It has always been a curious question about who released the controversial text messages between FBI lawyer Lisa Page and FBI Supervisory Agent Peter Strzok.  In a DOJ court brief (full pdf below) in support of a motion to dismiss the lawsuit of Peter Strzok, former Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein explains how and why he authorized the release:

It would have been a little more interesting if Rosenstein could have narrowed down the timing of OIG notification from “in the summer of 2017”, as it would outline specifically when Rosenstein became aware of the controversial issue.  Before or after he joined the crew in authorizing -and signing- a false FISA application?….

Obviously, at least in my opinion, the lack of specificity here is evidence of Rosenstein’s CYA motive.  If Rosenstein was aware of the texts from inside the key participants of the Crossfire Hurricane team, prior to authorizing the third FISA renewal… he was either a complete doofus, or complicit and willfully blind.   I digress.

Rosenstein saying he decided to release the text messages because they would inevitably become public after his testimony before the House Judiciary Committee during the Mueller investigation. Also saying he wanted to ensure they were not “cherry-picked” for public release by members of Chairman Bob Goodlatte’s committee.

“With the express understanding that it would not violate the Privacy Act and that the text messages would become public by the next day in any event, I authorized [Justice’s Office of Public Affairs] to disclose to the news media the text messages that were being disclosed to Congressional committees.”

Sketchy Rod Rosenstein’s five-page statement can found below in the attachment to the DOJ motion:

[Cloud Direct Link to pdf Format Here]

The original news reports from journalists gaining knowledge of the Strzok/Page text messages on December 2nd, 2017, always seemed tied to the ridiculous and coerced guilty plea by Michael Flynn signed two days earlier, November 30th, 2017.

Obviously those within the DOJ/FBI or IC were able to keep the texts hidden from “the summer” through the end of November….  Then Flynn was forced into the plea… and then suddenly a series of leaks from inside the FBI system started on December 1st, 2017.  That chain of events led to congress asking questions and demanding to see them.  As a result of those congressional inquires, Rosenstein authorized their release December 12th, 2017.

This entry was posted in Abusive Cops, AG Bill Barr, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Conspiracy ?, Decepticons, Deep State, Dem Hypocrisy, Dept Of Justice, Donald Trump, Donald Trump Transition, Election 2016, FBI, IG Report Clinton Investigation, IG Report Comey, IG Report FISA Abuse, IG Report McCabe, media bias, Notorious Liars, President Trump, Spygate, Tripwires, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

212 Responses to DOJ Filing – Former Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein Admits to Authorizing Release of Lisa Page and Peter Strzok Text Messages…

1. freepetta says:

Rosenstink still smells like 💩

• Tall Texan says:

This settles it. Rosenstein is definitely a brown hat.

• Why was Rod Rosenstein allowed to be chosen by Jeff Sessions? And why weren’t they summarily dismissed when Mueller was appointed?

I guess it’s really true that hindsight is 20-20.

• freepetta says:

Because DC is a cesspool

• G. Alistar says:

Rosenstein was not selected by Jeff Sessions rather by President Donald J. Trump. Why not dismissed when SC Mueller was appointed you ask? In order to guide, control and keep a thumb on Mueller and his team of 17 angry democrat lawyers and 40 FBI guys. Why Jeff Sessions not dismissed earlier, either he screwed up by his early recusal or like Rosenstein, he was in on this giant sting set up by POTUS. Sundance wrote above, “Rosenstein was either a complete doofus, or complicit and willfully blind. I digress.” I disagree….Rosenstein was either a white hat from the start or was a grey hat who was made an offer he could not refuse…then became a loyal spy for DJT inside the DOJ. His job: to collect incontrovertible legal evidence that will implicate and be used by Durham to prosecute the likes of Comey, Brennan, Comey, Strozk and the rest. Not sure POTUS really wants to go after Obama legally, but he will kick his butt politically. Once Rosenstein was in charge of the Mueller investigation, it was a “fait accompli” it just had to run it’s course until enough evidence was collected on the swamp. Now we face an impeachment which is another trap for democrats. Prediction, both Rudy and Bolton testify in exchange for Hunter and absolutely crush the likes of Schiff, Pilosi, Nadler. Trump completely exonerated and dirt on many swamp dems and GOP politicians come to light. Then say about May or June, the Durham legal efforts become public and we see public trials with a bunch of Obama Administration key political appointees going to jail. Maximum political influence leases to Landslide Nov 2020 and control of the House. It is not by accident. Trump knew he was being spied on the day Admiral Rogers spilled the beans…this is a trap. It’s been working for three years. Rosenstein has been made to look like part of the villain and corrupt, he is not. Take it to the bank! Mortgage the farm and fly to Vegas, bet on it.

• CharterOakie says:

Like the scenario. Hope it plays out that way.

• Bill Durham says:

A trusty 17th letter of the alphabet follower. RR is no white hat. He is not a black hat. he is a scared bureaucrat who did the bidding of whichever side was in power. His honor was to himself. When he saw POTUS surrounded by enemies he volunteered to help. When Barr came in and his duplicity was discovered, RR flipped and agreed to end the Mueller probe. Not out of honor. To save his rear. For that his role will be hidden and he gets a Payday with a new firm

• Interesting….but my jury is still out, even after reading BD’s comment below.

• Redzone says:

Ali- if I give you my address, will you send me some of whatever it was that you smoked tonight?

• donna kovacevic says:

As we say “nije lepo” meaning not nice to say! Ali is not a troll I have seen posts before, which were not disrespectful to any other poster. To say what you did Redzone, nije lepo.

• Redzone says:

Donna – it was meant in good fun. I don’t hammer people for their opinion on here. In fact, quite the opposite.

• G. Alistar says:

Beside Redzone, I never smoke dope, never have and never will. Now….extremely rare, small batch, top shelf, Kentucky bourbon….that’s a horse of a different color. p.s., Rosenstein is the trap for corrupt DoJ, FBI and Obama Administration dirty cops and crooks. Accountability is coming. IF this fact was known by the public or even the FBI, he would not be a trap rather a waste of time, effort and money. “Truth is so precious in wartime, she must always be surrounded by a body guard of lies.” Winston Churchill. Donald J. Trump knew this three years ago, and still knows it today.

• Rhi says:

Well I for one got a chuckle out of the banter. Appreciate all you treepers!

• Reilly17 says:

I agree 100% that RR was in on the sting against the coup plotters. Judging from the comments here, “deception” (which by the way was cited by Sun Tzu in the Art of War) was massively successful.

• lindashawn says:

By God may you be right. I often wondered about muellers testimony and how he acted so weird. Maybe he just realize he was caught. The thought of being caught as a part of a treasonous plot would scare the heck out of you.

• Dutchman says:

HIND -sight, is the FIRST thing you see, when you jerk your head, outa your *ss.

If the condition becomes chronic, theres a new kind of Dr. Cross between a chiropracter and a proctologist. Jerks your head out, and adjusts your spine to keep it from going back in.

But like a chiropracter, its a TREATMENT, not a cure. Gotta keep going back..my appointments next week.

In severe cases this won’t work, so they reccomend surgically implanting a plexiglass window in the belly, so at least you can see where your going.

So far, Biden is refusing surgery,…Pelosi, too.

• Parker Longbaugh says:

He released heavily redacted test messages in which things like a $70,00.00 dollar desk McCabe ordered which not fit in his office. Rod Rosensteins release of heavily redacted tests had us spinning our wheels and did not advance the truth.

2. John Davis says:

I’m leaning towards doofus choosing to be blind. It seems to be a attribute with deep state actors.

• Linda K. says:

No way blind! He is being sued by Sharyl Atkinson as one of the culprits involved in hacking onto her home computer with scary spyware. He looks like Walter Mitty but he is a real ruthless creep.

• Cam Heck says:

One of the other defendants named, “Ryan White” is allegedly the fellow that tipped Sharyl off to the fact that her surveillance was on RR’s orders. ‘Mr White’ also claims RR is behind the, err, untimely demise of Seth Rich.

• trapper says:

I tend to agree with Mr. Davis.

“he was either a complete doofus, or complicit and willfully blind.”

Third alternative: complicit and willfully blind doofus. Fourth alternative, and I have known a couple of these who had everyone fooled: a sharp a cunning fox pretending to be a doofus. I have come to wonder if Carter Page falls in this fourth category

• Kay Emig says:

If one wants to avoid the Seth Rich thingy, you just don’t see anything, right?

3. Krashman Von Stinkputin says:

he was either a complete doofus, or complicit and willfully blind.

According to Kash Patel in Lee Smith’s book The Plot Against the President.
    Rod didn’t know what a Woods File (for the Carter Page FISA warrant) even was.

