Wednesday May 15th – Open Thread

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

186 Responses to Wednesday May 15th – Open Thread

1. citizen817 says:

2. citizen817 says:

3. citizen817 says:

4. Deplorable_Infidel says:

The Bible Is For You

As we examine the Bible one fact stands out with particular emphasis and clarity: The Bible was written for the people, for the populace at large, not for some special class among them.

St. Paul addressed his epistles to both “laity” and “clergy”: “To all that be in Rome” (Rom. 12), “unto the church… at Corinth… with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord” (I Cor. 1:2), “unto the churches of Galatia” (Gal. 1:2), “to all the saints… at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons” (Phil. 1:1), etc.

When Paul proclaimed the gospel at Berea his hearers did not take even this great apostle’s word for granted, but “searched the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so,” and for this God called them “noble” (Acts 17:11). They were the true spiritual aristocracy of their day. Our Lord, when on earth, encouraged — even challenged His audiences to “search the Scriptures” for themselves (John 5:39).

Indeed, since God has revealed Himself and His plan of salvation in the written Word, we are responsible, each one for himself, to study the Scriptures. When Dives begged Abraham to allow Lazarus to go and warn his five brothers about the horrors of Hades, Abraham replied: “They have Moses and the prophets, let them hear them,” and when Dives urged that a word from Lazarus would be more effective, Abraham answered: “If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rose from the dead” (Luke 16:29-31).

Do not depend upon your clergyman to interpret the Scriptures for you but see for yourself what they say, for “every one of us shall give account of himself to God” (Rom. 14:12), and it will not be enough in that day to say: “But my minister or priest told me…” You are responsible to “search the Scriptures” for yourself to “see whether those things are so.”

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Romans 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

5. Lucille says:

Aviation Update 14 May 2019 – Juan Browne – blancolirio YT Channel
    Atlas Air 3591, Ketchikan Collision, 737 Max

• millwright says:

OK Lucille ! Juan is the brightest new star in the blogosphere when it comes to looking at serious public-service events ! Glad to see his viewership expanding and please contribute to keep that Luscomb flying !

• Lucille says:

He’s a good man and a fine example of American persistence, curiosity, ingenuity and dare I say it…real manhood!…taking care of family, enjoying rearing his daughter and son–helping them to be fearless and all they can be, and caring for his wife.

I don’t remember when he first came to my attention. It was long before the Oroville Dam near-failure. Probably was just happenstance by seeing a YouTube vid of his in the sidebar that looked interesting.

6. Garrison Hall says:

“I’m a Baptist like my daddy and Jesus knows my name . . .” Mary Chapin Carpenter

One afternoon my friend were out for a drive in the country and broke down. We’re both pretty good car-fixers so making a roadside repair wasn’t a problem . . . except we discovered to our embarrassment that we had no tools. A ranch-hand in a pickup pulled up outside the bar across the road and, on his way inside, told us his tools were in the bed-box and to just put ’em back when we got finished. I always think about people like that when I hear Mary sing this song.

7. citizen817 says:

8. citizen817 says:

9. Mandy says:

Ah, such a GREAT white pill! Enjoy!

“UNC Student Arrested, Charged After Attack (Warning: Offensive Language)”

• millwright says:

Mandy: Pity the video didn’t run the full gamut of what this casual UNC facist is going to experience ! I expect her ” educational horizons ” are going to be seriously expanded when she is ” in-processed ” ! Depending upon department SOP, beyond an intrusive “pat down” and before being sent to holding she might get to experience the delights of a vaginal and anal cavity search ! IAC, this young lady is going to learn crime – even in a ” good cause ” comes with consequences !

• This brave social justice warrior boldly stands up for the right to murder her own children. Soon Obammy will give her a medal.

10. Lucille says:

The next time one of your Democrat friends or relatives says he thinks Americans should pay higher taxes, tell him there’s absolutely nothing preventing him from giving money to the U. S. Treasury if he wants to and then hand him a print-out of this…

“Citizens who wish to make a general donation to the U.S. government may send contributions to a specific account called “Gifts to the United States.” … Financial gifts can be made by check or money order payable to the United States Treasury….”

And he can do it every year, too! Or each month! Daily! Or leaving all bank accounts to the Treasury in his will.

11. citizen817 says:

• millwright says:

cit : UGH !!! Restore the bloody thing ! It was beautiful ! Want something more modern ? Build it !

• czarowniczy says:

After watching the restoration of the Cabildo in New Orleans I’m wondering if their problem isn’t wood sourcing? It took an estimated 13,000 mature European oak trees to supply the wood in the 12th century and Europe just can’t match that today. You’d also have to cut and dry the wood, not an easy or quick thing to do. When the Cabildo burned the hardest and longest part of the job was finding cypress trees old and big enough to harvest, and when they did (no easy thing in itself) it took years of careful drying to get the straight and crack-free lumber.

I 110% agree on restoration but I don’t think we’ll be able to make a 100% faithful restoration.

• Actually, I read that France DOES have that much oak available, but you’re right, the eco people are banshee wailing.

