Pączki Day (Detroit Style) aka Fat Tuesday

Every year Stella posts this, and every year I remember the one Fat Tuesday I spent in Detroit, where I was introduced to pączki. They are just as delicious as they look in the pictures!

Stella's Place

A repeat post with a few minor updates; I won’t be eating these today, but remember them fondly.

It’s Pączki Day, and in Detroit that means you should be sure to wear your stretchy pants or, as my old friend Denise used to say, your expando clothes!

Pączki, or Polish doughnuts, are eaten on Fat Thursday in Poland and Fat Tuesday in the United States. It’s the last splurge before Lent begins.

packzi-run

View original post 963 more words

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Pączki Day (Detroit Style) aka Fat Tuesday

1. barnabusduke says:

I’ve never had them, but they certainly look tasty! 🙂

2. Les D says:

Looks good. Same here in my city which has more Poles then any city other then Warsaw, and a whole new wave from Poland (as opposed to the WWII arrivals) the last 25 years. Great people and become great Americans. I know first hand, hooked up with one of the Euro versions since 2002, and a ton of her friends, that’s a nationality that really sticks together.

3. G. Alistar says:

Love the post a Stella…..would really like to taste these paczki donuts some day. Happy Fat Tuesday!

4. bleep21k says:

The missus works in a bakery (2:30 am she is “off to make the doughnuts”) – been making them since last week, and brought home a dozen this morning…

Yeah I’ve had a least 4 /5 over the last week, including one this morning..

Sad to say but I live on the maple cake doughnuts….

House always smell like powdered sugar lol!

5. Dennis says:

I remember you posting about this last year; geez a year went by so quickly!

6. stephen fenlon says:

Never had the pleasure,
    but
    Western Cheesecake = too sweet for me
    Polish Cheesecake = Heaven
    being taught how to make it by a non English speaking Pole = priceless !

Spending another hour, or more ? (over homemade vodka) deciphering the origins of a packet of
    (english translation) : English Peas : hilarious,- I think I remember that !!!

God bless the Poles !

7. palafox says:

OK, I’m in the Los Angeles area. Someone tell me where I can get some of these. Tell me now, please. I’m still waiting.
    Still.

8. MIKE says:

MIKE’s stomach says:
    February 25, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Grrrrowwwwlllll !

9. California Joe says:

I wonder how many billions and billions of $$$ the Indian Tech companies will invest in America if Bernie gets elected President of the United States?

10. scrap1ron says:

My blood sugar just spiked 300 points looking at those. I remember those days going to the Broadway Market in Buffalo NY for all the Polish delicacies. Kielbasa, butter lambs, Placek bread, Sauerkraut Pierogis, fresh horseradish, galumpkis, dang now I’m hungry.

11. ZurichMike says:

My Polish friend (really — from Poland!) makes these each year. Very delicious when fresh. I put with with having powdered sugar and four-fruit jam messing up my beard just to be able to take a huge bite!

I have been on reduced carbs for several months now, and after one of these, I had to lie down for 20 minutes in sugar shock! LOL!

12. vfm#7634 says:

Maybe the spelling should be anglicized to “paunchkies”. The word actually does make sense in English.

13. They kinda look like the “Donut Holes” Mom used to make when I was a kid!

14. JohnCasper says:

On the matter of fat days, every day of the week, and of every week, the Deep State (FBI, DOJ, CIA, etc) gorges itself on injustice. “Fat Tuesday” is such a bit player.

15. sarasotosfan says:

Paczkis (“poonchkeys”) are different from donuts in that the dough is very rich and very sweet. They also have all kinds of fillings. Prune, lemon, etc.

16. Lynn Brinkman says:

Grandma Eva always made them with prune filling. Kept a few aside for brother and i without filling. Neither one of liked prunes.

17. J says:

Im lucky to live outside Detroit in the lead up to Lent. If you are wondering how to pronounce it we say poonch-keys.

