A response to the formal summons from the Senate, notifying the Executive Office of the President of impeachment proceedings, was due at 6:00pm ET today. The White House has responded [WH pdf link – and embed below] with a seven-page position answer.
[Via White House] THE HONORABLE DONALD J. TRUMP, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, HEREBY RESPONDS:
The Articles of Impeachment submitted by House Democrats are a dangerous attack on the right of the American people to freely choose their President. This is a brazen and unlawful attempt to overturn the results of the 2016 election and interfere with the 2020 election—now just months away. The highly partisan and reckless obsession with impeaching the President began the day he was inaugurated and continues to this day.
Previously adopted by unanimous consent:
- A Summons to the White House notifying them of the impeachment trial will be issued by the Senate. A deadline for WH response: Saturday January 18th, 2020, 6:00pm,
- The House of Representatives (impeachment managers) have a deadline of 5:00pm Saturday, January 18th, 2020, for the filing of their impeachment brief to the Senate.
- The White House (defense lawyers) have a response deadline of 5:00pm Monday, January 20th, for their response to the House impeachment brief.
- The House of Representatives (impeachment managers) have a deadline of Noon Tuesday, January 21st, for their rebuttal brief to the White House defense brief.
- The Senate Trial begins at 1:00pm Eastern, Tuesday January 21st, 2020.
Senators will not be allowed to bring their cell phones or any electronic device into the Senate chamber while the trial is underway.