The United States and NASA celebrate 50 years since the Apollo 11 moon landing.  On this incredible anniversary Vice-President Mike Pence and historic astronaut Buzz Aldrin discuss the past (Apollo) and future (Artemis) of space exploration.

This entry was posted in Big Government, Celebrations, Donald Trump, Mike pence, President Trump, Space Force, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to Vice President Mike Pence and NASA Astronaut Buzz Aldrin Celebrate 50th Anniversary of Apollo Moon Landing…

1. My dad woke me up that night, and told me to “watch, and always remember.”

2. Elric VIII says:

I remember. The whole family was watching. I’ll never forget it. Just like JFK’s funeral. History. AMERICAN history.

3. Raised on Reagan says:

I was 12 and watched it with my Grandfather on his color TV. He was my age when the Wright Brothers first flew, and he was always interested in aviation and science. That curiosity filtered down to me. Such great memories. Thanks Niel, Buzz, Michael, and Grandpa Frank.

• livefreeordieguy says:

Color TV??? Wow… Your Grandpa was livin’ large… Yes, such great memories RoR… The stuff that gratitude and love of country are made of… Life moves on and it makes no sense to pine away for the past or try and replicate it, it’s gone. But the feelings we had then, the sense of togetherness and patriotism, THOSE feelings are well worth trying to recreate and recapture for our children and grandchildren… I think that is what PDJT is trying to do…

• Bubba Cow says:

I agree but being proud of America seems problematic for the left.
        I hope that PDJT also sees the extraordinary cultural value of regaining national pride.
        It’ll be hard for the left to fight this, but with the state of our education (I was in it) our grandchildren won’t have the science and engineering skills to contribute. This is a major cultural war.

• livefreeordieguy says:

“I agree but being proud of America seems problematic for the left.”

It sure does… Such is the sad state of things. We have allowed them to get too much control over the culture, the media and the schools… They have done so much damage… Hopefully it’s not too late…

4. A2 says:

👍🇺🇸👍

5. flatlandgoober says:

I was 14, trying hard to be cynical and hip. About some things anyway. With NASA things, I was a wide-eyed kid and all things were possible. My family had a crappy old black and white TV with a persistent roll problem. Didn’t matter at all that week, because WE WERE GOING TO LAND ON THE MOON and I was going to watch every second of it.

• Bubba Cow says:

an old black and white with a persistent roll – with the tech they had, makes it almost miraculous
      if you get a chance to visit Kennedy Space Center/Cape Canaveral, do it.

• cthulhu says:

Before everything went digital, the analog systems in the US conformed to the National Television Standards Committee, or NTSC — which focused on transmission. We now talk about 1080p and 4K televisions because we care more about what you actually see.

Everyone used to joke that NTSC stood for “Never Twice the Same Color”. Color broadcasts included a brightness scan of the image, and then a separate signal for the color of each pixel.

• JayM says:

In 1969 your parents B&W TV was neither crappy nor old.

6. the5thranchhand says:

July 20 1969, certainly was an exciting day. Naming these space missions after pagan gods and goddess has never been wise.

7. Stringy theory says:

My wife’s father was an Air Force officer. In the 1950s her father was stationed in Colorado and they lived in base housing next to Buzz Aldrin and his family. I doubt they knew in those days what a great American hero Buzz would become.

8. Sentient says:

Black and white portable TV on the new back yard patio my dad had just poured at our house in St Paul. I remember it as a hot evening. Not sure if I was watching it real-time or not.

9. czarowniczy says:

And China has successfully deorbited itys Tiangong-2 space lab…the first one having sorta just returned home more or less on its ow.n These are giant steps towards China’s huge ‘it’s ours and nunna youse can use it’ modular space station.

So far China has put the 1st robot explorer on the moon and is hoping to have its own lunar research station on the moon by 2030. China says it’s program is entirely peaceful, the moon belongs to the entire world and it looks forward to working with other nation in IT’S deep space exploration program. Whoopsies, the pronoun slip was probably just a blooper in the translation.

Then again we have the not-too-long-ago pronouncement by very high-ranking Chinese military and party members that they plan on having military basing AND nuclear missiles, to protect China from foreign attack, based on the moon shortly after their lunar research facility. Must be a flaw in the translation.

In all their progress in space over the last 30 years is astounding, especially how much of it’s based on technology we openly shared and much they stole. Oh yeah, and those programs the US initiated in China to modernize their ‘peaceful space launch systems’ under the Clinton Administration. In case you didn’t get that WE made their joint ‘space’ and nuclear weapon launch vehicles more reliable, powerful and accurate.

So as we march forward we may get a viable space program again, as the Chinese are positioned to surpass us in the near future, unless we have to (as we did under Carter Obama) divert funds to feed, house and generally cater to those entitled to sit on their asses and consume without being productive.

• mopar2016 says:

We’ve spent more than 150 billion dollars on illegal aliens so far this year.
      We should be using that money on space projects instead.

• 4EDouglas says:

Prediction: the Chicoms aren’t going to be around in 2030.House of cards.
      and about to collapse.

• czarowniczy says:

You really think that the elites will allow that, they won’t come to China’s aid?

When the decision was made that the US would blow the dam and bring China into the world fold by establishing relations and transferring much of our manufacturing (and debt) there the die was cast. China and the US are too economically tied, not to mention much of the rest of the world, to allow that. There’d be a worldwide collapse of biblical proportions.

There are too many US and European countries deeply entangled in China, too many politicians from the US and other countries too. Xi recently drew back on his plan to have China become THE manufacturing center in the world, one wonders if that wasn’t pressured by international concerns tempering the Chinese enthusiasm until they could get the program shored up and that constant Chinese banking problem settled.

• 4EDouglas says:

The Chinese are hurting. they have propped up their own economy for too long.Cooked their own books. Right now their banking system is under major stress.
          Too many cities without people, too few families..
          Going down..

• czarowniczy says:

Forget the Chinese people, Mao summed it up when he said he’d be willing to lose 1/2 of the entire Chinese population in pursuit of his goals. That has been and still is a strategic point with the Chinese leadership regardless of who was ruling.

The Chinese aren’t that worried about the actions of the Chinese people as long as they do what they’re told. They’ve been doing some good old fashioned polling and social research to see what reactions they could expect from the government’s actions in Hong Kong and Taiwan, they’re seeing that the people are happy as their basic means are being met at a level unknown prior to the boom, and as here after the ’08 meltdown they can find ways to recover. If that fails the have the means they and every other Asian despot’s very familiar with – they make sure the Army is well fed and cared for. I don’t expect to see another Tiananmen Square any time soon.

Yes, China’s population is aging fast but I’m betting they’re doing what rapidly-aging Japan is doing, start tossing great amounts of money into manufacturing robotics, what tech they can’t buy/steal/copy they’ll develop using what they’ve bought/stolen/copied.

I believe China’s biggest fear is that India, with what will be a larger and much younger population than China by 2050, will steal China’s place. China’s spending billions on trying to neutralize India, surrounding her with ‘ports’ and building lots of ‘peaceful hydroelectric’ dams across rivers north of India that will starve her of water. I think India will be used as bugaboo in case of any economic problems to assist the Chicom government in forcing the population to eat any economic upheaval cookies.

10. Robert Smith says:

I was late to the game as only remember watching Apollo 16 live.

11. chiefworm says:

My Father, grhws, worked on the Apollo project at KSC. Actually, Gemini through Apollo. Worked on the fact finding board for Apollo 1. I saw the launch of Apollo 11 from the roof of the Headquarters Building with my Mom and siblings. Those were wonderous days. For the people working on the missions, I have the deepest love and respect for. However, for NASA, the bureaucracy, I have utter contempt. Like many from my era, I believe we should have forged ahead to set up a base there to show that MAN can wrestle control of space. To show that we can live, work and perform experiments in one of the harshest environments known to man. We are explorers and the “leaders” of NASA sat on their hands. One half of a century has passed and we still haven’t gone any further that those few men who strode and rode upon the surface of our satellite “The Moon”. NASA should hang their heads shame. They are but turds wrapped in suits.

• Robert Smith says:

Apollo 16 was one of the earlier memories I have and I was a a big space buff when I was a kid. All those guys are heroes to me.

If somebody told me we wouldn’t be back to the moon (at least!) to this date I would have laughed at them. I didn’t follow the space program for many years during the Space Shuttle. Wasn’t interesting to me because there wasn’t a next step.

• mike says:

PanAm was supposed to be offering us passenger flights to the moon long ago …
        It was taking $500 pax deposits.
        Ooopsie. SEC slipped on that one.

• WacoKid says:

Unfortunately NASA has to get Congress’ approval for everything. I live in South Florida and we made the last 3 or 4 shuttle launches and landings. I remember watching Neil take his step, I was in elementary school. AV rolled out a B&W TV and we watched. Years later I’ve met Buzz, Al Worden and so many great astronauts. As usual the government got involved and that’s never a good thing. Bill Nelson going into space?? Gimme a break. And poor McAuliffe. Neither one was qualified to board that shuttle. But NASA has to do allow that to get the funding. Like Mike Mullane, a great man we’ve met numerous times, I can never forgive NASA for Challenger.

• Maquis says:

I too am frustrated that we quit the moon. A commitment to a base would have prepared us for Mars long ago. We have to claim our proper role in soace to promote peace and to preserve humanity. We are fledglings in a fragile nest and we must claim more homes for sentient life, we are too vulnerable. What we learn and do in that pursuit will much better enable us to preserve Earth than agenda laden enviro-hysteria ever could.

• Sentient says:

Chiefworm, what do you think of those who say we didn’t go to the moon?

• chiefworm says:

Sent, I’m not sure what I would say. While they have a right to think that, I also have the right to think they are morons. I’m sure they would think that all those different launches I’ve seen over the years were just mass hallucinations. Shoot, maybe they are a hallucination to me. To steal a line from Bladerunner 2049, “I know what’s real.”

12. James F says:

Here is how google marked the occasion.

13. livefreeordieguy says:

The astronauts in the Apollo program were no dummies nor shrinking violets… Buzz Aldrin, now pushing 90, was a graduate of the US Military Academy and of MIT and was a highly decorated fighter pilot… and, of course, flew on Apollo 11 and walked on the moon… Even in retirement, when some smartass little pissant hack tries to mess with him, he was having none of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OROlF8zB9z0&has_verified=1 🇺🇸

14. emeraldcoaster says:

Buzz Aldrin is an American hero for his space deeds. His reputation is enhanced by his effort to send Bart Sibrel into orbit.

15. Robert Smith says:

This is pretty much everything.

Apollo 11 Flight journal

Apollo 11 Lunar Surface Jornal

16. WSB says:

So thrilled to meet Pilot Aldren at GTE’s headquarters when he visited there…must have been around 1976.

Lovely man, and he became more of an observant Christian after going to the moon, understanding that there is something much greater than self.

17. George Hicks says:

My Dad was a big-time astronomer, he belonged to the LI Astronomer’s Assoc. He had a couple of huge telescopes that he would set up in the back yard for us and the neighborhood kids to look at the heavens through. Unfortunately, he passed away on July 6th of 1969 and never got to see man’s first steps on the moon. I always felt he was cheated out of what would have been one of the most exciting events of his life.
    As a kid, I wrote to all the astronauts from Alan Shepard on, asking them for their autographs. I received replies from all of them, many times including packages of photos of outer space and other cool stuff.
    That was a time of real American exceptionalism, most of the engineering and design was done with slide rules, computers weren’t very sophisticated at the time.
    I agree with several others, the fact that we haven’t expanded on our original outer space accomplishments, is a black eye on our capabilities.
    We don’t even have the capability to send our own to the space station!

18. The Gipper Lives says:

Buzz Aldrin is a Giant.

And now we have a president with vision who loves America in a giant way. Perfect.

19. Laurie Walker says:

I wish JFK could’ve watched the moon landing.

20. Robert Smith says:

Here’s a great, wide-ranging interview with Buzz.

For people tired of Hannity-ruptus, Brian Cox does not interrupt Aldrin.

21. NJF says:

A true patriot. What a well deserved tribute.

22. JustScott says:

This is pretty cool. ABC Australia is running a Live Feed of Neil Armstrong’s moon walk, with a 50 year delay. It is about one hour into the walk when I post this, but you can scroll back in time from Live.

23. Meriadoc says:

Here’s a YouTube link to the original NASA video from the moon:

It’s three hours long. The moonwalk happens during the first two…just amazing. I felt like a little kid again watching it. True greatness there…how did we ever fall so far? We can be that great again, though, I’m sure of it. MAGA, baby!!

24. Meriadoc says:

Here’s an interesting vid of the 15 minute descent of the LEM to the surface.

Real time record of Armstrong taking control of the lander as the fuel begins to run out. Pretty nervy during those last few seconds.

25. Monadnock says:

This is another of those things that I get cranked about with liberals.

SO MUCH WASTE as they spend time throwing sand in the gears of progress – we should be WAAAY far along the path of going to Mars by now, if not actually there already.

There’s a guy on Facebook that set-up a page called something like “Build The Enterprise”

Wish our “leaders” (those other than PDJT) had sufficient vision to push for interstellar travel. I’d far rather see our taxes spend on developing and implementing that level of tech rather than on gimmedat programs for the millions of members of the Free Sh!t Army.

• 4EDouglas says:

Agree 100% at least Space X is doing it the way God an Heinlien intended..
      Not a fan of Elon Musk, but Space X is showing the rest how to do it.
      “Per Adrua ad Astra.”
      “With Struggle. to the Stars!”

26. The Gipper Lives says:

From the archives:

“Robert Costa: “Obama’s is a stunted vision, and one that deliberately scales back the horizon for Western man, leaving the Chinese and Russians as de facto kings of the cosmos. Though the president believes that he’s smartly tossing a cumbersome program into the bin, along with its cowboy ethos, he forgets that astronauts are more than overpaid automatons of the state — they’re heroes, men whose adventures are an instrumental part of America’s own. The president looks at moondust and sees dirt. “I just have to say, pretty bluntly here, that we’ve been [to the moon] before,” Obama declared in front of an eerily quiet NASA audience. …When he spoke at the Kennedy Space Center during the run-up to the 2008 election, Obama vowed to protect the jobs of the facility’s workers before an audience that included them; not a single space worker was invited to attend yesterday’s speech.” ……..

If it was a Crescent Moon, he’d go there.

Obama BEFORE the election:

“Obama commits to moon mission” By Robert Block, Orlando Sentinel, August, 16 2008

Obama AFTER the election:

“Obama aims to ax moon mission” By Robert Block, Orlando Sentinel, January 27, 2010

FoxNews, May, 2010:
    “Earlier this week, the administration said it would rescue a small part of the moon program: its Orion crew capsule. But instead of taking four astronauts to the moon, the not-yet-built Orion will be slimmed down and used as an emergency escape pod on the [Russian] space station.”
    What a perfect metaphor for Obama’s vision: from “To Boldly Go Where No Man has Gone Before !” to “Keep your head down, crawl into the escape pod and nobody will get hurt.”

“America–We Lead the World in Escape Pod Technology!”

That would be an escape pod from the Soyuz Space Station–if we can even beg the Russians to sell us the rocket engines to get there in the first place:
    How a U.S.-Russian Space Rocket Deal Funds Putin’s Cronies: Putin’s space industry is managed by two Russian officials sanctioned over the invasion of Ukraine. So why is the Pentagon buying $2 billion from it?

Way to stand up to Putin, Barry. Flexible, indeed.” …….

Lest we forget.

