Problems with comments posting

Most of you are aware that we have been having problems with the WordPress commenting and spam filtering system. There recently was a software update, and this may be a result of that update. We don’t know for sure.

In the meantime, your cooperation is requested to help us with moderation.

Dozens of valid comments per hour are being dumped by Akismet (the WP spam filter) into the trash bin. We must filter and restore the valid ones and delete the actual spam and trash. This means that we have to validate each comment when we don’t recognize the commenter. This is an agonizing and monotonous task. It would help if everyone did the following:

1. STOP posting comments strictly about not being able to comment.

2. STOP posting comments 10 times in hope that the repeats will somehow get through. They won’t. It just means that we have to take the time to find and delete them.

3. STOP changing your name in hopes that you will get in. You won’t.

4. Make every comment count. A comment that has a smiley face or says “I agree” is just as difficult to moderate as a long, well considered comment.

We spend hours every day trying to see that your valid comments are posted, but it takes time. Frankly, the complaining makes me want to take a 3-hour lunch, and I’m not alone.

In fact, I think I’ll go make lunch and maybe watch a “Miss Marple” mystery.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

211 Responses to Problems with comments posting

1. CountryClassVulgarian says:

Thanks for all you do Admin. Hopefully this will end in short order. Perhaps we should get WP spammer to count election ballots. That ought to go well…

• Ad rem says:

At this point I’d settle for the “purple thumbs” approach!

• Ninja7 says:

Ad Rem,
        IIRC, Thought that it was the index finger?

FYI
        Tablet, Android OS, Over Air WI-FI,

• Mr. T. says:

I can top that, Ninja7. Commodore 64 with digital tape backup, big floppy drive, blazing fast dial-up modem,14″ color monitor and a dot matrix printer. I love this ultra modern computer hardware.

• Linda K. says:

This must be a nasty high tech assault on trekkers. If we weren’t such a close knit site, would there be so many clamoring about their posts disappearing? And such great monitors working to keep it going? I’m trying a different browser.

• Lind K. et al.

I’d just like to recount my recent experience.
          A menacing red warning appeared in my message box (or was it comments-box?) which stated that my newly-renewed credit card from AEX (from which my yearly Word Press fees are paid) needed to be updated. They provided a link, and I input the new credit card security code, and voila!….my ‘like’ functionality returned like magic.

To be clear, this was the annually-renewable credit card we all get through the mail (AEX, VISA etc) and which has a different security code each year. My Word P fees are not due until October 2020, but the action of updating the new card info was stated as an immediate requirement!
          Go figure!!

My suggestion: go to your PROFILE at Word Press and update your new credit card info if you have a recently-renewed card.

Good luck!

• Linda K. says:

I don’t pay for Word Press!

• truthseeker39525 says:

Like Linda, I have a minimal, free account at WordPress.
              For some reason, it allows me to post when I use the ‘Pale Moon’ browser on my Windows 10 HP ‘Star Wars’ laptop, but if I use my Avast browser, I can read articles ut not post comments. I probably have some permission setting in the wrong position on my Avast browser.

THANK YOU the Admin group, for, in addition to the investigative work and writing, all the ‘housecleaning’ that goes into running this site!
              I know just enough about computer systems to know that when they work, they’re great, but when they don’t, they can be a GIANT PAIN in the REAR!

2. James F says:

Just checking to see if I can post again. I was starting to wonder if I was shadow banned or something.

3. elizabethross1776 says:

Have Sundance & the team considered running this as a self-hosted WordPress site? There are many spam filtering and comment moderation plugins available for self-hosted sites that can make life a lot easier on the Mods. Plus, if/when the SHTF, what happens if WordPress (your hosting company) decides that this site breaks their TOS? Could they disappear it without warning? (I know Squarespace has done that to conservatives.) WordPress software is open-source and free to use with any hosting company, and it seems like I’ve heard that you can mirror self-hosted sites to prevent denial of service attacks.

4. Don McAro says:

What I have noticed…. I have a MacBook…. If I am using Firefox I have problems.
    If I use Safari I am not having any problems at all…

Lastly… If I am using a PC (my wife’s laptop) no mater what browser I am using… Its always a problem…

I don’t know if that helps you…but it is what I have noticed…

Right now I’m using the Mac with Safari

5. Amy2 says:

I’ll save you some time and stop posting for a day or two. I’m just here to add some levity while I get informed. If I’m in the trash you can leave me there! Thanks for everything you are doing and have a great evening!

6. Yomin! says:

Thanks adrem for the update. The comments are definitely wonky on my end too. I notice when I post/get a reply, when I click to reply it brings me back to the comments but places me in a random spot in the chain. Doesn’t matter if I’m using the WP app or Safari (on an iPhone or MacBook), the comments don’t filter by date, example, one may be from noon today and the next from the day before…seems like there’s no rhyme or reason to the hierarchy. It makes it very hard to follow older comments.

I hope I’m missing something simple and there’s an easy fix. I can take being labeled the techno-indiot if anyone has any tips! 🤓 Thanks -Min

7. YeahYouRight says:

SD, can you/would you like to delegate for some assistance? I’m happy to roll up my sleves and pitch in.

Thanks for explaining.

