Monday August 13th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

190 Responses to Monday August 13th – Open Thread

1. DanDeplorable says:

All This And A Crown, Too

“There is laid up for me the crown of righteousness.” 2 Timothy 4:8

Doubting one, you have often thought, “I fear I shall never reach Heaven.” Fear not! All the redeemed people of God shall be taken there. I like the quaint saying of a dying Christian who exclaimed, “I have no fear of going Home; I have sent all ahead of me. God’s finger is on the latch of my door and I am ready, yea, eager for Him to enter.” “But,” said one, “are you not afraid lest you should miss your inheritance?” “Afraid? Nay,” said he, “How can I miss it? There is one crown in Heaven which the angel Gabriel could not wear; it will fit no head but mine. There is one place on my Savior’s throne which Paul the apostle could not fill; it was made for me, and I shall have it.”

O believer, what a joyous thought! Your portion is secure. “There remains a rest.”(1) But cannot I forfeit it? No, it is yours by inheritance (2). If I be a child of God I shall not lose it. It is mine as surely as if I were already there.

Come with me, believer, and let us sit upon the top of Mt. Nebo and view the goodly land, even Zion. Do you see that sparkling river of living water glistening in the sunlight, and across it do you see the pinnacles of the Eternal City? Do you mark the pleasant country, and all its secure and joyous inhabitants? Know, then, that if we could fly across to there just now you would see written upon one of its many mansions “This awaits such a one, reserved for him; he shall be caught up in glory to dwell here in exceeding joy with God forever.”(3)

Poor doubting one! If you could only see the fair inheritance; it is yours. For if by God’s grace you have turned from your sin and by faith alone received the Lord Jesus as your Savior, believed in His finished work for you dying on the cross as your substitute, and, transformed by the Spirit of God, confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead (4), then you have been born anew from above (5); He is yours and you are His. You are God’s adopted child in Christ! A glorious dwelling place remains reserved for you, personally prepared for you by your Savior (6), a robe of righteousness made just for you, a crown of righteousness laid up for you — all specially provided, just for you. No one else shall have your portion, for indeed it was reserved long ago for you by promise (7). Beloved believing one, there will be no vacant mansions or missing sheep in Heaven when all the saints are gathered in (8).

(1) Hebrews 4:9

(2) Ephesians 1:14

(3) Jude 24

(4) Romans 10:9-10

(5) John 3:3
    (6) John 14:1-3

(7) 2 Peter 1:4

(8) Hebrews 12:22-24

–Charles H. Spurgeon, 1834-1892

2. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Why Paul’s Ministry Was So Effective

We have Christian friends who have a close relationship with an outstanding Bible teacher. They tell the story of going on a cruise with this teacher. At the time, the husband knew Christ as Savior, but the wife was still unsaved and somewhat leery of letting go of the doctrines learned as a child in her church.

The teacher disarmed this lady by seeking her out, sharing a meal with them, being very personable, and lovingly sharing the Scriptures she needed. The end result was that this lady trusted Christ as her Savior, became a vibrant believer, and the couple became lifelong friends with this teacher who had been so used of the Lord in their lives.

Have you ever wondered how the Apostle Paul had such an effective ministry with so many during his lifetime? He gives his testimony about this in the Scriptures. It began with a genuine burden for lost souls.
    Paul tells us “That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren…” (Rom. 9:2,3).

Lost souls seem to be able to sense when one deeply cares for their spiritual welfare. Paul was ready to share the eternal life-giving gospel “in season, out of season” (2 Tim. 4:2).

No matter where he was, from prison to the palace, he was constantly giving out the message of salvation by grace alone. He sowed the seed of the gospel frequently enough that many were saved. Paul said, “I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more” (1 Cor. 9:19).

His attitude was one of surrendering as a willing bond slave to the Savior; then, he served others, in a spiritual sense, willingly and humbly attending to their needs. Paul approached the lost in a personable way, finding common ground with the lost so he’d have greater credibility when presenting the gospel. He says: “…unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews…

To them that are without law, as without law…I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some…” (1 Cor. 9:20-22). Paul was also tireless, working “night and day” (Acts 20:31; 1 Thes. 2:9), in his care and prayer for those he led to Christ.

