Wednesday July 11th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

216 Responses to Wednesday July 11th – Open Thread

1. Lucille says:

This is in answer to a post Sunnydaze made at the Presidential thread regarding abortion because of child rape.

Sunnydaze, over the years from 1920 through 2017 four women on the maternal side of my family have had abortions…and that side is small. Among my personal friends, three have chosen that path. It doesn’t mean I love them any less because I believe abortion is taking a life…a life God intended to be in the outside-of-the-womb world.

In 2017 I was in contact with a public assistance client who had a 14 year old daughter and she herself was 27. She chose life for her child. It was her choice…at age 13. The boy or man who was the father was committing statutory rape, but I don’t know the details on that. She kept her child and both went into foster care.

Another of my family members was raped by her father when she was a mid-teenager. She chose to have the child which she subsequently gave up for adoption.

Though I hate the killing of precious and innocent children in the womb at any age for the mother, I am very seldom in condemnation of the woman herself. The only time I would be critical of that woman’s action is if she were gleeful about her abortions, laughed about it as many do today, or tried to convince others that a child is just a blob of tissue and that life does not begin at conception.

I don’t know if you are male or female, but either way you have to know that rape is a terrible act motivated by hate and a deranged need for power over another. One of the abortions in my family came about because of rape. She was an adult, though, not a child.

Counseling is always the way to proceed for any victim of rape, whether that rape results in a pregnancy or not. Under no circumstances should the victim be pressured either to have an abortion or not to have one. Everything should be explained as best as possible and age appropriately…what life is, what death means, what having a baby is like and what abortion entails. Even at 12 years old, a girl can understand and make a decision. I certainly understood at 12 years of age because my parents chose to inform my sister and me.

In these very sensitive issues of abortion because of child rape (though if a girl’s body is mature enough to get pregnant, she’s no longer a child physically), our long-term support should be toward the mother. If she makes an informed decision in favor of abortion, then we must give her the love she needs going forward. Personally, I would not be able to accompany her to an abortion clinic, but I would definitely be there to guide her in her future choices and help her deal with the psychological after effects of abortion which will surely come along with those of the rape and child abuse itself.

Tough choices, yes. But life is so very precious. That’s what always must be remembered. Also to be remembered is that God is the giver of life…He creates the spark of life, using humans as His instruments for procreation. Any time we make life and death decisions, this needs to be in the forefront of our minds, and what the decision will mean for our souls and the life to come is so very important.

I hope this in a tiny way answers some of your questions. Pro-life people aren’t heartless. We care about innocent life being given a chance. We also have to take a stand as to what is the ultimate right and the ultimate wrong. Not easy any way you look at it.

• boogywstew says:

I “liked” your post and “Sunnydaze’s” post. Abortion has touched my life as much as it can for a man.

• Lucille says:

boogywstew, my heart is with you. In an abortion, the father loses a child, too. Life is complicated. Living it with as few deep regrets possible is a challenge. I recall some of the decisions I’ve made in my 76 years and just shake my head.

The wonderful truth is that if we confess our sins to the Lord and sincerely ask His forgiveness, He will do just that. Redemption…it’s a beautiful thing.

• boogywstew says:

I wish I had your faith.

• Lucille says:

The thing to remember, boggy, is that God loves us. At one point Scripture says that God IS love. Reading and meditating upon what He reveals in Scripture brings us to a fuller faith. Even if we haven’t picked up a Bible since childhood and plenty of unpleasant things have happened in the interim, He’s still completely willing and able to speak to us through the written word. That’s how faith grows…sometimes all in a rush and sometimes slowly, but He’s always there waiting for us to start or continue on the path He’s provided.

God bless!

• sunnydaze says:

Thanks Lucille.

I think we are in agreement here. If a girl who is raped by her father CHOOSES to keep the baby. God Bless her…mightily.

But there are some (many?) who could not do that and still feel “clean”. I know I certainly would have been one of those people.

Those girls should never be condemned for the untenable position they were put in, IMO.

• Lucille says:

Now that I know you are a female…LOL!…I just want to say that many of us (maybe even most) are stronger than we think we are.

A man I know wrote a memoir about World War II–both his memories and the recollections of those he interviewed. Among those interviewees was a concentration camp survivor. She had been a ballerina before the war. Because she was beautiful, she was selected by the camp commandant to be a prostitute for the Nazis stationed there. The author asked her how she survived such degradation. She responded that somehow in her mind she determined that she would survive no matter what and was able to depart her body, believing she was somewhere wonderfully quiet and peaceful. She was able to do that every time she was raped. Into the world of her mind. That’s not to say she didn’t suffer then or later, but it was how she governed herself to survive.

Her story of endurance is just one of millions down through time. It’s the philosophy of you-do-what-you-have-to-do because you are a valuable human being who values other human beings. And you want to live to show others how grateful you are for life.

I’m not playing down our fears about how can we possibly survive what we think is unsurvivable. Those are legit fears. But as I somewhat indicated before, inner strength can come up through the depths of us and surprise us with its intensity and durability. I truly believe the saying, “Never give up” is one of the finest pieces of advice ever given.

2. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.