Monday Open Thread – January 7th

Tomb of the Unknown ChristmasOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

131 Responses to Monday Open Thread – January 7th

1. Sharon says:

Judge Jeanine Pirro is one of the people in Westchester County whose name and address was publicized in the Journal News because she’s a legal gun owner. As a former District Attorney and Judge who has put criminals behind bars, their actions have made her less safe. Now that conservatives have retaliated by posting the personal information of Journal News editors online, she enjoyed a little schadenfreude, Saturday evening on her Fox TV show, Justice With Jeanine Pirro, crowing, “don’t you love it when the tables are turned?”

2. Sharon says:

Whatever it is you reeaaallyreeeeaaaalllyreeealyreally want to believe the “conservatives in Congress” will actually do–you’re wasting your beliefs on a deception. Time to git dis-illusioned.

Only 17 votes against Boehner were required to force a second ballot, but the group wanted to have insurance.

Even with 24 members, the group would easily have been able to force a second ballot round, but the effort was aborted in frenetic discussions on the House floor.

• canadacan says:

Read Erik Erikson at Red State today.
      The most important thing going is the proposed rules change in the Senate by McaCain. .
      And. Levin. Hopefully Ron Paul will prevail it’s our only chance
      Some hopeful stuff by Erik Erikson he made some good points.

• canadacan says:

I mean Senator Rand Paul . The son not. The. Father

• howie says:

Yep. They should bail out of the GOP and join the constitution party. It would be a start. They can still caucus with them if they want to but would have their own leader.

• canadacan says:

I find it interesting that Rand Paul son who is 19 got picked up for underage drinking. in Canada 19 is an age when you can be drinking if you wish. Rand Paul is critical to the Senate right now for the conservative I smell a rat maybe, I despise conspiracy theories. also Senator Paul is in Israel right now. the Conservatives need him to get home right now back to the Senate for that rules mess we need him at home.

3. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ peeps!

Photobucket

• howie says:

The last thing the Democrats want is for over 50% of the people to be taxpayers. That would cut in to their base. They have to keep the golden ratio of more taxtakers than taxpayers.

• elvischupacabra says:

Ironically, had the “Bush Tax Cuts” expired, it would’ve resurrected the 15% tax bracket and put more people back on the tax roles. So much for the bullsh!t we’ve heard for 10 years from the Democrats about how these cuts went to (everybody together, now…) “the wealthiest Americans”.

• howie says:

I thought it did go back to 15% from 10%. At least that is what it appears in the bill. But in any event the Democrats need less taxpayers and more taxtakers. Less jobs helps them get elected. As long as they can keep over 50% of the voters free of income tax they win. Romney was wrong about the 47%. Turns out it is 53%. Enough to keep the Locust’s in power.

• allhail2 says:

Had a 53%er in front of me at WMart last night. She had a WIC check and was complaining about every item. She was trying to buy things that WIC did not cover. Finally, after discarding about 15 items she gets to the milk and good gawd. WIC covers low fat or 1%, which is not what she was buying. After listening to the debate, I blurted out, “For crying out loud she is paying with unearned taxpayer money. Finish the transaction, and I will buy the damn milk for you since I am paying for it anyway.” She gave me the how dare I tell everyone her business speech. To which I replied, “As long as you live off the govt, you are the public’s business, so shut your mouth, get your stuff, and get out.” She never let me buy her the milk. She just left it on the belt.

I did apologize to the cashier for my “display.” She responded, “No need. Inside, I was jumping for joy. We have to just sit and take it all day long.”

• howie says:

I do think the 10% bracket has “disappeared”. The lowest bracket is 15% now. It is hard to pin it down.

4. ctdar says:

Something’s up with “Sands of America” Avatar? Image doesn’t show up on recent post list and when I quickly checked 2 threads of his multiple posts this morning I did not see his comment listed

5. ctdar says:

Cpl Joshua Boston(Marine that wrote letter to Feinstein) live on Fox

6. WeeWeed says:

Ted Cruz, already getting off on the wrong foot…… :D

7. cajunkelly says:

Nothing like a nice chuckle on a dreary Monday morning, at the expense of low information obama voters:

open wide and take your medicine idiots

8. cajunkelly says:

Off to the salt mines….no longer infectious I’m told…but cough may linger 3 weeks. :(

Y’all have a good ‘un!

• cajunkelly says:

Well that worked out really well….not. Back home and waitin for the doc’s office to call me back. Relapse? grrrrr I want a shot! of somethin…even if it’s a shot of super duper strength Nyquil.

9. howie says:

Can anyone confirm the number of tax brackets for 2013. I think there are now 5 with the lowest rate being 15%. There were 6 before the bill with the lowest rate 10%. But I cant find the info.

