Remember You Are Dust, And To Dust You Shall Return

Traditionally, Ash Wednesday and Lent have been associated with Catholicism, but that no longer holds true. More Christians are taking advantage of the “forty days” (it’s really 46) to prepare for Easter.

Lent is a time to fast, pray, give alms. Many Catholics will give something up. Sweets, alcohol, meat, cursing, something that is supposed to be sacrificial and difficult. We perform acts of penance, and frequently take part in public prayer, such as the Stations of the Cross, which most parishes will have weekly, often before a Lenten meal.

All this is meant to spiritually lead us into the desert, to prepare us to really be able to celebrate on Easter Sunday with a cleansed heart, open totally to Jesus in the Resurrection. It should also open us to our fellow men on this journey, particularly those in need.

If you have never thought much about Ash Wednesday and Lent, I invite you to consider making it a part of your life for the next six weeks. It’s one of the best things you can do for yourself as a Christian.  If you are in a dry spot, a time of struggle or you are stagnant and stuck, seemingly unable to grow and move in your faith, observing a penitential Lenten season might just be what your spiritual life needs.

Should you wish to participate in an Ash Wednesday service, you do not have to be Catholic. You will be welcome at any parish, and you can receive the ashes. As the priest, deacon, or perhaps layperson makes the cross on your forehead they will say “Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return” or “Repent, and believe in the Gospel.”

Also, there are many Lenten services in Catholic parishes and I cannot think of any one of them where a non Catholic would be uncomfortable or especially, unwelcome. No one is going to try to strong arm you or harass you. You may participate as much or as little as you wish, the only thing to know, which I am sure is common knowledge, is not to receive the Eucharist if you are not Catholic.

Many denominations now have services on Ash Wednesday, and Good Friday, and I believe there are weekly services available through Lent at many churches. Check out your own church’s schedules or call around to find out about visiting a church that has services or perhaps even a Friday fish fry. I promise Easter will be much more joyful and meaningful for having walked those 40 days with Christ.

Reading 1 Jl 2:12-18

Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart,
with fasting, and weeping, and mourning;
Rend your hearts, not your garments,
and return to the LORD, your God.
For gracious and merciful is he,
slow to anger, rich in kindness,
and relenting in punishment.
Perhaps he will again relent
and leave behind him a blessing,
Offerings and libations
for the LORD, your God.

Blow the trumpet in Zion!
proclaim a fast,
call an assembly;
Gather the people,
notify the congregation;
Assemble the elders,
gather the children
and the infants at the breast;
Let the bridegroom quit his room
and the bride her chamber.
Between the porch and the altar
let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep,
And say, “Spare, O LORD, your people,
and make not your heritage a reproach,
with the nations ruling over them!
Why should they say among the peoples,
‘Where is their God?’”

Then the LORD was stirred to concern for his land
and took pity on his people.

Please note, this is not a political post, it is an invitation to delve deeper into your faith, or your questions about God if you are not a Christian. If this is not your cup of tea, please pass by. I won’t let this post, or any of the following Lenten and Easter posts, become a place to argue denominations or beliefs.

If you have further questions, or really just have to complain, do it through email. I will delete those comments who break the rules and moderate the repeat offenders. I am sorry to have to put these comments here, but it is that or give up the Christmas and Easter posts.

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Religion, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

95 Responses to Remember You Are Dust, And To Dust You Shall Return

1. Super Elite says:

Lovely post. The first time I ever saw ashes on anyone’s forehead I was 20-years-old and had just moved up North to Philadelphia. I thought it was makeup. I don’t need to rend my heart. I spend a lot of my time with a broken heart and a little tear is often in the corner of my eye because I failed my familial relationships. I guess I need a healing for my soul. But then again I guess that’s what we all need. Stay blessed.

• highlander says:

May you have a blessed Lent, SE….. Know that you are also “SB”- – – Super-Beloved. ALWAYS. Every moment of every day.

No. matter. what.