If you’d like to be more greatly used of the Lord, follow this pattern used by the Apostle Paul and the teacher who reached our friend.

By Pastor John Fredericksen

• Mary Ann says:

Just received my first mailing from the Berean Bible Society..
      Thanks for sharing them 🙂

• Steve says:

Sorry, but I disagree with this pastor. Paul’s teachings were very different from Jesus’s. Jesus clearly taught that belief, confession of faith is not enough. Faith MUST be backed up by obedience to the Mosiac moral laws (as he told the rich young ruler and scribe), repentence and good deeds. As he said, “When the dead hear the voice of God, they will awaken. Those who have DONE good to eternal life; those who have PRACTICED evil, to eternal damnation.” Nothing about faith alone or believing in Jesus’s “atoning sacrifice”. Jesus was a jew and very much concerned with deeds. Paul too often says that we receive salvation by belief alone. He never knew Jesus and fixated on the final few days of his life, saying that we are saved by Jesus substitionary atoning blood sacrifice. He almost never mentions Jesus’s actual words and teachings and the fact that salvation is a long hard road starting from a very narrow gate. Hence the doctrine of Cheap Grace and Easy Believism that permeates the church today. It’s a good idea to always check paul’s words against the only teacher and master we should be paying attention to: Jesus of Nazareth.

• jbt says:

Wow, very interesting Steve. Thank you.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“It’s a good idea to always check paul’s words against the only teacher and master we should be paying attention to: Jesus of Nazareth.”

Acts 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: 16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake. 17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

1Corinthians 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: 3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, 4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) 5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“He never knew Jesus ”

Acts 26:16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;

2Corinthians 12:1 It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

2Timothy 4:17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

2Cor 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

3. citizen817 says:

TAGGART LAKE, GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING

WALKING INTO THE MOUTH OF CASCADE CANYON IN GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING

4. citizen817 says:

CTH Retweet:

• New Nonna Again!!! says:

Thank you, Lucille. I always come to the daily post to find your posts of Truth and encouragement. I copy and share them w others. You are spreading much goodness and joy, my dear Lady.

God bless you. 🙏🏼💕😊

5. Lucille says:

This Guy Has Fed Dogs of the City’s Homeless for 5 Years; Now He Has Even Bigger Plans

6. Garrison Hall says:

7. Hey, I’ve been lurking like crazy this past year, a lot of sad and difficult things to work through. Kinda got stuck on iotw too.
    Anyway, hoping to be a more frequent commenter again, and to enjoy the upright and positive vibes that I typically associate with this place. 🙂

On a seperate note, I just recently tried out this recipe:
    It turned out very nicely, I’m thinking of making another one for my visiting brother and doubling the amount.

8. Troublemaker10 says:

9. Another beautiful day in paradise.

10. From last week…

11. Lucille says:

A fun vid…30 minutes….

Inside “The Duke” JOHN WAYNE’S “WILD GOOSE” WWII Navy Ship / House Boat (4/25/2018)

12. smiley says:

is it time ?

FED Up With Creeping Socialism, Conservatives In BIG Push For Constitutional Convention

August 12, 2018

Oklahoma Senator, Tom Coburn thinks “we’re three or four years away.”

so…what’s being “pushed”….

“On the agenda for convention of the states : an amendment to require a balanced budget, term limits for Congress, repealing the federal income tax, and giving states the power to veto any federal law, supreme court decision or executive order with a three fifths vote from the states .”

2/3 or 34 states are required to pass resolutions calling for a Constitutional Convention, at which point Congress would be required to convene one under Article V.

according to the article, Michigan became the 34th state in 2014.

13. Sepp says:

“The Man Who Owed Ten Thousand Talents”

Yesterday was the Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost on the traditional Orthodox Church calendar.

The Gospel reading was from Saint Matthew 18: 23-35.