So Kash’s vote is “doofus”.

• Krashman Von Stinkputin says:

Kash was Devin Nunes’ chief investigator.

• flyboy46 says:

How about BOTH, a blind doofus, and a Rat?

• Snellvillebob says:

Rosenstein was a career Government employee who, before he was made assistant AG was out nations longest-serving US attorney. He knew damn well what the Woods file is.

• Krashman Von Stinkputin says:

Best I provide the quote
        The Plot Against the President-Lee Smith
        PG 223

Patel asked Rosenstein to what extent the FISA on Carter Page had been verified. “I asked him about the Woods File, and he says ‘I don’t know what that is.” says Patel. “I’m thinking, he was the United States Attorney for Maryland and a federal prosecutor, and he doesn’t know what a Woods file is. Is this guy being coy, or does he really not know? So I explained it to him in front of his senior staff.”
        (Nice move Kash. LOL)
        …..
        Rosenstein’s ignorance of standard DOJ procedures suggested to Patel that the deputy attorney general had not really not read the warrant. “That was the time that Rosenstein really started to dislike me.” he says.
        (LOL…so it was KASH that figured out RR hadn’t read it and made for that confrontation in the House hearing)

• Robert Smith says:

Then that makes Kash an idiot too for believing Rod.

Hi! I’m Rod Rosenstein. I don’t read anything I sign nor do I know under what obligations I have or the DOJ in anything. Therefore I am not responsible for anything. Of course, I would screw you to the wall and jail and bankrupt you for much, much, much less in any interaction with the DOJ and FBI/CIA (who really knows how to separate these two now?).

BUT HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY PROFESSIONALISM, SIR, OR THAT OF THE INSTITUTION. *points finger*

• Krashman Von Stinkputin says:

Didn’t read the book didya?

Kash was the one who devised the plan for Nunes to uncover that the DNC paid FusionGPS paid for the Steele Dossier.

So without him….we would have never proven the Steele Dossier was no more than oppo-research and therefore…
        NO Nunes Memo and
        NO IG FISA Report.

But clearly you’re much smarter than him.

• Krashman Von Stinkputin says:

Best I provide the quote
        The Plot Against the President-Lee Smith
        PG 223

(Nice move Kash. “Your boss is a doofus or flirting with me”. LOL)
        …..

I’ll take “idiots” like this on my team every day.

Oh and I’ll add this quote FROM NUNES
        PG 309
        “It’s clear that Rosenstein flipped at some point. Whether Barr initiated it or Rosenstein offered himself up, he started becoming very helpful.”

Maybe Devin Nunes is an idiot too.

• Robert Smith says:

If you would have posted that then I wouldn’t have said it. Patel can’t obviously call Rosenstein a liar because that wouldn’t be productive. Either way “doofus” is giving Rosenstein an out which he doesn’t deserve.

And I don’t think I’m smarter than anyone who figures out how this Coup goes together.

• Krashman Von Stinkputin says:

Instead of calling him the idiot perhaps you should have called the guy who posted it one: me.

Or maybe you just did.
            Which I’m OK with.

I do like the image of Rod playing “coy” though….maybe he has a future on an upcoming season of “The Bachelor”
            Wanna see him bust a move…..

• BitterC says:

Rosey as much as admitted he never read the FISA, after all it’s a warrant & was sworn to by FBI agents to be true under very serious penalties of law 🙂

• donna kovacevic says:

I just ordered the book by Lee Smith, and Triggered by Don Trump Jr. look forward to reading both.

• MelH says:

Lee Smith would have written a winner had he not felt forced to avoid naming so many of his sources .

• Krashman Von Stinkputin says:

The only source I’m interested in is the one(s) that provided him the “proto-dossiers” that were floating around before the ones with Steeles name on it.

But I can understand why that source would not want to be named at this time.
          He can be more helpful to others by not being destroyed by enemies.
          Bob Mueller himself testified: “Others in the department are looking into that.”

Why hasn’t Admiral Rogers blown the whistle publicly on all he knows?
          Three years and he has said nothing….to us, that is.

4. Zy says:

Nobody can say that these text messages aren’t extremely valuable. Well except Petie and the Lovely Paramour Lisa.

5. tageweb says:

Complicit: 1000% Do not forget the illegal spying on Sharyl Attikisson years earlier. A slimy deep-state scum for years.

