Ted Cruz Op-Ed “The Imperial Presidency of Barack Obama”

In the nation’s history, there is simply no precedent for an American president so wantonly ignoring federal law…

TED CRUZ – Of all the troubling aspects of the Obama presidency, none is more dangerous than the president’s persistent pattern of lawlessness, his willingness to disregard the written law and instead enforce his own policies via executive fiat. On Monday, Mr. Obama acted unilaterally to raise the minimum wage paid by federal contracts, the first of many executive actions the White House promised would be a theme of his State of the Union address Tuesday night.

The president’s taste for unilateral action to circumvent Congress should concern every citizen, regardless of party or ideology. The great 18th-century political philosopher Montesquieu observed: “There can be no liberty where the legislative and executive powers are united in the same person, or body of magistrates.” America’s Founding Fathers took this warning to heart, and we should too.

Ted Cruz and Mike Lee lg

Rule of law doesn’t simply mean that society has laws; dictatorships are often characterized by an abundance of laws. Rather, rule of law means that we are a nation ruled by laws, not men. That no one—and especially not the president—is above the law. For that reason, the U.S. Constitution imposes on every president the express duty to “take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed.”

Yet rather than honor this duty, President Obama has openly defied it by repeatedly suspending, delaying and waiving portions of the laws he is charged to enforce. When Mr. Obama disagreed with federal immigration laws, he instructed the Justice Department to cease enforcing the laws. He did the same thing with federal welfare law, drug laws and the federal Defense of Marriage Act.

On many of those policy issues, reasonable minds can disagree. Mr. Obama may be right that some of those laws should be changed. But the typical way to voice that policy disagreement, for the preceding 43 presidents, has been to work with Congress to change the law. If the president cannot persuade Congress, then the next step is to take the case to the American people. As President Reagan put it: “If you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat” of electoral accountability.

President Obama has a different approach. As he said recently, describing his executive powers: “I’ve got a pen, and I’ve got a phone.” Under the Constitution, that is not the way federal law is supposed to work.

The Obama administration has been so brazen in its attempts to expand federal power that the Supreme Court has unanimously rejected the Justice Department’s efforts to expand federal power nine times since January 2012. […]

That would be wrong—and it is the Obama precedent that is opening the door for future lawlessness. As Montesquieu knew, an imperial presidency threatens the liberty of every citizen. Because when a president can pick and choose which laws to follow and which to ignore, he is no longer a president. (continue reading)

This entry was posted in Election 2014, Election 2016, Heros, Tea Party, Ted Cruz, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Ted Cruz Op-Ed “The Imperial Presidency of Barack Obama”

1. justfactsplz says:

I am so glad you posted this Sundance. I had read the Washington Post article. He pulls no punches. He tells it like it is. Cruz and his fellow Tea Party politicians give us real hope for change.

2. Stormy says:

I wish I would receive a dollar for every time a liberal DemocRAT googles “Montesquieu” today… I’d be a millionaire by noon, I’m sure.

• jordan2222 says:

Not only is Ted Cruz brilliant, he is also well educated and, no doubt, understands our Constitution better than anyone else on the hill.

I have always thought that all of them should have to pass a comprehensive test about our Constitution, including the Federalist Papers and our history, similar to attorneys having to pass a bar exam to practice law. IMO, this should be a requirement to run for any public office.

• LetJusticePrevail" says:

One thing that I notice about Ted Cruz is the ease with which he responds to questions and comments from others during interviews. IMO, that comes not only from intelligence and education, but also from sincerity. Ted isn’t some politician who adopted a particular point of view for political expediency, he’s an individual who lives and breaths what he speaks. His message comes from his heart, not from a mental “playbook” that he has to reference between “takes”. He is the “genuine article”.

• Morning Treepers.

It’s called the ability to speak extemporaneously on any topic, with ones own words.

Obama (along most Dem politicians, and several Repubs) doesn’t seem to have his own words. When there’s no teleprompter or list of talking points memorized, they simply cannot speak like normal, thoughtful people.

I would wager that all of this site’s Admins, and most of it’s commenters, would be able to win any public, un-moderated debate with this president, by simply speaking their own words.

Heck, Chris Matthews could probably beat Obama in a debate.

Not that he would DARE approach his God-King, or even think that he could.

But he could.

• justfactsplz says:

Yes, he is the real deal. We need more like him.

• Lou says:

the Federalist Papers were co-authored by Alexander Hamilton. most Libertarians I know are against him.

3. jordan2222 says:

The fact that he does all of this with no consequences is truly tragic. Who is going to stop him and how would they do it? IDK

4. Czar of Defenestration says:

“…take steps without legislation…”.

Umm…isn’t that saying I’LL ACT ILLEGALLY or
    I’LL ACT OUTSIDE THE LAW
    just using other words?

Intent to commit felony. ON VIDEO.

5. Murse says:

I have read many White Nationalist comments and the belief seems to be that there should be no surprise that the most corrupt President in American history turned out to be a Black President. The equation being: Black = Entitlement Mentality + Criminality. I think it is more ideology than race and if he were White he would be doing the same (race is a means to an end for Obama). Anybody have any other thoughts?

• taqiyyologist says:

You are correct at the end, Murse.

Most here would relish the idea of a President Allen West, or a President Thomas Sowell, or a president Walter Williams.

