This Too Shall Pass…

Thankfully as a nation this crisis is causing us to reevaluate our priorities: faith, family, community and freedom; and seeing the easy dispatch of liberty also reignites that oft forgotten flickering flame…

Journalists are less important than janitors. Our nation’s best athletes are healthcare workers rushing to assist those in need.  The true heroes are not celebrities, but rather farmers, truck drivers, stock clerks, and supermarket cashiers.

The most valuable businesses do not glitter or present themselves with self-congratulatory award shows; they do today what they have always done to keep our food supply flowing.  Perhaps now, at least for a few short weeks, we stop taking them for granted.

Effective right now comfortably invisible workers are recognized as critical priorities; or as the government has officially designated them “essential services.”  These folks form the network of our lives; they always have, but we didn’t notice. Everything else is less than.

Any average hard-working American is worth more today than all those who chase the golden statues of Hollywood; and ultimately if they want to go down the superiority path… well, what they provide is essentially useless.

• Florida Power and Light won the prestigious International Edward Demming award for excellence in multi-platform engineering and efficiency superiority. They didn’t blow every PhD intellectual out of the water with slide rules, CAD programs and engineering acumen. They did it with hard hats and dirty fingernails.

Because they lost the award, the Japanese spent 6 months studying FPL and later published a 1,000 page dissertation essentially saying FPL “wasn’t really good, they were just lucky”….. FPL field leadership laughed, took out markers and wrote on the back of their hard hats: WE’RE NOT GOOD, WE’RE RUCKY….

• When every single Kuwaiti oil field was blown up by Saddam Hussein, they said it would take over five years to cap them all off and restart their oil pumping industry. The Kuwaitis and Saudis called Texans, who had them all capped and back in working order in ten months.

We are a nation that knows how to get shit done.

• When the Northern Chile mine workers were trapped two miles underground, they said no-one could save them. Who did they call for help? A bunch of hick miners from USA coal country who went down there, worked on the fly, engineered the rescue equipment on site, and saved every one of them….

That’s our America.

Don’t lose sight of it.

• When a half-breed Islamic whack job, armed with an AK-47 and a goal to meet his virgins, begins opening fire on a train in France, the Americans on board didn’t run to the nearest safe room and hide themselves amid baguettes and brie. They said “let’s go”, and beat the stuffing out of that little nut with a death wish.

Legion d’Honneur or not, that’s us.  That’s you.

That’s just how we roll.

Lady Liberty can stroll along the Champs-Elysées with a swagger befitting Mae West because without her arrival they’d be speaking German in the Louvre.  Yet for the better part of the past decades groups of intellectual something-or-others have been selling an insufferable narrative that it’s better to be sitting around a campfire eating sustainable algae cakes and picking parasites off each other.  Enough!

• Ordinary people, just like you and me, gave their lives and crashed flight #93, a commercial airliner, into a field in Shanksville Pennsylvania so they could save our nations capitol.  Yeah, I think we can wash our hands, quit touching our faces and stay inside for a few days.

In case you missed it, it wasn’t FEMA driving jacked-up monster trucks into the flooded neighborhoods around Houston Texas to rescue people from their homes; it was a bunch of glorious rednecks assembled like the second division of the Cajun Navy… which also just happens to be a fabulous bunch of shallow water boat operators who convoy their gear voluntarily into the aftermath of hurricanes and floods.

That’s America folks; in all her magnificent colorblind glory.

Git-r’-done ain’t government.

Quoting from Bart Hall:

Truckers are saying “fuck the log rules, I’m hauling” and they’re getting supplies to the stores. People are stocking the shelves all night and letting old people shop first. Folks are buying meals for truckers, who (obviously) can’t go through the drive-ups. Asking ’em what they want, then buying it for them.

Carnival Cruise Line has told Trump “We can match those big Navy Hospital ships with some fully staffed cruise ships”.

GM and Ford have said “hold our cars and watch this — we can make ventilators where we were just making car parts, starting next week” — by re-engineering seat ventilators which their engineers hacked together for a new purpose. In under a week.

In a project with which I’m loosely associated, a very-effective agricultural disease-control agent was re-purposed and re-labeled specifically for Corona-virus control by the FDA and EPA in under ten days, from initial request to distribution.

Restaurants and schools have said, “we’ve got kitchens and staff; we can feed the poor kids who used have school lunch.”

NBA basketball players have said, “Hold our basketballs while we write checks to pay the arena staff.”

