Creepy Kidnapper, James Lee DiMaggio, Dead – 16 Year Old Hannah Anderson Safe

There will be a presser in Idaho around 10:00pm Eastern – She was rescued at 4:22pm Pacific Time

BREAKING(CNN) — James DiMaggio — the California murder suspect who allegedly kidnapped 16-year-old Hannah Anderson — was shot and killed in the Idaho wilderness, authorities said Saturday.

An FBI tactical agent killed DiMaggio around 5 p.m. (7 p.m. ET) near Morehead Lake, San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said. The teenage girl was found alive near him.

“She appears well and was rescued and will be transported to a hospital in Idaho,” Gore said.

Hannah Anderson was last seen at her cheerleading practice August 3; her mother and brother died in a fire at DiMaggio’s home in San Diego County the next day.

About 250 law enforcement personnel — among them about 150 FBI agents — had converged on the River of No Return Wilderness, about 15 miles outside Cascade, looking for DiMaggio and his captive.

In addition to guarding all ways out, they tried to cover 300 square miles of rough terrain frequented by nature lovers near where DiMaggio’s car was found Friday. Its license plates removed, the vehicle was hidden by brush in the vast River of No Return Wilderness.

“We know that any piece of information, any piece of evidence, any clue that we could find could be what we need to bring Hannah home safely,” Andrea Dearden, spokeswoman for the Ada County Sheriff’s Office, had told reporters Saturday afternoon.  (continue reading)

About these ads
This entry was posted in Police action, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Creepy Kidnapper, James Lee DiMaggio, Dead – 16 Year Old Hannah Anderson Safe

1. teajr says:

Thank Goodness. Hopefully she will be able to move on peacefully.

2. ctdar says:

Prayers answered.

3. Thank God!! This poor, poor girl. Thank God she still has her father, but her life is tragically changed forever. Many prayers for this family.

4. Sharon says:

I didn’t have a lot of hope for that to end well. So glad she has her father–and so glad her father has her.
    —————————–
    Excerpt from the article, quoting a friend of Hannah’s:

Chavez recalled a trip that DiMaggio and Hannah took to Hollywood. The trip was supposed to be for one week, but Hannah told Chavez that they came back after two days because DiMaggio was upset that she wasn’t paying enough attention to him.

Hannah is 16 years old, and apparently planned this one week trip to Hollywood, seemingly not against her parents’ wishes.

• kathyca says:

“Normal boundaries for safety considerations are missing, and her friend chats about this with media as a fill-in-the-background bit.”

Yes, it’s so strange that story. What family, no matter how friendly they are with a person, throws a teenaged girl and unrelated grown man alone together for a week? And what unrelated grown man wants to do that — this guy, that’s who? smh

• diwataman says:

I’m thinking this girl may be more involved then is being portrayed in the media. And why and how did they kill this guy? And explosives? Huh? What’s that based on?

• kathyca says:

Yes. I wonder how much she knew ahead of time. If she was privy to the “plan,” the question is how culpable she is given her age. If she wasn’t privy to the plan, then what’s a young girl to do, really?

This overall scenario is similar to a fairly recent case out of South Caroline (maybe?). Mother killed. Teenager “abducted” by mother’s boyfriend. They’re found together not too much later panhandling in SF if I remember correctly. There was a lot of evidence in that case that the girl was involved with the adult male and knew exactly what was going to happen to her mother. Hopefully, that’s not the case here.

• charlotte says:

?Stockholm syndrome? What kind of parents LET their 16 yr old go away with a 40 year old “family friend” I wouldnt even let my 22 yr old do that and yes I am TOUGH

• When I read about this and heard her friend speaking about it my first reaction was “What parent would let their teen-aged high school daughter, 16 years old, go on a week long trip with a 40 year old man for a week. A trip in which they shared a motel room?”
      From the description the friend gave of the trip being cut short because DiMaggio was “jealous” and “she wasn’t paying enough attention to him” sounds like they got into a typical teen-age boyfriend/girlfriend argument – very telling.
      I had a very close friend in high school – a very cute and popular girl – who ended up having an affair with the husband of her mother’s best friend. This couple was close, if not best, friends with my friend’s parents. They had been around her and in her home all of her life. He was in his 50s and she was 17 at the time. The entire thing was bizarre and beyond my understanding as a 16 year old. In fact, it was scary to me. This is the second thing that went through my mind.
      I don’t know anything about the specifics here, but it certainly sounds like the possibility is there that this man and teen-aged girl had an inappropriate relationship going on. I can see a scenario where her mother found out and confronted him. I certainly hope she was not complicit in any of the events that occurred resulting in the death of her mother and brother – that would be horribly devastating for her father and for her.
      Prayers for this family.

• Dianne says:

I agree Sharon. It seems very odd that no “red flags” went up (with her mother), when Hannah returned, several days early from her trip with DiMaggio to Hollywood and it was because DiMaggio said she wasn’t paying attention to him?? Did Hannah not think this was strange enough to pass the info to her Mom? Don’t get me wrong, I have been praying for her safe return, but there are many questions that need to be answered. Also, what really was the status of the relationship between Hannah’s Mom and Dad….again, strange.

5. sundance says:

I agree with Sharon. The whole abduction incident is creepy…. many issues there.

Its good that this part is over. It appears the FBI were the ones who actually brought this to its conclusion. Makes a good case for the FBI resources being used when needed by the local community.

6. stella says:

Such a blessing that things ended as they did – as well as can be expected. I just heard her father say that he did not know if Hannah is aware of the death of her mother and brother. That was on Judge Jeanine.

7. scaretactics says:

He really is one Creepy A** Cracka…

He’s creeping me out big- time.

8. michellc says:

We may never know everything, but I found it very strange that he was a family friend and that the family seemed to be aware from different statements I’ve heard that he had a thing for her. Which makes it even stranger that they allowed her go away with him for a week.
    I’ve had many family friends but I never would have allowed my daughter to spend the night with a man alone regardless of how good of a friend he is. If I knew or thought a grown man had a thing for my teenage daughter that man would no longer be a friend.
    I’m glad she’s safe though, it’s just beyond horrible that the young boy and mom had to die. That is heartbreaking.

9. hawkeye13 says:

Glad it ended well for the girl, sad about her family.. Glad that the folks that spotted the car and hikers spoke up..

10. Bailey says:

parental..oop bad with spell check

11. Bailey says:

Thinking maybe mom did confront the “friend” and everything exploded..Hug our kids extra tonight

12. justfactsplz says:

Prayers for this father and daughter. They have lost two loved ones. I was concerned that this might end badly. The parents were crazy letting her go on a trip with this man. I hope she was not involved in any way with what happened to her mother and brother.

13. czarowniczy says:

Well now, saves the state of California a great deal of time and money as well as seals the felon’s fate. Well done.

14. Moishe Pipik says:

Millions of Californians discovered that the Government can issue a special “Amber Alert” text message that overrides any “silent” settings you can have on your phone.

Apparently, there are three types of notifications including a special “presidential” alert–which can’t be turned off.

While I certainly don’t like to see children in trouble, it is also troubling that the Government thinks it owns the right to use my phone in an obtrusive manner any time it feels it has a need to.

• kathyca says:

Not sure if this addresses your concern, but it’s not done on a phone basis, but on a cell tower basis. If you’re in range, you’ll get one. If not, you won’t. Also, you can turn it off in your settings.

15. diwataman says:

This story keeps gnawing at the back of my brain. I know people just flip out and do crazy stuff like this but it just seems so odd to me. A 40 year old telecommunications technician for the Scripps Research Institute who likes to quote Shakespeare and King, who from I read could barely even camp good is suddenly a child molesting murderous terrorist survivalist all for a 16 year old girl? And they need 150 FBI agents to go in and kill him? WTF? Something just aint right here.

• John Galt says:

“And they need 150 FBI agents to go in and kill him?”

Makes me think that there are too many cops.

• LetJusticePrevail" says:

There is definitely something wrong with this picture, but I can’t put my finger on it. Her parents let her gone on a full week vacation with a 40 year old man, and HE cut the vacation short because SHE was spending too much time on her cell phone? One of her friends also said that DiMaggio had a “crush” on Hannah, and told Hannah about it, so Hannah stopped answering his texts an e-mails. But none of those e-mails or texts have been reported in the news?

