We Get Questions….

animated_computerGot a question you’ve been dying to ask, but you weren’t sure where or when to ask it?  Well, here’s a collaboratively edited question and answer thread that will be devoted entirely to the sharing of information from one to another.  We’re very fortunate to have quite a few “professional” bloggers and developers amongst us, as well as one that even runs his own forum.

Some examples of the most frequently asked questions include:

1.  How do I bold a comment, or change a font to Italic? th_DocumentCodeHTML_zpsd473cf59-1_zpsfa593e76

th_Smiley-photographer-ani_zpsca0544ac2.  How do I post a picture?

…………..3.  How do I make those smilies?

4.  Why aren’t my YouTube videos showing up?  th_youtube_sperrung_smiley_zpse12e67fe-1_zps8d9e91b4

th_link-to-single-tweet-title-image_zps6b588c2e-1_zps0cda56a95.  How do I post a single “Tweet”?

These are just a few of the most commonly asked ones… or perhaps you have a question about the site itself?  Also, feel free to practice what you’ve just learned too.  As “Jello333″ put it, “Have like a “scribble” page where anyone trying to learn new techniques can do it all in one place. Here, lemme try this…. nope, didn’t work… how ’bout this… aha!”  :-D

76aa8699a71a0be6f0617f17eb414c8cOh, and don’t let me forget to mention one of our newest Treepers, “nettles18″, as she was the inspiration behind this post.

About Ad rem

Millions of little gray cells wrapped in fur.
This entry was posted in Question - Answer Forum, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

244 Responses to We Get Questions….

1. Ad rem says:

I’ll start things off by reposting that very helpful tutorial “Diwataman” wrote on posting Tweets…
     photo postingtweets_zps857a6803.png

2. ctdar says:

Why does my candle above at the Prayer request tab turns blue sometimes? :roll:

3. WeeWeed says:

Practicing…..

4. nettles18 says:

Thank you! Practicing a type.

You guys respond fast! Thanks again.

5. BertDilbert says:

How about making a page with all the stuff we need and putting a link button somewhere for absent minded old farts like me? Like next to the Post Comment button? A page that is not affected by the special text characters so we can actually see the examples rather than playing a game. Look at poor nettles18 right now, she has been reduced to playing a game for 5 year olds in an attempt to communicate with admin.

Actually nettles, I think this is part of a new Trepper initiation game where the old Treppers sit back and laugh their asses off as you try to figure out the secret codes.

6. maggiemoowho says:

This is a wonderful idea, Thank You.
    I do have a question though and have always been to embarrassed to ask. Don’t laugh, but what does “bacon” mean.

7. BertDilbert says:

“but what does “bacon” mean.”

Well that depends if it is a stand alone bacon or combined with another word such as “making bacon”:. Bacon is synonymous with the word good….

8. Bijou says:

Fantastic idea. I’ve always wondered about the italic/bold thing.
    So bear with me while I try it out…
    Test
    Test

Test

9. Bijou says:

Woo-Hoo! It worked!
    That’s awesome!
    However, I got a strange message after I hit ‘Post’.
    It said not to touch the browser for five minutes and then hit ‘Refresh’.
    So I went and got some coffee, came back, hit ‘Refresh’ and it told me that I’d already posted that comment. Never seen anything like that before.
    Is that normal?

10. nameofthepen says:

This idea rocks! I wonder if there’s some way it can have a permanently-displayed little button to click, so it could remain visible, and directly accessible, without having to “site-search”, once it becomes historical?

11. nameofthepen says:

Ha ha…I think WordPress is doing some major site maintenance. I got caught in the “limbo” of the “Don’t touch your browser! Wait 5 minutes” page on my last post. Now on this one, the cursor is not showing as I type.

Anyway I’ve been dying to know how to embed a link into a word or phrase.

This is what worked for me when I last belonged to a blog years ago:

[URL=http://yourpethatesyou.com/a-horse-dressed-like-a-poodle]All-purpose pet[/URL]

OK. Here goes – hitting “Post comment” now.. Will it be game? Or just lame? :D

12. brutalhonesty says:

so does like [img] image link [/img] work here?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/GcOb6Xi.jpg?1[/img]

13. nettles18 says:

Practicing posting a tweet:

14. elvischupacabra says:

It’s also fun to use the strike-through code.

15. ottawa925 says:

(sigh) oh well. I thought “We Get Questions” might have included stuff like:

How can I meet the neighbor down the block without seeming obvious? or
    Why do my dogs block the TV?

seriously, this was a good idea fer sure and I’m expecting to see more highly crafted postings with flare. Good job !!

16. aliashubbatch says:

How do I leave a comment?

…wait…never mind…please drink responsibly.

17. nameofthepen says:

Still thrilled with my new toy!

One more round, and I promise I’ll put it away for the day. :D

Here’s some beautiful animal pictures.

