President Trump Remarks Before Senior Military Briefing…

President Trump participates in a briefing session with military leadership prior to a White House dinner with the leadership and their spouses:

Cabinet Room – 6:04 P.M. EDT – THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much. And thank you all for being here tonight. And welcome back to the White House. In particular, I want to thank Secretary Mattis and General Dunford for their incredible leadership and service. I also want to thank General Kelly and General McMaster for joining us this evening, and for their dedication to this administration. They have been really spectacular and done a great job.

It’s wonderful to be with all of you again. As I said during our last meeting, my number-one priority as Commander-in-Chief is to keep our people safe and to empower you, our senior military leaders, to do what you do best. Nobody does it better than the people in this room, believe me.

We have many pressing national security issues facing our country. In addition to devastating national disasters, we have had some big natural disasters, and some of you know exactly because your people have done an incredible job, and I appreciate it.

But, recently, we have had challenges that we really should have taken care of a long time ago, like North Korea, Iran, Afghanistan, ISIS, and the revisionist powers that threaten our interests all around the world. Tremendous progress has been made with respect to ISIS, and I guess the media is going to be finding out about that over the next short period of time.

It falls on the people in this room to defend the American people from these threats. I know we share a belief in putting the safety and the well being of the American people first, and I look forward to hearing from you and your ideas. We’ll be going to dinner right after this, and we’ll be discussing it further. But I look very much forward to discussing certain things right now, and we have certain very critical areas that we will be discussing.

In North Korea, our goal is denuclearization. We cannot allow this dictatorship to threaten our nation or our allies with unimaginable loss of life. We will do what we must do to prevent that from happening. And it will be done, if necessary — believe me.

In addition, we must not allow Iran to obtain nuclear weapons. The Iranian regime supports terrorism and exports violence, bloodshed, and chaos across the Middle East. That is why we must put an end to Iran’s continued aggression and nuclear ambitions. They have not lived up to the spirit of their agreement. And we will be discussing that tonight.

In Afghanistan, I’ve lifted restrictions and expanded authorities for commanders in the field. You know that very well, and everyone in this room is very happy that it’s been done finally. We’ve made more progress in our campaign to defeat ISIS in the last eight months than in many, many previous years, all combined.

I put my trust in you to execute our mission aggressively and effectively, and you are delivering. We’re ridding our world of terrorism and terrorists as much as it can be done. In all areas, I want to ensure that our armed forces have the funding, the readiness, and the force capacity to be successful. Our budget this year — as you know, well over $700 billion — is getting us back to the position we have to be. Almost never have we needed a great, powerful, strong, and brilliant military — and that’s where we are and that’s where we’re going, and going very rapidly.

Moving forward, I also expect you to provide me with a broad range of military options, when needed, at a much faster pace. I know that government bureaucracy is slow, but I am depending on you to overcome the obstacles of bureaucracy.

Finally, I want to thank each and every one of you for the immense personal sacrifices you and your family make on behalf of our great country. Your patriotism, selflessness, and courage are an inspiration to me and an inspiration to our entire nation.

I look forward to our discussion today, and I look especially forward to being with you and your spouses a little bit later, where we will have dinner but I know we’ll still be talking about what we all enjoy talking about. And perhaps our spouses have some better ideas than even we do — (laughter) — but I hope not. But I think that could be possible.

So again, thank you all for being here. We appreciate it very much. And thank you all very much.

Q Should bump stocks be banned?

THE PRESIDENT: We’ll be looking into that over the next short period of time. We’ll be looking into that over the next short period of time.

Q A decision on Iran, sir?

THE PRESIDENT: You’ll be hearing about Iran very shortly. Thank you.

END 6:10 P.M. EDT

This entry was posted in media bias, Military, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

125 Responses to President Trump Remarks Before Senior Military Briefing…

1. Publius2016 says:

How is this possible? Gen. Kelly is sitting nex to the President…but but but…he was kicked off AF1??!

2. dekester. says:

What an Incredible last week your President has had. Truly amazing what he accomplishes day in and day out.

Great to see him surrounded by these stellar Generals.

Your Senate and Congress…my goodness those two institutions are utterly useless.

Thank you all.

3. missmarple2 says:

Sundance, Do you have the clip with the photo op with the press where the President told them they were looking at “the calm before the storm?” Press went nuts and asked “WHAT storm?” and the President laughed and said, “You’ll see.”

4. rayvandune says:

Trump hides behind a facade of bombast that lulls our enemies into thinking he is a fool, as he unleashes our military at their throats.

