Saturday August 8th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

106 Responses to Saturday August 8th – Open Thread

1. citizen817 says:

Misty eyes here…

2. citizen817 says:

3. Deplorable_Infidel says:

The Virgin Birth

By Pastor Paul M. Sadler

“Someone pointed out to me that the word ‘virgin’ in Isaiah 7:14 is the Hebrew word ‘almah’ meaning, ‘a young woman’—in other words, a ‘young woman’ who may or may not be a virgin. I am a firm believer in the virgin birth of Christ, but how do I address this dilemma?”

It is true the Hebrew word almah simply means a “damsel” or a “maiden,” who may or may not be a virgin. However, almah can refer to a young woman who is a virgin, such as in the case of Rebekah (Gen. 24:43-45). Interestingly, the Holy Spirit does not leave the matter open for debate in regard to Mary. Under the guidance of the Spirit, Matthew directly quotes Isaiah and, in doing so, he uses the Greek word parthenos. This term is solely used of a woman who has never known a man.

“Behold, a virgin [Gr. parthenos] shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us” (Matt. 1:23).

The purpose of the miraculous conception and virgin birth of Christ was to show that He was not stained with Adam’s sin. As Paul says, “He knew no sin” (II Cor. 5:21). Christ was an empty vessel when it came to sin. This allowed the Father to pour our iniquities into His dear Son at Calvary, where He was made “sin for us.” It is essentially a matter of faith! If Christ wasn’t born of the virgin, then we are yet in our sins.

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Genesis 24:43 Behold, I stand by the well of water; and it shall come to pass, that when the virgin cometh forth to draw water, and I say to her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water of thy pitcher to drink;
    44 And she say to me, Both drink thou, and I will also draw for thy camels: let the same be the woman whom the LORD hath appointed out for my master’s son.
    45 And before I had done speaking in mine heart, behold, Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down unto the well, and drew water: and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee.

Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

4. Lucille says:

HAPPY CATURDAY!

Incredible Japanese Cat Garden Catio Design

5. Garrison Hall says:

6. Lucille says:

Happy Cat Bench Caturday…

Bench by Tim Boyden, Eugene, OR

Have a blessed day!

• littlequilterkitty says:

Lucille, I just love, love your kitty photos! Looks like some of our crew and they are all special!

• Lucille says:

Glad you enjoy them!

Love my two. I always tell them, “Thanks for letting me live here with you and pay the rent.” They simply assume every chair, bench, couch and bed is theirs by divine right.

7. Garrison Hall says:

Happy Caterday!!!

8. SRV
    Crossfire

Reminds me of a certain General we all know and love.

9. David says:

American friends, I am Israeli Trump supporter. I am attaching here an amazing video about the views of Israel. It is from the point of view of a professional biking guy from Austria. It’s amazing and beautiful video.

10. Texian says:

[2 / 5]

11. cheryl says:

Protesters Sue City Because It’s So Expensive to Attack Police

😡 I was reading this story again about how these little punks are crying because they can’t buy the expensive gear that the police have. Why, back in my day, we made our gas masks out of sticks and mud and we were thankful!

• nimrodman says:

If you’re there to “protest”, hold up your protest sign that says something on it

If you’re there in helmet, elbow pads, kneepads, goggles, gloves, face shield, gas mask, and sharpened pole

… you’re there to riot
      … and you’re a rioter

12. nimrodman says:

Jersey, y’all !!!

Time for Another L.E.O. Support & Veterans for Trump Boat Parade!

13. Charlotte Powell Brooks says:

Baby Lives Matter.

14. Dora says:

Happy Caturday!

15. Dora says:

16. Dora says:

17. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

18. Dora says:

19. Sepp says:

. . . but deliver us from the Evil One.

20. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day for Saturday, August 8, 2020

“Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.”
    Proverbs 14:34 (KJV)

21. trnathens says:

Looks to me like the middle of August is going to be interesting for a number of different reasons:

“China has told Japan that it will be sending a lot of fishing boats to the Senkaku Islands and will be assuming control of the Senkakus. In an online briefing, the commander of U.S. forces in Japan said that a lot of Chinese fishing boats might be coming AFTER MID-AUGUST (emphasis mine).

And so in just over a week from now China’s “aggressive and malign” activities might be ramped up to an attempt to seize Japanese territory, which in turn could go straight to full blown war between China and the civilized countries of the world.”

22. just stevie says:

PRAYER IN THE FATHER’S HONOUR

“That holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.” Luke i. 35

If the Son of God is born into my mortal flesh, is His holy innocence and simplicity and oneness with the Father getting a chance to manifest itself in me? What was true of the Virgin Mary in the historic introduction of God’s Son into this earth is true in every saint. The Son of God is born into me by the direct act of God; then I as a child of God have to exercise the right of a child, the right of being always face to face with my Father. Am I continually saying with amazement to my common-sense life – why do you want to turn me off here? Don’t you know that I must be about my Father’s business? Whatever the circumstances may be, that Holy Innocent Eternal Child must be in contact with His Father.

Am I simple enough to identify myself with my Lord in this way? Is He getting His wonderful way in me? Is God realizing that His Son is formed in me, or have I carefully put Him on one side? Oh, the clamour of these days! Everyone is clamouring – for what? For the Son of God to be put to death. There is no room here for the Son of God just now, no room for quiet holy communion with the Father.

Is the Son of God praying in me or am I dictating to Him? Is He ministering in me as He did in the days of His flesh? Is the Son of God in me going through His passion for His own purposes? The more one knows of the inner life of God’s ripest saints, the more one sees what God’s purpose is – “filling up that which is behind of the affliction of Christ.” There is always something to be done in the sense of “filling up.”

Oswald Chambers
    August 8th Devotional

23. permiejack says:

Sundance is not the only one calling to stand up against the tyranny of the radicals.

Nihilism’s Collapse Into Totalitarianism
    BY MICHAEL THACKERPOSTED ON AUGUST 3, 2020
    From the time that German philosopher Fredrick Nietzsche announced the death of God in the late 19th century, we have seen an ever rapid moral decline of humanity. Over the past 100 years we have witnessed the increase in nihilism and the deterioration of civil society, and now we are witnessing the pinnacle of its modern day reign.

As history repeats itself time and time again, so we see this nihilistic behavior of ideologically possessed individuals escalating to the point of a complete collapse of America itself. This pattern of increase social discord occurred before in the Soviet Union with the Russian Revolution led by Lenin. And again it occurred in China during the Chinese Communist Revolution led by Mao. And again in Germany with the Nazi Revolution. All three occurrence took place during chaotic times where uncertainty loomed and nihilism reigned.

After these brief years of radical revolutions, nihilism soon collapsed upon itself to give rise to tyrannical order in which millions of lives were lost through the means of execution and starvation. The same underlying ideology that possessed these revolutions is the same that possess the radicals today. A bizarre blend of Marxism and Nazism are what make up this modern day revolution, and they only have one goal in mind; that is total control and the full implementation of their corrupted ideology upon society.

As Christians witnessing these chaotic forces of darkness work in our cities, we should feel compelled to not only pray for our nation and world, but to stand up against these tyrannical forces. We should be courageous in the face of evil and stand firm on the truth that holds us up.

We are not called to be passive, but to be bold and courageous. We are not called to be silent in times of uncertainty, but to proclaim the truth to the lost world around us. We are not called to applaud those that cause destruction under the guise of social justice warriors, but to inform ourselves about their true motives and denounce evil.

-Michael Thacker

24. It seems like Portland and Seattle have a lot more incommon with STOCKHOLM than I dreamed possible.

How’s about we’uns establish a “No CHAZ Zone” in America? Like… ALL OF AMERICA?

25. After reading this story about NYC Mayor, Bill de Blasio telling NYers “Dont buy a car! Mass transit is the FUTURE!” . ..I had to wonder… how often does HE ride the Subways and Trains without armed security to protect him?

26. czarowniczy says:

My Mom died peacefully at home yesterday morning, exactly one month before her 101st birthday. She was one of the dwindling number of WW2 Luftwaffe veterans whose numbers are slipping as are those of US WW2 vets.

My father died in 1984, one month short of his 60th birthday. He was retired from the Air Force, he flew with 8th Air Force in England during WW2 and died from Agent Orange-related cancer, he was handling the defoliants in Vietnam, spraying them on areas I was working in. If you missed it, yes, my Mom’s base in Belgium quite likely did bomb my Dad’s base in England and/or attack his B-17. We had neat family reunions.

In case there might be questions about how she reached 101, she was always a tough old bird. When the allies broke through from the Normandy beaches my grandfather and his unit were moved from setting up defensive positions on Eastern Front to Belgium. When Belgium started to collapse he got hold of Mom sand told her to go and take care of her sisters and mother in Thuringia as he was an officer and was staying with his unit to the end.

