Hurricane Laura has increased in strength to 150 MPH sustained winds as it closes in on the coastline communities near the Texas-Louisiana border.  Southwestern Louisiana will see the most significant storm surge.  This is a very dangerous storm. All hurricanes are unnerving, but the nighttime storms arriving in darkness are some of the most unsettling.

[National Hurricane Center] – At 700 PM CDT (0000 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Laura was located near latitude 28.4 North, longitude 92.9 West. Laura is moving toward the north-northwest near 15 mph (24 km/h). A turn toward the north is expected overnight, and a northward motion should continue on Thursday.

A northeastward to east-northeastward motion is expected Thursday night and Friday. On the forecast track, Laura will approach the upper Texas and southwest Louisiana coasts this evening and move inland within that area tonight. The center of Laura is forecast to move over northwestern Louisiana tomorrow, across Arkansas Thursday night, and over the mid-Mississippi Valley on Friday.

Reports from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that the maximum sustained winds have increased to near 150 mph (240 km/h) with higher gusts. Laura is an extremely dangerous category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Some additional strengthening is possible tonight before Laura reaches the northwest Gulf coast overnight. Rapid weakening is expected after Laura moves inland. (More)

A category-4 storm can and will erase structures, buildings and landscape. This storm is very similar to Hurricane Charley which impacted the SW coast of Florida in 2004; and Hurricane Michael which hit the panhandle in 2018. The coastal topography, driven by storm surge, will likely change in the 60 mile wide area of immediate impact.

Total infrastructure failure should be anticipated and it will take weeks for restoration. The coastal communities are the most vulnerable; however, the inland impact of the storm will continue unimpeded until the eye-wall crosses onto land.

That means communities inland for 50 miles will likely see consistent 100+ MPH winds for several hours. That scale of sustained wind energy will snap power poles and reinforced concrete.

As the backside of the storm then reverses the energy direction, any already compromised structures will not withstand the additional pressure. In many cases the backside of the storm is worse than the front. If you are inland, prepare yourself for a long duration of extensive wind damage followed by an extended power outage.

A hurricane wind is a constant and pure rage of wind that doesn’t ebb and flow like normal wind and storms. Hurricane wind is heavy, it starts, builds and stays; sometimes for hours. Relentless, it just won’t let up. And then, depending on Laura’s irrelevant opinion toward your insignificant presence, it will stop. Judging by the forward speed the hurricane force wind will likely last around 2 hours before it stops.

Then silence.  No birds. No frogs. No crickets. No sound.

Nature goes mute.  It’s weird.

We have no idea how much ambient noise is around us, until it stops.

Due to the speed of the storm there will be convoys coming to construct a pre-planned electricity grid recovery process even before sunrise tomorrow.  Convoys from every city, town and state from the east-coast to the mid-west.  A glorious melding of dirty fingernails all arriving for the meet-up.   Depending on your proximity to the bigger picture objectives at hand, you will cherish their arrival.

But first, there will be an assessment.  The convoys will stage at pre-determined locations using radios for communication. Most cell phone services will likely be knocked out.  Recovery teams will begin a street-by-street review; everything needs to be evaluated prior to thinking about beginning to rebuild a grid.  Your patience within this process is needed; heck, it ain’t like you’ve got a choice in the matter…. so just stay positive.

Meanwhile, starting tomorrow you might walk outside and find yourself a stranger in your neighborhood.

It will all be cattywampus.

Trees gone, signs gone, crap everywhere, if you don’t need to travel, DON’T.

I mean CRAP e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e.

Stay away from power-lines.

Try to stay within your immediate neighborhood for the first 36-48 hours.  Keep the roadways and main arteries clear for recovery workers, power companies and fuel trucks.

Be entirely prepared to be lost in your own neighborhood and town for days, weeks, and even months.  Unknown to you – your subconscious mind is like a human GPS mapping system.  When that raging Laura takes away the subconscious landmarks I guarantee you – you are gonna get lost, make wrong turns, miss the exit etc.

It’s kinda funny and weird at the same time.

Your brain is wired to turn left at the big oak next to the Church, and the road to your house is likely two streets past the 7-11 or Circle-k. You don’t even notice that’s how you travel around town; that’s just your brain working – it is what it is.

Well, now the big oak is gone; so too is the Circle-K and 7-11 signs.  Like I said, everything is cattywampus.  Your brain-memory will need to reboot and rewire.  In the interim, you’re gonna get lost… don’t get frustrated.

No street signs. Likely no stop signs.  No traffic lights.

Remember, when it is safe to drive, every single intersection must be treated like a four-way stop…. and YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION.  Even the major intersections.

You’ll need to override your brain tendency to use memory in transit.  You’ll need to pay close attention and watch for those who ain’t paying close attention.  Travel sparingly, it’s just safer.

Check on your-self first, then your neighbors. It don’t matter if you’ve never said a word to the guy in the blue house before.  It ain’t normalville now.

As soon as it is safe to do so, make an evaluation of your location.  If everything is ok for you and your family, break out of your box and check on the house down the street. In the aftermath of a storm there’s no class structure.  Without power, the big fancy house on the corner with a pool is just a bigger mess.  Everyone is equally a mess.

The first responders in your neighborhood are YOU.

You, the wife/husband, your family, Mrs. Wilson next door; Joe down the street; Bob’s twin boys and the gal with the red car are all in this together.  If you don’t ordinarily cotton to toxic masculinity you will worship it in the aftermath of a hurricane.  Git-r-done lives there.

Don’t stand around griping with a 40′ tree blocking the main road to your neighborhood.  Figure out who’s got chainsaws, who knows how to correctly use them, and set about safely clearing the road.  If every neighborhood starts clearing their own roadways, the recovery crews can then move in for the details.

Stage one focuses on major arteries… then secondary… then neighborhood etc.  It’s a process.  Oh, and don’t get mad if your fancy mailbox is ploughed-over by a focused front end loader who is on a priority mission to clear a path.  Just deal with it.  Those same front-end loaders will also be removing feet of sand from coastal roads.  Don’t go sightseeing… stay in your neighborhood.

For the first 36-48 hours, please try to stay close to home, in your neighborhood.  Another reason to stay close to home is the sketchy people who can sometimes surface, looters etc. Staying close to home and having contact with your neighbors is just reasonable and safer.

Phase-1 recovery is necessarily, well, scruffy…. we’re just moving and managing the mess; not trying to clean it up yet.  It’ll be ok.  There are going to be roofing nails everywhere, and you will likely get multiple flat tires in the weeks after the hurricane.

After this storm half of the people living near coastal southwestern LA are going to fit into two categories, two types of people: (1) those with a new roof; or (2) those with a blue roof (tarp).

Keep a joyous heart filled with thankfulness; and if you can’t muster it, then just pretend. Don’t be a jerk.  You will be surrounded by jerks….  elevate yourself.  If you need to do a few minutes of cussing, take a walk.  Keep your wits about you and stay calm.

Now, when the recovery teams arrive…. If you are on the road and there’s a convoy of utility trucks on the road, pull over.  Treat power trucks and tanker trucks like ambulances and emergency vehicles.  Pull over, give them a clear road and let them pass.

When everyone gets to work, if you see a line-man, pole-digger or crew say thanks.  Just simple “thanks”.  Wave at them and give them a thumbs-up. No need to get unnecessarily familiar, a simple: “thank you for your help” will suffice.  You know, ordinary people skills.

Many of these smaller crews will be sleeping in cots, or in their trucks while they are working never-ending shifts.  Some will be staging at evacuation shelters, likely schools and such.  The need to shelter people and recovery crews might also delay the re-opening of schools.

Once you eventually start getting power back, if you see a crew in a restaurant, same thing applies… “thanks guys”.

Same goes for the tanker truckers. The convenience stores with gas pumps are part of the priority network.  Those will get power before other locales without power.  Fuel outlets are a priority.  Fuel is the lifeblood of recovery. Hospitals, first responders, emergency facilities, fuel outlets, then comes commercial and residential.

Remember, this is important – YOU are the first responder for your neighborhood.  Don’t quit.  Recovery is a process.  Depending on the scale of the impact zone, the process can take days, weeks and even months.

Take care of your family first; then friends and neighbors, and generally make a conscious decision to be a part of any needed solution.

Pray together and be strong together.  It might sound goofy to some, but don’t be bashful about being openly thankful in prayer.

It will be ok.

It might be a massive pain in the a**, but in the end, it’ll be ok.

Keep a good thought.

It will be OK.  Promise.

This entry was posted in FEMA, Hurricane Laura, Uncategorized, USA, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

106 Responses to Hurricane Laura Update – Strong Category-4 Storm, 150 MPH Winds – Landfall Tonight Texas-Louisiana Coastal Region..

1. jumpinjarhead says:

Interesting they are using the term “unsurvivable” as the adjective for the storm surge. Have not heard that term used before.

I hope those in danger get out and take their pets with them. I still have not recovered emotionally from the many animals left by their owners in Katrina that we worked as volunteers to save. Absolutely horrible.

• mr.piddles says:

“Interesting they are using the term “unsurvivable””

I heard that on the radio earlier… combined with “20-foot”. Serious business.

• A2 says:

“ The National Weather Service meteorologist Benjamin Schott told a news conference: “The word ‘unsurvivable’ is not one that we like to use, and it’s one that I’ve never used before.”

He added: “To think that there would be a wall of water over two stories high coming on shore is very difficult for most to conceive, but that is what is going to happen.”

Be safe🙏

• Dabigragu says:

The Guardian:
        “The country is at a crossroads. Science is in a battle with conjecture and instinct to determine policy in the middle of a pandemic. At the same time, the US is reckoning with centuries of racial injustice – as the White House stokes division along racial lines.”

What?

• snarkybeach says:

I think they used that to scare people into leaving New Orleans. More lives would’ve been saved from Katrina if people had gone north. My town had an evacuation center that was half empty.

• petszmom says:

Good point. Please donate, foster, or volunteer at the shelters. I gave a donation to Austin Pets Alive who is going round the clock. They need everything. Thanks for helping!

• jumpinjarhead says:

Bless you! The animals are too often just forgotten. Far too many people refuse to make plans ahead of time for them. The animals always pay the price for humans.

• starfcker says:

During Katrina animals were not allowed in any shelters, or to be transported on any government boat, helicopter, or vehicle. The horror of that situation has caused the policy to be modified. People can take their pets with them now when they get rescued.

• jumpinjarhead says:

I tried to help in that horror. As one (too) intimately involved in animal rescue and cruelty cases, My sad experience continues to be that, even with some shelters taking pets, a very great number are still left behind, some just chained outside, by idiots. People continue to disappoint me greatly, animals not so much.

• JJ, I also took care of many, many of those pets. I wasn’t part of the rescue effort, but took in and tended to them once they were rescued. It was very sad. I still have a, now, very old girl. I stayed put for this storm…….to take care of animals.

• jumpinjarhead says:

Bless you. You know of what I speak. We took in 6 ourselves, deemed unadoptable as a result of the trauma they suffered, and they had a loving home while they were with us. Sadly, they have all passed on now. I look forward to seeing them all again.

• Rosemary B says:

❤️❤️❤️ 😇you are an angel. How wonderful.

• jumpinjarhead says:

Thank you. I am certainly no angel but I am a Christian who has been called to that ministry. Given some other battles I fight daily, I am probably one of the last people who should be involved in this usually very sad ministry but every time I get “the email” I literally hear this in my mind:

“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” – Isaiah 6:8

I do not in any way equate myself with the prophets of old and realize this passage is in another context, but the principle is the same. It is just another grim truth that very few people are willing to try to alleviate suffering if it poses any inconvenience to their “happy lifestyles.”

• Annie says:

any that come in contact with you are truly blessed….sniff, sniff..I think I have something in my eye..since I am old and can’t get around well..all I can do is throw money at all kinds of animal rescues…started years ago with horses..since they were my first..pets..now I do everything..I must get 50-75 pieces of mail each week from rescue groups..but I don’t
              mind.. and add to those military charities..close to my heart..ahem..after all, I was Military Ball Queen at The Ohio State University…back in the dark ages!!!!!!!!!!.

• Beautiful. I took 4 dogs and one cat. The dogs are waiting for me someday. The cat is still with me.

• jumpinjarhead says:

It is a blessing to have them and heartbreaking to say goodbye for now. I have been through it far too much. We still have a cat who thinks he is a dog from that sad chapter.

• RyderLee says:

Psalm 50:10-11 “For every beast of the forest is mine, the cattle on a thousand hills. I know all the birds of the hills, and all that moves in the field is mine .”

Jumpin and BamBam and All Who Care for
              Our Lord’s Beasts , Big and Small , Thank You 😊🙏😇

• Rotor says:

I’ve never seen “unsurvivable” either. (although a 20′ storm surge might well be unsurvivable) NWS/NHC like to play with words. ie Lightning Storms for Thunder Storms. Thunder not being scary enough.

• Jim Riley says:

At the time of Ike (2008) a local NWS forecast said something like “IT WOULD CAUSE CERTAIN DEATH” (not their emphasis but NWS bulletins are in caps from the teletype days).

The NWS probably decided to be a little less graphic, and chose “unsurvivable”. It is not a word heard too often. Hopefully, people will think a second about what it means, and get the message.

It is so incredibly flat in that area that the storm surge could go 30 miles inland.

• bayoukiki says:

And he was absolutely wrong. Water was a total nonfactor

2. mr.piddles says:

Hey all you fine folks in the path of danger and destruction down there in LA and TX… prayers for you from up here in the Boston area. Stay safe, and stay strong. :^)

3. gensensibility says:

Zero wind in The Woodlands, TX at this hour. Watching and waiting.

• My dog started to howl and later on barking…Its just 2 of us there…she feels something…

• gensensibility says:

Barometer: 29.24 inHg at 8:47pm. It was 29.34 at 10am.

• gensensibility says:

29.17 at 9:48

• twohartsintx says:

I have lived in Texas near Houston most of my life. I remember as a child in the early 70s how my mom was able to figure out exactly where the hurricane would make landfall because the weatherman would always post the barometric pressure, and if it was moving up or down for most towns on the coast. A hurricane will always go where the pressure is the lowest, like a magnet. Nowadays, they never post that information. We are just supposed to be amazed at all of their computer models that suggest so many possibilities that they are useless.
        I really wish they would go old school and post the barometric pressure readings.

• gensensibility says:

Still 29.17 at 10:48

• twohartsintx says:

Quite a bit of wind in Pasadena (southeast side of Houston) at 10pm. Son’s fiance and her little girl evacuated from the Beaumont area to our place yesterday. We don’t expect to experience much here, my future daughter-in-law is a bit stressed. Hurricane Harvey caused her house to be completely under water. So she doesn’t know what she will go home to. But praising God, we are all in a safe place currently and sitting tight.

• mac says:

I went through Hurricane Carla in 1962 as a boy. Ever since, every time I looked at the brown, ominous Gulf of Mexico from Galveston I had a strong feeling of waiting menace. I left Galveston in 1987 and have been back only one or two days in all this time. Every time since, when I saw that Galveston was menaced by a hurricane, I have been grateful for my decision to leave. That Gulf of Mexico wants Galveston back, and sooner or later, it’s going to take it. May God have mercy on the people on the Gulf Coast as they endure this storm.

4. Auntie Anxiety says:

What do you say to a man who gives his time and knowledge to keep us informed? “Thank you” is not nearly enough; but Thank You Sundance, for everything you do.

5. A2 says:

Readers may find this article of interest By Kam-Biu Liu on research into Hurricanes on the Gulf coast and also Hong Kong and the Pacific. We call them Typhoons and I’ve been through almost a hundred from the monsters (Cat 5) to the little demons.

Much information on the Gulf coastal areas in the Us.

Uncovering Prehistoric Hurricane Activity

“ As a resident of hurricane-prone Louisiana, I was not particularly surprised as I watched the fence in my backyard being blown down when Katrina made landfall near New Orleans on August 29, 2005. (It was the second time this had happened in 13 years, my first fence having been toppled during Hurricane Andrew in 1992.) The wind speed in Baton Rouge, where I lived, was actually not that high, equivalent to that of a Category-1 hurricane……

The rest is fascinating.

Enjoy. And keep 🙏🙏

• mayflowerchild says:

Interesting. But not a quick-read !

• Daniel M. Camac says:

A2, Wow! I’m only halfway through reading the article but just wanted to say thanks for posting it. Being a former scientist (Structural Biology>MacroMolecular Crystallography) and a nature lover with reverent respect for nature’s power, this article really grabbed my attention. Well written with graphs, data, etc. interspersed to compliment the hypotheses and not overshadow them.

Going back to finish reading and save to show others who I know will also enjoy it.

6. Libertybella says:

Posting again from prior thread…if ever there was an inanimate object that deserved respect it is the Cameron Parish courthouse.
    apologies for the length of the post

I remember watching helplessly the satellite images of Hurricane Rita as she bore down on my hometown of Cameron Louisiana. I knew I was witnessing complete destruction of my childhood home, my grandparents’ home, the school I attended as a child, the church, and all the important landmarks of my childhood.

In the early morning hours I remember posting on some blog that if I could just see the courthouse still standing in the morning I would know that eventually everything would be alright.

I grew up just blocks from the courthouse, that iconic symbol of Cameron. A solid 3 story monolith of concrete and glass situated just a mile or so from the wide open Gulf.of Mexico..like a Mayan temple rising up from the coastal marsh..standing firm against all threats from the sea.

That courthouse provided refuge to my family in Hurricane Audrey in 1957…it saved their lives.

Now once again, eerily at about the same time of the late evening as Rita and Audrey, Laura will blaze her destructive trail right through Cameron.

And once again I feel helpless and sad…and am again hoping to see the courthouse still standing tomorrow morning..a beacon of refuge still.

• Dad's son says:

You know – I actually was having the same thoughts about the Cameron Parish courthouse. It was about the only thing left standing – in 1957 (my uncle and his co-workers were rescuing families out of trees) – and then again in 2005.

It really is the only continuity …. like a rock in the sea, when everything else is gone. Now my heart hurts to think that it looks like the town of Cameron will be washed away for a third time… leaving little but the old courthouse – and the stubborn spirits of the people who do not know and will never understand surrender.

Thinking of all y’all tonight…. X

• Libertybella says:

After Rita my mom was watching the fly over of Cameron and they couldnt find the courthouse..thats when she broke down for the first time.

That courthouse has got to stand! (and hoping also a few of the old oak trees).

• huecowacko says:

Hurricane Audrey, 1957, over 400 dead, and this one looks to be hitting same area; bet there’s no one left on those production platforms off Cameron.

• Libertybella says:

Cameron is entirely empty. Not even any emergency personnel holed up at the courthouse..all evacuated..power went out a couple of hours ago,

• Libertybella says:

STOP THE PRESSES! My niece just told me that the weather channel is reporting that 150 people stayed in Cameron. They must be referring to the parish and not the coastal town…even still Hackberry and Grand Lake are going to be in real trouble too.

• littlequilterkitty says:

Libertybella, please keep us posted on this Courthouse. If someone has a photo of it, that would be great. What an interesting story. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone else affected by this event.

• Libertybella says:

I will. And i found a picture and will try to upload it.

• Libertybella says:

I don’t know how to upload this pic. If someone can I would appreciate it.

But this is it painted white (not the yellow color from my childhood) and before a million + dollar remodel and restoration after Rita.

I used to jump off those big concrete ‘arms’ bordering the front stairs as a child. It was a feat of daring and courage…and I did it in bare feet !

• Libertybella, grew up in Carlyss . Spent weekends fishing and playing…..
      Hackberry, Cameron and Holly Beach. Fun times.

Hope the courthouse is still standing….
      And the home I grew up in.

• Libertybella says:

ah yes…Holly Beach..The Cajun Riviera 😊

• regitiger says:

pooyie holly beach

man walks into a bar
          orders a corona and two hurricanes

bartenders says

that’ll be $20.20

• Libertybella says:

love it! Will be sharing that one with my refugee family members to lift their spirits..thank u !

• regitiger says:

hurricane?

the fishing has been fantastic.

they are just flying into the boat.

I’ll see myself out now….on second thought..

we should name hurricanes with made up nonsensical names. It’s just not pleasant encountering a live human being with the same name as the event that created such mayhem.

iniki….that worked..its literally a word that describes the actual experience of a hurricane.

iniki…horrible terrible strong wind…also local island slang for the worst kind of fart anyone has ever experienced or had to deal with…a room clearing “wind”.

I propose naming hurricanes after made fictional characters…

I’m calling this one..legitimate democratic candidate. (LDC2020)

destructive…that no one asked for.

7. ip siscr says:

Lord as You know and as You will, have mercy on us. And may Your Holy Mother, Our Lady, Queen of Heaven and Earth, and Mistress of the weather, mitigate the storm.

8. shaupeen says:

Great words, great picture.

Again.

Thank you Sundance.

9. Margot says:

Went out for something to eat this evening (North Central Florida) and there was a bunch of utility trucks, many with cherry pickers and blinking lights pulled over to both sides of a road at an intersection. At first I was puzzled because there’s no rough weather forecast around these parts, and then I realized it was a staging area for some of the utility crews in this area to watch and wait until the storm passed through, and then they would hit the road as fast as they could to get to the hurricane affected areas. I wish them Godspeed on their way.

10. CC says:

Lifting all, in the storm’s path, lifting up to the Lord in prayer….!

And remember Treepers, “Live Your Best Life” when recovery starts….

11. samwise163 says:

That was just excellent Sundance!

12. Rotor says:

“Remember, when it is safe to drive, every single intersection must be treated like a four-way stop….”

And he means every single intersection. This has always been the most impressive thing to me.
    How everybody adjusts to these new rules and gets on with their business. I’ve never heard angry words or blaring horns, people just get it done. “Well maybe that guy was ahead of me, better things to worry about anyway.”

It’s amazing to see the bad bring out the good.

13. Outerlimitsfan says:

Shame the wind shear that destroyed Marco is largely gone. It’s actually increasing some now over Laura but way too late to be of much help. We needed that wind shear 12 hours ago. Perhaps it will help it weaken a bit more quickly over land though.

Thoughts are with everyone impacted by this storm.

14. DeWalt says:

Saw a news video showing evac busses half empty because of covid rules. Insane

• leavemygunsalone says:

We need to do something about the Covid “rules”. The insanity is just getting to be too insane. My car broke down on a rural highway in the middle of nowhere, and AAA refused to give me a ride home along w/the tow of my car due to Covid. In the past it has never been an issue. The driver said he would lose his license. I begged, pleaded, I had a stupid mask w/me. They were going to leave me along side the road. Long story short, a guy w/a tow truck on the way home from work saw my car stranded, asked if I need a tow. He got me, my dog, and my car home safely, FREE of CHARGE. Truly, it was God’s Towing Angel. I *spit* on AAA.

So, they don’t care if you die from the storm, or are stranded in a ditch in the pitch of night, just follow their stinking rules. Enough already.

• Rudolph says:

I can no longer recommend AAA either as a tow service. We had two calls in the last year, both with nearly a 4 hour wait. The service was abysmal. I even argued with the dispatcher. I requested a tow, and she proceeded to ask me all sorts of questions to “triage” my call. Instead of sending a tow truck out the first time as I requested, she sent out a tech. I was pissed. No one works on my car without my husband looking at it first. I also knew it couldn’t be fixed on the side of the road, it had to be towed home. They ask you if you are safe on the side of the road, and then take 4 hours to get to you

• leavemygunsalone says:

Infuriating.

I called my insurance and switched to their roadside program. I doubt they will be any better, since everything is Covid, but I have to try. It is a shame because back in the day AAA was really good.

15. Texian says:

I see she’s storming through West Cameron South Addition.. at night..

..been there.. done that..

16. regitiger says:

NextRad (naked), KLCH

probably the most reliable…and so far not a huge amount of traffic.

overlap has more local context than the satellite imagery.

probably stay up and avail until it goes down, or local power goes down…

17. Kent says:

well….I bugged out…and I’ve seen a few hurricanes and storms…3 ft above sea level and 10 or so miles from probable (at the time) landfall is not a favorable situation…turns out my fave weather website….windy dot com…has moved their prediction to a Cameron LA landfall from a Johnson Bayou LA landfall…this is very good for me…not so much so for others…

Prayers for my neighbors both next door and 65 miles away….it’s gonna be a very rough night and next few months for some of our fellow citizens…

Our seawall held against Rita and Ike….may it hold against Laura….(Amen)…..

18. borndwebb says:

Strongest wording I’ve ever heard (from a poster at a Weather board actively following this TC.)

(Key Messages:

1. Unsurvivable storm surge with large and destructive waves will
    cause catastrophic damage from Sea Rim State Park, Texas, to
    Intracoastal City, Louisiana, including Calcasieu and Sabine Lakes.
    This surge could penetrate up to 40 miles inland from the immediate
    coastline, and flood waters will not fully recede for several days
    after the storm.)

Almost onshore maybe 150 tops.

Calcasieu Pass weather St.

Some people have refused to leave the area with a 20ft surge coming.

19. Rileytrips says:

My best friend from high school, her husband and her college aged daughter are in Beaumont tonight. They wouldn’t evacuate because of their elderly widowed neighbor next door, who was terrified to go to a shelter with Chinaflu in the world. They have generators, water, food and pet food. Will pray for them tonight.

• Kent says:

…i live in port arthur….beaumont is in a much better situation since landfall moved east…again…prayers for those affected to the east of us…it was coming here….love to you all………..from a motel room in Humble Tx

20. bluedevil93 says:

God Bless All. Lived through many in NC and the Gulf Coast. I’m sure my buddy Darryl I served with is prepared down in La. Hope anyone in harms way down there follows sage advise and is out of the way and safe too.

21. bluenova1971 says:

Sundance includes my local (BHM, AL) WXman James Spann. Everybody in this area tunes in to him during tornado season, and the saying here is: “If you can see James Spann’s suspenders, the sh*ts gettin’ serious”. He will broadcast for hours straight giving micro-forecasts during a local tornado outbreak.

22. bluenova1971 says:

23. leavemygunsalone says:

My heart and prayers w/all those concerned. Evacuating and preparing for a storm is absolutely exhausting, a nerve wracking stress. Fear of the unknown yet to come is brutal. Even when you are seasoned and have your act together it is very hard work. Blessings and love to you all.

24. SanJac says:

The President will be blamed soon and global warming will be why this hurricane is happening.

Some very interesting history on major hurricanes in the U.S.

25. Weather deteriorating here now. Power gone and tornado warning. Ughhh!

Going to be long and tough night. Grrrr.

Have a good night all and stay safe.

• Libertybella says:

Camera 8 (Cam 8) on hurricanetracker youtube is in cameron. it is still operating. Everyone is singing the praises of Cam 8. eyewall will be overhead soon and if Cam 8 holds we will get a glimpse of the town…or whatnis left.

• boogywstew says:

I lived in Central Florida for 12 years and my actual home of Long Island, NY gets full blown hurricanes right off the Atlantic from time to time. I was in the eye of Hurricane Belle on LI in August of ’76. I wouldn’t trade the experiences for anything. God Bless you “bambam”!

26. lida rose says:

Prayers for my East Texas friends and my Louisiana neighbors 🙏

• joshashland says:

In Florida praying for those in areas affected. and getting ready to follow up with whatever I can do.
      Been through every hurricane here since 1985. The Gulf Coast is so warm and unpredictable.
      But this is terrifying to watch a high tide,warm water intensified hurricane hit anywhere.

27. F.D.R. in Hell says:

Hellstorm LAURA’s northern eyewall edge comes on shore…

28. leavemygunsalone says:

Not that the aftermath of this storm isn’t warranted coverage, but how much do you wanna bet, hurricane coverage will be the excuse for not covering President Trump tomorrow night? If he carries on he will be insensitive, if he cancels then the MSM wins.

29. NICCO says:

Jesus said all power has been given to me in heaven and earth.Those of us who are born again believers in Jesus Christ can pray against storms.which I .do.I speak against this hurricane laure in the name above every name ,Jesus Christ of Nazareth,I command that you break up,cease and desist.right now.I call upon the warring angelic hosts to destroy this storm completely starting right now.Father ,let your Holy Spirit move on this storm and destroy it at its source,in Jesus Christ precious and mighty name,Amen.

30. Kent says:

…hurrricanes….nasty little situations…..but…isn’t there always a BUT?

Where is the eye going to make landfall…that’s the,,,BUT?…..but that’s really all that matters concerning hurricanes in my somewhat…ok..totally uneducated yet learned opinion…..where the eye passes onto shore….that is the crux of the issue…one side gets some wind and rain…the other side gets absolutely hammered and their whole world gets ripped apart and the friggin ocean….literally…. comes pouring in….literally…not a matter of rain…..not a matter of the creek not rising….the mf ocean literally comes pouring into your world….

And that’s some scary shit right there……

I’m not sure where I’m really going with this…I am in an emotional state from facing this sheet for the..multiple…times;;and I am in a safe spot now and my home is not going to be obliterated and I will go back to work and restart the refinery….and it’ll all be good…but twelve hours ago it wasn’t quite like that.. and for some people it won’t return to normal…not this time…so pitch in..

find somewhere to donate….$100…just 100…wouldn’t set you back at all…

You’ll never miss it

;;

31. dogsmaw says:

K, i was too busy before now. We left yesterday morn @ 7am from sulphur la…arrived Little Rock AR just after 2pm. After more than a full 2 days w/o sleep, have just been refreshed and more aware that I might have to find out we lost everything but thank God

I’m Alive

32. Stephanie Abrams and Jim Cantore favorite “phrase” this hurricane…
    “as the crow flies”

33. Deplorable Texan says:

UPDATE: Still here, powers been out for a couple hours, not much rain but blowing pretty good. Gusting 55-60, looks like La. got hammered. Cameron and Lake Charles too a direct hit. Southeast Texas spared for the most part last I heard. It’s moving fast which a really good thing. Daylight will tell more. I’ve heard limbs cracking, 6-7 am for the eye to pass here.
    I don’t know how to post pics or I’d put some up after daylight.

34. Henry says: