Saturday Open Thread – January 26th

Tomb of the Unknown ChristmasOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

101 Responses to Saturday Open Thread – January 26th

1. brutalhonesty says:

On my facebook I posted the “what does it matter” meme pic of stephens being dragged and hillary testifying with blood on her hands………and for using a meme to drive this fact home I get called a piece of shit, crazy, get accused of blaming others for my failures, being a dredge to society, a burden on society, oh and ryan berg whos brother got to buy my ford probe for $300 (after i spent 1,200 on it) wished I was dead.
    And my middle brother wonders why I wont vote for democrats….this is why…..all they are is hate.
    The tolerant left my ass.
    Even my democrat politician liberal soon to be step dad cant talk about anything without calling me an idiot and going into the standard alinsky talking points mode and saying “fox news” and “they are racist” and “the rich are stealing the money” (because, you know, they didnt earn it by doing what they do for a living..building it up like steve jobs or the guys from apple).
    I have never seen any one I know post that kind of hate in response to a photo of two guys kissing…..

2. Sharon says:

Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) said he would introduce a full employment act. Conyers would also again introduce a version of the so-called “Medicare-for-all” bill, which would create a single-payer universal healthcare system.

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) committed to introducing a bill, backed prominently by the National Nurses United union, to implement a tax on all financial transactions, the so-called Robin Hood tax.

Ha! Like the one-liner says, “If Patrick Henry thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see it with representation.”

3. stellap says:

This morning’s email -

Are you a Democrat, a Republican, or a Southerner?

Here is a little test that will help you decide.
    The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You’re walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.

Suddenly, a Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner,
    locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at you… You are carrying a Kimber 1911 cal. 45 ACP, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.

What do you do?

Democrat’s Answer:
    • Well, that’s not enough information to answer the question!
    • What is a Kimber 1911 cal. 45 ACP?
    • Does the man look poor or oppressed?
    • Is he really a terrorist? Am I guilty of profiling?
    • Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
    • Could we run away?
    • What does my wife think?
    • What about the kids?
    • Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
    • What does the law say about this situation?
    • Does the pistol have appropriate safety built into it?
    • Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?
    • Is it possible he’d be happy with just killing me?
    • Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
    • If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?
    • Should I call 9-1-1?
    • Why is this street so deserted?
    • We need to raise taxes, have paint & weed day.
    • Can we make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior?
    • I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and try to come to a consensus.
    • This is all so confusing!

Republican’s Answer:

BANG!

Southerner’s Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

Click….. (Sounds of reloading)

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

BANG!

BANG!

BANG!

Click

Daughter: ‘Nice grouping, Daddy!’
    ‘Were those the Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?!

Son: ‘Can I shoot the next one?!’

Wife: ‘You ain’t takin that thing to the Taxidermist!

4. stellap says:

Today’s Mark Steyn:

Hillary lip-synced more than Beyoncé

• WeeWeed says:

( it reminded me what Ben Shapiro said about the immaculation:
      “..Beyonce lip-synched herself doing the National Anthem. Obama lip-synched Saul Alinsky.” )

5. stellap says:

Beautiful And Deadly: Meet The Women Warfighters Of Israel

From a distance of at least 100 meters, Cpl. “S.” and fellow soldiers had dispatched the enemy. Later she’d get an award for her heroism, but she maintains the shot was pretty easy for her. She said what they all say: she was just doing her job.

That job: Infantry Sniper.

• lovemygirl says:

I recall Obama’s staff in Chicago talking about databases of registered voters when I rode the elevator with them. I wasn’t sure what it meant at the time but now…

6. cajunkelly says:

She’s lucky she was diagnosed before 2014. Under obamacare she’d just be given a pain pill, at her age:

7. cajunkelly says:

Now watch the God hating lamestream media go on the attack:

The God haters have already started attacking him in the comment section of this article.

• howie says:

No but he turned out to be a big RINO and prolly knew he would get put out in a primary. Now he can vote against his people for two years.

• Menagerie says:

Proof they read your emails! I kept telling that bastage that he would never get re-elected. He’s even stopped sending me the polite form letter replies. Anyhow, he took my advice and called it quits! Now to get the other Rino in Georgia, Isaakson.

