As we have continued to outline “The Real Libyan Story” serendipity has risen and provided affirmation for over three years’ worth of research and presentations.

In his soon to be released book “Duty” Robert Gates specifically outlines the influence of Samantha Power in establishing U.S. policy.   A policy of complete failure which has given rise to al-Qaeda’s growth.

Duty - by Robert Gates 1Perhaps against the backdrop of a USA Today article published yesterday showing the rise of al-Qaeda, the sheer weight of empherical evidence is going to overwhelm the false claims of Team Obama/Clinton.

(Washington Post)  [S]imilarly, in a battle over defense spending, “I was extremely angry with President Obama,” Gates writes. “I felt he had breached faith with me . . . on the budget numbers.” As with “don’t ask, don’t tell,” “I felt that agreements with the Obama White House were good for only as long as they were politically convenient.”

Gates acknowledges forthrightly in “Duty” that he did not reveal his dismay. “I never confronted Obama directly over what I (as well as [Hillary] Clinton, [then-CIA Director Leon] Panetta, and others) saw as the president’s determination that the White House tightly control every aspect of national security policy and even operations. His White House was by far the most centralized and controlling in national security of any I had seen since Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger ruled the roost.”

Samantha Power Leaving White House West Wing

It got so bad during internal debates over whether to intervene in Libya in 2011 that Gates says he felt compelled to deliver a “rant” because the White House staff was “talking about military options with the president without Defense being involved.”

Gates says his instructions to the Pentagon were: “Don’t give the White House staff and [national security staff] too much information on the military options. They don’t understand it, and ‘experts’ like Samantha Power will decide when we should move militarily.” Power, then on the national security staff and now U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, has been a strong advocate for humanitarian intervention.

Samantha Power - Susan Rice - President Obama - May 2011 during the decision to arm the Libyan "rebels".

Samantha Power – Susan Rice – President Obama – May 2011 during the decision to arm the Libyan “rebels”.

Another time, after Donilon and Biden tried to pass orders to Gates, he told the two, “The last time I checked, neither of you are in the chain of command,” and said he expected to get orders directly from Obama.  (read more)

This entry was posted in Clinton(s), Dear Leader - Creepy POTUS Worship, Egypt & Libya Part 2, Election 2012, Election 2014, Election 2016, Islam, Israel, Jihad, media bias, Military, Obama re-election, Obama Research/Discovery, propaganda, Susan Rice, Terrorist Attacks, The Story of Libya, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Robert Gates’ Book “Duty” Confirms Influence of Advisor Samantha Power – Obama’s Advisers Were Talking About Military Options In Libya Without Consulting The Military…

1. rightie says:

These people make me ill.

2. Sharon says:

But Gates says he did not speak his mind when the committee chairman listed the problems he would face as secretary. “I remember sitting at the witness table listening to this litany of woe and thinking, “What the hell am I doing here? I have walked right into the middle of a category-five shitstorm. It was the first of many, many times I would sit at the witness table thinking something very different from what I was saying.”

Well, isn’t that just peachy.

Earlier in the article he also acknowledges not confronting obama over things that made him (Gates) deeply angry and very concerned about what was going on in the White House.

There are hundreds of books published on who won which war and how they did it. How many hundreds of books are people going to write about what they knew, when they knew it, what they could have done, and what they didn’t do about it?

• sundance says:

…. Yes, and…. people wonder why Edward Snowden left the U.S. to voice dissent.

… and people wonder why, despite the crowd, no-one jumped on to the tracks to help the fallen widow…

… a nation built on sacred honor is losing both the sacred and the honor part.

• LetJusticePrevail" says:

When the Snowden incident first hit the news, I was deeply critical of him. in regards to the manner in which he chose to do what he did. As time passed, I had to ask myself a serious question; “How else could he have done it?”

What choice does Snowden have, as a whistleblower, when the one person (the president) who held the ultimate decision over his fate was complicit in the very scheme Snowden was exposing? How else could the scheme be exposed, when the American media was going to cover the administration’s collective butt? I honestly can’t think of any venue for his revelations, other than that of a foreign news organization, and for him to seek foreign asylum.

• nyetneetot says:

“How many hundreds of books are people going to write about what they knew, when they knew it, what they could have done, and what they didn’t do about it?”

I really fear nothing positive will happen in the end for the country from this book or future books on this subject. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be written or read. I’m saying the people who could take action to change things are not in position to do so.

• yankeeintx says:

If he had opened his mouth, he would have just been purged along with all the Generals. I do wish he would have come foreward with this information sooner, but he was probably trying to fly under the radar so as not to become a drone strike.

• Sharon says:

If that’s the case, then obama has completely neutralized the pushback from anyone who has the responsibility to defend the Constitution and the nation.

Why does Rand Paul waffle immigration? Probably trying to fly under the radar so as not to become a drone strike.

Why is Boehner so useless? Probably trying to fly under the radar so as not to become a drone strike.

Why did Justice Roberts cave? Probably trying not to become a drone strike.

I understand intimidation tactics and the reality of cowards’ hearts and how useful they are to the enemies of liberty.

So as the nation sinks slowly beneath the waves, at least we can all comfort ourselves with the thought that – it is for fear of becoming a drone strike. Because we are aware of countless good people in authority who would have done something, who saw something, who would have said something – except that they felt it necessary to fly under the radar so as not to become a drone strike,

That’s not sarcasm. That’s rage.

But I see your point: It has become necessary for those who have spoken an oath to not say anything for fear of a drone strike.

• yankeeintx says:

My father took that oath and proudly served in the Navy for over 23 years. He volunteered for a second tour in Vietnam and explained to my mother that he had to go back because he had left boys behind. The boys were 17-19 years old. Had my father opened his mouth about how he really felt, he would have just been reprimanded and booted. With his knowledge and experience, he was the best chance those boys had to make it home alive.
          Gates was in a simular situation. Had he opened his mouth, he would have just been shut out. He tried to do what he could: “Don’t give the White House staff and [national security staff] too much information on the military options. They don’t understand it, and ‘experts’ like Samantha Power will decide when we should move militarily.” He was not in a position where confronting Obama would have changed anything. Had he run to the media, they would have covered up for Obama, and the administration would have just discreadited Gates. Maybe he decided the best option was to try and do as much as he could, and to stick around to “bear witness” to the evil. He didn’t have to write this book or come forward with this information. Sometimes the best resistance fighters have to work within the system of the enemy.

• auscitizenmom says:

It does make one wonder how far this has all gone. And, I am certain if Gates had voiced his opinion at the time, he would simply have been replaced and terrorized to keep silent. Maybe this was the only way.

• Sharon says:

The principle may be true but that doesn’t mean it has universal application to after-action confessions from people who acknowledge that they did not fulfill their oath of office and repeatedly lied under oath to Congressional committees.

• yankeeintx says:

What would you have wanted him to do, and how would it have changed the course of events?
              I would have preferred that this information would have come out prior to the 2012 elections, but would it have made a difference? Benghazi didn’t even make a difference, so this would have probably just come across as ranting from a disgruntled ex-Bush employee.

I am not trying to make Gates out to be a hero of epic proportions, but I do want to read his book and see if he explains why he chose the actions that he did. There are Generals and high ranking military that have quit, rather than to bow down to Obama. Should these men be praised for quitting (before they were fired) because they couldn’t fulfill their oath against all enemies foreign and domestic? Don’t they also have a duty to their troops? What happens to all the young men serving when the CIC is the enemy, and they have no one but boot lickers leading them? This book hasn’t even been released yet, and the administration is scrambling for cover while heads are exploding, and that’s a good thing. I think it is too early to judge him, until we see the results of the fallout and what this information accomplishes. Sometimes you need to go along, to get along, with the end result toppling the evil empire, time will tell.

• Sharon says:

I’m not judging him (I presume you’re using the word in the sense of – I have no right to my opinion of his actions – and even if I was – “judging” is nothing more than evaluating according to some standard.

A former cabinet member is admitting he lied to Congress and went along with diabolical and unconstitutional actions that have brought great harm to our nation.

I doubt very much he was operating (either then or now) over some deeply thought out intention to “go along to get along, with the end result toppling the evil empire….” He was a coward and liar while in the position and is a coward and covering his butt now, telling the story in a way that elevates him, as though he is turning state’s evidence and shouldn’t we all be grateful. That’s just my take on it. That is my opinion.

If he was serious about toppling the evil empire, he would be talking to Congress about hearings or a special investigator. But he is not. He’s publishing a book.

Since, as you say, the White House is have splodey heads, that would indeed suggest they feel vulnerable. Since, apparently, then the info is that hot – would have been nice if he had made use of the oversight functions of Congress.

That’s my opinion. I will not praise liars and cowards, even if their actions can eventually be turned to the benefit of courageous truth tellers. I will not give him the benefit of the doubt.

Americans have been giving people in power in our government the benefit of the doubt for fifty years. I see no evidence that it has had results that we should want to repeat.

Book Recommendadtion: Saddam’s Secrets, by General Georges Sada – who told the truth to Saddam, while – all throughout – Saddam had the power to shoot him on the spot for displeasing him.

• yankeeintx says:

You presume correctly. For me, judging is forming an opinion based on all the know facts. In this case, I do not know all the facts, which may be forthcoming in the book. Based on this statement:

I don’t see where he is “admitting he lied to Congress and went along with diabolical and unconstitutional actions that have brought great harm to our nation.” I did not witness his testimony, nor do I have the facts that he lied. Did he tell the “truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth”, but did not interject his own personal opinions? If he was really diabolical, I don’t think he would have told the Pentagon not to share information with the White House. Like I said, I don’t have all the facts, and it is quite possible that you posses more information than I do, but I don’t see where he committed unconstitutional acts.
                  There have been elections that I have voted for the lesser of two evils. Am I a coward for not abstaining because I couldn’t choose a righteous candidate? I don’t know what threats he might have been facing, and that might not even be in the book, but people have ended up dead around Obama and Hillary. I know who Robert Gates is, I recognise the name, but during his tenure, I (due to massive amounts of turmoil in my life) wasn’t really paying attention. The past couple of years I have become more engaged in learning what is going on, through this site and others. Maybe after doing more thorough research on the guy, I’ll understand your opinions better. For right now, I applaud his coming forward, because he didn’t need to do so, and I doubt he has done so absent any personal risk.
                  Do you think that Dietrich Bonhoeffer swore an oath of allegiance to the Fuhrer when he joined the Abwehr? If so, he broke that oath and this is what he said: “He did not justify his action but accepted that he was taking guilt upon himself as he wrote “when a man takes guilt upon himself in responsibility, he imputes his guilt to himself and no one else. He answers for it…Before other men he is justified by dire necessity; before himself he is acquitted by his conscience, but before God he hopes only for grace.” I personally don’t know if Gates has also taken that guilt upon himself. I am not implying that Gates actions are comparable to Bonhoeffer, but sometimes people do the wrong things for the right reasons. Like you, I’m just giving my opinion, which is subject to change. I appreciate you sharing yours, as always.

• jordan2222 says:

Gates does not seem have the courage of his convictions either.

3. justfactsplz says:

I am looking forward to seeing Gate’s exposure of these clowns that advise Obama. I don’t think the military backs Obama and I wouldn’t blame them. I wish they would remove him from Our House.

• rashomon says:

If you were the military, how would you like to be run around by Samantha Powers, who has credentials as a journalist (3 years), an academic and an author on human rights (?) before hitting the big time at Harvard heading policy projects. It reminds me of a certain school (that will remain nameless) noted for hiring their former star students as professors when they were fired from very public projects. And just as Obama is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize before he warms the sheets at the White House, Powers is named at age 34 one of Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world? Plus a Pulitzer? If I were Gates or any of the military with decades of experience around the world, I would throw more than a rant.

• CarrieAnn says:

Between the corruption, lack of experience, and transparent agendas of many of the so-called experts and advisers Obama surrounds himself with, it’s a wonder anyone in the military (or any other department) still follows any of dear leader’s orders.

It’s also a huge problem and very telling of this administration that the actual experts with knowledge and experience either aren’t being consulted or don’t feel they can express their dismay at what’s going on. After all, Obama has managed to purge anyone who doesn’t agree with his agenda, and his administration clearly has no qualms in throwing their own under the bus or to the wolves when politically convenient.

What I find most concerning though is that we seem to be seeing a military that is advocating against intervention in many of these affairs, yet the administration seems bent on pursuing military action at any cost despite already disasterous consequences. I understand why Gates may have not been able to stand up to Obama on the job, but I feel it’s time for him along the fired officers and everyone else whose been purged to bring the truth of what they know to light.

• rashomon says:

I’m watching a rerun of Carney jumping through hoops, quoting any section of Gates’ book that supports Obama and Biden. What angers me most is his repeated comments on how much Obama and his crew respect the military. Sorry, dawg. The last five years have been a disaster. From exposing our Seals, rescue helicopters and troops to unmitigated danger…to ignoring the counsel of experienced military and foreign affairs officers…to waltzing away from any blame on a miss-mash foreign policy that enables America’s enemies…to simply closing unmanned Veterans’ memorials in D.C. for lack of money to pay non-existent personnel, he sticks it to anyone that doesn’t agree with his limited, if non-existent, experience in almost every area of governance.

Having watched others have to manipulative from the cat-bird’s seat, I appreciate Gates’ tenuous situation and am only glad he’s come out with his book before Obama’s term ends and Hiliary is elevated to high heaven in clouds of media propaganda.

