DeMint

Many thoughts.  Much to share.   Been on the phone all day.   Will post more soon.

Jim DeMint - C'Mon Texas

“It ought to be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.   Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new. This coolness arises partly from fear of the opponents, who have the laws on their side, and partly from the incredulity of men, who do not readily believe in new things until they have had a long experience of them.”

- Niccolò Machiavelli

This entry was posted in John Boehner, States, Tea Party, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to DeMint

1. stellap says:

Ah! Machiavelli was a wise Florentine!

2. Chip Bennett says:

Okay, maybe I’m crazy, but if you don’t want to serve a 6-year term of office, then perhaps don’t run for an office that has a 6-year term?

Stepping down from elected office shouldn’t be such a cavalier thing. I assume the Heritage Foundation will still be around in 2016, when DeMint’s term would have expired. Stepping down to take a private-industry job just costs the SC taxpayers the unnecessary cost of a statewide, special election in 2014.

On the other hand: something is fundamentally wrong with Congress that it requires being a full-time job. DeMint should easily be able to be both the President of the Heritage Foundation and serve as a US Senator.

• stellap says:

Chip, I think plans go beyond Heritage, and I think he needs to separate himself from the Republican Party in order to move in a new direction.

• Chip Bennett says:

That may be, but as I said elsewhere: isn’t the integrity of keeping one’s promises and fulfilling one’s obligations part of the bedrock of conservatism? Running for office constitutes an obligation to fulfill the term of office. I don’t care why he’s leaving; he should be staying, to fulfill his obligation to his constituents.

• stellap says:

I suppose you’re right – however, he’s been there for 20 years, so it’s not like he hasn’t put in a good chunk of his time. Since the last election, he probably feels he can accomplish more outside of the beltway, and they have a good man to take over, or so I hear.

• sundance says:

His constituents were fully aware this was Demint’s last term. By his own choice he had promised the people of SC that he would only serve two terms in the Senate. He is RESOUNDINGLY supported in SC.

The timing of this decision is to do the very best he can to save the constitutional republic he swore to protect and defend. The SCF, Jim DeMint’s baby, was THE ONLY coalition who delivered victories in 2012 for Republicans… yet they openly disparage him.

He is undercut by his leadership, he is ridiculed for his influence, he is disparaged by the very people he is subordinate to within his own elected body.

Jim DeMint is a man of massive character, principle, courage and fortitude. His principles found him stuck betwix a rock and a hard place. He was NOT going to tow the party line to irrelevance and cares for the country too much to be handcuffed to a chair while he watches the nation be deconstructed by unscrupulous and self-interested parties.

This is not the end of Jim DeMint, or his leadership. Quite the contrary this is the beginning of a movement that will shake the very foundation of the republic. This is a WAR – and Demint is the general who will lead a brave republic to victory.

……. much, much more will soon follow….. God Bless.

• marie says:

But, he robbed them of choosing someone else to serve for 6 years.

• BigMamaTEA says:

SDC from your lips to God’s ears. One of my Senators, Coburn (also self-term limits)
            has been ridiculed, does not get committee assignments etc. for standing on his principles.

• Sharon says:

I’m holding you to that, sir!!…because I’m believing you wouldn’t say it if there wasn’t a whole punch of WHOOOMFF behind it.

• west1890 says:

How do you fulfill your ‘obligation to constituents’ when your primary obligation is to uphold the constitution and you are surrounded by jackals? Our Republic is being dismantled, no longer in small, almost unnoticeable bites, but by huge chunks, brazenly and openly by a fraudulent president, aided and abetted by a corrupt congress and a corrupt media. If I were DeMint I’d go too. How anyone with a conscience can be a party to what is going on in DC is beyond me.

• BigMamaTEA says:

This is O/T but still about the Republic and the Establishment RINOS. Everybody call, e-mail, or fax support to Rep. Tim Huelskamp (202)225-2715, Rep. Justin Amash (202)225-3831 and Rep. David Schweikert (202) 225-2190. These are the 3 Musketeers who are being made an example of by Boehner/Leadership RINO team for not being “team players.” I also have been contacting all radio/tv folks to get them interviewed.

• Sharon says:

I mean no disrespect to your efforts or your well-expressed concerns–and completely agree. However, my question is this: what good will it do for them to be interviewed? I’ve about had it with even the fine conservatives (like Greta van S) expressing concern, nailing people with focused questions (and getting answers), calling liars out…..and what good does it do? Absolutely none, that I can see. We still have republicans at the levers of republican power who cave to the progs every opportunity they get. We still have the executive “branch” refusing to fulfill its constitutional duties….nothing changes. Lots of talking. Lots of information. Lots of indignation. And absolutely nothing changes. I’m no longer stirred by declarations from the current players. There’s no bite behind their bark.