8. njjack says:

STELLA DORO? NOT

9. KMD says:

Tighten up, Treepers!!!

10. Mel Alvord says:

Ok folks, let’s all go out for a beer and let these people get their work done. I don’t think they need to be here answering our questions of or comments of frustration. Thanks to all who are working on this problem and taking care of this website. It will be taken care of I’m certain. Patience everybody!

11. directorblue says:

After seeing this, Democrats now support Vote By Email.

12. Beau Geste says:

test with private browsing
    Ad REm, no need to post

13. stella says:

Please STOP changing your name!

14. chickenhawk says:

testing
    hope you don’t mind

15. I used to have these problems all the time on my Apple phone. But I never had a problem on my iPad. I realized that on my iPad I was always in private browsing mode. On the phone I was not.
    Once I switched to private browsing for the iPhone, my comments appeared each time.

I will admit that sometimes I have to refresh a few times before the likes register. But it’s not nearly as bad as what many here are dealing with.

I hope this helps at least a few of my fellow treepers.

16. queensmary says:

humor helps. LOL the cartoon.

17. Rockindubya says:

I seem to be able to post, just unable to “like.” This is a first….But, no complaint, under the circumstances….

18. mtk says:

Just tired something.
    Did a cache delete, been a few months.
    An a power off and on. Been several weeks since i did.

19. bordoodle says:

I find this all interesting. Recent comments of mine immediately show up and then disappear? Then I get excited mails from Treepers who liked my comment but I still cannot find my comment. It’s ok since my comments are not exciting but it is still a conundrum. Like is another whole issue

20. trishinsouthernillinois says:

Thanks to ALL fishing us outta the bin!

Here’s the new way to screw with people on Twitter today:

Seeing this on lots of people I follow on Twitter. The left is insanely DESPERATE!

21. George Hicks says:

Thank you stella, Ad rem, Menagerie and WeeWeed,
    One only has to visit any of the comment sections on other political websites, blogs, forums to see the Herculean tasks our moderators do on a daily basis to keep this site free from the garbage and allow SD and our so many knowledgeable contributors to keep us informed. It is truly a testament to the success of CTH.
    Thank You!

22. cymrufem says:

Just testing to make sure I can still post. Many goblins out and about in the universe these days.

23. spinoneone says:

Perhaps the site should move from Word Press to Discus or another provider.

24. Mr. T. says:

Latest version of Windows 10 and Edge that is now chromium based and works like a charm after the latest update. Got plenty of memory, a good NVIDIA graphics card with plenty of its own memory, two Samsung solid state drives and a fast CPU. Only problem I’ve ever had with WP is when they are doing updating, which causes my login information to not appear on the upper right of the page. Other than that, CTH always shows up and functions just fine.

• Joemama says:

Chrome is a google product and as a google product, it is evil like google.

Why would you use a chromium based product, Mr, T?

I suspect that the real Mr. T. would pity you, fool.

25. Hugh Jass says:

Just for a little clarity, who are the actual admins? I know of Stella, WeeWeed, Ad Rem, and of course, the Man himself, Sundance. Who are the others, so that we may heed their advice?

26. RAC says:

If this goes in the bin please ignore it.
    Changing browser settings didn’t do anything so trying a different search engine.

27. TwoLaine says:

Did not know this. Thank you.

28. parleyvous says:

Nothing works. I cannot post or like.

29. jean0404 says:

To hear rather than to be heard

30. Vegas Guy says:

A simple fix that has always worked for me. At the location you intend to post at, click “save to favorites” prior tp entering a comment. Write your entry, enter “post comment”, & wait for the thread to refresh. If your post does not show up,,,,DON’T panic. Just close out the browser & wait a bit…Maybe 15 minutes. Take a break…have some lunch… pop a beer or brew a coffee….. Anything else other than reposting the same post again.

In a bit, open the browser and pull up the favorites list. The spot you saved should be the last favorite on the list. Click it & if your post has either gone through or AD REM has found it,,,,,It will show up at that saved spot. If it isn’t there, go do something else for a bit more…read other threads & check again later.

Instant gratification is reserved for other functions in our lives…..LOL

FWIW…Works like a charm for me. Should work for you too.

31. keystonekon says:

I’m sorry for the duplicate posts. I only post once. It just happens. It’s either not posted, or once or twice. I hate it when it’s not posted or duplicated.

My iPad hates me and so does WP! Hubby has set me up to automatically sign in. He’s got a Masters in Computer Science, among his many accomplishments and talents. .

32. keystonekon says:

33. keystonekon says:

34. keystonekon says:

35. keystonekon says:

OMG, quadrupled it!

36. meerkat says:

test

37. meerkat says:

Holy cow!!! It worked.

38. parleyvous says:

Can you keep us informed on progress? My son and I cannot post or like.

39. I have a free word press account…
    My like button recently stopped working..
    Around the time there was the increase in problems here ..I dont go to my wordpress blog very much but i went there last night looking around,( I wanted to change some account settings) Thats when i saw i had a pending change of email request? I dont know what that was about, so I cancelled it..
    Just now.. I came here to see if that had any effect on the like button .. And all i know is that it is now working.. So maybe some might want to go to their wordpress account settings and see if they have any notifications..