Lt. General Semonite Discusses Coronavirus Mitigation Effort…

Beware of Lt. Gen. Todd Semonite. A review of his social media shows a strong political alignment with team “resistance“.  The head of the Army Corps of Engineers appears with Martha MacCallum to discuss his efforts within the COVID-19 response team.

[LINK]

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, CDC, Coronavirus, Infectious Disease, media bias, Notorious Liars, President Trump, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

163 Responses to Lt. General Semonite Discusses Coronavirus Mitigation Effort…

1. freepetta says:

Sounds like an A** HOLE 🕳

• BuckyBadger says:

Did everyone actually watch this or is everyone just commenting on comments? He said he was very proud to be part of the team, starting at the top with President Trump and Pence, all the way down. Very complimentary of FEMA, DOD, Governors, Mayors, etc. His biggest concern isn’t the ability to create hospitals, it’s to staff them all

He is probably right.

• freepetta says:

We shall see where his political ideology stands. I’m very suspicious, his body language was telling a different story.

• BuckyBadger says:

I’m suspicious of everyone in government and this guy may just be another in a long line deserving it. Time will tell.

Having watched the whole video, I kept waiting for what was creating all the comments and just didn’t hear it.

Regardless of how this guy turns out, it sure is amazing how quickly we can build additional hospitals in our country when the top of the leadership says, get this done. NOW.

Gotta Love #TrumpSpeed!

• Joseph S says:

“We shall see where his political ideology stands.”
          And here I thought political commissars in to keep the military in line were a thing of the left. That “This a city and state responsibility” line, why we can’t have that! Did you hear that line about “staff” being the critical path? Good thing we subsidized all those gender studies majors with federally backed student loans.

• freepetta says:

Unfortunately the libs have made political persuasion an important feature for any position.
            Look at abortion, it’s a litmus test for any lib political appointment. If you don’t want dead babies then you’re unqualified.
            Have to be realistic how the current state of affairs works.
            💁🏻‍♀️

• aknakon says:

I watched it in it’s entirety. Before seeing this post or knowing anything else about him I suspected he was team swamp resistance. He, not prompted on more than one occasion, praised Andrew Cuomo and, even more curiously, Bill DeBlasio. He said a few things to me that were A off and B overtly praising of those doing the least to assist.

My take away was that he was a democrat trying to keep his job but minimize as much as possible the efforts of this administration. No he did not overtly critique the administrations efforts but he was very willing to share the credit with every democrat he could think of. It reminded me of Dr. Fauci’s Sunday talk show appearance where he praised the “window of opportunity” Nancy Pelosi spoke of (or provided) I can’t remember which one he used. Him and Gen. Semonite seem like they are not fully on board but do not want to so much as to get side lined during this pandemic. I suspect in the “after action” report Nancy Pelosi is already touting both of these men will step forward with subtle but clear criticism of the handling of this pandemic by this president.

• MaineCoon says:

You heard what I heard – snippets of praise for Cuomo & DeBlasio. Definite red flags. Suspect the foot soldiers know where he stands. I trust Sundance’s radar.

• frankmystery says:

That’s a good point. We need to recognize these public figures closer to Trump might be used later for house led efforts to deconstruct the aftermath.

• GB Bari says:

He may well be part of the Resistance. I absolutely respect Sundances expertise in performing backgrounds on political characters of all persuasions.

I watched and listened carefully. I did not detect any code words or any body language or any obfuscation in his replies to McCallums questions.

LtG Semonite appeared (to me) to be focused strictly on the mission to which he was assigned to carry out. McCallum gave him an opening to criticize his superiors (assume that includes the President) by asking Semonite if he thought about what more he might have done if he had been afforded an earlier start, and given more advanced notice to accomplish the task. He conspicuously but politely swatted that trap away, and stayed zeroed in on simply describing the task he was given and how his team pulled it off.

I don’t know his issues with the President, but IMHO this LTG showed no disrespect to his CIC in this particular interview.

• MAGA Minuteman says:

First, I have learned that if Sundance gives it the suspicious cat look, keep watching and Sundance will be proven right.

I can’t stand Martha so that may have put me in the “oh yuck” mindset right off the bat, watching the video. Here’s what I saw…

He said right at the start, “when the governor called me”. I have to ask the question, why is a state governor calling a leader of the Department of Defense? DOD is under federal control, not state control. Why is a governor communicating with the DOD? Those communications should be going through the chain of command. It’s subtle, but seemed weird. He then went on to praise the governor and mayor indicating they are “the ones who made the call and put the plan in action”.

I don’t believe the Army Corps of Engineers falls under the state control like the National Guard does so it just seemed weird that he appeared to be taking his marching orders from the governor. I could be wrong, but it just seemed odd. It could very well be that POTUS, SECDEF & Army Chief of Staff (his chain of command) instructed him to contact the governors directly to give them whatever help they need due to the state of emergency.

Towards the end of the interview he said he will stay in his swim lane of constructing the facilities and not opine on the other two buckets. But then he went right ahead and jumped out of his swim lane and opined about a potential crisis of not enough health care workers. Way to stay in your swim lane!

Similar to Dr. Fauci, when listening to him you like most of what you hear, but then he drops some bomb that an uninformed (uncritical) public would not be able to extract and call BS on. Like when Dr. Fauci dropped that little BS nugget of “we’ll be in this for eight months” out of the blue with no data to support it.