3. howie says:

He is still a Republican. Phooey. He should form a new constitutional party and take a few with him. They could still caucus with the GOP if it suited their fancy. I will never vote for a Gop or a Crat again.

4. ctdar says:

“…. to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.”
    Sounds like a new direction choice for Conservatives, never forget the quote
    “time and place”

5. marie says:

I read this at Red State this morning, where Erik E seems to think of DeMint as a god. You need to understand something—the GOP will not rise to power again unless and until they grab some of these Western states, (CO, Nev, Oregon, New Mexico, WA is too much to hope for), and I just don’t think DeMint’s Southern conservative sensibilities can achieve that

• stellap says:

My guess is that he’s not the only musician in this band.

• ytz4mee says:

Or, in other multi-party democracies, the “third way” often holds significant influence and the balance of power — by choosing who to form a coalition government with. It doesn’t take too many seats, either for a third party to be King maker. America, with its entrenched two party system, is the exception, not the rule, to this reality.

6. marie says:

I just read a post on another blog in which the poster claimed that he heard DeMint today on the radio say that he is very good friends with Harry Reid and that Reid is not the problem.

If that is true, I have lost all faith in this guy. Reid?k The guy who, from the well of the Senate, called Mitt Romney a liar and a criminal, the guy who has no respect for the integrity of the Senate? That guy?

Well, Mr. DeMint, I am glad you let us know who your friends are. Listen, I’ve no problem with treating political opponents with respect and dignity, but Harry Reid treats others with no such respect. He is one of the reasons the country is in trouble. Reall, Senator DeMint?

Well, go earn a million at your new foundation. I only wish you had not run for re-election. The people had a right to have someone they elected serve a full 6 year term. If you doubted you could do “good” there, you shouldn’t have run again.

Geez. I guess he felt entitled, like all the others.

• ctdar says:

Who’s got the smiting wand now ? Marie needs a blast

• texan59 says:

Would you really have wanted Hillary to serve out her full 2nd term?

• BigMamaTEA says:

Marie, I emailed him about that today. During a town hall with Sen. Coburn a couple of years ago, he made a statement about Nancy Pelosi, being a nice lady. I asked, “Well then, why would she show the wicked witch side to the public/media?” He said he didn’t see her very much on t.v., but he’s heard her speak pretty ugly to her staff. But to most of the fellow lawmakers, they ALL have a totally different demeanor.

I see no reason for the split personality behavior. By the way, in my email to Demint today, I called Harry Reid “the Crypt Keeper.”

• Sharon says:

Did he answer your query? Did he explain why he called her a “nice lady” who speaks ugly to her staff? She’s not a lady and she’s not nice, and none of us yahoos had to get elected to Congress to figure that out.

• michellc says:

I can only speak for myself but I usually don’t get direct answers from either of my senators, Coburn or Inhoffe. Coburn or his staff, whomever replies are more civil in their non-answers than Inhoffe but I usually don’t get my question answered. It’s beyond frustrating to me and I usually get angry.
          What really makes me angry is when I send them links to newspaper or blog articles about someone or something and they send me back a reply that they’re not aware and have no information but will check into it. My first thought is always if you would do one simple click you would be aware? My second thought is always this will be like the last time they won’t check into it or at least do nothing about it if they’re not even willing to read a short article.
          Once when a Kansas senator had given a statement on the floor about certain animal rights groups being invited to a USDA rule change meeting but farmers were excluded, I wrote both of them. They both sent me an e-mail they weren’t aware. I e-mailed them both back and asked them can you not listen or at least read what was said on the floor, isn’t that sort of your job description to know what is being said on the floor? Would it really have been too much trouble to have walked down to his office or given him a call before you replied to me? I don’t have much confidence in you’re going to check into it if during the 10 day time span from when I contacted you and your reply you didn’t already check into it.

I’m not saying that both of our senators don’t do some good things but I am a constituent and they are supposed to be working for me and I only contact them when something is very important to me or is something that is going to hurt my neighbors. I don’t expect perfection and I don’t even expect that they can do anything but an answer is not that hard to give, taking a few minutes to read something or ask another Senator with the information to give me at least an informed opinion about something doesn’t seem like that much to ask.

7. Patriot Dreamer says:

Rumor mill is looking at former South Carolina Republican Party Chair and former S.C. Attorney General Henry McMaster as DeMint’s replacement: