Independence Day Reflections

A suggestion for this post came a few days ago from one of our Treepers. I think it is a wonderful idea, especially for today, and during these times.

I will just copy here a portion of her letter to me.

My friend, Jack is the father of four sons… and at the end of an email about his sadness over the dismantling of the statues of Washington and Lincoln, he mentioned that he and his boys had just been listening to “The Ballad of Davy Crockett,” and then he commented that “pretty soon, they’ll come for that, too.”

They very well could.

It made me think….what if they come for it all—all of our stories and poems and songs and books and movies, but each one of us could save something….what would it be? (Like Dolly Madison saved the portrait of Washington from the burning White House).

So, I wonder if Treepers would contribute to an “American cultural treasure chest” by suggesting the title of a poem, story, book, movie, song, or even of a photo or painting that was an important part of his or her own growing up. I’d be glad to collect all the suggestions together into something Jack and other parents and grandparents could share with their children and grandchildren as a way of connecting them to American history and culture—through the eyes of ordinary American people.

I was just reading …“Casey at the bat,” and I would definitely save that. It was the first poem that ever made me cry. And the book my mother read to me over and over again when I was very little, “The Little Engine that Could.” And Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol.” And all of the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals. And “Gone With the Wind.”

I wonder what bits of your own cultural history you would save?

If people are planning to be with friends and family this 4th of July weekend, the question might be a great conversation starter.

So, I pass on this idea, and a few thoughts.

If it is worth saving, it is worth sharing, teaching, discussing, promoting. Lots of us are feeling that we should do something to stop the insanity going on in this country right now, but not sure exactly where to start or what to do.

At 62, with no real talents except cooking and pissing people off left and right, I have now reached the Don’t Give a Red Hot Damn stage in my life, and I feel I do not have a lot to lose in the battles to come, which for me have mostly been fought on social media. Should things escalate I would imagine that there are more than a few cantankerous old people who are also at that stage.

But I do have one other talent and ability, perhaps the most important of my life. I can teach, and I love to, although I am not a professional and have no degree in teaching. I have tutored my own and other kids along the way, and now I have grandchildren.

Those grandchildren will learn things from me. It is time I gave more thought to what exactly I want to spend time teaching them. Of course I have always had books here for them, and my eight year old granddaughter, who loves to read, just asked me to get some longer books to keep here for her. I bought Heidi and Swiss Family Robinson a few months ago. I also keep children’s religious stories and books, and since she had her First Holy Communion recently,  a Bible for her, and some more advanced books dealing with her studies to prepare her for the Sacrament.

So, my point is this. Education and knowledge and influence are weapons and we have the ability to use them. I have a lot of time with my grandchildren, and today is the day to make a little more time for important things, and I don’t just mean books.

I’ve taught some of the kids some cooking basics, as well as started teaching them to bake breads. My husband is a genius at fixing any and everything, and a very good mechanic. He has always taken the time to answer the kids’ questions and let them help him with his projects, and fixing their own broken things.

What talents, skills, and knowledge can you pass on? I might even think about volunteering as a tutor in inner city schools. There are lots of places that people with good intent can pass on what we have to share.

Happy 4th of July Treepers!

Added note: Please read the post. There is a reason for it. It isn’t another post for political rage, sarcasm, anger, and insults. The Treeper who suggested this is going to compose a listing of all your ideas that might be shared. Do we have to make her sort through rants?

This entry was posted in Celebrations, Election 2020, History, Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

774 Responses to Independence Day Reflections

1. Bill Writes says:

Robert Anson Heinlein’s – The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Western Movies – The Duke in The Shootist – “I won’t be wronged. I won’t be insulted. I won’t be laid a-hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
    Willie & Joe Cartoons
    The Gettysburg Address
    Milton Friedman – Free to Choose
    My Father
    The Declaration of Independence, perhaps the most important words ever drafted – “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

2. flyoverfuji says:

There is a song called “Old Days” by the band, Chicago. I would save that.

• Kenji says:

Yep. As an early-Chicago … Terry Kath Chicago … aficionado… I second your entry. Chicago I thru V … maybe VI … archived.

Oh! And don’t put ANY of these treasures in the hands of The Smithsonian! Their new ‘black’ Director is promising to erase and/or sequester everything “white” in the Smithsonians vault. America’s History should never fall into any racists hands. ALL of our History shall be shared.

• I Hear You Now says:

Kenji

Do you have link(s) to back up this statement?

“Their new ‘black’ Director is promising to erase and/or sequester everything “white” in the Smithsonians vault.”

3. crikey9 says:

To Kill A Mockingbird both novel and movie

4. The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey by Rinker Buck. Nonfiction story about the odyssey of 2 brothers and 3 Mules who travel the Oregon trail route in a renovated covered wagon, recounting the history and experience of the Pioneers.

5. Bogeyfree says:

Read and learn why we call them “The Greatest Generation” and never forget what it took and what they did.

6. Nancy Drew Mysteries, Golden Books, all the fairy tales (Snow White, Cinderella, etc), playing outside all summer, friends, tag, baseball, dolls, picnics with our cousins, Saturday morning catechism, my favorite teacher Miss Bozak (4th grade)……

My father used to say this “prayer” for us when we went to bed:
    Now I lay me down to sleep,
    I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
    If I die before I wake,
    Give my toes to Uncle Jake.

Then he would say,
    I’m a poet,
    But I don’t know it.

I had a great father! Great family man, destined to raise women…had three daughters plus was the substitute father for his younger sister because his father died…he was only 16 had to drop of school. Took care of his mother…worked hard, blue collar…loved his church (Sacred Heart Catholic), one of the original founders, encouraged education and had a house full of books for his kids, wonderful family man…just a terrific person.

7. BucketheadBaptist says:

Fantasy artist Chris Achilleos’ rendition of Captain America…

Looks like a Star Spangled Lady Liberty and all I can say is God Bless America when I see it.

• stripmallgrackle says:

Inspiring image on several levels.

Bucketheadbaptist. Interesting name. It covers a lot of territory. 314 Bucket albums so far, according to Wikipedia. Have you found time to get through the entire catalog? I confess that I have not. Twisterlend is a favorite. I think it’s the last track (who can can remember the countless names?) that I’m sure is an homage to EVH, and very much Buckethead’s riff on the style. I’m convinced he simply listened, inhaled, and did it. Ditto any style, artist, idea, melody, sound, or genre he’s in the mood to noodle on. His brain is connected directly to his guitar. (This makes sense since his bio sometimes identifies him as a robot.) The head jam must be running 24/7 no matter what Buckethead is doing. He probably does it in his sleep too.

Happy Independence Day, 2020.

8. AnotherView says:

I’m going to add two Southern items since the South has been under attack again. The book Gone With The Wind, along with the movie. Best portrayal of the destruction of the South during the War of Northern aggression, the breakup and rebuilding of a society. The Great Seal of the Confederacy also should be saved. The seal was made by the maker of the Great Seal of England, thus is doubly historically significant. And anything with George Washington on it should be saved.
    Deo Vindice.

• Boston Bean says:

John Greenleaf Whittier’s poem “Barbara Frietchie” which portrays an elderly Unionist who put her Union Jack out her window–and Stonewall Jackson’s magnanimity. The work honors the loyalties of both North and South. Rhyming couplets make it a very accessible poem for young children.

• Judah426 says:

I was 10 when I read Gone with the Wind for the first time (4 times in all). I was absolutely mesmerized by the beauty of the South as described by Miss Mitchell. This story is part of our history and the American Fabric. To do away with all vestige of this time in our history is despicable.

• stripmallgrackle says:

I arrived in San Antonio November 2019. I took the Alamo tour the day after I got to town. I talked with the tour guide afterwards. The Civil War entered the conversation, and I asked him what Southerners call it today. He smiled, and said, “That would be the War of Northern Aggression”, which made me smile as well. Some things never change.

9. helmhood says:

I found a great video of Marina McBride performing live the immortal Independence Day.

NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE OUR INDEPENDENCE

10. ed357 says:

“Great American Fighter Pilots of World War II” by Robert D Loomis…..

That book gave me the inspiration to fly…….I became a Naval Aviator and had the honor of serving our great country for 20 years.

Happy Independence Day…..!

11. Bogeyfree says:

Read and learn how with virtually no real space program, America put a man on the moon in less than 10 years. Amazing feat and ingenuity, showing what America is capable of.

12. maggiemoowho says:

I’d save this very site, The Conservative Treehouse. People will need the truth of what happened in this country, not the made up version that the Democrats, BLM and the MSM will portray.

🇺🇸Happy Birthday America🇺🇸

13. Cthemfly says:

This is a wonderful thread. I’ve read most, not all, of the posts so if I’m repeating, please forgive me. And speaking of “wonderful” I cling to a movie, when movies were art, “It’s a Wonderful Life.” That movie for me captures a time when centralized government hadn’t corrupted our communities, our sense of community, our family life, our schools. It was a time when government and leftism hadn’t infested our churches and our civic institutions. A time when we could care less about DC, and more about our families, neighbors and our neighborhood. A time when society was structured around the subsidiary institutions like church, Boy Scouts, etc. A time when charity came from within us and not in the malignant form of government handouts.

• oowawa says:

“It’s a Wonderful Life” is a great choice for this inspired topic. I would add another movie that deals with the subject of redemption: “Tender Mercies” with Robert Duvall. And to add a song: “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,” by The Band.

14. Publius2016 says:

15. Range Ryder says:

All of Norman Rockwell paintings. Also add the Wysocki paintings as well.

16. suburbanwoman says:

About a year or so ago I began building a family library for my family by purchasing books that tell the TRUTH about current events happening NOW in our country and how it all relates to our country’s history. I have informed my adult children and my grandchildren that I am doing this so they will have the information necessary to teach their children and their children’s children the TRUTH.

• Jan Pauliny-Toth says:

You may like to scan them, put them on multiple separated media…when they come for them, let them have your paperbacks, hide the bound ones. Hide the datasets. Steganography can hide a novel in a few pictures.
      Make sure to have a copy of Fahrenheit 451…

17. Rock Knutne says:

My grandfather came to the glorious United States of America as a teenager. He left his family in Poland and arrived with 25 cents in his pocket. He told me he cried when he saw the American flag at Ellis Island. He was 14.

I thank God every day that he made that journey in 1901. Thanks Dziadzia!

I recently recorded and saved all the old Maverick episodes. My grandson is 4, he loves watching them with me. It’s amazing the display of honor and respect shown for American values and each other, in almost every episode.

The Maverick brother’s weren’t great with guns, they used wit and guile but weren’t afraid to use their weapons when necessary.

Happy 4th of July all you Treepers!
    You and Sundance make every day a joy to be alive in the greatest country on earth.

M🇺🇸A🇺🇸G🇺🇸A

• fangdog says:

Every American today including Blacks should thank and be grateful for their ancestors for making it to America no matter how they came. All it takes is think of the alternative. Seriously, does anyone with half a brain wish their ancestors never made it to America?

18. Little Berkeley Conservative says:

Our neighborhood is having a 4th of July parade at 11am.

Don’t tell Gavin! Sssssshh!

I hear there might be a little protest at Gavin’s vineyard in Napa later today. One can only hope!

Happy Independence Day All

• Little Berkeley Conservative says:

What I mean to say is the Independence Day parades and festivities must continue, so the youth learn how this great country started!

• sturmudgeon says:

LBC.. I was invited to go on a flag walk around town with the PD this morning, but I can’t walk yet. ☹️” “Your comment sounds as though are a bit older than 2.. lol, and Happy 4th!

19. czarowniczy says:

How about some Founder’s quotes that ring as true today as they did over 200 years ago:

“I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves ; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson, Letters of Thomas Jefferson

Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. John Adams

Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide. John Adams

I won’t post it for obvious reasons but if I could I’d post the group picture of my middle son’s wedding. We all showed up, 5 generations on our side ranging from 93 to just over 3 months and four generations on his new wife’s side. The group consisted of Filipinos, English, Germans and Poles. most 1st and 2nd generation Americans, and some who’d been naturalized, all who’d worked hard and made a place here.

Today is my youngest son’s birthday, he was born on July 4th, 1976. That was a Bicentennial Minute.

• Judah426 says:

Add to that this quote by Samuel Adams.
      “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

• J says:

Id like to add Theodore Roosevelt’s “Man in the Arena”. My 10th grade government teacher made us all learn this quote verbatim. I remember it to this day, 40 years later. Ive always tried to live up to these words. They had a profound impact on my life. It has defined my life. It portrays a sentiment that is lost in todays narcissistic orgy of consumerism, greed, hypocrisy and sanctimony.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

20. ms Idaho says:

Fred Waring – Songs of Freedom album
    Robert Shaw Chorale – especially Amazing Grace, Battle Cry of Freedom albums
    Mormon Tabernacle Choir – almost too many to list. God Bless America, Songs of the Civil War & Stephen Foster favorites, Songs of the North & South

You probably have more great music…

21. caldeplorable says:

If it isn’t already too late, because all copies have been burned, I’d save Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer.

22. caldeplorable says:

• Risa says:

They still exist and can be purchased!

My daughter homeschools and has read them to my oldest twin granddaughters. She explains the context of the times, and tells them how Mr, Clemens believed slavery was wrong.

Their favorite part was where Tom Sawyer gives his pain medicine medicine to Peter the cat. 😹🙀 . They howled with laughter!

23. JaimeInTexas says:

So many novels, storues, poems, and movies,
    The movie The Song Of The South. Was it the first, the foreshadow, of these days of our Cultural Revolution?
    As Robin suggested, the original Looney Toons. And spot on with Lewis’s sci-fi trilogy.
    Aesop’s fables.
    Grimm Brothers fables.
    Up From Slavery.I
    There Roads To The Alamo.
    Huckleberry Finn , Tom Sawyer, Moby Dick, The Old Man And The Sea, Last Of The Mohicans, …
    Any book on how-to build things, from pinewood cars to camping fire.

• sturmudgeon says:

Jaime: Yes! The Aesop’s Fables, Grimm Bros., Jeffrey Farnol’s ‘The Amateur Gentleman & The Broad Highway’ (my Mum’s parents came from England), The (old) Books of Knowledge (from the 1940’s) were just a few books we kids absorbed.. Kipling’s poem “IF” has always been beloved.. Thanks Mum & Dad, for filling our childhood with books!

Mum had a favorite quotation which was displayed in our home in the period of 1945 onward, and it goes:
      Welcome Guest, Be at your ease
      Get up when you’re ready
      Go to bed when you please.
      We’re happy to share with you such as we’ve got,
      The leaks in the roof, the soup in the pot
      You don’t have to thank us, or laugh at our jokes,
      Sit deep, and come often,
      You’re one of the folks.

And all through the 40’s, we had pots and pans all over the kitchen floor, catching the “leaks from the roof”. We didn’t have a lot… but we ALWAYS had BOOKS.
      Next week I will be 85, and healthy, happy, and Very Thankful to have had the love of reading encouraged at a young age… cannot thank my Parents enough!

• sturmudgeon says:

Three Roads To The Alamo. lol

• k9american says:

The Deerslayer

24. Norma Jean says:

McGuffey’s First Electric Reader, if you can find it. My mom gave it to me for my 5th birthday. It teaches Phonic Method and Word Method. It also includes the Flag and Forth of July. But, the most important lesson I learned from this little book was my first poem, which has stayed with me throughout life:
    When the stars at set of sun watch you from on high, When the morning has begun, think the Lord is nigh.
    All you do and all you say, He can see and hear: When you work and when you play, Think the Lord is near.
    All your joys and griefs he knows, counts each falling tear. When to him you tell your woes, Know the Lord will hear.

Thank you Menagerie and Sundance for all you do and give.. for keeping our eyes open and minds filled with truth. God Bless you both. Happy Independence Day.

25. I would recommend all of James Fenimore Cooper’s books. The writing style can be hard to get used to, but is well worth the effort. There is a LOT to be learned from his books.
    Definitely Gone With the Wind….which I read at 11 years old whilst living in Australia…that began my love of American History.
    Any anything by David McCullough, but particularly 1776 and John Adams.
    All of these books challenge you to see things through the characters’ eyes and think through the circumstances of life at the time.

Just my 2cents worth

26. spinartist says:

Ralph Waldo Emerson – Self Reliance

27. ronmerrill says:

Ben Franklins diary
    Twain
    Buffalo Bill
    Little Big Man
    The Harvard Classics

28. Kb says:

Also celebrating today my 5th great grandfather who fought for the 13th Pennsylvania Regiment in the revolution. His regiment was one of the last to safely retreat from Long Island to Manhattan, which allowed the war to continue. Though I can’t completely verify there is a possibility that he crossed the Delaware with Washington. Also a story in our family that was recorded by his grandson is that he told his grandson that he witnessed General George Washington kneeling in prayer at Valley Forge. To think of what he went through vs what we go through today is a truly humbling feeling.

29. Sharon says:

I would like to preserve footage and fragrances from the days when Portland, OR was enjoyed and known as the City of Roses.

….when rose bushes flourished along so many sidewalks and visitors to the city could walk and walk and walk – as long as their stamina and interest allowed them, enjoying the roses.

The night before last was the 37th consecutive night of violence, burning, destroying and looting in Portland.

Portland, like Minneapolis, used to be a very beautiful city. Very beautiful. Current day Portland is violence and garbage but it should not therefore be discarded. My Independence Day desire is that the beautiful and historic cities of these United States of America would be restored.

We had ridden the Empire Builder (Great Northern passenger train) for a day and a half from eastern Montana in the early 1950s, en route to Los Angeles to visit family. We had an overnight stay in Portland at the home of my parents’ friends. I was about 7 or 8 years old. I remember that beautiful neighborhood. Wonderful sidewalks. More roses than I ever knew existed on the face of the earth. It was just beautiful. The roses still are.

• fangdog says:

Cities as Portland will never again be beautiful as long as governed by incompetent libtard democrats.

• Sharon says:

Obviously.

• southernblondesite says:

My family ancestors go back many generations in Portland, Oregon. My father’s family were original German settlers who owned 100’s of acres of orchards and farmland in Clackamas County a suburb outside of Portland. They would turn over in their graves at what has become of the VERY conservative, beautiful, blue collar town they grew up in.

As teenagers both my parents owned horses and had a great love for them. My mom passed down her copies of her horse novels to me which I avidly read as a young girl before they bought me my own horse as a preteen.

Black Beauty, My Friend Flicka and General Jim were read so many times by me I about wore them out! My parents have passed but they are some of my most precious possessions. Great, inspiring novels for young kids! I will cherish them forever and pass them down for future generations.

Happy birthday America and have a great Fourth Treepers!

30. poochgut says:

The duke

31. Patriotic Sean says:

“Not Yours to Give” by Davy Crockett

I have read this many times over the years with so many of my government and economics students.

32. F.D.R. in Hell says:

• JG3 says:

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
      If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

John 8: 31-36 KJV

• sturmudgeon says:

Those certainly look like Norman Rockwell’s work.

• boogywstew says:

Jim Edgerton is the gentleman at the center of the “Freedom of Speech”:Rockwell painting. I lived in West Arlington, Vermont from 1962 – 1965 and he was my 4H leader. Rockwell, born in NYC, lived in West Arlington , Vermont from 1939 to 1953.

33. Talk to the hand Progs says:

In the Borough of Waterford PA is the only statue of George Washington wearing the uniform of a major in the British Army (Virginia Militia). I will not been toppled because those attempting to do so aren’t going to get very far without serious repercussions.

The young George Washington travelled in the winter of 1753 to the French Fort Le Boeuf (Waterford, PA) at the southern end of a 15 mile portage from Fort Presque Isle ( Erie, PA). on Lake Erie, Why were the French there you ask? Because you can paddle a canoe from Waterford PA, in the northwest panhandle of PA to New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico.

He delivered a letter from the Governor of Virginia to the French commander ordering him to abandon the forts which, at the time, were thought to be on the territory of Virginia, which claimed land to the Ohio river ( the actual position of the line of latitude defining the western boundary of the Colony of Pennsylvania wasn’t known, so that is why he was actually in PA). The French treated him with courtesy and dismissed him. The French politely refused to leave.

This was the prelude to the French and Indian War. A year later in July 1754, Washington was forced to surrender to a superior French and Indian force at Fort Necessity in Fayette County, PA. He returned to Virginia with his force a French and Indian War commenced.

I consider this the pivotal moment in American history. Once the French were defeated and left North America, the British colonies really didn’t have a need for the British. It took less than 13 years after the end of the war in 1763 to leave the British Empire.

At the center of these events is the Father of our country, George Washington. I truly believe George Washington is a symbol of Devine intervention.

May God bless all of you and your families on this Independence Day!

34. Anna says:

I have never posted, but have followed this wonderful site. I would like to add two movies that warm the heart: “Our Vines Have Tender Grapes” and “Sunday Dinner for A Soldier,” celebrating tender hearts and the enduring spirit of ordinary Americans.

35. AndrewJackson says:

I am sure someone already posted this, but I absolutely love this story telling of the Star Spangled Banner Origin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxGNQE5ZLA

36. BlueFalcon says:

I teach 2nd grade in Florida (Public School), and we actually have a great reading curriculum that incorporates a lot of these ideas. We did a unit on Fairy Tales and Tall Tales that included: John Henry, Paul Bunyan, Casey Jones, and Pecos Bill. Other units taught: The War of 1812, Westward Expansion, and the U.S. Civil War.

• skochnsoda@yahoo.com says:

Yes, Pecos Bill !!! Quite a cowboy down in Texas! “And when he caught those crooked villains, Pecos knocked out all their fillings, and that ‘s the reason that there’s gold in them there hills.” More comment on Pecos below; just discovered your comment after making mine below.

• sturmudgeon says:

Don’t forget the “Rush Revere” books… History “easy read”.

37. merry says:

what would I save if my house were being destroyed? well, after all of us plus Roxy cat and the working guns and ammo are out, I would go back in for a copy of Benet’s “John Brown’s Body” can’t do without it.
    “…this is the last, this is the last. the last of the wine and the white corn meal, the last high fiddle singing the reel, the last of the silk with the Paris label, the last blood thoroughbred safe in the stable…the door will swing on a broken bolt, the thoroughbred give birth to a jackass colt…the waiting for news with tight shut fists, the strange blurred names in the battle lists… and dropped his hat. Yanks come get it he said, and spat. and then the answering volley came…”

then if time allowed I’d go back again for grandad’s civil war gun (with sheathed bayonet still attached) and feather picture of flag held by eagle that is over fireplace mantel. probably also grab son’s of the american revolution certificates for John Canan and Jake Reiger

soon as dust settles start rebuilding.

38. mr.piddles says:

In the spirit of the holiday, and in light of our National History undergoing a full frontal assault by Dark Forces…

…I’m going to suggest the Revolutionary-era children’s book “My Brother Sam Is Dead”, by James and Christopher Collier.

Preserve and teach the history!!!

39. LizzieinTexas says:

Preserve and write down your family ancestry. So much has been lost from our own personal history and, from someone who has done the work, it is a long process but so worth the time and effort.

40. Judy Miller says:

After 9-11 God gave me a project. Although I had no experience in any aspect of moviemaking, I felt called to make a new version of the story of Mary Draper Ingles. Her memories of being taken captive by Shawnee warriors in 1755 and then escaping near Big Bone Lick in Kentucky and following the rivers through almost 500 miles of wilderness to her home in what is now Radford, Virginia, had already inspired millions. God guided me, my family, and thousands of acquaintances and old and new friends to a result that earned 4 international film awards. Even more rewarding were the hundreds of people who would confide in me after events that Mary’s story had been an inspiration that helped them through very difficult passages in their own lives. Since then, funds have been raised and two wonderful statues of Mary have been erected in KY and VA (hopefully not to be destroyed in the current madness). A descendant of Mary Draper Ingles wrote a book appropriate for younger children. You should be able to get your local library to obtain a copy of my film—“The Captives” if it does not have access; the movie is sold on Amazon or directly from me. I have fewer than 100 DVDs remaining and do not plan to reorder. Remember that this film was made by a schoolteacher with an extremely low budget and just let the story speak to your heart.

41. The Mineral Owners Tax Roll from Midland County Texas.

All those Americans “Own The Mineral Estate” Exxon , Chevron etal are just tenant farmers who produce the gas and oil.

42. skochnsoda@yahoo.com says:

Ok, my brother, sisters and I back In the fifties were gifted the 78 RPM record set of Roy Rogers’ Pecos Bill, with songs by the Sons of the Pioneers. A great story told with as much absence of PC as could possibly be told, and it needs to be heard loud and clear by any child today. A Western setting of course, so it has those wonderful pistols and rifles in it that all of us wished we had. Playing cowboys and Indians outside in our little Wisconsin town of 10,000, my older brother was always Roy Rogers, older sister was Dale Evans and they told me I was Gabby Hayes. I didn’t know any better. At least they didn’t make me play Roy’s Wonder Dog Bullet.

Anything Roy Rogers was great to listen to or watch, and Pecos Bill (available on YouTube for now, but probably not for long) is a combination of storytelling, song, sadness and laughter but great for imaginations of young children. Highly recommend! I was able to obtain VHS tapes for my son but don’t know if it’s available on CD or digitally. This was Disney cartooning at its best.

If you do listen to it, you’ll find out “how the Painted Desertl got its name.” Very un PC and we need a lot more of this kind of fun.

43. I find the image of an 80 years old Irving Berlin singing “God Bless America” rather touching.

A great and always GRATEFUL immigrant, he shared his gift of Music with all.

44. I'd Like To See Them Try says:

I second the painting of George Washington kneeling next to his horse at Valley Forge, during the winter of 1777-1778, praying for Divine guidance. I would also like to add the song “Colors” by the Oak Ridge Boys, as well as the Holy Bible and the Colt 1911.

45. Tom Moeller says:

When will we find the collective outrage to stop the destruction in lieu of saving from destruction?

I struggle to identify the criteria by which I will, with like minded Americans, stand between the destroyers and their targets and commence the comeuppance to the anti-american children running amok in our land. Time outs don’t work… The time for corporal punishment has arrived.
    But how to dish it out without becoming worse than the vandals?

• Joan says:

Song: This is my country
      This is my country, land of my birth
      This is my country, grandest on earth
      I pledge thee my allegiance
      America, the bold
      For this is my country, to have and to hold

Series: The Little Rascals

46. daylight58 says:

James Michener’s “Centennial” – including the miniseries

47. Zephyrbreeze says:

The Path to 9/11 – oh, too bad, it’s already LOST to history because the POWER THAT BE deemed it too accusatory of BILL CLINTON and other minions of the Depp state. A few copies still exist, but look at those prices! $145 !!!

48. Aggie Bane says:

The books of Albert Payson Terhune, especially his novels about dogs. Designed for adult readers in the 19 teens and twenties, they became popular with pre teens for decades. Lad: A Dog was best known.