Friday July 12th – Open Thread

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

123 Responses to Friday July 12th – Open Thread

1. Troublemaker10 says:

2. citizen817 says:

3. citizen817 says:

4. F.D.R. in Hell says:

5. Garrison Hall says:

The weekend cometh! Have a great Friday, Treepers.

6. armie says:

Re: The President’s Friday travel: he’s making an appearance in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, which was Tim Conway’s home town.

7. Lucille says:

The A-10 Warthog: How this Incredible 40 Year Old Plane Has Survived

• dayallaxeded says:

Thanks for this! Every time I see an A-10, especially in action, it gives me a huge, USA pride smile! The Flying Tigers paint scheme is icing on the cake!

• James P Ryan says:

Thank you so much for this. As long as we put boots on the ground, there will be a need for close air support, is this tough old bird is a master at it’s craft. I hope we don’t put the A-10 or the AC-130 out to pasture unless we have something as good, or better.

• czarowniczy says:

I had the luck to be attached to an A-10 unit for a couple of years in the 90s. They are a fantastic plane. Originally designed to face Russian armored columns on the European plains they needed a mission after the collapse of the USSR and they took up close air support (CAS).

The plane’s a flying tank, it can take an incredible amount of damage and still fly while the pilot’s protected in a bulletproof tub. It’s primarily designed to fly the GAU-8 cannon to a place where it could chew up Russian armor so you can imagine what it can do to Islamic radical ‘technical’ pickups.

I’ve seen them practicing on targets at Wendover and Ft McCoy. Many moons ago at McCoy we were on an exercise and a Warthog made a gun run over us that started about 300 feet in front of our position. The noise was much more louderer than the old GAU-2s in the AC-47s and the spent cases raining down was a sight. I still have a dummy 30mm round from the A-10, used to keep it on my desk at work and it created interest.

Every now and then the Air Force starts whining about dumping the A-10 and using its high performance jets for CAS, mostly because the AF brass are ex-zoomies who believe the AF shouldn’t bother much with CAS, their job is to gain air superiority and they’ll sort of do CAS when they can. At one time the AF was going to dump the A-10 and the Army said it should then be transferred to them for CAS. The AF balked as the agreement was that the AF would have all of the fixed-wing combat capability so under pressure the F agreed to keep the A-10. Damn lucky for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

There are still AF elements that want the AF to be composed primarily of air superiority aircraft that can be retrofitted with ‘close enough for government work’ CAS pods – they changed the A-10 unit I was attached to to half A-10s, half F-16s – but so far those with the responsibility of protecting the ground forces prevail.

• Pale rider says:

I remember probably thirty years ago a 20/20 show where they tried to replace that A-10 with a missile that was pretty much ineffective and cost much more as a tank killer.

8. citizen817 says:

• mr.piddles says:

That’s why hockey is freaking awesome. No bullcrap (generally speaking, Tim Thomas notwithstanding).

• James P Ryan says:

Never been a hockey fan, but I may start being one now.

• mr.piddles says:

It’s a great T.V. sport (the best, IMO, followed by doubles tennis) once you start watching it and get the hang of keeping track of the puck and can pick out the little strategies and sub-strategies. When you get to the point where you know what the hell “icing” is, then you’re pretty much hooked.

• JG3 says:

Adult in the room…need more of them. God bless him!

9. mr.piddles says:

From the “Don’t Laugh At Me!” Files…

So I like tennis, but I don’t think I’m very good at it. One thing I do know is that I’m pretty sure I’ve never had tennis elbow. But if I ever do have it, it probably feels something similar to what I’m experiencing now.

A few days ago I noticed a persistent, dull pain in my left elbow. You know that feeling where maybe it’s some strained ligaments inside or something. I don’t know, I’m not a doctor. But it hurts, and it doesn’t seem to want to get any better.

So I’m thinking: “What the hell could have caused this? I don’t play tennis. I don’t play golf. I try not to pick up heavy things without ‘using my legs’ (as is often recommended)…” etc. etc. A few days in, I believe I figured out the cause.

Well… I was scooping the cat litter last night, and, lo, what did I feel? A distinctly sharp pain in the very location that had been bothering me. The connection was undeniable: I strained my elbow scooping cat litter. You heard it here first, folks.

