If It Bleeds It Leads

a-prayer-for-times-like-theseMan is pushed from subway platform on to tracks.

Do you:   a.) help him get up.  Or,

b.) Quick grab your camera so you can take pictures of him as he dies.?

Hint:  You happen to be a photographer for the New York Post

The front page of the New York Post this morning shows a man who was pushed in the path of a train at a Times Square subway station yesterday. The man died.

The Post just happened to have a photographer at the same subway stop at the exact moment when the man — identified as 58-year-old Ki Suk Han, a Queens father and husband — was pushed to his death.

The photog, Umar Abbasi, opted to help Suk Han escape a certain death in a rather unconventional way: by snapping photos as the train was barreling down on him.

Attempts to reach Abbasi for an explanation were unsuccessful, and the Post didn’t immediately respond to our request for comment (we’ll let you know if we hear back). But the paper offers the following (ahem) explanation of Abbasi’s decision to snap photos rather than drop his camera and help lift Han from the tracks in its article published this morning:

Post freelance photographer R. Umar Abbasi — who had been waiting on the platform of the 49th Street station — ran toward the train, repeatedly firing off his flash to warn the operator.

“I just started running, running, hoping that the driver could see my flash,” said Abbasi, whose camera captured chilling shots of Suk’s tragic fight for his life.

The train slowed, but a dazed and bruised Han still wound up hopelessly caught between it and the platform as it came to a halt.

A shaken Abbasi said the train “crushed him like a rag doll.”

As you can see in the Post cover above  [High Def Pic Here], that’s a pretty clear photo for one snapped by someone who supposedly was running frantically to capture the attention of the conductor.

Regardless, the man who pushed Suk Han got away and has not been taken into custody as of this writing.  He’s seen in the photo below.

Just an underground version of the knockout game.   Right bro?

More From The Daily Mail - A passenger who witnessed a man being crushed by a subway train today spoke of his anger at the failure of 18 people on the platform to save him – including the photographer who had time to take chilling pictures of his final moments.

Patrick Gomez, who admitted that he also ‘froze’ at the scene, said it was a ‘real shame’ that no-one had the courage to ‘step up’ and attempt to rescue Ki Suk Han, 58, after he was pushed onto the line at the New York subway station yesterday afternoon.

Gomez, 37, said: ‘People who were on the platform could have pulled him up but they didn’t have the courage. They just didn’t react like that.’

And he reserved his strongest criticism for photographer R. Umar Abbasi, who shot the chilling photograph of Mr Han watching as the subway train barreled towards him in the final moments.

The image appeared on the front page of the New York Post this morning with the headline ‘Doomed’. The 58-year-old can be seen looking at the train with his arms outstretched he tries to heave himself out of its path.

Mr Gomez spoke for millions who expressed their outrage today at the commuters on the Times Square platform who witnessed the man being pushed in front of the train but did not try to pull him to safety.

About these ads
This entry was posted in media bias, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to If It Bleeds It Leads

1. LoudaJew says:

the truth of the matter is we all know George would have helped. the question is what would Trayvon would have done. we’ll see more about his character when his school records come out. Trayvon supporters would definitely come up with some emotional argument, but the truth is they would mind their own business, and would have expected someone ELSE to help. that’s their mentality. Trayvon supporters are selfish greedy self centered people who care about themselves and their agenda. They could not understand what it means to help neighbors out.

2. jordan2222 says:

Tough decision? Has the instinct to save a fellow human being been bred out of some folks?

• Sharon says:

I doubt it was a tough decision at all, unfortunately. It was an easy one. One time when I was in my 40′s,

I did a U-turn on Palmdale Blvd as I was on my way to work at Lockheed, in order to interfere in the episode I saw (at 6:30 in the morning) of a man beating the hell out of his wife in an empty lot. He had her down on the ground, and was kicking her in the face and in the gut with his big work boots. Blood all over. Guns came into the equation a few minutes later. No one but me stopped to assist.

Yes, I think I saved her life or life-threatening injuries. Sheriff’s deputies and ambulance attendances said I did. No, it was not safe. Yes, I was willing to testify. Yes, she dropped the charges against him (no longer an option, I don’t think, even in CA?). Blood inside my car came out pretty good.

So has the instinct to save a fellow human being been bred out of me? Nope. Out of some folks? Yes.

• sundance says:

(((( The Crowd Roars With Approval )))) well, I hope they do.

Yes. What sharon said. Humanity, the ability to believe in human persons and see value in life, and understand the difference between good and bad, is not a breeding issue.

It is a choice. A personal choice.

Period.

3. cajunkelly says:

A female doctor said she tried to assist him after he was crushed, but couldn’t give CPR because he wasn’t “in the right position” and was too heavy to lift.