But at the beginning of your comment, I have to disagree. There, as far as I know, are no “White Nationalists” commenting or posting here. I’ve got a pretty keen eye for that sort of nonsense, and I rarely see that here.

Your equation would be better phrased: Modern Black “Culture” = Entitlement Mentality + Criminality. Anyone who sees that fact isn’t a White Nationalist.

West, Sowell, W. Williams, Armstrong Williams, Alfonzo Rachel, Kevin Jackson, Starr Parker — they don’t subscribe to “Black Culture” and they all realize that the equation as I present it is absolutely true — nor do tens of thousands of other Blacks who instead subscribe to American Culture. Conservative Culture. Christian Culture.

• taqiyyologist says:

Show of hands?

Who here feels “pride” that they are White?

How about “superior”?

• Murse says:

Sorry, I was refering to other sites I peruse.

• LetJusticePrevail" says:

I’m proud of my heritage and proud of my family’s history. (well, almost all of it, up to, but not including that little horse stealing incident back in Ireland about 150 years ago…). Does that mean I’m proud of being white? It it does, than I guess I am.

But do I feel “superior” because of my ancestry?

Not at all. I’ve met people of every race who I felt were more intelligent, better educated and more accomplished than me. I’ve also met people of every race who were I believed were not as intelligent, not as well educated, and not as well accomplished as I was. Race doesn’t determine superiority, but hard work and a willingness to educate oneself certainly does.

• taqiyyologist says:

You may be falsely equating “pride” with “thankfulness”.

I didn’t accomplish my whiteness. If I climb a tall mountain, I can be proud of that.

Only one person could have conceivably been proud of their whiteness: Michael Jackson.

Indeed, and same here.

• Murse says:

Race is a component of ones culture and not all cultures have achieved the same heights. How much of race factors into that is debatable but I think it is wrong to say it has zero value.

• Wizzum says:

If he were white he would never had made it this far, I don’t care if he is black but really? The only reason that he made it past primaries is that he was never challenged by anyone; Liberal or conservative media. Why was it never blasted from the rooftops that he was a pot head at college?

6. raskog says:

Mr. Obama had to take an oath to uphold the Constitution. Once in office, he swore to change the Constitution. Now we see him trample on the Constitution, in action and now, in recorded words, witnessed by the entire world. The time has come to legally remove him from office. Thank you, Mr. Cruz for the ad, since the media takes liberty to edit out crucial parts of Cruz’s interview. We must donate to Cruz to help him continue his fight against this lawless, murderous fiend in the Oval Office – who got there from voter fraud in 2013. Do not assume that GOP will win Senate in 2014. It is just to make you complacent. Step at a time. As SD said, McConnell has to be out in 2014!

7. Pingback: An Imperial Presidency Threatens the Liberty of Every Citizen. | Talk Wisdom

8. Sal Paradise says:

Anyone notice last night how he demanded congress close Guantanamo? He said he would close it his first year. Now, it’s someone else’s problem…..

9. Josh says:

Senator Ted Cruz’s YouTube channel:

10. Jim says:

And yet, the congress does nothing to stop him. Not even some symbolic gesture.

• Sharon says:

They don’t have any compelling reasons to stop him since they aren’t all that opposed to what he’s doing.

The train they are riding pulled out of the station over a hundred years ago. All it has done under his rule is is increase its speed significantly and the people living along the track have finally noticed – “Wow. That train’s going really fast, isn’t it? Isn’t it going faster than it used to?”

It’s the same train. Going the same direction. The destination noted on the front of the locomotive hasn’t changed.

They do nothing to stop him because they’re sort of all right with it.

• Josh says:

(5:30) Mark Levin makes the recommendation that Congress pass a resolution stating something to the effect of:

“Whereas the President of the United States has asserted executive powers not granted to him under the United States Constitution, the United States House of Representatives hereby asserts as an equal governing institution that all such acts by the President of the United States are null and void. The House of Representatives further asserts that no federal department, federal official or federal employee is authorized to appropriate any sum of taxpayer dollars in furtherance of any unconstitutional act by the President of the United States.”

11. clash108 says:

Ted Cruz is simply brilliant. This is the man I will be voting for President next election. This is the man we need as President right now.

12. Pingback: SOTU: DO YOU LIKE SEN. LEE'S RESPONSE TO THE IMPERIAL PRESIDENT? - Angry White Dude

13. taqiyyologist says:

Related:

I agree with the first comment, by “Dax”, too.

Yes, but what he SHOULD have done is stand up, looked him in the eye, declared him unfit for Office, and THEN walked out. Where the hell are all the politicians with a spine?…Disgusting. One guy walks out? One would have hoped he would have had the testicular fortitude to challenge others to do the same.

14. taqiyyologist says:

Allen West, today, referencing WaPo’s Glenn Kessler:

“So let me just come out and say it. I see Obama as a pathological liar.[Taq: THAT is why I want West for President, right there…] Hardly a surprise, considering he was awarded the “Lie of the Year” for 2013. Obama is definitely keeping Washington Post Fact Checker, Glenn Kessler, in business.

In fact, Kessler offered up these little morsels from last night.”

15. czarowniczy says:

Yah y’all, but come on, it’s all for the greater good. Sometimes you jes gotta swallow that bad tastin’ medcin to get more better.