Construction companies are saying, “Here are some high-end masks for medical staff and doctors”.

Distilleries are making sanitizer out of distilling “heads and tails” which are normally discarded. Nasty shit to drink, but effective sanitizer.

People are tipping grocery check-out clerks and thanking them for taking the risk.

Local, state, and county governments are taking control of everything the feds cannot do. Some are doing it wrong, but for the first time in decades … they’re doing it. Federalism is re-emerging, and the smallest unit of government is the individual and the family. This, too, is re-emerging after decades of dormancy.

As Japanese Admiral Isokuru Yamamoto said, after Pearl Harbor … “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

I sense this has just happened. We have a wonderful country, the greatest single force for good in all human history. We have closed our borders, with good reason, yet we have top medical people now assisting North Korea in their response to the virus.

Many things have been re-set, and will never be the same.

By microbiological accident, we are living in profoundly transformative historical times.

So I ask you a question, what part are you to play?

If you feel comfortable sitting in your socially distant box and bitching about all things that are not right, or might be not be right….  Or, if you prefer to allow yourself to be overcome with dark imaginings simply because what cannot be done is more comfortable than the effort to oversee what needs to be done….  well, that’s okay.

You can do that.

And when you’re done doing that you’ll still be in the same place.

Or, you can check on older neighbors to make sure they are OK and make sure they have necessities. If older neighbors need something at the store, get it for them. Friends and neighbors who are anxious, send them a card or note with positive comments on it. Give people hope. If you don’t want to send a card, send an e-mail checking up on people.

Order an extra lunch or dinner from a local restaurant just so you can give an tip to the delivery person who shows up at your door. Then stick the extra in the fridge and eat it tomorrow.  We can do this.

No-one is saying this doesn’t suck; but some people know that standing around bitching about the comparative values of current life in suckdom doesn’t actually accomplish anything.

President Trump is doing what needs to be done; with far more information than me; and in the best manner he can assemble to keep America great.  He does this while simultaneously swatting away thousands of piranhas biting at him on an hourly basis.

So again, ask yourself a question: what part are you to play?

Live your best life.

You only have this moment once.

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Coronavirus, Infectious Disease, media bias, President Trump, Treehouse Campfire, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

529 Responses to This Too Shall Pass…

1. LDave says:

Our nation will emerge better and stronger than before. New generations of Americans will see the value of keeping food and supplies on-hand, and in SAVING money instead of borrowing it.

2. Linus in W.PA. says:

While I remain positive about our economy rebounding strong, many people are being deeply affected by this ‘hype.’

One of my machinists was crying at his machine this morning. He’s close to 70 years old, and his wife is giving him Hell about working. If he doesn’t want to work, he doesn’t have to, but he wants to work, and this is causing him strife at home.

Frankly, much of it depends on where you get your ‘news.’

• Linus
      Wifes are always giving us hell about something ,its what the do.
      Ive always said they could help Alzheimer’s in women by showing them a picture of 20 men sitting down
      When a woman sees a man sit down ,she immediately remembers at least 15 things that need done.

• Ausonius says:

Can you give him a raise? Maybe that would help to soften his wife (?).

I am also on overtime for retirement (by 6 years), but do not want to because I feel no need to do so!

However, Mrs. Ausonius says I have one year left in my classroom. Curiously, a possible replacement for me has appeared a few weeks ago, the mother of a Fifth Grader transferring to my school. A sign from above? 😉

• Linus in W.PA. says:

He’s 77 years old, so he’s just working for something to do.

Since my original post, he came up to the front office and said he was just going to retire.

We told him to keep his keys, and stay in touch until things blow over. Then he can decide what he wants to do.

• butch cassidy says:

Maybe he’s working so he doesn’t have to be at home with her.

3. Dehbashi says:

This is a great article to put things into perspective. While things look terrible and it pains me to see people hurt though physical pain and especially emotional pain with people losing their jobs all over the place while I am fortunate to have my job, there has been a silver lining with this. Thanks to the virus, I have learned truly who are good people and who are truly evil. The people who will help and will give hope to others and the people who will screw over people and who hope people get hurt or worse and use this situation for themselves.

This paragraph here “If you feel comfortable sitting in your socially distant box and bitching about all things that are not right, or might be not be right…. Or, if you prefer to allow yourself to be overcome with dark imaginings simply because what cannot be done is more comfortable than the effort to oversee what needs to be done…. well, that’s okay.”

You can do that.

And when you’re done doing that you’ll still be in the same place” hits the point perfectly.

You can whine and worse or take action to help. That will shape who you truly are.

4. donnyvee says:

Through a lucky family connection, I have met maybe 150 to 200 pro baseball players over several decades. I’ve liked at most, maybe half a dozen. I rather hang out with truckers and the other true superstars of our economy than almost any celebrity. (Sandra Bullock, call me!)

5. prettiestone says:

Thank you, that’s just what I needed.

6. Publius2016 says:

USA is one of the only Major Powers to fight a two front war and win…

One key of course was Germany having to fight on two fronts as well

• SHV says:

“One key of course was Germany having to fight on two fronts as well”
      *****
      IIRC, 311 German divisions invaded the USSR and one returned intact. The Russian inflicted 80% of the German casualties and also sustained 80% of Allied casualties.

• swampfox999 says:

They also started WWII with the Molotov Ribbentrop Pact that led to their invasion of Poland from the east as Germans invaded from the west.

• 4EDouglas says:

Yep and had we not provided the P-39’s P-40’s and B-25’s to Russia things might have been a bit different-it gave “uncle Joe” a bit of time to get his production East of the Caucasus .

7. Co says:

Live web cam of NT harbor and Comfort pulling in…gives me goose bumps

8. Dances with Wolverines says:

“We will WIN WIN WIN and we will come back stronger and better than ever before” God Bless America

• Patience says:

Perfect !

• Patience says:

PERFECT !!!!!

God Bless America
      Irving Berlin
      God bless America
      Land that I love
      Stand beside her
      And guide her
      Through the night with the light from above
      From the mountains
      White with foam
      God bless America
      My home sweet home
      God bless America
      My home sweet home

• Alan Womack says:

I love my country and her citizens. I served in the military , one year in Vietnam. I would go again for America and her citizens. President Trump is the best ever. Out of 45 he is number ONE. God bless you all and God bless America… Alan Womack

• Mad Mike says:

Beautiful is right! That was special… thanks for sharing. I love the sound of a full band/orchestra… all those instruments playing in harmony. Most impressive!

• flgrammie says:

I love patriotic musics and our flag! Raised on an Army base..married to a infantry officer. Mother Aunt and Grandmother to those serving in the Navy Marines and the Air Force most recently! My Grandson is trying to join the SPACE FORCE! God Bless America my home sweet home!

• flgrammie says:

Replying to myself here! My grandson says he wants to fight to keep America free for his new niece who will be 6 montsh April 14

• listingstarboard says:

Something in my eye, dang. Beautiful.

9. Ausonius says:

Yes, I have written Mr. Sundance about such errors before (we want to keep The Conservative Treehouse “citation-correct” and free from attacks by Leftists claiming FAKE NEWS.

The other such false attribution which drives me crazy, and which Mr. Sundance has used more than once, (despite my revelations to him in e-mail 🙂 ) is one supposedly by the heroic Roman Senator Marcus Tullius Cicero about good government and how “a nation can survive its fools…” but not traitors from within. The quote and other spurious ones usually come from A Pillar of Iron, a novel from c. 60 years ago by Taylor Caldwell, which quotes were used in a speech 55 years ago here in Columbus, Ohio by a Judge from Florida:

Anyway, yes, a minor thing, but one would like to have such errors eliminated by careful source-checking.

• Ausonius says:

I should mention that the novel mentioned above, A Pillar of Iron, deals just as much with Communism/Leftism in America after WW II in an analogous fashion as it does with the decay of the Roman Republic into imperial dictatorship during the lifetime of Cicero.

As such it is still relevant and thought-provoking for our current era!

• Donzo says:

I was moved by this post. Deeply. But I also did not provide it to my son to read because he is a “ half-breed”, half Japanese, half white. I want him to read CTH, but this post is not the place to begin, unfortunately.

• TonyE says:

Aaah, “happas” are beautiful children.

We have two, smart, hard working, educated in things that matter. In their mid/late 20s now. We were talking about them last night, wife and I. Those two kids (boy and girl) represent the best thing we’ve done with our lives. Indeed, come to think about it, their generation, cousins, across the board, is made up mostly of “happas”, most of them. I recall watching them last Christmas and the last family picnic and it became obvious.

Good genes, good characters, all around. Cops, sailor, scientists, business people, moms, even a couple of lawyers – oh well… can’t win them all, but she has a good heart.. 😉

Back to the post.