• Norm Jean says:

God Bless SE… we all have a cross that we carry. It’s our blessing and greatest gift God loves with a whole heart. Keep a cheerful heart… see you in the Kingdom. Highlander.. your words were beautiful.

• LJP says:

NJ–thanks. I was just a conduit: read what SE wrote and had the strongest feeling God just wanted to reach down and tap SE, reassure him/her—-> ‘not to worry; all is forgiven.’

The MAGNIFICENCE of God’s love for us/each of us / you / me…..—take your breath away (!) Sometimes we’re gifted with a little glimpse of it (Him). Keeps us going.

Thank you for your kind words. That very special love keeps bouncing back and forth here!

• LJP says:

highlander / LJP = me—same person, 2 handles

• Norm Jean says:

LJP… so obvious you’re sensitive to the blessed movement of the Holy Spirit. Breath away for sure!!! When I read the posts here, it is so reassuring so many people with Christian love and knowledge in their hearts. Kindness is such a gift. Given the times we live in now… darkness is sure prevailing. God tells us of the end times..sure seems like it’s close. I just pray no one falls short and hunkers down until the seventh trump. The deception will be strong. Thanks for being you… such a blessing.

• Super Elite says:

Thank you.

• Gigi the Old says:

Certainly our bodies are dust and they will return to dust.
      But we have an immortal soul which, after death, will receive an incorruptible body. “…The lord Jesus Christ: who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body…Philippians 3:20-21.

• zorrorides says:

I’ve joined in with the Episcopals for thirty years now and we’ve always had Ash Wednesday and Lenten studies. The liturgy and readings are basically the same as Catholic services. Tonight for the most part I was touched and secured in the service.

The big line is actually in there twice. First time the priest says, “Remember, you are dust”‘ The second time he read, “Remember you are but dust”.

This evening we had two or three little ones with us and occasionally their little piping voices were easily heard. I thought to myself – ‘Oh please please it could happen here…

But no. No little child piped up to ask, “Mommy, what is butt dust?”

Still I know that story is true.

• lotbusyexec says:

SuperElite – carrying you in prayer today and cradling you in love as you continue to navigate your journey while hear on earth. We have all made mistakes, had regrets, been ashamed… you are not alone and today is ANOTHER chance to start anew. God, if we are lucky enough, gives us a clean slate every day! Should you fall, then just pick yourself up and start anew. God is all forgiving and all powerful. We are his children and he loves us unconditionally! Now go and have a blessed day – Gods got this AND so do you ❤️🙏💪

• jumpinjarhead says:

Just the slightest quibble with your otherwise nice post, there is no “luck” involved or needed with God. We can have a “clean state” if we repent and ask His forgiveness through Christ. This is the absolute certainty of God’s Grace to all of us sinners if we accept the sacrifice of His Son and enter a new life with Him.

• Pale rider says:

The day you receive Jesus as your Lord is just the beginning of a long tedious journey. You have one burden, it’s sacrifice yourself, and it’s daily. There can be no semblance of ego. (A false self to cope with this world)
          Many times in the Bible ‘the flesh’ is mentioned as our stumbling block yet we hold it so dear. Even Paul wanted out of this ‘dirtbag’, he knew it was a hinderance to his spirit but others needed his help. (Fasting is mandatory, it’s not an ‘if’ its A ‘when’) Telling is “we shall receive a transformed body’ this one is corrupt.
          The issue that constantly is condemning Christians is Satan, and he stands right in front of any believers who wish to approach our Lord. “There is no condemnation in Christ” and you must constantly remind yourself, that is why Jesus gave his life.
          When you bring up repented sin, it’s doubt in what Jesus did for us. Actually described as “a dog returning to his own vomit”. It made you miserable before, leave it, but you must leave it.
          Repentance means “it’s wrong, I know it, and I quit” and you do it for Jesus, his love is our strength.
          The Bible reflects who we are and describes who Christ is. The Holy Spirit, our guide in this journey. Fasting allows you to hear the Holy Spirit speaking to you. Once familiar it is easier to proceed. Prayer becomes, ‘talking with a close friend’ not a ‘religious act’.
          Every act of ‘religion’ described in the word is for a purpose. It is not the end it is the ‘means’ to the end. And very helpful, tools as it were. Tools are used not admired for their beauty. Sometimes they are not so beautiful.
          God is a God of laws, he created all in perfect sequence and his laws are immutable. We live in this physical world BUT the spiritual created the physical so it takes authority over this world.
          That’s what Jesus offers us all through his word and teaching. “Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added unto you” it’s a goal, a focus point to get you moving and keep you moving towards him. If you stop at the ‘sin and repentance ‘ part you miss what God has offered us all.

