Joe Biden Tells Supporters “Wear a Mask”…

The circle of virtue signaling is now complete.   It became apparent during Memorial Day weekend the resistance allies, democrats and media, were going to use the wearing of “masks” as the hot new 2020 virtue signal.  All of the Blue-bot governors quickly fell into line with their own demands for compliant mask wearing in their states.

As with most modern left-wing extremes, influencing the behavior is an issue of control, a compliant community, it takes a village etc.  The issue is not medical benefit.  Toward that end, Joe Biden gets the command signal and joins the movement:

This provides the media with a social narrative to push hard and exploit for political division; a very Alinsky strategy.  Mask wearers become virtuous doers of goodness and virtue; non-mask wearers become visible enemies, targets for the drones.

Thus the politicization of masks is complete.

How do you defeat them? Easy, use their own playbook (Alinsky) and have fun (Breitbart).  Make them live up to their own rules.  Every time they are spotted without a mask, laugh at them and call them out on their hypocrisy.  They hate that.

Their communal tribe members cannot survive the ridicule when their inherent individualism does not want to adhere to the social demand.  Members don’t want to wear masks and the ridicule hits harder and has greater damage because of it.  Freedom is fun, the tribe mindset can only survive in an echo-chamber.

This entry was posted in 1st Amendment, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Communist, Coronavirus, Culture, Fabian Socialists - Modern Progressives, media bias, Notorious Liars, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

299 Responses to Joe Biden Tells Supporters “Wear a Mask”…

1. sunnydaze says:

This pretty much sums it all up:

2. Bone Fish says:

Ted Nugent: “Why do I have to stay home just because you’re scared? How about you stay home … you stay in your house indefinitely, you wear a mask, you social distance yourself from me, you avoid restaurants, you avoid baseball games, you stay off the roads, you avoid malls, beaches, and parks … I’m done paying your dumb game … I’m no longer going to be a prisoner of your fear. I’m no longer staying in my house or catering to you because you’re scared … your fear is not an excuse to destroy America. Your fear is not my fear and your fear does not have the right to interfere with my life, my job, my income or my future as a free American citizen”

• sunnydaze says:

Now *that’s* a great statement right there.

Thankyou, Ted Nugent. Well put!

• Out of all the rockers, the one who turns out to be a Constitutional scholar is…Ted Nugent? Ted Freakin’ Nugent?

It must shock even Ted. 🙂

ps gotta give a shout-out to Skunk, too!

• Sharon says:

“How about you stay home … you stay in your house indefinitely…”

Exactly.

The diagnosis is … Wuhan agorophobia

• Contrarymary says:

I agree with ted nugent. What to do, what to do. Gruesome Newsom opened up Cali today for the barber and beauty shops. I haven’t worn a mask this whole time, but it has been ordered as a condition to open up. I said I wasn’t wearing a mask nor requiring my customers to wear masks. I feel it’s a sign of oppression and find it repugnant. The lone lefty barber went ballistic and exclaimed he refused to work in a place that was unmasked. The other hair cutter is willing to wear a loose fitting one and require the customers, just to get back to work. The owner just wants to open to get money coming in and afraid lefty will file complaint and get us shut down. Hmmm. Stand on principle or put on unhealthy disease ridden mask? I have a substantial clientele. Walk away on principle or cave and wear the sign of oppression?

• sunnydaze says:

Kind of wish more hair-cutters would just start cutting hair out of their own homes, or going to clients homes.

• Contrarymary says:

Sounding pretty good, right now, sunny daze. Have had many who asked to come to my house, but……I met them at the bbshop. (Ssshhhhh). The odd thing is, we were never given official notice to close. At first, I just assumed it was a recommendation so I kept working. I still have no idea when it became a “mandate”, “dictate” or “order”.

• dd_sc says:

This.

Get together with some friends and start a mobile grooming service; like they do for pets.

• TreeClimber says:

Is opening your own salon a possibility?

• Contrarymary says:

It’s a little more difficult when it’s a barbershop where people walk in, tree climber. I never felt a need to give out my phone number or get there’s. They came in when they were ready. I’m sure the other barbers wouldn’t tell them where I’d gone so would have to rebuild.

• RedBallExpress says:

The whole thing reminds me of 30 years ago when I played softball with my two girl cousins that were about 12. Good God the rules they could come up with! They had rules about calling rules and even rules about rules about rules calling rules ad infinium. It was nuts. Of course I was in my 30’s and could care less. I threw balls at them and walked around the bases whenever I felt like it etc. I thought they were going to have a heart attack.