My Uncle Tim was born and raised in Hamtramck, also known as Poletown, a little city with its own city council and, until recent fiscal problems caused by GM closing one of its main plants in the area, fire and police, completely surrounded by Detroit proper.( it is one of three such small independant cities in Detroit.) He was a 6’6 250lb Detroit cop for 40 years. His wife makes her own paczki. Also Golumpki (we pronounce it gwum-key) or Polish stuffed cabbage. MMMMMmmmmm. Polish heritage is a big part of Detroits history.( I, though, am Irish and Norwegian. The Irish from Donegal originally, by way of Halifax and the Norwegian from Copper Country in the Keewenaw Peninsula “in da U.P. eh”.)

My favorite is the blueberry covered with powdered sugar. The most popular( judging from how many of each type stores typically have on the shelves) seems to be the lemon covered in regular granulated sugar.

Although they say they each have 1500 calories they are not what you would call sweet. They have been selling them for the last month or so. They come in boxes of four. I have eaten at least 20 of them over the last month.

Id rather be fat than not have paczkis. (I am not fat.. 54yo maybe 10 lbs over my playing weight)

18. Hamtramck, Michigan is a small town (separated) in the middle of Detroit which had the largest population of Polish and Ukrainian people in the USA during the early to mid 20th. century. It has become a popular spot for multi-cultural dining and entertainment recently. Polish and Eastern European food and drink has sparked it as a fun place today.

19. I was born there many decades ago.

• I’m from your sister “in-burb”, Highland Park and spent many a time in Hamtramck….of course that is before coleman young gutted the city….I used to buy smoked hocks and sausages on Chene….good memories

20. Tiffthis says:

Saw this at Mardi gras- epic pic

21. LizzieinTexas says:

Since we are talking about donuts and pasties and Fat Tuesday and Marti Grad

This is a very simple easy recipe for Classic Beignets

Dough

1/2 cup (113g) lukewarm water
    1/2 cup (113g) lukewarm milk
    2 tablespoons (28g) butter, melted
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    4 cups (482g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    2 teaspoons instant yeast* (I use regular yeast)

Instructions
    Combine all of the ingredients, and mix and knead them together — by hand, mixer or bread machine — until you’ve made a soft, smooth dough.* (I use my kitchen aid mixer and proof yeast in the warm water with about a tablespoon of the sugar for about 5 min since I use regular yeast)

Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 hour, or until it’s puffy (though not necessarily doubled in bulk).

Gently deflate the dough, and place it in a greased bowl or greased plastic bag, choosing a bowl or bag that will allow the dough to expand. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for up to 2 days.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and place it on a lightly greased or floured work surface; a silicone rolling mat works well here.

Roll it into a 14″ x 10″ rectangle, squaring off the corners as well as you can without being overly fussy.

Cut the dough into 2″ squares.

Pour peanut, safflower, or canola oil to a depth of at least 3/4″ in a 10″ electric fry pan (first choice), or a deep, heavy-bottomed 10″ frying pan set over a burner.* (I use an electric deep fryer with peanut oil)

Heat the oil to 360°F, and drop 5 or 6 squares of dough into the hot oil. They’ll sink to the bottom, then after about 5 seconds or so, rise to the top.

Fry the beignets for 1 minute, then use a pair of tongs to turn them over. Fry for another minute, until the beignets are puffed and golden brown all over.

Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.

When the beignets are cool, sprinkle them heavily with confectioners’ sugar. For a real New Orleans experience, serve with strong coffee.* (I throw them in a zilock bag with powder sugar and shake while they are still warm)

22. Ish Kabibble says:

Great post! Quality Dairy in Lansing makes over one half million a year!

23. Anon says:

Had one today! One of the many perks of this state. #PureMichigan

24. Eric says:

You mean Americans don’t shovel those in every day of the week?

25. TwoLaine says:

I was thinking this is what the Pope asks Melania if she was feeding her husband,. but I was wrong. It also starts with a p.

26. 180daysofkindergarten says:

We made them for the first time this year. So good right from the fryer.
    The experience will last all year.
    The Polish and Detroit in me is strong!

27. Merkin Muffley says:

I’m a Kolaczki man, myself. Poppy seed filling, please!

28. T2020 says:

Local boutique market has them. Awesome!🎭

29. thebigolddog says:

the way I see it ladies, you owe me for 1 jelly donut!
    they paid for it. you eat it!
    ready, exercise!

30. Bradley Klotz says:

We have them in Western New York and I always get ’em when they’re around. I went to get some from my local grocer last night but they were sold out 😦