He ended up a British POW while she moved eastward, through the Russian lines (there were huge gaps) and back to the homestead. As the war ended it was chaos and that allowed her to smuggle, one by one, her two sisters and her Mom out by using the refugee trains on the broken tracks. She’d have to walk miles between some breaks with Russian troops and political officers looking for escapees and members of the German military trying to evade. Yes, she and her sisters/mother had pistols and spare magazines and were prepared to duke it out with the Russians if captured but all managed to make it to Munich.

• TreeClimber says:

I’m sorry for your loss.

• P says:

I’m sorry for the loss of your Mother, czarowniczy, and also for your Father in 1984. You’re truly blessed that your Mom was able to pass peacefully at home, especially nowadays with how crazy everything has become.

Both of my parents have gone on, too. Dad and Mom served during WW2; Dad as Sgt US Army Air Forces and Mom as Tec 4 US Army Women’s Army Auxillary Corps.

“Another small part of history slips into obscurity but this post should help it last just a bit longer.” Yes, it will help. Thank you for sharing their history!

“To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Truly, the Greatest Generation to have ever lived.

• nimrodman says:

Very sorry to hear of your loss, czar

But thank you so much for telling your familiy’s fascinating story, what a contribution to the richness of commentary we are graced with hear at the Treehouse.

God Bless you and family. – Nimrodman

• Rosie says:

Deepest sympathy on the loss of your dear Mother and Father.

• czarowniczy says:

Thanks, but in both cases their passings were a blessing. You feel a twang of guilt saying that but when my father slipped into a coma as that painful cancer progressed and Mom had just completely lost her ‘self’ we did feel relief.

When my father’s funeral was early in the morning and I didn’t want her spending all day at home being wretched afterwards. I took her to a newish mall in West Palm for coffee and rolls and as we walked past the bookstore by the coffee shop there was Paul Prudhomme autographing his (then) first cookbook. We walked in, I bought the book and he autographed it. I mentioned to him I was from NOLA and we ate in his restaurant and I was friends with his old prep chef from the 70s. He asked what I was doing there and I said we’d just come from my farther’s funeral but we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see him. I got to mention that to him again a few times over the years,never did quite know how he took that but I was usually in my sheriff’s uniform and most folks thought we were all bat-sh*t crazy anyway.

27. 4*Freedom says:

PARENT POWER EDUCATION SILVER LINING? STRIKING NEW DATA – Report below shows Texas’ 1,500% !! Hike (15 times) of families withdrawing from public schools – and those are just the ones securing formal withdrawal form letter from a school-choice organization. Past the chaos, there are citizen gold-miners prying triumph out of trauma – an inspiration. One bonus = a shift away from state indoctrination. See: http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/2020/august/public-schools-might-see-an-exodus-parents-debate-education-options

28. Sepp says:

To Ponder

Let me ponder on the miraculous victory over the Amorites (Joshua 24):

1. How the Lord sent hornets against the Amorites, and they were thrown into confusion and overcome by the Israelites.
    2. How the Lord God is powerful and how, with the aid of little things, He brings low the pride of the unrighteous.

From “The Prologue from Ohrid” by Saint Nikolai (Serbian-born Bishop who reposed in the USA and was a former prisoner at Dachau).

Today is July 26th on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church and August 8th on the civil or commercial calendar.

29. P says:

The Return 2020
    @2020_return
    The Return is a movement and a specific day set apart for the return to God by coming to Him in prayer and repentance.
    Join us on September 26, 2020.

For if My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land ~ 2 Chronicles 7:14

If not now, then when?
    If not me, then who?
    And if not…why not?

30. ImpeachEmAll says:

Just say’n… 😉

And now it’s Willie’s turn.

31. SRT392 says:

Does anyone know what happened to dcwhispers? The informative site is now down. Thanks.

32. rah says:

A comment on the explosion in Beirut.
    I know a little about explosives. Blew a lot of stuff up when I was in the Army as an SF soldier and though my primary MOS was 18D (SF medic) my secondary was 18C (SF Engineer).

Ammonium Nitrate is used as the primary component for blasting in mines because:
    1. It is very stable and generally takes a good initiator to explode. Stable explosives require both pressure and heat to initiate the reaction or in other words an explosion caused by another explosive of some type. Neither heat or pressure alone can initiate the reaction.
    2. It’s relatively cheap
    3. It’s reaction/explosion is relatively slow which makes it more effective at breaking up or displacing rock and earth than explosives that react at a faster rate such as TNT. (TNT is kind of middle of the road and thus a good general purpose explosive. Explosives that have a quicker reaction such as C-4 are better for cutting steel. And very quick reaction types such as PETN is what is used in detonation cord commonly called primer cord or detcord and is used to connect separated charges in order to get them to explode as close to the same time as possible and by doing so requires only one initiator to start the chain. )

Ammonium Nitrate does not spontaneously combust or explode. Like I said it takes an initiator that applies both heat and pressure at the same time to start the reaction. From what I have seen and read it appears that a store of nearby fireworks got going somehow and that is what caused the Ammonium Nitrate to explode.