• Exactly. And the supernatural phenomenon is that as our relationship with the Holy Trinity grows our hearts are surrendered to God’s and that love which He has infuses our prayers and our lives.

When Christ said “I never knew you” he was not being harsh, but He was telling us that Heaven is reserved for those who have forsaken everything but love of God, which is the ONLY path to our realizing our true selves.

When we serve ourselves on this earth we are not actually serving ourselves but he who is the overseer of the earth, the fallen angel, the prince of darkness. People do not understand too often that God judges us according to our heart and OUR choices. If we have lived only to attain the world, then we cut ourselves off from Heaven, which is the origin and destination of all good.

A child’s faith is comprised of complete faith and trust and desire for all good. This is Christ’s character, His mother’s and all those who reside in and are awaiting entrance to Heaven.

We all have to striving to be saints because Heaven is only inhabited by saints.

• Pale rider says:

“Not being harsh” yes, and in teaching of who God is we often lose that aspect of God. Many are taught a punitive God not a loving God then we experience punishment instead of guiding love. That’s where “knowing God” comes in to our lives.
              Who, is God? He is love! Would he ever turn you away or send you to hell? No, he gives you the most precious gift, even our constitution recognizes this, ‘Free will’. Freedom to choose.
              If you ever encounter the spirit of our lord personally, you will fall madly in love with him. ‘Songs of Solomon’.
              Reckless abandonment! You will understand that he is more real than anything in this world.
              Good stuff jkash!

• lotbusyexec says:

In regards to “luck” I meant if we see/breathe another day and not die prior to a new day – sorry for confusion 💙 Not everyone gets another day.

• Chump Change says:

You don’t have to shoulder your burdens all by yourself. Learn to pray. Start here and introduce yourself to your local priest…that is what he is here for: https://www.oca.org/parishes

• Don says:

Lent is basically about renewal…. renewal through penance, forgiveness and charity.
      Its a time when we turn away from our sinful failures, and turn toward God. For it is God who will pick up us when we fall…. so that we may continue to walk our restless hearts toward him. Lent helps us get back on that path, redirected toward God.

• Due Gonzalez says:

SE -We never know who we touch along our short journey here on earth. Your words have reminded me we are never alone in our struggles. I needed to hear your words which have made my burden a little lighter. I wish you a blessed Lent.

• What I MOST look forward to in Heaven (and pray that I get there!) is the moment that God will let me see how many souls were helped to get to Heaven by MY prayer and sacrifice.

I cannot imagine anything more joyful than knowing that aligning myself with Christ’s suffering has helped someone who needed God’s mercy and who was helped through my saying ‘yes’ to the Holy Spirit’s invitation to pray for souls.

• Blind no Longer says:

Prayers for you Super Elite!!
      28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am [a]gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
      Matthew 11:28-12:8

2. Sentient says:

“I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father are in me and I in you”. John 17:20-22.
    May we all be one in Christ Jesus. For those who don’t know, the forty days of Lent mirrors the Lord’s 40 days of fasting in the desert.

And for our Jewish brethren, you’ll understand why I took “holy (blessed) water to put a “tau” on all of our lintels today, as in the days of Moses, that the angel of death may pass us by, although not my will, but yours, Lord. I love you all.