When I read this yesterday, my thought was; was he too heavy to yank up off that track by, say, four men? BEFORE the train crushed him?

Sadly, his wife said he and sure had a pretty heated argument before he left. There was also mention that he was inebriated when he left. That’s a hard memory that will stay with her for a lifetime.

• cajunkelly says:

he and she*

• ytz4mee says:

Apparently the suspect had been harassing a lot of people on the platform before this happened. My understanding based on local reports is most people moved away instinctively, so maybe there weren’t a lot of people within “grabbing” distance … which would have been the opposite of the normal situation on the platform .. people crowd the edge of the platform waiting for the train to arrive. A sad situation, all round.

And yes, there are a lot of people who would have helped. This explanation makes more sense to me. It is never wise to engage people who appear to be mentally unbalanced – they can be very dangerous – unfortunately, this incident is another example.

4. WeeWeed says:

**whistling past the graveyard, here** is it just me or is there a familiar pattern-that-pc-doesn’t-allow-us-to-talk-about…….you know, disgruntled pilot wannabees with straight “A” grades…..

5. Knuckledraggingwino says:

If Obama had the testicles ton have a bastard son, he would look like the perp.

But hey, the perp didn’t have a gun so he was an unarmed victim.

Shooting him in self defense would have been murder.

6. dmoseylou says:

38 People witnessed this woman’s murder. Not One Person Helped Her. Not One.
    Chapter 6
    “Why would civilized people turn away from another human being in dire need of assistance?[...]
    In essence, the 38 witnesses felt no responsibility to act because there were so many witnesses. Each one felt that the other witness would do something.”

The Kitty Genovese Murder

7. Sharon says:

I’m just a provincial stoopid, I suppose, but as far as I can think about potential reasons, there is NOTHING that would induce me to walk down a concrete stairway, going under the ground, and standing in a concrete tunnel, waiting to get on a train that would smash me up against others, and head off into a tunnel miles long….nothing is worth that.

The closest I have ever come to that nightmare is the underground cars that are necessary at the Denver airport, where you leave the plane where you’ve landed, go “downstairs” to get in one of these cars, and 90 seconds later–poof!–you come at a different place. After my first experience of that, I got to a view point, looked out over the runways and put together what exactly I had had to do to “get there….” that’s as much as I want to deal with in that scene. New York subways? Ain’t gonna happen! 8O

• ytz4mee says:

I don’t like the NY subways, and use them as little as possible, and *definitely* not in rush hour. When I do, I stand near the stairs and not at the end of the platform, and move forward as the train enters the station.

There are a lot of mentally unbalanced people that utilize the subways. In the summer, they ride the subway cars all day for the air conditioning.

8. ctdar says:

Looks like Police have been questioning a suspect since this afternoon

9. ytz4mee says:

FWIW, the Post was on street corners all over Manhattan today hawking this. No one was buying, they just kept walking. Absolutely horrific, and to think that the Post thought this would be a big “seller”. After 9-11, most New Yorkers I know are highly sensitized to this kind of gut wrenching violence.

• sundance says:

My first reaction was it’s a spoof. I seriously thought it was an Onion story and went around verifying it first. I still cannot believe the post would publish that cover. Flippin sickos…. that type of thinking is so far away from normal, I just have a hard time even contemplating it…. And how many layers of approval do those covers go through?

Seriously?

• ytz4mee says:

Well, it backfired on them tremendously. The blowback has been overwhelming. Maybe they just assume that everyone is desensitized to human life? They were mistaken.

• Sharon says:

The feedback is interesting…my assumption would not be that trying to help him would be successful….but that photo clearly documents that nobody was TRYING. No one was even CLOSE–no one tried.

• ytz4mee says:

Sharon: You have to put it into context. There are loads of mentally unbalanced ex-psychiatric patients roaming the streets and the subways. These people are dangerous, and you never know what they may be on drug-wise. SM has family on the NYPD and a good friend on the police force in the DC burbs, and they all have had to deal with dangerous calls with people high on PCP and other dangerous mind-altering drugs. In these cases, the PD report they have “super human” strength, and even tazering them has no effect.

I know it sounds like an excuse, but you have to understand the environment. I have made it very clear to my daughter she is to avoid these people at all costs: no eye contact and to literally cross the street to avoid them.

I will be honest. If this was in DC, I would have tried to help. At the station where this took place, known to be popular with psychiatric cases, with him threatening others as has been reported, I would have moved away from the edge of the platform as quickly as possible.

• ytz4mee says:

Add: do you remember the “face eating” crazy in Miami, and then another “cannibal” case? This is the level of unbalanced crazy I’m talking about.