• justfactsplz says:

How true. Samantha Powers doesn’t have the credentials to be making these important military decisons for our country.

4. Spar Harmon says:

Simply contemplating 2 things amply answers why no traction for push back has existed for 5 years. Think about, and put yourself in the place of the staff of the Secret Service, and the military Security Details. They are silent. They hang on to their jobs and are silent. Now include all the Aides and support personnel to elected officials in Congress. They hang on to their jobs and are silent. I can imagine this thought, Yeah but who would I tell what I have witnessed?
    I do not think these folks don’t experience moral outrage and an affront to their sense of honor… at least some of them. I like to think I would at least quit and go do something, anything else. I well understand this devastating silence and I cry for what so many in our country have become. I came into adulthood 1959-1962 in the military intelligence community and I was demoralized, devastated, outraged, and grieved THEN as I learned the reality about how my country “did business” in the world. But mostly demoralized. So I decided since NO government agency, federal, state, or local could be trusted with power over my life, I must learn to practice invisibility.
    In May1962, my enlistment was up and I started disappearing. 5 months later I had put together news and between the lines analysis and what I knew from my service and I knew that all of the remaining 30 men in my intelligence gathering group in Vietnam were dead… as I was crying and raging, and yelling out at the woodpile incoherently while splitting, splitting, splitting until the dead were piled all around me. Then silent and exhausted I realized my Dad was quietly helping me stack. Suddenly I understood why my Dad never discussed his war service. And why he never asked me a question about mine. But he helped me reassume my sanity.
    I have been able to maintain a life with a certain core integrity by being anonymous to government by living a selectively, creative “ordinary life”, but there is a burning core of anger that my beloved country is corrupt overall as far as the principles of its founding go. But for me it is still one nation under God, so I have always been alert for the quiet patriots who are everywhere and make common cause where possible, but most are also living a guarded life. Something is wrong when so many feel they must live below the “radar” to maintain liberty and for themselves and their posterity… Most are more relaxed about it than me, but I can’t quit seeing my dead friends as a pile of burning bodies….

• rmnewt says:

We must live for the ideals of those we’ve lost. Like you, I’ve not been able to reconcile the loss of so many of my fellow fighter pilots in training (post Vietnam). I do however, have the faith that our foundering principle of liberty still dominates our nation.

• rashomon says:

How appropriate that “Three Days of the Condor” was on TV last night.

• west1890 says:

we’ve had a conversation here at our house several times over the past few years…”if you had information that might bring this admin down and expose who and what they are, who would you go to with that information?” We’ve always come up with the same answer………….”I can’t think of anyone, locally or nationally, that I would trust enough to give it to them”. Nothing is what it seems to be and no one is who they want you to think they are.

5. ctdar says:

Written proof that no one is in charge of our country.

• dws says:

Actually, I would say that this is further proof that Satan is in charge of our country.

• Sharon says:

It’s written proof that we are no longer a functioning Republic and that our Constitution is irrelevant and has been for some time.

It’s written proof (added to the 2 million other pieces) that what has been known to be true about obama for at least five years is – wait for it – true.

😦 👿 And yet we’re still on defensive and providing excuses for him …. “Well, maybe he had really good reasons….”

6. rmnewt says:

At some point that pesky concept of INTEGRITY comes into play. This book seems nothing more than a soul cleansing attempt.
    He could have stood by principle at the time or before the election and not hide in the shadows.
    I guess we should be thankful to know his inside perspective now. Maybe its also a little bit of belated courage or lack of sufficient NSA data to stop/intimidate him? Standby for the liberal attacks on him.

7. texan59 says:

Maybe the book should have been titled – “Doody…..in the White House”.

8. ytz4mee says:

Gates has *always* had a full page to himself, right after the malignant midget but before Petraeus and Panetta in the YATZ book of noted douchebags.

That is all.

The US military is a captured organization. Has been for some time.

9. Sharon says:

For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
    For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
    For want of a horse the rider was lost.
    For want of a rider the message was lost.
    For want of a message the battle was lost.
    For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
    And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

10. LetJusticePrevail" says:
  11. annieoakley says:

Sad, just really sad.

12. Greenmirror says:

Just heard last night that many doors of police cars are no longer painted with protect and serve but rather Professional Police. Our forces have already become a Professional Military. Pretty near “I’m just following my orders(and trying not to become a drone strike)” has replaced sworn oaths to the constitution.

13. Pingback: My Article Read (1-8-2014) | My Daily Musing