18. jello333 says:

Now this is really cool! I only just now saw it, since I’ve spent the past few hours going through the GZ thread. But yeah, I’m definitely gonna bookmark this for future reference. Thanks guys!

19. Ad rem says:

Okay….apparently WordPress disables certain HTML functions (“sanitizes user input”) for security reasons: http://wpmu.org/enable-or-disable-all-html-tags-in-wordpress-author-biography-profiles/

“WordPress sanitizes user input for security reasons, not just to annoy you and make you go on a hunt to find this post to learn how to override the annoying setting.
    If you’re considering disabling the WordPress sanitization, make sure you trust your users to not enter potentially harmful content into their profile bios. This includes iframes, forms, and more.”

20. tara says:

Just testing here, testing testing testing testing testing testing

• jello333 says:

Hey, you freaked me out. I got an email notification, and so came to check out the new post. So I start reading through this, and I’m like, Hmm… this looks real familiar. Then I went back and checked my email. The notification wasn’t for new post, but new COMMENT. ;)

So yeah, lemme get in on this… testing, testing, 1, 2, 3….!

21. davsel says:

[IMG]http://userratings.kbb.com/3872api/332961/photo.jpg[/IMG]

22. LetJusticePrevail" says:

OK, I created a set of instructions about called

HOW TO GRAB A SCREENCAP AND THEN INSERT IT IN A CTH COMMENT:

23. LetJusticePrevail" says:

I ALSO HAVE SOME INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW YOU CAN POST A SINGLE VIDEO FROM A YOUTUBE “PLAYLIST” AND HOW TO POST ANY YOUTUBE VIDEO AT A GIVEN “STARTING POINT”:

How to play a single video from a Youtube Playlist

24. nyetneetot says:

All questions are for command line use in UNIX environments.

Q: How do you display your running kernel version? (Solaris, AIX, Linux)
    A: uname -a, uname -r

Q: Which command do you use to display a table of running processes? (Solaris, AIX, Linux)
    A: ps

Q: Which file do you modify to configure a domain name resolver? (Solaris, AIX, Linux)
    A: /etc/resolv.conf

Q: Which file contains a list of locally defined hostnames and corresponding IP addresses? (Solaris, AIX, Linux)
    A: /etc/hosts

Q: How do you display a routing table? (Solaris, AIX, Linux)
    A: netstat –rn, route –n, Linux – ip route

Q: Which command would you use to view partitions and their sizes on Solaris?
    A: prtvtoc devicename or format

Q: Which OpenBoot command would you use to print/view OpenBoot environment variables on a SUN server?
    A: printenv

Q: What does “ypwhich” command do? (Solaris, AIX, Linux)
    A: Returns name of NIS master server

Q: What is the name and location of a SCSI disk configuration file on Solaris (maps WWNs to SCSI devices)
    A: /kernel/drv/sd.conf

Q: which command would you use to create an OS user on Solaris and Linux?
    A: useradd, Linux – adduser
    CA:

Q: Which file contains passwords for local users on Solaris, Linux and on AIX?
    A: Solaris, Linux – /etc/shadow, AIX – /etc/security/passwd

Q: Which command would you use to list partitions on Linux?
    A: cat /proc/partitions or fdisk –l or sfdisk –l

Q: Which command/commands would you use to manage installed packages on RedHat Linux?
    A: rpm

Q: Which commands would you use to manage installed packages on Solaris? (name at least 2)
    A: pkginfo, pkgadd, pkgrm

Q: Which CVS command would you use to get a file from CVS repository?
    A: cvs co filename, or cvs checkout filename

Q: Which CVS command would you use to add a file to CVS repository?
    A: cvs add filename, then cvs commit

Q: What command would you use to install an OS patch on Solaris?
    A: patchadd

Q: Which Veritas command would you use to display a list of Veritas volumes?
    A: vxprint -v

Q: Which Veritas command would you use to display a list of disks on a system?
    A: vxdisk list

Q: What is the main system configuration utility in AIX?
    A: smit or smitty

Q: Which file has a list of filesystems to be mounted at boot time on Solaris, Linux and AIX?
    A: Linux – /etc/fstab, Solaris – /etc/vfstab, AIX – /etc/filesystems

Q: Which Veritas Cluster Server command would you use to display the status of a cluster and it’s resources?
    A: hastatus

Q: Which command would you use to rename a disk for VMware Guest virtual machine on ESX server 3 storage volume?
    A: vmkfstools -E

Q: Which command would use on VMware ESX 3 server to display virtual switch configuration?
    A: esxcfg-vswitch -l

I’ll carry on, oh yes I will

• nyetneetot says:

<abbr>Me and my arrow
        </abbr>
        <acronym>Taking the high road
        </acronym>
        <blockquote>Wherever we go, everyone knows
        </blockquote>
        <cite>It’s me and my arrow
        </cite>
        <code>And in the morning when I wake up
        </code>
        <del>She may be gone, I don’t know
        </del>
        <strike>And we make up just to break up
        </strike>
        <strong>I’ll carry on, oh yes I will
        </strong>

26. nyetneetot says:

Little White Duck
    Music by Walt Burrows
    Words by Bernard Zaritzky
    copyright 1950 by General Music Publishing Co. Inc.

There’s a little white duck sitting in the water,
    A little white duck doing what he oughter,
    He took a bite of a lily pad,
    Flapped his wings and he said, “I’m glad
    I’m a little white duck sitting in the water,
    Quack! Quack! Quack!”
    There’s a little green frog swimming in the water,
    A little green frog doing what he oughter,
    He jumped right off of the lily pad,
    That the little duck bit and he said, “I’m glad
    I’m a litttle green frog swimming in the water,
    Glig! Glug! Glug!”
    There’s a little black bug floating in the water,
    A little black bug doing what he oughter,
    He tickled the frog on the lily pad,
    That the little duck bit and he said, “I’m glad
    I’m a little black bug floating on the water,
    Bzz! Bzz! Bzz!”
    There’s a little red snake playing in the water,
    A little red snake doing what he oughter,
    He frightened the duck and the frog so bad,
    He ate the bug and he said, “I’m glad
    I’m a little red snake playing on the water,
    Hiss! Hiss! Hiss!
    Now there’s nobody left sitting in the water,
    Nobody left doing what he oughter,
    There’s nothing left but the lily pad,
    The duck and the frog ran away; I’m sad
    ‘Cause there’s nobody left sitting in the water,
    Boo! Hoo! Hoo!

27. nyetneetot says:

Lady of Spain CTH, I adore you
    Right from the night I first saw you,
    My heart has been yearning for you;
    What else could any heart do?

Lady of CTH, I’m appealing,
    Why should my lips be concealing
    All that my eyes are revealing?
    Lady of CTH, I love you.

28. nyetneetot says:

redactedredacted

29. nyetneetot says:

.site-content {
    background-color: #c7dbff; /* replace with any desired hex value */
    }

Trying something I shouldn’t.

30. nyetneetot says:
            <a href="overview.html" title="AccessKey: a" rel="nofollow">Firm Overview</a>
            <a href="expertise.html" title="AccessKey: b" rel="nofollow">Our Areas of Expertise</a>

<a href="tech1.html" title="AccessKey: m" rel="nofollow">Consulting Services</a>
                <a href="tech2.html" title="AccessKey: n" rel="nofollow">Partner Services</a>
                <a href="tech3.html" title="AccessKey: o" rel="nofollow">Support Packages</a>
                <a href="tech4.html" title="AccessKey: p" rel="nofollow">Remote Support</a>
                <a href="tech5.html" title="AccessKey: q" rel="nofollow">Managed Services</a>

<a href="biographies.html" title="AccessKey: c" rel="nofollow">Firm Biographies</a>
            <a href="help.html" title="AccessKey: d" rel="nofollow">Project? We Can Help</a>
            <a href="testimonials.html" title="AccessKey: e" rel="nofollow">Testimonials</a>
            <a href="projects.html" title="AccessKey: f" rel="nofollow">Our Recent Projects</a>
            <a href="jobs.html" title="AccessKey: g" rel="nofollow">Join Our Team</a>
            <a href="contact.html" title="AccessKey: h" rel="nofollow">Contact Us</a>
            <a href="form.html" title="AccessKey: y" rel="nofollow">Online Contact Form</a>
            <a href="links.html" title="AccessKey: i" rel="nofollow">Links</a>

31. nyetneetot says:

li {list-style-type: disc;}
    V7000 Installation
    SAN switch Installation

• nyetneetot says:

Arial, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
      Arial, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif

Arial Black, Arial Black, Gadget, sans-serif
      Arial Black, Arial Black, Gadget, sans-serif

Comic Sans MS, Comic Sans MS5, cursive
      Comic Sans MS, Comic Sans MS5, cursive

Courier New, Courier New, monospace
      Courier New, Courier New, monospace

32. nyetneetot says:

this one will only change
    #blog_center .item_class .item_class_text {
    color:#CCCCCC;
    font-size:13px;
    line-height:20px;

When it comes to writing, most mistakes are—in and of themselves—forgivable. No professional is going to round-file your manuscript or screenplay because of a few isolated mistakes. Unless, of course, they’re Really Big Mistakes. This post is about one of those Really Big Mistakes…

while the one have above will change whole box
    You can change both see you can always change them back.

33. nyetneetot says:

… your text here …

34. nyetneetot says:

Like this: Happy Birthday

35. nyetneetot says:

Coffee
    Tea
    Milk

36. nyetneetot says:

January 31, 2013 at 12:46 am

Here are 3 more HTML &#8220;Tags&#8221; you might find useful&#8230;.and they&#8217;re supported in all major browsers.

1. Underline: underline