He did praise the Predisent and VP and the entire team at the end of interview (when some viewers have already tuned out), but it seemed like faint praise compared to the praise he gave the governor and mayor at the beginning of interview (when most viewers are watching) for “calling him and getting the plan in motion”.

• GB Bari says:

I think Semonite was responding to McCallums question about whether the Army would be supplying medical staff as well. It would not require a big leap of knowledge for Semonite to realize that a completely new hospital needs to be staffed, and that trained teams of doctors, PAs and nurses aren’t waiting around for work.

I was curious about the same issue. From Where are the authorities going to obtain additional staff for the new facilities? Given the ongoing “crisis” it would seem the existing hospitals are using all available medical personnel who are qualified and available for 24/7 care. Semonite didn’t attempt to answer McCallum, he simply agreed that finding the staff would be more the challenge than setting up the facility.

And as far as talking about the Governor, it was apparent elsewhere in the interview that Semonite was first contacted and ordered by SecDef Mark Esper, not POTUS. That’s proper chain of command. I doubt Semonite has had much if any direct contact with the President. So Semonite had to coordinate with New York officials about finding the right existing facilities to adapt to a temporary hospital. He would logically have dealt with them instead of the President.

I’m not seeing the bias from this interview, despite looking for it based on his reported political leanings.

• Your Tour Guide says:

His specific mention of the governor is part of
              the narrative. They (the MSM) are trying to make
              Cuomo look statesmanlike, while making Trump
              look inept.

It’s already working among the less discerning of
              my coworkers. I’m hearing from multiple foreign
              born, Trump hating, male coworkers that Cuomo
              sounds ‘smart”. And, he’s the one that should run
              for President. The fix is on.

The guy’s pulling a Fauci here. Reporting back
              in a manner where what the boss’s actions
              (Trump) are underway. Avoiding criciticism of Trump.
              But elevating Cumo to make it look like Trump was
              late to the game.

• GB Bari says:

You’re welcome to your opinion. I watched this twice now. He had to deal with Cuomo so I do Not in any way see his mentioning the governor as code for “I Love Cuomo and hate Trump”.

• ms doodlebug says:

I agree. I respect the effort to present the many aspects, but sometimes this ‘but Sundance says’ makes CTH seem like a sound chamber. So far in life, I’ve never met an infallible person who is never mistaken.

• GB Bari says:

I may be missing the obvious “code” or outward signs that the guy is anti-Trump and a DemoRAT sycophant. But in this interview he seemed positive and proud of what he had accomplished and he was energized for the interview. Like I wrote previously, he really did not interface with the President so I didn’t see any legitimate reason for him to stand there and lavish praise on the President when he is merely a soldier doing a job assigned to him by Mark Esper. The success of his mission did in fact depend on cooperation by Cuomo and DeBlasio, both of whom I detest but apparently they provided the local info and resources that Semonite needed.

• Unappreciated by many:

The Civil side of the Army Corps of Engineers works with all states all the time.

We could expect its leader to have relationships with key big-state leaders.

• MAGA Minuteman says:

GB, after watching it again, I guess I was a little quick to judge. Ultimately, the goal is to get everyone working towards the common cause and that appears to be what is taking place here.

Would like to have seen more credit given to President Trump’s Team upfront, but big picture, the work is getting done so cudos to all involved.

• GB Bari says:

Glad you reassessed. I believe Sundance and we must continue to be vigilant if this LTG pops up again. Maybe he understands better than some in the DOD that PDJT is his CIC and he should not undermine the President on national television. Time will tell if that’s true.

• Agree, GB.

As for his comments RE Cuomo and DeBlasio:
          • He did not seem overly effusive.
          • He did not comment with political tone or innuendo.
          • He recognized their collaboration
          … as you would expect of any military leader supporting civilian politicians
          … and as POTUS typically does for those he’s working with.

Sundance provided no support for his “BEWARE” introduction.
          … Surprisingly and Uncharacteristically.

• Janice says:

She just couldn’t help herself could she?

• MGBSE says:

The point… pay attention!
        His past words indicate a “resist” sentiment… so we watch… will he DO HIS JOB per his Commander in Chief’s request … regardless of his personal opinions…or not?

• Orygun says:

He just sounds like a guy who likes his job. If we weren’t so politic attuned I would applaud him for his enthusiasm. The one that seemed disinterested was Martha and I found that more disturbing than his comments.
        Try to null out all the political crap that has been going on and if you can he sounds like a good man to have running things.

• Peppurr says:

Yup ! Agree on Martha. I find her so condescending and only watch to hear some of her guests. Also, if she teams up with her bff Brett Baier, I turn off the TV. They are obviously the darlings of the Murdoch family along with Dana Perino.

• Scrapiron says:

Yeah I watched it. He sounded good but, as a Marine veteran, I never trust a flag officer.

• katdaddy says:

My Son in Law is currently working on one of the prototypes hospital rooms, they have two different prototypes. They started late yesterday and worked through part of the night and into today, they almost have them done. Local home health equipment provider is working to instrument the rooms. We both work for a USACE R&D Lab. I dont know anything about his political affiliations but he has been good to us as a leader. We do not handle the oversight of bridges and dams and such, the districts and divisions do that part. We help with the research if needed. I have met twice.

• Orygun says:

I have worked with the Dams people on Control survey projects and they have always been more than helpful. They weren’t overly officious but instead focused just like the General in the interview.

• swal106 says:

Let us NOT forget, Semonite is a Lt. General. Meaning he was at least a Major General when Obama was President. Obama, as we know purged the military of a ton of “Good” officers and left most of the officers that went along with his leftist agenda. I would be VERY SUSPECT of this man….

