Monday March 30th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to Monday March 30th – Open Thread

1. Whistling_Past says:

2. Lucille says:

HAPPY BENCH MONDAY….

Prague, Czech Republic…

Italy…

Robinson, Illinois, 1940…

Jamestown, Rhode Island…

Austin, Texas…

Have a restful and blessed day!

• Mary Ann says:

1940.. beef at 9 cents a pound.. Inflation has caught up with us..
      Great photos!

• I know, right? But 3lbs of oleo for 25 cents seems a little high. Of course, I wonder how many people these days would even know what “oleo” IS?

• Lanna says:

The dairy farmers lobbied legislators to heavily tax oleomargarine — 2¢/lb. They also got a ban in most states on adding yellow food dye to the normally white oleo. This ban lasted into the 1900s but oleo manufacturers found a work around when they added a small packet of yellow dye with each block of oleo. The purchaser then had to mix the dye into the oleo to get a butter substitute that looked like butter.

This is according to my aunt, born 1927. As a child, it was her job to use her hands to squish the dye into the white oleo. She also told me that some states required oleo to be dyed pink to make it unappetizing to protect the butter industry!

• Ya gotta love special interest lobbying, right?

• Remember when they said butter was BAD for you, and sold margarine as a HEALTHY substitute?

Nowadays the hipsters seek out ALL NATURAL BUTTER as a healthy replacement to margarine. Go figure.The ouroboros is alive and well…

• Patrick Healy says:

On that subject do you Americans have the same problem as us here in the Soviet republic of Britannia.
              It is impossible to get real milk in any restaurant (when they are open). All we can get is the skimmed pee which I cannot stand.

• I haven’t experienced any problems getting milk for the grandkids when dining out, but I never noticed if it was whole milk, or the “reduced fat” 2% or 1% variety. The grandson prefers 2%, but the granddaughter seems to like whole milk. He hasn’t asked for milk in yrs (he’s 17) but she’s only 5 now, and gets it often and never complains.

3. Garrison Hall says:

• the5thranchhand says:

Sweet…………Thank you for sharing.

• GB Bari says:

Dang, Garrison!
      You introduced me to yet another fantastic group I’d never heard of before.
      Just listened to about 5 other tunes by the same group at the same location.
      Foot tappin’ music supreme.
      They’re all really good. I really like her voice and her fiddling isn’t too shabby either.
      Just added two of their albums to my library.

4. Mary Van Deusen says:

Cadfael – Simple Gifts – Judy Collins, Celtic Christmas

5. czarowniczy says:

Still no answer from news folks on why all of that post-911 bio-attack panic planning all went to compost when it could have such a handy plan and supplies to have around for this. I have an email in to our city commissionperson asking what happened to all of those plans, wondering what (if any) answer I’ll get?

One local hospital that was very proactive, it even built its own bio-attack response plan and invited other hospitals and city agencies in to be part of a tabletop so other hospitals could build their own plans and the city could partner in. Those plans, as I’ve said, would have worked perfectly in this crisis and included a stockpile of supplies that would be used and replaced that are sorely needed now. Ah well, as pawns we’re not supposed to complain about the play, we’re just supposed to be quietly played.

6. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Will the Earth Be Destroyed?

By Pastor Ricky Kurth

“Pastor Stam wrote that ‘the earth will never be destroyed,’ that it will be made new instead (Rev. 21:1). What do you say about 2 Peter 3:10,11?”

“…the earth…shall be burned up…all these things shall be dissolved…” (2 Pet. 3:10,11).

Paul uses that same word “dissolved” to describe the dissolution of our physical bodies when we die, saying, “if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God…eternal in the heavens” (2 Cor. 5:1). When our bodies die, they dissolve. Ecclesiastes 12:7 says, “then shall the dust return to the earth.”

Yet in speaking about the day of his resurrection (Job 19:25), Job wrote, “in my flesh shall I see God: whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another” (Job 19:26,27). That means that the physical bodies we have now are the same ones we’ll have for all eternity, even though the Bible says they are “dissolved” at death. Our bodies will be made new, but Job says they will be the same flesh.

We know that our experience as members of the Body of Christ will be the same as Job’s, for our apostle tells us that at the Rapture the Lord will “change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto His glorious body” (Phil. 3:21). And in speaking of His glorious resurrection body, the Lord echoed Job’s words when He said, “Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I myself” (Luke 24:39). He told them to handle His hands and feet because His new body still bore the wounds His old flesh incurred (John 20:27).

Of course, the glory of our new resurrection bodies will greatly exceed the glory of the body we plant in the ground. It will exceed it in glory as much as a six foot stalk of corn exceeds the kernel of corn that farmers plant in the ground (1 Cor. 15:35-38). But it will still be the body that is dissolved in the ground, just as the corn stalk is still that same kernel of corn. That’s the point of Paul’s comparison.

So when Peter uses that same word to say that the world will be “dissolved,” I have to think that the same thing applies to the earth. It will be a new earth, a much more glorious earth, but it will still be the same earth.

Someone else responded to Pastor Stam’s article to point out that John saw a vision in which the first earth was “passed away” (Rev. 21:1). But in that same Two Minutes devotional, Pastor Stam went on to cite verse 5, saying, “He didn’t say ‘I make all new things,’ but ‘I make all things new.’ There is a difference.”

Revelation 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
    11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Job 19:25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
    26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
    27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Philippians 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Luke 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

John 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

1 Corinthians 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
    36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
    37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:
    38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

7. citizen817 says:

8. Lucille says:

Nostalgic fun: Cash and Cline are in the first 10 minutes…
    Tex Ritter’s Ranch Party (1957) – Johnny Cash, Bobby Helms & Patsy Cline

Tex Ritter was John Ritter’s father…

9. citizen817 says:

10. citizen817 says:

11. “And you love me till my heart stops” !

12. Janie M. says:

This year is my 8th (I believe) year of following Cornell’s Red-tailed Hawks. Mama, Big Red (BR), is currently incubating 3 precious eggs (her usual annual number). Cornell installed cams on the nest sites (2 huge light platforms at both ends of their athletic field) since they may switch from year to year.

On occasion, she will grudgingly allow her mate (Arthur) to assume incubation duties at his persistence (he walks on top of her) 😆 He’s very hands-on. He will hunt for prey to keep her fed and give her some time off. So, in approximately 32 or so days, the chicks will start hatching. It has been amazing to watch those little white fluff balls transition to their adult plumage over the proceeding months.

13. Jase says:

Ok, it’s been six weeks now. Can I have a shower yet, or do I just keep washing my hands?

14. Jacaranda11816 says:

A birdsong opera for bird lovers…

15. TwoLaine says:

Another Wuhan China Coronavirus message today from Jeff Dunham and his 4-year old twins Jack and James, or maybe it was James and Jack… Anyway, it’s all about the toilet paper. Enjoy! 🙂

16. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day for Monday, March 30, 2020

“Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:”
    Proverbs 6:6 (KJV)

17. just stevie says:

HOLINESS v. HARDNESS TOWARDS GOD

“And He…wondered that there was no intercessor.” Isaiah lix. 16

The reason many of us leave off praying and become hard towards God is because we have only a sentimental interest in prayer. It sounds right to say that we pray; we read books on prayer which tell us that prayer is beneficial, that our minds are quieted and our souls uplifted when we pray; but Isaiah implies that God is amazed at such thoughts of prayer.

Worship and intercession must go together, the one is impossible without the other. Intercession means that we rouse ourselves up to get the mind of Christ about the one for whom we pray. Too often instead of worshipping God, we construct statements as to how prayer works. Are we worshipping or are we in dispute with God – “I don’t see how You are going to do it.” This is a sure sign that we are not worshipping. When we lose sight of God we become hard and dogmatic. We hurl our own petitions at God’s throne and dictate to Him as to what we wish Him to do. We do not worship God, nor do we seek to form the mind of Christ. If we are hard towards God, we will become hard towards other people.

Are we so worshipping God that we rouse ourselves up to lay hold on Him so that we may be brought into contact with His mind about the ones for whom we pray? Are we living in a holy relationship to God, or are we hard and dogmatic?

“But there is no one interceding properly” – then be that one yourself, be the one who worships God and who lives in holy relationship to Him. Get into the real work of intercession, and remember it is a work, a work that taxes every power; but a work which has no snare. Preaching the gospel has a snare; intercessory prayer has none.

Oswald Chambers
    March 30th Devotional

18. Sepp says:

. . . but deliver us from the Evil One.

19. From the “WHAT was he THINKING?” file:

Or was he just OVERthinking the problem?

20. HUMOR… America’s Not-So-Secret Weapon!

Catch it! (The humor… NOT the virus!)

21. Sepp says:

To Ponder

Let me ponder on the Lord Jesus on Golgotha:

1. How the soldiers stripped Him of His clothing, and He kept silent and did not defend Himself.
    2. How they nailed Him to the Cross, and He kept silent and did not defend Himself.
    3. How they raised the Cross amid tumult and hubbub and set it aright, and the Lord kept silent.

From “The Prologue from Ohrid” by Saint Nikolai (Serbian-born Bishop who reposed in the USA and was a former prisoner at Dachau).

Today is March 17th on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church and March 30th on the civil calendar.

22. David says:

I am not a conspiracy theorist but the below article if from one of the leading news outlets in Israel. Interesting! Shalom.

23. Deplorable_Infidel says:

The latest news from a dear friend in Virginia, via text message:

“Gov Northam made it official. Executive Order. “Stay At Home.” He mentioned he got word that this past weekend parks and beaches were packed.”

He sent me a picture of a parking lot over the weekend.

24. Sepp says:

An Orthodox Prayer for Deliverance from COVID-19

O God Almighty, Lord of Heaven and earth, and of all creation visible and invisible, in Thine ineffable goodness look down upon us, Thy people gathered in Thy Holy Name. Be Thou our helper and defender in this day of affliction. Thou knowest our weakness. Thou hearest our cry in repentance and contrition of heart. O Lord who lovest mankind, deliver us from the impending threat of the Corona Virus. Send Thine angel to watch over us and protect us. Grant health and recovery to those suffering from this virus. Guide the hands of physicians and preserve those who are healthy. Enable us to continue to serve our suffering brothers and sisters in peace that together we may glorify Thy most honorable and majestic Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages.

Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers,,Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us! Amen!

25. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

26. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.