Independence Day Reflections

A suggestion for this post came a few days ago from one of our Treepers. I think it is a wonderful idea, especially for today, and during these times.

I will just copy here a portion of her letter to me.

My friend, Jack is the father of four sons… and at the end of an email about his sadness over the dismantling of the statues of Washington and Lincoln, he mentioned that he and his boys had just been listening to “The Ballad of Davy Crockett,” and then he commented that “pretty soon, they’ll come for that, too.”

They very well could.

It made me think….what if they come for it all—all of our stories and poems and songs and books and movies, but each one of us could save something….what would it be? (Like Dolly Madison saved the portrait of Washington from the burning White House).

So, I wonder if Treepers would contribute to an “American cultural treasure chest” by suggesting the title of a poem, story, book, movie, song, or even of a photo or painting that was an important part of his or her own growing up. I’d be glad to collect all the suggestions together into something Jack and other parents and grandparents could share with their children and grandchildren as a way of connecting them to American history and culture—through the eyes of ordinary American people.

I was just reading …“Casey at the bat,” and I would definitely save that. It was the first poem that ever made me cry. And the book my mother read to me over and over again when I was very little, “The Little Engine that Could.” And Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol.” And all of the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals. And “Gone With the Wind.”

I wonder what bits of your own cultural history you would save?

If people are planning to be with friends and family this 4th of July weekend, the question might be a great conversation starter.

So, I pass on this idea, and a few thoughts.

If it is worth saving, it is worth sharing, teaching, discussing, promoting. Lots of us are feeling that we should do something to stop the insanity going on in this country right now, but not sure exactly where to start or what to do.

At 62, with no real talents except cooking and pissing people off left and right, I have now reached the Don’t Give a Red Hot Damn stage in my life, and I feel I do not have a lot to lose in the battles to come, which for me have mostly been fought on social media. Should things escalate I would imagine that there are more than a few cantankerous old people who are also at that stage.

But I do have one other talent and ability, perhaps the most important of my life. I can teach, and I love to, although I am not a professional and have no degree in teaching. I have tutored my own and other kids along the way, and now I have grandchildren.

Those grandchildren will learn things from me. It is time I gave more thought to what exactly I want to spend time teaching them. Of course I have always had books here for them, and my eight year old granddaughter, who loves to read, just asked me to get some longer books to keep here for her. I bought Heidi and Swiss Family Robinson a few months ago. I also keep children’s religious stories and books, and since she had her First Holy Communion recently,  a Bible for her, and some more advanced books dealing with her studies to prepare her for the Sacrament.

So, my point is this. Education and knowledge and influence are weapons and we have the ability to use them. I have a lot of time with my grandchildren, and today is the day to make a little more time for important things, and I don’t just mean books.

I’ve taught some of the kids some cooking basics, as well as started teaching them to bake breads. My husband is a genius at fixing any and everything, and a very good mechanic. He has always taken the time to answer the kids’ questions and let them help him with his projects, and fixing their own broken things.

What talents, skills, and knowledge can you pass on? I might even think about volunteering as a tutor in inner city schools. There are lots of places that people with good intent can pass on what we have to share.

Happy 4th of July Treepers!

Added note: Please read the post. There is a reason for it. It isn’t another post for political rage, sarcasm, anger, and insults. The Treeper who suggested this is going to compose a listing of all your ideas that might be shared. Do we have to make her sort through rants?

This entry was posted in Celebrations, Election 2020, History, Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

774 Responses to Independence Day Reflections

1. Lauren Grant says:

Today i will share the thing i most treasure: the American Flag. It will be hung over my front door and i have purchased a bunch of smaller flags which I will stck in the ground in front of every home in my small town of 331 residents. My small way of sharing this symbol of our beloved Country will be followed by our volunteer Fire Department who will drive down the Main Road with their FD Band playing patriotic songs. I don’t have kids or grandkids so some of the kids from our school will join me in making sure everyone has a flag in their yard.
    Happy Independence Day fellow treepers!

• Jim Brownlow says:

The Flag , OLD GLORY.
      The rereleased, HD, recolorized movie, “SHEFFEY” now streaming free through the VCY app until July 19th. Today marks the 200th Anniversary of Robert Sheffey’s birthday. He was a largely unknown Methodist Circuit rider in rural, SW Virginia who greatly impacted many lives. His story is inspiring and amazing.

• Lynda Durrant says:

The stories of Uncle Remus are all but gone. He’s out of print and now Disneyland is closing the Song of the South ride in Anaheim. Uncle Remus was a slave who told brilliant stories about clever Brer Rabbit. Classic Americana. The Uncle Remus stories need a revival.

• sedge2z says:

“Uncle Remus”, Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit are classic life lessons that are as important as “Aesop’s Fables”. Can we even find Disney’s ‘Song of the South’ anymore?
        Uncle Remus was a kind and wise old soul who was a refuge for the children.
        My adult kids say it is terribly racist and have nothing to do with it. I never saw the characters that way.

“Zippity do dah, zippity yay…..My oh my what a wonderful day.
        Plenty of sunshine headed my way….Zippity do dah, zippity day.
        Mr. Bluebird’s on my shoulder. It’s the truth. It’s actual.
        Everything is satisfactual.
        Zippity do dah, zippity yay. Wonderful feeling, wonderful day!”

Mama would read my Little Golden Book of ‘Little Black Sambo’. We liked to look at the bright silk colours that Sambo wore. He was from India and Tigers tried to steal his beautiful clothes, but they argued and ran around until they turned into butter (ghee). The story was not racist, but now it is gone.

2. andy says:

The Pony Express, telegraphs, ma bell, independent journalism.

• andy says:

Im doing what I can to make it easy for individuals to document their views through internet video communications.

• bodieisland says:

Now that is something I could get into. My sons have been after me to write down all the stories I told them growing up. At 70 yrs old that’s not an easy task, where to begin?

• sedge2z says:

Andy, where to begin? and where to safely store / edit all these memories?
        I don’t want to lose them in Cloud.
        Your idea to help us document our experiences is a wonderful idea.

• Jerry Maier says:

Fond memories of books by Jack London and James Fenimore Cooper. How can we not promote White Fang or Natty Bumppo? Also, an excellent movie from Disney in 1966, “Follow Me, Boys!” with Fred MacMurray, Vera Miles, Lillian Gish, Charlie Ruggles and Kurt Russell. An excellent story about leading by example. Heartwarming and fun!

3. Sam says:

Ray Charles’s version of “America the Beautiful.”
    “Shenandoah” by anyone
    Works of Mark Twain
    All Booth Tarkington’s books
    “Where the Red Fern Grows”
    “Old Yeller” and “Little Arliss”
    The songs of Stephen Foster
    Johnny Horton
    Johnny Cash
    John Wayne’s entire catalog (even the bad ones)
    The Song of the South
    Teddy Roosevelt’s “The Winning of the West”
    The stories of folk heroes like Crockett, Bigfoot Wallace, John Henry, and mythical figures like Paul Bunyan and Febold Feboldson
    Poems of Longfellow, Dickinson, Poe, Frost
    Just scratching the surface.
    They want to take it all away. We mustn’t let them. If we compromise on even one item of our heritage, they’ll steal it all.

• steph_gray says:

You beat me to Booth Tarkington! I still own some of my mom’s copies of the Penrod series, and Seventeen. Cancel Culture got to these decades ago. But they’re sweetly witty, great stories…

4. Sun Yat Sen says:

“On Liberty” by John Stuart Mill. Not written by an American, but was an influential book in college eons ago. Not an easy read by today’s standards, but an important one. It seemed that every sentence mattered, and every word was carefully chosen. It’s efficiency caused me to reread paragraphs and pages over and over again to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I’d doubt any of the protesters have ever read (and understood) this book.

You can read the Wiki page about it and there is a free e-book to gain a sense of what I’m talking about.

• gz9gjg says:

De Tocqueville – “Democracy in America”

McCullough – “The Path Between the Seas”

Landes – “The Wealth and Poverty of Nations”

• P says:

Just copy/paste to address bar and save pdf to your computer:

“Liberty” by John Stuart Mill (37 pgs)
      earlymoderntexts.com/assets/pdfs/mill1859_1.pdf

“On Liberty” by John Stuart Mill (109 pgs)
      eet.pixel-online.org/files/etranslation/original/Mill,%20On%20Liberty.pdf

5. BobC says:

Include anything and everything with Mark Twain’s name on it!

A complete collection of the dance sequences in ALL of Fred Astaire’s movies, but especially those with Ginger Rogers. Will ever see his like again?

Also a tribute to ‘The Cowboy Philosopher,’ Will Rogers. This quote from when he met Henry Ford is prescient: “It’s too early to say whether you hurt us or helped us, but you sure didn’t leave us where you found us!” Maybe a section on the Model T might also work.

6. atomichillbilly says:

Why are you wondering what part of our history and culture we should save from the leftist mob?

We should be planning how we are going to remove the totalitarian scourge from our country, institutions, and the entire planet.

They’re attacking America.
    Let’s clobber them.
    THAT is the American way.

• old white guy says:

That is the only answer needed. Drive them into the ground.

• eagle931 says:

Amen! Not one inch back.

• Paprika says:

We should be doing both. Removing the scourge and protecting/saving our history and culture. Those are both important “arms” of the “body” needed in the battle to save America. Arms, legs, spine/backbone, heart, mind, soul, stomach, ears, eyes, mouth, etc. must all work in one concerted “Patriot body” of American Spirit, know how, and can do attitude.

• harrietht3 says:

Amen to that, Paprika.
        The two-pronged attack, the one-two punch, shape up or ship out, a heavy dose of God’s law till they’re quaking in their boots, acknowledging that they’re (like we all are) sinners in the hands of an angry God whose heart nevertheless yearns for our repentance.

Jonathan Edwards.

The film “A Man Called Peter,” in which Catherine Marshall gives a proper tongue lashing to a group of high-schoolers, the girls among them each trying to rival their dates for crudeness and vulgarity.

Here is the sermon Peter Marshall preached to mid-shipmen at the Naval Academy on December 7, 1941, which is depicted in the film:

John Wayne movies, “Angel and the Badman” for one.
        Shane, with Alan Ladd.
        Ben Hur.
        The Ten Commandments.
        Yankee Doodle Dandy — James Cagney

From every mountainside let freedom ring.

• walt39 says:

See you out there, Atom.

7. atomichillbilly says:

They’re attacking America.
    Let’s clobber them.
    THAT is the American way.

8. tigsmom says:

“The Children’s Book of Virtues”, Bennett, is not just for kids.

9. Diplorable Didah says:

Happy Fourth of July!

To commemorate the most important date in American history, In the immortal words (parody and paraphrasing) of our esteemed communist, socialist, marxist somali refugee congresswoman who practices the religion of peace from Minnesota: “Some white racist slave owning men did something.”

Yes they did! They gave their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor to create the most incredible country and political system that the world had ever seen.

Look for that description of the Revolutionary War to appear in future editions of Common Core history textbooks.

God Bless America!

10. nimrodman says:

Well, they’re coming after National Parks next

Because they’re “too white”, of course

… ABC reached out to National Park Service Acting Director David Vela
    “That tells me that we’ve got a lot of work to do,” Vela said.

Yes, we’ve “got a lot of work to do”, I’m sure

And I’m dead certain he said that with a furrowed brow of concern

I’m gonna speak in stereotypes here for a moment because there’s a nugget of truth in many stereotypes

No – I don’t mean “ALL” …
    No one ever means “ALL” …

(that’s a simple-minded straw man that’s asserted in response by idiots who just want to create an argument)

But what I do mean is “SOME” … or dare I say “MANY”?

Lemme tell ya – white yuppies are just ecstatic to pore over their outdoor gear magazines and sport their new “gucci” North Face and REI gear out on the trail.

I know – I’m white – I’ve hiked and camped with them – and I’ve bought a little gear myself

[many] Black people are more likely to be on the basketball court, having house parties, and blowing blunts while watching NFL and NBA, and [most] blacks are not as thrilled about North Face gear as Seattle and Portland white yuppies are (North Face and REI are FROM Seattle and Portland or thereabouts)

Why oh why oh why must troublemakers with statistics constantly insist that there be perfect proportional representation in all activities and pursuits and – well – in everything?

People like different sh*t
    Okay?

There used to be a website and probably a book and probably a follow-on line of stuff or later editions of books and stuff called “Stuff White People Like”

If I got the gist of it correct, it was a kinda satirical swipe at white people, particularly yuppies. It probably all in good fun and all

But check the basic premise: “White people like certain sh*t”

Get it? Get it?
    Ain’t that a scream?

So the flip side of that is that black people probably like certain sh*t too
    Same for Hispanic people, Asian people, Slavic people, Samoans – on down the line

So “we’ve got a lot of work to do”?
    Because there aren’t enough blacks and Hispanics out on the trails?

I don’t think so

If we were to “solve” that problem, then the next crisis du jour probably would be plummeting NBA viewership

Amirite or amirite?

Geez … don’t get me started

It’s this insistence in perfect proportional representation that’s a huge, huge evil, mark my words

Sundance and others have written about it at length, I’m not breaking any new ground here

I’m just pointing out that it’s an insidious evil that – instead of being killed in its crib – it’s mouthed thoughtlessly with nodding heads of approval by pretty much everyone. Unthinkingly.

But it’s a truly, truly evil supposition

It might even lead one to propose a huge, unworkable, unconstitutional, and invasive program to reconfigure racial proportions in the suburbs

… or something

National Parks Are Latest Target of Systemic Racism Claim in America

• nimrodman says:

… and thanks, Menagerie, for creating this special topical post and the stories you related to lead it off

I always enjoy your special posts

• highlander says:

Me too. And I like the tone too—–invitation, not coercion.

Just like Jesus–He invited people to do things. Never went running after them saying you gotta do thus and so….. Nope. He invited. Left us free to choose……

• alliwantissometruth says:

I second that Menagerie

• dd_sc says:

People like different sh*t Okay?

Absolutely, from that same article:

When asked if they share the same interests as people who visit national parks, 34 percent of black respondents and 27 percent of Hispanics said no, compared with only 11 percent of whites.”

Those numbers were ignored.

• Judith says:

Not to mention it is a statistical fact that black Anericans comprise a much smaller percentage of the population than white Americans. If they comprise 23 percent of park visitors it would seem proportional to their actual numbers in our society, in fact, that seems to be a fair representation.

I think the ENEmedia is engaged in a flat-out attack on Americans in general. We must band together as one American people, as the very fabric of our nation is at stake. If blacks are to be represented in greater numbers, they need only to start having more babies. Planned parenthood, and liberalism in general, has broken down our families.

• gz9gjg says:

“Just 23 percent of visitors to the parks were people of color”

Ummm, what percentage of the population are “people of color”? Or is that somehow not relevant?

• ms doodlebug says:

In my opinion, it is not relevant. We are each different. My life has been blessed by a friend, born three months before me. We were neighbors at birth. We grew up together, shared our playpens and toys with each other. We scratched scabs so we could press our skin together to become ‘blood sisters’. (Hey, we were kids. lol.) But we are night and day. She, a brunette with brown eyes, and I, blond with blue eyes. Her idea of a perfect vacation has always been sand and big waters. Mine is mountains, lakes, and forests. While she soaks in the sun and relaxes in luxury, I tent camp, hike, canoe. Today, she plants vegetables and knows how to cook and can foods. I plant flowers and can’t cook worth a damn. She grew up in a two parent home. My father died in an accident when I was five. She’s a nurse. I’m an accountant. She leans left and I lean right. So, in my opinion, if Blacks don’t enjoy our national parks, that’s not a problem. That’s their freedom to like or dislike – just like my lifelong friend and I.

• To paraphrase Comedian George Wallace .
      Black people don’t go in the woods or camping ,snakes, mosquitoes, rain ,sleeping on dirt. hell ,I got that at home.

• madeline says:

As of July 2016, White Americans are the racial majority. Hispanic and Latino Americans are the largest ethnic minority, comprising an estimated 18% of the population.[8] African Americans are the second largest racial minority, comprising an estimated 13.4% of the population.[9] The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 61% of the nation’s total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 77%.[10] (Wikipedia)

“… the 419 national parks — remain overwhelmingly white. Just 23 percent of visitors to the parks were people of color, the National Park Service found in its most recent 10-year survey; 77 percent were white. (Nimrodman)

According to these statics the visitors of the National Parks reflect the population of our country. This would probably be the same for how many people in America visit Disney land, or a museum, or a baseball game. Our schools probably have the same demographic breakdown.

• I read that article also nimrodman.

And I could almost picture the BLM activists shaking their heads and thinking ” we need to get out there and tear it up and burn it down, where is this National Park stuff”.

11. ropala says:

I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear,
    Those of mechanics, each one singing his as it should be blithe and strong,
    The carpenter singing his as he measures his plank or beam,
    The mason singing his as he makes ready for work, or leaves off work,
    The boatman singing what belongs to him in his boat, the deckhand singing on the steamboat deck,
    The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench, the hatter singing as he stands,
    The wood-cutter’s song, the ploughboy’s on his way in the morning, or at noon intermission or at sundown,
    The delicious singing of the mother, or of the young wife at work, or of the girl sewing or washing,
    Each singing what belongs to him or her and to none else,
    The day what belongs to the day—at night the party of young fellows, robust, friendly,
    Singing with open mouths their strong melodious songs.
    Walt Whitman

12. tominellay says:

Louis L’Amour books are treasures. The game of baseball.

13. Stunned by governor Kristi Noem presentation at the Mt Rushmore celebration. South Dakota never had a lockdown, no social distancing, no unisex burkas, no contact tracing and no mandatory vaccinations. Unfortunately, our Texas governor supports all these draconian measures.
    Growing up with Fess Parker as Davy Crockett, visiting San Antonio in first grade, I’d save the ALAMO, which Jeb junior is determined to “reimagine” as a UN propaganda center.
    God Bless Texas (and free us from RINOs)

14. We the people know says:

• nimrodman says:

wow

what a sentiment
      saving that for sure

• warrprin1 says:

So much to protect and preserve – my head is spinning. Something perhaps a little different or unexpected – I’m going to piggy-back on the post of the Lafayette monument.

I would preserve the correspondence between the Marquis de Lafayette and his wife, Madame de Lafayette, during the years that she remained in France while he was here.

This is a priceless memoir of Lafayette’s experiences in America. Lafayette’s decision to fight as a foreign volunteer in the Colonial Army, side by side, and under the direct command of General Washington is a story for the ages. Their work together grew into mutual loyalty and an unbreakable bond of friendship.

I would also scurry to preserve:
      every single Shirley Temple movie,
      the Mickey Rooney kid films – especially those with Judy Garland,
      the entire Nancy Drew Mysteries book series,
      every musical recording by members of the Rat Pack, Glenn Miller, and Benny Goodman,
      and two of my favorite movies: Camelot (c. 1966 w/Brit actors, but Hollywood when it was still HW),
      and wait for it, Independence Day (“We will not go quietly into the night…).

Finally, perhaps most importantly, I would fight to preserve J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings – book series and film versions, as well as all the writings of C.S. Lewis.

Every time that we re-watch the entirety of The Lord of the Rings – about once a year – I see more clearly the significance of the climax scene, with Gandalf and the Patriots surrounded by thousands of orcs at Mordor, as Frodo and Samwise struggle to reach the core of Mt. Doom to destroy the One Ring, and Sauron. This is a story for our time. It feels as though all the destructive forces in society are gathering now, ready and willing to surround and destroy all that is good, right, just, and sacred.

We will not go quietly into the night.

15. Tina Guyton says:

I would put several things in the American Treasure Box…Playing outside until after dark, catching lightning bugs and putting them in a jar, Books like Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox., Mark Twain’s Huck Finn, and Where the Wild Things Are. Taking Day Road trips with no real destination, only a different place everytime. Fishing, and shooting. The lessons that stuck by Getting a spanking for smoking, and other dumb or dangerous things. Learning that anything you want to do is possible if you work hard, but knowing it’s okay to fail…So many things

16. zozz1 says:

Oh, Susannah (the song). Suwannee (the song). Home on the Range (song).

17. Conservative_302 says:

Taps. They played it every night at Girl Scout camp before bed. We all stood in a circle and sang it. It’s one of my favorite memories from childhood.

• Judith says:

My favorite girl scout memory is the color guard and singing:

My country tis of thee
      Sweet land of liberty
      Of thee I sing
      Land where my fathers died
      Land of the pilgrims pride
      From every mountainside
      Let Freedom ring..

18. We the people know says:

“Nothing like it had ever been seen in New York. Housetops were covered with “gazers”; all wharves that offered a view were jammed with people. The total British armada now at anchor in a “long, thick cluster” off Staten Island numbered nearly four hundred ships large and small, seventy-three warships, including eight ships of the line, each mounting 50 guns or more. As British officers happily reminded one another, it was the largest fleet ever seen in American waters. In fact, it was the largest expeditionary force of the eighteenth century, the largest, most powerful force ever sent forth from Britain or any nation.”
    ― David McCullough, 1776

19. Gen Sensibility says:

Imagine if the woke mob burned down the Library of Congress, the Smithsonian, the National Archives, the Museum of American History in DC. I think of the burning of the library at Alexandria and the effect that had on civilization. The woke mob are ignorant enough to do it. I need a division to back me up to save these treasures and there are many more such treasures around the country. We need a corps of minutemen.

20. Marilyn Shealy says:

I am cleaning out my mothers house, I have thought about history disappearing. There is an old set of encyclopedias in the family room, which I had considered keeping, just incase. Now a days we all just google everything, that would also disappear.

21. highlander says:

Wow. What a post here. I am feeling like we are being invited to poke our heads up out of the muck ( get ABOVE it….get our eyes and senses free to see: there’s so much more!) ….where we can see and savor all the GOOD that has gone into making us who we are.

Delicious delicious. I am feeling better and better the more I read !

• PMM says:

Thank you for posting that. I had goosebumps on goosebumps listening to it. Just beautiful.

• patriciaweir says:

Thank you. What a beautiful way to start the day, with tears welling up in my eyes. A blessing among so many blessings.

• TrumpPatriot says:

Thank you. This country and it’s people are so Unique and Special, US. The Unique and Special United States of us.

President Trump is making patriotism great again.

• hawkins6 says:

You’re welcome! To the 3 posters who thanked me for posting Generald’s great rendition.

I couldn’t come close to choosing one thing I love about the USA, other than the country itself and all the good, generous and caring people within it, so I thought this would be the best substitute.

22. Publius2016 says:

23. Publius2016 says:

• Linda K. says:

I love Andrew Wyeth.

• MaineCoon says:

Over a span of over 50 years my family has admired and collected Andrew Wyeth artwork. In 1999 my sisters and cousin vacationed in Maine. Literally, we stumbled upon the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, ME which was having an exhibit called “A Century of Wyeths” displaying both Andrew and his son Jamie’s works. We knew all about Chadds Ford, PA but not the Wyeth history in Maine.

As if the Wyeth exhibit wasn’t thrilling enough, we were directed to a nearby farmhouse. Yep. The one featured above in Christina’s World. We sauntered down the little lane and there it was. The home had become a museum. The four of us chatted excitedly to the museum host and to our shock Andrew Wyeth’s brother-in-law (who lived nearby) sauntered in and gave us a personal tour. It was unbelievable as he relayed the full background of Wyeth’s painting. Christina was a cripple; hence, her poise. Christina is buried on the property.

Andrew Wyeth is still my very favorite artist.

24. gz9gjg says:

The most important thing to teach is critical thinking skills.

25. Richard says:

Preserve your rifles. Not only are they part of the culture heritage of America, you are going to need them.

26. RockyBalboa says:

American “grit”. American ingenuity. Muscle cars. “Detroit Iron”
    The American work ethic.
    “The Spirit of St. Louis.”
    “The Eagle has landed.”
    Snow White
    All of the Rocky movies!!!

27. Ausonius says:

David McCullough’s biography of The Wright Brothers. Their story is simply amazing and American, and the author gives it to you straight. I grew up in Dayton, when many people were still alive who had seen and known them, including my grandparents. They are still models for our time, unfortunately for too many it is a time of ignorance, ignorance from sloth and from willfulness.

The Wright Brothers, said an old mechanic, a witness to their flying creation, were “the workingest boys” he had ever seen. They taught themselves much of what they needed to know, and created what did not exist to advance their dream of a flying machine.

• Pale rider says:

it’s freedom!
      This country makes those sort of people, my dad was one. He knew the Wright brothers, Howard Hughs, Lindberg. Was there when Charles Lindberg took off with the ‘spirit of St. Louis’ keeping the crowd off the prop.
      I remember how they did things back then, everyone found a way. It was worth the effort because we were a family, the country. We were proud of our nation because we built it, and it was freedom, liberty, justice.
      It’s hard to watch this nonsense knowing what I know. Having seen what I’ve seen. These people never were part of the heritage of this country so no wonder they don’t care. Those that are, cherish our country.
      They have to go, we have to rid our nation of these pestilence. They should be treated with no more respect or concern than you would a common rat.

• Ausonius says:

I understand your frustration: anyone who is in their 60’s or beyond does not recognize much today, except for the radicalism of the 60’s which is a resurrection of Evil united with Stupidity on an even higher level than it was in the 1960’s.

• LizzieinTexas says:

All of David McCullough’s books are great.

Another great historical writer is Erik Larson.

28. PMM says:

Anything written by David McCullough. His book on John Adams gave me a greater appreciation for the founding of our country than anything I learned in school.

29. Casey’s Ghost says:

The Spirt of ‘76 painting by Archibald Willard. Sorry, but don’t know how to import that image here.

30. I would offer for thought one of President Trumps (and mine) favorite books, I just began reading it again and it is timeless.
    Dale Carnegie’s “How to win friends and influence people”.
    American as apple pie.
    🙂

31. cliffaheadwolvesbehind says:

I can already tell this post is going to make me cry.
    I’ll be back later with suggestions from the family,
    But…Just to start,
    Bells of St. Mary
    Going My Way
    Rudy
    God Bless America(song)

32. trumpsbamagirl says:

-A copy of Atlas Shrugged (It sounds cliche, but that book had a profound impact on me.)

-Lee Greenwood “God Bless the USA”

33. DiogeneseVindicated says:

I think the Battle Hymn of the Republic will one the first to be questioned and challenged. Why? Because it mixes God with nationalism, military, and sacrifice for a moral cause. Forget that it mentions setting men free.

• DiogeneseVindicated says:

My heart aches over the loss of our national and historic treasures. The thought that generations to follow may not see or understand the context in which these treasures came to us is disturbing and upsetting.

34. Kristin DeBacco says:

“The Patriot” movie by Mel Gibson. ❤️❤️❤️

35. DeWalt says:

Cherry Pie on Washington’s Birthday

36. DeWalt says:

Volunteer Fire Departments

37. Tess from Philly says:

I haven’t read the responses yet so I don’t know if the Laura Ingalls Wilder books have already been said. I grew up poor and they taught me that with hard work and perseverance, we can always find a way to make it. I recently found out that Laura’s daughter Rose was an integral part of the libertarian movement and spoke out strongly against the New Deal. I’m not surprised. I believe I owe my own constitutional libertarianism to Laura.

I’d also bring along the Schoolhouse Rock history videos “Great American Melting Pot,” “The Shot Heard ‘Round the World,” “No More Kings,” “The Preamble,” and “Elbow Room.”

38. rebel53blog says:

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY, TREEPERS !

39. Mark Twain. The complete works.

“It is a lot easier to fool people, than it is to then convince them they have been fooled”.

Think about this. I guarantee you that you will soon realize that, especially today, people will find this tiny sentence of words to be filled with many a Phd’s worth psychological analysis.

40. Matthew Pope says:

This Marine Corps commercial is the epitome of being an American.

After I saw this commercial I wanted to be a Marine.

Every child should watch this in school.

41. DeWalt says:

Paul Harvey

42. I would include in any time capsule or wherever we will store these things:
    -our Constitution and Declaration of Independence
    – the short stories of Jack London
    – works of Mark Twain
    -Hudon River school of artists.

Happy Independence Day to all my dear Tree House friends. Thanks for all your help during these times that try our souls.

43. SamlAdams says:

I am the end of a line. Both directs lead back to fathers and sons that signed the “Association”–treason at the time. Served side by side at Saratoga, Oriskany, Ft. Montgomery and a dozen other frontier skirmishes in the northern theater of the Revolution. I’ve always made sure that my children do not forget what risk these men and their families took for what we have today or what it means to risk all for something. And yes, am related to “that” Mr. Adams.

• Davenh says:

The original Sam Adams writings are a national treasure And should be preserved in perpetuity. What an honor to be responding to a descendant of what may be quite possibly the most important/influential founder. Happy Independence Day sir, within your blood flows greatness!

• LizzieinTexas says:

Me too! Hey cuz 😁

44. John Juan says:

For a large portion of my youth, the Fourth of July involved Tchaikovsky’s”1812 Overture.” Everyone here is familiar with the cannon fire during the final crescendo. Wonderful stuff! Living in Virginia as a child, I was constantly exposed to the history of the state and the country: Jamestown, Williamsburg, Yorktown, Manasas Battlefield, The Siege of Petersburg, Monticello, Mount Vernon. What a great place to grow up!

• TrumpPatriot says:

I am go smacked at what is happening in the “Great State of Virginia”! Never could I have imagined . . . . . . .

• steph_gray says:

I enjoyed a joke that was going the rounds after 9/11.

It seemed that when Atta and the rest of the evildoers got to their “paradise,” they found themselves, instead of gifted with 72 young innocent girls, confronting a crew of American Revolutionaries headed by Thomas Jefferson.

Evidently they had misunderstood what they were promised: “72 Virginians.”

45. Ausonius says:

Another most necessary book for our time of Communist iconoclasm:

Samuel Eliot Morison’s Admiral of the Ocean Sea (a biography of Christopher Columbus) and Christopher Columbus, Mariner. They used to be standard reading for any educated American.

Now they are anathema to the Communists in the schools and are probably are on their way to the bonfires on Leftist intolerance.

46. Susan Harms says:

Elmer Kelton books — about Texas and the American spirit. All of them.

47. Ausonius says:

Great American composer – an old-school, one-of-a-kind Yankee – Charles Ives!

If you do not know his music, you are missing a great experience: check out his 4 symphonies and a work called The Unanswered Question.

For the Fourth of July, here is a taste of his music called The Fourth of July where two marching bands sort of collide in the town square and have a battle of the bands!

48. Your Tour Guide says:

The “Frog and Toad” book series. Loved reading
    them to my kids. Made them and me feel warm inside.

The narrated versions of “Peter and the Wolf”.

Benjamin Britten’s terrific “Young Person’s Guide to
    The Orchestra”. Converted many people that said
    they hated classical music with it.

Grandma Moses art. Art Deco buildings. The former
    train terminal in Cincinnati is my all time favorite. Feel
    like I’ve entered a vintage “Superman” comic when I’m
    inside it. The Smithsonian, and the Air Force Museum.

49. Steve says:

Sundance, you are a national treasure. And I mean that from the bottom of my Australian heart. The world needs more people like you. If we had someone of your ilk in Australia, we might stand a chance against the tyranny that is against us here. Happy Independence Day my friend. God bless.