Back in High School and college, until I became a “big shot” with computers, I scrubbed toilets and was a night short order cook. To this day, I respect janitors and cooks, without them we’d be hosed. A clean house and a good meal are fundamental to a civilized society.

Journalism? Well, I suppose that if its honest, OK, but if it’s propaganda, then we might as well flush it down the garbage disposal.

Yes, this shall pass. I have no doubt. What truly amazes me is that the US is taking the bull by horns and doing something about it ( Kudos to Trump, btw ). Instead of lamenting our misfortune, as Obola The Magnificent would have done, we are DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Dang it, eons ago, we sure made the right decision to come to the US. You know, legal immigrants tend to be the best of their nations. They are the risk takers, sometimes it fails, sometimes it doesn’t. It wasn’t easy, but today I see it was the best thing we did.

Besides raising our kids, cleaning those toilets and making some of the best pancakes with bacon and two eggs over easy that the world has ever seen!

We’ll do fine.

Chairman Xi should heed Adm. Yamamoto. He went to school in the USA and he well knew that extending the Japanese “Pacific War” to the US was not going to go well for Japan. At the time, Japan was one of the World Powers, with a far, far more robust industrial base than China today.

When this is over, the Fascist Gov. of China will have to pay financial reparations and face the consequences for its criminal acts. And yes, its agents in the USA ( CoC, Globalists, Progressives, Fake News ) will also be made to pay.

10. Sandhill says:

Wonderful article Sundance. Thank you for bringing this reality back to our minds.
    I think I need to pray for those who really are the domestic enemies of our nation. The ruling elite and their cheerleading fake news media. Their priorities really are messed up.

11. ms Idaho says:

Thank you Sundance for your wonderful post. It inspired many to share their ‘donations’ to solving the current crisis. I also see the usual nay-sayers who want to rain on all parades. I posted this under the Presidential Politics, but I think it may be appropriate here, too. PS thanks to all those posters and those who are also out doing but are too busy and tired to post the great American response.

Dear Treepers
    Rant to follow
    Remember the statement about statistics? There are statistics, damn statistics and lies!
    I have no problem with the numbers folk keep putting up – but i have a big problem with the convulsive contusions.

I have NO PROBLEM with the President’s decision to extend the CDC recommendations and guidelines. In the first place, today is day 15 of the program to slow the spread. Did no one consider the consequences if that program did not do as intended?

And I take great exception to posters saying that POTUS should NOT listen to Dr Fauci and/or Dr Birx. Hey, how many of you are talking to the heads of 151 governments about the scope of the problem worldwide? How many of you are talking to 50 governors and heads of US territories at least once a day? Are you consulting with our FEMA general about conditions on the ground? How many of you are consulting with our Cabinet who are providing the whole of govenment input re: our response?

And as icing on the cake, remember that all the input is presented to our VSGPDJT’s BRAIN.
    Bottom line, POTUS is not getting advice from only 2 people who are apparently seen as the face of bad advice upon which decisions are made.

I read comments for hours after the presser yesterday and more this morning. I have never in my adult life heard (read) such weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Buckle up snowflakes. I am sorry your lives are being disrupted. This is not the first time America has faced a world-wide or national crisis. I firmly believe in American ingenuity and inventiveness to get us out of this mess better than we were before.

It WILL END! and WE WILL GET THRU IT! TOGETHER !!!!!
    And i believe our Great Lion when he assures us that when this is behind us – however long it takes – we will come roaring back and be greater than ever ( I am sure that is what bothers the Left) POTUS has said many times during the last few months that we can recoup financial losses. We cannot bring back lives lost.

Another old adage springs to mind (paraphrase?). Never before have so few done so much for so many, working with so little. To me, in a nutshell, that is the work of our VSG P DJT

In conclusion, Thanks again Sundance for providing this forum. And thanks to all the Treepers who see beyond their ‘needs’ and saddle up to help when, where and how they can.

12. plumnelly1 says:

13. 7delta says:

I think you’ may be thinking about the “gun behind every blade of grass” quote. The validity of the  “sleeping giant” quote Sundance used isn’t questioned on Pearl Harbor’s visitor’s site. However, I did find a Pearl Harbor history site that questions whether it was attributable to Yamamoto. The VA site states the quote was reportedly written in Yamamoto’s diary. I didn’t click on any Wikipedia returns in my search, since it’s not a reliable source or on any obvious site that might have the potential of an ideological slant…either to the right or left.

The quote, in a truncated version, was in the 2001 film, “Pearl Harbor”, as well as the full quote in “Tora, Tora, Tora.” In neither case was the quote the product of a screenwriter’s imagination. It was a well known “quote”, accurately attributed or not, prior to “Tora, Tora, Tora.”  It’s also interesting to note that there are other documented quotes by the Japanese general that express the same sentiment. Japan could not take on the U.S., especially not in a war longer than 6 months, and win.

Even if there is some question about whether the quote is attributable to Yamamoto, the sentiment is a valid one that Yamamoto understood well and proved to be accurate.

14. Mike in a Truck says:

Has anyone seen Joe “Touch N Sniff”? I’m missing my daily dose of stupid from him. Oh well, Nancy is pulling up the slack.

15. gingergal says:

My husband wears his Trump hat and tells people this is what Democratic socialism looks like and to remember this in November.

• dd_sc says:

Good for him.

I have friends in Europe and New Zealand complaining about cuts in government funding for national health. I remind them that this is what happens when you rely on bureaucrats.

16. Judiciary says:

Thank you, Sundance, for yanking some of us back to the proper perspective. I’m all choked up at the moment. God is merciful and has given us a great blessing to live in a place like America with so many every day heros!

17. kittylenoir says:

Thank you for the inspiration Sundance. God please bless this nation and repel this virus from this country.

18. thedoc00 says:

Great article SD, would like to add that much you pointed out does not require a “4-Year DEGREE” from any university to accomplish. The greater part of our day to day lives revolve around the folks who apprenticed, earned certificates and learned on the on-the-job. All founded on faith, common sense and a common decency.

• flgrammie says:

The blood sweat and tears of American Patriots is what America was built on and what will continue to sustain her! We are Americans and will get through this together as always!

19. I was standing in a store and noticed how they have duct tape x ‘s on the floor for 6 foot distances and I marveled at one of the immutable laws of nature .
    Duct tape DOES fix everything

20. Mad Mike says:

What more can I add? Thanks for a thoughtful and moving post sundance… it was right on time and packs much wisdom.

This place is the bee’s knees. 🙂

21. NC Mom says:

RUSH IS BACK! Lord bless him. Boy have I missed him.

22. txconservativemomof2 says:

Such an eloquently written reminder to look beyond ourselves in these times – thank you for that. This really made me stop and reflect. I’ve been so stressed out about “what if” scenarios because I have autoimmune disorders that I’ve been having anxiety; but it’s been mostly about me, my immediate family, etc. Thank you for reminding us who we are and what we need to do for each other. Excellent reflection, as always.

23. mugzey302 says:

It is truly pathetic to read a heart-warming essay to lift my spirits, and then make the mistake of reading tiresome comments of those who feel the need to “correct” it. It seems we have our own pack of jackals here. 😕 Just shut up.

• Norma Jean says:

Some people just have to lift a leg on things… pity. Awesome job Sundance.

• Gunnar says:

I disagree. To be conservative is to value the facts, to value education, and the preservation of our language and culture. They didn’t seek to nullify his positive message, merely to improve its factual quality….because conservatives value these things. It’s not an attempt to denigrate the author, it’s an attempt to bring us all up to the very best standards, conservative standards of truth, education and clear thinking because WE, that is all of us, deserve to be the very best we can be.

24. mugzey302 says:

Sundance ~ love that photo! Our President sending in reinforcements for the fight! 👏

25. moerawn says:

Thank you for this, I’m still livid that this has been so overblown, but a little perspective was indeed in order. We’ve been doing a lot of the things mentioned– wife is putting TP into our nearby Little Free Library, for example. Heading out to get some takeout, maybe help out a small restaurant owner.

26. Deplorable_Vespucciland says:

CBS reporter in San Francisco last month went gaga over queen Pelosi visiting shops in Chinatown and misguiding everyone, encouraging them to “Come join us!” Now seen as maybe not such a good idea since the governor has had to put the entire state on a lockdown.

27. LadyChurchill says:

But there seems to be some dispute that he actually wrote it either in a letter to another Admiral or wrote it in his diary.

28. rah says:

I’m going to take this opportunity to tell you all a little story. Most of you have no idea the sacrifices made in your name because they aren’t often reported in times of relative “peace”.

This is the story about Master
    Sergeant Tommy (Won’t give his last name without his permission and I know what the answer would be if I found him and asked for it.)

I served under Tommy at SOMED, the now defunct Special Operations Medical course that was the longest portion of the SF medic course at Ft. Sam Houston before they moved all of the course to Ft. Bragg. Tommy was NCOIC (the Noncommissioned Officer in Charge) at the course. Tommy was an excellent NCOIC and the most knowledgeable SF medic of the six of us that were instructors at the course. The reason Tommy, happened to be there was to recover from wounds that would have killed most people.

Tommy was the Sr. medic on a team from the 7th SFG(A) serving in Honduras. They got a call that a Honduran soldier at a remote outpost had been shot. Tommy loaded on a UH-1 Huey helicopter for transport to treat the soldier. The chopper was taking a full load as others jumped on board. The doors open, Tommy was riding in what is called “The hell hole” at one side at the back by the transmission housing.

The chopper flew into the side of a mountain in bad weather. By the time rescuers got to the crash site it was dark. The chopper had hit the side of the mountain so hard the remains of the pilots were found still strapped in their seats in front of the remains of the airframe. There appeared to be no survivors. Then a rescuer stepped on something and it was Tommy and he moaned.

Virtually every bone on one side of his body was fractured. Bilateral pneumothorax. Pelvic girdle fractured through in three places. In essence Tommy’s body had been crushed to an extent beyond where there was any expectation of survival let alone a recovery back to a normal life.

Tommy arrested three times during the ambulance ride to the airport where a Nightingale flight awaited. He was flown to the Brooke Army Medical Center at Ft. Sam Houston.

When I came onboard at SOMED months after that Tommy was walking with a cane. I was at SOMED for 22 months. Four months before I left we put on a water jump from a Huey into one of the lakes so Tommy could jump and get back his jump pay. The month before I left Tommy had finally been released from all his physical profiles and could return to full service. Two weeks before I left I took my final APRT (Army Physical Readiness Test) before I ETSed (End Time in Service) on active duty. Tommy outran me on the two mile run.

29. butch cassidy says:

You know the global warming idiots figured out that when they make bold predictions now they make sure that those predictions are at least 50 years out so they are not around to look like fools when they don’t come true.

30. Concernedcitizen says:

Political leaders of America, what’s the best method to confront a national crises?
    Answer: Unleash the American spirit and character.
    Abe Lincoln revealed that he knew this when he stated,
    “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them the real facts.”

It appears that President Trump has some Lincoln in him. Under President Trump’s leadership, the USA ( and the world) is going to be just fine.

31. maggie0987 says:

Never knew that!

• swissik says:

I didn’t know that either, very interesting. However, I seem to remember having seen the “sleeping giant” quote at the Pearl Harbor monument. Was that built before the Tora movie or after?

32. InAz says:

Wonderful article! Thank you!

33. chuck lowe says:

The now viral recording of “Ode To Joy” assembled by the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra speaks, hails and calls to us from across national boundaries and borders in a language that we all speak on an existential level in times of chaos and duress.

Dutch Orchestra Play “Ode To Joy” From Their Homes

Dutch Orchestra Play “Ode To Joy” From Their Homes
    The Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra delivers Beethoven’s ‘Ode to Joy’ with 19 musicians playing their parts fro…

Speaking only English, I couldn’t ask anyone from Denmark to pass the toast, but the connection everyone on this planet can make in this music recorded for the world in a time of a different kind of war, under duress, as we forage ahead into the very real and justified fears of this disease is unmistakable. Across oceans, Nation States, civilizations and cultures we find, in times like this, a commonality that makes us all equal, some, in the democracy of death, some in the fear of same. We face those fears together far better than on our own. The Pre-Babylonian language of music lets us embrace our mortality in the company of our brothers and sisters all over the world.

“Ode To Joy” is best known as the coda of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony based on the poem by Freidrich Schiller. Take heart friends and know, that this is not the first, nor, will it be the last time people have banded together through music and found common cause.

From our friends in Denmark the music and from Schiller, the poetry of “Ode To Joy”.

Be embraced, Millions!
    This kiss to all the world!
    Brothers, above the starry canopy
    There must dwell a loving Father.
    Are you collapsing, millions?
    Do you sense the creator, world?
    Seek him above the starry canopy!
    Above stars must He dwell.