27. VegGOP says:

The photo Sundance posted with the moon car was NOT from Apollo 11… they had NO car on that first mission. So far as I know, they left just five items on the moon; our flag, a reflector that was subsequently used to make super-accurate laser measurements of the distance between the earth and moon (my favorite math professor at UCLA explained in 1970 a complex algebra problem he was tasked by NASA with solving to make that work, but I digress), a seismometer, the lower half of the Lunar Excursion Module that formed the launch pad for the upper half, and a camera on a tripod that broadcast back the launch from the moon. I was holding my breath during that countdown. Incredible memory. I had just turned 18, and now I’m 68!

• Deplorable_Vespucciland says:

Bounce the laser beam off the lunar laser reflector and record the time it takes to get there and back. Divide by two then multiply by the speed of light to get the exact distance between the Earth and the Moon at any particular time?
      Some people may have been watching on newfangled Magnavox color TV sets but the transmissions from the moon were all low resolution Black & White. Didn’t seem to bother us at the time. What the Astros were doing was important. How we saw what they were doing was not.
      And for all intents and purposes “The Space Race” was over a few months earlier when the Apollo 8 crew successfully orbited the Moon during Christmas of 1968. The Russians never even attempted to send men to the moon and no other nation was capable of getting people off the planet.

• 4EDouglas says:

Actually it was when the Russians N-1 rocket blew up on launch.
        Put the fire out call in the dogs huntin’s over..
        We didn’t know it at the time..:

Here is the actual rocket-they weren’t much different.
        But that multiple engine design was asking for trouble..
        Maybe “Our Germans were better than their Germans.”

• trishinsouthernillinois says:

My dad, after being in the Air Force, went civilian & worked for Federal Electric on Vandenberg AFB when I was a little kid. He was a radar guy & was one of the guys that tracked Apollo 11 (all the Apollo missions) & tracking that mirror on the moon was also one of his daily jobs. I remember him telling me about how they were going to put this thing in space after the Apollo miss ions, It was called SkyLab. LOL man I’m old!

28. youme says:

29. Trump2020 says:

I’m really excited for the future. I have a nephew who is a Aerospace engineer with his PHD that has worked for NASA since he has had his master and has worked along side the old Apollo engineers helping develop the new heat shield for the new Orion orbiter. He wanted to be an astronaut, but was turned down because of his knowledge of the orbiter and the need to be on the ground in case of an emergency. He is a really cool young man in this late 30’s. After getting turned down he found a lovely lady his age, got married and they are now bless with two little ones. To think he is this close to this project is really neat!

30. WRB says:

I am really disappointed that the VP and Buzz did not take this opportunity to
    “reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math and engineering.” /s

FYI, that was Obama’s “foremost priority” for NASA.
    see http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/06/nasa-administrator-muslim-outreach-a-top-priority/

BTW, it is striking:
    75 years ago – D-Day, greatest invasion by sea in history
    50 years ago – Man lands on the moon (and returns)
    Since then, not very much, except for a steady erosion of the forgotten middle class and a successful injection of diversity ( which is our “strength” /s)

31. Florida_Frank says:

Just a couple of months ago, I scanned into my PC a couple hundred old 35mm slides from that era. One of the pics was the fuzzy TV image that I took that night in our living room of Armstrong standing by the lander.

32. lfhbrave says:

The other day at the White House, it seems NASA wants to do a moon base before going to Mars, saying that Mars program could use the resources (H2O, less gravity) on the moon. Mike Collins told POTUS that he preferred Mars direct.

How could NASA explain that spending all the money and time on a moon base program as the first stage to Mars is a better/efficient way, given the fact that Earth has all those resources and manpower without sending and installing a base and liquid/solid fuel manufacturing facility to the moon (using Moon’s water to make fuel)? Mars-direct makes much more sense. Did I miss something?

• Maquis says:

We can live and practice on the moon in our own backyard and discover and surmount difficulties more easily, only three days away. Mars is a long journey that has to be right in every fashion to succeed and there is no near-equivalent practicing and proving technologies beforehand.

We threw away fifty years of opportunity to become proficient in longterm space survival, so finally learning to thrive on the moon before we attempt Mars is simply the price we pay for half a century of shortsightedness.

Besides, we need a permanent presence on the moon.
      ASAP.