8. cajunkelly says:

AR15s are too hard for a woman to use. :shock:

YET it was just announced that women will be allowed in combat???

These people live in a bubble of hypocrisy and stupidity. She says “a rifle would be more accurate”. WTH does she think an AR15 is?

And ya gotta love pierced organ’s planned slip of the tongue; a woman wrote in saying she wants the right to have an AR15 in case her home is invaded, so she can “murder…errr kill her attacker”.

These people are going to cause my head to explode.

9. stellap says:

Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. posted an audio message on the Sheriff Department’s section of the County’s website on Friday. The same audio ran as a radio ad yesterday.

Clarke urges residents to take a “certified safety course” for firearms after proclaiming that personal safety “is no longer spectator sport” and that he “need(s) you in the game.”

Listen to the spot and react.

10. cajunkelly says:

Warning: This blogger is ‘rough around the edges’ and uses colorful language at times. Please try to move beyond the f bombs and read this moving *true* story.
    Additional warning: be prepared for dusty keyboards

• auscitizenmom says:

Thanks for posting this. And, yes, my keyboard is very dusty. Ha.

• Wirecutter says:

Rough around the edges – that’s the nicest way I’ve heard it put in a long time…..

• cajunkelly says:

(loud knee slappin guffaw) HIYA Wirecutter! How wonderful to see you are hanging out on a limb here!

Sitting here trying to think of something more to say…instead of just sitting here and grinning stupidly… :)
        Oh, I gotta say I *so* love your blog! Through it DH and I found out about Amendment Arms and “The Joshua”. He’s spent hours watching their videos, and has talked extensively with Ryan Croft (the inventor) and Tom Wise (the president).
        DH asked for and received their prospectus…considering investing. We’ve both placed an order as well.
        So, since I always nickname my toys, and since I found out about ‘em through you, maybe I’ll nickame mine “the knuckledragger”. (grin)
        Regarding the rough edges…meh…doesn’t give me a case of vapors….as a Girl Raised in The South I’m accustomed to “spicey”. :wink:

Honored, I am.

11. stellap says:

A friend sent this video to me this morning. I’m still sobbing. What a lovely story about a widow’s devotion, and her long wait to find the story of what happened to her flyer husband on a fateful day in WWII.

12. ctdar says:

Anonymous hacks a big one…attack entitled “the last resort” in retaliation for the recent suicide of Aaron Swartz/Reddit.com :shock:

13. Hullo, dahlings!

The little one wants to plant a garden this spring. I haven’t the foggiest idea where to start. He’s dreaming big…he wants strawberries, carrots, peas, tomatoes, lettuce and blueberries. Oh, and an apple tree. According to my next door neighbor, we have “good” soil for planting (our whole street used to be a farm). Wish me luck!!

• WeeWeed says:

Radishes and green beans for Wee, too – they grow fast and he can witness the progress!!

• stellap says:

When I was a kid, my dad always planted radishes as row markers – you knew right away where to hoe weeds, and where the plants were growing. Green beans produce like the devil – put him in charge of picking them, since they are close to the ground.

First of all, decide where you should put your garden, picking a spot with as much sun as possible. Because of the dog, it would probably be a good idea to have some kind of barrier. Next, you’ll have to prepare the soil – remove grass, if necessary, till the soil etc. Your neighbor can probably give you some advice; if not, your local garden center. You might want to rent a rototiller for that part. Next, plan what you will plant, and when. Peas and lettuce can be planted very early, and they don’t like heat. Tender plants, like tomatoes, go in when frost isn’t a danger any more.

You might want to start seeds in the house, if you have a sunny window, or a grow light. Jack would love to do that, and then you’ll have a start on your garden too. Peas or beans are good choices for that, but you can do anything. Heck, I even started a pink grapefruit tree from a seed!

• ctdar says:

I bought both lemon & lime plants from local nursery which produce well, pretty much an indoor plant in NE tho until height of summer.
          Lemons for lemonade & fish/chicken meals
          Limes for mixed drinks :)

• stellap says:

That’s wonderful! I don’t think I have a spot with enough sun (the grapefruit is pretty stunted), or I would have one too. When my mom lived in Florida in the Winter, I loved picking lemons, oranges and grapefruit right in her yard. It was amazing.