• Blind no Longer says:

100% part of the coup!!! He’s up to his eyeballs in Uranium One, and connected to every Swamp creature this side of the Mississippi! He’s a corrupt POS!

If he released anything helpful to President Trump, it was because he was trying to save his own crooked ass!

6. vikingmom says:

Can we have a third option – “willful doofus”? Rod was put into the position he was because he was easy to control and wouldn’t ask questions. Only when it became obvious that the info was going to be made public, one way or another, did he decide that he better release it. He was definitely trying to protect himself which could mean that he will do so again if given an opportunity to choose between himself and those who were above him. Let’s hope that Durham/Barr give him that choice soon – and that he chooses to start spilling his guts!

• Angel Martin says:

I’ll advance another option. The whole idea of an internal civil war was bogus from the beginning.

I think everything that suggested “internal white hats” can be re-interpreted as bureaucratic score settling or inter-departmental power plays that are not motivated by any anti-Deep State cleanup.

So, the Strzok / Page texts leaked by RR, I think that was his brushback pitch against someone who had something to hide with unredacted texts, that RR wanted to influence.

Also, the Collyer 702 FBI contractors legal opinion. That opinion was unredacted enough to get the attention of whoever would be damaged by full disclosure, but opaque enough that the Swamp media could safely ignore. Probably a Coats vs unknown, that had nothing to do with executing any trusty Plan.

7. albertus magnus says:

How is that trusted plan working out for ya?

• Tall Texan says:

Ooh, I know! Trustier than ever!

• GenEarly says:

Tic Toc sure hope the plan unfolds into Indictments before the clock rusts and is tossed in the garbage in resigned frustration. Tic Toc is also the legal strategy of Hilarity Clintoon letting the legal statutes expire. Tic Toc waits on no one.

• According to Wikipedia:

“Rosenstein joined the law firm King & Spalding’s D.C. Office as a partner on the “Special Matters and Government Investigations” team in January 2020″

I wonder if that firm is entwined with the Lawfare group?

• G. Alistar says:

I wonder IF King and Spaulding, D.C. is rather entwined with Durham’s investigative group?

• If by “entwined with” you mean “colluding to keep Deep State Coup Plotters out of prison” then, sure, I suppose that’s possible.

• G. Alistar says:

You used the word “entwined” first, what did you mean?” Regarding Rosenstein, I really don’t know all the details but we are missing some really large pieces of the puzzle regarding how all this corruption has become public. RR flipping, for whatever reason, is the only course of action that seems reasonable.

• I don’t believe Rosenstein has acted in President Trump’s favor at any stage of the game.

IMO, He is as deeply involved in covering up for his co-conspirators as he was involved in the actual coup. IOW: I do not believe he has “flipped” in any sense of the word, and that any actions undertaken by him (such as release of Strzok/Page texts) were done with OTHER motives.

• Redzone says:

King & Spalding is Wray’s old firm. From the internet about K&S and Wray:

The most troubling issue that Wray may face is the fact that his law firm — King & Spalding — represents Rosneft and Gazprom, two of Russia’s largest state-controlled oil companies.

Rosneft was prominently mentioned in the now infamous 35-page dossier prepared by former British MI6 agent Christopher Steele. The dossier claims that the CEO of Rosneft, Igor Sechin, offered candidate Donald Trump, through Trump’s campaign advisor Carter Page, a 19% stake in the company in exchange for lifting U.S. sanctions on Russia. The dossier claims that the offer was made in July while Page was in Moscow.

The law firm’s representation of Gazprom raises even more serious conflict issues for Wray. Gazprom was a partner in RosUkrEnergo AG (“RUE”), which is controlled by Ukrainian oligarch Dmitry Firtash. He is under federal indictment in Chicago for racketeering charges, has had numerous financial dealings with former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort, and is generally considered to be a member of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s inner circle.

Though there is no indication that Wray personally worked on any of the Rosneft or Gazprom legal matters handled by his law firm, he might well have an ethical and legal conflict of interest that would prevent him from any involvement of the FBI’s Russian probe.

8. Pale rider says:

I just remember his testimony before congress. It sticks in my mind like strzok’s.
    But, we march forward and everyone finds a seat when the music stops.