Ten centuries ago Saint Theophylact of Ohrid and Bulgaria wrote commentaries on the New Testament for the Slavic peoples in his region. These timeless commentaries are being translated into English and the publisher shares selections on its website.

14. Sepp says:

“Islamic Operatives Use Soviet Tactics to Target Conservatives”

Example of the Milwaukee sheriff admitting having been duped about Islam.

From Understanding the Threat by John Guandolo.

15. smiley says:

before summer passes…

🙂

16. citizen817 says:

• Donna in Oregon says:

Our heroes are never forgotten.

An official memorial website has been established in honor of Captain Hughes.

There, the public can learn about him, upcoming memorial services, and where to send condolence letters or contributions.

The site also includes a section for visitor-submitted memories and condolences.

Memorial service information: Saturday, August 4, 2018, 11:00 am, Valdez Hall, Fresno Convention Center, 702 M St, Fresno, CA 93721.

“Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget
      falls drop by drop upon the heart
      until, in our own despair, against our will,
      comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.”

― Aeschylus

• FelineFine says:

Just viewed his pictures on the Sequoia Parks Conservancy site. What an amazing and impressive young man. Even more heart-breaking is his fiancée is expecting their child next February. May he rest in eternal peace in God’s loving arms.

• New Nonna Again!!! says:

‘No greater love’…

So sorry to hear this. God test his soul. A good man. Such a loss. 😢

17. Dora says:

Christian Benjamin Olsen was an Danish painter.

‘After The Rain’ 1929

18. smiley says:

Brilliant September Sun

oil/canvas

(no date)

Shelter From the Sun

oil/canvas

(no date)

Dennis Perrin ~ American (b.1950…Kansas, Louisiana, Boston) ~ Contemporary~ Impressionism, painter of light.

🙂

19. Dora says:

20. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.”
    Colossians 3:16 (KJV)

21. Dora says:

This bride will never forget her wedding day. 🙂

22. Dora says:

Socialists Wake Up!

===

A State of Deep Suffering in Venezuela’s Hospitals

Venezuela has the largest known oil reserves in the world, but under the leadership of Nicolas Maduro, its hospitals lack equipment, medicines, food, anesthetics and even pens. The doctors who remain face a daily struggle to treat patients with little more than hope.

• Donna in Oregon says:

Has anyone in Latin America offered to give the families of dead Americans that illegals, Cartel gangs and Fentanyl drugs have murdered any money for the funerals they are responsible for?

Nope.

Latin America has tons of money, they make billions off selling drugs in America… and they have rich people….billionaires, that can lift a finger and help.

We have a President that has been fighting virtually alone. Our sympathies should be there. Globalists can take care of their Socialist pals.

Perhaps we can concentrate on President Trump and help him fix our $22 Trillion dollar debt. Because rest assured, no country in Latin America is going to help rebuild a broken America.

23. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

24. Donna in Oregon says:

If you can today, send Fake News a message and contact one of the companies on this list.

We should start fighting for our President, he needs our help It should be a coordinated effort, as many people as we can just focus on one.

We need to even the score:

There’s more money on the left in media than there is on the right.
    Andrew Breitbart

There are a lot of lessons that people can take from me, that they can start to apply because I don’t think that I can beat the Democrat Media Complex by myself.
    Andrew Breitbart

Never give up!

25. Just got back from the Pier I fish..
    Went to *TRY* to see the Meteor Shower.. Storms, moved through for a bit, Got alil Wet..
    Took this picture as I was leaving..
    I hope everyone has a Blessed week..

26. smiley says:

ICYMI…

Perseid Meteor Shower, August 12, 2018…

27. trumpsbamagirl says:

Hello my fellow Treepers,

Tomorrow my 14 year old daughter is having a ‘bilateral femoral osteotomy’, in other words, she is having metal rods placed in the bone marrow of her femurs to rotate them and repair her ‘femoral anteversion’ condition.

I would sincerely appreciate prayers for her recovery. She will be wheelchair bound for a couple of weeks and for her start of high school. As a parent, there is no worse feeling than to see your child in pain and be helpless to make it go away.