5. rayvandune says:

6. WonkoTheSane says:

“Q Should bump stocks be banned?”

These clowns didn’t know what a bump stock was a week ago. Now they are experts and are sure they must be banned. They still don’t really know what a bump stock is.

• Oldschool says:

Unbelievable. He has his top brass there and speaking about NK, deneuclarization, Iran, ISIS and these bumblers are focused on bumpstocks. My little grandchildren have better focus.

• NvMtnOldMan says:

Wonk, yes, and why weren’t they concerned about it back when Obozo was in the WH??? I blame them for the LV stuff because they allowed the bump stock to be legal and put into production.

• BobBoxBody says:

A friend of my friend had one of those and it was junk. It didn’t fire reliably. There is the Echo Trigger system that basically gives your AR-15 2-round bust fire capability while getting around the NFA.

Honestly you can just mess with the sear and make your gun full-auto with one press of the trigger. Criminals don’t obey the law.

• dalethorn says:

Funny thing – 40 years ago I had a pocket .25 which had a lousy safety, and I let someone fire it and the thing didn’t engage after the first shot. Full auto on a very small clip. Hilarious and scary at the same time.

• CiscoKid says:

It takes more than just “messing around with the sear”But if you are comfortable in in modest machine shop, it can be done rather easily.
        But if you’re a couple of mikes off, you have a nice paperweight.
        Get caught, see you in 10 years.
        Knew a guy who had a friend that got caught with the parts to allow a M-14 into selective fire. Didn’t even own a M-14 but ATF considered the parts a machine gun.
        I think it’s like only 4 or 5 parts but that was enough to put him away.
        Same with suppressors.
        Just the internal baffles are considered a suppressor.
        Make sense because you only have to stick them in a tube, add a couple of end caps and voliá.

• No kidding.
      And I imagine anyone handy in the shop could construct a homemade version if they are taken off the market.

• MVW says:

Stocks are at an all time high, they get a bump all the time…
      /s

• Jenny R. says:

I think bump stocks should just go the way of market directed forces…eventually to fade away because people find out that they aren’t all that great.
      Perhaps rather than defending a bad piece of equipment, it might be better to remind people which president made them legal (hint: the one between Trump and Bush).

• wolfmoon1776 says:

If I was more of a deceiving Alinsky conservative, I would feign horror at the loss of bump stocks, and make liberals think it was some great trophy scalp that they had taken from us. The reality is that they’re an idiot novelty, but should never have been allowed. “Rube Goldberg automatic fire” is what it is. But it’s still automatic fire, using a semiautomatic mechanism defeated by pure additions. It’s like the worst add-on hack extension possible, but it works.

Nevertheless, this is a wonderful opportunity to call out Obama for setting up the foundation of his own side’s “sketchy flag” incident, as well as reminding people WHY Obama was so backhandedly lenient on guns during his first term. It was all an act – a deception – to get re-elected in 2012, followed by an IMMEDIATE attempt to grab the guns.

Under ANY Republican administration, bump stocks would never have been allowed. Took a while for me to understand why Osatan did it. Same as going loose with the guns in Fast and Furious. He saw nasty opportunity in planned failure. Osaboteur.

• And they do not know that you can bump-shoot any semi auto simply by keeping your trigger finger tightly locked and hold the stock an inch away from your shoulder. Of course, after you shoot a hundred rounds this way it feels like Mike Tyson has been punching your shoulder for an hour……

7. RE Senate Intel Committee’s ZERO EVIDENCE-FINDINGS “Russia Investigation”:

President Trump should assail its leaders Burr and Warner for failing to investigate Russia’s penetration of NSA Data, then finger them for “COVERING for RUSSIA” by burying all evidence and findings from their FAKE INVESTIGATION, and demand that McConnell remove them from the Intel Committee.

Watch the Dastardly Duo backpeddle by asserting what they cannot prove: They have no evidence. No American could believe them after their press conference charade. And President Trump can then propose that the Senate censure them for “waste, fraud and abuse”, or invite getting primaried for THEIR cover-up.

Then watch them frantically throw out the Joker evidence they “found” to assert they really didn’t waste taxpayer funds on their GREAT SNIPE HUNT escapade, with nothing to pin on Russia. Make President Trump’s day proving they’ve let Russia off the hook.

Then muse on Twitter whether he should have AG Sessions prosecute the pair for “aiding and abetting Russia as their self-proclaimed enemy of America.