• WeeWeed says:

I’ll try to email our payroll peeps today to see if there’s an “official” chart, yet…. I doubt that Turbo-Tax has their changes in, yet, either.

• howie says:

They may have increased the lowest rate from 10% to 15%. If so Obama is raising taxes on the working poor and the working rich.

• aliashubbatch says:

Gonna say he did raise taxes on the low income crowd. I got my W2 and after goin through all the info, somehow I’m getting less than what I recieved last year (and that just has me seething :evil: .)

• Josh says:

Marching orders (so to speak) for those in Personnel come from the Publication 15 aka Circular E. Problem is, the most recent one is dated Jan. 10, 2012. Even the IRS cannot keep up with the changes so that they have stated:
      “Future developments. The IRS has created a page on IRS.gov for information about Publication 15 (Circular E), at http://www.irs.gov/pub15. Information about any future developments affecting Publication 15 (Circular E) (such as legislation enacted after we release it) will be posted on that page.”

Last thursday I received a payroll update from my accounting software support folks. I asked them how did they know what changes to implement. They basically said they are winging it (my words). They said to expect more updates.

They just updated (as far as most people are concerned) the 2% Social Security (OASDI) increase. I’ve heard that others have decided to increase the Withholding by the assumed proposed increase of 4% as well.

Forbes states there will now be six tax brackets.

As I understand it most workers (that’s what they call us now, isn’t it?) will see an increase in their withholding sometime this year by about 4%. It’s so hard to know what is going on because they will not put it in writing!

10. anwtex says:

I am so concerned for my Country.
    May God bless Her and keep Her safe from the enemies within.

I get tears in my eyes each time Mark (Levin) plays this on his program.

~~America The Beautiful~~

11. cajunkelly says:

guide her…through this dark night we are being driven into…

Please God…

• GracieD says:

Amen!

• anwtex says:

Thanks for posting cajunkelly! Sheesh! The chills! Beautifuly done, Martina.

2 Chronicles 7:14

“…if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

• cajunkelly says:

Yes, I believe in and cling to that scripture with every fiber of my being anwtex.

The problem as I see it is those who *do* believe that scripture are so far outnumbered by those who do not, that the believers will be punished because of those non believers.

Will the humility, prayers and cries of the few who accept and acknowledge that we are His people suffice?

I pray that, like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, He’ll stand in the flames with us and we shall not burn.

12. cajunkelly says:

Tex Tillis, from Tex’s Snake Removals, who removed the reptile, said the coastal python, or carpet snake, wasn’t trying to hurt the child.
    “The snake, not in any way, shape or form, had intended to eat the baby – it was trying to have a group hug,” he told The Daily Telegraph.

Oh….my….Lord. Yes, I do realize it’s useless to yell profane adjectives at an inanimate object (laptop screen) but some reactions just can’t be suppressed.

• Josh says:

This is an example of why we need to print, document, keep, store information. They are changing information before our very eyes.

13. 22tula says:

“The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin” 1 of 5 playlist

14. Josh says:

10,000 singing Beethoven – Ode an die Freude / Ode to Joy / 歓喜に寄せて

Will we ever see Muslims get together to sing so beautifully? I hope so.
    (and I mean with NO dancing boys)
    Music truly is a universal language.

15. cajunkelly says:

(sigh) So frustrated. I have made a few current event investments lately that I’d like to ask opinions from other interested parties about, but there’s no way to do PMs here.

I’m too paranoid to ask openly. BTW, it’s not paranoia when they really *are* out to get ya.

We’ve been driven into hiding over our constitutional rights.

• aliashubbatch says:

How is your flu?

• cajunkelly says:

Well I went to work this AM, lasted about 1.5 hours. Thought I was over the hump…nyet. :( Idiots had the heat way too high. Couldn’t breathe. Came home, called doc and he’s calling in more meds. (phone just rang in fact…..doc callin to tell me they called ‘em in…gotta head out to get it) holy CRAP! He called in four new scripts. Concerned ’bout it turning in to pneumonia. No fever any more, just feel like crap on a cracker. Thanks for askin. :)

• aliashubbatch says:

Good to know you’re feeling a little better. Went to my mothers house yesterday for help with the W2, and my stepfather is feeling under the weather.

• Josh says:

I’ve thought the same thing. It would be great to be able to trust someone. Anyone…

16. cajunkelly says:

I have a relative who owns a (new) gun and pawn shop. Was talking with them recently and according to them if feinstain gets her way 75% of what they currently stock will immediately become illegal to sell. So basically feinstain’s goose-stepper law would put them out of business. There goes about 30 jobs.

Of course they quoted the grandfather clause with the registration requirement.

The common consensus is that people in this deeply red state WILL NOT register. Ain’t happening. Not one person coming in that store has said they’ll register.

If I understand correctly the registration fee will be $200.00 per gun per year. That in and of itself is prohibitive for the “financially less fortunate”. Why aren’t the filthy progs screaming that this isn’t FAIR? Maybe I shouldn’t mention that. Next the “less fortunate” will insist that their fees should be waived or paid by those “more fortunate”. Yeah, the rich gun owners should pay *their* “fair share” AND the share for the “less fortunate”, right? /sarc

17. recoverydotgod says:

Drudge posted this link…”picks fight with GOP”…

The subtitle should be….”Hagel….shiny, new penny….look over here”!

Who Might Serve in a Second Obama Administration?
    By George E. Condon Jr.
    November 7, 2012

-snip-
    Changes in the White House staff take on even more importance because Obama has not championed strong Cabinet governance. “His White House did not give his Cabinet a lot of running room or a lot of responsibility,” Galston said, noting that folks at the White House, not in the Cabinet departments, played the lead role on almost every major issue in the past four years.
    -snip-

[note the pic run with the article]

The GOP should send Pres. Obama a link to the September 11, 2012 pic of his advisors and ask if the Secretary of Defense was in the room.

18. mung says:

I am posting this here because I didn’t know where else to post it. I am very confused by the responses to many of my posts. It seems like I am chastised if I am not 100% totally on board with every off the wall conspiracy theory that is posed. What is so wrong with me not believing things which follow the pattern of every other theory that has been debunked in the past, until someone can provide actual solid evidence. While I understand the government does some very bad things and covers things up, there is a big leap between that and thinking that Hilliary Clinton is a lizard. I just wish that people would use the same deductive reasoning they have used for the great work on the George Zimmerman threads and put the other stories to the same tests. The thread about the woman at Sandy Hook being the same woman who was at the lawyer for the Aurora shooter which was so easily debunked should be a clue as to how these rumors turn into conspiracy theories so fast. We bash the news for not checking their facts, but then we are so quick to speculate on these connections which are such a stretch they aren’t even funny. If we want to hold others to standards we should hold ourselves to those same standards. So please if anyone has actual, unedited, source controlled, documentation that proves any of the off the wall theories then lets put them out there and analyze them, but until then it is just conjecture.

• Josh says:

Of which “off the wall theories” do you speak?

• Josh says:

And sometimes yes “it is just conjecture”. And sometimes we are just noodling ideas…

• michellc says:

I’m sorry if you feel as if I chastise you, that is not what I’m doing and I don’t think anyone else who disagrees with you are chastising you either, they’re just expressing their differing opinion.

• WeeWeed says:

Oh, Mung – we all “cuss and dis-cuss.” It helps all of us work it out, post our thoughts/fears/disbeliefs and we all get along. You know what kinda crap is out there – sometimes it helps to lay it out on the table and just – get it over with. Ya know?

• mung says:

Some of the responses I have gotten have been almost to the point that I am not conservative enough to be here or something like that if I am not totally on board with full blown Illuminati running the world with the help of the lizard people conspiracy theories.

• texan59 says:

Mung – everyone is welcome here, IMHO. But…..ya gotta bring your A game and thick skin. This is a tough crowd. It’s hardly ever personal – unless you’re a wack-job paulbot. Then it’s personal. :lol: It takes a lot of time and reading to put together a cogent argument. If folks wanna argue for the sake of arguing, they’re gonna get eaten up. Learn which sites are fairly trustworthy and which ones tend to the tin-foil conspiracy crowd. Not that we don’t use a lot of tin-foil around here on occasion. Like Joe Friday used to say – just the facts.

• WeeWeed says:

Nah. Iz just us – but I do not like the imagery of lizard peeps. You are too young to remember Little Green Footballs, prolly, but boy that was a trip….. :shock:

19. Josh says:

“chastised” is just too strong a word to use on this blog. I’ve seen no real chastising here. Others questioning the notions of some yes but true chastising, no.

20. ThatOldGuy says:

This ought to go viral. The main cop on the Biden Committee (looking to ban firearms) has a son who was convicted of plotting a Columbine-style attack at his school. This source is the same as the one who broke the Fast and Furious story, but he supplies links from mainstream media to prove it is the case anyway in the link.

This could defeat the Biden Committee before their report is even released.