9. samwise163 says:

I always go back to what Sundance and Bongino have references as the “civil war” that breaks out in summer of ‘17 when PapaD is set-up with the 10k. I wonder if this discovery is around that time (July 28th-31st) and how that plays into the DOJ/FBI “civil war” that starts (e.g. someone in FBI pushing this information out for expose along with Senator Johnson and company). Really would like others (and Sundance’s) take or assessment of this. It’s like this was Rosenstein’s warning shot that this will eventually come out. Don’t care if he is incompetent or corrupt, Rosenstein chose his side long time ago (spit!).

• Angel Martin says:

“It’s like this was Rosenstein’s warning shot that this will eventually come out.”

But it hasn’t all come out. We really haven’t learned learned anything since then (except that Rosenstein and Wray are total Swamp Men with their response to the initial OIG).

It is still all classified / redacted. All that has come out since the initial Strzok Page texts is confirmation of what we already knew or guessed.

10. sarasotosfan says:

There are too many instances in question to view RR as a white hat.

I hope to God he did something prosecutable and that it happens.

11. Carrie says:

Doesn’t Catherine Herridge have more of them? Now that she is with CBS will that preclude her from ever releasing them?
    So sick of all of this- really wish someone would release a full declassification bomb.

• hoghead says:

Yes Carrie! And a bomb is what declassification is/will be.

POTUS KNOWS all of the crap these people have been part of; whole sections of it totally unknown to the rest of us. He has had to stand by and listen to the demon party and bitter clingers in his own party, as they huff about all the bad stuff HE has done. He knows the truth.

Mister President, sir, please make it “Bombs Away”. That is the ONE thing that will clear the game table, if anything can.

• Bird Watcher says:

Even if the declass documents are released tomorrow, the media won’t report it, and any conservatives who do will be ignored. There has been so much drama in the last 3 years that the people who need to read and understand these documents are too burned out on politics to make the effort. The only things that will wake people up are indictments, IMHO, of course.

• GenEarly says:

“Someone” currently indisposed by impeachment trial, and then the democRats will come up with something else…….
      “Someone” had better be listening to the Tic For.

12. samwise163 says:

And just like Sundance said, keep in mind they had this info and still held it until Flynn pled guilty to a manufactured process crime. Makes me sick. Kick them in the a&@, Sidney! Kick them long and kick them hard. I’m worked up tonight.

13. CNN_sucks says:

So, I guess when Flynn plead guilty it Rosey think it was safe to release all incriminating evidence. This thing stink to high heaven. General Flyn was set up. The case against Flynn should be dismiss.

14. Clown #3 says:

it always seemed to me that the entire page/strok thing was a steak for the junkyard dog… you know, keep people occupied type of thing….. the drama of it all, perfect for tabloids… and the whole overblown strok testimony with his histrionics and facial expressions…. perfect for the pictures… like an actor playing a role… i know… i know…. nutzo

15. jx says:

He’s a conniving rat

16. Lawton says:

Rosenstein is as crooked as they come. He knew it would get out so he released with many unnecessary redactions to hide many things.

17. Streak 264 says:

His excuse is lame. It would be far better to release a few at a time. A lot of people have short memory so if you got one or two one week and then got a few more in a couple of weeks people would not see the context of them.

• MelH says:

We got the Releases a few at a time. Seems to me there were 4 or 5 releases and we have no reason to believe we have seen them ALL!

18. Countrywatch says:

See drawandstrike twitter thread on Rosenstein. Worth reading the lead in before he gets to Rosenstein and Mueller.

19. GenEarly says:

Save a Patriot
    Mikeflynndefensefund.org
    Sidney Powell and others are working for minimal legal pay

20. Elle says:

heheh FISA warrants work both ways. Such a wealth of information touching Carter Page. Is it just me, or since the USMC approval does it seems we are getting key pieces to the puzzle confirmed? Between this and Sidney noting that there is a witness for the Flynn 302 and other stuff being revealed through court hearings that operated outside of the Huber, Horowitz etc. investigations, my thought is that Rosie sings a good soprano. RICO suave baby. RICO suave

21. chojun says:

Can anyone overlay FISC judge Contreras’ recusal on Sundance’s timeline above?

We still don’t know why he recused or if he was forced to do so and by whom.

22. GTOGUY says:

For those that don’t recall, Rosenstein was part of the initial White Water SC team just before Ken Starr was appointed to lead the investigation. He’s been around for a really long time and I doubt he didn’t know what a Woods File was.

23. Zorro says:

With everything else being covered up for months and years WHY were the texts released? WHO were the driving forces?

24. FISA JUDGE ROSEMARY COLLYER’S ORDER: DESTROY SURVEILLANCE DATA COLLECTED ON AND BEFORE MARCH 17, 2017, DATE “THE HAMMER” CIA/FBI WIRETAP ON TRUMP WAS EXPOSED AND SAME DAY SCHIFF HELD MEETING ON TRUMP WIRETAP CLAIM

• Carrie says:

Too little too late. You can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube!

• FTA:

“Judge Collyer’s order to delete domestic surveillance data constitutes destruction of evidence of a crime and is a violation of the Federal Records Act”

That’s what I was thinking, too. Was Collyer trying to oversee destruction of a database that threatened US Citizens, or was she ordering the destruction of evidence to coverup crimes committed by collecting that info? (Or maybe hiding crimes of “protected po!iticians” -Bidens- that were documented BY that database?)

• MelH says:

Where has this been that it is surfacing now? Montgomery turned over to Comey all those hard drives and a zillion papers as well, that prove Clapper and Brennan are at the root of Spy Gate, and Comey is complicit. that link above is the first I’ve seen about it since really early on, like just before Comey was fired. Collyer was for destroying proof? Then why did she write that piece that Sundance posted and wrote an article about, a long time ago? Odd this is surfacing right now.

25. Sammy Hains says:

Rosenstein reauthorized the FISA to allow the Deep State to continue spying on the President and his family for political dirt. Then he released the texts because key text messages had already been leaked.

This is the key point: Key text messages had already been leaked.

Once the reauthorization was rushed through, Team Mueller had their access and the previous corrupt mission that got them there could be jettisoned. Each stage of their scheme only needed to be operational long enough to launch the next stage, like a rocket. Once the next stage has been triggered, the one that got it there is jettisoned just before it comes crashing down.

26. Robert Smith says:

So the IG was prompted by concerns of bias, read all the text messages and concluded there wasn’t really bias at all or that there was bias but it was only personal and didn’t affect their personal performance in the Coup?

• freepetta says:

Ridiculous right? Was all unbelievably bias.

• GenEarly says:

democRat bias is Good, Deep State prevails, DC Swamp continues, and the Empire collapses in piles of garbage spreading from Kalyforeignia.
        Huber retires having completed his “investigation” to save Hilarity Clintoon.
        Yet some continue to have hope of fairness and Justice from the Swamp Controlled Feral Gov. but hope is the last candle in the wind.
        I’m still here and still hoping because We must Win. There is no retreat or surrender possible from this point in time. Live Free or Die was an earlier motto. It takes that mindset to survive.

• freepetta says:

I hear you Gen. Everything you said is right on target. It makes me sad, we keep hoping for one of these investigations to put some fear into these deep state traitors, but these investigators are covering for their friends or themselves.
          You wrote exactly how we all feel. It’s all very sad.

27. Bogeyfree says:

Simple Question……

If you were in charge of investigating the biggest coup in this country’s history which has now mushroomed into an impeachment trial of the President and you had full authority to declassify and READ/LISTEN to EVERY unredacted text, email and phone communication collected by the NSA of key government officials, whose actions may have created unanswered questions, would you not have already done that by now??

Wouldn’t the truth or most of it, be in these communications??

In fairness maybe this has been done and the information found points to nothing or it is being compiled for possible upcoming indictments but am I right in asking and assuming that these communications should be totally known to those investigating this by now?

I would love to ask Sidney, if you were the AG and had this full authority over documents would you have already declassified and unredacted and read, not necessary made public yet all of these communications by now?

I’d even take a simple yes or no if you happen to read this.

• G. Alistar says:

No, if the legal work was incomplete or the timing was not right. Yes, if everything was prepared and good to go legally. Accountability is important.

• Dutchman says:

Bogeyfree;
      Access to the classified info? Yes

Access to any communication on their Gov’t issued computer or cell phones? Yes.

Access to the NSA database? NO.

My understanding of the NSA database is access is SUPPOSED to only be for Terrorism or counter-espionage investigations, NOT soft coups.

So, any evidence obtained by using the NS database would be tainted, forbidden fruit.

• GenEarly says:

No, not if the info was of such magnitude as to threaten the very existence of the Feral Gov and it’s denizens……..and it is, going back to the beginning of the modern Deep State.
      Some 75 years ago.
      Maybe it started with good intentions, but it sure has become a road to hell.

