Palm Sunday, Holy Week Begins

palm-sundayMT 21:1-11

When Jesus and the disciples drew near Jerusalem
and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives,
Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them,
“Go into the village opposite you,
and immediately you will find an ass tethered,
and a colt with her.
Untie them and bring them here to me.
And if anyone should say anything to you, reply,
‘The master has need of them.’
Then he will send them at once.”
This happened so that what had been spoken through the prophet
might be fulfilled:
Say to daughter Zion,
“Behold, your king comes to you,
meek and riding on an ass,
and on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.”

The disciples went and did as Jesus had ordered them.
They brought the ass and the colt and laid their cloaks over them,
and he sat upon them.
The very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road,
while others cut branches from the trees
and strewed them on the road.
The crowds preceding him and those following
kept crying out and saying:
“Hosanna to the Son of David;
blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;
hosanna in the highest.”
And when he entered Jerusalem
the whole city was shaken and asked, “Who is this?”
And the crowds replied,
“This is Jesus the prophet, from Nazareth in Galilee.”

set my face like flintIS 50:4-7

The Lord GOD has given me
a well-trained tongue,
that I might know how to speak to the weary
a word that will rouse them.
Morning after morning
he opens my ear that I may hear;
and I have not rebelled,
have not turned back.
I gave my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who plucked my beard;
my face I did not shield
from buffets and spitting.

The Lord GOD is my help,
therefore I am not disgraced;
I have set my face like flint,
knowing that I shall not be put to shame.

What was Jesus doing at the Triumphal Entry?

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI explains:

Jesus claims the right of kings, known throughout antiquity, to requisition modes of transport.

The use of an animal on which no one had yet sat is a further pointer to the right of kings. Most striking, though, are the Old Testament allusions that give a deeper meaning to the whole episode. . . .

For now let us note this: Jesus is indeed making a royal claim. He wants his path and his action to be understood in terms of Old Testament promises that are fulfilled in his person. . . .

At the same time, through this anchoring of the text in Zechariah 9:9, a “Zealot” exegesis of the kingdom is excluded: Jesus is not building on violence; he is not instigating a military revolt against Rome. His power is of another kind: it is in God’s poverty, God’s peace, that he identifies the only power that can redeem [Jesus of Nazareth, vol. 2].

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/9-things-you-need-to-know-about-palm-passion-sunday/#ixzz3VjXWfUi3

I saw a meme a day or two. It said “This is the Lentiest Lent I have ever Lented.” Isn’t that true? This time of the Corona virus, the sheltering in place, loss of jobs, fear for lives and how we live those lives, it is forming this Holy Week into something we have never seen before as our hearts yearn toward Easter.

Will we wait impatiently, longingly even, looking forward with anticipation to the dawning of Easter Sunday and the risen Savior that day belongs to? Will we be changed as we never really have before, or will this time of being locked out of our churches remove the unseen tie that bound us, and allow us to keep on sleeping late on Sundays, and savoring those lazy family mornings?

Most of us will not be attending our churches today. We will worship in the privacy of our homes, perhaps joining our church families online. May our hearts be full of longing for Easter Sunday, and for rejoining each other when we can.

We are a people of hope. From the triumphant Palm Sunday through the agony of Good Friday, we cast our eyes with faith, hope, and love toward Easter Sunday, for we know what lies behind that stone rolled to the side is the empty tomb.

This entry was posted in Celebrations, Christian Values, Religion, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

84 Responses to Palm Sunday, Holy Week Begins

1. amazed treetop downlooker says:

HALLELUJAH & AMEN !

THX SO MUCH & GBY, SD !

• daniel1335 says:

A careful study of the Gospels will reveal that the account in Matthew, quoted here, is not the “Triumphal Entry”, but rather the fulfillment of Zechariah 9:9. The entry recorded in Matthew used two animals and took place prior to the “Triumphal Entry” as recorded in Mark, Luke and John, which only used one. Please see the Companion Bible Appendix 153 for further details and documentation.

• TMonroe says:

Careful study actually lends to this all being the same event and not separate, with the mention of two animals versus one appearing an aspect of a separate telling rather than a differentiator of events, especially with citations of fulfillment of Zech 9:9 being not only in the Matthew account but in John 12:15.

2. sunnydaze says:

3. Patrick Healy says:

Thank you Menagerie and may God protect you, Sundance and all Treepers.

4. Silas says:

My Mom always saved the palms from Palm Sunday, putting them on top of a tall cabinet in our living room. I continued the tradition and am very happy that I did as we have last years palm to hold tomorrow. May God Bless each and every one of you and keep you safe. We all need to set our faces like flint.

• annilinn says:

Silas, we did the same in my home. I also have last year’s palms from Palm Sunday. Usually by this time, I have burned them in the fireplace, but this year I did not. Happy for that. God bless.

• Nan says:

My church has “flowery Sunday” and both palms and pussy willow branches as we’re historically from an area with pussy willows but not palms. The branches are from a tree in the church yard and we supply 3 other small churches with their pussy willow branches. I have mine in a vase and when we go back to church, the first Sunday we’ll have a procession with our palms and pussy willow branches, after which I’ll add this year’s to the vase.

This is actually not the Lentiest Lent I’ve ever endured; I had a very long lent for 3 yrs when mom was in the nursing home. I didn’t think Lent would ever end.

• farmerren says:

My palms are placed every Christmas, on the top of the tree.
      Sending neighborly love to all today and onward.

5. Johnny Bravo says:

To have been there.

9 And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.

KJV – Matt 21:9

• andre says:

Folks, they can’t cancel God. Or the triumph of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and all that means to sin, death, hell and the grave and the old world order. Hallelujah what a Savior!

6. Though I am Christian, I revere our Jewish heritage in the Bible. What I’m getting resonance from this year is Passover, which begins on the 8th. We are gathered in our homes, praying that the angel of death will pass us by, and plague the wicked instead. I’ll miss the Lent services in person, but we are doing “virtual church” this year, for the safety of the vulnerable.

• Nan says:

Did you know that the Orthodox Easter is frequently a different week than the West because although the calculation is the same; the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox, theirs must also be after Passover.

I took part in the Palm Sunday procession in Jerusalem 3 yrs ago; I had gone on a package pilgrimage but went to Bethlehem for an iconography class, during which we took Palm Sunday off and took a bus with the neighboring parish to Jerusalem and were dropped off at the top of the hill to process with Christians from all over the world, there were Copts and protestants, Orthodox and Catholics, all with one objective. We walked into the city together and to St Ann’s Church. That was amazing and powerful. Jerusalem was packed that year because of Passover and both Eastern and Western Pascha.

7. Ljh says:

Excuse me for asking but why when Jesus requested an ass and a colt ie two animals, he is traditionally shown riding an ass with the colt nowhere to be seen. In your translation they are referred to in the plural yet we treat them as a conflation. I am genuinely curious, I’ve never noticed before.

• Lucille says:

Another version, the TREE OF LIFE, translates Matthew 21:6-8 as follows:

“6 The disciples went and did as Yeshua had directed them. 7 They brought the donkey and colt and put their clothing on them, and He sat on the clothing. 8 Most of the crowd spread their clothing on the road, and others began cutting branches from the trees and spreading them on the road.”

An interesting YouTube vid: Why did Jesus enter Jerusalem riding a donkey? Jerusalem In The Footsteps of Jesus…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evtOaOl1XSo

• sonshineandrain says:

The Lamsa Bible says in Matthew 21:7
      And they brought the ass and the colt,and they put their garments on the colt, and Jesus rode on it.
      This version is a translation from the Aramaic language which from my understanding is thought to be a sister dialect to the Hebrew language. Somewhat like a Southerner and a New Yorker having a conversation.

• jumpinjarhead says:

As to your last simile, it is usually a pretty one-way “conversation” as we southerners rarely can get a word in edgewise.

• GB Bari says:

I have always thought that the Scripture in Matthew 21 meant that the female donkey and her colt were brought together, stood side by side, and that the garments were laid across BOTH animals. This was done so that Jesus could sit atop them, because individually the animals were each too small to carry the weight of a full grown man.
        But I have never seen any painting or movie that depicted that interpretation.

• jephfree says:

2 different entries. Matthew 21 is His 1st entry, 6 days before Passover, with both animals, to cleanse the Temple & the presentation of the King & the Kingdom. They Rejected Him & He left to Bethany, thus choosing the ass for Him to return back on in Judgement.
      Mark 11:1-3, Luke 19:28-31 & John 12:12-15 are His 2nd entry, on the 1st day of the week, 4 days before the Passover. This is The Triumphal Entry, Palm Sunday.

Jesus’ 2nd Coming will fulfill The White Horse of Zechariah’s prophecy. Cleansing the Temple & Presentation of The King of kings & the Kingdom.

E.W. Bullinger- Companion Bible, Appendixes 153 & 156

• senda72 says:

I had the same question after reading what K-Love (Christian radio station) sent to me this morning and Menagerie’s post. From K-Love ~

Happy Palm Sunday!

Imagine yourself traveling to Jerusalem for Passover. Your family and friends are with you, and you’ve arrived at the place you will stay for several days…

Tired, dusty and in need of a nap, you’ve got a plan. You will get everyone settled and then try to sleep for a bit. However, a loud round of cheers grabs your attention. Moving to the window, you look out to see what’s going on.

It’s Jesus! This is the man you’ve heard about, and he’s riding a donkey his disciples acquired for him based on his instructions. He smiles. The colt trusts him, even without the benefit of training.

You begin to wonder: What could his arrival mean for the week ahead?

Even though it seems your plans won’t go exactly how you had imagined, you know who he is, and you can count on this to mean something good. But there are those of your friends and family who don’t know this Jesus, and might have a hard time trusting him…

One thing your friends know for sure, though: A donkey’s colt that has never been ridden must be broken and is almost impossible to ride the first time. Yet Jesus, once again, showing his authority over nature and performing another miracle, rides the colt without any trouble. The colt knows who his master is.

Like the unbroken colt, perhaps your friends just need to know Jesus for who he says he is, and trust that all of this is the prophecy fulfilled. Things are going as planned, for a reason beyond our own limited understanding.

• hillbilly4 says:

Heinrich Meyer suggests that “they spread their outer garments upon both animals, being uncertain which of them Jesus intended to mount”. It is suggested that Jesus used both, one after another: the donkey representing the Jews under the burden of the law, and the colt, the untamed gentiles.

• hillbilly4 says:

And…..Zech 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.

• Wethal says:

Perhaps because the ass was still nursing the colt, so it had to be near its mother?

• boogywstew says:

You’re not going for Our Lord riding both animals at once like a circus performer? I can’t believe how some folks will twist the Spoken Word to fit their preconceived notions. Common sense is also from Our Lord.

8. Rhi says:

Amen!
    “I have set my face like flint,
    knowing that I shall not be put to shame.”. I like that descriptor. Set jaw, steely resolve, knowing that many of the fawning crowd welcoming His triumphal entry would shouting ‘crucify him’ not long after. Steely resolve, face set like flint, even despising the shame of what He knew awaited Him. Slain before the foundation of the world was He. Yet for the joy set before Him, He endured the cross, despising the shame. Face set like flint. Only His great love for all humanity kept Him on the cross, for He could’ve called just one angel to wipe out 186,000. But He set His face like flint.

It is striking while everyone is hunkered down at home and society worldwide by and large shut down, I am reminded of the Jews in Egypt who were fearfully huddled in their homes fearing the angel of death coming, put the blood of a lamb on the doorpost of their house in the shape of a cross and were spared. Is the blood of The Lamb on the doorpost of our hearts? Be ready.

9. Angus D says:

Chambers Brothers -Time has come today

10. P says:

On today of all days 4/5/2020 (a date that will never come again), send our President an encouraging word at https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

Read Psalms, 4, 5, 45, 20 (look at vs 4 and 5); look at the titles used by the NASB.

Note: The Geneva Bible came over with the Pilgrims and was used by our founding fathers to make America great! https://genevabible.com/ Only God’s Word can MAGA and KAG!

BELIEVE HIM. TRUST HIM. REST IN HIM.

He loves us so much!

Have a blessed, joy-filled day everyone!

Num 6:24-26

• Bud says:

Yes, absolutely, did the Geneva Bible inspire out earliest settlers. John Wise, a Pastor from Ipswich Mass. spoke and wrote from the pulpit many of the inspiring words that became part of our Constitution. I have stood on the entranceway to Pastor wise’s Ipswich home. impossible to not be moved by the Christian heritage withn.

11. A2 says:

All Glory, Laud and Honour

Words:

All glory, laud, and honour
    to thee, Redeemer, King!
    to whom the lips of children
    made sweet hosannas ring.

Thou art the King of Israel,
    thou David’s royal Son,
    who in the Lord’s Name comest,
    the King and Blessed One.

The company of angels
    are praising thee on high;
    and mortal men and all things
    created make reply.

The people of the Hebrews
    with palms before thee went;
    our praise and prayer and anthems
    before thee we present.

To thee before thy passion
    they sang their hymns of praise;
    to thee, now high exalted,
    our melody we raise.

Thou didst accept their praises;
    accept the prayers we bring,
    who in all good delightest,
    thou good and gracious King.

12. Dora says:

And every sturdy Wall

The Peace of Man the Peace of God
    The Peace of Love on All

~ Arthur Guiterman ~

Happy Palm Sunday

14. Conservative_302 says:

We want for nothing. God is great.

Psalm 23
    The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever. (New King James Version)

• Bud says:

I have recited that prayer while washing my hands now.

• 4EDouglas says:

As one who has been in “the valley of the shadow” more than once, I always had the
      23rd marked in the little bible i carried in my flight bag. We are carried by God’s
      love and Grace. Sometimes while traveling through that Valley to the other side..

15. Lion2017 says:

God Bless everyone at CTH. There will be divine intervention as we enter this Holy Week! Let us keep praying!!

16. Flova says:

Same here. Still have them on the mantle.

This week and through these past weeks I have been reminded more than ever before that Jesus is the bread of life.

17. amwick says:

TY Menagerie.. It was beautiful. Yes we are hopeful, but it is a bittersweet kinda thing.

18. Patriot1783 says:

Thank you Menagerie.

19. labrat says:

My offering to my friends at the tree. My cousin Pat is a choir director at her church and since she couldn’t be at Mass today she recorded her music instead. Worth the listen IMHO.

20. Loggerman says:

That was wonderful, This will be part of our family reading this morning.

21. FofBW says:

This is truly one Lent we WILL remember Menagerie.

We will be watching Palm Sunday Mass on EWTN and participate in a Spiritual Communion with Jesus.

Make America Holy Again –

22. vikingmom says:

Thank you for this beautiful reminder of what really matters.. I confess that I almost skipped over it in order to get to the “latest news” but God prompted me to seek Him first!!! And I am so thankful that I did…

Peace that passes understanding is still available – even in times when there are far more questions than answers!

Hosanna indeed!!

23. Martin says:

The Donkey

When fishes flew and forests walked
    And figs grew upon thorn,
    Some moment when the moon was blood
    Then surely I was born; With monstrous head and sickening cry
    And ears like errant wings,
    The devil’s walking parody
    On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
    Of ancient crooked will;
    Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
    I keep my secret still. Fools! For I also had my hour;
    One far fierce hour and sweet:
    There was a shout about my ears,
    And palms before my feet.

The Donkey, by G.K. Chesterton

• P says:

Yes, and the little one that actually was chosen to carry our Lord on his back, how blessed he must have felt that holy awesome day! How carefully he must have placed his feet as he trod the path before him. Did he know Who he was carrying? I believe he did!

24. efilnikcufecin101 says:

Amen and Praise God and our Lord Jesus Christ!!
    Have a Blessed Passover Sunday Treepers!!!

25. Jeff Dooley says:

Helping our church with the stream to the saints today. Praise Jesus & the glory to God.

26. Nordo says:

We serve an awesome God. The confluence of events leads me to believe God is moving in a big way. Perhaps it’s no coincidence President Trump took his oath of office with his hand on a Bible associated with the Hebrides Revival in Scotland in the late 1940s. Praying for him, his family (especially his spiritual rock Melania) and our great United States. MAHA indeed!

27. sunnyflower5 says:

28. sunnyflower5 says:

President Trump retweet

29. Bill Dumanch says:

Amen.

30. cycle1 says:

Classic Palm Sunday hymn:

31. Olivia Robbins says:

“Through Him, with Him and in Him, all glory and honor Yours, Almighty Father.”

32. freepetta says:

Brought tears to my eyes. Holy Week is a time for reflection and prayer.
    We need Jesus more then ever now.
    God Bless Everyone.

33. jumpinjarhead says:

We are meeting in our church parking lot after confirming with govt officials it is allowed under the state-wide lock down. We do not use palms as we believe it is too easy to get lost in ritual but we certainly know and recognize this is Palm Sunday!

34. skeinster says:

A Blessed Holy Week to all here!
    Past years: a packed church, an ample supply of palms for a long procession around the grounds, a Sung Mass with the reading of the Passion from St. Matthew.
    Today: a livestreamed (Thank you, Lord, for technology!) Low Mass with no congregation, no choir and only three servers. No Passion account, only the Gospel for the Blessing of Palms
    Our hearts are sad, because we cannot celebrate this great feast with the solemnity it deserves.
    But our hearts are grateful, because whether or not we are there in person, the Holy Sacrifice is still being offered by our faithful priests.

“Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is He Who comes in the name of the Lord!”

35. WSB says:

Thank you, Menagerie. Just finished a church streaming service from Virginia! Blessings to all this Palm Sunday!

36. 4EDouglas says:

I’m a Lutheran at heart-My Lutheran roots go back to the Reformation though a Swiss ancestor.
    My wife’s got a similar background-One German ancestor who was a Missionary to the Cherokee
    in North Carolina. She is in Rehab due to a stroke. but is gaining some. I’m home alone, some support from friends and Church (Baptist) . I miss Palm Sunday our Church doesn’t do much
    except Good Friday and Easter. One reason we left the Lutheran churches in our area was the leftward slant that infected the ELCA and the local LCMS that would not sever the relationship
    due to the heresy of the ELCA. Long story there. I miss the procession of the palms,the liturgy,
    but this is not the main reason Easter and Holy week are celebrated-It is the Resurrection.
    He is risen. We cannot escape that fact. So as long as . We acknowledge the risen Christ,
    and his Divine rule.-all is well. Pray that we experience a revival in the country due to this hardship. Just simply pray, too for all who are suffering. Pary for our President and vice president. and the Cabinet to get US through this.

• 4EDouglas says:

Well, I’m very pleasantly surprised by our Co-pastor giving one of the best Palm Sunday Services I have heard. Maybe the common suffering of all of US is bringing the Church together..BTW it is being streamed..

• GB Bari says:

Interestingly, I too left the Lutheran Church (ELCA) because they succumbed to worldly influence and departed from good doctrine based on accurate Bible teaching. I agree that the focus is not on the distractions of organized religion but rather on the Word of God, and especially in this week, the realization of the miracle of Christ and our Salvation that he propitiated on the cross.

37. Steve says:

Every day is holy unto the LORD. Follow Jesus with everything in you every day. Don’t wait until some religion says to do it. Die toy yourself and carry your cross. Put your trust in Jesus only for salvation, not some church.

38. CountryDoc says:

We meet online

39. scrap1ron says:

“The one who has the Son has life. The one who does not have the Son of God does not have life.” (1 John 5:12 CSB)

40. CountryDoc says:

We are meeting on line via live you tube.

41. P says:

Palm Sunday Bible Teaching on Messiah the Prince

How timely this study is!

Father, bless us through Your word this day.

• GB Bari says:

Coincidentally P, the Blue Letter Bible website is the online bible resource that my family uses. Thank you for this reference to Pastor Chuck Smith’s lesson..

• P says:

You’re welcome GB Bari. I’m so thankful for being led to BLB and to Pastor Chuck’s bible studies. They really minister to me a lot. His study on the Book of Job was so good. I finally understood that book. It’s hard with our culture being so different from what their culture was at that time. I’m also thankful that I can study any time I want, however long I want, and can repeat a study however many times I want. I know you’ll be blessed by his teaching.

42. Sepp says:

Great Lent continues in the Orthodox Christian Church. This is the 5th Sunday of Lent and Saint Mary of Egypt is honored today. Next Sunday is Palm Sunday. Hopefully, I can add a post on the Open Thread.

The Bishops of the Christian Church at the First Œcumenical Synod at Nicæa in 325 adopted the Paschalion and Calendar (that remains in effect for most Orthodox Christians) for the determining of the date of the Lord’s Glorious Resurrection each year. Until a few centuries ago, all of Christendom used the same Ecclesiastical Calendar.

43. Grandma Covfefe says:

Thank You, Menagerie, for this beautiful message.

44. chojun says:

In 7 days, we celebrate an empty Tomb, which was once filled.

I hope everyone has a chance this week to stop for a moment and listen to His voice.