• Lulu says:

Just when you think it can’t get more strange:

The Mail’s url goes a bit berserk. His father DID have a crush on a 16 year old classmate of James, Jr’s, and his father was the boyfriend of the girl’s mother. He went armed to the home of his girlfriend, found only the girl, her boyfriend and a friend there and threatened to kill them. A diversion occurred. No one was harmed. He later killed himself. Yesterday was apparently the anniversary of his suicide.

This came from the account of the 16 year old, now grown, who spoke with a local San Diego TV station reporter. Is it the truth? We’ll see.

• Lulu says:

From a Los Angeles Times article:

The hunt focused on a roughly 300-square-mile swath of rugged terrain. A haven for wolves, bears and mountain lions, the area is so remote that some searchers had to be flown in while others rode horses.

By Saturday afternoon, roughly 200 local and federal law enforcement officers were combing the federally protected hillsides. Eventually, with air crews circling the skies, a pair of U.S. marshals in a surveillance plane spotted the campsite, DiMaggio and the teen.

DiMaggio was said to be an experienced outdoorsman who had joined the Anderson family on camping trips. Authorities say he recently purchased backpacking equipment — a sign, they noted, that the abduction may have been planned.

I have been in one of these wilderness areas. The Bridger Wilderness Area in the Wind River Range (Grand Tetons). There is no access by car. One must walk in or go on horseback. Very remote, very rugged, very challenging. One of the things the person(s) on horseback observed as odd was that DiMaggio and Hannah were not dressed or prepared for such a place.

16. rovatek says:

Anyone else think that her brother resembles the kidnapper in the photos without the beard?

17. Lulu says:

A while ago I posted a link to a Daily Mail article which was based upon this local San Diego report:

Like father, like son? DiMaggio’s dad had violent past

• Lulu says:

The first post did not appear. It seems that DiMaggio’s father committed suicide years ago after having a crush on a 16 year old girl. That girl is now grown and gave her anonymous story to the San Diego CBS outlet. Is she credible? Some of her story is substantiated by news reports from that time. Did she embellish it? We’ll see.

18. diwataman says:

Apparently now he had a rifle and shot at them:

DiMaggio “fired at least one round” with a rifle before he was killed, Gore said, but wouldn’t provide further details about the rescue, citing the ongoing investigation.

Was it registered to him? Did he own guns? Did they observe him with it and went in when him and the girl were separated or was he able to get it somehow as they approached?

They must be pressing if she had any involvement by the sheriff’s reaction:

“…Hannah Anderson was a “victim in every sense of the word” and was not a willing participant in her kidnapping, San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said at a news conference Monday afternoon…”I can’t make it any clearer – she was a victim in this case, she was not a willing participant,” Gore said.”

Apparently the info about the shooting came from the girl not from the FBI:

“We have learned from debriefing and interviewing Hannah up in Idaho that DiMaggio did have a shoulder weapon and fired at least one shot,” Gore said.”

They say she didn’t know about her mom and brother:

“Hannah Anderson was held against her will and did not know that her mother and brother had been killed until she was rescued Saturday afternoon, San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore has confirmed, according to CBS affiliate KFMB.”

19. Judy says:

Something definitely isn’t right here. My intuition is telling me that this girl had more to do with this than we know. Anyone ever think that maybe she did the deed and that he was protecting her? It would not be the first time that a child murdered anyone who got in the way of something they wanted? Especially something they wanted that they should not have. She is having way too much fun with all the attention she is getting. It seems that she is really self centered, like talking about the great manicure, etc. Just another possible view of this crazy story.

20. Tim Sherman says:

On radio station KFI Bill Caroll talked about facebook pictures on James Lee DiMaggio, page showing Hannah posing at the Hollywood sign I want to see this picture and do not know how to find it….does any one know where to find these pictures???

21. Sandy Trooth says:

I have raised many children, and seen many girls who were 16 and young and sweet, but I have also seen many conniving, evil, sexually mature 16 year olds capable of any act. And no they were not abused as children. This girl was having a sexual affair with this man, had him wrapped around her little finger, managed to get him to put that money in her and her brothers name, and then didn’t wanna share it with her brother-or mother for that matter. She had help, but she did this crime, and then acted like little miss innocent kidnapped 16 year old child. Poor Dimaggio was an idiot, in love with a 16 year old, didn’t know she would do his behind in.