• GenEarly says:

Disclosure will never be permitted to happen. Some tid bits here and there for the beggars, but nothing of substance. Technology is released on a 20 to 30 year delayed timeline. For example, Space Force or the NSA. Remember No Such Agency when it was just being peeked at? Space Force would cause turmoil and mental dissonance if fully disclosed now.

28. Elle says:

Remember that spoof of Trump catching Rosenstein and …ahem…sitting on him? When was that made? I tried but can’t find it. If that came out right after he signed the FISA warrant, well, wouldn’t that be interesting?

29. fractionalexponent says:

Search “rot rodentstink” on duckduckgo.
    Guess who’s name comes. Even the search engines know who the DC rodent is. heehee.

30. Zorro says:

#NutSuckLisa

31. Iwasthere says:

Wilting dupe. Terms of art.

32. freepetta says:

Herridge sold her soul.

33. freepetta says:

Rosenstink’s wife is a Clinton affiliated attorney.

34. ATheoK says:

“Former Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein Admits to Authorizing Release of Lisa Page and Peter Strzok Text Messages”

Nope! II don’t buy the admission.
    It’s not in Rosenstein’s character to take blame.

I suspect that Rosenstein is protecting a third party.
    Rosenstein might have ordered the third person to release the texts, though.

I didn’t see much in the released texts that exposed a lurid relationship.
    • a) The texts were released to rebuke Page and Strzok and others who were exposing their hatreds in texts and emails.

• b) The texts, minus lurid texts, were released to convince Strzok’s and Page’s spouses that nothing was really happening in love or sex…

• c) I can not visualize Rosenstein reading and sorting a few texts out of thousands. That is boring grindingly difficult work. Something that Rosenstein would assign to a subservient employee.

Rosenstein’s accepting the blame protects that third party and the FBI/NSA/CIA and leaves the third party in place and uncompromised.
    In Rosenstein’s mind, he is doing his duty as a dirty cop to get his nefarious achievements completed.

• G. Alistar says:

Who then might have released or sorted the texts? Importantly, why? Someone very powerful, very in the know with access and a need to know.

• BitterC says:

If you had read even just the portion of Rosey’s statement Sundance posted, you’d see that the texts had been reviewed, redacted & selected for release to Congress

35. fractionalexponent says:

Satan: “Ok Rosenstein, meet your bunkmate, Strzok.”

36. Genie says:

Page 19 (25): “Indeed, there is an obvious, more plausible explanation for how the media became aware of Plaintiff’s texts and reported on them on December 2, 2017: the Department disclosed their existence and their general content on November 30, 2017 to defense counsel as potentially exculpatory information in a criminal prosecution arising out of the Special Counsel’s investigation.
    See United States v. Flynn.”

So, Flynn’s attorneys learned of them on 11/30 and the press hears about it immediately from whom? Likely Flynn’s attorneys, not DOJ. Congress gets the whiff and starts asking about them. Rosenstein fears Congress will get and leak them eventually anyway, so he goes ahead and calls the prees to come in on 12/12 to feed the texts to the press.

I’d say Flynn’s lawyers loosened the lid on Pandora’s jar. Rosenstein had to open it before it exploded on him.

37. Cathy M. says:

Srozok & L.Page are ignorant and/or arrogant asses.

Over a decade ago( 2007 or ’08?) main DOJ sent out a memo to all federal law enforcement agencies to be mindful of their email communications with AUSAs concerning open investigations (i.e. don’t refer to a suspect as a “dirt bag”, the judge is an ass, etc.) as all of these e-mails could be discoverable material.

A year or so later main DOJ sent out another memo cautioning LEOs not to use their personal cameras & cell phones to photograph evidence, etc & to be mindful of remarks made on social medias as any thing on those devices might become discoverable material.

These memos were usually sent out soon after DOJ just lost a case due to the above.

As the old LEO adage goes: “If it ain’t on paper it didn’t happen.”
    (Originally meaning you did not include in your report that you advised a suspect of his Miranda rights or upon arriving on the seen of a murder they observed that the suspect was covered in blood leaning over a dead person, etc)

• Dutchman says:

Something about human nature, and electronic communications. Seen too many stories of people sending ‘innapprpriate texts, emails, etc. and getting fired for it.
      Using cell phones DOES cause brain damage; makes you think you can do things which are humanly impossible, like drive safely while talking on a cell phone, or text lurid photos to your co workers, with the bosses face photoshopped in, and have no repercussions.