3. Keating Willcox says:

excellent

4. Jim Raclawski says:

this year… entering Lent at this time in history has to be considered the most important transition yet… we’re facing some of the most challenging times any of us have EVER faced (short of combat…) my heart is full of foreboding… my trust in my Lord is my rock
    we do so want deliverance from what’s on our path… that’s not going to be possible.. our test is approaching just a Jesus had his trial set before Him…
    Thank you for entertaining&enlightening… each day started with The Lord’s Prayer has been the best part of my day… you will continue on your mission…. God Bless all in your clan….

God Bless President Trump and protect him in his mission….

and God Bless the Republic… May we turn our face back toward Him and walk again in His presence
    Semper Fi .

• Kirsty I says:

“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”
      2 Chronicles 7:14

• Laurie Walker says:

I’ve prayed to God to allow us four more years of the current administration, and if we the people can’t turn the tide then let God send his rath because we’re a lost cause.

The seven deadly sins have been thriving in the U.S. for decades, and there seems no end in sight to the depravity.

• WE have so long deserved his wrath for letting these tens of millions and millions of disabled and elderly be killed…and the fact that He has been merciful gives such HOPE…which God keeps telling us to turn to rather than anxiety and foreboding (however i think we can all relate to our very human default to foreboding in the face of such global persecution).

Last century there were more martyrs than all of those who came before and prophecy has given some mystics the wisdom to say that THIS century shall FAR surpass that. Given how the world is turning away from ANY attempt to aid the persecuted Jews and Christians I’d say that I can see how this prophecy is being fulfilled.

From the blood of the martyrs comes the seeds of the faith.
          Greater love hath no man than he that shall lay down his life for another

5. babrightlight says:

Pray for our nation. We all say God bless America…let’s not just honor God with our lips, but our whole being. If we’re a nation under God, let’s act like one. No matter what religion one believes or none at all, we can follow the Golden Rule of treat others as you wish to be treated (Matt. 7:12). Best if we follow the new command of Christ, “Love others as I have loved you.” (John 13:34, 15:12). And may God bless the conservativetreehouse to continue to shine the light of truth on the darkness of corruption.

6. SoCal Dad says:

I will take only water for my meals during Lent. Got a few things making me angry this season. Giving up beer is not going to help that, but circumstances converged to make this a fitting cross to carry. I will also be giving up time to pursue a legal matter with the ex. This will also require a sacrifice of money which I’d frankly rather spend on beer. There is a possibility I might not win the legal argument, so peace of mind will be hard to come by over the next 40 days.

I’m participating in a Lenten Devotional at my church and the above is pretty much my opening summary. Thanks for this site. God bless.

• lotbusyexec says:

Praying for you! Would be wonderful if we all could just “let go”. I recall a story I was told when I was younger regarding how monkeys are captured and shipped off to zoos. They take a gourd and remove all pulp and seed. They carve a small circle hole in the side and then fill the gourd with bananas. Monkey comes along and smells bananas. Monkey inspects gourd and puts arm in and then can’t get banana out and now also hand. As he continues to try and get bananas out he sees poacher approaching with bag to capture him. If only he’d let go of the banana he’d be free! But alas the monkey cannot do that because he does not have the ability mentally to do that so he gets captured. Moral of story to humans is, we DO have the ability to “let go” of the banana (ie, problem with your X, if your going to probably lose than do so now and save yourself the stress – LET GO of the banana) SO if you can do! 💙

• Pale rider says:

Pray a prayer for those You have negative issues with and also those You wish to bless, “God bless them in this matter”, and let it go as best you can, it is a process.
        When God is invited into our problems with others, his righteousness is used. When we wish harm on them, his righteousness is the judge, and we are to love thy neighbor. You will be convicted to right a wrong if you are out of Gods will.
        It’s not hard, it’s the easiest thing to do. The ‘fault’ will become obvious to us, and if it’s our own we repent, this allows God to work.
        You must see a change in yourself concerning the issue. Practiced, it becomes easier and evident.

• prtomr says:

Pale Rider, I like that part of your comment where you say, “it is a process”. If only we could snap our fingers when we accept Him as Lord and Savior and be totally Christ-like. That just doesn’t happen. To become more Christ-like, one must practice. I have discovered that the spiritual disciplines are the best way to practice. It is not an easy path to follow and the rewards are those that only the Holy Spirit can bestow. Change is brought about not by personal efforts, but by change within brought about by the Holy Spirit through practice, daily practice, thus it is a process. Thanks be to God.

7. fabrabbit says:

Thank you. I was reared as a Catholic and practiced “giving something up” for Lent, usually candy. I am no longer Catholic or even a Christian but I love the idea of Lent. It serves a wonderful purpose and is a daily reminder of my messy humanity. I occasionally participate I’m Holy Thursday or Good Friday services as I find them so lovely. Great suggestion to participate in Lent.

8. Jay Currie says:

A wonderful Anglican priest who was a friend of mine suggested that we see Lent not only as a time of renunciation but also as a time of change. Rather than “giving up” something, why not embrace something new?

The intent is the same: to walk with Christ towards his Crucifixion and Resurrection.

9. Kirsty I says:

“Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
    Do not cast me away from Your presence,
    And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
    And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
    Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
    and sinners will return to you.”
    Psalm 51:10-13

• Tim says:

I am the Bread of Life John Michael Talbot

• 4E Douglas says:

I.m Baptist now not by choice, but necessity. The Lutheran Liturgy is very similar to
      The Catholic liturgy. Miss the beauty of that. Our old Church on the Soouth coast of Oregon had a pastor who had been a Presbyterian- left to become an Missouri Synod
      Pastor, he was also a retired USCG Senior CPO. Amazing man and an amazing voice..
      I Left the LCMS when we moved to NE Oregon.The church and my wife belonged to had not a problem with associating with the ELCA-which is apostate.. We left for a
      local Baptist church, One day we talked abut Lent -at bibile study and got the strangest look from the leader and several others-“ewww. you did that Catholic stuff too?” Then on that very Sunday the pastor at the time-did a sermon the cleared up some questions on
      Lent- he was brought up Lutheran and said to the congreation that ‘Hey folks, this is all biblical-Advent-Lent- leads to the cross. Easter. .

10. ZurichMike says:

When we were kiddies, Mom and Dad made us give up candy or sweets for Lent. We thought it a HUUUUUUUGE burden. Response from Mom: “And what is your suffering to that of Jesus hanging on the Cross for your sins?”

Now that we’re all adults, Mom still asks around Ash Wednesday: “So, what are you giving up for Lent this year?” Mind you, my mother’s side of the family is Italian ancestry. One year, after thinking about what I could give up for Lent that would indeed be a burden for me, a typical Italian-American guy, I called my Mom and said: “This year I’m giving up pasta.” There was silence at the other end of line and then she said in an agitated voice: ‘Are you CRAZY? Can’t you give up something else?”

Honestly, it’s so ingrained with Italians — I think they would deny the Lord three times before the cooking pasta reached “al dente”. Sigh.

A good fast to you all!

11. A2 says:

Lamentations 1:12

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte:
    Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
    V. Atténdite, univérsi pópuli, et vidéte dolórem méum.
    Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.

(O all you who walk by on the road, pay attention and see:
    if there be any sorrow like my sorrow.
    V. Pay attention, all people, and look at my sorrow:
    if there be any sorrow like my sorrow.)

12. Peter Rabbit says:

The extraordinary singer Aaron Neville and Father Jeff Bayhi, a parish priest in Louisiana, recorded an amazing CD ten years ago. Entitled Doing It My Way. It can be found on You Tube.

It is an amazing rendition of Christ’s Passion, or Stations of the Cross. Mesmerizing, thought provoking and healing.

Thank you, Sundance, for this forum.

13. Patrick Healy says:

Thank you Menagerie for that lovely piece. We are just back from morning Mass with well blackened foreheads.
    My beautiful ex fiance of 52 years ago did a great job of that reading at mass.
    On a far more serious note, not just for America but for humanity, just yesterday your Senators voted 56 to 41 to NOT ban the murder of babies who survive abortion.
    After the vote they (apparently) stood and cheered.
    Can this diabolical assembly be described in any way other than being inspired by satan.
    Answers on the back of a postage stamp please.

• sDee says:

They dance with the Devil.

• Pale rider says:

Perfect description sDee!
        I continually have visions of the Israelites dancing around the Golden calf when Moses came down with the commandments when I see or hear these blatant sins against God.

Thinking on that moment: Many believers watched, they ran from the calf, but were always present to its making and worship. Joshua went on to receive the promised land.
        Also noted , ‘golden calf’ meant wealth spent on its making.’ Idol’ but also they had to have gold to give gold. Designates the wealthy.
        Jesus warns about giving the wealthy a special seat at the table, yet look what we have done. It’s not moral character, that people seek in leaders.

• cplogics says:

Patrick, can you provide a source for your comment regarding the post birth abortion bill passed in the Senate. I have seen this referenced twice on this site in the last 24 hours but without evidence and I have not been able to verify it. If true, the issue will now be what will the President do with it?

• TMonroe says:

“Also on Tuesday, Senate Democrats blocked a request by Republicans to vote on a separate bill, the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act, which would require abortion providers to attempt to “preserve the life and health” of a fetus born alive after a botched abortion. The upper chamber voted 56 to 41 against ending the filibuster. “I urge my colleagues to picture a baby that’s already been born, that’s outside the womb gasping for air,” said the bill’s sponsor, Senator Ben Sasse of Nebraska, arguing that “nothing in this bill touches abortion access” and it is solely about protecting “babies that have already been born.“”

It’s one of the few issues in mainstream press that isn’t led by all sorts of Dem comments. Even they don’t relish spinning murder, let alone in an election year,

14. Paula Lumb says:

As I age, the more I realize how much I need Jesus and how much I am loved by my Father. I am a Methodist off and on (mostly off in recent decades) and have decided to support it one last time because for the first time in decades I see a possible redemption for my denomination as it battles between believers and the radical elements. Pray for us. Our roots are strong and, “…there is hope for a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that its tender branch will not cease.” Job 14:7

15. sDee says:

“We do not wear ashes to proclaim our holiness. But to acknowledge we are sinners”

Amen.

16. Chump Change says:

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people”. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

“Human passions unbridled by morality and religion…would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net.”

“Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak; and that it is doing God’s service when it is violating all his laws.”

“Because power corrupts, society’s demands for moral authority and character increase as the importance of the position increases.”

– John Adams

17. slowcobra says:

Thank you Menagerie for the annual Lenten post. I take comfort in not only the reminder for the beginning of the season, but also for the reminder that there are many folks out there praying for the same things as I (mostly our beloved President Trump and the spirit of our great nation, as well as our forefathers and soldiers who got us to our freedoms today).
    I will say extra prayers at 9a Mass this morning.

“If you desire heaven, you must walk in the way which leads to heaven.” St. Alphonsus Liguori

18. Conservative_302 says:

I love this site. I am very grateful to have news and religion in the same site. Thank you.

19. lansdalechip says:

Excellent piece Sundance.
    Perhaps if more folks had heeded this advice earlier, we wouldn’t be in the mess we’re currently in.

20. Niagara Frontier says:

“I’m giving up being stupid for Lent.” A video posted on my church website that helped me put things back into perspective this morning.

21. Niagara Frontier says:

This is the video I intended to post. If it’s the same vid as above, then the You-tube link is wrong, and I apologize. This should be titled “Preparing for Lent.”

22. John Wagner says:

Most excellent post!

• Niagara Frontier says:

Now I see the video is part of the main post. I swear I didn’t see it there this morning, otherwise I wouldn’t have posted it again. Memo to self….no Treehouse before second cup of coffee.

23. TradeBait says:

Good place to start renewal of our faith is today – cleansing of the soul, mind and body. Thanks, sundance.

Practiced Lent and attended Ash Wednesday services in the UMC for 35 years before returning to our SBC roots 5 years ago. It is the one worship experience we miss that the SBC has not yet embraced, so we participate in our home.

I wish everybody could experience the peace that comes from acceptance of Jesus Christ as their personal savior along with the forgiveness of past, present and future mistakes and sins that derives from that simple decision. The Lord has totally changed my life in ways that amaze even me, much less people who knew me in my darker days. I look so forward to being with Him forever when I have breathed my last here on earth. My life decisions now have taken on new meaning as I understand they reflect my heart. My actions reflect the condition of my relationship with Him along with my commitment. I still fail so often, yet, I know in my heart He forgives and restores. I pray for all to experience this and more.

24. Jim says:

I am going through some self inflicted struggles (why do we humans do things to ourselves) and have been asking for help/guidance in my daily prayers, knowing I also must start to help myself.

So this morning I see this post and it’s like “whoa, a prayer answered”. So touching to me and yet not surprising, God always has me even when I sometimes don’t recognize it. I’ve been so blessed and saved throughout my life.

Thank you for this post Sundance.

25. phaedrus cj says:

26. 13wasylyna says:

I just received my ashes outside a Starbucks from the pastor of a Methodist church. Personal rite. Thank you UMC from a lapsed Catholic

27. CrewDog says:

Happy Lent 😉
    Let US Pray that 2020 is the year that The Republic, as envisioned by Our Founders, is Resurrected.
    GOD SAVE THE REPUBLIC!

28. LDave says:

Thank you. Prayers for a deep and meaningful Lent to all our brothers and sisters in Christ.

29. Scott B. says:

Participating Pentecostal here, and for personal reasons; while also praying for all the people, and the politicians…

Joel 2:12-18, (n the original post, “Joel” is mangled a bit.), 2 Chronicles 7:14, Psalm 51, and Isaiah 58 are a few relevant scriptures.

Thanx to Menagerie for this post. May God richly bless you all,

30. kokopuf says:

Thank you for that wonderful post, Menagerie! My wife is Catholic and I am Southern Baptist. Baptists don’t put a lot of attention to Lent but because of my wife, I have learned to appreciate the Catholic traditions and rituals associated with Lent. It is truly a beautiful tradition and my faith strengthened the more I learn of it.

31. Dora says:

32. pacnwbel says:

For a few years now I have been practising taking on a Lenten project rather than forgoing some kind of treat. It requires as much self discipline but in a beneficial way. As increasing age renders one less mobile, lenten studies are a good choice, plus I have embarked on writing a history of my Anglican church newly established in 2007 while events are still within the founders’ recall. I recommend J.I.Packers new book Knowing God, which discusses the differences between knowing about God, the theology aspect, and actually knowing God in your daily life and work, walking with God. Thank you for this important thread.

• Don says:

As disclaimers go… its not a book a Catholic could read without noticing the inherent contradictions to their Catechism of the Church. Recommendations are fine and all that, but prospective readers should know the authors perspective is – in my opinion – that of a “soft” Calvinism with a modern day twist. There are always the caveats when it comes to reading Christian books…in which the reader should be aware of if possible……
      And this is not to say it isn’t a good read for those who choose to do so…. not at all…

33. Dekester says:

Thank you for providing the Link, as youngsters we never went to a church ( except for an occasional wedding or funeral.) So information such as this is most helpful to me.
    A.D.D. is a challenge for me. The three minute format is perfect for the likes of me.

I was thinking if I was to be serious about this, and had to pick something that would be difficult for me to give up.

It would have to be CTH…Forty days without CTH..🙁 No I will try for the no cursing instead, but that will mean not ever seeing or listening to the likes of Romney, Karl Rove, or or the CNN marionettes. I will try 😉

Gdo bless PDJT

34. DaPicayune says:

Thanks, Sundance,…. think I will revive our “Fish on Fridays-no meat” tradition this Lenten Season. I recall our Latin Masses as a young Alter Boy,…. long ago in New Orleans, a huge Catholic City.

It’s the season to Feed our Souls in anticipation of the Easter rebirth of our Savior who died for our sins so that mankind can be redeemed by his Father, our Lord.

