Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell appears on Fox Business News with Maria Bartiromo to discuss President Trump, the Democratic Party’s shift to the left, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s comments, the budget battle, China trade tensions and issues with Iran.

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Budget, Deep State, Dem Hypocrisy, Donald Trump, Election 2020, Legislation, media bias, Mitch McConnell, Nancy Pelosi, President Trump, Taxes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to Mitch McConnell Discusses Debt Ceiling, Budget and Possible Government Shutdown….

1. Mitch ‘The Turtle’ will continue to shell out money to Wall Street and his special interest groups (see what I did there?).

2. dufrst says:

S!eems like the Dems and the Establishment are determined to try to wreck the economy to get Trump out with these faux fights on debt ceiling and government shutdowns. Too bad it won’t work! MAGA!

3. sundance says:

• DJ Snyder says:

Well at least he got something right. Credit where it’s due.

• Dan Patterson says:

Beautiful.
        Remind me, someone, why we are no longer tied to a precious metal monetary system? Inflation was not present during those days, though I know there are downsides. I think. Maybe.

• mopar2016 says:

I agree Dan, so does our president.
          From what I’ve read, I think he plans to nominate Judy Shelton to the board of the Federal Reserve.

• Zabadak says:

I’ve said this before and I will say it again. Once PT gets our trade imbalances balanced, once he gets us self sustaining and self sufficient, I think he will go for the jugular and put us back onto the gold standard. I think he tells the Fed to pound sand. Our debts are wiped out and there can be no more deficient spending. A complete reset. This is why everyone hates him, except for us. His may concern right now is holding everything together until he can pull the trigger.

• Zabadak says:

main

• Carrie2 says:

Zabadak, we need gold back at Ft. Knox to protect our country’s money. What we need to do is close down this swamp congress and out they go with no lifetime benefits. Again, we hired/elected them to represent us and we ignored while they take outsider money and get rich. The should have a LIMIT on how much they can spend. Don’t send our money to other countries and let those countries take care of themselves and we never ever get paid by. We need to cut the rope to PR territory as 91 Billion and nothing done. They don’t even want to learn English. No more money to any business like PP, nor wasting our money on groups who do stupid things for the money like teaching shrimp to walk on a treadmill (this one really ignites my fire), or some dancing, etc. Our money should and must be spent on our needs as a country and they know nothing about economics so we must set a limit on expenditures and where they go. 7 mos. and nothing done but watching them fuss about nothings and allowing the 4 squad to definitely be the face of the DNC Party which will help us in 2020 to win. We the People are the Government and Power and before they spend a dime we must have the opportunity to say yes or no, PERIOD! It is the Legislature department and how money creeped in I still do not know because they don’t know how to handle it except to cripple our country with growing debt which must sooner or later be paid down. They allowed obama to add more than 10 trillion and said/did nothing and yelp & whine for our real needs via our President. Now they want to create what I call illegal laws to hurt and our President! No more! we must take back the reins or lose it all.

• mugzey302 says:

Plus the fact, his buddies at CoC don’t want $15/hour! They want cheap migrant labor.

• livefreeordieguy says:

Even a blind turtle finds a leafy green once in a while.

• Michael Dark says:

huh?
      which is it guys, more jobs than workers or more workers than jobs :p

4. Bob Parker says:

My man B*tch McConnell is a walking advertisement for term limits.

He’s got his millions in the bank. He should have either retired or been retired to KY where he can sit on his front porch & drool all over himself. But no, even though he’s in his 80’s good ol’ B*itch CRAVES power!!

This bastard’s been “bought & paid for” soooooo many times from special interest groups, rumor has it that he has a bar code tatooed somewhere on his loathsome body. This makes it easy for lobbyists to find out how much it’ll cost ’em for B*tch’s support/vote: lobbyists just run a scanner over B*tch’s bar code!!

Cha-ching B*tch!!

• swissik says:

You can say the same about others in congress. Diane Feinstein comes to mind.

• Bruce Fauth says:

They should be made to wear suits like NASCAR drivers with their advertisers all on the clothes.
        Owned by BIG OIL
        Owned by BIG AG
        Owned by BIG PHARMA
        Owned by GOLDMAN SACHS
        Owned by GEORGE SOROS
        Owned by CHINA

• ms doodlebug says:

She took it to a new level. For twenty years (?) taxpayers paid her Chinese spy. It’s no doubt classified how much retirement pay he receives after all those years of ‘vested service’. Does anyone believe she wasn’t being rewarded for putting him in position?

• YvonneMarie says:

😩😩😩😩😩😩

• Donzo says:

Bob, I think the facts are enough.

• KnowSERENoFear says:

Food for thought…a term limit prevents President Trump to only 8 years as POTUS. In the end, voters keep politicians in office.

• Bob Parker says:

With all due respect, the 22nd Ammendment (ratified 2/27/51) restricts anyone serving as President longer than 2 terms or a maximun of 10 years. This was instituted folllowing Pres Franklin D Roosevelt’s 4 tems.

• Carrie2 says:

Know, and why we must take back the reins or our employees in this congress and reduce Senate to 1 (6 yr.) term and the House two 2 maybe 3 (4 or 6 yrs) terms and remove all benefits and any dealing with lobbyists mean you are fired. You are over paid for just a few months of work and we don’t see any benefits to your “work” and any money to be spent must be okayed by WE THE PEOPLE, your bosses. Need to do the same for the SC as well and if healthy they retire at age 75 but if suffering from health or mental problems, then immediate removal. Not fair to have a great President limited to 2 terms – 8 yrs.obviously is not fair. Each of the 3 departments do know what they must do and since this SC is not following our Constitutional laws, we need to step in and kick butts out. With the Congress is spending our money like water on items that we do not want to waste our money, then we step in and we accept or deny that expenditure. If a president thinks he is a king or spouting things that are not correct to our country and again wastes money on expensive dinners for friends in our WH, or have parties on our money, takes vacations at expensive locations here and abroad, dines out at very expensive restaurant and we pay the bill, etc. Our Founders set up these 3 depts. for a purpose and not ignoring our rights/laws or doing what they want as we will have to kick butts. How dare this congress to think they own us. We know the democrats are communists in general (and it ain’t socialism by any stretch of the imagination) and the RINOS and GOPe don’t want their applecarts overturned/stopped. In other words since when do employees tell the employers what to do and not do?

• L4grasshopper says:

He’s 77 🙂

He’s been very good on judges.

Yeah….he’s pure Establishment. And yeah….he takes few risks.

But there’s much, much worse….like Romney.

• WSB says:

The only reason for NOT relinquishing power…is to retain secrecy of all crimes.

5. marywilbur says:

Interesting discussion. Thank you.

6. Turtle is 10 yrs older than I.
    Coming from long lived family I expect to outlive him.

I have already reserved my place in line to water his grave so the grass will have plenty of nitrogen.

• Pa Hermit says:

We need reservations for 95% of Congress critters! The only way I see any way to resolve this is through COS Art. V and I don’t see that happening with all these voters that are lazy! Ignorance is not bliss.

• livefreeordieguy says:

Don’t get too cocky, mycroft… Some species of turtles can live well over 150 years.

7. mrtomsr says:

He says (paraphrasing) when we have a divided government, these are the things we must accept. So sorry for you. When we didn’t have a divided government, I expected the republican controlled house and senate to have bills lined up and ready to roll. All of the promises of “we will if” would have been ready on day one. Were they? Was there any bill promised during the Obama years ready on day one? Please mr majority leader, don’t talk to me about the things we must accept.

• swissik says:

Well said mrtomsr and that is why I am an independent and not any party’s member.

• swissik,
        I agree with you. I was neither a R or D before candidate (and now thankfully THE President) Trump showed up on the horizon and since then I have been THE T.

My only concern is, after 2024, I hope President Trump has a heir apparent lined up otherwise the vacuum / blackhole it will create in terms of leadership will be gigantic.

Disclaimer – I am writing this disclaimer after long time and as usual I expect lot of hardcore “fans” of President Trump getting triggered. But it is warranted this time since I sound like a zombie Trump fan. I am not a fan of President Trump. I am however a hardcore President Trump’s supporter. There are disappointments and sometimes I wonder why President Trump doesn’t take 0bama’s approach of phone and pen, but at the same time in a way there is also respect for him for not being lawless like 0bama. Now if only he will fulfill his campaign promise of being the law-and-order President by sending the coup players to where they belong, then it would be a good day for not only his supporters/fans but also for this great nation. Come to think of it …. don’t remember the context of why he gave that campaign promise of being the law-and-order President, but maybe that was a hint to the deep state that “I know what you did last summer”?