BTW Ammonium Nitrate with diesel fuel is ANFO but contrary to what I have seen written in some places one does not have to mix diesel with Ammonium Nitrate to get the stuff to blow up.

I was in Beirut or the immediate vicinity from Jan through April 1984 as part of a Special Forces Mobile Training Team consisting of two A teams and a B team. Back then there were two huge round white tanks for storing liquified natural gas at the port. I’m sure they added to the carnage if they were still there and full.

A couple of little stories to give you an idea how casual the Lebanese I worked with while in Lebanon were about the handling of explosives.

1. It is common when training new troops to have a shake down inspection. We brought out or Lebanese Defense Force troops with ruck sacks and all equipment to shake them down. What this means is we needed to see what they had, and what they intended to carry into combat so we could give them pointers on what to carry and how to carry it. I found one guy that had a ball of plastic explosives (I am not sure exactly what kind because the Lebanese had explosives from many different companies, I used French made grenades and detination cord made in Portugal when I was there for example). The ball was about the size of a grapefruit complete with blasting cap, fuse and fuse ignitor and he was carrying it lose inside his rucksack! You NEVER carry something like that. Blasting caps are kept away from the explosive until it needs to be used. Nonelectric blasting caps can be initiated by a hard shock alone!

2. When I went down to visit where they kept their explosives I had to step over a dried stream of white crystaline substance on the concrete floor. Tracing the residue back to it’s source I found it ended at a box of civilian manufacture dynamite! Common civilian manufactured dynamite contains nitro glycerin! That Nitro had leached out of the sticks of dynamite and had flown across the concrete floor and dried. So those guys had a box of highly reactive old dynamite stored with a bunch of other explosives from all over the world. It was just asking for an accident. The place we were at got shelled and rocketed on occasion too!

So based on my own experiences back in 1984, the claim that explosion was an accident is completely plausible. Of course the government of Lebanon and some other countries have every reason to claim it wasn’t and accident but think about this. That Ammonium Nitrate had been there for YEARS!

• Maquis says:

Appreciate your insight.

• nimrodman says:

At about 0:45 in this video it looks like fireworks exploding at the base of the smoke cloud, followed shortly by the main explosion

Lesson to all – if you see a large explosion, immediately cover your ears with your palms. There’s a couple-second delay because light moves near-infintely faster than sound

(the actual blast or shock-wave is sound, basically), 1100 feet per seconds or roughly 5 seconds per mile, not the 1 second you’ve been told for thunder)

… you get a couple seconds to react, but not think and react, that’s why I’m telling you

33. So where is the executive order for that second $1200 …..hmmmm?????

• nimrodman says:

So where is the executive order for that second $1200 …..hmmmm?????

I don’t need it as much as many do
      … but I’ll take it

I’ll mark it as a down-payment on reimbursing all the taxes I’ve contributed over the years to inner-city thugs who sit around and blow blunts all day

just sayin’

34. ImpeachEmAll says:

Just say’n… 😉

Oldie; but a Goodie…

35. nimrodman says:

These stories kill me but I keep getting sucked in

36. Margot says:

As we segue from Saturday evening into Saturday night, Carly Simon gives the ladies something to think about. (And how I miss those New England seashore summer evenings, with the sunset against the misty clouds, the sound of the bell buoys, the boats coming in to harbor, the salt tang in the cooling air) The Stuff that Dreams are Made Of:

37. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Please place Your Guardian Angels of Protection around Donald Trump and Mike Pence and their families as they seek to lead America back to You. Also, we pray for Angels to protect and support our Sundance as he works for justice and peace.

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

38. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

39. nimrodman says:

It’s still Caturday, right?

40. ganesh says:

Lotta cats here today. Stella must be in the house.

So I have a posting question. My head lives in Excel. (Preferably Lotus 123 actually – just to date my head).

Am trying to cut and paste spreadsheets and graphics into here. But can not. Orderly columns come out looking like this:

2016 2020 2020
    Missouri 10 18.50% 10 0 10 0
    Nebraska CD2 1 25.00% 1 0 1 0

Subtotals 191 20 155 56

In Hand Otherwise as of 7/31 115 212 115 212

Total electoral votes 538 306 232 270 268
    (Need to win 270)

So THAT is really hard to read. Graphs do not cut and paste at all.

Anyone know how to make this work?