Last week the New York unionized School Bus Drivers went on strike. The city currently pays an average of $6,900 per student for transportation. Yes, that’s right, $6,900.00 per student, a rate that is totally unsustainable.

So the city wants to put the bus contract up for bid. The drivers are beside themselves because their employment will not be guaranteed by the next contract bidder(s).

undefinedNEW YORK [excerpt] – [...] The nationwide attention that strikes, rooted in very local fights, tend to receive now is another indication of how unions have weakened in recent decades. “It’s sad that it’s seen as a novelty,” says Zev Eigen, associate professor of law at Northwestern University.

It also means that unions have to pick their fights carefully, he says, because public sympathy will go down if a strike is not tied to a substantial issue of fairness.

At the heart of the bus strike is a dispute over the bidding process for a bus contract to replace one due to expire in June.

The school district currently spends an average of $6,900 per year for each bused student, more than double the cost of the next most expensive district of Los Angeles.

“It is just irrational for us to keep spending this amount of money unless there’s no alternative, and we’re going to find out whether there’s an alternative by putting the contracts out to bid,” said Mayor Bloomberg Wednesday.

New York City Schools already got new contracts for pre-K busing, and officials say that will save $95 million over five years. The current bid under dispute is for 1,100 routes that serve K-12 students with disabilities, but the union is striking beyond those routes.

In its call for bids, the city did not include an employee protection provision (EPP), which calls for any new contractor to place at the top of its hiring list the current drivers and bus matrons (whether union members or not) based on seniority. The EPP also covers wages and benefits (the pension for union members is private).

[...] Without the EPPS, the call for bids “almost demands lower wages … and you get what you pay for,” says Mr. Ott. For at least four or five years, he predicts, less expensive, and therefore less experienced, drivers and matrons would be playing catch-up. According to the union, the average salary for the drivers and matrons is $35,000.

But others predict that a new bus company would be likely to hire the experienced local workers, even without the EPP.

“In most cases, when a new bus contractor wins a bid, they are smarter to hire the current drivers [who have] passed the difficult state licensing [and are] familiar with the route and the children,” says John Spang, assistant superintendent for finance and operations at the Avon Public Schools. (read more)

About these ads
This entry was posted in Bailouts, Dem Hypocrisy, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized, Union Activity - ALL. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Help Hide The Selfish – New York Bus Drivers On Strike, But Notice The Media Isn’t Covering

1. brutalhonesty says:

I have a female friend who is a school bus monitor in collinsville illinois. they negotiated a contract and she is awaiting backpay. anyway I said unions are evil, and we had an argument….she says with a union, she is guaranteed pay for…..say 4 hours, even if she only goes on a 1 hour run. I gave up arguing with her, due to her mental disorder of liberalism the idea that pay should be for services rendered was totally lost on her. She got upset and was saying why should she have to work there and not get her 20 hours or whatever it was…and I kept saying “because you didnt earn it”

• canadacan says:

I guess Obama’s children will have to get a second job. there ain’t no free lunch. that’s a bunch of really intelligent looking specimens I must say. Doesn’t Bloomberg know that he’s being racist and anti union. I thought he was socially proactive or something,a progressive.

• BertDilbert says:

To be fair, nobody is going to show up to work for one hour. Number of people showing up for a one hour shift would be…zero.

2. TandCrumpettes says:

I’m really stunned….$35,000 a year?

Admittedly, I’d hate to have to put up with all those unruly kids. The eating, the yelling, getting up, backtalk, fighting….yuck.

But, I don’t know, I might be able to put up with it for 35 big ones. And I’d be thankful I had a job that paid so well.

Imagine my suprise when I went to college, maintained a high GPA, obtained my bachelors, got myself a job and made……$8 an hour.

• BertDilbert says:

I do not know if it is a far wage or not. The cost savings to the city could be jacked up benefits the union tacks on to the hourly wage. Wages are relative to the state/area you live in.

When I moved to Florida from Hawaii, I was shocked at the low wages offered.
      But food was a hell of a lot cheaper as was rent. I was able to find an apartment on the water for $260 a month. Moving from FL to CA, I obtained higher wages but my rent nearly doubled and it was not even close to the water.

• czarowniczy says:

Lemme tell ya’ how it woiks in da Fedruh gummint: I left the active duty military got my MBA, and went to work for the USDA. I worked for a succession of members of various Federally protected groups, one of whom had a Master in American Literature (???), the only other ‘degreed’ person in the unit had a bachelor’s degree. I never even made the first cut for a the supervisory position as I lacked the ‘education and experience’, according to HRO – all of the supervisors were at least ten years younger than I and had minimal experience relative to the field. When I complained to the next tier of supervision that I was tired of training my supervisors in what they should be doing and felt I should be promoted into one of the slots I was told that my job was to make the newbies look good and if there was a bone left after the feast I just might get it tossed my way. I could round up a good dozen of specialists in USDA from other fields who have the same problem – people with MS’s in biological sciences working for folk who have undergrad degrees in ethnic studies. So much, on this day, for content of one’s character. Could be worse though, on eof my USDA folk could be driving your kid’s school bus…

3. Kim says:

I am a school bus driver and work 5 hours a day. I only make $18,000 a year (drive for 200 days per year). Most of these drivers probably only work a max 4 hours a day for 180 days and make $35,000? Must be for combat pay if you know what I mean.

4. mcfyre2012 says:

They make $35K a year?!? Holy crap! Talk about fraud, waste, and abuse.

They tax payers are getting royally screwed on that deal.

5. Josh says:

January 2013
    Supreme Court Upholds Pension Changes
    “The Florida Supreme Court in a 4-3 decision has upheld sweeping changes the state made in 2011 to the public employee retirement system.”
    “…change to the law that required employees to contribute 3 percent of their salaries to their pensions…”
    We can expect an unfair fight when Governor Scott comes up for election.

6. mcfyre2012 says:

It was quite amusing to see the state workers whine about having to contribute a meager THREE CENTS of every dollar they make to help fund their own retirements…after years of tax payers funding the entire amount…ungrateful dolts.

7. chitownmom says:

What am I missing? $6900/year per student, but a bus driver gets $35,000/year. Assuming a bus hold an average of 50 kids, that’s $345000 year year per bus. Where is the rest going?