35. Menagerie says:

I’d just like to post a reminder. This is not a political thread. Please don’t make it one. Each comment that has a little political twist invites a reply that goes further.

Keep the politics separate so that we can continue these posts.

36. hrmfc says:

Thank you!
    In this secular, frequently vulgar world, it is so refreshing and renewing to spend time with people of faith. I attended mass this morning and then went to a Methodist Church to help with the food pantry. When I was in my church I noticed how full it was and when the pastor at the Methodist church gave out ashes , my heart was full. I didn’t sing it out loud but sang to myself the wonderful hymn, “They will know we are Christians by our love.” If all of the people I encountered today turned to God, (some will be fasting and some will do bible studies, ) it seems to me there is hope for our world.
    Every single day I ask God to bless our nation and restore peace, justice and ethics. This Lent as we all turn to repentance, fasting or alms giving, our country can be restored one person at a time. Individually and collectively our prayers are heard. May God bless our nation, our President and the writers and readers of Conservative Treehouse.

37. We attend an Episcopalian church and, just as an explanatory note, during Lent Sundays are considered “Feast Days,” i.e., not actually part of Lent. Hence the 46 actual days during the 40 days of Lent.

Off now to an Ash Wednesday service.

And yes Menagerie, thank you for posting this every year, what SD teaches us is important; this is eternal.

38. Gary G. says:

Thank you so much for this post. You have touched my heart and reminded me why and how we exist. I have been humbled and will return to Him.

39. Patience says:

reflections
    conscience
    ….awaken one to being conscious

Praise and thank God

40. Sepp says:

The opportunity to have a “place” on the electronic public square for posts, such as this one, and the sincere expressions of Christian Faith by folks here is a sort of consolation.

For anyone who might be interested, this coming Monday will be the start of Great Lent, or the Great Fast, in the Orthodox Christian Church. God willing (after all, most of us do not know when we will repose), I will be sharing quality links and so forth on the Open Thread in the days ahead.

41. Harvey Lipschitz says:

I’ll give up fish for Lent.

Catfish, salmon, shrimp. Pray for courage and strength.

Our Pentecostal church does a week of fasting and prayer before we have a Sunday Communion service every few months. Going on only water Fri -Sun is difficult. One year it was during a business conference at a Country Club in Dallas and it seemed like the long desert tables stretched from Texas to Jerusalem.

42. FofBW says:

If you have not already discovered this channel, EWTN (Eternal Word Television Network), It is very highly recommended to increase your knowledge and spirituality.

The entire global network was established by a Nun in Irondale, Alabama. Mother Angelica, who is amazing and will without a doubt be a Saint, was guided by Divine providence and her child Jesus.

43. tsmifjones says:

I have proof there is no God

44. VandalizeDuhMastuhsAlgorithms says:

This is the song my Ash Wednesday service closed with:

“Now the light has gone away”

Enjoy this rendition, good night, stay warm and keep your powder dry…

Now the light has gone away;
    Father, listen while I pray,
    Asking you to watch and keep
    And to send me quiet sleep.

Jesus, Savior, wash away
    All that has been wrong today;
    Make me more like you each day
    In all that I do and say.

Let my near and dear ones stand
    In the hollow of your hand;
    Oh, bring me and all I love
    To your happy home above.

Now my evening praise I give;
    You once died that I might live.
    All my blessings come from you
    Through your kindness ever new.

O my blest and dearest Friend,
    You will love me to the end.
    Let me love you more and more,
    Always better than before.

Author: Liederbuch fur Kleinkinger-Schulen
    Tune: Mude Bin Ich
    1st Published in: 1870

45. Ackman419 says:

Took both my kids out of school early today for a noon service.
    5 and 7
    It was their first Catholic mass.
    They were troopers. Said it was boring, but really wanted the ashes.
    The priest explained that 14 and under need not abstain, which was a huge relief for them.
    They have a lot of questions.
    Which is good, I think.
    Bless you all.
    And thank you M for this thread.