• Sharon says:

Understood…. I guess I’m reacting to an assumption that the fact that no one tried means no one cared….. and I spent enough time walking the streets in Los Angeles (no, not THAT way!! ….. ) walking to work at 6th and Broadway in the 60′s….and though it was a much safer time….we certainly knew to never walk near MacArthur park even then, for the reasons you describe. Although at that time it probably wouldn’t have been PCP.

• I’m glad they ran it. The pushback is a message to them and the decision to run the photo is a wake up call to America. See what “they” think that “we” think is acceptable?

10. froggielegs says:

I can not sit in judgement of any of those people who were there. I use to take the subway all the time and the thought of someone down in the tracks and trying to pull them up, I know I would never be able to do it and then what if they accidentally pulled you in with them? You would have to be able to lift their entire body weight up. Also, people moved far away from them prior to him being thrown onto the tracks. By the time they would of got to him before the train hit is most likely zero.

As for the NY Post article and picture, wrong on so many levels!

• Every time I take the train I stay as far away from the track as possible. And I have often wondered what I would do if I came upon someone being harmed by someone else. TBH, I don’t know…I don’t think anyone knows until confronted with it.

• ytz4mee says:

Yes. And it is grating to hear someone castigate the others on the platform for not attempting to rescue him, when HE didn’t either. From other accounts, it was a dangerous situation with a dangerous individual threatening others as well.

Unfortunately, that is part and parcel of the Prog mentality. “Somebody” should “do something”, never thinking that THEY are that “somebody”.

Add: I would have moved out of range as quickly as possible as well, to avoid being the next victim, so I don’t fault anyone on that platform for doing what they did. It’s easy to be a critic in hindsight.

11. lovemygirl says:

This reminds me of a story I once read that I can never erase from my mind. Same City, same subway. In this case a man fell but people did try. Unfortunately he was pinned between the train and platform still alive. His body was twisted below the waist and the pressure of the car against the platform was keeping him alive temporarily. They called the specialists, a Priest, his wife but knew when they moved the train he would die. They said their good byes and he died as they moved the train.

12. 22tula says:

From the looks of the photo, Ki Suk Han, had another way of escape if he just went the other way.
    Maybe he didn’t have enough time to think, (dazed), or he thought that someone would help pull him out. There was no wall beyond the third rail so he could have jumped over the third rail, and moved to the space between the ongoing & oncoming trains. Easier said than done. I hate these “what if” stories. Remember, always be aware of your surroundings, and never, ever use the subway bathrooms in NYC, with the exception of Penn Station & Grand Central Station,(they have attendants working in the restrooms).

What the city can and should do,(don’t hold your breath), is this: Below each station platform install small 3-4 ft., nonconductive wooden ladders. Depending on the size of the station, approx. 15 ladders, spaced apart, per station side, secured inside a niche created on the side of the tunnel wall,(below the ledge), and place color markers at the station ledge, to show where each ladder is located. That way, if the potential victim is not close to one of the ladders, a “Good Samaritan,” can reach down for the ladder and give it to the victim. Capisce? When the ladder is released it will trip the alarm,(to notify the train driver & prevent thieves from stealing the ladders), and if possible will automatically slow down the oncoming train.

In the meantime subway riders can make their own portable wooden backpack type ladders.

I like the second ladder – the single rail ladder. Paint it green and it’s a Christmas Tree. It’s a one time use ladder anyway, right? After the train hits it, what’s left? So it doesn’t matter if it is perfect.

13. Wow.
    Another unarmed black male in a hoodie.
    Go figure.

14. 1harpazo says:

Just a couple of things: I don’t know the time frame, like how long Mr. Han had been on the track prior to the train’s arrival. Judging from the picture, the train was maybe 20 yards from the victim. It doesn’t take but a few seconds to close that gap so the witnesses had only a few seconds to react. I bet they probably expected the motorman to see the victim and stop his train.
    From the motorman’s perspective, he’s probably coming from a dark tunnel into the lights of the station, his eyes adjusting, he has to see and comprehend the situation and then react by placing his train into “Emergency” (using all the braking force available) to stop as quickly possible. The photographer said that he used his flash several times. That is more of a distraction to the motorman than a warning. He looks at the flashes which makes him take his eyes off the track ahead thus briefly not seeing the man on the track.
    By the way, there are two victims in this sad and unfortunate calamity. The motorman is a victim also because he is helpless to avoid the death of Mr. Han. He not only sees the imminent collision of his train with Mr. Han, but he also hears and feels the sickening thud of the impact. While not at fault, he must deal with the knowledge that a man was killed.