Wednesday April 1st – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

101 Responses to Wednesday April 1st – Open Thread

1. citizen817 says:

2. citizen817 says:

3. Whistling_Past says:

4. citizen817 says:

• Whistling_Past says:

Why would I – or any Christian – want to ‘Imagine there’s no Heaven?’
      No thank you.

• v4ni11ista says:

Ode to Godless Communism

Imagine there’s no Heaven.
        It’s easy, then, to lie.
        No Hell below us,
        Just worm food when you die.
        Imagine all the people
        living Stalin’s way………

You may say I’m a schemer
        But I’m not the only one.
        I hope some Che’ you’ll join us
        and your world will be all done.

• dilonsfo says:

No gloves, no masks, not 6′ apart. Singing a commie song. Lead by example.

5. Whistling_Past says:

6. Mary Van Deusen says:

A shiny new Pre-Raphaelite artist video: The art of John William Waterhouse (1849-1917) to an aria from Berlioz’ Romeo and Juliet sung by Marianne Crebassa. Daniele Gatti is conducting the National Orchestra of France.

• Mary Van Deusen says:

Just for comparison, this is an older Pre-Raphaelite video which I did for Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882) to Bach

• ledygrey says:

Wonderful, I love Waterhouse.

• Mary Van Deusen says:

Thank you, ledygrey. He doesn’t get enough attention. A friend who docents at a museum wrote that she hadn’t heard of him, which means the museum doesn’t have a piece of his work. In fact, his body of work is 1/4 of the work of the last artist I worked with. Perhaps because he worked on such large canvases. But I’m awed by the detail in a painting, and by the high quality of multiple studies before he actually settles down to oils.

• skeinster says:

Lovely, Mary!
          The Pre-R’s excelled at dramatic narrative. Very apt music choices for them.
          I love your music/art videos.

• Mary Van Deusen says:

Your kindness is so very much appreciated. I sometimes spend just as much time searching for the music as I do putting the video together. Pre-Raphaelite = Romantic to me, so Romeo and Juliet was the natural. But it took a while to find this one aria.

One of my favorite strange combinations was putting together a Joan Baez totally out of her normal works piece, Bachianas Brasileiras, by Villa Lobos, with Surrealistic art – Yves Tanguy, Kay Sage (Tanguy), Salvador Dali, Paul Delvaux, Giogio de Chirico, and Rene Magritte.

• ledygrey says:

I should have added that I have a print of “The Lady of Shalott” from the Tate Gallery hanging on my walls. My apologies for the slow reply!

7. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Mother Mary’s Advice

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

“Whatsoever He saith unto you, do it” (John 2:5).

When, at Cana’s wedding feast, the mother of Jesus had seen that the wine had run out, she had at first approached Him for help, but had received a reply which all the theologians of the centuries have not been able to soften: “Woman, what have I to do with thee? Mine hour is not yet come” (John 2:4).

She must learn the painful lesson that as Son of God He must deny the claims of any who would boast a closer relationship to Him on grounds of physical birth.

Mary must not think of Him as “My son”. She must, like every one else, learn to know Him as Her Lord and Saviour.

Humble, believing Mary could take the lesson well, however. Before this, when He had spoken in similar fashion she had “kept all these sayings in her heart”. Now she goes to the servants and says: “Whatsoever He saith unto you, do it”.

Mary would do the same today. If she could speak she would direct her worshippers to the Lord Jesus Christ, and say: “Whatsoever He saith unto you, do it”.

Strangely, the vast majority seem to think of His words only as the words which He spoke while on earth. They have forgotten or have never known that our Lord Jesus spoke again from heaven by revelation to the Apostle Paul and that in his epistles we have the words of the Lord Jesus to us today (See Galatians 1:11,12; 2:7-9).

Paul was, in a special sense, the ambassador of the rejected Lord. To him was committed “the gospel of the grace of God” (Acts 20:24) and the mystery of God’s “eternal purpose” (Eph.3:1-11). In bringing his first Epistle to Timothy to a close, he wrote: “If any man teach otherwise [than he had been teaching] and consent not to wholesome words, EVEN THE WORDS OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST…he is proud, knowing nothing…from such withdraw thyself” (ITim.6:3-5). Likewise, to the unruly Corinthians he wrote: “…If I come again, I will not spare: SINCE YE SEEK A PROOF OF CHRIST SPEAKING IN ME…” (II Cor.13:2,3).

Mary’s advice today would be to believe the gospel that Paul preached, “…how that CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS according to the Scriptures…was buried, and…rose again the third day…” (ICor.15:3,4).

John 2:4 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
    5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.

Galatians 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
    12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Galatians 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
    8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
    9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Ephesians 3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
    2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
    3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
    4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
    5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
    7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
    8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
    10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
    11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
    4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
    5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

2 Corinthians 13:2 I told you before, and foretell you, as if I were present, the second time; and being absent now I write to them which heretofore have sinned, and to all other, that, if I come again, I will not spare:
    3 Since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you.

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
    4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

8. Garrison Hall says:

9. The Devilbat says:

I came across this article from IsraelUnwired. I often read it, not that I am Jewish as they have good articles. There is a video link that shows a Hasidic Jewish funeral home in Brooklyn NY. If there is still anyone out there who thinks covid-19 is just the flu they need to watch this video and ask themselves if funeral homes go through this every flu season?

WARNING: The video is highly disturbing. This is obviously NOT the flu.

10. Lucille says:

THIS DAY IN HISTORY…The World War II Battle for Okinawa…WE REMEMBER THE SACRIFICES AND SERVICE TO OUR NATION….

The Battle of Okinawa (April 1, 1945-June 22, 1945) was the last major battle of World War II

US Fleet Prepares for Okinawa

• Linda K. says:

Where is Dora?

• Sepp says:

A few days back her absence was noted, too. Her last postings were March 18th according to someone else who checked the archives here. She is in New York State.

• Jim in TN says:

On Aug 9th 1945, a few hours before the 2nd atomic bomb was dropped, a 1.5 million man Soviet army invaded Manchuria, which was defended by a 700,000 man Japanese army. That was the last major campaign in WWII. A campaign that large is likely to have separate battles, but I am not aware if that is how people think of it. But there was major fighting and the Japanese were routed. Soviets even reached Korea.

I do not wish to detract from the sacrifices made in and around Okinawa, by the troops and sailors who fought and died. Unfortunately, and I see this on TV history a lot, historians tend to use imprecise descriptions and focus mostly on their own country’s contributions. This myopia is so bad that many descriptions of the Pacific war leave out McArthur’s entire New Guinea campaign having him magically appear in the Philippines in 1944.

Fighting in the Philippines continued to the war’s end. There were many invasions in that campaign. Not sure if any happened after Okinawa, but the big ones were prior. Nor do I know whether or not there were major battles in the Philippines after Okinawa.

BTW, the same historians who tell us that Okinawa was the last major battle will break into war themselves to argue whether the Atom Bombs or the Soviet Invasion of Manchuria was the cause of Japan’s surrender. So they know better.

11. Talented family sings witty “lockdown” lyrics to the tune of One Day More. Fun!

12. Troublemaker10 says:

13. Linda K. says:

Everyone has such a classy contribution today and all I have is this story about a man leading the police on a wild chase, while
    teaching his dog (sweet girl) how to drive.

• Jim in TN says:

Sounds like Bill Murray letting the groundhog drive after he kidnapped it in that movie where he is cursed to repeatedly wake up to Sonny and Cher in the morning.

14. Garrison Hall says:

I like dog stories with happy endings. Pitbull saves friend who was attacked by coyotes.

• Linda K. says:

I like to think the dog in my story will get a better home!
      Pitbills are very capable dogs. I wanted to get one at one point and my Dad told me I might as well get a lion. He loved animals but thought Pits were tough on other animals in the neighborhood. Not this one though.

• Ray Runge says:

Here in Houston, south of Magnolia, and a more urban settging, coyotes are part of the landscape. Pack predators they are but often thin and not very fearful of humans.

Our smaller dog, a papillion and weiner mix, was cornered and bitten in the chest and was quickly found and required 48 hours of veterinarian care. The urban prairie and a forested buffer was cleaned out on ground level and the pack animals have a decreased environment to hide, shelter and hunt.

The chorus in response to police sirens remain a frequent reminder.

• kurtmandoo says:

Good story,…but, NOT a pitbull.
      Dogo Argentino,… like the news dude says.

15. Linda K. says:

Odin, the Pyrenees, was a hero during the Tubbs fire here in Northern California a couple of years ago. His job was to watch the goat herd at night and the fire came..

16. nimrodman says:

17. Janie M. says:

A site you can subscribe (it’s free) to for emails regarding the status of the availability of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine for treatment of Coronavirus is the FDA. This source was handy to have when we went through the contaminated romaine lettuce (from CA) recalls a few years ago and they have kept me apprised of food, OTC and prescription medications, etc. recalls that have occurred since then as well.

• Garrison Hall says:

Thanks, Janie. Just found this. 🙂

• Janie M. says:

Garrison, I have found it’s best to get all recall info. from the FDA because of its accuracy/quantity of information and it covers the entire US. You don’t have to rely on your local news publications or TV news (I haven’t watched it for years), emails are best for my needs. You can archive what is of importance to you, which is a handy feature.

18. Jase says:

All things bright and beautiful
    All creatures great and small
    All things wise and wonderful
    The Chinese eat them all.

19. Eaglet says:

This is a wild Bald Eagle nest in NE Florida. The bonded pair Samson and Gabrielle are successfully raising 2 eaglets, Romy and Jules (eaglets are now 5 weeks old). The AEF is a wonderful organization and if you are getting cabin fever or just need something to read/watch, maybe check out this live web cam. Bald Eagles are so smart.

20. just stevie says:

HEARTINESS v. HEARTLESSNESS TOWARDS OTHERS

“It is Christ…who also maketh intercession for us.” “The Spirit…maketh intercession for the saints.” Romans viii. 34, 27

Do we need any more arguments than this to become intercessors – that Christ “ever liveth to make intercession;” that the Holy Spirit “maketh intercession for the saints”? Are we living in such a vital relationship to our fellow men that we do the work of intercession as the Spirit-taught children of God? Begin with the circumstances we are in – our homes, our business, our country, the present crisis as it touches us and others – are these things crushing us? Are they badgering us out of the presence of God and leaving us no time for worship? Then let us call a halt, and get into such living relationship with God that our relationship to others may be maintained on the line of intercession whereby God works His marvels.

Beware of outstripping God by your very longing to do His will. We run ahead of Him in a thousand and one activities, consequently we get so burdened with persons and with difficulties that we do not worship God, we do not intercede. If once the burden and the pressure come upon us and we are not in the worshipping attitude, it will produce not only hardness toward God but despair in our own souls. God continually introduces us to people for whom we have no affinity, and unless we are worshipping God, the most natural thing to do is to treat them heartlessly, to give them a text like the jab of a spear, or leave them with a rapped-out counsel of God and go. A heartless Christian must be a terrible grief to Our Lord.

Are we in the direct line of the intercession of our Lord and of the Holy Spirit?

Oswald Chambers
    April 1st Devotional

21. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day for Wednesday, April 1, 2020

“Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:”
    Jeremiah 32:17 (KJV)

22. johnd500000 says:

Thank you Sundance and team CTH!

And thank you Lord Jesus Christ.

23. johnd500000 says:

Thank you Sundance and team CTH!

And thank you Lord Jesus Christ.

24. Jeff says:

These are grim times indeed. Which is why it’s more important than ever to remember to laugh every once in a while.

25. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

26. ImpeachEmAll says:

clif
    @clif_high

Age of Aquarius – knowledge actually moving more rapidly now.

27. ImpeachEmAll says:

One must ask, “Why?”

28. Angus D says:

CHINESE WUHAN VIRUS
    2020 CHINESE WORLDWIDE RECESSION

29. Sepp says:

. . . but deliver us from the Evil One.

30. skeinster says:

Had a thought: St. Joseph, the Foster Father of Our Lord, is the patron saint of workers.
    Anyone interested in praying for the workers of America might like this 30-day Novena to him:

It’s a long one, but we’re serious about this. If started today, it would end at the end of April.
    St. Joseph, Patron of Workers, pray for us!

31. Sepp says:

To Ponder

Let me ponder on the Lord Jesus crucified on the Cross:

1. On the pain He suffered on the Cross.
    2. How they gave Him vinegar and gall to drink when He said that He was thirsty.
    3. How the people below the Cross were numbed by selfishness, thinking not of Him but of plundering His clothes.

From “The Prologue from Ohrid” by Saint Nikolai (Serbian-born Bishop who reposed in the USA and was a former prisoner at Dachau).

Today is March 19th on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church and April 1st on the civil calendar.

32. Brian L says:

My sister is a social worker at a hospital and was diagnosed with the ‘Rona last Tuesday, yesterday she was admitted into the ER with pneumonia. Normally we wouldn’t be worried, she’s young, she would pull through. Unfortunately, she also has crohn’s disease and is also seven and a half months pregnant, the baby was making it almost impossible for her to breath. Yesterday night an emergency C-section was preformed, Alexander was born a month and a half early, and is now in an incubator while my sister recovers.

33. Neo says:

In a tweet quoted by former Ambassador Rice, it was also claimed that the Hungarians would be handing down prison sentences of up to 5 years for “spreading fake news and rumours”.

Now, why would Susan Rice worry about that ?

34. F.D.R. in Hell says:

35. Sepp says:

Great Lent continues in the Orthodox Church.

The Prayer of Saint Ephraim of Syria is typically part of morning and evening prayers during the week for most of the faithful along with the normal fasting practices of Great Lent.

This evening includes the Great Canon of Repentance by Saint Andrew of Crete (+ 7th century) in its entirety. It was prayed in four parts on the first four evenings of the First Week of Great Lent.

The All-Glorious Resurrection of Christ Our Savior is celebrated on April 6th on the Church Calendar (that is April 19th on the civil calendar) this year. That date is in accordance with the Paschalion as adopted by the Christian Church at the First Œcumenical Synod at Nicæa in 325.

This particular season of Great Lent sees a different set of circumstances.

One Bishop in particular has asked the faithful to process inside their homes (and outside in the yard if possible) with the Precious and Life-giving Cross and the Holy Icons and to pray at the same time at home together, each household, evenings at 9:00 PM Eastern Time.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me a sinner.

36. mopar2016 says:

God bless Sundance, CTH crew, and all Treepers. Thank You.
    “Just Between you and Me” I’m a little bit country.

Mopar’s final post.
    MAGA

37. ImpeachEmAll says:

Viewing all these post is making me a little thirsty.

Time for a CORONATINI COCKTAIL… 😉

38. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

39. bessie2003 says:

On a lighter note, museum asks people to recreate famous paintings with objects found in their home:

40. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

41. WY Farmers Wife says:

Did you all see the report by Tucker on the Department of Homeland Security (Chad Wolf) giving out 35,000 more Bonus Visas to total 100,000 visas’ while our people are unemployed – What the He##!
    Also, DHS is granting 85, 000 H1B Lottery plus agricultural green cards for October – President Trump can stop ALL of this – we will NEED these jobs!! – under Section 118(F) title 8.
    Sundance? Help!! I don’t actually like Tucker much but this is horrific.

42. We will soon see people here claiming this is only because they are Christian! / S

Police Shut Down Hobby Lobby Stores in Midwest After Stores Remain Open in Defiance of Coronavirus Lockdown — Moms with Children Hurt the Most https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/04/police-shut-down-hobby-lobby-stores-in-midwest-after-stores-remain-open-in-defiance-of-coronavirus-lockdown-moms-with-children-hurt-the-most/

43. Sepp says:

An Orthodox Prayer for Deliverance from COVID-19

O God Almighty, Lord of Heaven and earth, and of all creation visible and invisible, in Thine ineffable goodness, look down upon us, Thy people gathered in Thy Holy Name. Be Thou our helper and defender in this day of affliction. Thou knowest our weakness. Thou hearest our cry in repentance and contrition of heart. O Lord who lovest mankind, deliver us from the impending threat of the Corona Virus. Send Thine angel to watch over us and protect us. Grant health and recovery to those suffering from this virus. Guide the hands of physicians and preserve those who are healthy. Enable us to continue to serve our suffering brothers and sisters in peace that together we may glorify Thy most honorable and majestic Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages.

Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us! Amen!

44. NoTwoSystemsOnlyOneChiCom says:

Instead of the ‘Just, Bend Over’ method states are taking, why not incorporate the Macau and Swedish, wow, model, and live. https://www.macaupostdaily.com/article8017.html

45. rebel53blog says:

Wish You Were Here – Six String Soldiers

46. Janie M. says:

The engineer is nuttier than a fruit cake. My son just informed me about this “incident.” I hope he gets a psych evaluation in addition to the full 20 years.

Prosecutors: Engineer deliberately ran train off tracks in attempt to smash the USNS Mercy

[snip]
    “SAN PEDRO, LOS ANGELES (KABC) — An engineer deliberately ran a train off the tracks at high speed near the Port of Los Angeles in an attempt to crash into and damage the USNS Mercy hospital ship, prosecutors say.

The Pacific Harbor Line train derailed Tuesday, running through the end of the track and crashing through barriers, finally coming to rest about 250 yards from the docked naval ship.”