Holy Thursday

At the end of the liturgy on Holy Thursday evening, in every Catholic Church around the world, the Blessed Sacrament is removed to the altar of repose, the altar is stripped, the church is bare, empty. Tomb-like. It is a striking and heartbreaking tradition, and I make sure to attend each year, to allow my heart to break, my tears to fall, my spirit to be clouded in gloom and dread, preparing for Good Friday, and Christ’s passion.

This year the priests will celebrate this Mass as they have most of the Masses throughout Lent, alone, without the faithful able to attend due to the Corona virus. Most churches are now closed to the faithful, although many congregations are able to worship online, have virtual Bible classes, and many other activities.

We may be unable to congregate and worship together, but we can still worship. Easter is coming, but first, we observe Holy Thursday and Good Friday. Whatever your denomination, spare a moment to think not only of Easter, and what preparations we might be making, limited as they may be this year. Join Christians of all denominations in these next days thinking of the Last Supper, of the washing of the apostles feet, the call to serve, then the betrayal, the trial, the Passion of our Lord.

Verse Before the GospelJn 13:34

I give you a new commandment, says the Lord:
love one another as I have loved you.

Gospel Jn 13:1-15

Before the feast of Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come
to pass from this world to the Father.
He loved his own in the world and he loved them to the end.
The devil had already induced Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot, to hand him over.
So, during supper,
fully aware that the Father had put everything into his power
and that he had come from God and was returning to God,
he rose from supper and took off his outer garments.
He took a towel and tied it around his waist.
Then he poured water into a basin
and began to wash the disciples’ feet
and dry them with the towel around his waist.
He came to Simon Peter, who said to him,
“Master, are you going to wash my feet?”
Jesus answered and said to him,
“What I am doing, you do not understand now,
but you will understand later.”
Peter said to him, “You will never wash my feet.”
Jesus answered him,
“Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me.”
Simon Peter said to him,
“Master, then not only my feet, but my hands and head as well.”
Jesus said to him,
“Whoever has bathed has no need except to have his feet washed,
for he is clean all over;
so you are clean, but not all.”
For he knew who would betray him;
for this reason, he said, “Not all of you are clean.”

So when he had washed their feet
and put his garments back on and reclined at table again,
he said to them, “Do you realize what I have done for you?
You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master,’  and rightly so, for indeed I am.
If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet,
you ought to wash one another’s feet.
I have given you a model to follow,
so that as I have done for you, you should also do.”

This entry was posted in Celebrations, Christian Values, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to Holy Thursday

1. freepetta says:

In our Lord Jesus name. God Bless in this somber time. Amen 🙏

2. BetsyRossRocked says:

Praying !

3. WSB says:

🍞🍷❤️🙏✝️

4. tominellay says:

I wish you a blessed Triduum, and a joyous Easter season.

5. pap says:

Our Lord Jesus is Great and Truly Awesome. Thanks you for all that you do, God has blessed you.

6. Grandma Covfefe says:

Thank you Menagerie, for your message.
    Praying for these upcoming days.

7. Agnes says:

Here’s the link to a wonderful documentary video for the Triduum, with Biblical references and scenes from Jerusalem. Only 30 minutes. Free until Easter Sunday. Much graces and blessings for Easter, everyone!

8. Liberty ONE says:

A BIG Amen. Thank you for reminding us of this solemn time. We ALL need to pray in this time of tremendous evil which is upon us.

9. A2 says:

Just music for the triduum. 🙏

10. Ray Runge says:

Maunday Thursday was the final day of contemplation.

11. RyderLee says:

🐇🌹🕯In the Name of The Father
    The Son
    and
    The Holy Spirit 🕯🌹🐇
    💖Amen💝

12. Conservative_302 says:

Thanks for this today. It is beautiful and reminds me how the giving of yourself and loving one another is our sacred duty here on earth. I am so thankful to you and Sundance for your commitment and hard work and being a beacon of light to us everyday.

13. M. B. Lamar says:

Unite714.com is a 2 Chron 7:14 based world wide prayer movement, please take a look. We are being heard, and God answers all prayers according to his will and perfect timing. No weapon formed against us shall prosper!

• Evelyn says:

I believe the answer is on its way.

