Independence Day Reflections

A suggestion for this post came a few days ago from one of our Treepers. I think it is a wonderful idea, especially for today, and during these times.

I will just copy here a portion of her letter to me.

My friend, Jack is the father of four sons… and at the end of an email about his sadness over the dismantling of the statues of Washington and Lincoln, he mentioned that he and his boys had just been listening to “The Ballad of Davy Crockett,” and then he commented that “pretty soon, they’ll come for that, too.”

They very well could.

It made me think….what if they come for it all—all of our stories and poems and songs and books and movies, but each one of us could save something….what would it be? (Like Dolly Madison saved the portrait of Washington from the burning White House).

So, I wonder if Treepers would contribute to an “American cultural treasure chest” by suggesting the title of a poem, story, book, movie, song, or even of a photo or painting that was an important part of his or her own growing up. I’d be glad to collect all the suggestions together into something Jack and other parents and grandparents could share with their children and grandchildren as a way of connecting them to American history and culture—through the eyes of ordinary American people.

I was just reading …“Casey at the bat,” and I would definitely save that. It was the first poem that ever made me cry. And the book my mother read to me over and over again when I was very little, “The Little Engine that Could.” And Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol.” And all of the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals. And “Gone With the Wind.”

I wonder what bits of your own cultural history you would save?

If people are planning to be with friends and family this 4th of July weekend, the question might be a great conversation starter.

So, I pass on this idea, and a few thoughts.

If it is worth saving, it is worth sharing, teaching, discussing, promoting. Lots of us are feeling that we should do something to stop the insanity going on in this country right now, but not sure exactly where to start or what to do.

At 62, with no real talents except cooking and pissing people off left and right, I have now reached the Don’t Give a Red Hot Damn stage in my life, and I feel I do not have a lot to lose in the battles to come, which for me have mostly been fought on social media. Should things escalate I would imagine that there are more than a few cantankerous old people who are also at that stage.

But I do have one other talent and ability, perhaps the most important of my life. I can teach, and I love to, although I am not a professional and have no degree in teaching. I have tutored my own and other kids along the way, and now I have grandchildren.

Those grandchildren will learn things from me. It is time I gave more thought to what exactly I want to spend time teaching them. Of course I have always had books here for them, and my eight year old granddaughter, who loves to read, just asked me to get some longer books to keep here for her. I bought Heidi and Swiss Family Robinson a few months ago. I also keep children’s religious stories and books, and since she had her First Holy Communion recently,  a Bible for her, and some more advanced books dealing with her studies to prepare her for the Sacrament.

So, my point is this. Education and knowledge and influence are weapons and we have the ability to use them. I have a lot of time with my grandchildren, and today is the day to make a little more time for important things, and I don’t just mean books.

I’ve taught some of the kids some cooking basics, as well as started teaching them to bake breads. My husband is a genius at fixing any and everything, and a very good mechanic. He has always taken the time to answer the kids’ questions and let them help him with his projects, and fixing their own broken things.

What talents, skills, and knowledge can you pass on? I might even think about volunteering as a tutor in inner city schools. There are lots of places that people with good intent can pass on what we have to share.

Happy 4th of July Treepers!

Added note: Please read the post. There is a reason for it. It isn’t another post for political rage, sarcasm, anger, and insults. The Treeper who suggested this is going to compose a listing of all your ideas that might be shared. Do we have to make her sort through rants?

This entry was posted in Celebrations, Election 2020, History, Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

774 Responses to Independence Day Reflections

1. boogywstew says:

I wanted to save the original Yankee Stadium but that’s gone now. The Chrysler Building in NYC is the most beautiful commercial building in the world and a beautiful example of Art Deco architecture and that’s my choice here!

2. David W DeWitt says:

And we can put them in clay jars in Qumaran to be found by a new “civilization”

• James Carpenter aka "Felix" says:

Each of us can put together a “clay jar”, a bridge to some distant (or near) tomorrow that will inevitably happen even as our earthly bodies are turned to mold and dust.
      Books: Fahrenheit 451 and Robinson Crusoe. Because the survivors we care about will have to rebuild in a dystopia, using remnants washed ashore from the wreck of a great civilization. So buy every, EVERY other hard copy book you can get your hands on. Any you think holds practical, historical, ethical, moral knowledge. Good novels hold many insights barely accessible in today’s frenetic crazy house.
      Today’s treasure is an Iphone and $200 sneakers. Tomorrow’s treasure will be different. Value might sleep but it never dies.
      I know this isn’t a site for advertising but if you’re not already familiar with it, I have been buying up books on the cheap from an online, used book outfit: ThriftBooks. And if they don’t have what’s in mind at the moment put a request (wish list) in and they notify you when a copy becomes available – and it is surprising how short the wait can be sometimes, even for “esoterics”.
      Hard copy books will be treasure when (not if) the electricity fails for any length of time.
      And who knows? Maybe even Howard Zinn’s ghost can be excised when some of today’s propagandized youngsters find themselves sliding down where the rubber and road meet.

3. nkmommy says:

John Wayne’s album America-Why I Love Her, especially the piece “The Hyphen.”
    An excerpt: The hyphen, Webster’s dictionary defines is a symbol used to define a compound word or a single word. So it seems to me that when a man calls himself an Afro-American, a Mexican-American, … Jewish-American, … what he’s saying is, I’m a divided American.

• Kay123 says:

I have to agree on the “hyphen”.
      Why the hyphen?
      You are living in America…. but you aren’t an American?
      You are illegal and going back to your home country?
      You are in US but don’t want to be here?

I am “Full Blooded American”…of mixed blood !!
      (of 5 generations of ancestry from various other countries.
      but whom loved and fought for this country)

I feel no need to explain my heritage. Not ashamed… just
      not relevant.

No hyphen, no other loyalty, not here to terrorize, not escaping
      back to my home in __________.

Anyone applying for citizenship denounces their loyalty to
      any other country (supposedly) and learns English, and
      blends into our culture…(supposedly).

Maybe we should deport anyone who refuses to
      drop loyalty to foreign countries, refuse to speak English,
      and blend in to our culture…. and needs to hyphenate…..
      or refuses to “honor the flag of the USA.”

• Kay123 says:

Oh wait hyphenated names usually get
        FOREIGN AID STATUS ….huh Americans don’t
        get that…hmmmm isn’t that RAAACIST?
        Isn’t that FOREIGN PRIVILEGE…..hmmm??

• Martin says:

My Dad and his older brother and my grandparents were immigrants from Scotland, through Ellis Island. Naturalized citizens, who never thought of themselves as anything but Americans. Along with the hundreds of thousands of people who did the same, and who put their lives on the line in war, to prove where their allegiance lay.

The average “divided American” today struggles to describe freedom vs. liberty. Right vs. privilege. Honor vs. duty. And even volition, as opposed to coercion. Millions suffer the latter, and become confused victims.

Americans are by no stretch of the imagination victims of any kind. And that’s why we are targets for division.

4. Mark1971 says:

Looney Tunes cartoons

5. Linda K. says:

Huckleberry Finn is a goner for sure.

• Judith says:

Huck Finn is a classic but also a very tough read. I loved Tom Sawyer. That was my introduxtion to the works of Mark Twain. His works embody the American spirit of exploration and adventure.

But cultural Marxism will zero in on one character, like Injun Joe, and then declare the author persona non grata. That’s what they did to Kate Smith’s “God Bless America.” I would bring her rousing rendition back to the fore, along with Ray Charles’ heartfelt “America the Beautiful.”

• Scott B. says:

“The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” is Mark Twain’s greatest work – and all that to “set a free ______ free.”
        The left will completely disregard Jim’s freedom, for their offense at the word in between.

• Linda K. says:

There is that in Huckleberry Finn and the great Mississippi River and Jim and Huck’s journey on it toward freedom. It is a pretty great book.

• Rockindubya says:

Your reference to Ray Charles struck a chord with me.
        My Mom passed away in the early hours, May 30,2004. On the way back from making arrangements in Austin, my wife calls and tells me her Dad had just passed. Less than twelve hours apart. Sad time for my family, to be sure.
        Four days later, Ronald Reagan passed from this world. Six days after that, Ray Charles left us.
        Shortly thereafter, a radio host, possibly Rush, played an excerpt from Reagan’s “Shining City on a Hill” Farewell address, followed by “America the Beautiful” by Charles.
        The tears I wept helped me to heal.
        HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY, TREEPERS!

6. Garrison Hall says:

Shelby Foote’s elegiac 3 volume history of our Civil War. We should never forget our history and there are few accountings of this awful conflict that nonetheless touched every American family as good as this one.

7. F.D.R. in Hell says:

• freepetta says:

Your screen name FDR in Hell is what my Grandmother said to me when I was a little girl. She said, “FDR was no hero, he’s burning in Hell” so when I see you post my friend, that’s what I think of.
      Happy 4th and God Bless America!

• boogywstew says:

43 year old Fred Astaire with a 23 year old Rita Hayworth, his favorite dance partner. The 2 musicals she did with Astaire were considered by Hayworth to be the highlight of her career. If you thought Eleanor Powell or Ginger Rogers could dance, they could, so why did Fred rate Rita above them? Check this out! The “Shorty George” from 1942’s “You Were Never Lovelier”. Sensual, exuberant, athletic, beautiful … I always thought of Hayworth as an actress and after seeing this … a legend! Hayworth gives off this “girl next door” vibe if that’s possible from such a beautiful woman? Perceptible joy that could not be acted all around.

• boogywstew says:

I guess you might want to see it! You guys owe me for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw_Sy6Oaw_A

• HB says:

You’re right. I owe you one.

• boogywstew says:

I stumbled on this after watching the “Uptown Funk” video someone posted here. For a moment I didn’t think it was going to amount to anything spectacular with Fred Astaire dancing around Rita Hayworth’s chair. I figured he would “carry her” through this number. I don’t think I was more shocked since seeing, who I thought was little more than a goofball, Charo, play “Classical Gas”, superbly, on a 12 string. Like Charo, she made if look easy. I love being surprised like that!

• Ad rem says:

Rita Hayworth in bobby socks? Well, i never… 😀

• boogywstew says:

You can tell from watching their faces they are having the time of their lives! Rita Hayworth matched up with Fred Astaire in being on time and working hard during rehearsals. Like Astaire, she was a professional dancer since childhood. Her dad was a dance instructor.

• warrprin1 says:

Thanks, boogyw!

• steph_gray says:

Love it boogystew!

A little more history. Shorty George was once of the dancers in the dance troupe called Whitey’s Lindy Hoppers in Harlem in the 30’s. They danced in a movie called Hellzapoppin, and also in a Marx Brothers movie (I always forget which one), where their number was cut in some Southern (DementoRat of course) strongholds where it was verboten to show black people exhibiting such levels of skill.

Also in Whitey’s group was the legendary Frankie Manning who was a huge part of the Lindy Hop (aka the essential original swing dance) of the 1990’s. Frankie, who was very tall and strong, was the inventor of the “aerial” step in which the dancers threw their partners up and over their heads. He and his partner practiced in the move in his Harlem walk-up apartment on mattresses until they were ready to unveil it at the Savoy Ballroom.

He came to New England in the 90’s for workshops where this amazing man was still throwing women over his head at the age of 82. At one of the events I was actually invited to partner with him on an entire song (rare!), which I will never forget was Cole Porter’s “Shiny Stockings,” one of Frankie’s favorites. No, we didn’t do aerials, but what a lead dancer he was, utterly unforgettable.

This great man is gone now, one of the Amazing Octogenarians of America (he was so designated).

It is my humble opinion and guess that Frankie, along with so many of his talented artists of the era like Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald (another huge heroine of mine, I’ve learned so much of my vocal ability from her) would not be signing on to Black Lives Matter’s anarchy and violence if they were alive today.

• boogywstew says:

George “Shorty” Snowden was born on the Fourth of July, 1904, which made him 5 years younger than Fred Astaire. The “Lindy Hop” was named after Charles Lindbergh’s famous trans Atlantic flight. “Shorty George”, music by Jerome Kern and lyrics by Johnny Mercer. “You Were Never Lovelier” … if ever a movie title fit Rita Hayworth at that exact time and place?! Just some asides. Thanks for your history. Were you a professional dancer?

• steph_gray says:

Hi again boogy – No, not at all, just did 13 years of it with friends during the 1990’s revival – got very addicted! Arthritis stopped me eventually so I went back to my usual thing singing and playing with bands instead. I was a halfway decent dancer, could both lead and follow, came in 5th in a local competition once…

I can’t recommend it enough as a wonderful activity – unfortunately swing dancing will probably take even longer to come back from the horrors of COVID-1984 than my live music performances will.

• boogywstew says:

I’m a drummer who grew up listening to Big Band and jazz from my dad, Broadway and movie soundtracks from my mom.

• Pa Hermit says:

Just slightly before my time, but oh the memories, no?

8. WSB says:

❤️🙏

9. Garrison Hall says:

1957 fuel injected Corvettes.

• P. Killick says:

My parents brought me up on the short stories of Enid Blyton, the 39 Just William books by Richmal Crompton, Biggles, Jennings, Simon Templar, and Billy Bunter.

Let’s throw in some of the books by Jerome K Jerome, Percy Westerman, Patrick O’Brian, CS Forester, Rudyard Kipling and Arnold Bennett.

True, a rather English selection, rather than American, but well worth preserving and passing on I think.

10. MamaTried says:

Wonderful article! I was born on this day in 1972. Having shared my birthday with this incredible nation all my life, I have a valuable awareness of attitudes on this day over many years.

I am white, but was delivered by a black doctor and apparently that wasn’t common in Oklahoma back then. Thank you to Dr. Smith who saved my mom and me because he was the only Dr around the hospital on that holiday night. May God bless your legacy & family for honoring your Hippocratic Oath.

11. This is a great idea though it is sad that we are now forced to pre-emptively try to save what’s left of our heritage from the American taliban.

My choice would be the Constitution of the United States.

Your post explains why I choose to keep so many hard copy books.

• Dutchman says:

cheeringfor America;
      I too have very mixed emotions about this project, and the NEED for it.
      Shades of Farenheit 451, are we actually contemplating trying to preserve and protect our heritage, not from the inevitable vestiges of time, but from these modern barbarians that would loot, burn, pillage and destroy it?

I guess the Ballad of the Grren Barets,…and “Big John” would be two songs I would preserve,….after our ONE Ntional Anthem of coarse.

12. I choose the Constitution.

• Dutchman says:

This also reminds me of a movie “the Book of Ely, where the character memorises the Bible in order to preserve it, as all are destroyed.

• kurt72 says:

And the Federalist Papers so we remember why they wrote the Constitution.

• bessie2003 says:

This is such a wonderful post! Thank you Menagerie.

I would add Catherine Drinker Bowen’s ‘Miracle at Philadelphia’ as it brings the personal relationships, interactions, life of the Constitutional Convention.

My one treasured volume is the 1921 ‘The Outline of History, Being a Plain History of Life and Mankind’ by H.G. Wells. A clear-eyed look at the history of mankind without any political corrected historical ideas anywhere to be found.

To know where to, or whom to, gift these treasurers for when in the future they would be welcomed, that is the question.

13. leslievb3 says:

Gone with the Wind has been my favorite movie for years. I grew up on John Wayne movies, my father a marine loved John Wayne movies and our family would load up and go to the drive in to watch them. Now the airport is being renamed, Wayne is being referred to as a racist (sadly this word has lost any real meaning). I wish I could say I’ll think about all that tomorrow, or frankly my dear I don’t give a damn. But I think about the state of our nation all the time, and I do give a damn.

14. AlaskaBob says:

I live in a remote village in Alaska and actually live in a 40,000 sq ft WWII army hangar with my family. I’m (very slowly) turning my “home” into a WWII museum, along with commercial space to pay the bills. I have been giving tours of the building and explaining what the generation did for us to save freedom in the world, when it looked very likely that the light could have been snuffed out at the time. It helps to have a D-Day survivor C-47 for them to climb around in. Even the most ardent peacenik can appreciate the sexiness of those incredible WWII planes and from there, I have a chance to get a foot in the door, so to speak.

Most of my victims are eager to learn of Alaska’s war effort and how it all fits into the great global conflict. But there is often that one guy in the group of fishermen that is so clueless about where freedom comes from that the challenge of exposing real history to so many Americans becomes apparent. Ignorance among the populace from our dumbed-down educational system is the real frightening aspect of our society and why we have idiots rioting and tearing down statues and… voting.

I’d like to believe I’m making a dent one moron at a time, but we all need to do our part to keep our real history alive – warts and all. But I’m now believing it is a lost cause and we’re doomed. I’m sick about the world I’m leaving my children and what they will have to live through and endure.

In the meantime, I’m saving a building that the government intended to demolish. Sharing with those who are willing, a bit of their own history from an angle that they haven’t heard before, or at least for a long time. That’s my time-capsule I’m trying to save.

Thanks for all you do. This is my first comment, after reading Treehouse for the past two years.

15. Marianne says:

Given the recent antipathy toward Lincoln, and other important presidents, I would certainly include this poem: Lincoln, Man of the People, By Edwin Markham

16. tappin52 says:

All of Paul Harvey’s The Rest Of The Story pieces. Also small department stores with lunch counters.

• hoosiergranny says:

Paul Harvey, my DVDs of Yankee Doodle Dandy, The Longest Day, It’s a Wonderful Life, and Gone With the Wind .

And I would personally burn all the Progressive Insurance commercials that disparage becoming your parents. We couldn’t aspire to anything better than being as wonderful as our parents were.

17. Nigella says:

Neighborhood 4th of July parties when my kids were young… You were actually allowed to have fireworks… All the kids sat on the chairs and watched the “show”.. Those “kids” are now in their 40’s and unfortunately can’t do what we used to do with their own kids…. They remember it fondly though…

18. Heroic Dreamer says:

The Bumper Book by Watty Piper, includes that famous poem “The Calico Dog and The Gingham Cat”

19. I posted a Gif, guess it didn’t take Cat SAD..

20. Gary Hunt says:

As a fellow 62 year old with one less talent, I don’t cook, I would suggest all the patriotic songs we learned so long ago. They will be next.

• Judith says:

At my sixth grade elementary school graduation, we proudly sang George M Cohan’s “You’re a Grand old Flag.” My, how times have changed:

You’re a grand old flag
      You’re a high flying flag
      And forever in peace may you wave
      You’re the emblem of
      The land I love
      The home of the free and the brave
      Every heart beats true
      ‘Neath the red, white and blue
      Where there’s never a boast or brag
      Should auld acquaintance be forgot
      Keep your eye on the grand old flag!

21. Heroic Dreamer says:

The Duel. By Eugene Field 1850-1895

The gingham dog and the calico cat
    Side by side on the table sat;
    ’T was half-past twelve, ad (what do you think!)
    Nor one nor t’ other had slept a wink!
    The old Dutch clock and the Chinese plate
    Appeared to know as sure as fate
    There was going to be a terrible spat/
    (I wasn’t there; I simply state
    What was told to me by the Chinese plate!)

22. Joshua says:

—- 3/29/19 – amcon – women + repository

I didn’t think weeks before this was (also) in question:

I have this on conveyance from the better, I cannot speak the words; I do not know if they were ever said:

These are my words.

“Women prioritize getting along”

“Making the environment comfortable is a primary concern”

“It’s more important to breed calm rather than alert.”

I trust, fully, this can be decompressed, if needed, by those who read this. This obviously is rooted in the furtherance of child development and “survivability”.

— while I’m here:

Aesthetics is a hard word for deaf and blind people to understand though I think not yet a human was born who could not know a hug (pressure), even by another name.

Recall and diagram: from a very expensive (archaic) schooling:

Take 13,15,17,21 (odd numbers I think, quantity is by age starting at maybe 6 or 7) words, write them down at the end of the day/class (write them down – possibly with part of speech I can’t recall), take them home and command, without aide, recall of as many possible, at the start of the next “day/class” (this was done twice a week – tues, thurs – excepting holidays (I hated tues, thurs)); meanings notwithstanding (a child will find the time before bed and after wake is the most fruitful).

Diagram of sentences is visual and structurally remarkable/indistinguishable for those with sight and makes dependency clear(er). They called this Carden(sp?).

These tricks should be deposited in the Repository, or even used now.

—- end cut n paste

We endeavor further ?
    Add recall and diagram to the Repository.

• P says:

Thank you, Joshua, your post made me remember how we always had weekly spelling bees. Those were better times for sure.

23. TeacherPeg says:

The following are all touchstones for our family and represent excellence in one way or another. My husband and I have tried to teach our young man to delight in genius wherever it is found, while being merciful with the weaknesses of both the creator and the creation.

Music – Glenn MIller’s music including American Patrol and Little Brown Jug
    Novel – Watership Down
    Short Stories/Poem – Rudyard Kipling’s Just So Stories, Riki Tiki Tavi, If, etc
    Art – Frank Lloyd Wright’s Prairie and Usonian homes
    Movie – 1776 & The Music Man

• steph_gray says:

I adore The Music Man – I’m a huge fan of all musicals, having learned to sing from Julie Andrews…

Singing in the Rain could be my favorite – a wonderful funny one about a big tech changeover in history (sound in movies) and Donald O’Connor’s unforgettable “Make ‘Em Laugh” routine.

One of my other favorites is an incredibly witty lesser known one with some tunes by Hoagy Carmichael – Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, featuring Marilyn Monroe at her best, and the equally talented Jane Russell (who by the way was a through and through conservative).

• boogywstew says:

“West Side Story” for the music, lyrics and modern dance. “Seven Brides For Seven Brothers” should have got an Oscar just for the barn raising – dancing – comedy – fight scene. Sounds convoluted but it worked in a big way. I have a thing for Catwoman too.

24. aerocrafter says:

John Ford’s “They Were Expendable” (1945) with Robert Montgomery, John Wayne, and Donna Reed. Heartbreaking and inspiring.

• Dutchman says:

Oh, Valdez is Coming, …theres just too much,…the Bible obviously,…
      I actually think it would just be easier to eliminate the eliminators, than to try to preserve our heritage FROM the eliminators trying to eliminate it.

25. Mary Van Deusen says:

My mother had a photographic memory and, when she was dying, she asked me how everything she knew could just disappear. I had no answer and it tore through me. So everything I learn, collect and know I shove out to the world on my two websites. But since this new generation seems not inclined to read, I can only hope that the websites get archived so that an educated generation of the future can still find them.

26. mainecoonman says:

Proper cars.

Cars that look like they could only have been built in America (with an honourable exception for decent “homages” to that style). None of this generic soulless oh so fuel efficient crap that could have been made anywhere and tragically is seen on roads everywhere.

Cars that run on gas and are proud of it.

Cars with chrome, lots of it.

Cars that are bigger faster and louder than they need to be, cars that make you smile when you see them, cars you aspire to owning and if you work hard enough you will, because they’re American cars.

• mainecoonman says:

Just to add to the above. When my family first started vacationing in the USA over 30 years ago I always hired the biggest cars available. Usually it would be a Lincoln Town Car or a Cadillac DeVille. I would sit my Dad in the passenger seat with Mum in the back. They were both nearly 80 at the time.

The car was so important. There was nothing like that at home, for them it was a chance to experience something different, something special, to be honest something they probably never thought would happen. Those vacations were the mainstay of their lives for almost 20 years. They’d talk about them for months beforehand and months afterwards, then start up again in the next one. They were English through and through but they understood the closeness between our countries and loved everything they saw.

• coastermomohio says:

And cars that go topless. Nothing says freedom like the convertibles of my youth.

• boogywstew says:

I drive a 1990 VW Cabriolet. I’m a motorcyclist and convertibles seem an extension of that experience. With the top down at night driving a stick through windy valleys and canyons, the exhaust sound off the pavement gives an audio feedback on your shifting skills. With the side glass up the heat stays in the front seat area.

• Joan says:

Love this – I feel the same way. As the saying goes, they don’t make em the way they used to.

27. James says:

Only if we let them,
    “and then he commented that “pretty soon, they’ll come for that, too.”

28. jrnthethird says:

The Liberty Bell. Because I’m from Philadelphia, and as a child it was a big deal to go into the city and see the Liberty Bell and learn about it.

29. Shelley Childs says:

The Stars and Stripes Forever, sung acapella

30. fionnagh says:

All the Little House on the Prairie books. And, yeah, the DVDs, too!

31. SanJac says:

Wallbuilders which holds many historical documents and sermons and tons of historical writings from our past presidents and very important founding Americans.

32. SGH says:

I love this, Menagerie!
    I’ve been OCD with everything from picking up toys to cleaning since my daughter was a baby. As a result, I’ve raised a useless human! Lol! I’ve said it for years!
    My daughter just turned 17, and happily, she is finally interested learning some life skills.
    My fault, as her parent. I own this.
    Enjoy your grandbabies! You sound like a terrific Grandma.
    Happy 4th!

33. teaforall says:

4th of July Parades
    Small Town America
    Wizard of Oz
    Jersey Shore

34. MagaCaesar says:

Hello fellow Treepers and Happy 4th of July!!! I hope this finds you all well. What an amazing article. I was just thinking about the books I grew up reading in school. After reading this I went up in the attic and pulled them out to share with my nieces this weekend. Tomorrow when I visit them I will read to them from Aesop’s Fables, McGuffey Readers and Pilgrim’s Progress. These are the books after the Bible that shaped my moral foundation and empowered me with lessons and wisdom for years to come. I am going to purchase some sets of these and begin sharing them with the community I live in. Thank you Sundance again for the inspiration. And may everyone have a healthy, safe and blessed weekend!

35. VandalizeDuhMastuhsAlgorithms says:

Perhaps, if I understand the task Menagerie has put before us…

Suppose you and/or your family were to leave soon for this place they call the New World.

You will soon depart from all that meant anything to you:

Dear souls of friends and family.
    Your worship home and all its binding ties.
    Work, vocation or career or whatever it is that you do to earn your daily bread.

In times past our ancestors left behind tired and corrupt civil institutions of governance, hereditary rulers and graceless churches.
    Crowns and thrones and castles.
    Bridges, roadways, cementaries, monuments and yes statues.
    Fields, rivers, lakes, mountains and frontiers.

All you’ve ever known.

And yet you MUST go. With the same inexorable compulsion as carried Abraham, Moses, and so many other guidons of the Church throughout the Ages.

What would you take with you to reseed your own new ground?

I have moved in such a way once already in my life, from a place of pleasant climate and easy morality to one of harsh winters and clear headed morals. From decadence to opportunity. Same nation, different states and vastly different cultures.

So if I had to do this again, here’s what I did/would pack.

A Bible, or two. A couple of hymnals. Copies of our nation’s founding documents. Favorite books and recipes. Cherished mementoes and souveniers. School notebooks and papers. Maybe yearbooks and report cards. Photo albums. Maybe old cards. Address books. Hobby guides and possibly supplies.
    Perhaps collections and/or childhood toys in view of possible inheritances. The tools and artifacts that give you a lump in your throat remembering their story.

Faith, Hope and Agape’-love

To make a long story short, and one that is still being composed in my life and for my children;
    as the Bible describes it, the leaving and the cleaving; two lives becoming a new creation.

Mark 10: 6-9
    But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall –

a man leave his father and mother, and cleave unto his wife;

and they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

A blessed Indepedence Day to all.

• Fannie says:

It has been on my mind lately that it would be good for the home to have a family Bible to be read together. As the song goes:

There’s a family Bible on the table
      Each page is torn and hard to read
      But the family Bible on the table
      Will ever be my key to memories
      At the end of day when work was over
      And when the evening meal was done
      Dad would read to us from the family Bible
      And we’d count our many blessings one by one

• steph_gray says:

I would take my mandolin guitar and bring music with me.

In an apocalyptic world, as an old arthritic female deplorable, I’d have little but my voice to contribute. But nothing can stop my singing.

If the mandolin guitar were broken or stolen, I’d still have my voice to use until I were similarly broken physically.

36. Ringo Phonebone says:

Ronald Reagan woke me up in the ’80s that there could be a better life in the USA than I had experienced growing up in America’s hat. If I were able to save just one thing, it would be The Reagan Diaries. I have a first edition that I keep on the top shelf.

• LizzieinTexas says:

I have the audio book of Ronald Reagan’s Radio Addresses (Reagan in His Own Voice)
      It is a treasure.
      “From 1975 to 1979 Ronald Reagan gave more than 1,000 daily radio broadcasts, the great majority of which he wrote himself. This program represents the opening of a major archive of pre-presidential material from the Reagan Library and the Hoover Institution Archives”

37. Impossible says:

You say, “although I am not a professional and have no degree in teaching. I have tutored my own and other kids along the way, and now I have grandchildren.“ I say, as a teacher for forty years teaching at the most liberal institution in New York the ‘degree in teaching’ is meaningless compared to what’s in the heart. CT is the most instructive site out there.

And don’t loose hope; most students have more common sense than will ever be broadcast by the media… the truth is that decent, optimistic, cordial, hardworking, non-political students are simply ‘ignored’ by the foul mouthpieces of most media and all of the dogmacrats.

My vote:

The House by the Side of the Road
    Sam Walter Foss

38. Risa says:

Mark Twain.

Schools avoid his classics “Huckleberry Finn” and “Tom Sawyer” because they are viewed through the lens of today’s skewed sensibilities, but there is no more quintessentially American author than Samuel Clemens. He took a world of stories and gave them the American perspective, told with humor and love.

39. warhorse says:

if we’re collecting things for future children…might I suggest the now-defunct JPFO’s Granpa Jack series? I’m not sure if they even still publish it, but they’re worth it.

if it’s for everyone, the Unintended Consequences by John Ross.

40. The Demon Slick says:

Walt Whitman leaves of grass. Everyone should read at least Song of Joys.

41. Kulak69 says:

‘Dare Greatly’ by Teddy Roosevelt – and as quoted in context by SD Governor Noem at Mt Rushmore. My parents sent me that one in college, some 30+ years ago.

42. DavidS says:

Some might not appreciate this but.. for all it’s diverse humor

Blazing saddles.. made me laugh as a boy and I still get a kick out of the campfire scene.. it should be a national treasure for many reasons.. one is to not be so serious and you can be funny and express without being offensive.

43. Yankee Doodle Dandy says:

My Treehouse name suggests my choice. I’ve loved that movie since I was a kid. My mom would make me watch it every year it came on. I’ve now seen it over 30 times. James Cagney was a true American treasure who could entertain in every conceivable way. And George M Coen was a legend who defined and gave a tune to all things Americana. Still one of my favorite films. And I know the words of the songs by heart.
    Also to add, I think we Treepers can all agree about another absolute American treasure: the ever incomparable and consistently wonderful Sundance.
    I hope you and all limb sharing Treepers have a delightfully patriotic 4th of July.
    Happy Birthday, Lady Liberty, from sea to shining sea. This is a heavenly country we reside in, and a magnificent republic we abide by, if we can keep it,
    God bless and take care, all you Yankee Doodle Dandy’s.

44. owtolunch says:

365 bedtime stories, Whitman publishing 1944,, Mother Goose, Grimm’s Fairy tales… AESOP’S Fables.

As a young child each night we listened to a story from these books…. Each night our mother read to us before bed. All of mother goose, grimms fairy tales, poems, short stories, almost never fail. 7 kids and tons of work she always made sure we heard a story and learned some lesson at bedtime. Aesop fables, bible verses. It was a nightly ritual – encouragement for us to want to read for ourselves.

45. Mr Lawson says:

46. God Bless America – from Australia – God Bless All Patriots.

47. I had to read 1984 in high school. Little did I know that it would become the “bible” for the leftist socialist movement in the Democrat party today. I still carry a copy of the Constitution in my purse today so I have it with me to impress upon my children and grandchildren of the importance of the basis of our nation. Part of my family are naturalized citizens and took great pride in taking their oath. God Bless our nation and our Treehouse family!

48. mamahorn says:

The Little House on the Prairie books, not tv show, were incredibly formative in my life.

49. Snailmailtrucker says:

If—
    By Rudyard Kipling

(‘Brother Square-Toes’—Rewards and Fairies)

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!