In my defense, I take cat litter scooping VERY seriously. I have a nice Tri-Box setup in the basement for the two cats. Three sturdy, deep boxes with Kick-Out Guards, each with a solid 6+ inches of Swheat Scoop Multi-Cat Natural Wheat Cat Litter. Two large Lowes’ uility rugs to keep the little paws clean and fresh. Real nice setup. Three boxes for two cats generally tempers the blood pressure levels for all parties involved, mine included. And I scoop at least every other day. I try to keep a nightly cycle, but at least every other day (also beneficial to all parties involved).

So now that I believe I’ve accurately self-diagnosed, from now on I will be augmenting my cat litter scooping activities with a thorough warm-up and stretching regimen. Sometimes getting old just sucks, what can I say.

• Newhere says:

Well this wins the prize for my nightly web reading!!
      Litter-elbow!
      Don’t laugh at me either, but I totally get how that could be a thing.

• Lucille says:

Hahahaha, mr. piddles! My two cats get the half-bath for their litter box, the filling of which is with the lowest priced clumping variety. They are used to hearing me yelp when my back goes out as I’m doing clean-up…and scatter in order not to hear, “It’s all your fault, you two! Just you wait!”

• JC says:

Enjoyed every word of it, mr. p., hehe. And might I add, lucky cats.

• TreeClimber says:

We didn’t take cat litter quite so seriously, but indeed I remember straining a few parts when scooping. =)

• jbt says:

Cured mine with a Litter Robot; yes, it works, and…yes…you can train a 7-year-old cat.
      (Wish they made a Manure Robot ;( )

• mr.piddles says:

I’ve seen one of those. One of my cats is literally “on meds”, so I’m not quite sure how mixing a robot into the equation would turn out. As it is, I’m trying to get him to stop eating insulation (both kinds) and the chair cushions.

• That can only happen to “Mr. Piddles”…..LOL. You picked your name well..:)
      thanks for sharing your cute story –

10. Newhere says:

Alan Dershowitz is a tool.

I wish Fox would cut him loose. Even as a source on Russiagate, he steadfastly refused to acknowledge the reality or significance of damning evidence. He constantly pushed for a “lessons learned” political commission.

IMO he’s totally lying about Epstein. Hannity and Ingraham have long been trying our patience bringing him on constantly to pontificate, and now giving him a platform to drone on about the “lies, lies!” against him is just too much. PLEASE. Between Dersh and Donna Brazile, the few, barely watchable prime time shows are insulting away the rest of their audience.

• James P Ryan says:

I could not agree more. If Hannity or Ingraham were covering a point of constitutional law, Dershowitz is an acknowledged expert, and I would welcome his viewpoint. If the segment was covering the depths to which the Clintons or Obamas would go to, Donna Brazille would be considered an “inside” source, and I would cautiously consider her input. But giving either of them a platform to pontificate, or to defend their previous misdeeds, makes these shows nearly unwatchable for conservatives. I’ve got better things to do with my time.

• Pale rider says:

“Better things to do with my time” that would be all news programs.

• Newhere says:

Perfectly stated. I watch the shows online and skip over insufferable segments, unless I’ve seen somewhere (like CTH) that there’s something worth watching. But Dersh and Brazile are so sleazy, I’m totally done until they’re gone.

11. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Do We Make Too Much of Paul?

Here at BBS we recently received yet another email informing us that we make too much of Paul, and elevate him above the Lord Jesus. But in exhorting believers to follow Paul as he followed Christ (I Cor. 11:1), we are not making too much of Paul, and we can prove it! Do you remember when the Lord said,

“The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do…” (Matt. 23:2,3)?

Was the Lord making too much of the scribes and Pharisees when He told His followers to observe their words? Hardly! Was He elevating them above Himself? Of course not! He was simply pointing out that these spiritual leaders should be followed because they taught the Law of Moses, and the Law was God’s program for that day. Today God’s program is the program of grace, and it is not making too much of Paul to point out that he is the apostle to whom the dispensation of grace was committed (Eph. 3:1-5).

By Pastor Ricky Kurth

1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Matthew 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat:
    3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Ephesians 3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
    3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
    4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
    5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

• TMonroe says:

“Here at BBS we recently received yet another email informing us that we make too much of Paul, and elevate him above the Lord Jesus.”

Setting aside for now the latter part of that purported assertion, the continued insistence on a Pauline elevation and focus is constantly at issue in the posted articles, as noted just a couple days ago:

There are even apparently reflexive instances that invariably pop up. Just a few days ago in one article, Peter was referred to multiple times by this writer just as Peter, while Paul was referred to as “the Apostle Paul”:

I remember being stunned in an article posted here when one of their writers evinced this myopic focus on Paul, even indicating “grace believers” should share tunnel vision on Paul’s letters thusly: “What you will often find with Bibles used by grace believers is that the pages for the letters of Paul are worn or even falling out. It’s easy to find Paul’s epistles because they are either bulging out or you can see the wear on the edge of the pages from turning there so often”:

The lip service given to the rest of the use of Scripture was belied by more extra-Biblical Pauline elevation: “It is God-honoring to have a Bible that shows the wear on Paul’s epistles!” And yet, what did Paul tell Timothy?

2 Timothy 3:16-17 “All Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, having been fully equipped toward every good work.”

• TMonroe says:

Sadly, I could post page after page of instances of misplaced Paul focus by this group. What’s worse is the level of proof-texting with selective readings of Scripture that foist conclusions that can be misleading and errant. Here we have another article posted here which attempted to emphasize the “old program vs. grace program from Paul alone” and glean conclusions that Scripture does not appear to support:

Note the contention that the previous ‘program’ — here conflated with salvation — from Peter (called just Peter) involved repentance, while the grace ‘program’ from Paul (called St. Paul) did not, despite preaching about repentance at Mars Hill to pagans as well as specifying many years into his ministry about “testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ” (Acts 20:21)

(Here’s the link to the reply at the time for those interested in further clarification on the subject:)

There was one last week where a writer tried to use the two program divide to claim that one group was saved according to the promise and one by grace, when Scripture clearly pointed out that all who are saved with faith in Christ are “heirs according to the promise” (cf. Galatians 3:26-29).

The most constant drumbeat is the Paul alone received the message about salvation and about the mystery — which Paul himself says is that the Gentiles were to be joint-heirs etc. with the Jews by grace through faith (cf. Eph 3:1-9). Scripture is clear that Paul was going to be a key component of making the message known of salvation to those near (Jews) and those far off (Gentiles, cf. Eph. 2:11-18) as well as their becoming one body and members of the household of God (Eph. 2:19:22). However, Scripture is also clear that Peter received revelation from above and then before his own eyes about the Gentiles receiving salvation in like manner — by grace through faith in Christ (Acts 10), something which he shared (Acts 11, 15, 1 & 2 Peter). The contention that Paul was alone in receiving and sharing this message is not borne out in Scripture.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“The contention that Paul was alone in receiving and sharing this message is not borne out in Scripture.”

Galatians 2:1 ¶ Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.
          2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.

3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:
          4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:
          5 To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.

6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man’s person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:
          7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
          8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
          10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.

Galatians 1:6 ¶ I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
          7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
          8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
          9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11 ¶ For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
          12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
          13 Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is.
          14 If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
          15 If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Luke 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:
          Acts 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Romans 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Romans 16:25 ¶ Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

2 Timothy 2:8 ¶ Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

• TMonroe says:

Way too often, I’ve answered each of the issues raised yet again, only to receive no further reply, especially on this ‘Paul alone got his own gospel that Peter and others didn’t’ drumbeat. So we’ll start here, as time is short today (but should open up later).

“Three times Paul refers to what he is proclaiming as “MY GOSPEL”. Please consult a dictionary for the definition of the word “my”.”

You brought up the pronoun issue before, May 18th and June 5th.

June 5th: “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. Remember that Jesus Christ, of the seed of David, was raised from the dead ACCORDING TO MY GOSPEL.”

May 18th: “In the English language, the word “MY” denotes something PERSONAL not belonging to anyone else.”

I replied both times: “And yet:

“John 20:17 “Jesus says to her, “Do not touch Me, for not yet have I ascended to the Father. Now go to My brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.'”

“Jesus could have said He was ascending to His Father, which wouldn’t have negated Mary Magdalene’s relationship and pronoun applicability.”

I didn’t reply further, as I saw no reply to the point in either instance. Would you like me to delve further into this as far as the “my”, including “us” and “we” issues that appear to apply as well? Shall I loop back in the issue that came up recently from the writer who came there were multiple gospels?

• TMonroe says:

DI: “1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that IN ME FIRST Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
            “I know how to read English AND believe the verses. The dispensation of grace was revealed first to Paul, then the Lord revealed it to the other apostles that the setting aside of the Kingdom program belonging to the nation Israel is ordained of God.”

Let’s see what the preceding verses adds to the meaning of the foremost/first (Gr. Protos) in proper context:

1 Timothy 1:12-16 — “I have thankfulness for the One having strengthened me, Christ Jesus our Lord, that He esteemed me faithful, having appointed me to service, being formerly a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and insolent; but I was shown mercy, because I did it in unbelief, being ignorant. And the grace of our Lord surpassingly increased with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Trustworthy is the saying, and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. But because of this I was shown mercy, that in me, the foremost, Christ Jesus might display perfect patience, as a pattern for those being about to believe on Him to eternal life.”

Note the focus of the verse on the great level of lament with which Paul remembers his former life as a “blaspheme, and a persecutor, and insolent”. Note also that first/foremost also occurs in verse 15 (Gr. Protos), and serves to inform its use in the next verse, along with verses 12-14.

Is the part about Paul being used as an example/pattern (Gr. hypotypōsin) further informed? It would appear so, with the patience and mercy that Christ is showing being used towards someone Paul is taking pains to point out was at the front of the line of sinners. All of a sudden, it appears that the area in which Paul was claiming preeminence as far as 1 Timothy has to do with the level of unrighteousness of his former actions, as he used it as part of his testimony and witness to great effect as it related to saving grace given through Jesus Christ.

Paul returns this point multiple times:
            1 Cor. 15:9-11 — “For I am the least of the apostles, who am not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me has not been void. Rather, I toiled more abundantly than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. Therefore whether it was I or they, thus we preach, and thus you believed.”

Who are the “we” with which Paul groups himself as far as those who were preaching the gospel at the time of 1 Corinthians?

1 Cor. 15:1-8 — “Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, and in which you stand firm. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
            For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas and then to the Twelve. After that, He appeared to more than five hundred brothers at once, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles. And last of all He appeared to me also, as to one of untimely birth.”

• TMonroe says:

DI: “The poor was the result of them selling all they had (early Acts) in anticipation of the prophesied Kingdom, which has been delayed now for ~2000 years. You incessantly use verses other than Paul’s epistles, because those other writers are not going to be writing what was solely revealed to him. They are being written about from the vantage point of what happened to the gospel of the Kingdom, now that the gospel of Grace is in effect.”

First, I often use Paul’s epistles, as evidenced in multiple instances.

Second, you once stunningly took issue with my use of Acts 20 and words directly from Paul to a largely Gentile audience of believers well into his ministry — and likely his letter writing by that point per the 1 Cor. correspondence — because the words weren’t contained in a letter (but were spoken by Paul and were still in Scripture):

The reference was relevant and appropriate, and it still stuns me that this priority exists of division and parsing as it relates to New Testament/new covenant writings extends to this level.

Third, what did the Jewish Bereans — which the writers purport to emulate — do when Paul spoke to them? They “received the word with all readiness, on every day examining the Scriptures, whether these things were so” (cf. Acts 17:11). Remember, this was post-Jerusalem Council and the split of Paul and Barnabas, so Paul’s outreach was well underway and into Gentile Europe. Thus. they referred to relevant Scripture to examine and test the message and doctrine being shared by Paul.

Per a Pauline epistle, “all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16). Like the Bereans and like modern believers, I’m not going to limit myself to Pauline epistles for context and corroboration on these matters when relevant Scripture is throughout God’s word.

• TMonroe says:

“There are two separate and distinct purposes and programs in the word of God. One revealed and one kept secret until revealed to Paul.”

And as I keep pointing out from Paul’s own letters, “the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as now it has been revealed in the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets, that the Gentiles are joint-heirs, and a joint-body, and joint-partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus, through the gospel” (cf. Eph. 3:4-6, or the context for the verses you posted but stopped partway through verse 4). Note that any point about the revelation to Paul being to him alone is informed by the continued thought that it also was “revealed in the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets”.

As asked before, who might those apostles and prophets be, especially as it relates to the timing of the Ephesian epistle? And what is an important implication of all of this joint participation? Also, how does the contrast of “other generations” to the generation existing when the letter was written inform the mattter?

Note how post-ascension and post Pentecost apostle Peter received direct revelation “out of heaven”:

Acts 11:1-10 “Now the apostles and the brothers being in Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. And when Peter went up to Jerusalem, those of the circumcision began contending with him, saying, “You went to men having uncircumcision, and ate with them.” Now Peter having begun, set forth to them in order, saying, “I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision, a certain vessel like a great sheet descending, being let down out of heaven by four corners, and it came down as far as me. Having looked intently on it, I was observing it, and I saw the quadrupeds of the earth and the wild beasts and the creeping things and the birds of the air. And also I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Having risen up, Peter, kill and eat.’ But I said, ‘In no way, Lord. For nothing ever common or unclean has entered into my mouth.’ But for a second time the voice answered out of heaven, ‘What God has cleansed, you do not call unholy.’ Now this happened on three times, and all was drawn up into heaven again.”

Note how the Holy Spirit told Peter to go to meet Gentiles, “not having discriminated”. Note further emphases by Peter of the sameness of the experience:

Acts 11:11-18 “And behold, immediately three men having been sent to me from Caesarea stood at the house in which I was. Now the Spirit told me to go with them, not having discriminated. Now these six brothers also went with me, and we entered into the man’s house, and he related to us how he had seen the angel having stood in his house and having said, ‘Send forth to Joppa, and send for Simon who is called Peter, who will speak words to you in which will be saved, you and all your household.’ And in my beginning to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, even as also upon us in the beginning. And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He had said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ If then God has given to them the same gift as also to us having believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, how was I able to forbid God? And having heard these things, they were silent and glorified God, saying, “Then indeed God has given also to the Gentiles repentance unto life.”

Note how those who did not view the Gentiles as a “joint-body” at first (Acts 11:2-3) appear to have received, after to listening to Peter’s testimony, an important level of “insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as now it has been revealed in the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets, that the Gentiles are joint-heirs, and a joint-body, and joint-partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus, through the gospel” (cf. Eph. 3:4-6).

I’ll repost this about the sameness of the program as it relates to the gospel of salvation by grace through faith. Acts 15:7-11 coveys the message of both Jews and Gentiles being saved in the same manner — by the grace of the Lord Jesus (cf. Acts. 15:11) through faith (cf. Acts 15:9), after hearing the gospel from someone — in this case Peter, who was chosen by God to share with the Gentiles — and believing (cf. Acts 15:7), and God sending into both the Holy Spirit (cf. Acts 15:8), with God making no distinction between them (cf. Acts 15:9). Paul keeps it just as simple and direct in Eph. 2:8-10 as to how one is saved (a gift from God by grace through faith). Both accounts correspond to the same gospel message of salvation.

• Lucille says:

TMonroe and Deplorable Infidel…

…please take this in the sisterly manner in which it is intended. You are both followers of Jesus Christ. As such you are brothers. As your sister, I have a request.

Rather than get into lengthy theological discussions, which, indeed, this thread is NOT for, why not correspond with each other? If you will use the CTH email and ask the mods to place you into contact with each other via email, you may continue your discussions elsewhere to your heart’s content. It would be much more beneficial to you and not off putting to others. As it is, it’s rather a takeover of the thread and not a short item which gives EVERYONE food-for-thought and/or enjoyment.

If all Treepers put forth their ideas and beliefs in lengthy columns and huge blocks of print, it would be a mess, causing annoyance, arguments and discontent. A photo, a link, a title, a sentence or two from the article and perhaps a paragraph or two of your opinion should be able to do it.

And there’s always the option of starting your own blog where you may discuss Scripture, dogma, denominational beliefs lengthily, and pray with each other.

Thanks so much for your consideration!

Lucille

• TMonroe says:

Lucille, were it about a personal back and forth, that solution would apply. As it is, there is the daily presentation on a public thread that represents itself as a short focus on the Bible. I don’t always see a reason to discuss what is posted, but I sometimes do, as it is not a subject to be taken lightly.

Too often, I believe the messages appear to stray from what figures to be appropriate for this space, which one would think would be a basic, straightforward gospel message for those unfamiliar with it, or an encouraging perspective or thought from Scripture for believers.

For example, the article likely to be posted soon — usually at or near the top of the thread — is from someone contending that today’s spiritual leaders don’t put the pieces together of Scripture like he does. One conclusion has to do with challenging the appropriateness of water baptism, the other is another hyper-focus on dispensations, all while implying that he’s the bringer of truth on those subjects while others are blind and/or confused.

If there are going to be strong doctrinal contentions — which even the authors admit are outside the norm — presented as representing Biblical Christianity in such a space, it is appropriate to expect responses. I’ve seen too many groups claiming secret knowledge and such that can throw spiritual shackles on the unsuspecting, and I intend to point to Scripture as appropriate.

As for the content length, I do appreciate your perspective. I try to have an eye towards breaking it up. I tried to respond to each point in separate replies in that regard The best way to have this not as much of a focus is not to have it top-posted daily, but like people who post here or in the presidential thread, you just scroll past when you see the initial post if you’re not interested and look for the break.

Basically, as long as the site allows posts in a comment section that may have misleading or errant content, there will be replies. My continued attention to it is due to it being such a serious matter being presented to those with varied exposure to the subject, and I want people to be as informed as possible — which is an object of the site writ large.

12. Lucille says:

CATEGORY A PRISONER – TOMMY ROBINSON
    11th July 2019

Address during his incarceration…his address will be….
    A2084CG – Stephen Yaxley Lennon (Robinson’s actual name)
    HMP Belmarsh
    Western Way
    Thamesmead
    London
    SE28 0EB

Alternatively, you can use this link to email him quoting his name/prison/number

13. citizen817 says:

14. citizen817 says:

15. citizen817 says:

16. Lumina says:

California, please keep your earthquakes….a 4.4 quake just shook the Seattle area…
    woke up to the loud rumble, not sure if I was dreaming…didn’t last long…

17. Dora says:

See what’s coming next! (Sigh)

=====

American Psychological Association to promote adultery, swinging & orgies

Psychology is already at best a soft, if not outright pseudo, science.

Now the American Psychological Association (APA) is venturing into the non-scientific, non-empirical domain of morality by giving their approval to adulterers, swingers, and orgiasts.

• mandy says:

Isn’t that the group that started the push for acceptance of homosexuality back in 1972? I just saw documents from the wayback machine a few days ago…I may have posted it here, I know I considered it (may have decided against it, I don’t recall at the moment, lol)

• JG3 says:

To be expected from a culture whose “news” should have “X” rating, ever since WJC.

TRAGIC! the damage his and this Epstein episode will do to this generation.

Thank Jesus! we know who the victor is!!

• czarowniczy says:

I remember a prof telling us, back in the early 70s, that the people who majored in psychology were primarily there to find out WTF was wrong with them.

• Pale rider says:

Bingo! Especially, drug and alcohol abuse. But, drug and alcohol abusers, get better.

• czarowniczy says:

The ones that didn’t get better we dealt with on the streets. Now the state of Louisiana is pushing for a law that would allow convicted felons, even those convicted of dealing dope, to have their voting rights restored. Then they can go to voting for the dopes rather than selling it.

• Lucille says:

Mind control is their goal and perhaps a little it of blackmail material. Wonder how much money Jeff Epstein has put into “scientific” research with the APA. That’d be an interesting research project for some enterprising patriot.

18. Dora says:

Nice shot!

19. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.”
    Psalms 85:10 (KJV)

20. duchess01 says:

Jesus Loves Babies…Pray for the Unborn

Jesus Loves the Little Children…Pray for the Little Children

Jesus Loves You…Run to Him

21. nwtex says:

No, nope, nix, unh uh!

• James P Ryan says:

Baseball is a game played by humans, umpired by humans, and watched by humans. I find the national pastime to be timeless, and classic. Missed calls are a very small part of the game. It almost seems like today’s broadcast teams think we tune in to games to listen to them bump their gums, and I dread any changes that give them more chances to weigh in. I just don’t feel the need to inject technology into a timeless classic to appease the sports media world by granting them more access, or furthering their incessant need to create and then exploit talking points.

22. nwtex says:

23. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

24. mandy says:

“22 ancient amphoras found off Albanian coast

A joint Albanian-American underwater archaeology project says it has found amphoras that are at least 2,500 years old in the Ionian Sea off the Albanian coast, which might yield an ancient shipwreck.

The research vessel Hercules of the RPM Nautical Foundation said Friday they had found 22 amphoras — a two-handled jar with a narrow neck used for wine or oil — 40-60 meters (yards) deep scattered around the seabed close to a rocky shores near the Karaburun peninsula.”

more at link:

25. just stevie says:

THE SPIRITUAL SOCIETY

“Till we all come…unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ.” Eph. iv. 13

Rehabilitation means the putting back of the whole human race into the relationship God designed it to be in, and this is what Jesus Christ did in Redemption. The Church ceases to be a spiritual society when it is on the look-out for the development of its own organization. The rehabilitation of the human race on Jesus Christ’s plan means the realization of Jesus Christ in corporate life as well as in individual life. Jesus Christ sent apostles and teachers for this purpose – that the corporate Personality might be realized. We are not here to develop a spiritual life of our own, or to enjoy spiritual retirement; we are here so to realize Jesus Christ that the Body of Christ may be built up.

Am I building up the Body of Christ, or am I looking for my own personal development only? The essential thing is my personal relationship to Jesus Christ – “That I may know Him.” To fulfil God’s design means entire abandonment to Him. Whenever I want things for myself, the relationship is distorted. It will be a big humiliation to realize that I have not been concerned about realizing Jesus Christ, but only about realizing what He has done for me.

[My goal is God Himself, not joy nor peace
    Nor even blessing, but Himself, my God.]

Am I measuring my life by this standard or by anything less?

Oswald Chambers
    July 12th Devotional

• Pale rider says:

Just a thought.
      We grow from adversity. God is a God of adversity, pushing us through, raising us up.
      In times of plenty or rest we have our declines. Our own judgment on ourselves and responsibility to him keep us safe. Religion maybe ( I say that timidly because many religions are heresy) work ethic, morals, family, loyalty, friendship, honesty, cleanliness, kindness, compassion. It takes effort, a form of constant judgment and responsibility.
      As a dad, I was always praying, seeking God to make me like him as to not damage a child. As a husband, looking for ways to say to my wife “You are important to me”. Same as religion, or any one of those responsible acts or undertakings. You must judge your actions and effort. A close friend is someone who cares about you.
      Our society “was” based on those truths because they were always known, written on our hearts. Now, they are shadows, and our society stumbles as blind men.

26. Deplorable_Vespucciland says:

Now that the Labor Secretary Acosta has announced that he will be stepping down next week would like to nominate one Newt Gingrich to the position. That should keep the media jackals busy for a few weeks and let the president get on with his agenda to MAGA.

~~~~~~~ TRUMP 2020 ~~~~~~~

• mr.piddles says:

The Black Helicopter types called. They said: “Told you so”.

• czarowniczy says:

There have been hundreds of attacks on ‘free speech’ by the EU and UN over the last two decades and they’ve escalated over the last ten or so. To me it’s part of the UN’s plan to rip control of the internet out of US hands and put it under a UN agency such as the International Telecommunication Union that manages international the RF spectrum.

There are many nations, especially in Europe, that believe the US’s belief in freedom of speech as it applies to the US controlled internet is incompatible with their countries’ selective censorship. The UN wants control of the internet as it’s become an international complex and with their enlightened management what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

27. NoTwoSystemsOnlyOneChiCom says:

Dalai Lama supporters were wishing him many more birthdays when the PLA, wink, wink, decided to show up on the other side of the river.

28. cheryl says:

Bernie? Did you do this?
    Pot found planted at the Vermont Statehouse flowerbeds

29. mandy says:

This is a LONG piece, but I found it very educational with respect to the founding, history, and honestly, even the beliefs of c. Zionists.

30. getfitnow says:

Good.

FTA – Combat veteran, businessman, and Michigan GOP Senate candidate John James raised more than $1.5 million in just over three weeks, outpacing his opponent Sen. Gary Peters (D-MI).James raised raised the funds over the month since he announced his candidacy on June 6th for U.S. Senate. An analysis shows Peters averaged $200,000 per week while James averaged $400,000 per week in average donations.

31. SwampRatTerrier says:

32. SwampRatTerrier says:

July 12, 2019
    CNN’s Ratings Crash and Burn, Along With Its Credibility as a “News” Organization
    —Ace of Spades

It’s not time to panic.

March was the time to panic. Now is the time for hanging yourself in the garage.

CNN is suffering a credibility crisis as viewership for the once-proud network continues to crater with no apparent plan in place to fix things anytime soon, according to media watchdogs and insiders.

CNN’s audience shriveled in the second quarter of 2019, averaging only 541,000 total viewers, less than half Fox News Channel’s 1.3 million average. But CNN struggled even more during the primetime hours of 8-11 p.m. ET, finishing as the fifteenth most-watched network on basic cable behind networks such as TLC, Investigation Discovery and the Hallmark Channel. CNN averaged a dismal 761,000 primetime viewers while FNC averaged 2.4 million.

The Hill media guru Joe Concha told Fox News that CNN’s freefall may not be slowing…

33. SwampRatTerrier says:

Judge Rebukes Mueller for Falsely Alleging Evidence of Russian Government Involvement In Hack; Muller’s Own Prosecutor Admits No Evidence
    Mueller Testimony to House Postponed
    —Ace of Spades

Gee, I wonder if these things are related. I wonder if Mueller needs time to, um, recalibrate his claims.

So Mueller’s testimony has been delayed a week.

34. Kalena says:

Not sure people will see this, so late in the day. I have a very off topic question, even for the open thread. I have a cataract surgery scheduled in a couple of weeks. I don’t know that many people here where I live because I moved here after being away from my home state for over 30 years.

I am supposed to have a helper with me the day of the surgery (9 AM). I have that arranged with an acquaintance from the office. The issue is transportation. I only fit in my car due to my size and special accommodations we made to the driver side. Not sure I can fit in the passenger side. I don’t trust the volunteer network system that runs transportation buses to/from medical appointments because they are so hard to get a hold of. So right now, my plan is to drive in my car TO the appointment with my helper companion.

My question is, for a one eye cataract operation, how long does it take for the anestesia to wear off? Have any treepers experienced this? My elderly mom was able to walk herself up the stairs into her house after she had her eyes done, but my sister was taking care of the driving at the time. I am just throwing this out there as an option because other transportation alternatives seem to be very complicated and expensive.

35. Sentient says:

Kamala Harris and AOC team up to make it easier for criminals to move into public housing. Siding with criminals over the law-abiding. I believe that’s called an “own goal”.

36. steviedawn says:

Horowitz hasn’t even interviewed Cater Page? Now doesn’t that just fill you with warm fuzzies?

37. cheryl says:

Take a drone tour of Pedophile Island cwhispers.com/unauthorized-drone-footage-of-jeffrey-epsteins-creepy-island-compound-goes-live/#KBStBxseMtyUoD9p.97

38. cheryl says:

Fixed link dcwhispers.com/unauthorized-drone-footage-of-jeffrey-epsteins-creepy-island-compound-goes-live/#KBStBxseMtyUoD9p.97

39. dogsmaw says:

pride noun
    \ ˈprīd \
    Definition of pride (Entry 1 of 3)
    1 : the quality or state of being proud: such as
    a : inordinate self-esteem : CONCEIT
    b : a reasonable or justifiable self-respect
    c : delight or elation arising from some act, possession, or relationship
    parental pride
    2 : proud or disdainful behavior or treatment : DISDAIN
    3a : ostentatious display
    b : highest pitch : PRIME
    4 : a source of pride : the best in a group or class
    5 : a company of lions
    6 : a showy or impressive group
    a pride of dancers

President Donald Trump has sure built a fantastic pride of Patriotism 🙂

Let’s Dance:

40. Going to leave a Late HOT & Muggy afternoon picture of the Sound here in SENC..

Looking around the SENC Coast..

41. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

42. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

43. bessie2003 says:

Great interview. It’s with the author of the book who wrote about the Awan brothers and the congressional computers hacking.