Today, as our heroic medical professionals start their cars, leave behind their loved ones and take up positions on the front lines of this raging conflict, we salute, stand by, love, cherish and pray for their safety.

God Bless America.

34. Bugsdaddy says:

Thank you Sundance, this is very uplifting.
    I want to pass on to everyone here an anecdote to reassure all that the younger generations are not “lost”.

My son (16 y.o.) and his friends, from the outset of the school closure and stay at home frenzy, organized for themselves an on-line school. They got the word on Friday school would be closed for three weeks, and they were up an running by Monday. His class of 10th graders, all committed to spending a minimum of 3 hours per day working together on school work, dividing the time between English, Math, History, Science and Bible classes. It has been a joy to watch the morning “virtual hugs” as well as the encouragement and strength they have all provided to each other each and every day (including Saturdays, yes, they meet 6 days a week).

About the third day of “shelter-in-place”, I overheard the conversation turn to, what can we do to help……and they quickly began listing things they could do, such as make a home visits to some of the elderly around town, which turned into making cards and putting them in peoples doors (so they wouldn’t make unnecessary contact) with those whose immune systems were not as strong……One of the things they asked in their cards, were if people needed help with anything, and they went back around to the houses they had visited, and collected the responses. So now for the past week and a half, these kids have been running for groceries, putting salt in water softeners, dropping off additional “words of encouragement cards”, and even making phone calls to just talk and listen to
    some of our elderly neighbors.

Yes, it is easy to get sucked into the “the younger generations are lazy, inept, stupid, glued to their video games, whatever label you want to add. But I’m here to tell you that just like every generation that has preceded them (just like mine) has a large number of ne’er-do-wells, but each has a significant minority of kids who do understand how to go above and beyond.

So once again, thanks to so many of the treepers here, please know your actions do not go unnoticed, and better yet emulated by those younger than us!

35. Sammy Hains says:

Reminder: Most journalists are failed Hollywood scriptwriters with degrees in creative writing.

36. Sammy Hains says:

We don’t do fake news here from either side.

37. Alleycats says:

Thank you Sundance!

This. This is why I am so in love with your big brain and even bigger heart. I salute you sir, and your Merry Band of Mods and Researchers.

Love to all,
    Alleycats

38. Attorney says:

AWESOME post! Amen 1000 times over. You rock, Sundance – Cheers!

39. destashjan says:

(sigh) Take this Q crap someplace else…

40. Gunner says:

Took my 75-year-young bride to have labs drawn this morning. Mentioned to the med personnel how much I appreciated their service and sacrifice, and that they were truly heroes. Two of them were overcome with emotion, saying I was the first to acknowledge them in that manner.

Hopefully, I won’t be the last!

41. 4EDouglas says:

Don’t forget the People who ride around in Patrol cars , Also those who wait for that bell or Horn to go off . to climb into the fire truck or ambulance.
    Take off with a load of Retardant , or Jump out of perfectly good airplanes into fire.
    There is no social distancing here..

42. wtd says:

An Update on the Coronavirus Treatment (Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin continue to show results for patients.) as posted behind a paywall in WSJ

was also posted by the author in a tweet:

update on #HCandAZ published by@WSJopinion. There is hope if we pursue this option aggressively.@realDonaldTrump@POTUS

43. hardworkinghousewife says:

“Q” only serves to give false hope instead of relying upon facts and logic. Whereas maybe some would rise to the occasion and take action, instead they sit back and “trust the plan.”

44. William Theodore Ward says:

There is one silver lining in my struggle with depression
    I don’t sweat the little stuff or the big stuff.

45. Sometime=”It’s possible” is written as “Fact” it take effort to sort out

46. CM-TX says:

Humor is the BEST medicine… 😁

47. coldanger says:

Well I’m bawling like a baby. What a fantastic and rousing article. Makes me prouder than ever to be an American!

48. Little Berkeley Conservative says:

I made a tiger king style pizza (expired pepperoni pizza) and shared with a neighbor. I let him have the first slice and sent him home with a four pack of toilet paper.

Not sure what is the biggest influence now? Westworld or Tiger King?

Neighborhood is great. Fresh eggs, lots of baking and neighbor has 800 gallon/day of clean drinking water he’s offering to anyone who needs it.

Stats: Monterey tested 561 people, yielding 36 positives and 1 death so far. Majority of positives in 18-59 ages

49. Joe says:

If a Trump speech writer is reading this post, can you PLEASE steal this and give it to President Trump, word for word?