Tuesday September 17th – Open Thread

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

113 Responses to Tuesday September 17th – Open Thread

1. Garrison Hall says:

2. Deplorable_Infidel says:

That Precious Deposit

The story is told of how a wealthy man and his son loved to collect rare works of art. They had everything in their collection, from Picasso to Raphael. They would often sit together and admire the great works of art. When the Vietnam conflict broke out, the son went to war. He was very courageous and died in battle while rescuing another soldier. The father was notified and grieved deeply for his only son. About a month later, just before Christmas, there was a knock at the door. A young man stood at the door with a large package in his hands. He said, “Sir, you don’t know me, but I am the soldier for whom your son gave his life. He saved many lives that day, and he was carrying me to safety when a bullet struck him in the heart and he died instantly. He often talked about you, and your love for art.”

The young man held out his package. “I know this isn’t very much, I’m not really a great artist, but I think your son would have wanted you to have this.” The father opened the package. It was a portrait of his son, painted by the young man. He stared in awe at the way the soldier had captured the personality of his son in the painting. The father was so drawn to the eyes that his own eyes welled up with tears. He thanked the young man and offered to pay him for the picture. “Oh, no sir, I could never repay what your son did for me. It’s a gift.” The father hung the portrait over his mantle. Every time visitors came to his home he took them to see the portrait of his son before he showed them any of the great works of art he had collected.

The man died a few months later. Shortly thereafter, there was to be a great auction of his paintings. Many influential people gathered, excited over seeing the great paintings and having the opportunity to purchase one for their collection. On the platform sat the painting of the son. The auctioneer pounded his gavel. “We will start the bidding with this picture of the son. Who will bid for this picture?” There was silence. Then a voice in the back of the room shouted, “We want to see the famous paintings. Skip this one.” But the auctioneer persisted. “Will someone bid for this painting? Who will start the bidding? $100, $200?” Another voice shouted angrily. “We didn’t come to see this painting. We came to see the Van Goghs, the Rembrandts. Get on with the real bids!” But still the auctioneer continued. “The son! The son! Who’ll take the son?”

Finally, a voice came from the very back of the room. It was the longtime gardener of the man and his son. “I’ll give $10 for the painting.” Being a poor man, it was all he could afford. “We have $10, who will bid $20?” “Give it to him for $10. Let’s see the masters.” The crowd was becoming angry. They didn’t want the picture of the son. They wanted the more worthy investments for their collections. The auctioneer pounded the gavel. “Going once, going twice, SOLD for $10!” A man sitting on the second row shouted, “Now let’s get on with the collection.”

The auctioneer laid down his gavel. “I’m sorry, the auction is over.” “What about the paintings?” “I am sorry. When I was called to conduct this auction, I was told of a secret stipulation in the will. I was not allowed to reveal that stipulation until this time. Only the painting of the son would be auctioned. Whoever bought that painting would inherit the entire estate, including the paintings. The man who took the son gets every thing!”

God gave His Son 2000 years ago to die on a cruel Cross. Much like the auctioneer, His message today is, “The Son, the Son, who’ll take the Son?” Because, you see, whoever takes the Son inherits everything!
    (Author unknown.)

EARTHEN VESSELS
    “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us” (II Cor. 4:7).

In biblical times earthen vessels were clay pots that had been thoroughly baked in an oven. They were fraught with imperfections, which meant that no two were exactly alike. Archeologists have discovered that those who lived during that period secretly buried their treasures in clay pots for safekeeping. As we shall see, the master illustrator uses this facet of everyday life to illustrate a grand spiritual truth.

Those who have taken the Son are heirs, joint-heirs with Him. As members of the Body of Christ, we are partakers of His glory, His power, and His reign. In short, we are the recipients of the wealth of heaven! While the believing Gentiles will partake of the blessings of the kingdom, they are not said to be heirs. In the kingdom, heirship is a question of nationality. In the present dispensation of Grace, heirship is based upon relationship. We are one in Him. Therefore, what rightfully belongs to Him, we have come into possession of, and will share it mutually with Him for eternity (Rom. 8:17 cf. Eph. 3:6).

Today when men want to safeguard their riches they place them in vaults made of steel and concrete. But God’s ways are not man’s ways. God has deposited the riches of His grace in earthen vessels. We need not wait until we arrive in heaven to learn what we presently possess in Christ. We have this treasure, that is, the gospel of the grace of God in earthen vessels. Those who have been saved by grace are blessed with all spiritual blessings in the heavenlies. But what we positionally enjoy in Christ must become a practical reality in the Christian experience if we ever hope to maintain a godly testimony among men. For example, we are forgiven in Christ, but grace teaches us that we are to forgive others even as Christ has forgiven us.