As for a WARNING, LOL.
      For months, Californa had been warning drivers of the new law soon to go into effect, outlawing cell phone use while driving.
      The day it goes into effect, a CHP sees a car on the freeway, going a little slow, weaving within its lane. Sure enough, he can see the driver is talking on his cell.
      “YOU, on the cell phone! Pull over!” He says on his Loudspeaker.

14 cars pull over, nearly causing a massive wreck.

38. All Too Much says:

Huffpo doesn’t think much of the House case presented in its 111 page filing, calling it political.
    Huffpro. Who’d a thought it.

“The House’s 111-page brief pulls together the private and public testimony of a dozen witnesses ― ambassadors and national security officials at high levels of government ― who raised concerns about the president’s actions with Ukraine. Stripped of legalese and structured in plain English, the document underscored the extent to which the impeachment proceedings are a political rather than conventional legal process. The Trump team similarly offered a taste of the rhetoric expected to be deployed by the president’s defenders in the Senate.”

39. Sammy Hains says:

OK. HERE IS THE FULL STORY:

Devin Nunes and his committee had uncovered the text messages.
    Rosenstein leaked some of them to the press to get out in front of the story and shape the narrative before Republicans could, in order to PROTECT Strzok, Page, and the corrupt FBI small group… and most importantly, the Mueller expedition.

Think about it… Mueller would have been shutdown if the story had been this was his investigators (which they were) rather than merely FBI agents working on Hillary’s emails, which is how it was framed when the story first broke. We only learned later that they were also at the heart of Crossfire Hurricane and the Mueller team.

“The Department’s Office of Public Affairs … recommended providing the text messages to the media because otherwise, some congressional members and staff were expected to release them intermittently before, during and after the hearing, exacerbating the adverse publicity for Mr. Strzok, Ms. Page and the Department,” Rosenstein wrote.

• G. Alistar says:

“ Think about it… Mueller would have been shutdown if the story had been this was his investigators (which they were) rather than merely FBI agents working on Hillary’s emails”. This line of logic makes no sense to me. At the time, Mueller was baiting POTUS to obstruct, most of the US Senate controlled by the GOP was publicly saying you better not fire Mueller. No way Mueller gets shut down for a few texts back then. Something else was going on. IMHO

• Sammy Hains says:

We see exactly what was going on. Rosenstein was shielding the agents, the department, and the special counsel’s office.

It doesn’t get simpler or more distasteful than that.

It’s not Trump that would have shut Mueller down. It’s the Senate GOP.
        At the time, the narrative that had been constructed by Rosenstein was Mueller was impeccable and he was leading a team of unbiased professionals who were just going to check a few things out and it would all be over in a few months.

Rosenstein had to keep the wool pulled down long enough to get the operation to the next phase.

40. MelH says:

The left is really skewering Rosenstein right now, over him releasing the letters. They say he was their hero but now it is clear he was being Trump’s puppet. They are sure Rosie was the one who stopped the Mueller probe and suddenly turned traitor by NOT accusing Trump of collusion with Russia that “everyone knows happened”. Barr too is a puppet of Trump and is working hard to cover-up all of Trump’s corruption. The lovers who wrote the e-mail have both sued Rosenstein and the DOJ for violating their privacy. The above link is interesting reading if you follow to all the places it goes.

41. Bill Still says:

Rosenstein is just following his buddies in their succession of apologies over the past week directly preceding their impending indictments in order to prepare the pre-sentencing defense of regret.

42. MD says:

The only comment I have is “he was either a complete doofus, or complicit and willfully blind. I digress.” change “or” to AND, also “was either” to “IS”.

43. Beau Geste says:

PDJT can’t release records without extensive delay and thorough review by all 17 “intelligence” agencies, but rosenstein can? wtf?

44. snowshooze says:

Rosy was going to testify, and he was going to plead ignorance.
    Play dumb.
    But then he discovered at the last minute, they had him on that.
    And they were waiting for him to try it.
    He didn’t have much choice.

45. TXCrunchyCon says:

The release of the lovers emails was to divert attention from others, possibly Pientka. Scape goats.

46. seasidemommy says:

I still have just one question, with the Speaker of the House publicly saying ” we have been working on impeachment for over 2 1/2 years” how is that not an active coup to try and overthrow the legally elected President of the USA and why is no one asking this question?