I have been more of a reader than a commentor in the 3 years I’ve been on this site daily. I can always count on this amazing group of people to life my spirits, share my frustrations and especially to make me laugh out loud! I

Thank you!

• smiley says:

❤ 🙂

• Dora says:

The poor girl.

I will pray for her and for her family.

God Bless.

• Ddanna says:

Prayers for your daughters surgery and recovery with quick healing to eradicate the pain she has had. May God bless you both!

• skeinster says:

Prayers for a successful surgery, a pain-free recovery and kind and helpful kids at her high school.

• dbethd says:

Prayers for your daughter. I will post this also on the Prayer Thread:

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“a ‘bilateral femoral osteotomy’”

The most important thing for her to do afterwards is follow the surgeon’s and physical therapists’ directions EXACTLY for her recuperation. I am not familiar with that particular procedure, but I know failure to follow directions such as taking “shortcuts” or walking before you are suppose to can often lead to permanent damage that cannot be reversed after other surgeries involving the lower extremities.

• Lucille says:

trumpsbamagirl, definitely prayers for your dear child. May this be a time of increased reliance on the Lord’s love and peacefulness, being fully aware that He knows the end from the beginning. God bless you both richly.

• Donna in Oregon says:

Bama, in prayer now for you and your daughter.

Heavenly Father, watch over this child, and grant that she may be restored to that perfect health which it is yours alone to give; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

• Garrison Hall says:

🙂

• There are more prayers & wishes for you on the Prayer Thread (someone copied your post there) fyi…

I don’t know if you have experience in dealing with “special needs” & education. Depending on the complexity of your child’s needs there are special laws in place to protect your child in school & education. IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) & Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act provide specific protections.

wrightslaw.com

These are 2 sites with reams of info on managing the special needs of a child. The top one has a clickable map so you can find state-level resources to assist you.

My son had a Liver Transplant about a month before his Junior Year of High School began & we were able to incorporate many of his (temporary) medical needs into his IEP (Individualized Education Plan, under IDEA) so that returning to school was somewhat less burdensome than it would otherwise have been.

If you get the chance, please post a brief update about how you & your daughter are doing. God Bless & Keep you both during this challenging, healing season…

28. Troublemaker10 says:

29. Dora says:

30. duchess01 says:

MONDAY, AUGUST 13, 2018
    The Black Man’s ONLY TRUE Friend – The Lord Jesus Christ!

31. Ausonius says:

Just came across this: the Chinese Communist version of Chatty Kathy! 🙂

32. Lucille says:

Fascinating reading…

Thread by @ThomasWictor: “(1) This event got by me. First, the Russian Pantsir-S2 antiaircraft system in Syria. (2) The Russians advertise the Pantsir as capable of handling all aircraft and missiles.

33. Dora says:

When I was young, my aunt would take me to the city to eat at The Automat. I was so fascinated.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen one of those signs. 🙂

34. dbethd says:

Ezra Levant from the Rebel Media August 9th
    They’re trying to send Tommy Robinson back to prison. (Please help.)

Tommy Robinson just phoned me.

He’s supposed to be having a quiet vacation with his family. But he can’t. He’s had to go to the hospital twice, because of the physical abuse he suffered in prison.

They starved him. He lost 40 pounds in two months. He clearly has a form of post-traumatic stress, too, from being locked up in solitary confinement for so long, and being constantly threatened with violence from Muslim prison gangs.

You can see that just by watching the video of him when he was released. He’s not quite himself yet. But, he will get better. Even just being out of prison, and playing with his kids, will help him heal.

Tommy told me the bad news: they want to send him back to prison.

Three weeks from now.

On September 4th.

It’s outrageous.

Just last week the Court of Appeal confirmed that Tommy was improperly tried, improperly convicted, improperly sentenced, and improperly imprisoned. That’s why they set him free. It was a total vindication of everything Tommy had said.

But now the UK government wants to do it all over again. They’re not done with Tommy.

They want to put him through a second trial — for the exact same thing, his Facebook livestream that day back in May, in Leeds.

They want to put him in prison again. That will probably kill him.