• MelH says:

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

• Marilyn says:

This video tells you about your rights well worth listening too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlv7T3OGhT0&feature=em-uploademail

• Mist'ears Mom says:

Well said Ted! I had an idiot say in a meeting the other day that wearing a mask is the same thing as having to put on a seatbelt when you drive a car…faceplant emoji
      The disconnect is unbelievable. The non stop messaging has worked on the sheeple and created the intended purpose of dividing us on yet another virtue signaling identity bs.

3. Magabear says:

So if a state government can make it illegal to not wear a mask, why stop there? Why not a full plexiglass face shield? Why not an astronaut helmet? Or just put that burka on you infidel!

Lawsuits need to fill the court rooms across America.

• Contrarymary says:

I agree, magabear, but freedom and justice aren’t free in these United States, these days. It costs a lot of money to have access to our hallowed halls of justice. (Snark)

• Magabear says:

My charitable giving is now almost solely focused on legal groups who fight for 1st amendment freedoms. Pacific Justice Institute, Alliance Defending Freedom, Thomas More Law Center, Liberty Counsel, First Liberty Institute, Harmeet Dhillion’s organization and a few in my state of PA like the Independence Law Center.

Our constitutional form of government is under assault like never before.

• rrick says:

A retail store in Palm Springs was fined $5,000 (first offense) for being open in violation of the city’s public health code. Per the city’s administrative code, it costs $764 to file an appeal

I would go another route. I would file in Superior Court. Still, it costs a pretty penny to access ‘justice’.

• Mist'ears Mom says:

They can apply for an exemption due to financial hardship, which is what every business should be doing in every state that has this bullcrap lockdown that ruined their business and livelihood.

• How about full on hazmat suits? Isn’t this damn thing SERIOUS!?!?!

LMAO

I’ve not complied with anything, no masks and work never stopped. Of course, I have been labeled as “essential”. But, as weird as some things have been in TN, there are no MONITORS of anything.

Just insane leftists that moved here from california to RAPE OUR STATE.

• Magabear says:

I’m an essential worker too here in PA, and funny enough we didn’t need to wear masks for the first month of the shamdemic, but then I guess the coronas grew bigger and stronger and now we have to wear them all day long. There’s laminated CDC signs hung up all over the building now, including inside bathroom stalls.

The stupidity seems to have no end in sight.

• Cynthia says:

If masks are such efficient protection against COVID, why didn’t prisons issue them to inmates instead of LETTING THEM OUT OF PRISON? Hmmmmm? I’d like to see NY and CA twist themselves into pretzels answering that one.

• Mist'ears Mom says:

Like I continue to say…common sense has left the building. Just take a look at the panic and hysteria caused by a virus that is killed by soap and water, air & sunshine.
            None of it makes any sense…we are disinfecting buildings and surfaces that have been EMPTY for months with toxic chemicals that will kill everything until the air moves…
            I am sure there are tons of covid germs alive everywhere out there bcz you know they are so stable and hardy / sarc
            I keep saying this isn’t sarin gas “attack” its a freakin cold/flu virus that have been around forever, that we see every year.
            I have to ask myself … what is different this year?

• rrick says:

Before they moved to your state they first moved to CA. They came with it. Migration patterns have long shown NY and NJ are the culprits. Then, not even the entirety of those states. More like select cities of those states. Even now, CA is in the top three destinations for folks fleeing from NY and NJ. FL and NC are the other two. Too, TN has it’s own thriving illegal population.

The subject of your comment is what I have been warning for years. As folks cut and run to the free states, they leave behind an effective higher concentration of the commie cancer. Then they move to another state, and another. It is better to stay and fight. One thing the leftist mentality did was to remove the stigma of shame from all forms of behaviors, that any behavior became acceptable. We have to reverse that.

In no respect should you (all y’all) capitulate to their demands, no matter how loud or incessant they be.

4. WesternPA says:

My wife recently went to the local Walmart. You can’t enter without wearing a mask. Shortly upon entering the store, she noticed a woman not wearing a mask, and promptly decided to take hers off too. A few minutes later, a Walmart employee approached her and said ” thank you ma’am, we’re sick of this bullshit.”

• TreeClimber says:

The dude* at the door of our local Walmart hates them so much, it’s kinda funny in a way. He takes them off on every break and looks longingly at every customer walking in without one (the number of which grows daily) ; the other day I saw him on duty without one, and another lady without as well. Everyone is so sick of it.

(*the one who taught our toddler to fistbump and also caught said toddler the time he wandered off and started booking it towards the parking lot)

• Contrarymary says:

One of my customers, who is a paramedic, told me that not only breathing the hot musty air is unhealthy, but when you wear the mask too long and it becomes worn, the fibers start breaking off and you are inhaling thos fibers into your lungs. Wonder how long before the lawsuits begin over that.
        Wonder if Mitch’s push to ward off lawsuits against businesses will preclude lawsuits over masks.

5. patti says:

• Where’s Hunter? Is this the land of if your senile creepy old perv of a dad is pretending to run for president your crimes go “off limits” to justice?

F that hard. Not in my time period here.

6. reliablydeplorable says:

I had the great pleasure a couple of days ago of seeing this virtue signalling play out in front of me in the form of a young (30ish), white, face mask wearing male absolutely harangue a somewhat older (40ish), black female without facial covering coming out of a grocery store. And the guy wasn’t descended upon by a horde of do-gooders. This was in Seattle, mind you. One of the “highly exalted” loci (hives) for virtue signalling.

Pure theater!

7. swampfox999 says:

The biden goofy black mask with shades look brings back memories of Dukakis under helmet in a tank. Joe was always a lightweight phony but now he is a lost lightweight corrupt phony with a wife who should be charged for elder abuse.

• fred5678 says:

Waiting for next bank robberies with robbers dressed in suits, aviator sunglasses and black virtue mask. Tellers describe Biden to police sketch artist.

• TwoLaine says:

When I 1st saw the picture of him in mask & sunglasses on Monday, I tho’t they finally figured out a way to camoflage their candidate with a higher level speech and brain double, i.e., someone who is not demented.

How would we ever know it’s not him? Don’t all white balding guys look alike? 🙂

Remember ILLary’s double after her “fall” on 911?

• paulashley says:

When this finally dies down due to hot weather, we’re going to see some really goofy tan lines. The good thing is we’ll still be able to identif the sheep; they won’t be able to hide.

• DaughterofLiberty says:

It made his ears stick out – he looked ridiculous.

It supposedly takes an electron microscope to even detect the virus molecule. Yet these juvenile morons think a silly paper or cloth mask will provide the guarantee of protection. Such silliness evidences a lack of critical thinking skills, the inability to do one’s own research, while blindly acquiesing to what one is simply told to do. .I’ve seen a photo of the warning disclaimer on the shipping carton of those stupid blue paper masks. It reads something along the line of ‘will not provide protection against the COVID corona virus’.

Bejing Biden fails again. Like this is a legitimate campaign issue? This nonsense is elementary school level of juvenile behavior.

• 4EDouglas says:

This is Dukakas in the Tank for sure- Trump, no mask, looks in control, a leader.-Presidential.
      Biden-aged,weak,and looks ah, residential-like in a home..

8. jambo says:

So the people inside the skyscraper city are all wearing masks and the people down below by the windmill aren’t.

Another good reason to live out side the walls.

9. BigTalkers says:

Blue masks vs Red masks..? Then we’ll have Red, White, and Blue masks.

10. Sedanka says:

They should wear masks. Liberals are the ugliest people on Earth.

11. fred5678 says:

Walking outside here in western mountain state on wide paved walkways, clear blue sky and plentiful solar disinfectant, bike riders and walkers are almost all mask-free — so when a jogger (a JOGGER!!) comes along wearing a mask ??/&&^%%$$# ???

And with 95% of people with no masks, along comes a group,of two couples, obviously close friends or family, all wearing masks — ridiculous. The sun has disinfected everbody in one minute.

BTW the county I live in has had 70 odd cases and zero deaths.

Another data point — a distant relative, 73 YO, had her husband come down with CCP virus — annoying cough for 2 weeks and tested positive, but no treatment. She never had symptoms while living togetehr and sharing a bed with husband _- when not coughing — but obviously shedding virus before and after coughing spell. They both got antibody tests — he was positive, she was negative. Antibody tests are often false negative, and probably couldn’t pick up very low level of antibodies after asymptomatic infection.

• swampfox999 says:

Democrat controlled areas have a much higher incidence of infected and deceased people from the CCP virus. Next time the dem operative press attacks Kayleigh and POTUS and blames POTUS for people killed by the CCP virus, Kayleigh should hit them back with that fact and tell the weasels to ask the Dem governors and mayors why they are doing such a poor job protecting residents in their jurisdictions.

12. HERE is the mask Joe Biden should wear:

13. Retired IG says:

I have to laugh. Joe Biden and stand-in sidekick female/wife wearing BLACK Masks? It’s almost TOO FUNNY/IRONIC for me. Who are the Biden’s signaling by wearing BLACK MASKS? As the Nun’s used to say to me, “It’s a Mystery.”
    In another lifetime it seems, I learned much from a great teacher. Still have one of the lectures on on paper titled “The Higher Self, The Lower Self, and the MASK.”
    In that lecture, the “MASK” is how the “ego” wants to present itself to those around them .I could not make this up if I tried.
    I understand (sort of) the reaction human’s are having to the incessant drumbeat “we’re all all going to die” unless we wear a MASK from the MOST AWFUL VIRUS EVER ENCOUNTERED BY HUMANS. EVER. Drummed into all non-stop.
    Seems to me the message being driven is TO FEAR DEATH. But you know what – NO ONE GET’s OUT OF HERE ALIVE. NOT A ONE.

• Sharon says:

“NO ONE GET’s OUT OF HERE ALIVE. NOT A ONE.”

…and apparently that is brand new information to a high percentage of our population…

• teabag14 says:

It was quite the contrast, wasn’t it? Biden & wife in black with black masks with body language of defeat, death, & mourning. Meanwhile, PDJT & FLOTUS in Red, White, & Blue with no masks. Solemn, yes, & respectful, but memorializing our military with the colors of the flag they fought & died for. So appropriate & uplifting especially now. 👍❤🇺🇸

• PVCDroid says:

These people must be just plain stupid. Make yourself look weak and scared? Idiots.

14. Guyski says:

Did anyone see the news story about that bar that created personal rolling tables made of inner tubes to maintain 6 foot distancing? Imagine someone using one of those to go grocery shopping or to go to Menards/Lowes/Home Depot. The path of destruction would be incredible. 😁

15. Seneca the Elder says:

#END THE LOCKDOWN NOW
    #TAKE OFF YOUR MASKS

16. Rick554 says:

I go to Walmart for only one reason…..boneless, chicken breasts for my Dog, who is vet prescribed to avoid pancreatitis (yeah , I know ! 😀). I don’t wear a mask in that place until I see someone coming at me whose air I don’t want to rebreath! THEN. I quickly don a handkerchief emblazoned with an American Flag and press on. Once the bad air breather is past I slip it down and go on my way ! The looks I get from those people are priceless. I hope this may have inspired others! Go for it, All you TREEPERS. Thanks to Sundance and May GOD continue to bless our President and our Freedom! REDHORSE!

• DaughterofLiberty says:

Hahahah – indeed – I was just thinking the only thing those dopey masks protect against is bad breath.

17. Zachary Navarre says:

So are TCH and its commenters suggesting that masks are pointless virrue signalling in ALL situations? There seems to be some very rabid groupthink infecting these comment sections every time the subject of masks come up.

Because i’ll be honest:
    The selfies of people in their cars wearing masks are absolutely virtue signalling.

People wearing masks to go into a crowded grocery serves a real and easily justified purpose.

• jimmy2times says:

Was an internal police dept memo. So guessing most towns have same real law vs fake governor dictates. So just claim u have a medical condition. I did that once. Only time I needed to do it

• paulashley says:

They serve a purpose only in operating rooms, infection wards, and around the elderly and infirm in enclosed spaces. Even then the contact must be prolonged and not incidental and the mask must be sanitary and worn properly.

Otherwise, no. Simply not needed. At all.

A question to ask yourself: when will you stop wearing a mask?

• Grocery stores? You are deluded, hobbled by false fear and an Insane Left false narrative.

I, and millions of others, have proved the contrary, from our own personal experience over the last 3 months. I have gone out to stores nearly every day, and have never worn a mask; I have known the “pandemic” was over in truth, for the whole past month. Sundance himself has addressed the idiocy of this fear of Covid1, specifically on the point of open grocery stores, without mass infections of grocery employees.

I am 72, and I have, I believe, caught the covid19 virus not once, but twice, once in late January/early February and again at the end of March. The onset each time was more rapid than other past infections. But I take echinacea, and it is a wonder drup for me; the first time, the “illness” hung on for a week, without quite making me truly sick, and the second time, just 2 days, with no outward symptoms at all. I used hand sanitizer, but no need for either “social distancing” or a mask, because when we are out and about we are ALREADY social distancing (there just aren’t that many of us to fill up the outdoors, or the stores, at least here in central Tennessee). Everybody should know that masks are useless, and more dangerous than any virus alone; they are by definition dirty — either inward or outward — and vulnerable to infectious organisms.

Get yourself two bottles of echinacea and you’re proof against any outside germ (if you catch one, take the pills every 20 minutes until you start to notice improvement (within hours, a day at most), not 3 times a day, that’s all you need to know). Go forth and multiply…

And stop broadcasting fear. It’s a lie (a Big Lie, by the Insane Left, illegitimate Democrat party).

• Mist'ears Mom says:

Harry-I’m with you there. I too take echinacea when I start to feel my immune system fighting a cold. I also put my BF on it.
        This last fall thru Feb this cold/flu ran though my community in CA. I didn’t get it and BF was sick for 5 days unusual for him. Everyone survived without social distancing or freaking masks.
        Wash your hands and don’t touch your face and your chances of getting stupid 19 is .00001% chances of dying from it are less.

• jaykay says:

I keep waiting for our Public Policy to be Science Based.

Pay special attention to the section on Minimal Infective Dose. (MID)

• Ironclaw says:

Nah, you’d be more effective using chain-link fence to keep the mosquitos out of your yard than a cloth mask to keep a virus out of your body as a matter of scale.

• Marian says:

The smallest holes in masks are at least twice the size of the virus. Even the CDC admits masks are not effective in preventing transmission of the virus. Yes, they will hold droplets, but the virus in exhaled air is still escaping the holes.

• Clancy says:

Wearing a TRUMP 2020 mask is a lot of fun, it’s virtue signaling turned on its head. 😀

18. Hoss says:

I’m a 71 year old man, who looks my age. I went to our local Wally World last Saturday, to “virtue signal” by wearing my red, white, and blue “Trump 2020” hat, a 2nd Amendment t-shirt, and no mask. Reaction was mixed between approving looks and occasional smiles from other non-maskers, indifference from almost everyone, and occasional fear in the eyes of some of the mask wearing. Nobody said anything to me, except the mask wearing cashier, who was very friendly bordering on jovial …

I did have nitrile gloves on, though. The only thing that actually protects. I’ve been wearing those since last November (when I got very, very sick with what I suspect may have been “the virus”), and keep a box of them in the truck. Along with a bottle of hand sanitizer. Having said that, I think old folks wearing masks is prudent, but anyone under fifty without underlying conditions is just virtue signalling. Anyone wearing a mask, but not gloves is stupid!

• mazziflol says:

Gloves are nasty when not used as intended. Single use. Touch a thing and discard them properly. Imagine seeing your doctor who wore the same pair patient to patient. Ewwww. Just wash your hands!

• 4EDouglas says:

I do the mask and glove thing as I am elder 67-have an overlying condition (Type 2 well controlled.) and an uncommon A- blood type. Asians are more common with that but Grandma was a Cherokee(documented) I assume where that came from.
        But I don’t drive around or go out of my house with the mask on. The mask is for you protecting others-like my wife who is in a care facility due to a stroke..
        but i cannot get over obviously helicoper mommies having masks on their kids 7-to toddler-with mommy masked too carrying a bottle of sanitizer in her bag…

19. Joshua2415 says:

How to deal with the Media Mask Nazi’s (and other hypocrites)…WI patriot addition.

20. Don L says:

The left have been wearing masks for decades now–pretending to be nation and truth loving Americans.

21. jimmy2times says:

Town next to me sent memo to all police. I eternal memo. Friend told me about it
    Said that no business open to public can deny access to non mask wearer. In fact they cannot even ask why they are not wearing 1 as it could be a medical condition or a me tal decision. Howie carr had it right a month ago and I already followed his advice o ve
    If asked just say u have a medical condition so u dont need or cant wear 1
    Leave it at that. Although I am fighting back a bit more now
    Started to mock people in a nice way for wearing 1
    If they are younger I just say you realize that nick does nothing to prevent spread of virus or flu dont you? A d most times they have agreed actually. In blue mass everyone wears them so its monkey see monkey do. People just got shamed into feeling they have to wear them

• paulashley says:

The medical condition that forces me to not wear a mask is known as “sanity”.

• Zachary Navarre says:

Kind of like how you’re trying to shame people into not wearing them?

• Ironclaw says:

No, he’s not doing that at all. It’s a choice that we all need to make for ourselves.

• jimmy2times says:

Yeah no Zach. Not remotely the same
        This has become an issue due to fake edicts by governors mandating people to do something that does not help and is a restriction of freedom and was not passed by a law. And more importantly the leftists are the ones who were and are trying to shame people for having partys and wearing masks. If half the people wore them and half did not and the left were not shaming non mask wearers I would never bother telling people they do not work
        Like President Trump we need to start fighting back. If it’s ok for the fools on the left to do I’ll do that and more!!! When you are on the rt side of history it makes it easy
        So no your analogy is wrong.

22. cohibadad says:

I would highly recommend this book on the genetic basis of liberalism and conservatism, the mindset of the sheep and the mindset of wolves https://www.amazon.com/Evolutionary-Psychology-Behind-Politics-Conservatism-ebook/dp/B00DT9ZLS0/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=politics+of+liberal+conservative+r+k&qid=1590578150&sr=8-2

23. Carter Burger says:

Even our local news clowns are in on it. Last night, doing a live shot on a deserted street, our intrepid reporter was dutifully wearing his face mask. They really don’t understand how stupid they look. But at least now they are making it easier for the sane among us to spot them.

24. WVNed says:

Stop calling them masks. What I see most people wearing are unwashed face diapers.
    Many turning gray or black with old spit and dirt.

25. WVNed says:

How retro. They wore masks in 1630 to prevent disease. They didn’t work then either.

26. victorsharp says:

Here in the Tampa area the ones who wear the mask are older white women and they give nasty scowls to those who aren’t conforming to their virtue signaling. Luckily, they are a minority, most people have returned to normal life and could care less about the scowls from these sheeple. But I have the luxury of living in a red state with a great Governor. The midwest is being terrorized by the tinpot dictators led by Governor Jelly Belly and Empress Gretchen.

27. ed357 says:

BTW…..

So yesterday…..Biden does an interview (shown on Martha’s Show last night) outside…….

and berates Trump45 for not “leading by example” by not wearing a mask outside on Memorial Day like Creepy Uncle Joe did……

While CUJ was not wearing a mask….during his outside interview….They did have social distancing……but…..

C’mon man.

• DaPicayune says:

The Dim’s ‘Face Burqa’ mask’ is just a ruse,….. it’s the Snitching it promotes that the Fascist Dims are really trying to sell to complete their Alinsky version of a Police State in the USA.

“Who’s the leader of the club that’s made for you and me,…. DEM ENTO JOE BITE-ME?”

28. Pegon Zellschmidt says:

Dublin Standards: Irish PM Denies Breaking Lockdown Rules After Having Topless BBQ in the Park
    Irish PM barbecuing with his boyfriend and another male couple in the park; no mask; no social distancing. Caught on camera and denies it.

29. Ironclaw says:

Absolutely not. I still haven’t manage to get a hair cut because I refuse to wear their symbol of oppression.

30. John F KELLEHER says:

Here in Virginia. Our Blackface CZAR Northam says we all must wear a mask in any public or government building. So I ordered my mask with TRUMP 2020 all over it.

31. mike diamond says:

Creepy Joe,needs to wear a mask,he is a nasty dude!

32. Steven Interest says:

Another take on masks

33. marmocet says:

It’s a shame this issue has become so politicized. Scientific evidence on the efficacy of masks as a means of reducing the transmission of airborne respiratory illness has already existed and been in the public domain for at least a decade. All of it indicates that masks do reduce the wearer’s risk of contracting respiratory illnesses, and potentially significantly so depending on the situation. This is why it was such an outrage that people representing the WHO and CDC were telling masks don’t work and not to wear them. The fact that these people surely knew about these studies is why, at the same time, they were running around with their hair on fire shouting at the top of their lungs to industry and government officials that medical professionals didn’t have enough masks.

Sensible guidelines for mask use should be telling people that wearing a mask can be an effective part of a personal hygiene regimen that includes other measures, and that the additional benefit masks can provide depends on the situation. With a mind to the fact that SARS-CoV-2 appears to have originally come from bats, it is reasonable to assume that this virus is adapted to spreading efficiently in environments that are crowded, where the air is stagnant, cool and damp, and where the level of incident UV radiation is nil. Guidelines should point out that for any given environment, as the degree and number of those characteristics the environment exhibits increases, the more sensible it is to wear a mask. If one is outside on a sunny day warm in a place that isn’t crowded, the benefit to wearing a mask is probably slim to none.

As far as I see it, widespread mask use is probably one of the more effective tools we have currently that will allow us to reopen the economy without producing a major surge in the rate of new infections. For me at least, this shouldn’t be a political issue, but since that ship appears to have sailed, I don’t see how conservatives benefit by ceding this entire issue to the left. To me, it looks like another example of one side of a political divide rejecting something, even if they previously embraced it, because people on the other side of the political divide have embraced it.

• annieoakley says:

The mask is symbol of oppression. Nothing more than “let me see what I can MAKE you do”. Like putting up a chainlink fence to stop a mosquito as far as a virus is concerned. Also, EVERYTHING is political, winter, summer, spring, fall, weather is a political catastrophe. Health or sickness is political. Schools are political. Reading and spelling are political. Religion is political. Gender is political. It is the age in which we live.

• marmocet says:

When a society is incapable of having a discussion about something as simple as whether or not a mask can be an effective means of reducing the transmission rate of a virus, a question that is ultimately answerable by discoververable, measurable facts, without framing the topic first and foremost as a political battleground issue to be decided by a conflict between opposing camps representing the forces of good and evil, that is a sure symptom of a society in serious decline in my opinion.

To identify a mask in this context as a symbol of some sort, rather than as a potentially useful tool for achieving an aim that can be well defined, reminds me of the way the left seize on solar panels and windmills for the symbolic value they have within their ideological framework rather than for reasons rooted in a careful evaluation of their ability to achieve the goals their proponents are ostensibly trying to achieve.

• Marian says:

Ok, let’s use science. This is a review of the evidence base on the effectiveness of nonpharmaceutical personal protective measures in non healthcare settings. Scroll down to the section on Face Masks and read what the CDC found: “We found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks.” It makes sense when you realize that the SARS CoV2 is less than half the size of the smallest holes in masks. They used “discoververable (sp), measurable facts,” not emotions or opinions. To claim that science is on the side of wearing face masks to prevent transmission of this virus is just not truthful.

• marmocet says:

Firstly, your intuition about how filtration works – you’re using the marble and net model – incorrectly anticipates how particulates in the micron size range behave. See this study, for example, which found that household materials like silk scarves, t-shirts and dishtowels were able to filter out ~50-70% of incoming bateriophage MS2 virions, which are about 27 nanometers in diameters (compared to SARS-CoV-2 virions, whose diameter ranges from around 50 to 200 nm). For surgical masks, the filtration rate was found to be almost 90%.

For insight as to why your intuition is incorrect, see this explanation: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/can-hepa-filters-capture-nanoparticles/

As to the metastudy you cite, if you read the underlying studies the authors looked at, they don’t contradict anything I wrote and illustrate why it’s a good idea to look at the underlying studies themselves rather than rely on the findings of the metastudy. Here are some examples of what the underlying studies found that I discovered by just going down the list of studies the metastudy included.

One underlying study estimated that, “irrespective of the assumed value for the incubation period (1 or 2 days), the relative reduction in the daily risk of acquiring a respiratory infection associated with adherent mask use (P2 or surgical) was in the range of 60%–80%.”

Another underlying study observed, “significant reductions in ILI [influenza-like illnesses] during weeks 4–6 in the mask and hand hygiene group, compared with the control group, ranging from 35% (confidence interval [CI], 9%–53%) to 51% (CI, 13%–73%), after adjusting for vaccination and other covariates. Face mask use alone showed a similar reduction in ILI compared with the control group, but adjusted estimates were not statistically significant.” The study’s authors concluded, “These findings suggest that face masks and hand hygiene may reduce respiratory illnesses in shared living settings and mitigate the impact of the influenza A(H1N1) pandemic.”

Yet another of the underlying studies, which attempted to determine whether medical mask use by sick individuals with influenza-like illnesses protects healthy contacts from related respiratory infections, found the following:

“In an intention-to-treat analysis, rates of clinical respiratory illness (relative risk (RR) 0.61, 95% CI 0.18 to 2.13), ILI (RR 0.32, 95% CI 0.03 to 3.13) and laboratory-confirmed viral infections (RR 0.97, 95% CI 0.06 to 15.54) were consistently lower in the mask arm compared with control, although not statistically significant. A post hoc comparison between the mask versus no-mask groups showed a protective effect against clinical respiratory illness, but not against ILI and laboratory-confirmed viral respiratory infections.” The authors of the study concluded, “The study indicates a potential benefit of medical masks for source control, but is limited by small sample size and low secondary attack rates. Larger trials are needed to confirm efficacy of medical masks as source control.”

The finding that the mask arm showed a protective effect against clinical respiratory illness but not against ILI and laboratory-confirmed respiratory infections is interesting and suggests the possibility that masks may prevent infections from rising to a clinical level by reducing the number of virions that reach and subsequently infect the new host’s cells. This would be analogous to the difference between trying to control and extinguish a fire in a home that is caught and dealt with when it is no larger than a small waste basket fire versus trying to control and extinguish a fire that was started by a flame thrower that has simultaneously set fire to everything in an entire room.

One of the studies explicitly mentioned in the metastudy is described like this: “One study evaluated the use of masks among pilgrims from Australia during the Hajj pilgrimage and reported no major difference in the risk for laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infection in the control or mask group (33).”

Read the underlying study (or its abstract) and you’ll see it says this: “Based on developing syndromic ILI, less [sic] contacts became symptomatic in the ‘mask’ tents compared to the ‘control’ tents (31% versus 53%, p= 0.04). However, laboratory results did not show any difference between the two groups. ” The study acknowledges its small sample size and concludes by saying, “This pilot study shows that a large trial to assess the effectiveness of facemasks use at Hajj is feasible.”

Again, this study suggests the waste basket fire versus flamethrower model I suggested, but the study appears to have some methodological problems and is limited by its small sample size.

And so it goes. The underlying studies consistently show that, even when the findings don’t rise to the level of statistical significance, perhaps merely due to small sample size, mask use alone or in conjunction with hand washing consistently resulted in lower rates of either clinical rates of ILI, and some, but not all, resulted in lower lab tested rates of ILI.

• Marian says:

You’re disagreeing with their conclusions, and not providing conflicting research. You asked for science, but you disagree with what is available. What is the basis for your view that masks protect us from SARS CoV2? Please provide relevant studies.

• marmocet says:

I posted links to the studies included in the metastudy you cited and showed you what the authors of those studies found. The metastudy authors base their conclusion intent-to-treat analysis of pooled data from a number of studies. This means that it is evaluating data all subjects assigned to mask wearing groups as if they wore their masks as instructed, if at all, even though most of them didn’t. This type of analytical approach fails to find a statistically significant reduction in infection rates associated with mask use, which given the low rate of protocol adherence isn’t surprising.

The authors of those underlying studies come to a different conclusion about the efficacy of masks as a tool for reducing the spread of respiratory illnesses on the basis of per-protocol analysis, which discards data produced by people assigned to mask groups who didn’t actually wear their masks (such people often made up the majority of test subjects – up to 80% in one study – assigned to “mask” groups). Using this form of analysis, researchers generally found a much more substantial decrease in infection rates among mask users, but their results were still not statistically significant because of the resulting small sample sizes.

Here’s the conclusion the authors of a study recently published in Nature reached regarding face masks:

“We identified seasonal human coronaviruses, influenza viruses and rhinoviruses in exhaled breath and coughs of children and adults with acute respiratory illness. Surgical face masks significantly reduced detection of influenza virus RNA in respiratory droplets and coronavirus RNA in aerosols, with a trend toward reduced detection of coronavirus RNA in respiratory droplets. Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals.”

• Marian says:

Here’s a recent study from Nature, but this one concludes that the aerosols get through masks.

They state: Our findings indicate that surgical masks can efficaciously reduce the emission of influenza virus particles into the environment in respiratory droplets, but not in aerosols.

My take: Whether it is the size of SARS CoV2 or the gaps around masks, we are not protecting ourselves or others from this virus by wearing them. There is no proof that they prevent transmission of SARS CoV2. Further, it is not healthy to be constantly breathing in through a mask moistened with infected droplets, to reuse a disposable mask, or to reuse a cloth mask without washing it first. Reliance on wearing a mask gives a false sense of security. Mandating their use is absurd. Enforcing compliance puts undue hardship on law enforcement officers who need to direct their efforts toward preventing real crimes. Do you really want store managers calling 911 because a customer isn’t wearing a mask?

Dr. Fauci says masks are “symbolic.”

We do not have the perfect study to settle this. We need to use what we have now to make the best decisions.

• marmocet says:

The study you’re referring to was a “detect/no detect” study. It didn’t attempt to quantify the number of virions making it through the mask, which is also an important factor. Transmission is probabilistic and depends positively on the number of virions in the environment. That’s why, for example, a HEPA filter that is 99.99% efficient at removing virions from the air is effective at preventing the spread of airborne viral illnesses in closed environments.

• Marian says:

Add this to the list of studies about the questionable effectiveness of wearing masks. SARS CoV2 is either getting through or around these masks.

• marmocet says:

The study you cite has a sample size of 4, and their own experimental data contradict their conclusion. Their data show that cotton masks considerably reduced the number of virions released into the environment by their test subjects. In addition to this, there are other problems with the study that would take a long time to go into, but fortunately the study includes a comment section where commenters have already pointed them out.

BTW, transmission of infectious disease is a process that depends on a number of stochastic processes. When a virion that causes respiratory illness enters the surrounding environment, there is a chance that it will be inhaled or ingested by a potential new host. Conditional on having been inhaled or ingested, there is a chance that it will reach a target cell and successfully infect it. The chance a virus will be transmitted from one person to another increases as the number of virions in the surrounding environment increase. Steps that result in reducing the number of virions in the surrounding environment reduce the chance that transmission will occur.

It is still an unsettled matter, but there is also some evidence to suggest that the severity of the illness that results from infection by certain viruses, including whether the infection ever reaches a clinical level, is dependent on the number of cells that are initially infected.

34. truthbomb says:

As of today, 75% or 76,315 of the alleged Wuhan virus deaths occurred in the 25 states run by Democratic governors!! 23% of the deaths in NY alone! #ShameOnDemocraticGovernors

35. warhorse says:

I’ve been wearing a mask like the Dread Pirate Roberts. mostly because the rules specify “mask” but they do not specify what sort of mask. even if they say “face covering” it is, indeed, covering part of my face.

why yes, I am a Rules Lawyer when I play dungeons and dragons, why do you ask?

36. Spurwing Plover says:

Biden needs to wear a mask like Phantom of the Opera and for the very same reason to