8. Ziiggii says:

“Calm before the storm…”

What did he mean by this???????

9. Pam says:

10. Pam says:

11. emet says:

Then there is the problem of ISIS paying CIA spooks to commit mass murder.

12. wyntre says:

13. TheWanderingStar says:

The Chattering Class are insufferable.

14. CorwinAmber says:

I still remember vividly how much pressure was on us at the Pentagon to respond quickly to 9/11, but President Bush to his credit said this was going to be a war and not some criminal investigation, so it took us some time to get all the pieces in place before we “unleashed hell” upon Al Qaeda and their Taliban protectors. My guess is that President Trump has spent the past 8 months sizing up the military leadership that was left to him by Obama and has been considering the range of options and operations available to the CINC…which will be numerous and hard to digest at first since he does not come from a military background. That being said, I would expect he has been ramping up the recon forces in various places in order to strike swiftly and surely with maximum effect and minimal casualties. The precision and lethality of our weaponry is mind boggling to behold and I am putting in an extra large order of popcorn for the fireworks. My deux centimes FWIW

15. Howie says:

Gonna get bumpy…be prepared

16. fleporeblog says:

Our President’s love ❤️ for our military is so inspiring for the men and women that fight to protect us day in and day out. What he has already accomplished for our veterans is breathtaking. He will move mountains for all those that have served and are currently serving.

The job of Commander in Chief could not be in better hands!

17. Pam says:

18. Anonymous says:

Is the storm the firing of Mueller?

19. NJF says:

Love how he throws out fresh meat for the FSM to freak over.

CBS is a joke.

FLOTUS looks lovely, while being very conservative and understated in her fashion choice.

As for the Gen Kelly hysteria I have found that since I stopped following Cerno, Breitbart et al my BP has gone down considerably. Even Dobbs has been insufferable the last week or so with regard to the inane gossip.

• Trumppin says:

Bannon Started that kelly nonsense….. more and more i think others will notice where all the attacks on PDJT staff/admin are coming from and stop and ask… Why?

$Trillions are at stake, enough to buy a steve bannon

20. Jenny R. says:

And once again he leaves a little statement for people to chew on over the weekend.

• domain496 says:

P45 is a master composer, media is his violin.. his tweets, comments are the notes he gives them and they obediently sound the music. It’s my favorite symphony… right now the music is building… it’s a lovely movement. Very inspiring, passionate, moving.. it gives me goosebumps. I could listen to his composition for hours. Because he makes it look so effortless.. his Requiem for the Media…

21. Rudy Bowen says:

Well, a toast to all of y’all tonite…’confusion to the enemy’.

22. A great photo of the President and First Lady with his Military Leaders and significant others. Do you think Obama ever did anything like this? Doubtful.

23. Paul says:

Trumps is ready to dig into the swamp. Especially after this tragedy. The President is going to move forward on key issues.
    I believe it’s right about now is where we are going to start seeing the offense.

24. Pam says:

• Swedishmeatball says:

All hands are on the table. Trump is the card dealer. The military leaders are the players waiting for their card with their mission on it. I would hate to be on the wrong side of that table.

• eagledriver50 says:

Get the EXTERNAL Stuff done first AND then CONCENTRATE ON THE INTERNAL STUFF…Functional Decomposition. Get the right people in place, make sure what is put in place is working, then say…”You can handle this.” Move on to next problem. WHATEVER it is, I am not going to guess but I will say this…It’s MOAB Time and mostly likely on ALL FRONTS. News weenies will not be able to keep up which creates CONFUSION except for our NINJA President…”The Art of War” comes to mind.

25. Sid Farkiss says:

I hope what they are really discussing is how to neutralize and eliminate the domestic threat.

26. xyzlatin says:

This is of course, theatre. For NK, the World, and for the Dems and Never Trumpers. The Commander in Chief surrounded by a bunch of top commanders all with smiles, ie, all supporting him. It is ramming home to the Dems the fact that he is President.
    I am wondering whether Pres Obama had the number of dinners, meetings, etc that seems to be the Trump White House? Pres Trump seems to have constant social activity, interaction and networking with all layers of US society, while working non stop and he doesn’t seem to be wilting at a program that would stop an elephant. I think of him as “machine man” as opposed to “rocket man”.

27. wheatietoo says:

I love it that he did this.
    It was a show of solidarity with our Military and it messes with the heads of all of his/our enemies….both foreign and domestic.

I saw this and loved it, too:

Very nice.
    I hope she sends it to our President.

28. Pam says: