DOE Issues Statement on Energy Star Thermostat Report….

The needle on the CTH winnamometer momentarily pegs ‘too much‘…

[Backstory Here] After quite widespread discussion on the Energy Star Thermostat Report, and the ridiculous recommendations to set thermostat to 82° when sleeping, the U.S. Department of Energy (Secretary Rick Perry) issued the following statement:

…”It is the position of DOE that Americans should set their thermostats to whatever temperature they choose.”..  (link)

(source link)

Victory!

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, Donald Trump, energy, Environmentalism, EPA, Glo-Bull Warming, President Trump, Rick Perry, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

220 Responses to DOE Issues Statement on Energy Star Thermostat Report….

1. pucecatt says:

Lol 😂 this is great material tonight .. thanks Sundance

2. zorrorides says:

Way to go, Texas Joe!

3. JoeMeek says:

The temperature in the FBI building should be set at 182 degrees.

4. BWAAAAHahahahahahahhaa!

5. Tiffthis says:

Lmao! EPA just got told.

6. Patience says:

Freedom

7. 17CatsInTN says:

Huzzah! As I sit here in hot and humid TN and listen to my whole house AC kick on at 74° whilst enjoying the breeze from my ceiling fan set at high, I rejoice. I don’t have to worry about taking out ANYONE who thinks a 66 yo woman who has been dealing with hot flashes and night sweats on a daily basis for 25+ years will just go quietly onto that gentle night of high temps. Ha!

• Alleycats says:

I feel ya 17Cats!
      Sleep at 82 degrees my a**…

• rmhnc says:

17Cats, Liked

• GGHD says:

17CatsInTN, also cites the Humidity, where she lives in Tennessee. Most of the Eastern half of the USA has elevated humidity levels during the summertime. … There’s a relationship between >Humidity Levels and High Temperatures, for human comfort. +Living in a ‘steam bath’ environment is unhealthy for some people, too. = For healthy home temperatures, Air Conditioning is considered a medical necessity by some government programs.
      ******************************************************
      Many government bureaucrats need to be examined for their job qualifications. = Are the bureaucrats educated for their government jobs? Or are the government bureaucrats embedded by the ‘Deep State’ ~> to make Americans suffer, for just living here in the USA.

• Who the heck can sleep with an 82 degrees temperature? I woke up hot twice overnight with my thermostat set at 67 & the ceiling fan running directly over our bed! There would be NO sleeping at all at 82! None!

Energy Star BS has ruined dishwashers which no longer clean & dry dishes, washing machines that no longer clean clothes & dryers that take hours to dry laundry. The cycles for all are over double the time these appliances used to take, back when they actually did their jobs well!

The government needs to get the hell out of lives! Good grief!

• Kaco says:

Tell me about it! Years ago, I should have had my old KitchenAid from the mid 90’s repaired instead of buying that blasted Whirlpool Duet front loader! I haven’t had clean clothes since. I’ve gotten some plastic bean bags to hopefully add extra water for the “sensors” that someone here suggested. I had to switch deodorant because I started getting yellow pits in my white shirts that don’t come out after buying the Duet. It doesn’t wash out anything, you have to pre-treat every little thing. I always run on extra rinse. I’m waiting for it to break down so I can replace it with a Speed Queen or something that works. The Duet cost about a $1000 at the time. I’m planning on taking my parents old washing machine when we get read to sell their house.

The dishwasher is a nightmare, too. Always run it on the highest, power wash, and I still have to rewash some plates. And we pre-rinse, too. Yes, we’ve tried not pre-rinsing, that is worse. It’s not just the dishwasher, it’s the soap, too. Certain surfactants being removed because of our waterways. I had to go on eBay years ago to order powder chemicals in hopes to get my clothes/dishes clean. And my parents old dishwasher gets everything clean.

Had a real hard time finding a bathroom faucet that would give any kind of water pressure.
        Same goes for shower faucets, otherwise, you can’t rinse your hair out in a timely manner (drip, drip).

The replaced downstairs toilet needs the handle held down in flushing, lest we need to get out the plunger next flush.

Sick and tired of California legislation running the rest of the country.

Sorry, had to rant.

• 1stgoblyn says:

Maybe it isn’t your Whirlpool Duet but rather your detergent or maybe even your water? I love my Whirlpool Duet and my clothes comes out looking and smelling great. I only use Tide, Downy and for whites every once in a while, Clorox.

• Kaco says:

Early on, I tried everything, went on the Garden Web at the time, a lot of clothes washing enthusiasts there, they had theirs down to to a science. Came across a blog, “Dueling with the old duet” that my husband said he was NOT going to implement his solution, making a whole new motherboard for it basically or something. I got ours in either ’02 or ’03, maybe they’ve improved because of complaints. Bottom line, like everyone say, you need WATER and these little sprinkles don’t do anything to wash stuff out. I use All Free and Clear mostly and sometimes All Free and Clear with Whiteners. My boys have had exzema, can’t use the fragrances.

• Ordinaryman says:

Your faucets and shower-head have restriction washers in them that can be easily removed by removing the head and use an ice pick to remove washer.

• Kaco says:

A lot of the newer faucets are overall designed to be restrictive on the flow rate The first ones had that washer that could be removed like the shower head my parents had replaced in their main bath that had that washer we ripped the heck out.

• Thank You Kaco!

Next time my wife starts in about new appliances I’m going to have her read your most excellent rant.

I’m a wrench by bent and trade and I just keep repairing what works.
          Don’t care if it’s digital this or blinky lights that.

Sure a heck not buying anything internet connected. (for my benefit of course)

• Kaco says:

There’s a lot of other things I have gotten vintage over new, ending up purchasing on eBay. Things are made so darn cheap now or poor quality, out of China.

Yeah, the newer stuff may look better, but it doesn’t do as good of a job. I might swap my dishwasher with my parents old one, too, although theirs doesn’t look as nice. At least it gets the dishes clean, despite the detergent issues.

It’s all California, and manufacturers won’t make some things for one state and another kind for another. So know, when California passes another restriction, etc., that goes for all of us because the companies then have to follow suit.

• MfM says:

We had to get a new shower head. It’s flow was terrible. My son took it down played with his pocket knife and pried a few pieces out. Amazing it works fine now. He just beat someone else to it, because it wouldn’t have lasted without changes.

• Kaco says:

Maybe the shower heads are still easily rectified, but had a hard time replacing our bathroom sink faucet a couple years ago, they were overall designed to restrict their flow.

• TreeClimber says:

Waterpik actually makes an awesome “low-pressure” shower head. The shower head in the apartment when we moved in defied description so we went and got one… we love it.

• Tom H says:

Fortunately, I am good at fixing things and lots of old parts are available online, if you look hard enough. This has allowed me to keep my 30 yr. old Kenmore washer/dryer set going so I don’t have to but one of those crappy new ones. Same for my dishwasher, though I hardly ever use it.

• Dee Paul Deje says:

I think libs temperature recommendations are part of the war on women.

• gerkmonster says:

You would just have to wash your sheets every night if you set it to 82 so it wouldnt save a single bit of energy.

8. Darrell Michael Richardson says:

LMAO indeed I will

9. California Joe says:

My wife was hysterical at sleeping with the thermostat at 82°. Try 62° she said!

10. Patience says:

Liberty

• Orygun says:

Indeed! His last statement with the word “choose”. They are trying to take away our ability to make choices for ourselves. In other words Liberty or the ability to lead our own lives.

11. Just thumped that meter. Not tired of winning!

12. stats_guy says:

I love winning so much. Winning over the Eco-facists is really glorious…now can we have our light bulbs back. That would be Fred Upton’s bill…another (R-Uniparty) member and signed by Bush II

We’ve needed Trump for the last 25 years.

• kddomingue says:

Oh! I want my light bulbs back! Please, please, please let that be next!

• MfM says:

I bought a lifetime supply, if light bulbs, when they were in closeout. Being older that wasn’t hard, or expensive.

• JTR says:

1000bulbs.com has really cheap standard bulbs. They also have rough service bulbs and antique bulbs. We bought about 200 years ago, and still going strong!

• GB Bari says:

Actually I don’t want the old bulbs back in my house.

First of all CFL’s are horrendous and should be banned from the marketplace. The flicker and harsh color temperature give me, my wife, my sister, and her husband headaches.

But LEDs have been a blessing. The reduction in my electric bill amounts – due to the fact that I switched all light bulbs in my house and appliances to LEDs over the past three years – has been awesome.
        I was careful to buy low color temperature bulbs (2400K or 2700K) so that the light is soft and warm like incandescent. The lack of heat from the LED bulbs is great in the summer and the wattage reduction (from 60W to ~9W per bulb has really helped. Plus they seem to last longer than the old bulbs (I have yet to see one go out) and aren’t nearly as fragile (I’ve dropped them on the hard wood floor but the plastic sheath kept them from breaking).

No, I’m not going back to the old bulbs.

• I have found LED’s draw so little current they won’t work with the dimmers in my (7) ceiling fans. I buy the highest color temp I can buy because of my seasonal depression but I must leave at least one incandescent or the LED’s go bonkers when I turn dim them. Also cheap LED’s also flicker and that drives me nuts.

• Austin Holdout says:

Someone told me that there’s so much mercury in the curly “not so light” bulbs that if you break one, you should evacuate your house and have someone who handles hazardous waste come clean it up. Not sure if that’s true, but we bought a lifetime supply of regular bulbs when that law was passed. I thought I remembered reading that the Supremes found the regular light bulb ban law unconstitutional.

• boogywstew says:

An article in AAA mentioned that there was more mercury in a tunafish sandwich than a CFL bulb?

• chiefworm says:

Austin, I can’t let that slide un-answered. As a Safety Professional (geek), that was the established guideline from Professional Safety Morons. However, I wouldn’t put a bunch of CFLs in a paper bag, smash them and then huff the contents. Mercury vapors don’t “Do a body good”. It likes to bond to calcium. So it tends to stick around for a long time but can be eliminated. Boogy, sorry, wrong about the tuna. You are more likely to get higher concentrations of mercury from fish in lakes. Just my .02. I’ll step off my soapbox now.

• getfitnow says:

It is true and last I checked, at least in some places, you are billed for the disposal service.

• Pf1289 says:

If you look, there is an 800 number to call right on the package of the CFL’s (compact fluorescent lights) if you break one. It’s for hazardous waste. We had special crushers and sealed barrels to dispose of long tube fluorescents.

A friend with a newborn broke one and called me over because as a pipe fitter I had been trained in asbestos removal, etc. and HAZWOPER (hazardous waste training). We turned the lights off and lit the floor up with a flashlight and you could see little balls of mercury every where!

• Pf1289 says:

Oh, and I do like the LED lights. They’ve come way down in price, last a long time, and put out bright light. Especially if you buy one that says “daylight”.

• Ordinaryman says:

CFL bulbs have about one drop of mercury. The problem is when the bulb is broken in a child’s room and you grab the vacuum to clean up the shards of glass and in the process the vacuum vaporizes the drop of mercury into the air that the child breathes. This is not a good healthy thing.

13. Sporty says:

There isn’t a married male Treeper who would risk their life turning up the thermostat that high at night. Not a one.

• Deborah D says:

We turn our thermostat down at night (especially in the summer), otherwise it won’t click on often enough and I’m sitting in a miserable state! Yes, it’s a war against women like having to share a public ladies’ bathroom with a man in a dress! Can we please have some common sense back?

14. ZurichMike says:

Or like me live in a lovely home on the lake with a view to the Alps and not need air-conditioning, which we call “opening the windows” in Swiss-German. LOL!

Growing up in the US, we had a window fan in our house and one in the attic to pull the hot air out. Yes, we were warm sleeping in summer, but got used to it. Ironically, my parents got central air installed AFTER we kiddies had grown up and moved out. A source of endless ribbing at family gatherings.

I used to make fun of Europeans visiting the US who complained about the blasting cold air in hotels, office buildings, and stores. However, now that I have been in Europe almost 20 years, I have to say that I, too, am no longer a big fan of cold, swirling air — especially in hotels and restaurants. Far too cold. I usually switch the AC off in hotel rooms and remember to bring a light jacket when I go to the US in summer.

One annoying thing in Switzerland (and probably other European countries) is AC cooling tonnage is regulated. For new or retrofitted buildings, you are only allowed a certain cooling tonnage for the space, EVEN IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO INSTALL MORE. This may be OK for normal summers, but if you have a heat wave of a couple of weeks, you might as well open a sauna in those buildings. Argh!

• Alleycats says:

Nice to see you ZM.

• AustinPrisoner says:

Would love to hear more expat stories from ZurichMike.

• jackphatz says:

Have a hot flash or two and that artic air can not swirl fast enough!

• Dutchman says:

Thanks ZM,
      THIS is a perfect example of what OVER-REGULATION looks like. Stupid regulation that doesn’t take into account personal preference, resources or changing conditions, ..like weather and heat waves.

The EU us Conmunism, just Conmunism lite, for now. Another 10 years, and they would be just like CCP controlled China is, now. That was their plan, anyway.

But PDJT is going to break the EU, just like he is breaking China. Once they no longer have Other Peoples Money, to finance their Socialist nightmare,….
      What,will they DO?

• ZurichMike says:

Well, Switzerland is not a part of the EU, but the air-conditioning issue seems to transcend borders.

• Your Tour Guide says:

Whole house fans.

My old house was built in 1941. One
          level, cape cod roof. Surrounded by tall
          trees. Tons of shade. Central ceiling fan,
          9 foot ceilings.

Had central air, didn’t turn it on until
          July 12th one summer. When the ceiling
          fan kicked it, it would actually close 2 doors
          adjacent to the hallway. That’s how much
          air it moved. LOVED it.

Old tech, the best tech.

And, bring back gravity furnaces, while
          we’re at it.

• Ploni says:

If you find Midwest homes and public buildings built circa 1900, you’ll see they often have high ceilings and multiple, low, wide windows to catch and circulate air flow.

Then we had progress.

• GB Bari says:

…And transoms over top of interior doors to allow airflow in the summer. Every HVAC tech with whom I have spoken over the past 30 years has said that old homes with transoms and doors that clear the floor by an inch or so are by far the easiest to heat and cool evenly in the bedrooms when forced air is the method.

Modern homes without high ceilings and transoms and with doors that fit tightly on top of wall to wall carpeting are the most difficult as there is no “return” path for air to flow that’s coming out of heating/cooling outlet vents inside each room. Bedrooms with closed doors get little airflow as they present too much back pressure on the system.

• Dutchman says:

I tbink its the tendency to over-regulate that transends borders.

• The Tundra PA says:

Hey ZM! Good to see ya, both here and next door. I think you’d love it in Alaska, we have no air conditioning either. Just open windows and a couple of ceiling fans for the occasional warm night (warm = 60+ degrees). Let me know if you ever make it up to the Great Land!

• Pf1289 says:

Regulating the tonnage of AC is being ignorant of psychrometrics. I have a 2 year engineering degree in HVAC design. We learned to find any of 7 variables (relative humidity, dry bulb temp, grains of moisture, etc) given any 2 with the psychrometic chart. It’s a science. A lot of calculations and variables like degree days of your location, building materials, types of windows, shade, how many heat producing products, bodies (300 BTU/ body) etc go into the BTU load calculations. We used to do it by hand with manual J!

If you undersize a unit, it won’t be able to keep up with the load. That causes it to run constantly, waste energy, and not even do the job.

If you oversize a unit, it will short cycle because it can get the temperature down faster. The problem is, it doesn’t run long enough to remove the humidity and therefore people still aren’t comfortable. You have a lower temperature but still a high humidity.

• ZurichMike says:

Who said liberal governments understood science? LOL! My brother is in HVAC industry and went apoplectic when I told him about the regulations in Zurich!

• Kaco says:

Hey, Mike, it doesn’t get that humid in Europe, does it?

I don’t like freezing A/C either. We keep it at 76-78, depending on the humidity. And I have to take a light sweater to restaurants with the A/C cranked. Of course, this may change the older I get if and when hot flashes would start.

I grew up without A/C, and my parents didn’t install it until we were grown. The neighbor next door had a pool and I would sometimes have to sit in the basement on really hot and humid days.

I have heard Switzerland is a hard country to immigrate to, how did you manage?

• ZurichMike says:

No, not too humid in most parts. The southern Switzerland facing Itsly (near Como) can get muggy.

Yes, very difficult to immigrate here. I had a work permit, renewable yearly for 5 years, then got permanent residency, then needed to stay employed, out of trouble, and then take language and civics tests, and finally pass an interview with the local town committee which determined if you truly integrated into Swiss society. The latter is where many fail —no ethnic ghettos and dammit you should know how to recycle, vote, keep your yard tidy, and keep noise levels low, and be respectful of the privacy and peace and quiet of your neighbors.

• Orygun says:

It is really everything a good citizen and neighbor should be.
              Thanks for the info!

• Kaco says:

Yes, I agree with Orygun, a lot of work but they are making sure!

What made you want to stay permanently vs. the U.S.? I know it’s beautiful there.

We never made it to the Alps but did see the Rheinfalls in Schaffhausen and the Bodensee with the Island of Mainau. We were there in ’94 and ’00.

• ZurichMike says:

Why stay in paradise? I found the partner of my life. 🙂

• Kaco says:

Oh, yeah, that would seal it!

BTW, my husband and I fell in love over there during the ’94 trip (we were just friends and I joined him and his family on their vacation) and we got married the next year!

• 17CatsInTN says:

Trust me, hot flashes send you racing for the nearest walk in freezer. Stat.

15. Bill says:

It’s so nice when government thinks a little about the well being of people, rather than merely about how to manage people and resources as if the government owns both.

16. Joemama says:

Seriously, the employee that wrote up the 82F recommendation for sleeping needs to be disciplined by HR.

There are tons of hypothyroid people in the world that ALWAYS take control of office thermostats and set them to insanely high temperatures. The funny thing is that those people can always put on more clothing, but their solution is to usually to commandeer the thermostat, crank the heat and dress in light clothing. I have seen this many times in my working career over almost 50 years.

Normal people cannot remove clothing to keep cool, but the heat nazis crank the heat and jealously guard the thermostat, while wearing skimpy clothing.

Every perpetrator that I have seen has an under-active thyroid issue.

This problem might become more prevalent as millennials go vegan. Soy suppresses thyroid function.

• Your Tour Guide says:

Thought it was only raging hormones among older
      women of color. Stay out of enclosed spaces with
      3 of my female co workers, because they turn them
      into sweat lodges. Space heaters set to max. In July.
      In Atlanta,

17. MIKE says:

Thank you, Rick Perry, for not going all mike lee on us. Keep it up

18. GP says:

Reading Rick’s statement as DoE Director gave me nearly as much giddiness as the night DJT won. Oh, wait-one is a corollary of the other.

19. If you didn’t read the comments from the original article on this … you should. Hilarity ensued; very funny stuff.

20. dufrst says:

Rick Perry has always been one of my favorite republicans. Just oozes common sense and is a gentleman to boot! Ran Texas so damn well, he was elected 4 times! Had that one oops moment in the debate against Romney, but was clearly the better choice and did run against Trump, but was man enough to set his initial impressions and reservations of Trump aside to serve in the administration (unlike Jeb and others like Jindal). Now he has the US on the path to energy dominance!

21. MARK G RYAN says:

Household economics drives this issue, not the government. I constructed a 24 EER HAVC system (Patented) that allows me to keep my home at comfortable temperatures for fractions of what most people pay for home comfort. I did not go through that effort to have my temperature settings be dictated by bureaucrats. If those who are still running on inefficient HVAC systems do not want to upgrade to more efficient systems, then let them wallow in their burdensome power bills. But it is not our elected representatives to dictate how we spend our money.

• 1stgoblyn says:

“But it is not our elected representatives to dictate how we spend our money.”
      Tell that to Congress b/c they all seem to think that is why they are there.

22. Deplorable Canuck says:

and all the women in mid-life process breath a sigh of relief!

23. kddomingue says:

I grew up with my grandparents in Alabama. Our “AC” was open windows and an oscillating fan, lol! I have never become accustomed to the chill temperatures that most people keep their homes at nor how cold all public buildings seem to be. However, I realize that I’m the odd man out in this regard. I keep my home at 78 to 79 degrees in the warm months unless we have company in which case I’ll lower it to 76. When I go elsewhere I generally wear pants and bring a sweater or a light jacket.

24. AustinPrisoner says:

I don’t think this is off-topic…the guys and gals on here joke about menopause, a condition half the country will experience if they live long enough. It’s 2019 and there’s lots of stigma and embarrassment and medical ignorance surrounding menopause. Wouldn’t this be a terrific cause for FLOTUS Melania to champion? Menopause education and awareness has never been done before as a national platform by a FLOTUS and she could serve as a role model and help women. Melania could break a cultural barrier by having menopause awareness be one of her platforms.

25. calbear84 says:

This is Perry’s revenge for momentarily forgetting the third Federal Department he was going to cut!

26. jrapdx says:

BTW more than a few men will experience hot flashes when they’re undergoing certain treatments for prostate cancer, which is very common in men over 70. These side-effects are no picnic for men either, so there are men who empathize with what the women in their lives have gone through. Some might see it as poetic justice that it turns out thermostats can be equal opportunity tormentors, though far better that no one should have to suffer in such ways.

27. steviedawn says:

I cranked mine down, and then put on a sweater.

28. Rynn69 says:

Period!

29. scrap1ron says:

Energy Star can set their thermometer to drop dead.

30. Rick says:

Is the 2009 a typo?
    I keep my thermostat at 75 during the y, and 71 at night here in NC.
    The electric bill I just received was $101.
    I am not changing it.

31. oldschool says:

Now, if we can have such policies on ALL OTHER MATTERS including children’s education – it will be great…

32. The Boss says:

Surprised no one commented yet on the fact that the thermostat report is from 2009. Perry’s press release made one hell of an effort to make that known. Given it is a 2009 report, it is obvious that little man-boy Barry’s minions were flexing their collectivist muscles. I’d love for that little skinny puke or his beard Big Mike to tell my wife how to set the AC. Those guys wouldn’t know what happened.

• scrap1ron says:

Now that the “smart” thermostats” can be controlled by an app how far away are we from having our benevolent overlords from setting them for us? For our own good of course.

33. MfM says:

I don’t have AC, and 82 isn’t bad for sleeping, but it isn’t comfortable. In the 90’s is rough, but there are few nights that get that bad.

Just because I live without it doesn’t mean anyone should dictate for everyone.

34. Merkin Muffley says:

I’d like to make the entire Department of Energy sleep at 82 degrees during a hot, humid summer and see how they like it.

35. Cheese says:

I grew up in Pittsburgh. For the first fifty years of my life I didn’t have Ac. About ten nights a year 82 was cool . Set the temp at 60 at night in the winter,lots of blankets and three dogs was one less than we had.

36. Bulldog84 says:

How demoralizing for all of those hundreds of DOE and EPA bureaucrats who worked many hours over years at their usual suboptimal levels to produce those comical recommendations, to find out how useless they are.

Good.

37. TwoLaine says:

Now, if the gubt would like to do something right, how about they drop all the ridiculous subsidies we are footing the bill for on anything related to “green” energy.

IF the FREE MARKET hasn’t adopted the technology by now, it isn’t going to.

38. i'm just sayin'.. says:

Cool….

39. thehawkeyehoneypot says:

The d o e must be ran by a nasty horde of obama holdovers. I bet just like their hypocritical school lunch program this is for us & not for them. Leading by example sounds like a good way to start.

40. TheLastDemocrat says:

Here is an aside:

Our vehicles are less efficient, burning excess gas, for every bit they are under-pressured. Air dissolves through our rubber tires, and our tires keep proper air pressure for just a few days.

Many of us go long spans of time with tires well below recommended pressure – largely because we don’t know, and out of inconvenience of inflating the tires.

The inconvenience of inflating the tires…

If burning fossil fuels is so dramatically bad, why cannot we figure out a way to make air tire pumps much more accessible??!!?? I have to get the convenience store to change a two dollars into quarters, then pull that strong hose to all four tires, trying to beat the clock lest I have to drop more quarters in..if the air pump happens to be working!

Why cannot we just have free air pumps all over the place? A low tech, well known tech solution that would make things more convenient on everyday people, save us money, and drop fossil fuel consumption a few ticks.

• Orygun says:

My first job was a service station attendant. Pumped gas, checked oil, cleaned windshields and checked air in the tires. They managed to kill all that with Carter and his energy crisis. That was a useful and necessary benefit to having attendants standing around waiting for a pump to finish.

41. Broadsman says:

I always like Rick Perry and I’m glad he got a few moments in the spotlight on this issue.

42. sarasotosfan says:

Victory would be reading those associated with the study and approval process of this press release have been expunged from the federal bureaucracy and that this fraudulent program was shut down.

We owe them a debt of gratitude for exposing themselves and now it is up to the administration to take care of this.

43. covfefe999 says:

This would have been a better statement: The idiots who recommended these temperature settings have been fired and intelligent people have been hired to take those positions.

• covfefe999 says:

I don’t have a problem with the DOE informing people. They can simply state how much energy/money you can save for each degree cooler or warmer you set your thermostat. But the energy Nazis who wrote the recommendations can talk to my hand! I am a low energy consumer. I walk to work, barely ever drive. I have a modest home with few things plugged in, I even turn off my router when done using my computer. I’m sitting here right now using my computer in a dimly-lit room that could probably stand to have a light on but I’m going with the natural light, and the TV is off too. If there are going to be recommendations for how people should conserve energy, address them to the wasteful people, like the wealthy celebs and politicians who own multiple large homes with heated swimming pools and 5 bathrooms each fitted with multiple shower heads, who use private jets, who produce large amounts of garbage, etc. Because I, the modest middle class person who is not wasteful, am not going to be told or even asked to live like it’s 1900 or like I’m in a third world country. I worked hard to have the comforts that I have, screw these people who are telling me I should give them up,

44. itsy_bitsy says:

And you think the left doesn’t want to regulate every aspect of your life. Proof!

• covfefe999 says:

The Dem leaders want average citizens to live like paupers while they live like kings. I don’t see the Clintons cutting back, or the Obamas. If Hillary can stand 82 at night it’s probably because she’s so clot-filled she has no circulation any more.

45. Landslide says:

Go Rick! No chance that a Texan would agree to that crapola. Now, if you could bring back all of the items that we have enumerated here, we would be forever grateful! I buy my incandescent light bulbs at estate sales, but this 4 hr. 17 min. dishwasher (that rusted inside in the first few weeks) had to be purchased at a store. Make Appliances (& toilets)Great Again!!!!!!👍🏻🇺🇸👍🏻🇺🇸

• covfefe999 says:

I have a big stockpile of incandescent bulbs (GE Reveal, love them!) and might continue to add to it until the supply is gone.

• MfM says:

Ours has a ‘short’ not energy efficient short cycle of an hour.

The dishes don’t get clean on the longer energy efficient several hours long cycle, so it’s a no-brainer to use the short cycle. Likely because during the winter I keep the temp low in the house when we aren’t there!

46. Finbar O'Shaunnessey says:

If you want your thermostat set at 82 degrees, you can keep your thermostat set at 82 degrees.

47. covfefe999 says:

I was wondering why Rick Perry used “2009” twice in his statement. And then I realized he’s right, that’s when the report was issued with the ridiculous recommendations. https://www.energystar.gov/sites/default/files/asset/document/HeatingCoolingGuide%20FINAL_9-4-09_0.pdf I had found the direct link a few days ago but didn’t notice the date, “August 2009”, on the last page.

How did this get picked up as recent recommendations? Why didn’t any of the media reports point out that the recommendations were made by Barry Sotero’s crew? Was this done to embarrass Trump? Did some overeager Trump-hater think that the recommendations were put out by Trump’s DOE? If so, ooops! (insert sound of truck backing up) It reminds me of the expensive curtains in Nikki Haley’s NYC apartment while she was the UN ambassador. Propaganda media was quick to chastise her, even after it was revealed that Barry Sotero’s crew had placed the order, I guess somehow Haley was expected to cancel the order or something.

48. nuthinmuffin says:

I’m from the government and I’m here to help…
    from 2010

49. bob says:

you want to fix the problem? abolish the doe along with the epa and everything else that the Constitution does not allow the federal government to do. if they are allowed to remain it’s just a matter of time before another o-bo-mo is elected and forces this crap down our throats.