During an oval office press conference today, President Trump took several questions about China and the U.S. trade confrontation.  After receiving the third question, on the same subject, President Trump paused and then went deep into the heart of the issue.

The question was: ” Mr. President, you keep insisting that your trade war with China — the trade war with China is not affecting the U.S. economy. But a lot of economists disagree with that. And they worry that if China goes into a recession, they’ll pull us down with it.”

Here is President Trump’s response:

[Transcript] … PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well — well, okay. Let me — let me tell you something. Number one, we’re doing very well as an economy. But somebody had to take China on. You know, I read and I see so much and I read so much, and I’ll see these economists saying, “Oh, give up. Give up on China. Give up.”

China has been ripping this country off for 25 years — for longer than that. And it’s about time, whether it’s good for our country or bad for our country short term. Long term, it’s imperative that somebody does this because our country cannot continue to pay China $500 billion a year because stupid people are running it.

So I don’t mind this question.

Whether it’s good or bad, short term, is irrelevant.

We have to solve the problem with China because they’re taking out $500 billion a year-plus. And that doesn’t include intellectual property theft and other things. And also, national security.

So, I am doing this whether it’s good or bad for your — your statement about, “Oh, will we fall into a recession for two months?” Okay? The fact is, somebody had to take China on.

My life would be a lot easier if I didn’t take China on. But I like doing it because I have to do it. And we’re getting great results.

China has had the worst year they’ve had in 27 years. And a lot of people are saying the worst year they’ve had in 54 years. Okay? And frankly, I don’t want that to happen, but it does put us in a good negotiating position, doesn’t it? And China wants to make a deal, and that’s good. But they have to make a deal that’s fair to us. It can’t be a deal that’s not fair to us.

And you should be happy that I’m fighting this and I’m fighting this battle, because somebody had to do it. We couldn’t let this go — I don’t even think it’s sustainable to let go on what was happening.

They were stealing all of our intellectual property ideas. The theft was incredible. They call it “intellectual property theft.” And they value it at $300 billion a year. Who knows how they value it? I know how to value dollars; I don’t know how to value intellectual property theft. But they have experts that say it’s at least $300 billion a year, where they steal it.

Somebody had to do something with China.

Obama should have done it.

Bush should have done it.

Clinton should have done it.

They all should have done it. Nobody did it; I’m doing it.

So what do you say? “Oh, my trade deals are causing them.” My trade deals aren’t causing a problem. This is something that had to be done. The only difference is I’m doing it.

I could be sitting here right now with a stock market that would be up 10,000 points higher if I didn’t want to do it. But I think we have no choice but to do it. And a lot of people that really know, people that love our country, they’re saying, “Thank you very much for taking it on.” And we’re winning because they’re having the worst year they’ve had in decades. And it’s only going to get worse.

China has lost 2 million jobs in the last month and a half because they’re moving — the people, the companies are moving to non-tariffed countries. They’ve lost over 2 million jobs in a very short period of time. They’re going to lose a lot more jobs. And if I didn’t help certain companies — there are American companies like Apple — for a very short period of time, I may help them, only until they do what they have to do, which is probably move from China. Because this would be a very short term. If I didn’t help them, they would — I mean, they would be — they would have a big problem.

Here’s the thing: Somebody had to take on what China was doing to the United States economically. We’re winning big. I took it on. And it should have been done by previous Presidents, but I took it on. And I’m happy to do it because it had to be done. And the smart people say, “Thank you very much.” And the dumb people have no idea. And then you have the political people, and they go with the wind.

But they all know — even Senator Schumer said, “Wow, Trump is doing a great job with China.” I couldn’t believe that. But Schumer thinks I’m doing the right thing. And he’s doing the right thing by saying it because he knows that China was a big economic threat. And they were taking all of that money that they were making from us, and they were building planes and ships and lots of other things. And we can’t let that happen.

[Transcript Link]

This entry was posted in Big Government, China, Communist, Donald Trump, Economy, Hong Kong, media bias, President Trump, Trade Deal, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

215 Responses to President Trump Explains The Big Picture: “The fact is, somebody had to take China on”…

1. Scott says:

Straight, to the point. As it should be.

• Robert Smith says:

The straight, non-political talk that voters expect and appreciate from Trump.

This is an astounding explanation that no other national-level politician would every say let alone attempt a trade reset with China.

• Amen! And to go a step further, making a deal with China isn’t going to be easy, because no matter what they agree to, China has no intention of honoring the agreement. They’re going to cheat like crazy & continue to steal us blind …. unless ironclad enforcement mechanisms & effective penalties can be structured into it. Which I’m personally skeptical can even be done.

Plus, how does President Trump leave people in place who will bring the pressure on China after his term is up? In the past, we’ve had so many weak, stupid & corrupt government Trade & Commerce officials who turned blind eyes to China’s massive lawless behavior. And highly placed, powerful politicians who’ve compromised our economy for self enrichment, the corrupt bastards! They’re sellouts!

You know … America doesn’t need China, at all. Everything they offer & manufacture, we can do better or can be done better elsewhere. They cut corners & cheap Charlie everything. Nothing made in China has good quality.

I repeat, we don’t need China. So cut them off completely & let’s make deals with honest & fair trading partners from other foreign countries. Squeeze China out. They don’t deserve to be in the WTO. They are thieves & cheats & they make crappy products. After 25 years, we know beyond all doubt that China is not trustworthy & never will be.

2. sDee says:

“I like doing it because I have’t do it”

Music to my ears.

3. He’ll yeah! That’s OUR President! Even you socialists, racist not whites, whites who hate Trump, and even the Eskimos who are citizens (not sure how they may lean)… remember “our” is the proper term.

• WesternAK says:

The Eskimos I know are mostly dems and they love their free healthcare and welfare – and were mostly responsible for Murkowski’s win as a write-in repub. Not many Trump lovers in the bush…

• Boots says:

You mean the free welfare that’s turned the indigenous peoples into alcoholics and drug users? The free health care that treats those diseases? Talk about Stockholm Syndrome! Supporting and being subservient to the very race that tried to obliterate your people by sending your kids to white man’s schools where they weren’t allowed to speak their own language, had to cut their hair, wear white man’s clothes….and become white. Farley Mowat is turning over in his grave!

What a sad ending to a people who survived thousands of years without outside interference, who fed, clothed, and housed themselves with only what the land provided; getting vitamin C, E, A and more from muktuk, blubber, seal and whale meat and oil; clothes from skins that were remarkably effective, so much that Amundsen wore only skins, and had lots of babies and were generally a very, very happy people.

Watch the 1920s-1950s Eskimo films at the National Film Archives of Canada, some of which are on utube, and see these amazing people laugh, smile, live, and love each other in the land of the midnight sun.

What a disgrace and shame the Dems have done to those people. Those same Dems will keep the native Alaskans on welfare until Jesus returns. And when the time is right, the same Dems will push gun bans of bolt action rifles as “long range sniper rifles”. HCI tried that smear job in the 90s but no one fell for it then. But that was before Obama, Holder, Lynch, Brennan, Comey, and the rest of Satan’s agents were let loose to rage against the Lord here on earth.

• Daniel M. Camac says:

Boots, Amen to that! My favorite read is “My Life with the Eskimo” by Vilhjalmur Stefansson. He was an ethnologist who wrote this book covering his 1906-1907 expedition. Most people don’t have a clue how Eskimos lived nor do they understand the huge diversity among those that lived by the sea versus land. He was the first explorer to find the “Blond Eskimos” which i will leave as a crumb to others. Calling the native people of Alaska and Northern Canada “Eskimos” is an insult to their heritage. Yes, some are Eskimo but that doesn’t define the whole population.
          Thank you for bringing that to other’s attention.

Oh, what the Democrats did! Well, as you know they were just bringing the word of God
          to these poor ignorant people so they too could build “homes of wood” so they could freeze in them.

Guess that’s why the words demon and democrat mean the same thing now. That wasn’t how it used to be but like Dylan said, “but the times they are achanging”.

4. tonyE says:

No need for fancy words… just doing the right thing.

Lots of “help wanted” ads.

Now, please send the DOJ into Calimexistan to monitor our elections. This is worse than Alabama in the 50s. I want my California back.

• Please send the Marines into Calimexistan instead.

JK… sort of.

• need24give says:

California is truly a wonderful place, too bad what THEY did to it. Looking forward to taking my son there one day.

• delighteddeplorable says:

As a native from the land of fruits and nuts, I can say the political climate has changed dramatically, especially here in the OC. BUT! I believe there’s hope. Attending a meeting of OC Republicans next week and am optimistic. I believe there are 1,000s of lurking Trump supporters, quiet but deadly. 😎

• Carrie says:

I’ve got a friend who moved to Santa Monica and she’s normally a Dem, but I’m pretty sure I’ve got her to grudgingly accept that she has to vote Republican. I have mentioned the homelessness and drug problems oodles of times and that they can shoplift up to $900 a day and only get a citation in Santa Monica!!! All things she cannot ignore…

• Daniel M. Camac says:

Carrie, God Bless you for fighting at the frontline. I retired in 2012 and my beauette and I flew from Delaware to Laguna Beach where we stayed for a week in a lovely little cottage a block from the beach. We visited friends in San Diego, then drove up to Carmel and stayed for a few days then to San Fran to visit an old family friend. I always liked to stay just over the Bay bridge near Berkeley. Easy access to SF, the HIlls and points further north. To make a long story short, I loved that trip but would NEVER step foot in CA again until the Damnocrats and their illegal ilk are driven out of that beautiful state.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Eastern Shore, Outer Banks,etc. but CA was different terrain and to see it being destroyed by f’ing Illegals make me scream bloody murder.

Keep up the good fight cuz you know you have not only VSGPDJT at your back but also I’d estimate now at least 100 million voters who are fed up with the Russian BS, the Rascist BS and the Recession BS! #MAGA #KAG

• progpoker says:

We definitely lurk. Too many moonbats that think it’s their right to destroy the property of those they disagree with. Still Red in NorCal, for now.

• jameswlee2014 says:

Right there with you. Carlsbad, north coastal San Diego County. One of the last outposts of paradise. I want the invaders gone.

5. Parker Longbaugh says:

Best President in my life. Just shy of sixty. I lover Reagan but I allowed those who opposed him to diminish my support. He never lost my love.This man will never lose either.

6. arete55 says:

Fabulous commitment to the American People…

AMERICA FIRST

7. President Trump isn’t new to the globalist reality of China being the model state for the “new” world order. It has been for decades which is why “our” non-leaders have been allowing China to rip us off for decades leading up to krooked killery actually giving them full access to her criminal and treasonous servers.

Our ESG President has been paying extreme attention to the cabal for 40 years. We’re incredibly blessed that he has too. I’m not sure there has ever been a greater example of “the right man at the right time” because if killery had been placed in this position of power there would be blood already… flowing.

• mopar2016 says:

PDJT tells it like it is, always has.
      That’s the kind of straight talk that even China and Russia should understand.

• sDee says:

This has to be the most sophisticated propaganda campaign ever seen. Planned and laid out for decades. Traitors all. From Tricky Dick to SoS Clinton, and every Congress, every president, every major CEO in between . Creating the new “utiopia” of global fascism, on the backs of slave laborers and the wholesale theft of middle America’s wealth and our crucial intellectual property.

• KingBroly says:

And one man has shattered it to pieces. Or at least unplugged a helluva lot of people from the conditioning.

• PBR says:

Started in the 1920s when Progressives took over. DJT has been saying the same thing for 30 years. Unwavering. So proud of our President DJT.

• GB Bari says:

I wonder how many of us right here in CTH will admit that until Candidate-then-President Trump – or until we read Sundance @ CTH – we weren’t really fully aware of just how badly China, via the Globalists, had eroded our economy?

How many millions of Americans who, because of their habit of only getting “new” from the broadcast MSM networks or websites, haven’t yet fully heard/read Trump’s speeches or responses to these press questions and as such are still oblivious to the depth of collusion between the Globalists and China?

• Exfiltration of Wealth says:

I admit it. Finding the wisdom of Sundance before the last election was like a Saul on the road to Damascus level epiphany for me. Like many, I was attracted by the inciteful and well articulated political intrigue, but I keep coming back for the best economic analysis on the web.

• GB Bari says:

Great analogy. I didn’t discover CTH until the end of 2017 after I became tired of the anti Trump narrative nature of Fox and the lack of depth in most of the “clickbait” articles on Breitbart.

• Daniel M. Camac says:

GB-B, I’ll gladly admit I didn’t have a clue. I always thought JFK assassination was a hit job and that 9/11 was a total farce but the Congress critters sure had me fooled. Saying that, I like others was dealing with life such as my first wife of 18 years dying at 36 (breast cancer), raising 4 sons as a widower, then remarrying only to have second wife hang herself at 38 and then my second son who served with the 10th Mountain Div, 2nd 87th out of Fort Drum survived 3 tours but succumbed to opioids from the street.

Hey, we’ve all been there so you just suck it up and move on. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and I’m strong as hell at 62 ,ready to defend our country and our President for whatever it takes to bring Old Glory back.

President Trump is doing that along with the help of you, Sundance and so many others here. I miss some of the older posters though…and I’ve only been hanging on a branch since 10/2016. But I know they are still out there, fighting.

Peace through Strength!

• GP says:

@Daniel-wow, just wow. As Jordan Peterson has said “life IS suffering…but you bear it and by mighty efforts, try to transcend it.” You have done both-much respect

• Daniel M. Camac says:

GP, Thanks (sorry I got carried away reading GB-Bari’s post about how few Americans get the China-Globalists connection, hidden by the MSM)

That quote sure sums it up nicely.

My beauette tells me, “Take 10 people, put them in a room and go around, letting each one tell their life story. When the last one speaks, ask if anyone would like to swap their life with the other. Most people will be happy with the life they have.

• Rynn69 says:

SDee: In quiet moments, it is breathtaking. Thank God America is waking up. Sunlight has been poured on the decades long game these traitors have perpetrated on the American people to feather their own nests while selling out the country.

The good news is that there are good, moral, strong people stepping in to stop it. And they have the American army with them. PDJT and those assisting, including us, is righting this great ship.

All I can say SDee is THANK GOD HILLARY CLINTON LOST.

8. Got243kids says:

Super MAGA YEAH! My President!

9. Goldduggar says:

Love that man! OUR President.

10. DONALD FISHER says:

and it will all be reversed as soon as the Democrats control Congress

11. Paul B. says:

Bravo. What a relief to have a patriot in the WH. He’s good for the country, good for the world. Thank God for this blessing.

12. Stringy theory says:

Lordy, I love this man. Thank you Jesus for giving us the help we need to keep our country from total ruin.

13. dissonant1 says:

The most “transparent” President of my lifetime (for which I am greatly thankful). But PDJT does know what to reveal and when, and for what reason. BTW, are there any CTH perchers who would be interested in a Senatorial or House position from Greenland? Now would be about the time to make the move. 🙂

14. Maquis says:

😍

GBPDJT
    🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

15. Impossible says:

“And then you have the political people, and they go with the wind.”

Wow; the most succinct and factual observation on contemporary politics. (And with a delightful double meaning; they are “without chests” and soulless (body no spirit); and the wind will take them and they will be dust.)

16. dc6aircraft says:

Fan 33…please refer to Eskimos as ALASKANS cuz they’re are more than just Eskimos in Alaska.

17. slowcobra says:

Best line: “and the dumb people have no idea.”
    And he’s right in saying that the smart people are thanking him. I agree with everything he said! This should’ve been done decades ago. Too bad for china!

18. Greg1 says:

“And the smart people say, “Thank you very much.” And the dumb people have no idea. And then you have the political people, and they go with the wind.”

Aaaaaaaaaand THAT is part of the reason the political people hate President Trump so much…………..he tells the TRUTH!

I literally thank God for letting Donald Trump win in 2016, and I pray that God lets him win in 2020. Somebody has to turn around the mess that liberals have created………..and the way the have turned from God is self evident.

May God bless America with Donald Trump winning in 2020.

• Daniel M. Camac says:

Greg1, I also pray everyday for President Trump, Melania, Barron and all his family to be kept safe from the evils of this world, as well as his excellent Cabinet members. I’ve added Bill Barr, John Durham and HUber and their families to the list as well. I was raised as a
      Wesleyan Methodist (you curse, dance, smoke, don’t pray- you go to Hell) to no real religious following for many years and finally to Gnostic teachings. The main theme was a Higher Power, some entity that symbolized GOODNESS.

As you eluded to, our VSGPDJT is goodness. I don’t idolize him but I support almost every policy he has put forth and despite all the evilness and negativity against him I believe he will win in 2020……if we have a fair election. In the earthly realm there’s always a caveat.

• nimrodman says:

“The other reason the political people hate President Trump so much is because he is a businessman who GETS THINGS DONE! He doesn’t just talk about it for years on end.”

Yep

When he was knocking over diplomatic “traditions” and “protocols” a while back, all the State Department “diplomats” and “experts” and “pinkie-in-the-air-tea-sippers” were b*tching and moaning.

And that reaction was best captured satirically by an expression on the order of:

“They’re just upset that he’s not doing it like it’s always been done … unsucessfully, for 40 years or more, now”

19. cindylou62 says:

“And the dumb people have no idea”

It makes me really sad that our POTUS even has to explain this to the uneducated masses in this country.

20. Quite literally for decades – maybe since World War II ended – this country has foolishly done everything in its power to advance the interests of every country other than itself … and has done so at its own expense.

As a simple example, Apple spend millions of dollars to create a state-of-the-art manufacturing plant for its state-of-the-art products … in China! Not in California. Not anywhere in the United States of America. And there are literally thousands of examples just like this.

Lots of people call Donald Trump a genius (and, of course, he is …), but so much of what he’s doing is anchored in the penultimate Common Sense: “if your own government isn’t looking out for ‘your country, first,’ nobody else on Planet Earth ever will.” (And: if your own government isn’t looking out for ‘your country, first,’ why the hell not?)

I’ve compared “globalism” to a poker game where every player is looking out for every other player, but not himself. Everybody at that table ought to be wearing a scowl because nobody’s winning. And, everybody’s stuck in a position where they’re vulnerable to anything that might “go wrong” anywhere else in the world and are not in a position to do something meaningful about it directly. It’s un-sustainable and it’s stupid. It’s always been stupid. Trump’s the first President with enough business experience to finally confront it.

If every nation on Earth, when they went into any international negotiating room, clearly understood that “every nation in this room is fighting for ‘My nation, first!’,” we’d be living in a very different world right now. Because we wouldn’t have made so many stupid [non-]deals.

• dissonant1 says:

You are absolutely right, if patriotism and national self-interest were the dominating factors, without multi-national money being thrown into the equation. To my mind, patriotism ought to be the dominating factor!

• Raptors2020 says:

The Left believes fervently that by making the USA poorer and weaker, they are making a better world, in the name of equality and social justice. This was a core belief of Obama. Progressive taxation boosts the illusion that only rich Americans are paying for this.

• desperatelyseekingmelania says:

I always say that the only honest and moral way a person can vote is to vote his own self interest, for to do otherwise pretends to play God over the interests of others.

I believe the same principle ought to apply to international relations

• margarite1 says:

Of course the idea of cheaper products made overseas would eventually gut our treasury, raise our taxes to make up the difference and destroy the economy and standard of living. All for a cheap big screen TV from Walmart. etc.

Some people made megabucks from this.

21. A2 says:

More proof this is not a trade war.

Much bigger and broader.

What I noticed is that the President acknowledged the downside. There are associated risks and they will be managed. Short or long term. Because it is the right thing to do.

加油!

👍👏👍👏

22. goddessoftheclassroom (@goddesofthecl1) says:

Remember the scene in “Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark” when a ninja dude brandishes swords, but then Indy just draws a gun and shoots fun?

That’s our president.

23. Impossible says:

“And then you have the political people, and they go with the wind.”

A most succinct and accurate description of contemporary politicians. And charged with a ‘delightful’ double-meaning. Not only men ‘without chests’ and soulless, ignorant poll-chasers; but also to “go with the wind” into dust and nothingness….

• No one has ever been a more clear demonstration of the fact that, if you are going to be “the Chief Executive Officer of the United States Government,” you have to have business qualifications. Mere politicians need not apply. Given that you are constantly going to be “in meeting rooms, negotiating on behalf of the nation,” as a very fundamental part of your job, you have to actually know how!

(It helps considerably if you wrote books with titles like The Art of the Deal …)

Donald Trump changed the game. The Presidency will never again be the same. (Thank God.)

• Impossible says:

Mike / a thousand times true / I’ve always looked at the Constitution as a kind of business contract / precisely why lesser politicians despise it / it’s crafted to be fair, not exploited. We are deluged by exploiters….

24. StanH says:

What a President. USA all the way.

25. sarasotosfan says:

Unless he addresses this directly to the people, no one will tell the people.

• rayvandune says:

And that means on national TV. The Twitter platform can be throttled by the media to prevent it interacting with anyone not on Twitter – and that is a lot of people, including me! If I was t on CTH and a few other websites, how would I have seen this message from Trump. You think the NYT is gonna publish the transcript tomorrow?

• rayvandune says:

26. lumoc1 says:

President Trump explains it because he understood that: If you’re born stupid . . . it lasts a long time. 🙂 🙂

27. The msm is SO wrong about SO MANY things…..

This is another example where they trip over themselves running to criticize our PDJT without knowing what the hell they are talking about. I love it when explains stuff (he knows) they don’t understand , they get a glazed look on their face.

We’ve BEEN IN A TRADE WAR FOR 30 years, we are just now, thanks to him, starting to do our part of the war which is FIGHT BACK……..

OY

28. Devil in the Blue Drapes says:

Finally, straight forward push back in plain “Engrish” even the commies can understand.

Every time I hear a pencil neck “self-assigned economist” complain about tariffs “I’m a freedom loving free trader”, I just about blow a gasket.

The next logical question no one ever asks them, “what do you propose, war”?

• joebkonobi says:

Yep, would be interesting to know how much “free trade” has cost for the last 40 years. Talk about shock factor! PDJT and a balanced budget amendment are the only hopes to save the Republic.

• desperatelyseekingmelania says:

Never ceases to amaze me how many bald faced liars like to pretend that something called free trade existed before PDJT came along. They really do think we are dumber than dirt and they can tell us any old thing if they only look and sound serious and professional while they do it.

• Maquis says:

Ask ’em what “Freedom” their “Free Trade” has purchased. China’s genocidal repression makes the Soviet Union look good and their colonialism is busy compromising the freedom of many peoples worldwide. Possible only via their cheap mercenary mercantilism and purchased predator Polititians.

• yucki says:

Worse than maxing out your credit card, you’ll be worrying about your SOCIAL CREDIT score. Wrong-think and you’re gulag-bound.

29. Nixon started this shizznet. He was all one hung lo on making a deal with the “largest market in the world”. I call bullbleep on that!!! Tricky Dick was a globalist pure and simple. This BS gutting of America’s producing class was codified by the Statists from long ago. It’s about time We The People grab our pitch forks and torches and have a burning man event.

• Maquis says:

It started there, no doubt, a very bad move.

• He killed the gold standard and announced for the first time the phrase “new world order” from China both in a very short span of time…

I was still in short pants at that time, but when I heard the evil ghw bush regurgitate it from OUR Oval Office I finally knew we were in deep sh!t with our political puppets.

30. A2 says:

Seems the PRC is lending a helping hand/ 🤣🤣🤣🤣

“China’s belt and road cargo to Europe under scrutiny as operator admits to moving empty containers
    China Railway admits the existence of the problem in an interview with the state-run Global Times but insists it has improved recently
    Cities and provinces were looking to benefit from subsidies offered by both the local and national government as part of Xi Jinping’s plan to boost global trade”

Worth a read:

• sundance says:

I read that earlier. The scale of the Beijing subsidies was/is STUNNING.

$7,500 per container from Beijing, and $3,000 from locals? Good grief. Send 10 empty containers on the railroad no-one uses and you get $105,000? What a great scam opportunity. No wonder everyone was doing it.

That’s over a million bucks for a hundred empty containers. Cha-Ching!!

31. RobInPA says:

PDJT could have gone for the jugular, and ripped it clean out, of the uniparty politicians that have sold out the USA to China for their own profit, greed and political gain.

Perhaps that will happen? I hope so.

32. Bogeyfree says:

I wish PT would say……

Where is it written that everyday hard working Americans MUST pay for the rest of the world??

Where is that written?

Why should Americans be obligated to write China a $500 Billion dollar check every year? Why is that acceptable to every democrat and media outlet?

Isn’t it time our money, your money stays here in the US and we fix up our infrastructure and help with our immigration issues and help our Inner Cities?

Why is it bad in the media and the Democrats eyes for America’s money to stay here in America?

Answer me that. Next question!

• American Heritage says:

Our politicians have been selling us out to the Globalist cabal for decades. They’ve colluded in exfiltrating our wealth and selling us into oligarch feudalist slavery. In recent years, the Obama-Clinton puppet regime became increasingly arrogant and drunk with the accumulated power and wealth they stole from us. Most recently it was like a fire sale with Russia openly getting our uranium for a few hundred million to Bill for a speech, and Obama shipping billions to Iran on the sly. China could have pretty much anything it wanted for the right payola to our corrupt politicians.

33. ghrei says:

greatest. president. ever.

34. Scott says:

I think this interview will serve notice to Xi that Trump isn’t going to back down. He knows it “might” hurt us a few month’s, but he is going through with it.
    I also like the comment about Schumer.

35. dufrst says:

Loud and proud! The only question is when do we decouple from China, not if. For the sake of his election, Trump may defer the decoupling until after the election to achieve a Dow of over 30K. Decoupling to me is putting the 25% tariffs on everything. At that point, there’s really no point in going forward with a deal. If China is so stubborn that it would permit Trump to levy tariffs on all goods out of China, then they would have proven that they are not worthy partners. It will be time for the US to look to other nations such as Brazil, India, and Indonesia (ASEAN) for the cheap goods and labor we were getting from China.

The reason why our multinational corps (MNCs) like to deal in China is because of the corruption. You can get away with deals in China that you couldn’t in democratic nations like Brazil and India, simply because of the scrutiny that’s inherent in democracies versus authoritarian regimes. In China, you are only accountable to Xi, whereas in democracies you deal with the press, the investigative services, legislative bodies, regulatory bodies, etc.

This whole enterprise as Trump says should have been dealt with long ago. It should have been recognized some time during the Bush and Obama years that the strategy of giving trade advantage to China was not leading to a new opening of China, but instead it was feeding a beast that was growing large enough to devour us! The courage of Donald J. Trump to stand up to this beast in the face of opposition from those ostensibly on his side, is going to be told for many generations!

China is counting on the 2020 election to stay strong in the negotiations and dare Trump to levy the 10% and then the 25% tariffs. They bet that Trump will not dare do so for risk of jeopardizing his electoral chances. In some respects, China is willing to see Trump levy the 25%, if it precipitates a stock market crash in the US that leads to a recession. They believe that a recession would be short term pain for the long term gain of seeing Joe Biden or Elizabeth Warren assume the presidency from their perspective.

I believe that the American people will recognize what the stakes are and I think that Wall Street may have a recession, but Main Street will see rising strength, as the jobs return and the other nations that are benefiting from the decoupling of US-China trade purchase more of our goods, less they face the same fate as China.

Whatever Trump decides to do, I am behind him 100! It’s either a good deal or no deal. I am increasingly hoping for no deal that will pop China’s bubble and hopefully end that communist regime in the process.

• neal s says:

I don’t think we are likely to have a real recession even with worst possible tariffs levied. If main street is sufficiently decoupled from wall street, then even if stocks go down due to multi-national corporations disappointments, the real economy (main street) will continue just fine. Wall street is basically intangibles, while main street is tangibles. Wall street sells sizzle, while main street sells steak. You can keep that sizzle while I enjoy that steak.

The mostly swamp media can scream the sky is falling, but eventually folks will catch on that like the dire warnings of climate change that have yet to be fulfilled after deadline after deadline has passed and the disasters never came, that lies about economy are just that. LIes.

36. geoffcsaltine says:

When P. Trump makes a statement or states facts like this that usually means something is going to break loose. Watch Apple.
    Could be wrong but as the man says, we shall see.
    China has to blink they have no choice.

37. ChampagneReady says:

A half hour of questions yesterday and a half hour today. Those piranna reporters will never see another president in their lifetime that makes himself available to the press like President Trump.

He just wears them down until they can’t think of any more questions. It’s just amazing.

• GB Bari says:

There are dozens of substantive questions about important topics the press COULD ask of the President, but IMO they are unable to think intelligently outside of their one or two “narratives of the day.”

• Greg1 says:

You could not possibly have written that any more perfectly. I completely agree with you.

Obama dodged the press like crazy………….and they were on his side!

38. AvengerDave says:

This could be over is we citizens just do #ChristmaswithoutChina

39. Rex says:

tes·ti·cles
    /ˈtestək(ə)lz/
    – See Donald Trump

40. Landslide says:

And his accent that comes through is so endearing—so “regular guy-ish”!! “Somebody hadda do it. I hadda do it.” 😀👍🏻🇺🇸

41. ristvan says:

Two big PDJT messages in this little segment.
    1. I play the long game. Short term, who cares? Solve the problem permanently.
    2. I am doing what should have been done long before by presidents of both parties.
    Subtext: Uniparty v Trumplicans.

2020 election is setting up nicely.

42. The Boss says:

Anyone else got that honey badger attitude about China these days?

43. Mr BiG Time says:

Thank you, President Trump!

Even the Liberals thank you, They just don’t know it yet 😉

44. Phflipper says:

Here is the thing about our President, he goes beyond willing, he stands in the gap for the USA. He just said it. I get it! I’ve done it, I’ve taken the heat for saying NO MORE! Am I special? NO. Yet, I’ve stood while being mocked, laughed even as none were willing to stand with me …> and I would do it again because it is the right thing to do.

45. Nom de Blog says:

I’d like to see an accounting of all the bribery China has on its books. Those $500bn per year weren’t allocated for legitimate purposes.

46. 335blues says:

The long term view is the ONLY view to take.
    Communist china is working toward worldwide communism.
    That is their goal. They are using the money they steal from America
    to amass military stockpiles. And you know what for?
    To confront America militarily. They’re not hiding it. They have been very open with their plan
    to hang us with the rope they are stealing from us.
    President Trump’s plan is the only plan for us as far as I am concerned.
    We either stop them economically, or we fight a war with them.
    And how will that turn out? Massive casualties on both sides.
    I say we would win, but a lot of things have to go right. But, massive casualties.
    Much better to defeat them economically now, and skip the war.
    I would love to see the entire free world put a 25% tariff on all chinese goods.
    Maybe we can drive the brutal CCP from power.

• pyromancer76 says:

Yes, worldwide communism, but only with Chinese in total control. Lots of ideology for “nationalistic” purposes. There no real humans except for Chinese who bow to whomever is emperor at present. Other socialists ought to wake up and see what is in store for them.

47. 1911pistolero says:

I’m in the cat bird seat with the crap China has pulled. I’d be typing for an hour to relay what I’ve seen. I’ve owned a Precision Machine Shop for 30 plus years servicing the Semi Conductor Capital Equipment guys. The Chinese will never conform. They will never stay true to any type of deal. We don’t need them. However they need us REAL bad. Cut them off. Eventually they’ll be shooting missiles at us anyway.

48. ezgoer says:

Trump is right but he needs to explain better how China is harming the USA economically. The MSM will never report it so when he gets the chance to speak directly to the people he needs to explain it.

49. A2 says:

I am speculating, but there seems to be a shift happening on a variety of fronts. Many noticed what I noticed about the President’s calm and measured demeanour during recent helicopter pressers.

Whilst the Hong Kong situation heated up and the PRC propaganda machine went hammer and tongs against the Hong Kong people, activating their army of vile wumao and little pinks, posturing with guns and anti-riot police over the border in Shenzhen (that was certainly staged for the international press), blaming the US and other countries for instigating the protests, turning their ambassadors into global harridans, ordering their citizens, many of them students to harass and attack Hong Kong and Taiwan students from New York to Australia, London and other major cities around the world, then on Sunday 1.7 million HKers held a peaceful protest.

The President tweeted. Hey friend Xi, get it together, meet the people and resolve this peacefully.

Chairman Xi Mao 2.0 fresh from the annual Beidaihe ping pong, beach volleyball and caballing gabfest goes to Gansu for some inspections and historic relics viewing with ever faithful Liu He at his side (someone on social media said he brought Liu so he would have at least one friend to talk to 🤣). Nice pretence for looking like the HK situation is just a storm in a teacup.

And then,hk CE Carrie Lam had a presser, saying the Extradition bill is dead, she is willing to talk to ‘peaceful’ activists, and she has expanded the commission looking at complaints against the police. Two officers were finally arrested for viciously beating an old man. And the police have mounted a manhunt for a mainlander that stabbed three people.

Besides the national embarrassment that Chinese mainlanders acting like thugs across the world, a British consulate staff was disappeared in Shenzhen. Looks like the tail is wagging the dog. Get a grip Xi, you may have unleashed a maelstrom and it has your name on it—Xi Jinping Thought.

Meanwhile back at the dictators club, you have lost control of Rocketboy, Putin is covering up a nuclear missile disaster which has got the world’s attention, your economy and currency is as healthy as a Gansu pig with a fever and if Boris gets his Brexit, Salvini gets elected, bye bye Huawei pie and pants down when the belt hits the road.

President Trump says, ‘so sad’. Maybe maybe not over the trade deal. Time is something you can’t buy Xi, you’ve run out of dosh and good will.

• pyromancer76 says:

Thanks for the comment. Adds a lighter note to the Chinese nastiness. And acknowledges President Trump’s confidence – “calm and measured demeanour.” Our greatest President. And thanks to Sundance for his morning-to-night extraordinary coverage of our VSGDJT.

50. MD says:

Trump also did another brilliant maneuver with regards to this today. Yesterday, word “leaked” that he was considering a tax cut to counter the impending recession the left is trying to start. All the media reported on it. He then came out today and said he was considering it to be proactive to prevent a recession. The Dems will never go for tax cut but now look even more foolish if they keep pushing recession talk. Buys more time until the election and every day that passes China’s economy weakens further.