Silent Night, Holy Night

Reading 1 Is 9:1-6

The people who walked in darkness
have seen a great light;
upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom
a light has shone.
You have brought them abundant joy
and great rejoicing,
as they rejoice before you as at the harvest,
as people make merry when dividing spoils.
For the yoke that burdened them,
the pole on their shoulder,
and the rod of their taskmaster
you have smashed, as on the day of Midian.
For every boot that tramped in battle,
every cloak rolled in blood,
will be burned as fuel for flames.
For a child is born to us, a son is given us;
upon his shoulder dominion rests.
They name him Wonder-Counselor, God-Hero,
Father-Forever, Prince of Peace.
His dominion is vast
and forever peaceful,
from David’s throne, and over his kingdom,
which he confirms and sustains
by judgment and justice,
both now and forever.
The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this!

Gospel Lk 2:1-14

In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus
that the whole world should be enrolled.
This was the first enrollment,
when Quirinius was governor of Syria.
So all went to be enrolled, each to his own town.
And Joseph too went up from Galilee from the town of Nazareth
to Judea, to the city of David that is called Bethlehem,
because he was of the house and family of David,
to be enrolled with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child.
While they were there,
the time came for her to have her child,
and she gave birth to her firstborn son.
She wrapped him in swaddling clothes and laid him in a manger,
because there was no room for them in the inn.

Now there were shepherds in that region living in the fields
and keeping the night watch over their flock.
The angel of the Lord appeared to them
and the glory of the Lord shone around them,
and they were struck with great fear.
The angel said to them,
“Do not be afraid;
for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy
that will be for all the people.
For today in the city of David
a savior has been born for you who is Christ and Lord.
And this will be a sign for you:
you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes
and lying in a manger.”
And suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel,
praising God and saying:
“Glory to God in the highest
and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

When I hear that first reading at mass, my heart swells with joy, and I can barely contain my excitement, and my tears. Each family has special traditions and observations that make the holiday a holy day, and a truly memorable day, unique to them. I think we Treepers have managed to forge bonds, and find traditions of our own, drawing strength from each other, sharing the bad times and the good, making each other laugh, and praying for the needs we present here to our friends.

Merry Christmas Treepers, from each and every one of the Admins here in the Tree. God bless us every one.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Silent Night, Holy Night

1. kinthenorthwest says:

God Bless You All….I immediately thought of this Carol…
    Clay Aiken Mary, Did You Know

2. allhail2 says:

Merry Christmas, everybody!

3. ZurichMike says:

The grace and peace of Jesus Christ and the prayers and comfort of His Mother who is above all angels be with all of you now and in the new year.

4. Auntie Lib says:

Merry Christmas, everyone!

• Ad rem says:

Merry Christmas Auntie! I’m sure you and the family are enjoying a most beautiful white Christmas this year in Big Sky Country. Be sure and give your son our best wishes too….is he still singing for large audiences?

• Auntie Lib says:

Bless you Puddy! As a matter of fact it is snowing and colder than all get out – so the streets are quiet and still – beautiful morning. I will pass your good wishes on to #1 son. He most recently had a solo in the Helena Chamber Singers’ Christmas performance of Bach’s Magnificat last weekend. The best part of my Christmas has always been attending my kids’ Christmas programs.

I hope your first Christmas with the newest member of your family is the beginning of wonderful new traditions and much love and laughter. God bless you all.

5. MRM says:

Merry Christmas!!

6. czarowniczy says:

Merry CHRISTmas y’all. I’m out, goin’ to bed. My 5-year old great grandson’s finally fallen asleep after leaving Santa a plate of cookies and a glass of milk (former now crumbs on a plate, latter a white film on the glass) and his great great grandmother’s finally fallen asleep after reading The Night Before Christmas with him. You take what you got and enjoy it then, you can’t tell if you’ll ever it all again.

7. lovemygirl says:

Merry Christmas!
    I’m still waiting for my youngest that still believes in Santa (last year :( to fall soundly asleep. I caught her setting up an iPod to tape Santa! Oh my, gotta figure something out like flashing something red/white in front before the video goes blank.

8. Sharon says:

Merry Christmas to you all! :)

9. maggiemoowho says:

Have a Very Merry Christmas everyone. Santa Puppy and Santa Kitty should be arriving any minute. (we don’t have any human kids for Santa Clause) :lol:

10. waltherppk says:

Merry Christmas …..Here’s this year’s BBC Songs of Praise Christmas Special

11. caruhsel says:

There is something quite unusual and precious about The Treehouse.
    It must be YOU, and You. and You, and You and YOU and YOU AND You, and YOU….

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight!
    May God continue to bless each of you.
    Amen

12. cajunkelly says:

The master of the pan flute..Zamfir

Not a Christmas goes by that I don’t listen to his carols and feel a sadness. The wife of the man who often accompanied him on piano was a dear, long time online friend of mine. She is singing with Christ’s Holy Choir now.

And then I laugh about her first Christmas here in the US. She discovered PURPLE Christmas lights! LOL, the neighbors were ready to start a petition to evict her, as she decided those lights were far too pretty to take down just because it was March! Their entire lawn and house was covered in “beautiful” purple lights!

Coming from Romania to the US resulted in her being like a child on Christmas morning every day of the year.

May you rejoice with the angels on this day, my dear friend, and celebrate by stringing purple Christmas lights on those Pearly Gates!

13. cajunkelly says:

I pledge that every Christmas God graces me with from this year forward, I will hang a single ten penny nail with a red bow on it somewhere in my home:

The Christmas Nail®

It’s Christmas time at our house
    and we’re putting up the tree.
    I wish I could find some simple way
    to remember Christ’s gift to me.
    Some little sign or symbol
    to show friends stopping by,
    The little babe was born one day
    but He really came to die.
    Some symbol of His nail-pierced hands,
    the blood He shed for you and me.
    What if I hung a simple nail
    on my shining Christmas tree?
    A crimson bow tied round the nail
    as His blood flowed down so free,
    To save each person from their sin
    and redeem us for eternity.
    I know it was His love for us
    that held Him to the tree,
    But when I see this simple nail
    I know He died for me.

by John Patton, creator of the The Christmas Nail® product

14. Merry Christmas Treepers! May the light of the Lord shine on each of you today.

15. Coast says:

Merry Christmas, everyone!

16. flaladybug says:

As I count all the many blessings Christ has bestowed on me this year, I count all of my new friends at the treehouse to be among one of the most cherished!! Thank you all for you’re warm welcome, incredible conversations, and joy and even strength you sometimes provided me without even knowing. May God Bless you and all you’re families on this special day and for endless days to come. I LOVE YOU PEEPS!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! :)

17. ctdar says:

Merry Christmas all!!!

18. Angel says:

Just had to stop by and wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and hoping loads of joy and peace fill this day for you and evermore :-).

19. Menagerie says:

Merry Christmas Treepers. May your day be filled with lots of joy, family, friends and good food.

20. WeeWeed says:

Merry Christmas, everybody!

• Menagerie says:

Merry Christmas to you Wee. Did Santa bring you something to shoot with?

• czarowniczy says:

Don’t know about Wee but my great grandson unwrapped his Daisy and a co2 pistol from under the tree and, in about half-past lunch, he’ll be going outside to flex his 2nd Amendment rights before the Grinch(s) creatively redefine them. I noticed the pistol I ordered on-line at an unnamed but huge big-box store had appreciated a good deal between the time I ordered it and what the price was in the store when I picked mine up.

• WeeWeed says:

You iz a Patriot and the perfect grand-parental unit, Zaub – raising Americans!!! I should be so lucky, one dayy!! :D

• Ad rem says:

Weedie……’member what you said… about how my being good would pay off in the end?
      Photobucket

21. Tino Field says:

Merry Christmas to all the Tree people, and thank you for the wonderful year and great blog.
    May the year 2013 be better.
    Tino

22. stellap says:

This is a wonderful story.

Her mother and dad are Polish, and now naturalized American citizens. As a gift to their daughters, they wrote and bound a book about their lives in Poland, her father’s escape to Russia during the German invasion in 1939, and the rest of the story continued in the United States. It tore at my heart, and brought tears to my eyes. Her mother writes:

My appreciation for this country grew over the years, especially after my visits to communist Poland. Every time I went there I had the impression that I was seeing a depressing black and white movie, and as soon as I landed back in the USA, the movie was joyful and in color. Still, for quite a long time I was envious of the Western European welfare system….why could we not have it in America? I just did not understand then all the pitfalls of the welfare state.

I realized that America has a unique role in the world, defending freedom, democracy, human rights, and all the right causes around the world, and that it was an expensive endeavor, especially during the Cold War. It required a strong defense, and the people of America took the financial burden of keeping the rest of the world at peace on their own shoulders. The true riches of a country are not measured by the size of its mansions or number of cars, but by its history, its institutions, and character. When we look at those, America stands above and apart from other nations as a truly exceptional country.

23. Irish Eyes says:

May you all have a blessed Christmas, and may God’s mercy make our nation’s future not as bad as it might otherwise be, and may He keep His protective hand over Israel.

24. Knucledraggingwino says:

I am spending a lot of Christmas Day at the hospital with my ninety-six year old, Step-Grandmother/Adoptive Mother who has pneumonia. It is a complicated history of a turbulently blended family. Think Isaac vs Ishmael combined with Jacob vs Esau in which three generations of my bloodline was denigrated, cursed and exterminated so that my step siblings could be blessed and exalted. Needless to say, I have a lot of ambivalence about my step-grandmother/ mother as well as my Step-brother/uncle’s obvious intention to let her die. Where do you draw the line between withholding medical care that is probably futile and euthanasia?

One of my fondest memories of the Christmas season is singing Silent Night in the original German at the North American Baptis Church that I grew up in. My old pastor had been raised to believe that God Spoke German! Hearing Silent Night is iconic for me, especially if it is in German. I find myself wondering if there any Christians left in Germany or is the whole country secular or Muslim?