You saw him after two months in solitary confinement. Now imagine him after 13 months.

Tommy is in jeopardy. So Tommy phoned me and asked me to help him one more time. Just until he’s better.

And I told him I would.

He needs help to pay for the lawyers — because they’ve got to prepare for that September hearing. So I’ve talked to the lawyers. They’ve started preparing.

And I’ve set up a crowdfunding page again. You can contribute below or click here to donate in British pounds.

The British government has unlimited funds. I think they’re trying to break Tommy — physically, psychologically and now financially.

There’s no way he can do this by himself. But if enough of us stand together with him, we’ve got a chance.

We’re also starting a massive petition, that we will personally deliver to the new Attorney General, demanding that they suspend their persecution of Tommy.

Tommy’s already served two months in prison improperly — it’s astounding that the UK government wants him to serve more time. Please sign our petition here.

I thought we were done last week with the Court of Appeal victory. But we’re not. The UK government wants to fight with Tommy — now that they think he’s weakened. Well, they forgot about one thing — they forgot about us, didn’t they?

Please help with Tommy’s legal fees. His lawyers need to prepare for the case immediately. You can contribute below now — let’s help our friend one last time.

If you prefer to send a cheque by snail mail, please write “Tommy” in the memo line and make it payable to “The Rebel” and send it to:

The Rebel
    PO Box 61056 Eglinton/Dufferin RO
    Toronto, Ontario M6E 5B2
    CANADA

35. smiley says:

so nostalgic 🙂

loved automats when I was a little kid, too….loved the pies 🙂

and remember how dressed-up people were back then ?

I really miss all that.

here’s a nice article with some great vintage shots..

also loved the automat cups & saucers..

😀

36. phoenixRising says:

37. rumpole2 says:

I gave up on Cavuto ages ago, but I just happened to catch sight of him interviewing Jim Jordan.. and un-muted just to hear Jim.
    For heavens sake.. Cavuto is going on and on about the Fake story regarding young wrestlers abused by team Dr…
    It is NOT a real issue even, but Jordan answered well.. but Cavuto just would not accept his answer.. just kept asking the same question.. about 4 different ways

38. anthonydog says:

This is not fake news…This is a lawsuit …it connects to Auchi who gave monies to Rezko for Obama’s Chicago house…Auchi received many millions in loans from Obam’s buddy Gianoulias’s family bank…Auchi and Al-Sa’adi are defendants and co-conspirators in the lawsuit for the genocide of the Kurds in Halabja …Al Sa’adi and Hamid Jafar worked together in a scheme, investigated by the U.S. Treasury Department, known as “Oil for Superweapons” to fund SADDAM’s and his brother’s WMD program…

Problem is that Obama gave Hamid Jafar a 35-year lease to cargo terminal Port Canaveral and soon a 50-year lease to the entire Port of Wilmington …And tat Hamid and his company went into a joint venture with Rostec for a WMD delivery system known as the CLUB-K.

OBAMA’S BILLIONAIRE PATRON NADHMI AUCHI WAS SUED FOR PROVIDING CHEMICAL WEAPONS USED IN HALABJA MASSACRE, KURDISH GENOCIDE; LAWSUIT NAMES SADDAM’S SUPERWEAPONS CZAR LT. GENERAL DR. AMIR AL-SA’ADI AS GENOCIDE CO-CONSPIRATOR; “SEVEN OF DIAMONDS” AL-SA’ADI AND GULFTAINER CO-OWNER HAMID JAFAR PLOTTED “OIL-FOR-SUPERWEAPONS” SCHEME INVESTIGATED BY US TREASURY, CONGRESS – The American Report

39. I like it.

40. Janie M. says:

This week, Joe Bonamassa featured a video of the Marshall Tucker Band (MTB) performing his favorite song, “Can’t You See.” I agree it’s a great tune but my all time favorite MTB song is “Heard It In A Love Song” from their Carolina Dreams album. This performance is from 1981. Loved that refrain, “Cain’t be wrong.” 😍

41. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

42. dogsmaw says:

Gen 6:5 ¶ And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. Gen 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. Gen 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.