A New Beginning…..

I have long felt that life is like a series of links in a chain. You might be driving down the road and you hear a song on the radio, or see a picture, and you feel a memory,…. something that reminds you of a different time and place than where you are right now. You reflect. The memories you consider remind you of a totally different place in your life. Perhaps you lived in a different place. Perhaps you were surrounded by different people. Perhaps a different job or completely different friends. You recognize those memories were constructed like frozen moments in time. They become individual links in the chain in your life.

You never actually realize, in the immediate moment, when one link closes, and another link begins. But when you look back, you can clearly see distinct points where things changed, the link closed, and a new link began. The links are only clearly visible in reflection.

But there are parts of the chain where each link closes and connects with the other. A beginning, and an end. At the point where the links are joined we carry parts of the previous link forward to the next. For many people those connections are bonded by family, or very strong life long relationships. Connections which continue beyond our geographic moments, jobs, or temporary acquaintances. But for everyone, the primary bonding agent brought forward from one link to the next is ourselves, our center, our values and core principles. Our beliefs.

The strength of the steel which comprises the links of our life is determined by forging in the fire of adversity, weakness, challenge, pain, loss, and painful growth. The steel is then cooled with the tears of triumph, hurdles overcome, and resolve. The forging makes the steel stronger and able to withstand the pressures that accompany the additional length. Slowly the chain becomes wiser as it lengthens. Able to reach further, form more significant benefits, and become more useful. Hope replaces fear. Love replaces loneliness. Success replaces adversity. These are successful links began and finished while contributing to the whole.

At times we may manipulate the links with avoidance. We hide from or choose to avoid an issue in our effort to begin a new link before the old one was naturally, and spiritually, prepared to be closed. Eventually as life continues, and the chain lengthens, the weak link can fracture and we are forced to revisit/repair what we originally chose to avoid. You see, in life we cannot control the universal laws that guide us. So if we manipulate circumstances to avoid confronting our own weakness, we cannot fully strengthen our life of links. Eventually, the weakness of our past will impact our future.

So what principles do we carry from link to link? What core values and beliefs stay with us throughout the journey of our lives? The answers to these questions are what makes us human spiritual beings. We possess freewill able to make choices about what we do, and how we define our individual humanity. But can we then define ’right’ and ‘wrong’ according to our individual principles? Or are there principles that exceed our influence and definition? Are there natural laws of right and wrong, good and bad, that cannot be subjected to the determination of man? These are the bigger questions, perhaps the more important questions, and yet perhaps the ones we reflect upon the least.

Consider the example of the ‘Law of the farm’ vs. the ‘Law of the School’. Natural principles vs. those made by man. A student can skip class, take few notes, pay only half attention, then stay up all night cramming for a test and manage a decent grade. It depends on the students goal, grades or learning. The student chose to manipulate the education, by avoiding the learning and capturing the grade. This is possible in the ‘Law of the School’. However, a farmer cannot take short cuts. A farmer cannot avoid tending to the soil, preparing the seed, fertilizing and nurturing the crop, and still gain benefit of an abundant harvest. The farmer must necessarily do all of the appropriate work in order to benefit from it. Such is the ‘Law of the Farm’, the natural law.

When one considers the weakness remaining within a poorly constructed, and manipulated link, perhaps established by selfish choices and driven by avoidance and fear, one can be faithfully be assured those who have dealt dishonestly with us will have to visit the issues of their association again. No amount of manipulation or avoidance is going to improve the frailty of any link without first resolving the lack of character which created the weakness.

So we have choices in our lives. Decisions we each make regarding how we interact, and participate in the lives and links of others; As well as how we choose to construct the links that compromise our own lives. Do we base our sense of purpose around natural principles? Principles based on natural laws of right and wrong, good and bad, truth and lies. Do we forge strong links based on following our heart, our values? If we can interact with others absent of a prideful self driven agenda, or manipulative intent, we can then apply such principles and strength to our endeavors.

If we protect the integrity of the soil upon which we build the foundation of our lives, we can live without regret. If we fertilize and cherish our crop, and the crop of our neighbor with honesty and sincere appreciation for the souls we meet along our chosen path, we will live a life of abundance. If we tend carefully to the consideration of everyone, yet holding true to our values and principles, we can strengthen ourselves amid the face of adversity and disenchantment. If we do not hide from, nor ignore, our individual and collective faults, we can build the chain of our life with strength, humility, and purpose.

I wish for each of you a long chain of bold, strong, beautiful links, polished with the reflective brilliance of Love……..

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to A New Beginning…..

1. Ad rem says:

Thanks for reposting this Sundance. This is more than a mere post…it should be our mission statement.

2. stellap says:

I love this post.

3. So glad you posted this…didn’t get a chance to comment on it earlier and was gonna ask you to put it up here. This is some of your best work, and so appropriate.

• Thanks. Interesting footnote story to this post. I wrote it on the trail forum and nowhere else so when the trail closed, it was lost forever. The words in this kind of post just kinda comes to ya when writing freestyle…. anway, ButchCracker had read it and liked it too, when it was lost I was bummed because I couldn’t duplicate the words again, it was an ‘in the moment thing’… I tried to find it in Google Cache but it hadn’t been up long enough for capture…., Anywho, the day got busy and so forth, and well I just accepted it was gone for a reason. Then after supper Butch laughed and said “come here” it was open on her laptop, she never closed it. So I was able to copy and paste it to myself, thereby saving it. :)

He works in mysterious ways !! :) How cool is that? Obviously there was a reason for writing it, and like you said in reflection ‘appropriate’.

4. frenchreader says:

Hello everybody, may I come in ?

• Absolutely. It is really great to see you. So happy you found us. We love frenchreader…. wouldn’t be the same without you.

• frenchreader says:

Well thanks ! I know I am not very funny myself (…) but I enjoy your statements/posts and the comments of the group (and I found a chocolate lab fan, that is Ménagerie) and the links to news.

In all, I am glad that some people started this refuge.

• Menagerie says:

Here I am frenchreader. Bo (the lab) is staring at me through the patio door wanting in. BTW, I also have a black lab, a golden retriever, and a lab/shepherd mix.

• wendyann64 says:

Dog people are the best!! Your doggie snout of Bo avatar is delightful!

• stellap says:

Oh my, Menagerie! It’s like you have four more children! Stella, my Brittany just came in from playing in the snow and is taking a nap.

• Sharon says:

I absolutely love all the doggie faces. Even though our Husky is gone and we are dogless (as of New Year’s Day) the kind of sadness we feel now is turning into that kind that is the sweet sadness over what we had. It doesn’t make me “more sad” to see the doggie faces. It reminds me all of the real doggie love there is in the world.

• Ad rem says:

Bonsoir frenchreader! :-)

• Jennifer H says:

Yay!

5. Ad rem says:

(((Yawn))) I get sleepy working the night shift. Wonder where AmExPat could be?

6. GracieD says:

Thought provoking, and very true. Everyone makes mistakes. The goal, speaking only for myself, is to learn from those mistakes. God’s grace and forgiveness are powerful things. I find myself in need of both of those things on a daily basis. This, as in the rest of life, is a learning experience.

I remember reading about the strong disagreements that the Founders had with each other, hence the Federalist/Anti-Federalist Papers, etc. The Founders were not “bad” people. They had as their primary goal the well-being of our Country. We will not always agree or even understand each other. The bottom line for me is the well-being of our Country. I have no doubt that everyone here loves this Country. Will I stumble from time? Absolutely! We all do. The sin is not in the stumbling, but in the failure to learn from the mistake and move forward. Everyone processes things at different rates. Some are over the “dust up”, some will take longer to process the events and move forward. So what is the way forward? For me, it is doing everything in my power to make this Country (or at least my little corner of it) the best that it can be. Make no mistake, we have a fight in front of us. Together, we can help bring our Country back to its Constitutional roots. I consider you all to be fellow Patriots. God Bless us all!

• Sharon says:

Receiving forgiveness is a never-ending amazingly powerful thing, isn’t it? If you’re not familiar with the devotional writings of Bob Hoekstra, I can’t possibly recommend highly enough. (Don’t assume “devotional” means cute and shallow: this guy does yeoman work on the subject of grace like no one I have ever read. It is, literally, his one and only chosen subject.) I use him as my home page. Here’s today’s: http://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/dbdbg/view.cfm

7. wendyann64 says:

What a wonderful way to start the morning!

8. Wraith says:

A new beginning, but the same old cantankerous Wraith. I knew someone’d point me here. :D

Anyone know if Shalini got the news?

9. Paul Sonderman says:

This is lovely, really. I find it, however, at crossed purposes with much of this blog’s actual content.

• stellap says:

Stick around. I don’t think it is at crossed purposes at all. You probably don’t agree with most of what is said here regarding political issues, but that is what discussion is for – not just making points. Has anyone called you names, or been rude to you here? I would be very surprised if that is the case.

• stick around your fog will clear. These are great peeps.

• weeweed says:

Hi, Paul. And welcome.

10. Paul Sonderman says:

Thanks, all. While I disagree with much concluded here and take exception at times with the tone, I understand your frustration…I appreciate the quality of the research, writing and overall courtesy extended here. As a liberal, I find it extremely difficult to read many right-wing blogs and having had bad experiences commenting on them, typically avoid it. This is a quality site.

11. texan59 says:

Awesome words. Thought I was lost in the wilderness when the trail went black.

12. Aussie says:

At last you have a site that I can read and not feel offended about the content. I like what you have done so far.

Like you, I started a new site for those who needed some space, but I have a more international approach.

I will check out your posts from time to time.

13. Gypsy says:

WOW! Welcome newcomers and great post SD. Stick with us and you will learn a lot.

14. Totally inspiring!!!

15. Bell says:

I have been reading out a number of your posts and i should say great stuff.
    I’ll surely bookmark your site.