Saturday Open Thread – December 29th

Tomb of the Unknown ChristmasOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to Saturday Open Thread – December 29th

1. rumpole2 says:

Many people, me included, say “one day I will write a book”

A friend of mine has actually been and gone and done it!!

After about six years it is finally published. A sort of Sci-fi black comedy :D

IGNORANCE theory by kj nelson

Paperback ($10.99) and Kindle ($3.99), available at amazon.com

Discussion at Random Topics

I have read it, and enjoyed it a lot.

I guess it had hints of Douglas Adams and “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy”…

• rumpole2 says:

MANY THANKS Sundance for permitting this blatant sales pitch :D

• rumpole2 says:

You might think I am making this up…. but honestly I am not.
      The author of this book is as nutty about cats as I am… perhaps even worse. About a year ago, she hand reared a litter of 4 kittens, from very young, hand feeding them with an eye dropper. And has since reared other abandoned kittens. The proceeds from sales of this book were intended to go towards looking after more kittens :)
      However, the proceeds for January are now committed to a breast cancer sufferer
      Team Billi Jo

• rumpole2 says:

One of the hand reared kittens:

Photobucket

• WeeWeed says:

Awwwwww… :D

• canadacan says:

Now that’s a real pretty cat

• rumpole2 says:

Correction: There were 5 kittens, not 4 as I stated.
              KJ ended up keeping 2 of them along with 3 existing cats… and now yet another kitten added.
              The kittens were referred to as “Birdies”, and the one pictured feeding is also called “Birdie”… He remains cute :D

Photobucket

Photobucket

• rumpole2 says:

Correction SHE remains cute!!!

• oriana88 says:

Hello, Rumpole2! We seem to have a lot in common: we come here, I love Rumpole1, as I guess you do, and I love cats! We have a 16 year old, hand-me-down tabby, that looked just like Birdie when he was a kitten. He now looks like Mog in the English children’s book series. Even though, for the first time in his life, he’s not the “low cat on the totem pole”, he’s still a “scaredy cat”. But, in his own “cat that walked by himself” way, he spends more and more time near us. It’s a pleasure to see him so happy and so much more sure of himself!

I’ll check out your friend’s book.

• rumpole2 says:

Thanks.
                    She needs some sales… an ultimately kittens will benefit :D
                    And yes we have being cat nuts in common :D
                    If, by Rumpole1, you mean the TV and book character created by John Mortimer, then yes I am a fan of “Rumpole of The Bailey”. The “2” is only because WordPress seems to have stuffed up my registration as “Rumpole” I have been Rumpole on line across several sites for 4 years.
                    Please check my forum “Random Topics”

• stellap says:

Pretty tabby cat!

• Josh says:

Don’t get me started…

Sometimes I think “owning” animals should be a right and not a privilege. There are so many that are on their own.

About three months ago I got a call about a kitten in a parking lot. Told the caller I could do nothing to help.** Later on that evening I trapped the kitten. As I was driving away with it I saw another. Thank goodness I had the means to trap it as well. Since then I’ve driven by that parking lot several times to see if there were others. There were not.

Both kittens needed medical attention. I’ve got over $3,000 into the second kitten. It was on death’s door. It is blind in one eye and seems to be a little *slow* but is doing well. Its brother is fine.

**I told the caller I could do nothing to help because once people know you’ve got a heart they will take advantage of it. That’s just a fact.

A sincere THANK YOU to all who help the innocent.

• rumpole2 says:

I have had two cat’s nick-named “The 6 million dollar cat”
            (We can rebuild them)
            Both victims of road accidents (we think), both with broken legs… and two options… spend a lot of money or let them die!!
            Hazel is now dead, but as a young cat suffered a broken (shattered) back leg… which was pinned and pieces wired together… she went on to die of natural causes (aged 18) and on the way was a marvelous surrogate mother to two litters of 4 adopted kittens :D
            At the moment we have 3 cats.. one is Ivor aka “peg leg”
            A broken front leg when he was young… unable to be fixed.. choice was amputation or death. I agonised.. not wanting to inflict a miserable life on him… but he has thrived with 3 legs.. does everything a cat normally does.. even climbs trees (though I wish he wouldn’t he has a devil of a job getting down) :D

• rumpole2 says:

Also we were adopted by a very bedraggled stay that had ring worm, ear mites (which were spread to existing cat), decayed mouth ending in no teeth, one eye closed over requiring eye surgery (the eye was saved) and she was a little scraggly looking thing nick named “ratty”.
              But….. a much loved cat that survived to die of old age. :D

• Josh says:

Anakin Our Kitten without Back Legs, Two Legged Cat

2. WeeWeed says:

Good morning, all!! Here’s something that’ll wake ya’s up and getcha barfing….

At least, if you live in NJ!!

3. WeeWeed says:

LOL!! Kabuki Theater….

Photobucket

4. Paige Cohen says:

Journal News plans on expanding its map of gun permit holders: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/12/29/uk-usa-guns-newspaper-idUKBRE8BS05P20121229?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

Also: Donald Trump is a red dot on the map – he is a pistol permit holder according to the Journal News. 66 Oregon Road Mount Kisco NY 10549

Maybe if Donald Trump learns he is included in this menu for criminals, more attention will be given this reckless behavior.

I wish I could attach my screen cap of it. It was included in this link on a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=574976819184432&set=a.429310530417729.120451.257064250975692&type=1&theater

Photobucket

• Paige Cohen says:

wow – the image appeared. When you click on the red dot it alernates between the names “Donald” and “Eric” at that location. I know many liberal celebs and “journalists” live in Westchester (Bedford, Irvington, North Salem, Waccabuc, Pound Ridge, Rye, and Rockland (Nyack) counties. I am trying to track them down. http://www.lohud.com/interactive/article/20121223/NEWS01/121221011/Map-Where-gun-permits-your-neighborhood

• WeeWeed says:

Oh, and some Bloomberg Attack Safety Tips….

/large

• canadacan says:

So if you are the..unwashed. masses.with. your.unwashed. a$$es it’s.tough tamales. . I don’t. Think. So
        Good article over at Stately McDaniel Manor . This is going to be an ongoing fight. To paraphrase Jefferson Constant vigilence is needed to protect Liberty. Fix bayonets!
        As for the publishing of gun owners in those counties All it is going to do is make gun owners more intransigent That yellow rag think that’s going to get reader ship. Well to borrow a line from the Duke of Wellington: Publish and be damned!

• canadacan says:

And as for those lazy apathetic bastards in the House of Representatives And other assorted political types 2014 Is just around the corner.

• canadacan says:

This May, Nothing is written in stone Have to be fought at the individual state levels. Metaphorically speaking or otherwise we shall fight in the streets.

• howie says:

Somehow the dopey American voters have elected a bunch of neo-communist crooks. This is a disaster of untold proportions. I hope the Obamacare and Swinestien gun grabbing might wake up a few of the intellectual slugs.

• Sharon says:

Perhaps this will turn out to be one of those times when the left seriously overplays its hand due to arrogance about their position and ignorance about normal Americans.

It amuses me slightly to realize that the thugs who govern the inner cities (up to and including their elected thugs) must be having a bit of a wake-up here–and might be wondering where on earth all these gun-efficient, shooting-skilled, armament-familiar millions and millions of LEGAL shooters came from and WHY? I’m guessing they somehow assumed that the “gun lobby” and “gun owners” were just a bunch of shallow whiners like their own base.

• howie says:

Arm’s companies are in overdrive 24/7 and still can’t meet demand. The law of supply and demand is not debatable. I am starting to believe the people who said ammo (lead) will be more valuable than Gold. Makes me wonder what else they may be right about.

5. ctdar says:

Finally some reason in France, the courts reject 75% tax.
    now will Depardeau stay or go?

6. cajunkelly says:

What the hell is wrong with this woman??? :shock: That looks like a flour sack. Oh and the bright yellow toe nails must be the new “in” thing in fashion, eh?

Someone who commented on the “dress” asked if that square sewn on the front is some sort of new age marsupial pouch.

Others who commented were much less kind….

• canadacan says:

Well the stupid morons of that town and probably that County have the opportunity to hire armed guards for The schools and voted against it well now it’s time to pay the piper tough … penny wise and pound foolish. you don’t have to be stupid but it helps.

7. WeeWeed says:

Well, well. If true, “somebody” has died and left teh Facebook in charge of what is acceptable.

• stellap says:

You beat me again! Just about to post this myself. BTW, are you planning on removing photos from Facebook? After the fiasco with Instagram, I think FB can’t be trusted.

8. 22tula says:

“British Rapists and Pedophiles Converting to Islam in Prison”
    By Daniel Greenfield – December 28, 2012

“Bill Warner ‘Political Islam’ lecture in Simi Hills, CA” 1/9 playlist

“The Doctrine Of Slavery”
    By Bill Warner – pdf file

Political Islam – 2 video links

Vlad Tepes – Bill Warner

9. Please pray, y’all. My Berner is heading to the emergency vet…enlarged spleen and growths in her chest cavity.

10. brutalhonesty says:

A report from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services states Bright Start Academy, on Homefield Road, left a 2-year-old outside on the playground for “up to 4 and a half hours.” It documented “wind chill” temps as low as “17.5 degrees.”

Daycare Leaves Toddler In The Cold On Christmas Eve http://via.kplr11.com/j4fJOSC

11. Josh says:

ARLINGTON WEST
    “The memorial in Santa Barbara, California, which was first put together on November 2, 2003 by local activist Stephen Sherrill, was soon adopted by the local chapter of Veterans for Peace. It is installed each Sunday by a team of volunteers on the beach immediately west of Stearns Wharf. Visitors walking to the tourist attractions on the wharf have a clear view, from the boardwalk, along the beach with the white crosses in the foreground. From the walkway, visitors can see a flag-draped coffin and more than 3,000 crosses, made of wood, which are intended to resemble and represent traditional military grave markers. In addition to the simulated graveyard, a placard listing all the fallen American military personnel since the U.S. invaded and occupied Iraq is prominently displayed; this list is updated weekly. Due to logistical constraints, the number of new crosses was halted at just over 3000 even though the latest death toll has exceeded 4400. Adjacent to the placards is a sign containing the message: “At 3000 crosses, the Arlington West Memorial is 141 feet wide and 310 feet long. A memorial for the Iraqi dead would be 141 feet wide and 12.8 miles long.”

The pictures are poignant.

12. Sharon says:

The Chapel (click on the photo in the right hand margin to go in) was set up at the time the Treehouse was built to provide a place for lengthy posts or discussions that are Scripture-centric, especially God-centric or anything theologically/Judeo/Christian/spiritual/faith-ly centric! IOW, a place where those who care to discuss or comment regarding events and concerns…where we can wax eloquent (or just at length, even if not particularly eloquent) about spiritual issues with a Scriptural approach.

I posted a comment there today and am putting this roadsign here, because I know the comments notification/rotation in the right margin moves quickly and some of our newer readers may not even be aware of the Chapel. It really isn’t just perennial church service in there–although it will always be tagged to Scripture and Judeo-Christian foundations.

There’s a bit there written at the time we set it up which gives a broader introduction.

• stellap says:

Excellent news! I heard a radio report yesterday that he was singing in the ICU, which is encouraging for someone who had bronchitis.

13. stellap says:

Really good piece on the phony “fiscal cliff” – it got through my thick head!

14. cajunkelly says:

We *really* have to ban these subways. Now one is guilty of a hate crime;

15. stellap says:

Unions sabotage a contruction site where non-union workers are building a Quaker meeting house.

16. WeeWeed says:

I’m watching something with an extremely odd title…….”Amish Mafia.” :shock:

17. Sharon says:

I don’t know what is more shocking — the horror of the jihad or that ABC actually reported it.

Obama refuses to designate the Muslim group waging jihad in Nigeria and responsible for thousands of gruesome murders a “terrorist group.” He leaves that label to tea partiers.

“At Least 15 Killed in Sect Attack in North Nigeria” ABC News, December 29, 2012 (thanks to The Religion of Peace.com)

Gunmen suspected to belong to a radical Islamist sect attacked a village in northeast Nigeria, tying up men, women and children before slitting their throats, killing at least 15 in the troubled region’s latest attack, witnesses said Saturday

18. Josh says: