Monday August 10th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Monday August 10th – Open Thread

1. citizen817 says:

2. czarowniczy says:

Here I was thinking of taking my dog with me on a possible trip to Germany. After looking on line at the prerequisite hoops I’d have to go thru I figured it would be easier to just take an illegal Moslem immigrant. There seems to be an issue with housebreaking though.

• JTR says:

Leaving the UK with my kitty was a nightmare. We had to send off to Germany for a Rabies vaccine because they don’t have Rabies in the UK. There was only one airline that she could go in the cabin, and that was Delta. She had to have her own ticket. The vet had to sign her off within 10 days of departure. When we got to Chicago, they never looked at any of her papers, but insisted her carrier be emptied and inspected for drugs. We insisted on a private room, so as not to lose the kitty in the airport. The whole thing was a nightmare, but I’m sure she felt better being at my feet instead of in the belly of the plane. She was worth it!

3. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Will God Be Angry If We Eat Blood?

By Pastor Ricky Kurth

Eating blood was forbidden under the Law of Moses (Lev. 7:26,27), but “we are not under the law, but under grace” (Rom. 6:15). It is true that men were told not to eat blood before the Law, but there was a reason for this. God told Noah,

“…flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat” (Gen. 9:4).

When God expanded Adam’s vegetarian diet here (Gen. 1:29 cf. 9:3), He warned Noah not to eat the flesh of an animal with its blood, for the blood of an animal is “the life thereof,” and God had another purpose in mind for the life of animals:

“…the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul. Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood…” (Lev. 17:11,12).

But this is not true under grace! Now that Christ shed His blood to reconcile us to Himself (Col. 1:20,21), anyone who says we shouldn’t eat blood because the life of the flesh is in the blood must believe that the blood of animals still atones for men’s souls, for this is the only reason eating blood was prohibited.

This is similar to God’s prohibition against eating unclean animals. The only reason God said some animals were unclean (Lev. 11) was to teach Israel that some people were unclean, i.e., the Gentiles (Lev. 20:24-26 cf. Acts 10:9-16,28). That means anyone who says certain foods are unclean today must believe that the Gentiles are still unclean. And anyone saying we shouldn’t eat blood “for the life of the flesh is in the blood” must still believe that the blood of animals atones for men’s souls.

• TMonroe says:

“The only reason God said some animals were unclean (Lev. 11) was to teach Israel that some people were unclean, i.e., the Gentiles (Lev. 20:24-26 cf. Acts 10:9-16,28).”

Further context is in Leviticus 11:43-45 — “Do not defile yourselves by any crawling creature; do not become unclean or defiled by them. For I am the LORD your God; consecrate yourselves, therefore, and be holy, because I am holy. You must not defile yourselves by any creature that crawls along the ground. For I am the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt so that I would be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy.”

The reason for the regulations evidently relate to showing the holiness of God, which in so doing was meant to move the people to recognize their own unholiness and sinfulness through the Mosaic Law / old covenant, that they might be led to seek salvation through God as their deliverer as well as the promised deliverer chosen by God (cf. Galatians 3:23-25).

“The word “therefore” here clearly shows that the reason they weren’t to eat blood under the Law was because “it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.” We know that this was also true before the Law, for animal sacrifices were required to be “accepted” by God before the Law as well (Gen 4:7).”

What occurred with Cain and Abel in Genesis 4 points to the need for a right heart before God, above and beyond the sacrifice of an animal. The physical acts of animal sacrifice for atonement purposes were shadows and pointed to the only sacrifice sufficient towards cleansing people from their sins. Per Hebrews 10:1, “For the Law, having a shadow of the good things coming, not the form of the things themselves, never is able each year, with the same sacrifices which they offer continually, to perfect those drawing near.”

Subsequent verses provide further context for why the concept of atonement instituted per Leviticus 17:11-12 ultimately went away from the physical act of animal sacrifice being sufficient in and of itself for cleansing from sins versus the spiritual aspect of people having faith in God for their deliverance. This was why Christ came as the Lamb of God who died for us to do the will of the Father, so that we may be “sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all” (cf. Hebrews 10:10):

“But in these, there is a reminder of sins every year. For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and of goats to take away sins. Therefore coming into the world, He says: “Sacrifice and offering You have not desired, but a body You have prepared me. In burnt offerings and offerings for sin You have not delighted. Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—in the scroll of the book it is written of Me—to do Your will, O God’” (Hebrews 10:3-7).

• John says:

Please explain:

Gen 4:10 ¶ And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother’s blood crieth unto me from the ground.
        Gen 4:11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother’s blood from thy hand;
        Gen 4:12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

The earth was cursed because it’s “mouth” cosumed Abel’s blood.

Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
        Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

4. czarowniczy says:

O…M…G…! Talk is that this years college football season may be cancelled this year! What will all of those jocks do if they actually have to attend classes!?

5. Lucille says:

Happy Bench Monday….

Baska Voda, Dalmatia, Croatia…

The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe Book Bench, London…

Kirov, Russia…

Zurich, Switzerland…

Have a blessed day!

• donna kovacevic says:

I have been blessed to be able to visit Baska Voda Dalmatia Croatia, as my uncle still resides close to Split Croatia a beautiful breathtaking place to vacation, take in the peaceful sights. Makarska another tourist destination is close by and a favorite for many locals or within driving distance to stay in the summer months. I will say my favorite place on the coastline is in Montenegro the many gorgeous little towns, the beaches the calm sea is good for the soul. Dubrovnik, Croatia is another old city meets new is beautiful, many many tourists from all across the globe visit and enjoy their stay. The above picture gave me some time to look back on my travels, now with this evil virus, how sad that these beautiful places are vacated. Lord willing this too shall pass and people will once again go vacation wherever their hearts want. Praying for this to be over soon, people staying safe, but strong in the Lord, continuing with prayers for all mankind. God Bless.

• Lucille says:

It would be wonderful to visit Croatia. Such a beautiful country. The Wuhan has shut down much of the Balkans, though they are somewhat coming out of it now.

This is a fun vid about a musician from Croatia…
        Luka Šulić about Šulić beach and his family
        July 20, 2019

• Lucille says:

Donna, here’s another vid you might enjoy…when the audience starts singing the words to these folk songs, it’s very touching. I looked up the translations and as with all translations from Croatian into English, I’m sure something of the meaning is lost….

2CELLOS – “Vilo Moja” and “Ne Dirajte Mi Ravnicu”
        Luka Sulic and Stjepan Hauser performing a Croatian Medley at their 5th anniversary concert, King Tomislav Square in Zagreb, Croatia in front of 50 000 people, July 2016

“Vilo Moja” – “My Fairy”

Almost every time
        when we see each other
        you don’t even say hello back,
        as if we don’t know each other.

And if I could invite you to come to me
        before you fall asleep,
        before the first dream,
        I’d tell you that I still love you.

My fairy,
        you are my dream.
        You are my dream.
        And it would be easier
        if you were a stranger to me,
        if I’d never gotten to know you,
        if I didn’t know you.

“Ne Dirajte Mi Ravnicu” – “Don’t Touch My Pain”

Tonight, my good people,
        don’t ask me anything.
        Let the tears flow quietly,
        that way it will hurt less.

Deep down, I still hear
        my mother telling me sadly,
        when you come back one day, son,
        I will be waiting for you.

My fields are calling me.
        My tamburas* are calling me
        before I close my eyes
        to see it all once more.

Chorus
        Don’t touch the memory
        inside me tonight.
        Don’t touch my pain
        because I will be back.

*Tambura: Balkan stringed instrument

6. Garrison Hall says:

When I was just starting out, I had a late nite radio show. It was a tiny little station (which is why they hired me . . .) with only a few listeners. Playing anything by Sinatra never failed to get phone requests for more. No big surprise about that . . .

7. hawkins6 says:

From being Virtually Home Schooled to a Teaching Degree in only 4 months

8. Garrison Hall says:

I had a roadside adventure the other day I’d like to share with you. I was driving home when I saw a black SUV on the side of the road suddenly pull back into my lane. Traffic was running pretty fast which made doing that kinda chancy so I slowed to let them get a chance to accelerate into the traffic flow. Suddenly I saw why they had stopped. There was a white animal carrier sitting on the side of the road. As the SUV accelerated away and I passed by the white carrier, my first thought was to wonder why they’d stopped? Surely these people in an expensive newer car wouldn’t abandon a helpless animal on the side of the road like that.

But then, I couldn’t help but wonder what if they had? What if there was somebody’s pet in the carrier, bewildered and frightened at being abandoned on a noisy freeway? It was dangerous out there and all it would take was for some 18 wheeler to be just a few feet over the line to hit the white carrier. Some people are just careless and cruel enough to do something like that. I also thought that maybe the SUV had stopped, found the carrier to be empty and then just drove off. Surely some other caring person would see the carrier and stop saving me the trouble of returning. But what if nobody did? I drove a few miles further on before I knew I had to go back and see for myself.

I had to make a couple of passes up and down the freeway before I found the white carrier. I pulled over, turned on my emergency flashers . . . and then something interesting happened. On this very busy drive-time freeway people noticed the carrier, noticed my truck’s emergency flashers and figured out why I’d stopped. Cars began moving over giving me enough room to exit and check on the carrier. When I got to it, hoping against hope, I found it was empty. Exactly why anyone left it there, I have no idea, but my sense of relief was enormous on finding there wasn’t a cat or dog in the carrier. Seeking to save someone else the dangerous task of stopping on a dangerous freeway, I picked up the carrier, put it in the bed of my truck and took it to a trash dumster.

9. Watching “Foul Play” With Chevy Chase, Burgess Meredith, Brian Denehy , and Goldie Hawn.

I recommend it for some levity during these tense times.

• Sepp says:

Goldie Hawn with Steve Martin in “Housesitter” is another comedy.

(Goldie tells lots of “good lies” that turn several situations to become far happier than they would have been if she was not quite so imaginative. Steve calls her “Queen of Crap” at one point.)

10. Sepp says:

. . . but deliver us from the Evil One.

11. Dora says:

12. Dora says:

13. Dora says:

14. Charlotte Powell Brooks says:

Baby Lives Matter.

15. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day for Monday, August 10, 2020

“Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:”
    Psalms 139:23 (KJV)

16. By my drive at home

On a pond in Miami

17. usualwidgits says:

OTHER THINGS

I received a text two nights ago from my daughter that her cousin was in intensive care and to please pray for her. It was the next day that we found out it was due to alcohol poisoning. But, as my daughter said, that was caused by “Other Things.”
    I am sharing this to ask for prayers. You see, my niece has been through a lot. Her father died in a car accident when she was about three. Her mother eventually remarried but that didn’t work out. She had a rough childhood with no real spiritual grounding. But she became a very successful hair stylist. She got married and has two beautiful little children. The relationship with the husband deteriorated and now they are separated. This probably describes the lives of countless families all over the world. Other things.
    We get word this morning that our niece is back in ICU with a brain hemorrhage. Maybe just another example of life gone bad. But what if, on top of all the other things a struggling parent has to deal with in life, her business was not shut down due to this pandemic scare mongering. So, whether alcohol poisoning, brain hemorrhage, delayed elective surgeries or unable to get cancer treatments, its all Covid related. If the deaths aren’t being undercounted, the despair certainly is.
    So, please pray. For everyone.

18. just stevie says:

THE SACRAMENT OF THE SAINT

“Let them that suffer according to the will of God, commit the keeping of their souls to Him in well-doing.” 1 Peter iv. 19

To choose to suffer means that there is something wrong; to choose God’s will even if it means suffering is a very different thing. No healthy saint ever chooses suffering; he chooses God’s will, as Jesus did, whether it means suffering or not. No saint dare interfere with the discipline of suffering in another saint.

The saint who satisfies the heart of Jesus will make other saints strong and mature for God. The people who do us good are never those who sympathize with us, they always hinder, because sympathy enervates. No one understands a saint but the saint who is nearest to the Saviour. If we accept the sympathy of a saint, the reflex feeling is – Well, God is dealing hardly with me. That is why Jesus said self-pity was of the devil (see Matt. xvi. 23). Be merciful to God’s reputation. It is easy to blacken God’s character because God never answers back, He never vindicates Himself. Beware of the thought that Jesus needed sympathy in His earthly life; He refused sympathy from man because He knew far too wisely that no one on earth understood what He was after. He took sympathy from His Father only, and from the angels in heaven. (Cf. Luke xv. 10.)

Notice God’s unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say – God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is.

Oswald Chambers
    August 10th Devotional

19. willthesuevi says:

Our awesome President running it up the backside of the CCP and their willing dupe Trudeau.

I hope Canada can have their “Make Canada Great Again” moment soon.

I love how our POTUS keeps his eye on the ball with the maelstrom that surrounds his presidency.

Carry on, Sir!

20. F.D.R. in Hell says:

It was Sunday…ICYMI…

21. ImpeachEmAll says:

Just say’n… 😉

22. Margot says:

Live your best life. Howard Jones, Things Can Only Get Better. (the ’80s: Funny Clothes, Big Hair and some catchy music. Enjoy).

23. trapper says:

OK. Message received. Here’s my part.

Crank it up LOUD. Take off your mask. THROW it down! Raise you margarita HIGH in the air, form a conga line, and dance around the pool.

• Margot says:

Nice, trapper. Imagine if a whole bunch of people showed up in Chicago or Seattle or Portland or some other dreary libtard urban venue and formed a huge conga line. They wouldn’t know whether to —- or go blind.

24. trapper says:

An while I’m at it

LIIIIIte foot
    Li I I I—- tfoot
    Daylight come an me wan go home
    Loot all night in the summer heat
    Daylight come an me wan go home
    Run from cops til I puke in street
    Daylight come an me wan go home
    Got some Coach an me got some Fendi
    Daylight come an me wan go home
    Pile em all in me carjacked Caddie
    Daylight come an me wan go home
    LIIIIIte foot
    Li I I I—- tfoot
    Daylight come an me wan go home

Loot de Nordstrom and me loot de Macy
    Daylight come an me wan go home
    We’d all be shot if we pulled dis on Daley
    Daylight come an me wan go home
    Dey got Tamika an dey got Deshawn
    Daylight come an me wan go home
    Foxx’ll release em by de time I home
    Daylight come an me wan go home
    LIIIIIte foot
    Li I I I—- tfoot
    Daylight come an me wan go home

Your turn

25. stella says:

Just want to remind readers (or let you know if you haven’t seen previous notices) that we are not allowing any new commenters at this time. That will change in the future, I’m sure.

For the time being, if your comment goes to our pending queue (as all comments by new commenters do) and we don’t recognize you, we first search our comment database by your IP address and then, if necessary, by email address. If you don’t pass either of those tests, then your comment is deleted.

The content of your comment is not considered. If you think that what you have to tell us is vital, please send an email.

Thanks for understanding.

• Janie M. says:

H&HC, I’m so glad downtown Chitcago is nearly 2 hrs. away from me. It’s going to go even faster down the tubes. The crime rate will continue to rise. Moreover, who wants to go into the City and possibly be mugged, etc. I’m certain the COVID problem hasn’t helped matters – no large gatherings at the various annual events suburbanites normally visit every summer and far less patrons at any of the great restaurants, etc.

26. Janie M. says:

Two days ago, was shopping at Walmart… was scanning my purchases. I had picked up a small section of fresh ginger root (going to make Chicken Tikka Masala) and the scanner said, it cost $285.95! Apparently all the scanners had a BIG glitch and other customers had outrageous prices pop up for them as well. Yeah, we all had a good laugh.

27. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Please place Your Guardian Angels of Protection around Donald Trump and Mike Pence and their families as they seek to lead America back to You. Also, we pray for Angels to protect and support our Sundance as he works for justice and peace.

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

28. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

29. AJ. says:

Jimmy Dore confronts the Uniparty on Julian Assange!