• John55 says:

The trouble with becoming an independent is that you cannot vote in the primaries and remove people like McConnell from office. You are stuck voting for either the bad Republican or the worse Democrat in the general election.

• Carrie2 says:

I also sign up as repub but am an Independent in the sense I choose the person(s) I want. As an ongoing election clerk I go in as a repub and since I am the multi-language clerk it is time to require any voter to speak, read and write English or otherwise they don’t have a clue of issues or persons. Also a photo ID along with a fingerprint because we must allow ONLY legal citizens to vote. We will get that question done in spite of those en contra having it on the census. We have always had this question and it is just and right that it be there! This is OUR Republic of America and we must follow REAL laws and also not spend our money for ridiculous items/persons/etc. Frankly, I have a desire to bash heads in this congress for not doing the job we hired them to do. Too much treason and sedition being thrown out there and we must advise them that the old custom of hanging is still viable to remove them from the planet and all assets here and abroad confiscated since they go into congress not super rich and then are? Aaargh!

• chickenhawk says:

In some places you can’t vote in the primary if not registered as a republican

• YvonneMarie says:

Mitch is helping with the judicial branch of our govt.
      Now Romney I can see whining about.
      Not Mitch right now.

• butch cassidy says:

mitch just throws enough crumbs to keep the base from totally despising him. Remember when we took the senate he said he hands were tied unless we give him the house, then he couldn’t do anything unless we control the presidency and look how much he’s accomplished. He had no choice on the judges and a couple of other things, other than that, zip. He is big part of the uniparty/deepstate.

• livefreeordieguy says:

Exactly YvonneMarie… Mitch is doing a great job on judges… And he’s also doing a great job on… on… on… did I mention judges? Oh, wait, he’s not going to bring the ‘fight for $15’ to the Senate floor… and he didn’t blink on Merrick Garland (oh, so long ago)… Oh, and he’s good on judges. Sorry, the dirty little secret is that Itchy Mitchy is one of (if not THE) biggest thorns in our president’s side… But I agree, I will happily whine about Romney too.

• L4grasshopper says:

The GOP never “controlled” the Senate.

The filibuster gives Schumer veto power over most stuff. And even when rules are used to work around it, you have a McCain or Romney or Flake or Murkowski or Collins rushing to help the Left on something.

• John55 says:

We have all those squishy Republicans in the Senate … even from solidly Republican states …. because McConnell supports them in the primaries and opposes conservative candidates.

8. RJ says:

I want less government in my life, period! All talk, little if any action. Blowhards and liars.

Obama showed most pols that lying is the way to go. That is a “fundamental” change within America, where lying becomes the new normal.

Shame on these fools, and the fools who elect them! Shame on us…sadly, this appears to be a truth we don’t want to recognize!

• Max Tadpol says:

I honestly believe Hilary made public, bald face lying the new political / social norm (“I always ‘TRY’ to tell the truth”), which Obama and the MSM took to completely new levels.

• NC Patriot says:

RJ—the politicians have been lying to us LONG BEFORE Obama. POTUS is the first truth teller I have seen since Reagan! And I have seen 13 American presidents.

• Carrie2 says:

NC,and I since Roosevelt and yes Reagan and Trump truly were for our Republic and not lining their pockets to attempting to destroy our country via communism/globalism, etc. Our country was won by a revolution and a 2nd might have to be done.

• Akindole says:

“…and the fools who elect them!”

That’s the important part.
      And, everyone should keep that in mind when whining about these scoundrels as if the ScumBagFairy merely dropped them into DC one summer night.

9. Marygrace Powers says:

“McConnelling” to Johnny Cash cover of NIN “Hurt”/McConnell’s Theme song.

10. neal s says:

I would not mind at all to see a government shutdown if we could actually get a reduction in force out of it. Spending is spiraling out of control. There is tremendous amount of waste in most if not all government programs. If you wanted to rid the desert of sand, all you would need to do is to create a government agency that would be charged with conserving that sand.

Too much of our workforce is public employees and I am convinced that the public is not getting good value for its money. A reduction in force would go a long way toward helping clear out dead-wood so to speak.

I hope that VSGPDJT can address the size of the government and help shrink it before he leaves office.

• GB Bari says:

Yes . I think a 50% reduction in force of both the FBI and CIA ought to bring some relief to the budget…as well as to the rule of law.

• Carrie2 says:

GB, when I read there are 30K attorneys I began to wonder why? I have worked in law for decades and in big firms and 30K sounds like padding. Get rid of the FBI/CIA/NSA and when needed can be formed and really, really investigated before being allowed to any of these 3 intelligence??? agencies to work. I say all removed because if there are some that are true patriots and get the work done, then they will be brought back to which ever agency. Clearing out a lot of Obama’s hiring those to fulfill their dreams but are not only useless but hate Trump. We need them like another hole in the head. When I grew up the feds had only 25% employees and all functioned well. We can do it again.

• jebg46 says:

And the DOJ

• Robert Smith says:

If we can get rid of the paid vacation aspect for gov workers maybe we’d get somewhere.

• Carrie2 says:

Actually Trump has been working on that and apparently several thousands are gone but why were duplicate departments allowed but I suppose there were made to satisfy voters or friends to have overpaid jobs and doing very little work. I am still laughing at moving the department with the duty of agriculture, etc. to that area. Gee, if that is their job, then being at the place you are supposedly overseeing makes sense. I guess they think they will be in some foreign land of farmers while eating their steak and fries. I am thinking that some of those in this department will quit and only want to work/live in BIG cities.

11. Doppler says:

Socialism wants to define minimum wages and many other details of employment agreements, while the blessings of liberty allow individual employers and employees, including unionized employees, to negotiate those out between themselves, without government interference. It is free enterprise, plus MAGAnomics, that are delivering 3+% wage growth, and high demand for workers so that, if a worker doesn’t get what he or she wants, there are choices available. Part of maganomics is eliminating those regulations and other incentives that drive businesses to oursource their jobs to other countries and replace them with incentives that encourage domestic hiring. I think Maganomics vs Socialism’s desire to control the terms of employment is an excellent choice to present to the country.

12. Dimbulbz says:

Plenty of anger to go around. I, however, since I cannot Vote for Mitch, nor can I pay enough to influence him, will save my spite for those who are within my reach. I have enough battles here in Tejas, without wasting breath and energy on men who are not within my firewall of influence. Mitch is better than what we would have if he was voted out. In Politics, you VERY seldom get what you want, so you settle.

13. GB Bari says:

Mitch blew off the dust from his MAGA hat and put it on for this interview.

I could not find much with which to take issue with OTHER THAN the statement he made that “mrtomsr” highlighted in his post upthread. Yes we cannot get much done with a divided government. But Mitch McCorporatist and Lyin’ Ryan got very little done when Republicans held with houses. So take that argument, Mitch, sprinkle it with Weak Sauce, and pound it.

And that issue is unfortunately a defining issue for Mitch McCorporatist. He’s all talk and no action when it comes to immigration and healthcare. He has been a vocal critic and threatened obstruction regarding President Trump’s tariffs when they are effectively used as leverage to speed up trade negotiations and achieve outcomes favorable to the United States.

His focus on getting better federal judges confirmed is notable, but I think we can find a real pro-MAGA Senator who will also make sure that more conservative strict constructionist judges are confirmed rather than leftwing progressive activists.

• Robert Smith says:

We can hope that perhaps McConnell understands now thatTrump isn’t going anywhere. So maybe there will be more done in the future.

14. EJ says:

My gut tells me Trump doesnt think he can take on a shut down and he will go along with this crap.

15. DJT2020 says:

Kevin McCarthy press conference today

• WSB says:

That was the first time This One showed any today. I was pleasantly surprised.

• Derek Hagen says:

To Mr. McCarthy: good on you sir.

I think I’ll pay a little more attention to this guy and see what develops.

• Carrie2 says:

He doesn’t say anything about how the republicans did little at all when they were in the lead and also helped Obama to do the dirty. Now, we are seeing a wee bit of them attempting to do the right thing. We know that Ryan was to most of a democrat and so far McCarthy is surprising me.

• Carrie2 says:

McCarthy, this is NOT socialism as I lived under socialism, but it is outright communism that the DNC Party set forth in the publication of their Communist Manifesto to take over our Republic. We millions of real Americans will never ever allow communists nor globalists take over our country!

• yucki says:

*\o/*

16. Matthew LeBlanc says:

Great movie.

17. sumoyokozuna says:

guess I’m too damn old to figure many of the acronyms on the CTH…so many people seem to write in their own hieroglyphics nowadays.

but I see this one all the time VSGPDJT I know what the lat 4 letters stand for…but what do the first 3 stand for?

18. sumoyokozuna says:

19. zaq123 says:

Amazing how they think anyone cares about a government shut down anymore.