• botchedcasuality says:

I disagree he doesn’t sound like a jerk more like a person on a mission. Probably one of the rare moments that he’s allowed to press on without a zillion fits and restarts of beaucratic BS red tape.

2. Chip Doctor says:

This resistance business will never end until Bondo Barr starts putting people in prison.

• California Joe says:

Exactly! Can you imagine this guy stabbing President Obama in the back publicly like that? Never happen because they feared terrible and instant retribution and they don’t fear it now!

• Kaco says:

Obama probably installed him. Obama polluted every government agency with his kind of people. He restructured the military.

I think it’s safe to say the entire U.S. government is Resistance.

So how did Obama do it? Clinton did it, too. How’s come Pres Trump can’t reshape the departments with patriots?

• The Boss says:

Because Senator Putzhead holds up all appointments to the maximum allowed.

• guidvce4 says:

So many senators who qualify the dubious title of ‘putzhead’. Both sides of the aisle.
            I presume you meant cryin’ chuckie schemer, he’s the one I can think of trying to hold up anything the POTUS wants done.

• madeline says:

That would be McConnel or Mr. McTurtle.

• warrprin1 says:

I’m fairly certain The Boss was referencing The Turtle. Schumer is a problem too, particularly with several GOP Senators in self-isolation. Then there’s Mitch, who even with only a slim GOP majority, has had, and continues to have tools at his disposal for Senate approval of POTUS Trump’s nominees.

McConnell has been holding all the cards and he’s loved every minute of it, not unlike his Dim counterpart in the House. The difference between him and her is that she’s too dumb to hide her subterfuge successfully – but he isn’t. He obfuscates, behind the success of all the judicial bench confirmations, and he doesn’t give a damn that we see his treachery in all else nonetheless.

Senate Majority Leader McConnell has played the largest, most effective role is preventing the full draining of the Swamp. Sickeningly, Kentucky will re-elect him in November.

• warrprin1 says:

IN preventing

• botchedcasuality says:

What about Lindsey and his investigation into the accusers against Kavinaugh? What about the I vestigation of EC and the rewriting of the rules so that he could become a whistleblower? Where’s the Ukraine investigation? He can’t investigate because he’s on the same gravy train….He’s extremely likable, but I know I should hate his guts!

• As they say, you go to war with the Army you’ve got.

You demand maximum performance.

You replace those who fail to deliver.

Shades of the plight of President Lincoln and how he overcame it!

• allhail2 says:

So what I heard was, this resistance business will never end.

• coastermomohio says:

When this is over, the people in this country will be convinced that our government institutions are great and they will not want to hear anything about criticizing our agencies or prosecuting “public servants” from the FBI, CIA, etc. We will be told the intelligence agencies are needed to make sure we have a heads up about any other virus about to break onto our shores, etc. Of course, the media won’t question why our intelligence agencies didn’t alert us to this threat. Isn’t bioterrorism surveillance part of their job? Well, yes it is. They’ll do better next time.

• Ditto. Thank you; this page needed this comment, badly.

• OldParatrooper says:

You can bet the farm that the National Medical Intelligence Center, formerly the Armed Forces Medical Intelligence Center, was reporting on Wuhan back in December, and continued to report on the epidemic and now pandemic. That is their primary mission. Now, whether they added recommendations for action to the reports or predicted its arrival in the US is not publicly known, as the reports were likely classified due to sources used.

• rayvandune says:

Recall the terrorist investigations that were dropped by the FBI, where the terrorists subsequently committed mass murder. This pro-Muslim brainwashing went on throughout the federal government, from DOD to DOJ to NASA. It allowed Islamic terrorism to take root in the US and displaced resources from those agencies’ proper missions. It continues to infest and cripple those agencies to this day.

The chief perpetrators of that “Fundamental Transformation” were Barack Obama and Joe Biden, and now the Democrats propose the latter as the next President, and look to the former for guidance.

We need another fundamental transformation that sweeps through our government and returns it to the control of American priorities, and we the people need to give our President the power to execute it, by sweeping out every last Democrat in the next election, top to bottom, from Dogcatcher down to Speaker of the House.

• warrprin1 says:

There are “Republicans” who need to be swept out and replaced as well. They cling to the Globalist Uniparty schematics to this day. Traitors to our U.S. Constitution, they are.

However, for the present, I will settle for the sweep away of all the Democrats in both Chambers if that’s the best we can do.

• buzzybee says:

Let’s get the brooms out. Start with wicked Speaker swept out, then down to the dogcatcher. She’s unfit for office; has BPD or bipolar or something IMO.

• stenwin77 says:

You talking about Bagpipe Bob?

• warrprin1 says:

Him too, stenwin. For all his pretty words, BB is nothing more, nor less, than a professional cleaner. S.O.S. “Save our (deep state) 💲hit.!”

3. Blue Wildflower says:

When President Trump talks about the Army Corps of Engineers I get a feeling that it is like when he talks about the leader of China. He is saying nice things but there is much more under the surface. It’s just a feeling. It maybe that I remember the New Orleans mess and their group was always attached to that.

4. WSB says:

LT gen. Semonite…we are on to you. You suck! We see you.

5. Shyster says:

It makes no sense how our military, institutions based on patriotism, honor, tradition, discipline, and chain of command, can be inhabited by or even spawn such lefty ideals and personnel. I’m bewildered.

• alliwantissometruth says:

Shyster, think “Obama”

Now, I’m not sure how this resistance social justice snowflake became head of the ACE, but Obama had eight excruciatingly long years to seed most government institutions with radicals and snowflakes

President Trump should have cleaned house on day one

• chooseamerica says:

No, he shouldn’t. He’s a master chess player and needs the masses to see how corrupt our entire government is.

• Kaco says:

Exposing is doing nothing if there are no consequences and the nation suffers.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss as opposed to the perpetual kick in the gut knowing the bad guys will never get punished and these people who are against us stay in power..

• my problem with statement like yours..chooseamerica is more than 40 % of nation do not want see/ do not care how corrupt is government…after 38 months few big fishes should be in jail or Barr should be fired….but we will see after 10 days of darkness…

• guidvce4 says:

Patience is required when looking at what Barr/Durham are doing. This current “crisis” is taking the spotlight off of those investigations, giving Barr/Durham time to dot all the ‘I’s and cross all the ‘t’s in the indictments.
            Patience.

• MAGA Minuteman says:

I agree that our VSG is a master chess player. Think about how much has been exposed both inside and outside of government in the few short years since he announced his candidacy, .

The media have been fully exposed. How long was Operation Mockingbird going on unbeknownst to most of us? How long were they driving the narrative in our society? Many of our esteemed Govt institutions are being exposed more and more as time progresses. It’s a slow exposure, but it’s a full exposure.

Here’s the craziest thing about all of it. If Obama didn’t win his second term, Mittens would have been President. As a result, the political pendulum wouldn’t have swung so far to the left causing us to come out in droves to vote for and elect President Trump. Instead of being in President Trump’s first term, we would be at the end of Mittens’ second term. Let that sink in! Our four years of patience gave us President Trump.

Virus or no virus, I think we can all agree that our nation is in a far better place than it could be in considering the alternative.

I am impatient. I like pulling weeds out by hand instead of spraying so I can get it done right away and have instant gratification. Our President does not have that luxury of instant gratification by instant pulling. He has a country to run. Rest assured, the weeds have stopped spreading and will continue to die off over time. The seeds of Patriotism are being sown. As it takes root, it will eventually crowd out the weeds.

• warrprin1 says:

Mitch stops him at every turn where the Senate has a vote on Nominees, this particular example aside due to CiC authority.

President Trump plays the hand he’s dealt.

• buzzybee says:

Actually 16 years because Clinton had 8 years to do his own seeding of corruption, with Hillary to help him. The years of HillBill did great damage. More than we realize.

• JohnCasper says:

If one puts a uniform on a pig, it’s still a pig.

• Guessed says:

Very simply, all military rank above Colonel in the Army or Captain in the Navy are literally political appointees who require nomination by the military and approval by Congress. Today’s generals and admirals are hangovers from Obama. He also got rid of a lot of flag officers who didn’t toe the Obama line.

• jumpinjarhead says:

There is a fairly large percentage of “left leaning” or anti-trumper senior officers largely due to the purge by Barack Hussein Obama of Christian officers, any who disagreed with homosexuals being encouraged to join, women being forced into ground combat units or who generally were ideologically out of synch with His Highness. As such, I presumptively distrust any 3 or 4 star now serving as they only survived the purge by being “acceptable” to His Highness.

• swissik says:

IMO the brass is corrupt. If you notice they are the bureaucrats that sit in the Pentagon and other places, nice desks, good money, great bennies. When they retire they get nice jobs with either defense corporations or research universities. I’ve worked with some. Very few are in the field with the rank and file. I am always troubled when the president raves on about the military because he doesn’t differentiate between the two.

• auntiefran413 says:

Obama decimated our military! Give credit where credit is due.

• buzzybee says:

Thanks auntiefran! I was just getting ready to post that Obama depleted our military. Indeed, very much so. POTUS has been working to rebuild it.

6. Michael Brower says:

Obama purged most of the good generals and replaced them with political hacks.

7. JohnCasper says:

The Uniform Code of Military Justice says any commissioned officer found to have used “contemptuous words” against the President may be court-martialed.

8. California Joe says:

He credits Gov Cuomo for calling him and doesn’t mention President Trump’s orders????

• Sammy says:

No .. The interviewer asked if he could have done it sooner and he say clearly states that it is state and city responsiblity and that President Trump and Defence Cheif called him to do it and what he needed to expedite it.

9. Alleycats says:

Love how miss priss casually asks “do you wish you had been told to do all this 2 or 3 weeks ago, a month ago?” As if..
    Fake news thinks we are so stupid.

10. Ladyspeaker says:

Resistance eh!! Is this why the wall is taking so long????

11. WSB says:

Sundance is so reliable. It is so clear that this man is of a resistance nature, we Treepers cannot unsee it.

Please all, pass to others.

12. Mist'ears Mom says:

Gawd…the media is killing us! We got Sean Hannity in front of the naval hospital ship going on and on about the need for this to “combat” & “house” those dying from COVID-19 when that isn’t the truth at all. The ship is for relief from hospitals patients not CV-19.
    Now the military … Lord please help us!

13. boomerbeth says:

Starting tonight through the COVID-19 battle, our signature white lights will be replaced by the heartbeat of America with a white and red siren in the mast for heroic emergency workers on the front line of the fight.
    At 9PM, NYC’s theme song will play in our lights with our @iheartradio @aliciakeys #EmpireStateofMind music-to-light show, with the song playing simultaneously on
    @z100Newyork’s @ElvisduranShow

• annieoakley says:

Fine, but it isn’t ALL about NYC anymore. Other parts of the USA count too.

• CM-TX says:

😳WTF… “Empire State of Mind” is their theme song!?! I admit to liking the song as it has a catchy beat… but did they listen to the actual lyrics??

Seriously listen to it if you haven’t.

For those that can’t tolerate it… JayZ mostly boasting about how superior & super-special he is, promoting drugs & alcohol, while mocking the little people…

Some of the loveliest lines:
      “Welcome to the melting pot, corners where we sellin’ rock”

“8 million stories, out there in the naked
      City it’s a pity, HALF of y’all WON’T make it
      Me, I got a plug Special Ed “I Got It Made”

“Lights is blinding, girls need blinders
      Or they could step out of bounds quick, the sidelines is
      Lined with casualties, who sip to life casually
      Then gradually become worse, don’t bite the apple, Eve.”

“City of Sin, is a pity on a whim. Good girls gone bad, the city’s filled with them.
      Mommy took a bus trip, now she got her bust out
      Everybody ride her, just like a bus route
      Hail Mary to the city, you’re a virgin
      And Jesus can’t save you, life starts when the CHURCH END.
      … MDMA got you feelin’ like a champion
      The city never sleeps, better slip you an Ambien”

Well at least the chorus has a positive message. 🙄

Lyrics: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jayz/empirestateofmind.html

14. Elric VIII says:

General Officers in all services should be required to review their oath, retake it, and sign an affidavit that they actually understand what it means. Any deviations thereafter should be dealt with swiftly and forcefully.

• This We Defend says:

Elric, You may be on to something there.
      During my enlisted service, at each re-enlistment I had to renew my oath. When I commissioned, we all swore a slightly different oath. Never did so again, throughout the rest of my career. With two possible exceptions: Leading my soldiers in their re-enlistment oaths; At achieving O-6…but that was in a special, private, ceremony, being pinned by my first Bn Cdr, then a LTG, Ret.
      Worked with and around flag ranks quite a bit across 3 decades. They were, and probably still are, all unabashed political animals. I often mused over their personal interpretations of that oath they each swore to, so long ago.
      TWD

• Peppurr says:

That’s a great idea!! Thanks !

15. Rj says:

Ideer or Idear or is it Idea LT Gen ?
    Little Martha (Megan Kelly) has now changed her fashion into Hillary’s plaid suits ?

16. bacillus says:

Well, ol’ Lt. Gen. Semonite rolled over her with the gung-ho, can-do spirit of the Army Corp of Engineers like a tank over a kitten. She couldn’t wait to get him off. Funny.

17. Silas says:

So to clarify as I do not use Twitter, this Gen Semonite liked that Schumer post? According to Wikipedia Maj. Gen. Scott A. Spellmon has been nominated to take Semonite’s place. Also it is mentioned that the Gen made a comment to President Trump about not disclosing Border Wall Security features at the presser in San Diego where wall construction was taking place. Obviously the guy dislikes out POTUS and is being replaced which apparently is a good thing. Gues that makes me an anti-Semonite. Don’t we have enough to deal with w/o this kind of krap? Blessings to all and be safe. God Bless America!

18. L. E. Joiner says:

Come on. He gave the President and Vice-President credit twice in that interview for getting his operation and the cooperation with the other agencies going. He sounds like a good soldier and a member of the team now, and that’s what we should be focused on. This kind of ‘can do’ spirit is exactly what the President has been talking about in his press conferences, too.

19. burginthorn says:

Resistance eh? Didn’t get the memo – God Wins. Spectacularly. Bigly even. 🙂

20. Niagara Frontier says:

It’s important to remember that in the construction area, a majority of the employees are engineers and white collar types. The corps is dominated by civilian professional, technical and administrative positions. The busiest of the bunch are the contractors. Most USACE work is contracted out to private industry to perform the actual construction. They are the ones who dig the ditches and swing the hammers. Much of the USACE are relatively well-payed white collar, civil servants.

• dayallaxeded says:

Niagara, you’re certainly right as far as that goes, but the problem is that the USACE’s structure allows rampant corruption, is almost completely unaccountable (contractors, so long as they’re following USACE plans also have governmental immunity from liability), and high levels of competence and ethics are less rewarded than “going along to get along.” The Corpse of Engineers, even after the utter devastation THEIR plans and actions visited on the NOLA area by magnifying Katrina’s storm surge and destroying buffer wetlands, not to mention completely ignoring poorly built and under-maintained levees (not all Corpse duties, to be sure, but they had the wherewithall to know and out the locals who should have been outed), still fail at minimal standards of competence, such as mixing and confusing metric and imperial measures in projects and using and confusing differing geodatums (the mathematical models of the Earth’s surface that determine sea level and land elevations). This is not even high school level stuff, yet it gets by layers of civilian and Corpse review–and they don’t even blush when called on it. More than a little infuriating when it makes the difference between losing your cars, home, and everything else attendant thereto and maybe your and everyone in the area’s lives.

Most recently they duped/connived with NOLA’s local goobermint (no slouches in the stupid, corrupt, f-up biz either) to cost share with the feds on a major storm drainage “upgrade” by extending a previous, successful storm drainage project to other adjacent neighborhoods. Local engineers, both professional and armchair warned that the extension would overwhelm and destroy all benefits of the earlier, multi-billion$ project, but the Corpse of Engineers only listens to itself and when it sets a course, it’s full speed ahead to spend every penny they can beg, borrow, and steal, especially if they can spend it with their crony contractors.

Long story short, the locals were right. The Corpse was, indeed, the Corpse of Engineers–not a live brain among them. Storm drainage is now dramatically worse across the entire area of NOLA “served” by the project extension and the original, no longer successful project might as well have never been built. When they and their cronies in goobermint and contracting whine that it’s b/c it rained so hard, they’re outright lying.

In shorter short, I hate them with the heat of a thousand suns. I would like to see them all and all their cronies deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan–after all other US assets have pulled out, including the vehicles that took them there.

The only way this LTG is of any benefit at all, is if he does nothing but follow pre-approved, proven plans and the people he’s pretending to help don’t require even that to be done very well.

21. Rynn69 says:

Totally reminds me of a cross between John Kasich and H.R. McMaster. That should say it all.

22. Proud_Patriot1776 says:

Can anyone tell me how I can find the original tweet that Sundance posted? I cannot scroll that far back on @cnn, I tried googling the entire tweet, no luck. Thanks in advance.

23. Hans says:

To all you nay sayers… I see a dedicated civil servant. He got the job done in a very short time span. He said they were not going to design each individual installation but take an approved design and run with it.. He said that the standardized modular plan would be provided to all mayors who needed help. No political bias shown…

As a professional engineer I would have done the same thing. The US needs these facilities now not 6 months from now. I don’t think he is part of the resistance; he could have made engineering decisions to slow down the process..like FDA review everything ten times…

24. j'accuse says:

So ;long as he’s loyal to Commander-in-Chief, respects his chain of command, upholds the constitution and does his job he’s fine with me, or at least I don’t believe in political test and don’t have reason to doubt his loyalty. But giving twitter likes to people like Schumer could be hazardous to anyone’s military career I suppose.

25. Cathy says:

What bothers me about this man are his hand gestures and his intensity. Both seem contrived and theatrical. Why does he need the emphasis? Isn’t what he’s saying convincing enough? He’s trying too hard …. to convince whom, or to promote himself?

26. Mike in a Truck says:

All General Officers are politicians. They have to be. Goin hat in hand to Congress for funding. Smoozing and consorting with them.They are first class B.S. artists. The best ones also know how to fight- but rare.

27. listingstarboard says:

If the USACE had to compete in the private sector they would have been bankrupted a long time ago.In March 2007, the City of New Orleans filed a $77 billion claim against the USACE for damages sustained from faulty levee construction and resultant flooding during Hurricane Katrina.[28] Hundreds of thousands of individual claims were also received in the New Orleans branch office of the USACE. In addition to the City of New Orleans, other claimants include Entergy New Orleans, the city’s now-bankrupt electric utility, and New Orleans Sewerage and Water Board.[29]

28. dayallaxeded says:

We in NOLA probably have more and longer term dealings with the USACE than anyone or anywhere in the nation. The concept of the USACE is wonderful and individuals within are impressive. But there’s something about the organization and there interface with local government and e construction companies that turns the milk sour. They are consistently haughty, imperious, detached, and do half-assed (and sometimes corruption-riddled) work with no concern or consequences (they’re immune from liability, no matter how horribly they screw up). In short, they’re a gummint agency so if they tell you they’re here to help, you can be sure it ain’t you they’re helping and you’d better keep a sharp eye on em or they’ll really help you by stealing your property, your taxes, and maybe even your life. We call them The Corpse of Engineers.

29. fred5678 says:

I trust We Build the Wall more than the General. CoE is embarrassed by the efficiency and effectiveness of Fischer Sand and Gravel.

t am not sure CoE is very strong on Secure Borders. WBTW has videos of $$$$$$ walls miles from the border, while Fischer builds effective and $ walls ON the border.

30. starfcker says:

But he didn’t say that. He thanked everyone under the sun at 2:00, but failed to mention President Trump, VP Trump, or the White House task force. Nice try at a Trump gotcha question by Martha at 2:40.

31. babethebeagle says:

He pronounced “idea” as “idear,” so I decided to look up where he’s from. Vermont … that says it all!

• …Straight out of Obama.

The elections of Obama have consequences.

• Okay, I’ve just watched the video, and seen Sundance’s placing of “LTG” Semonite’s politically-biased advertisement of Schumer’s venomous snark right after, and I get it: Semonite’s tweet belies his video image of merely a gung-ho, milspec “performer”, and outs him definitively as a snake in the grass — President Trump’s (and our) grass, to be clear. (I’ve personally seen what a snake in the (trusted) grass can do, so calling him that is quite appropriate, as a warning). Thank you, Sundance, very good.

It wouldn’t hurt if people kept reminding themselves that all of this politically-correct “war on covid19” is overwrought at best, and really misplaced, even if only unintentionally, out of ignorance and incompetent reasoning. It plays into the “millions of Americans may die if we don’t do this” FRAUDULENT HYSTERIA. I KNOW the bug is not anywhere near bad enough to warrant this war, at the expense of another “greatest bailout ever” attack upon our nation’s employment and economy (employment first!)

32. Barkingupawrongtree says:

So let me preface my comments with I consider myself a treeper and have long enjoyed this site and Sundance’s analysis. I also am very skeptical of many folks political leanings within the government and have seen direct personal examples of that in the past. I am also not one to comment on websites, I long ago realized that was a pointless endeavor. But I feel compelled to comment here though as I have direct personal experience in the matter. I am a retired Army Engineer and I currently work for USACE. I have known LTG Semonite since the mid nineties long before he was LTG Semonite, granted this was always in a professional relationship I am not personal friends with him. I have also known many of the two star generals who were in competition with him for the Chief of Engineers position, and LTG Semonite was the most apolitical of the bunch At least one of said generals had a failed run for democratic congressman after retirement. I have never heard LTG Semonite make political off hand remarks ever one time. He appears to take seriously the ideal of the military to never display political leanings in public. LTG Semonite is a well respected leader within the Engineers. He is well liked, charismatic, takes care of people, and is very effective at getting things done. I will say that he is known for his quirky personality as well. I do not know what his political leanings are but I don’t think they cloud his professionalism. I also believe there is a very good chance his Public Affairs personnel have access to his twitter accounts. In looking at his social media the like on the CNN video is literally the only none public affairs type usace post I could find. I would like to chalk this up to an accident or a PAO person run amok on his account. I do understand people’s criticisms of USACE as well, as a biased observer I like to think we are at least at the head of the class of inept government bureaucracies.

• From your comment, it follows that Semonite is, despite his obvious commitment to every detail of his mission, merely incompetent, to have such a glaring accident — one “branding” of his character, as a matter of fact — or traitorous underling (“PAO person”). I see many ways to respond to that, but I’ll just let my first sentence soak in on its own…

33. railer says:

Don’t know this guy, but I will give my brother engineer the benefit of the doubt in following a path to which the data is taking him, and doing the best he can to execute a mission he was assigned.

As an institution, the Corps is outdated and can easily be replaced domestically by a stable of consulting and design/build contractors, who could perform the bulk of their work better than the Corps is doing it.

Not that it should disappear in its entirety, but a governmental agency strongly and directly involved in the nation’s infrastructure management is no longer a necessity. Even their emergency work can be distributed to a prequalified stable of consultants and contractors, who have every day involvement in the type of work required, and not just running around in an eternal bureaucracy as the Corps currently exists as. And a qualified executive can coerce those resources to do what’s required, same as Trump is doing now, likely with better results than can be obtained from the Corps.

• You don’t get it, and I’m sure Sundance must be dismayed, a little, to read a comment like yours, that totally ignores what he is CLEARLY SHOWING everyone: Semonite’s tweet is not that of a “brother engineer”, but an ACTIVIST, an active ally of the anti-Trump Schumer, showcasing the latter in fact. It is the CONTRAST between the video and the tweet that Sundance (rather obviously) wants everyone to see.

• railer says:

You seem to be acting surprised that the Swamp is full of Swamp creatures. You shouldn’t be. Trump’s cabinet is selected by McConnell, and he’s the biggest enemy Trump has had and will continue to have. Most of the people in the WH are basically enemies. This is all nothing new. The only thing that matters then, since the going in assumption is that they are enemies until proven otherwise, is whether Trump gets what he needs out of somebody, and as of now, this guy appears to be doing what’s required.

Suggest you not attempt to speak for the site’s host. Your comments can stand alone, lad.

34. americancyclop says:

Why not move into the several hospitals that NYC has closed because of a lack of funds? Some not that long ago. Many will have much equipment, rooms, water, electricity, restrooms, kitchens, and secure access. Why not spend the manpower on them? Just wondering!

35. TradeBait says:

Trust PDT. He knows beforehand or quickly thereafter when a DS critter is loose in his world.

36. dawg says:

Why is our Army building hospitals and our auto industry making ventilators?

This virus is just NOT causing a mass influx of patients. How many of the people hospitalized with CV where already hospitalized? Can someone point me to ANY evidence of our hospitals being full?

We have no need for more ventilators. The city with the highest number of cases, NYC, has thousands that are not being used.

We are supposedly two weeks away from the peak of this thing, and we have “2900” deaths, many of those being people WITH coronavirus, not DUE to coronavirus.

NYC case numbers already falling for days in a row. Why are they acting like its just starting?

General says “our thoughts go out to all those affected by the virus”.

Well I dont know a SINGLE person affected by this VIRUS.

But EVERYONE I know has been affected by the fear-mongering media and our tyrant leaders.

Can anyone convince me this is not a manufactured crisis? Please. It would be a lot easier to handle this lockdown if I thought it was all for a legitimate reason.

37. Mary Parsons says:

First interview was last weekend with Rachel Maddow

38. Mike says:

Sundance,

It is very funny that Lt. Gen Todd Semonite’s name should come up in one of your articles. A co-worker and USMA graduate who is my friend brought him up yesterday as the “Real Deal” get something done general. It was an interesting conversation out of the blue. Most people do not realize that about 1/2 the officer corps are lefties. Once above the rank Major in the US Military all functions are political in their nature. Generals are political animals and feed at the congressional trough.

I have pause for concern when we have US Military folks perform civilian roles/tasks. There is no reason why civilian supply chain planners could not do what he is doing.

39. SharonKinDC says:

This was written as a response to GB Bari re staffing needs (which McCallum dangled out there- I do not like that woman!) to which he refused to rise to the bait… before he took the bait and replied to the question in the affirmative re need for medical personnel. Thought the info below was worth its own reply to the thread rather than GB’s post: The staffing is a key issue. In all fairness to Fredo’s brothers team, one reason used to justify NOT buying the needed ventilators back in 2015, was they wouldn’t have sufficient qualified/experienced personnel to use the equipment. Although, that to me, is a piss poor justification to build a defunct solar panel factory. Had they been purchased they could have put out their own ‘volunteer’ request of retired private sector medical professionals as well as go to Fed Gov for a disaster declaration and activate National Guard and assistance the Fed Gov could provide in obtaining the necessary qualified personnel. As regards the current pandemic response on a Federal level, the Army sent out 800k letters to retired (and perhaps separated prior to 20 years?) military early last week. They also have posted a list of specialities most desired. As one would expect, it’s heavy on those who deal with ventilated patients: anesthesiologists, ICU nurses, etc. Within days they’d received 8-9K positive responses. Yesterday, that positive response was significantly higher, but I cannot recall the exact number. I want to say somewhere around 18K. The story I read noted the next step is ensuring the certifications of these former military healthcare specialists is up to date. Seems to be a logical plan which they are working w/ speed and efficiency. I should also note the Uniform Medical College (can’t recall the exact name) is permitting early graduation and thus, will have a fresh crop of specialists ready to assist with the effort. Sundance is kinda like Trump in that he’s pretty much always right and well ahead of the rest of us re instincts (which are usually based on solid, if often very granular, information missed by most) That said, Gen. Semonite appears to be smart enough not to piss on POTUS and his team, even if he heaps praise on Fredo’s brother. I’d also say, Fredo’s brother is smart enough to grab any and all FREE to NY materiel and labor with both hands, very quickly, and hang on tight. So it’s no surprise that when told he needed to get a list of prospective facilities for conversion, he moved rapidly. It begs the question though, for other States/Cities… if any of those people drag their feet/are indecisive as to facilities for repurposing, they are really, really STUPID! Then again, as many are Democrats, that’s to be expected.

40. 335blues says:

A Lt. General that believes America should have totalitarian government.
    What do you suppose he was promised by the marxist democrat party?

41. dom elp says:

Every is allowed to have an opinion, but this guy will do what is right in his opinion and he will do itthe best he can. He deseves to be heard and allowed to. work for everyone. I trust this man to do what is right no matter who is in political power.

42. SharonKinDC says:

This is in reply to dawg re their post that there isn’t much of a real health problem/no need for additional ventilators: RE ventilator production- as a nation, our stockpile appears to have been light. Do YOU trust the Chinese not to have something even worse floating around at some point? I don’t. Better be safe and well stocked. Also, POTUS mentioned specifically in his presser yesterday if we end up w/ surplus, they can be sent elsewhere around the globe with unmet needs. RE CCP Virus not much of a problem currently: Anecdotal, but if true, might explain things- Dennis Michael Lynch, who used to have a show on Newsmax, lives on Long Island. Has a very close, apolitical doctor friend- so close, to be like family. Last week, on Wednesday, they spoke and there was no pressure on supplies, space, or personnel re the CCP Virus. Yesterday, he/she texted DML and said things have rapidly changed. What is exacerbating the problem is not due to Trump or his team, but the Governor. Private hospitals are first on the list for key items like ventilators and PPE. He/she (who was part of the Ebola team, so surely is quite experienced in infectious diseases) apparently works in a public hospital. Elmhurst, in Queens was specifically discussed. It is in an area with a ton of immigrants, legal and illegal. Thus, public hospitals with loads of non-paying patients already had a strain on their system. DML asked if people were dying that shouldn’t have and the response was in the affirmative. The stats NY is providing to the CDC apparently are not broken out geographically, other than at the county level. This is unhelpful, b/c the hotspots need to be identified as it would aid in directing the flow of materiel. Not mentioned on DML’s facebook video but perhaps germane to the issue, which is politically incorrect: NYC and the boroughs have a Chinese population upwards of 8%. I’ve read some reporting of something re the ACE2 receptor in the lungs of East Asian vs other populations which makes it easier for the virus to get really nasty, fast. The bit I read about this was first described by Chinese authors, iirc. ‘Woke’ types hate these sort of discussions, but to me, if there are patterns regarding severity/outcomes with particular populations, that information would be vital in terms of geolocation of high specific population densities and need for supplies, as well as precautions for populations, besides the known ‘elderly and immunocompromised’ warnings, which will accompany the process of getting back to normal as the ‘stay inside’ warnings are eventually lifted.

43. He didn’t just “like” a Schumer tweet about the Statue of Liberty or farm subsidies. He like a tweet calling the President a liar and for removing his own Commander-in-Chief.

No wonder the Corps has been slow-walking the Wall.

44. Roadagent says:

Flag officers (i.e., generals and admirals) fall into two categories: warriors, most of whom were purged during the Obama regime, and ticket punchers who are politicians whose primary motivation is to get as many stars as possible through whatever means necessary. That way lucrative careers await after they retire in the defense industry and elsewhere. Maybe Sundance is right and this general falls into the ticket puncher category, but I could not see it in this interview.

45. USARose says:

As mentioned already – he was interviewed by Rachel Maddow over the weekend and the President tweeted about it. Rachel Maddow is not inclined to have pro Trump pro Military on her show.

46. Life Coach says:

Obama gutted much of the leadership of the military and replaced them with politically allied cronies. The same thing he did with the FBI, CIA, NSA, IRS, HHS, FDA, et al.

Anyone see the letter blasting Trump from the Navy Admiral today, claiming Trump is muzzling the military from telling the truth about his mishandling of the Corona virus?

Anyone want to bet he has a history of #resistance on social media too?

• buzzybee says:

Yes. Otrauma depleted our military and seeded it and other agencies with as much corruption as he could. So did HillBill.