In the year 1818, Tamatoe, King of Huahine, one of the South Sea Islands, believed the gospel. He discovered a plot among his fellow natives to seize him and other converts and burn them to death. However, he organized a band to attack the plotters and captured them unawares. Having exposed the plot, he forgave them, and set a feast before his would-be captors. This unexpected kindness amazed the savages, who burned their idols and became Christians. (Paul Lee Tan, Signs of the Times, Encyclopedia of 7700 Illustrations, Assurance Publishers, Rockville, MD, 1979.)

But why would God place these unspeakable riches in such an unsecure place? We are unworthy sinners, weak and frail, who have the sentence of death within us. Perhaps the hymn-writer, Robert Robinson, has expressed it best, “Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love.” The answer to the question is found in the latter part of our passage. “That the excellency [exceeding greatness] of the power may be of God, and not of us.” While others usually think more highly of us than they should, essentially it is the power of God working through us that produces results in the Lord’s work.

Many years ago I was invited to minister the gospel at a Bible camp in the Rocky Mountains. On the last evening, I spoke on “The Danger of Falling Into the Hands of An Angry God.” Earlier that day I hadn’t been feeling well, due to altitude sickness. In addition to being exhausted that night, I was short of breath. At ten thousand feet it doesn’t take much to get winded. I now understand why it took Moses so long to return from Mount Sinai with the tablets of stone. He undoubtedly had to keep stopping on his way down to catch his breath! As I arose to speak that evening I thought to myself, this is going to be an absolute disaster. It was, or at least I thought it was, until I learned two months later that an entire family was saved that night. Brethren, the gospel is the “power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth” (Rom 1:16).

At the Judgment Seat of Christ no one will be able to boast regarding what he or she has accomplished, for the power is solely of God and not of us. “He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.” In the final analysis, God will receive all the glory and honor and praise and adoration for the great things He has done. We are merely vessels through whom God has poured out the riches of His grace to a lost and dying world.

What is your attitude toward the Mystery? When the final chapter of your life is written and the book is closed, will you be able to say with the Apostle Paul, “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith”? May you have no regrets at that day!

By Pastor Paul M. Sadler

3. Lucille says:

Just because they are beautiful scenes…no notations where the photos were taken (they all enlarge)…HAVE AN EQUALLY BEAUTIFUL DAY, TREEPERS…

4. Troublemaker10 says:

5. Troublemaker10 says:

6. The “lock down” adjustable Mechanism, on a U-Haul hitch..
    Just……..
    Malfunctioned, No Rhyme nor reason, it just DID..

I was going about 30 MPH, on a down graAs I set here with a few minutes of Puter time…
    ALL I can say…

CHIT happens…

And the good LORD, GOD was watching out for ALL Involved

I been towing Boats, trailering, working on Trailers etc, recovery the better part of 30 years..
    safely
    Today…

de, going over a lil bridge, On Market street…
    The Trailer was unloaded..

We crossed the bridge, and the trailer, (A U-haul box trailer 5 X 8′ ) just *un-loaded* is all I can think of..

It JUMPED… Speed limit is 35 mph..

Next thing the Misses said.. OMG! It’s LOOSE!
    I heard a racket, the Safety chains came undone (despite them being secure per instructions),, I had’em “crossed” to prevent this.. I mean coming undone, ALL Safety precautions followed!

Next thing I realize, I look in the rear view mirror the trailer took a life of it’s own..
    I went Left,, then right..
    Then left & right again…..
    Looked like cars behind me were avoiding a Wreck in a Nascar race…
    It decided,, then to hit the sidewalk,, burying itself, (the hitch),, deep into the roots of a Live Oak..
    Stopping itself..

Thank GOD NO ONE was hurt & Nothing Damaged to other Folks!

I turned around recover from a heart attack..

Police WATCHED this happen! yet kept on going by..

THANK the Lord for 2 young MARINES whom stopped to give assistance!
    Reattaching the trailer, and following Me home at 10 MPH..
    The LOCKING mechanism on the hitch failed..
    ALL I can say is this..
    Thank the LORD no one was hurt..

As they say….
    WHEN it’s your time …
    CHIT HAPPENS when you least expect it..

• TreeClimber says:

Glad you’re okay!

• czarowniczy says:

For decades I hauled everything from water buffalos to the M114 howitzer behind 5 tons and never had a malfunction. Twice post-retirement I’ve had hitch-ball separations on my trailers while hauling equipment – really makes one appreciate those safety chains.

I also replaced the chains that came with the trailers using ones that were far stronger. I don’t relish the thought of seeing my trailer with a tractor on it sailing off in a new direction from that of my truck. We trailer haulers eventually share that “OH SH*T!” moment when the lockdown don’t lock down.

7. citizen817 says:

8. nwtex says:

• nwtex says:

Alot of interesting comments on the above cnn tweet.

Ava Myjak@avamrogerscom
      Replying to @CNN

BS These chemtrails have glass particles with edges covered with aluminum. This gives the rainbow effect in sunshine! Educate yourselves pls.
      —————-
      MBServicesSLX
      Replying to @CNN
      When governments refuse to admit that they have given up the skies for the climate engineering operation they increase suspicion. The chemtrails exist.
      Explain the helical steles, sons of bitches!
      Those who make humanity sick to obtain a profit must be judged in the Hague court

• czarowniczy says:

**** the Hague Court. Obama already gave Interpol diplomatic status giving them immunity from US law when operating here. We’ve had some interesting conversations in the LEA field about our being ordered to assist Interpol in serving World Court warrants to US citizens on US soil.

Yeah, the atmosphere stuff’s interesting but that Hague thing just picked at an old sore.

• mopar2016 says:

The rainbow effect of refracted light.
      Just like a prism.

9. nwtex says:

10. nwtex says:

Yee-Haw!

11. nwtex says:

“Say what?

12. nwtex says:

Giddy-up! Go git ’em Cowboy ❤

13. nwtex says:

🤞

Product type Candy
    Owner Necco
    Country Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Introduced 1847
    Discontinued 2018 (Possibly returning in November 2019)

…on September 21, 2018, it was confirmed that Spangler had acquired Necco from a private party, retaining its line of Necco Wafers, Sweethearts, and Canada Mints, while unloading or discontinuing Necco’s other brands. Production of Necco Wafers will resume in 2019, while Sweethearts will relaunch prior to Valentine’s Day 2020.

14. citizen817 says:

15. Pointman says:

That’s why I married him …

Pointman

16. citizen817 says:

17. nwtex says:

My daughter paid the ultimate sacrifice because of those Democratic policies and I’ve been hurt by the Democrats more than anybody in this country – and I hold them responsible,’ Pollack said.

He says that the shooting was allowed to take place because authorities failed to arrest Cruz in the months and years before the massacre.

To me, gun control would’ve been if they arrested him for punching his mother’s teeth out and he got a background,’ Pollack said.

Pollack believes that proposals for gun control, including stricter background checks, would not have prevented the Parkland shooting…

Instead of banning guns, he urged the public to focus on ‘underlying causes for these shootings.’

• Bob says:

Finally, the light switched on…..the mass shootings are contrived by the Left, research the back stories of the shooters….all very impressionable and easy to manipulate.

• czarowniczy says:

However, their move now is to go for ‘obstruction’, a very fuzzy and subjective charge they can build out of whole cloth. If they can’t find an impeachable crime they’ll manufacture one.

18. citizen817 says:

19. Dora says:

Autumn in the Bois de Boulogne – Berthe Morisot, 1884

20. old white guy says:

MAGA
    Trump 2020
    Deport ALL illegals 2021

21. just stevie says:

WHAT’S THE GOOD OF TEMPTATION?

“There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man.” 1 Cor. x. 13

The word “temptation” has come down in the world; we are apt to use it wrongly. Temptation is not sin, it is the thing we are bound to meet if we are men. Not to be tempted would be to be beneath contempt. Many of us, however, suffer from temptations from which we have no business to suffer, simply because we have refused to let God lift us to a higher plane where we would face temptations of another order.

A man’s disposition on the inside, i.e., what he possesses in his personality, determines what he is tempted by on the outside. The temptation fits the nature of the one tempted, and reveals the possibilities of the nature. Every man has the setting of his own temptation, and the temptation will come along the line of the ruling disposition.

Temptation is a suggested short cut to the realization of the highest at which I am – not towards what I understand as evil, but towards what I understand as good. Temptation is something that completely baffles me for a while, I do not know whether the thing is right or wrong. Temptation yielded to is lust deified, and is a proof that it was timidity that prevented the sin before.

Temptation is not something we may escape, it is essential to the full-orbed life of a man. Beware lest you think you are tempted as no one else is tempted; what you go through is the common inheritance of the race, not something no one ever went through before. God does not save us from temptations; He succors us in the midst of them (Heb. ii. 18).

Oswald Chambers
    September 17th Devotional

22. Dora says:

23. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.”
    Romans 12:14 (KJV)

24. Dora says:

I wonder who won.

25. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

26. jx says:

27. Sentient says:

• Sentient says:

I assume that she violated federal immigration law, and probably, by extension, MN state law regarding her legal status as a candidate. The odds of this being looked at here in MN are zero. Remember that our Attorney General is … Keith Ellison.

The FBI / DOJ need to get on this. Her brother-husband reportedly lives in London. It should be trivially easy to follow him for long enough to get a DNA sample from a cup or straw. Same with Ilhan. Let’s get on it, Mr. Barr !!!!

• czarowniczy says:

Incest is forbidden in Islam though if you have a dull afternoon, a bottle of Pepto and some rubber boots you can go to a number of Islamic sites that interpret sharia and have a great read their marriage/’relations’ law.

28. jx says:

Paraphrasing from today’s Glenn Beck radio show…

The latest accusation against Kavanaugh comes from Democrat attorney Max Stier. During the Whitewater investigation Stier defended President Bill Clinton and Kavanaugh worked for Independent Counsel Ken Starr.

Does anyone believe that if Kavanaugh engaged in the sexual misconduct that Stier now accuses him of, that Stier wouldn’t have mentioned it then while defending his client from charges of sexual misconduct?

What are the consequences for an attorney who makes false accusations?

29. An says:

There’s a civil lawsuit against Snowden, they’re going after the money from his new book, but do not seek to stop its publication.

30. czarowniczy says:

Something that’s been running around in my conspiracy-tinged mind is: could Obama, regardless of how small. have a finger in what’s going on with Iran/Yemen?

We know that a number of his previous cabal/staff still are having active contacts with the principal players in Iran. The nuke deal giving Iran the edge was his baby and he’s pissed it’s in the gutter, he hates Trump, hasn’t seemed to ever seen a Moslem tuchus he wasn’t keen to lay lip upon and still sees himself as a major Nobel Prize winning international player.

I find it too convenient that he goes back into the communications closet just before Iran starts ramping up its attacks on its old enemies, the US, the Saudis and the UAE. Iran’s using proxies in its attacks and Obama’s using proxies in his contacts with the mullahs, Islamic terrorists all.

Are we to believe that Obama doesn’t have contacts still in the Beltway intel agencies, the Bureau ans especially State? The same groups that seem to be involved in a coup that also seems to have Barry’s prints on it aren’t filling in him and his proxies before they have these ongoing meetings? I refuse to believe that he isn’t aware of what’s going on though I won’t go as far as to say these attacks have his approval as a wedge…I’ll leave that to others.

I’d like to see an investigation into if Obama’s conducted or interfered with US foreign policy without official approval – then again there are a lot of investigations into his actions we’d like to see that will never happen.

31. czarowniczy says:

Here’s one you won’t see on the MSM/PBS, a renewable and locally sourced use for pollution: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190903084035.htm

32. czarowniczy says:

Here’s one you won’t see on MSM/PBS, a use for greenhouse gasses, a locally sourced and renewable product resulting: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190903084035.htm

33. SwampRatTerrier says:

What do you think?
    Do you think people should be allowed to carry guns in public?
    MSNBC POLL still active now!

• czarowniczy says:

I live ion a rural area in Mississippi, right close to Louisiana. Both states passed laws that allowed concealed and open carry, open carry was free while CCW ran about $100ish.

For a while you’d see people in stores carrying openly but after a few months things tapered off and now you very rarely see an open carry, the novelty is off.

Mississippi is now a Constitutional Carry state and you can carry concealed without a permi the issue seemed to be more of the paying the $100+ and not the need to show off their piece. I’m sure at least as many are packing, just not openly now they can carry concealed.

From a personal point I agree with open carry as if I’m in a situation with a bad guy the thug’s attention is going to be drawn to the open gunslinger giving me a chance to draw and get to cover.

34. An says:

@Sundance Is this story related to the China deals? I don’t fully understand it, but when I see a story about demand for dollars and they’re confused about why, I think Trump.

35. Ad rem says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUSCITIZENMOM!!! (Sorry…..#39 has already been taken…by me. 😀 )

36. My final message, as I’ll be “off-line” until I pick-up a new ISP.. (To the Misses delight).. 😉
    Last few things to move.. Love everyone! GOD BLESS!

37. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

38. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.