2 Chronicles 14:7 Therefore he said unto Judah, Let us build these cities, and make about them walls, and towers, gates, and bars, while the land is yet before us; because we have sought the Lord our God, we have sought him, and he hath given us rest on every side. So they built and prospered.

14. theoldgoat says:

I believe in the power of prayer, and on this Holy occasion, I believe there can be an especially strong tie to the prayers offered to defeat the evil we are facing.

While I pray for health for those who have this Chinese Virus, it is equally important to pray for this economic shut down to end. It is affecting everyone, with few exceptions, in a negative way. Investments have lost huge amounts for most people, and for those of us who might be nearing retirement it is devastating. Thousands have been lost in a short period of time. Thousands which could mean needing to labor far longer. Jobs are being lost, or “furloughed” which is nearly the same thing.

May our Lord look down on us, on the faithful, and show His mercy. May He assist in confounding the enemies of our Country that their efforts to destroy us come to naught. May the increased number of people who are returning to prayer though these times be brought to real communion with God, that we might see a revival of Spirit, and an awakening of people to the evil being done by far too many who hold positions of power. Open the hearts and minds of people around the globe to the peace which passes all understanding, to lay their cares upon the Lord, to trust in Him and His mercy to bring peace in their souls. Remove the fear which those wishing evil prevail are pushing to achieve their agendas and goals. Give the wisdom of Solomon to our President as he stalks his way through the various traps and pitfalls laid down for him by those who wish to do him and us great harm. Thank you, O Lord, for your special sacrifice which we celebrate this week, let us remember the grace You bestowed on mankind, given freely at great cost to Yourself. May we all be found worthy of that sacrifice.
    In the name of the Obedient One… Amen.

15. laurelmarycecilia says:

what an unholy time; liquor stores for the public are considered essential but Mass for the public is not! In Florida for example, Gov DeSantis has said that religious service in NOT on the ‘do-not-do-list; but the Florida Bishops still forbid public Mass I am reminded of Mt 25;23 “…..separate the sheep from the goats…”

• Don says:

AMEN TO THAT !!!!
      A POLITICIAN- who yes is Catholic (and will be a Presidential consideration for sure)- has more courage in his heart than these Bishops – who cower to the secular and join in their unending hymn of anti-religious scorn of “well Mass and the Sacraments just don’t mean that much….so they aren’t really essential”
      Really ??? We can go to HOME DEPOT OR ABC LIQUOR….. but NO Mass ??? Don’t you dare think even think about it !!!! Its a disgrace…. St. Thomas More has to be rolling in his grave…..
      Granted if you’re over 60-65 years old, yes stay at home – be safe
      But to allow the Altar to be shuttered is a crime against Christ…..
      If this is the state of courage our Catholic faith has brought us to…. then channeling that wise writer Flannery I say…… “If the Mass and the Sacraments are not that essential …Then to hell with it !!!”
      Tis the season to deny Christ…eh?

• Colleen says:

Don, agreed 100%. I’ll say only this and no more (or I’m liable to go on a nonstop rant): The bishops have utterly betrayed us, yet again, as they always do.

• That is probably one of the most upsetting things to me about this whole lockdown. I think it was on March 15th that our priest announced that there would be no more coffee/social hour, but Mass would still be held, although people were advised to stay home for their own health. On Thursday March 19th, without warning, a notice went out that Masses and all other activities would be suspended effective Friday the 20th, until further notice. The church would still be open every day from eight to noon for whoever wished to come in and pray.

Well, a group of people showed up the next Sunday morning anyway to pray and sing together. By the 29th, all of the doors had been locked with notices on them that all group prayer and worship would now have to be online or TV.

Two questions which keep running through my mind:
      What would Jesus do, and what would the early Christians do, in a similar situation? I personally believe the timing of this shutdown, by those who orchestrated it, may have been intentionally meant to isolate people from friends and family members, and prevent them from celebrating this holy season together. It looks like the church leaders bought into the secular hype. Sad!

16. Jay Currie says:

A wonderful Anglican priest who was a friend of mine once preached that, were it up to him, no one who did not come to Church on Good Friday should be allowed in Church on Easter Sunday.

There is a story here, a narrative if you will, and as the Churches are stripped bare on Thursday, in preparation for Good Friday, that story reaches its Holy dispair. We all need to know. We all need to understand Our Lord’s harrowing before the Joy of the Resurrection makes any sense at all.

“He has Risen.” is the glorious end of a tragic tale. The tragedy creates the wonder of His Resurrection and our Salvation.

17. Ausonius says:

I offered this yesterday: a marvelous religious work for Holy Week:

Theodore Dubois (1837-1924) was a French composer, who created a large number of religious works, among them Les Sept Paroles Du Christ (The Seven Last Words of Christ). The title is misleading, as “seven last statements” would be more appropriate. The text is derived from Saint Jerome’s translation of the Bible into Latin. For decades it was performed regularly throughout Christendom, in both Catholic and Protestant churches, during Lent and especially in Holy Week. If you have not heard of it, the reason lies in the unfortunate decade of the 1960’s. As with many great religious works from our Catholic musical heritage, it was mistakenly discarded back then by too many people: I have made it a tradition to play it during Holy Week in my Latin classes.
    This performance by a Catholic Choir in Korea with a symphony orchestra is not to be missed!

Part I – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K_nzI8h_qU
    Part II – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lNi18B0LGI&t=553s

The Seven Last Words of Christ by Théodore Dubois
    Introduction
    O vos omnes qui transitis per viam, attendite, et videte si est dolor sicut dolor meus.Posuit me Dominus desolatam, tota die moerore confectamne vocetis me Noemi, sed vocate me Mara.

All you who travel upon the highway, pay attention to me and see if there is any sorrow like my sorrow. The Lord has treated me bitterly. Call me Naomi (pleasantness) no longer, instead call me Mara (bitterness).

First Word
    “Pater, dimitte illis, non enim sciunt, quid faciunt.”
    Et dicebant omnes: “Reus est mortis, reus est mortis! Tolle, tolle, crucifige eum! Sanguis eius super nos et super filios nostros.” Crucifixerunt Jesum et latrones, unum a dextris et alterum a sinistris.

“Father, forgive them. They do not know what they are doing.”
    And they all said: “He should be punished with death; take him, take him, crucify him. Let his blood be on us and on our children.” They crucified Jesus and the thieves, one at his right hand and the other at his left.

Second Word
    “Hodie mecum eris in Paradiso, amen, amen, dico tibi.”
    “Domine, memento mei cum veneris in regnum tuum.”

“Amen, Amen I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”
    “Lord, remember me when you enter into your kingdom.”

Third Word
    “Mulier, ecce filius tuus.”
    Stabat Mater dolorosa iuxta crucem lacrymosa, dum pendebat Filius. Quis est homo, qui non fleret, Christi Matrem si videret, in tanto supplicio?

“Woman, behold your Son.”
    The grieving Mother stands crying at the cross, while her Son suffers punishment. Who is the person who would not weep seeing Christ’s Mother in such torment?

Fourth Word

“Deus Meus, ut quid dereliquisti Me? Omnes amici Mei dereliquerunt Me! Praevaluerunt insidiantes Mihi! Tradidit Me quem diligebam. Vinea Mea electa, Ego te plantavi! Quomodo conversa es in amaratudine ut Me crucifigeres?”

“My God, why have you deserted Me? All of My friends have deserted Me! Those who hate Me have prevailed! The one whom I loved betrayed Me. My chosen vine, I planted you; why has your taste turned so bitter that now you crucify Me?”

Fifth Word

“Sitio!”
    Judaei praetereuntes blasphemabant eum, moventes capita sua et dicentes:“Vah! Vah! Vah! Qui destruis templum Dei, si Tu es Christus, Filius Dei, descende nunc de cruce, ut videamus et credamus Tibi. Si Tu es Rex Judaeorum, salvum Te fac.”

“I thirst!”
    The Jews who were passing by blasphemed him, shaking their heads and saying: “Bah! Bah! Bah! So You would destroy the temple of God! If you are Christ, the Son of God, come down now from the cross so that we may see it and believe in You. If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!”

Sixth Word

“Pater, in manus Tuas commendo spiritum Meum. Pater Meus es Tu, Deus Meus, Susceptor salutis Meae. In manus Tuas commendo spiritum Meum.”

Father, into Your hands I commend My spirit. You are My Father, My God, My Savior. Into Your hands I commend My spirit.”

Seventh Word

Et clamans Jesus voce magna dixit: “Consummatum est!”
    Et inclinato capite, tradidit spiritum. Erat autem fere hora sexta: obscuratus est sol. Et tenebrae factae sunt in universam terram! Velum templi scissum est! Omnis terra tremuit! Petrae scissa et monumenta aperta sunt.

And crying in a loud voice, Jesus said: “It is finished!”
    And with His head bowed, He gave up His spirit. It was, however, the (ninth) hour. The sun was obscure and darkness covered the entire earth! The veil of the temple was torn! The entire earth trembled! Rocks split apart and tombs were opened!

Final Prayer

Adoramus Te, Chiste, et benedicimus Tibi, quia per sanctam crucem Tuam redemisti mundum.

We adore You, O Christ, and we bless You, because by Your holy cross You have redeemed the world.

18. Here in Georgetown County SC we have 54 known WuFlu cases and zero mortality thus far. However most churches closed due to leadership’s fear that the older members may be exposed to undue risk. (notice how churches are mostly attended by seniors? This is a bad trend!)
    Personally I’m livid over this. I cannot believe that God’s House is closed and Dollar General is open. I feel like this whole thing is on purpose and the seeds of a very bad future are being nurtured. For example- closing churches. As if Members are too stupid to make their own determination as to risk. Then there’s the Universal Basic Income scam. Free money deposited into your bank account (but not yet apparently). Does anybody think for one second that this will not be the campaign pledge from now on? “Vote for me and get your shite for free!” Guess who’s going to go down in history as the first endorser of this foolishness? Maybe Bush 43 with his $300 free money scam but more likely Republican Trump. “It was the Republicans who introduced UBI to America via Trump’s emergency rescue package. Since everything is an emergency now the free money should flow forever” Guess who pays for this? The savers. The cash you saved up by hard work, self discipline and self denial together with investing is being depreciated via dilution. If you don’t understand this truism and you have savings I urge you to get educated on fractional reserve banking and fast! The next thing we will see is price inflation. When this insane idea is enacted the price for essentials will go up A LOT! There goes your free money! Mark my words we will ALL have more net discretionary money WITHOUT this lunacy.
    So the 3 years of the Trump economy has been decimated in 2 months. Lovely. Instead of handing out free money how about the banking rules prohibiting the funding of start-ups be rescinded? (Thanks for that gem Dodd Frank!!) How about the SBA relax it’s standards on funding startups? How about raising the underlying SBA guarantee to 90% or 100% for new ventures? Since most employment and wealth creation comes from small enterprises why not incentive those initiatives rather than passing out hooker and booze cash?
    Once again we are subsidizing indolence and penalizing investment. This is going to end very badly.

• TradeBait says:

Just a point about SBA guaranties – that they are guaranties. That means they only come into play if the business defaults on the loan. So they are accounted for differently with a lower cost of capital.

This is the area of my expertise and past career. With the 100% you suggest – the lenders have the option of selling the guaranteed loans in the secondary market and making good profit while servicing the loan and making at least 1% stripped from the interest rate paid. Or the lenders can keep the loan and have zero cost of capital and no loan loss reserve required. Should the loan default, the bank does the work out on behalf of SBA at SBA’s expense and is reimbursed any shortfall on the loan resulting from a lack of recovery on any collateral (security) provided to make the loan.

So I fully agree with your thoughts. Rescind Dodd Frank today. Now. It is awful. If a business cannot survive a few months of closure, they were upside down anyway. Better to have fresh starts of new businesses as well as good loans to viable, proven businesses. Any free money should go to keep people alive until the restart, then the markets and businesses take over. It would cost far less and been much more productive to have liberal guaranties used on loans and strengthen business owners/banker relationships had they skipped the free money part.

19. aztecpiper1111 says:

Amen

20. ltravisjr says:

My church, our cathedral, has been livesreaming daily Mass first thing in the morning. I live too far away to be able to drive in every day. However, to now be able to at least watch every morning at home has become, such as only our Lord can accomplish, a blessing born of such s difficult situation. When things go back to normal I will really sense a loss of the live streaming ends.

21. FofBW says:

“Lord Spirit, pour love – real love – into my heart. Take out my earthly heart and replace it with a spiritual heart – a heart free of all selfish motives – a heart that can do nothing but love – a heart that knows no greed, or selfishness, or lukewarmness, or coldness.”
    – Mother Angelica

22. Bubby says:

John 4:23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

• Melissa says:

Thank You Bubby for that reminder! My husband and I have been studying the Bible almost every night since January 1, 2020. We felt the crushing evil all around us. We needed help, we needed God. We have two different versions that we read. His version is a dedicated study Bible. Mine is a Bible we bought while visiting The Museum of the Bible in Washington D.C. last year. So many churches have failed to warn the people about evil, about sin. I Pray for Almighty God to bring forth another Spiritual Revival here in the USA and all over the World. I love the great I AM and his Dear Son Jesus.

• Bubby says:

Melissa beautifully said. It is times like these that remind us the Church was never about bricks and mortar. At least Jesus never mentions a building but rather the Church is about the Kingdom of God! It was always greater than bricks and mortar, the Church is the fellowship of believers with or without a building. Remember the early Church was in essence in homes. So today during this evil virus forced upon us the Church is once again in homes! Godspeed to all!

23. TradeBait says:

Since this a Holy Week thread; this day is deeply troubling and painful as we enter the world of Christ at that time. I have never understood fellow Christians who spend no time contemplating the situations and reasons for Christ’s suffering. How can the resurrection mean anything of importance without understanding what happened previously that led up to it? How can you understand your own sinful separation from God versus all that is good and holy without understanding what Jesus our Lord went through to reconcile us? He’s called the perfect Lamb of God for holy reasons. The perfect sacrifice, our Christian passover with even deeper implications.

I urge my brothers and sisters to study the scriptures and dig like many of you do with current events. Understand deeply what it meant went the veil was torn in two in the temple at the hour of his death on that cross at Calvary. By that act you are provided direct access to the throne of grace when you trust in your salvation and give your life to Jesus, the Christ. Praise God!

• AMK says:

I watched an online Baptist preacher last Sunday. He focused heavily on the tearing of the veil. He described the veil size as 30‘ x 60‘, and 4 inches thick… It took 300 men to maneuver it. The fact that it was ripped in half is a feat of supernatural power.

I had never heard it described this way… Fascinating… And very uplifting to realize the power of God is real, and has been shown to us, and we have history and documents that we can refer to to relive it. Also scary, to realize how powerful HE really is!

• TMonroe says:

Another aspect of the tearing of the veil of the temple is contained in two of the Gospel accounts (Matthew 27:51, Mark 15:38):

Matthew 27:51a “And behold, the veil of the temple was torn into two from top to bottom (Gr. ap’ anōthen heōs katō eis dyo)”

The specification of the tearing starting from above is noteworthy. Also, the book of Hebrews goes into the significance of the high priest entering beyond the second veil and how that relates to Christ’s sacrifice and His work and purpose as high priest (cf. Hebrews 4:14-16, 6:16:20):

“For Christ has entered not into holy places made by hands, copies of the true ones, but into heaven itself, now to appear for us in the presence of God, nor that He should offer Himself repeatedly, just as the high priest enters into the holy places every year with the blood of another. Otherwise it was necessary for Him to have suffered repeatedly from the foundation of the world. But now He has been revealed once in the consummation of the ages for the putting away of sin by the sacrifice of Himself. And inasmuch as it is apportioned to men to die once, and after this, judgment, so also Christ, having been offered once in order to bear the sins of many, will appear for a second time, apart from sin, to those awaiting Him for salvation” (Hebrews 9:24-28).

• dorothea brooke says:

Yes, most people think that the curtain is a little one like an old fashioned kitchen curtain or a shower curtain. It was very tall and very thick as you say.

24. cycle1 says:

This live adoration chapel in Poland is quite awesome:

25. jimrockfish says:

Amen. Thank you for this today. Prayer has never meant more to me than these days.

I pray for this to end and hope people someplace today or Sunday will ignore the illegal orders and attend the church of their choice. What more fitting way to protest than attending our churches? No man can take away our rights under God to worship together.

26. Olivia Robbins says:

Will always be thankful to The Almighty for this site. May God bless all of you and those who participate in making us aware that The Father loves us. This indeed is a Holy Season and we must remember that, “When two or more are gathered in My Name, I AM with you.”

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for Your awesome sacrifice.

27. TJ says:

Thanks Menagerie. I don’t always comment, but I do read, and I will pray with you.

I hope your family and the Christmas pumpkin are ok. 🙂

• Menagerie says:

Unfortunately the Christmas pumpkin suffered a very grievous wound, but there will be others. If we were not separated by this shelter deal we would have absolutely made an Easter pumpkin, it would have been a great tool for teaching my grandson more about Christ.

Thank you so much for remembering that!

• TJ says:

How could I forget? I told the story to friends, then family, and now acquaintances all the time. It fills people with joy.

I had written more to you, but erased it, because I’m a private person, but I’ll share it with you now.

My spiritual beliefs have always been private as I feel it’s personal. Over the last few years I’ve come to this blog, the open love shared here, is not something I’m particularly familiar with, and in the past perhaps I was somewhat negative towards it.

President Trump has helped me in that regard. At first, I would cringe or rather, worry that his open spiritual beliefs would hurt him politically. It didn’t bother me, but I’ve always disliked politicians that politicized religion.

However, I made an error in my reasoning. He’s not a politician. He may not be the most eloquent when sharing his faith, as a pastor or priest might be, but it’s because of that, that I find it genuine and sincere, which makes it uplifting to me.

Your post today, did the same.

It was difficult, but your open faith and love, compelled me to say openly, “I will pray with you”. Not sure I would say it openly anywhere else, so I thought you might like to know that. A wounded Christmas pumpkin, will be part of the story now. lol. 🙂

• Menagerie says:

Thank you for sharing that, I’m glad you told me. I converted to Catholicism, but I grew up in a little neighborhood full of churches. On Saturday mornings they used to come to people’s homes to invite them to church. My parents sent me, but never went with me as a young child.

When I was a teenager I used to go to a local church many of the kids went to and they were quite aggressive in what they called altar calls. They came after me every time I went, personally, because I refused to go up there. I refused because they kept tallies of people they saved and the numbers were very, very important to them. I believed the numbers mattered and the people not so much.

For that reason I also didn’t talk about faith, prayer, or personal religious experiences outside of my family for many years, and I really did not like people who pushed their religion at me. I still don’t, but I do believe in sharing, in offering.

Bishop Robert Barron, a great Christian apologist says that we receive and are changed by God’s grace only in the measure that we give it away. I hope that I am offering a little hope, kindness, and light, but I also hope that it is coming across as an offer only, a choice people can take time to read or pass by if it isn’t for them.

It warms my heart and give me hope that people enjoy my grandson Conner’s Christmas pumpkin story so much. He has many challenges and difficulties ahead of him, and somehow this just makes me feel like God will use this very unique child and his life will be rich and full and good. Thank you for that, thank you very much.

I promise, Conner has many more pumpkin escapades ahead. He has only recently shown any interest in having a few stuffed animals. Can you guess what they are all named? 😀

28. Hoop says:

Easter Week is a fine time to watch ‘The Passion of the Christ’ –

if you have not seen it .. or if it has been a long time…

It is a Masterpiece of filmmaking – regarding the most important story ever told – just stunning – words can barely describe how moving it is. (an given the brutality involved not for the little ones…)

• CTH Fan in Los Angeles (i.e., a drop of red in a sea of blue) says:

Excellent suggestion. Here are my recommendations (in chronological order):

* The Young Messiah (2016). A story of Jesus at age 7. The scene where Mary explains to him who his real father is will bring you to tears. We showed this at our home last year before Holy Week to friends from church. None of them had ever heard of it and all of them enjoyed it.

* Ben Hur (1959). The full title, Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ, also the title of the book, published in 1880, by Civil War Union General Lew Wallace. For over 50 years after publication it was the second most popular book in the US, second on to The Bible. It was eventually knocked from that spot in 1936 by Gone with the Wind. Everyone remembers the chariot race, but the true highlight is the Crucifixion and its affect on the main character and his family. This is my “Good Friday” movie every year.

* Risen (2016). The story of the Roman Tribune who is tasked by Pontius Pilate (at the urging of the Jewish leaders) to find the dead body of Jesus to quash the “hoax” of the Resurrection which the leaders accuse the followers of Jesus of spreading. We showed this at our home to friends from church on March 8, the week before the lockdown began. None of them had ever heard of it, but all of them were moved by it.

All are available for rental on DVD/Blu-Ray from Netflix or purchase on Amazon. Enjoy!

29. Mike Robinson says:

While I am not Catholic, I enjoy attending the services that they offer at Easter time. The ceremony that you mention is one of the most stirring of all. It is, among other things, truly an act of theater. You can [i]feel[/i] it.

• Menagerie says:

You can feel it, and the emptiness and loss is profound. As is the joy at the Easter Vigil Mass when the dark and empty church is filled with the light of the faithful entering with their candles.

• Don says:

Bishop Barron refers to that as the “Theo-drama” the communal lif with God- and not our own egos.
      You describe a feeling many, many Catholics do not appreciate, or have lost, and where much of the clergy has replaced that endearing glorified beauty of God calling us at Mass with modern day concerns that please them……
      And usually while the Priest at the end of Easter (and Christmas) Mass will often encourage those who may not be weekly worshippers at Mass that “we do celebrate Mass every Sunday….. The following Sunday you can be sure many cradle Catholics will go back to finding it not worth the time or energy to give to God. A big miss.
      .”For many are called….

• Mike Robinson says:

I suppose, though, that this is between them and their God. All you can do is to be sure that the doors are open.

Religious rituals, traditional, many of them ancient, are a beautiful and moving thing. And, this might be a place where the Catholic traditions are most beautiful of all.

30. 4EDouglas says:

Lutherans do the same on Thursday night. The little church my wife and I went to on the Oregon
    coast , had the Maundy Thrusday service. the black veil the darkened church- and we left silenly. as we walked out the full moon was rising-it was a early Easter-in March. Coold and windy but as we walked out there was this little flowering plum in bloom.I will never forget the look on everyone face as we walked out. I either did not notice it going in, or it just popped into full bloom during the service.
    “He is Risen.”

31. vikingmom says:

“I hope that Treepers will unite in storming heaven with prayers for an end to this virus, a prayer for safety, for our country, our loved ones, our President, all in a position of leadership, and for our world.”

And for all to know the truth and for the truth to set us free…so applicable in SO many ways right now, isn’t it? God’s word is living and active and has something to say to us in every situation, if only we are willing to listen!!

• Lucille says:

I just received this from a friend and find it very appropriate…

Dear Father in Heaven,

You alone are worthy of honor, glory, and praise. With You, we can overcome every storm, including Covid-19. Right now, we are asking You to heal those who are sick and protect those who are not.

Give our leaders extra wisdom as they navigate this pandemic and economic uncertainty. Reveal to us how we can partner together with caring leaders and our fellow believers to reach the needs of those around us.

Strengthen Your worldwide Church. Calm our fears. Fill us with your hope, joy, and peace as we continue to trust in You. Use this pandemic to pave the way for spiritual renewal. We want Your glory, power, and healing to be on display.

Come, Lord Jesus, come.

In Jesus’s Name,

Amen.

32. mandy says:

Deeply moving Orthodox chant. (We celebrate Pascha April 19 this year.)

“For anyone who just hears this for the first time, this is chanted in every Orthodox Church and Monastery in the World on Holy Thursday before Pascha (Easter). Orthodox Christians like Orthodox Jews begin the next day the prior evening, so the crucifixion is commemorated Thursday evening.”

33. Angie says:

My church is doing a worldwide fast on Good Friday tomorrow. I know not everyone can fast, but you could find something you want to give up tomorrow if you can’t give up food. If you feel so inclined, please feel free to join in. We are fasting for “that the present pandemic may be controlled, caregivers protected, the economy strengthened, and life normalized”. I like the symbolism of the day when Christ sacrificed and died for us all that we can sacrifice food and pray for relief from the troubles that are on us. It is only a small thing for us, but what Christ did for us was he gave us victory over death. God will hear our prayers. God has not forsaken us and prayers work. Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
    Isaiah 58:7-9 in the KJV reads:

7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy reward.

9 Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am.

34. P says:

Have a blessed day everyone!

35. dorothea brooke says:

I am a cradle Catholic and love the Catholic Church. My husband and I attend Bible Study Fellowship which does not ask your denomination, but it definitely has Protestant origins. It meets once a week and is a worldwide organization. It is awesome and studies one or two books of the Bible every year. It consists of small group, individual study, and a lecture. Look it up if you are interested in knowing the Bible. There should be a group in all areas of the USA. I feel so equipped and blessed by being a part of it. It has enhanced my love of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and helped me navigate the challenges of life. God bless you all this weekend especially as we walk through the current situation in our country.