• ctdar says:

Yeah fun how in some areas they grow outside year round. Maybe you could suppliment fruit plants with plant light?
              Kinda fun to watch the process & their flowers before the fruit smell divine. Also have hibiscus in planters that leave out spring to fall & lug them in the winter. Think I finally deterred all the deer that liked to munch them with my trusty bbgun :)

• cajunkelly says:

:) Mom dearly loved grapefruit. While DH and I lived in FL, every time we came home she’d place an order for ‘em. We’d bring home baskets of ‘em, picked from a tree right behind the condo. The lemon, navel orange and grapefruit trees were so prolific you’d see bags of them sitting out by the curb…free for the taking.
              Unfortunately the citrus trees drew fruit rats. :(
              Oh, we had cumquat trees also. Those make *great* marmalade.

• stellap says:

If you don’t want to go to all this trouble, you could start out in big planters, or small raised beds.

• ctdar says:

start with easy: tomatoes, string beans, zuchinnis, blueberry (net bush when produces fruit from birds). The apple tree will take awhile :(
      Lots of miracle grow is helpful too as fertilizer :)

• stellap says:

I haven’t used nets since I “caught” a bird in the net over my strawberries. I managed to free the bird, but we were both traumatized by the experience.

• ctdar says:

Ha, that happened to me to, old house had wire fence in back area and one day I heard a terrible squawking and investigated. Crow got stuck sideways in fence. What to do? So I put on husbands canvas coat, oven mitts, and with son’s hockey stick (don’t tell him) was able to dislodge him. Hockey sticks are very handy….clean leaves out of gutters, reach those tuff spots to dust with rag at end, scoop childs toy out of street drain….

• stellap says:

Yeah, I put on heavy work gloves and safety glasses, and cut the bird out with shears. I don’t know if it lived, but it was able to fly.

• lovemygirl says:

I haven’t tried one yet but the strawberry trees (vertical, multi layered raised bed) looked appealing. Less space and less creep.

• cajunkelly says:

Just don’t attempt corn, unless you’re prepared to plant several rows. They require cross polination to produce. Two rows won’t do it.
      A raised bed is easiest to maintain…less weeding…and you can use perforated black landscaping plastic (can’t remember the name of it) to cut down on weeding.
      Those wind-driven moving owls work well to keep birds away.
      Squash, zuccini and melons are good choices. If you plant okra be prepared to share it with neighbors…that stuff produces like crazy! We’ve had okra plants grow so tall you could see them over our six foot privacy fence. :shock:
      Ok, and cut okra pods while they’re still very young…if you let them grow much over four inches they’re so tough you can’t slice ‘em.

14. czarowniczy says:

ARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!! Back to the concept of repeating past mistakes and expecting different results. I now hear that the US government and DoD are going to send our Special Operations folk to Mexico to school the Mexican military and police on tactics we developed in Iraq and Afghanistan relating to hunting down bad guys in order to make them more proficient in combating the Cartels. To those of you who don’t know we did exactly this in the late 90s, sending SF soldiers to train the elite Mexican army’s Grupo Aeromóvil de Fuerzas Especiales (GAFE) to combat thje growing drug threat there. In about 1999 the Gulf Cartel bought out a group of the GAFE, paying them far more than the government ever could, to become their muscle. Showing once more that a good deed (of sorts) should never go unpunished, the GAFE turncoats took over control of the Gulf Cartel, has been wiping out other Cartels, and has established itself (Las Zetas) in a number of large US cities. Now, to combat Las Zetas, among others armed by Eric Holder – but I digress we’re going back and doing it all over. I’m sure that this time those poorly-paid Mexican SF soldiers trained in out state-of-the-art tactics will remain loyal to the government when as Zetas comes to them and offers them the choice of joining the Cartel for lost and lots of money or getting a bullet in the head. That isn’t even touching on the issue of whom in the Mexican military is still selling arms, ammunition and explosives to the Cartels.