21. ctdar says:

Patrick Kennedy (Teddy’s son) and cousin Christopher Lawford discussing drugs & alcohol addiction & lawfords memoir about his struggles on O’Reilly.
    insightful

• ctdar says:

Kennedy admitted started drinking at 13

• texan59 says:

At least he came by it honest. Just goes to show that all that money and power does not inoculate anyone from piss-poor parenting and keeps the fun in dysfunction. :evil:

• ctdar says:

That’s the first thing he said, parents need to recognize potential addiction issues as young as possible, especially if it runs in family. Well i guess Ted & ex Mrs must’ve been to fu$&ed up all during their kids’ childhoods to notice their own young kids drunk or drugged
          :evil:

• texan59 says:

Hopefully he will raise his kids a little differently. I’m thinking that after being raised by nanny’s and hardly ever seeing your parents would somewhat warp your sense of reality.

• ctdar says:

That’s why after having children I pretty much was stay at home (taught art part time & volunteered) when they were little and now as they age there are so many temptations for young people when left on their own I still am hands on.
              Very sad to see some of my son’s friends that we’ve known since he was 5 now 11 years later a product of absentee parents (mother did not work, just very self absorbed, father workaholic, never around) with drugs, alcohol, poor grades, multiple school suspensions, etc.
              My son knows he is never to get in a car or be at a party where these kids may be…no discussion. Our job as parents is to get children through childhood as best you can, it’s worth every moment to put your life on hold to ensure their well being.

• WeeWeed says:

I wonder how many shots for the name “Mary Jo Kopeche?”

22. cajunkelly says:

well well well

face and voice recognition via onboard cameras

• WeeWeed says:

If Samsungs start ratting, I’ll report two dead ones. In time.

• ctdar says:

watch their stock collapse

• texan59 says:

Nope. All the lazy-ass folks in the world will think this is cool. They don’t even have to change the remote anymore. Kinda like that stupid black box that Progressive is advertising. Way too Big Bro for me. Now, if my Samsung fridge could recognize when I’m about outa beer, or my stove would know that I’d like steak and shrimp for dinner, I might be all in on that. :lol:

• Sharon says:

Tomorrow is when we have our cable disconnected.

• Josh says:

Sharon,
        Hopefully in a few months or so you’ll let us know how you are faring without a television.
        My life is much easier without one however I have not been without a radio.

• Sharon says:

It will not be a problem. We watch very little TV. We hadn’t had cable for 20 years when we relocated to OR anyway. One of the factors in even trying the local version was because the alphabets don’t have much air reception here, and we like our football. ;) I’m going to check on having the internet run to the TV so we can do some streaming…don’t know what the costs are involved with that yet.

23. WeeWeed says:

I’m pretty unhappy with the game, so far.

24. Arkindole says:

Some interesting info on Lanza’s equipment, shooting style (frequent magazine changes), and bullets (holes?) in some cars in the parking lot.
    Speculation that Lanza was using a FPS style “reload” characteristic found in video games.

———————–
    “the earplugs are not the only evidence that shows Lanza might have carried habits either from the shooting range or the virtual world of video games into his real-world massacre.

Lanza changed magazines frequently as he fired his way through the first-grade classrooms of Lauren Rousseau and Victoria Soto, sometimes shooting as few as 15 shots from a 30-round magazine, sources said.

More than a week after the shooting, investigators were still finding bullets under doors and in carpets and walls in the school as they tried to match the casings to the magazines.

Investigators are aware that frequent reloading is common in violent video games because an experienced player knows never to enter a new building or room without a full magazine so as not to risk running out of bullets. This has led them to speculate privately that this might be a reason that he replaced magazines frequently.

Investigators have not said how many shots Lanza fired with the Bushmaster semiautomatic rifle after he entered the school by firing half a dozen rounds through the glass at the school entrance. Sources said that he fired approximately 150 rounds during the shooting spree.

Besides the earplugs, he was wearing all black clothes under a drab olive green utility vest with pockets filled with 30-round magazines for the Bushmaster.

Lanza left a shotgun, capable of firing 20 rounds, in the trunk of the car. All of the guns were registered to his mother, Nancy Lanza, and appear to have been bought legally between 2010 and 2012, sources said.

Police also found bullets outside the school in the parking lot, including some in at least three cars belonging to school personnel, including Rousseau’s car. Earlier this month, state police brought the cars used by the first Newtown police officers to arrive at the school back to the scene to try to determine if perhaps Lanza was shooting at them when they arrived. No police cars were hit and no officers have reported that they believed they were fired upon….”

• cajunkelly says:

Or he could’ve just dumped half spent magazines because they failed to feed. Crappy cheap magazines can and often do feed fail.
      I heard someone say he’d gone “jungle style” with his magazines….two taped together in opposing positions affording a flip and fire reload. True or not? hellifiknow and ain’t got a clue where he would have learned that tactic.

Fact is…he was evil and insane. Anyone who kills another human without just cause is evil and insane…period. That’s why I oppose the “insanity plea”.

25. texan59 says:

Looks like The Tide brought ‘em a case of this tonight.