15. ctdar says:

A whole nother vision of the term “on ice”… poor guy :(

• cajunkelly says:

Yep, happened in Kenner, LA. A convenience store near me has a Beer Cave. The girls who stock it wear insulated coveralls while working in there.
      DH’s decidedly IRREVERENT personality is rubbin off on me…causing my reaction to be “well, his body is well preserved for the autopsy”.
      Yep, all DH’s fault. That’s my story and I’m stickin to it. :)

• ctdar says:

Let’s hope Conservatives can come up with a plan to win these democratic seats
      that are opening up and execute it better than the grade school mentality they have showed in recent days.

16. WeeWeed says:

photo ar-151_zpsb7a7bdea.jpg
    :lol: Word.

17. Sharon says:

“Looking back, what I should have done the day after the election was to make it clear the House has passed a bill to extend all of the current tax rates, the House has passed a bill to replace the sequester with cuts in mandatory spending, and the Senate ought to do its work,” Boehner said. “We’re ready, able and willing to work with the Senate as soon as they produce a bill. It should have been what I said. You know, again, hindsight is 20-20.”

No. Mr. Boehner. In your case hindsight is not 20-20: it’s completely useless.

In what world does he (apparently) actually believe that this kind of information/revelation about his complete cluelessness is good PR–even if I thought he was a wonderful leader, this would result in a facepalm.

18. Sharon says:

Arab Spring Update–Egyptian courts sentenced 27 to death in connection with the soccer riots last year: 21 killed yesterday in the riots responding to the sentencing. Ain’t spring grand?

Angry relatives and residents rampaged through an Egyptian port city Saturday in rioting that killed at least 27 people after a judge sentenced nearly two dozen soccer fans to death for involvement in deadly violence after a game last year.

The unrest was the latest in a bout of violence that has left a total of 38 people dead in two days, including 11 killed in clashes between police and protesters marking Friday’s second anniversary of the uprising that overthrew longtime leader Hosni Mubarak.

President Mohammed Morsi canceled a scheduled trip to Ethiopia Saturday and instead met for the first time with top generals as part of the newly formed National Defense Council.

The violence in Port Said erupted after a judge sentenced 21 people to death in connection with the Feb. 1 soccer melee that killed 74 fans of the Cairo-based Al-Ahly team. Executions in Egypt are usually carried out by hanging

How much you wanta bet the “newly formed National Defense Council” is gonna kill some more Egyptians, all on behalf of homeland security?

• stellap says:

A friend of mine worked in Saudi Arabia for ARAMCO back in the 1970′s-1980′s. They often behead people publicly, or did back then.

19. 22tula says:

Weekly Featured Profile – Tim Yeager
    Trevor Loudon – January 25, 2013

“Colonel Gordon Batcheller on ‘Women in Combat’”
    New Zeal – Trevor Loudon – January 25, 2013

Bill Pepin interviews Trevor Loudon – January 24, 2013

20. WeeWeed says:

Rape whistles for wimmin!! :D

photo rapewhistle_zpsdc154889.jpg

21. stellap says:

Damned busy bodies! This is one really, really, good essay!

Liars.

Under no circumstance would these insufferable elites ever look to “pretty up” society through the “shaming” of drug addicts, alcoholics, sexual degenerates, lazy welfare leeches, or any others who loot the treasury and spread much more human misery than nicotine and ice cream. And anyone who suggested such a thing would immediately be branded a bully by the very same elites now testing the waters to bully-by-shame the overweight.

22. cajunkelly says:

Styx is on the Palladia channel tonight;

23. Sharon says:

(The Blaze)—United States Marine Corps Gen. James “Mad Dog” Mattis was notified that he was being replaced as commander of U.S. Central Command not by a phone call from Washington, but by a note passed to him by an aide, according to Foreign Policy’s Thomas E. Ricks.

From Ricks’ report:

… General Mattis was travelling and in a meeting when an aide passed him a note telling him that the Pentagon had announced his replacement as head of Central Command. It was news to him — he hadn’t received a phone call or a heads-up from anyone at the Pentagon or the White House.

24. ctdar says:

Hahahaha just got home from hockey game and was flippin thru the channels and lo & behold guess what I caught the very end of on turner movie classics?? Wait for it……
    Lord of the Flies!!
    :lol:

25. ctdar says:

Judge Jeanine giving her talking points re hillary & her pathetic testimony before congress last Wednesday.
    Without a doubt Hillary Clinton is the worst secretary of state EVER