• czarowniczy says:

That’s a lot of ancient oak. I’m wondering if the folks who came up with those numbers were looking at all of the oak or the oak suitable for Notre Dame reconstruction?

France has lost a lot of forest to urbanization, agriculture and war. It would be great if the had the oak they needed for an exact reconstruction but even if they did might it not be better structurally and from a safety standpoint to use metal?

• F.D.R. in Hell says:

Looks like it belongs in Dubai. 👿

• Cisco says:

“Eco-Friendly”?
      How about God friendly, not a hunk of junk.

• Bendix says:

I can’t help but think the fire was a convenient way to bring the tourist attraction into line with 21st century globalist values.

I have seen where buildings “in the way”, but untouchable due to historic value, or even zoning, have met with “accidents”.
      The alacrity with which the declaration was made that this was not arson, suggests to me that someone just jumped the gun a little.

The old roof couldn’t have been non-eco friendly, as it existed for quite some time without harming the environment.

• The architectural company that was working on it will have to be bribed a heckuva lot, as experts say that 800 year old oak would NEVER catch fire so quickly, something had to make it burn so ferociously because it is half petrified.

12. F.D.R. in Hell says:

• Original Detroit Art, thanks to Harley Earle.

• F.D.R. in Hell says:

Actually, Harley Earl was overseeing the design of the car and he wanted the up-and-coming designer Bill Mitchell to lower the rear fins by four inches. When Earl went on vacation, Mitchell, who liked the fins as they were, simply raised one by four inches. The trick worked and Mitchell’s 1959 fins stuck.

• Dave says:

It worked! Reminds me of military when men are asked to step forward to “volunteer” for something unpopular, and the guys in the rear take a step back!

• piper567 says:

I met a tree-topper in the Santa Cruz mountains who drove one of these, a mint green convertible.
      He managed to get my cat out of a fir tree…she’d been there for 72 hrs.
      I had Such a Crush on him!
      truly, yes, a work of art…both the car and the tree-topper.

• czarowniczy says:

Welding shop down the road has one for sale along with an early 60’s T-Bird.

13. dogsmaw says:

Over The Sunset Mountain
    Audio only: “Over The Sunset Mountain”, Hillcrest Children’s Home, recorded in the mid/late 1960s. Transferred from the vinyl LP, “He Belongs To Me!.

I’m singing to ya patrick

14. dogsmaw says:

His Hand in Mine – Terry Blackwood and Jake Hess

Terry Blackwood – Heavenly Love

15. Dora says:

Maurice Prendergast‏ – Untitled, 1899

16. Dora says:

Patrick Henry if you check in this morning and happen to read this thread, please know that I am praying for you.

17. smiley2 says:

Colorado Fence Line

oil/canvas

(no date)

Sunday Morning

o/c

(no date)

Kim English ~ American (b.1957, Omaha) ~ Contemporary ~ Impressionism ~ Landscape & Figurative ~ Plein Air painter

more, here…

🙂

18. Dora says:

19. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

20. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.”
    Proverbs 21:23 (KJV)

21. kyblue says:

I’m praying and thinking of patrick. This song is a tribute to him.
    His screen name, patrickhenrycensored, struck a connection cord with me when I found CTH last year because Patrick Henry is one of my ancestors. It wasn’t hard to grow attached to patrick- he radiates warmth, humor and light.

22. kyblue says:

Linda Sarsour, the Muslim activist, has some string criticism of Georgia Gov. Kemp signing the heartbeat law.
    I wonder if this loudmouth troublemaker encourages Muslim women to have abortions.
    And when is she going to be investigated?

• nikkichico7 says:

Whatever she escapes on this earth she will answer for before Jesus …

She will absolutely do three things ..
      1 Pay Taxes
      2 Die
      3 Stand in judgement before Jesus Christ, King of Kings and Lord of Lords … this is certain and settled ..

🙂🤚❤️

23. getfitnow says:

He deserves this!

FTA – It was pure poetic justice that the weather ruined Mayor de Blasio’s latest stunt — turning his plans to preen about his Green New Deal efforts outside Trump Tower into a humiliating debacle inside the building.

Forced indoors by rain, the mayor found his remarks drowned out by lobby music and protesters, some of whom ruined every picture by holding up “Trump 2020” and “Worst Mayor Ever” signs.

24. getfitnow says:

FTA – I am embarrassed to admit that when William Barr became Donald Trump’s Attorney General a couple of months ago, I did not remember that he had been here, done that as George H. W. Bush’s Attorney General back in the previous century.

They did have television back then, however, and students of history, as well as students of politics, can profit from watching Barr’s original confirmation hearings, presided over – drum roll, please – by a younger, much more acute Joe Biden, who, like the poor, we seem to have always with us. It’s a long clip, but very much worth sampling, especially for the adroit, no-nonsense performance of William Barr and mildly challenging but still respectful performance of Joe Biden.

25. Dave says:

A few days ago, I enjoyed seeing some posts on Louis Armstrong here in the open thread. This is my favorite of all his hits, “After You’ve Gone”, that was done in 1929. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlHUqFSDD9A

26. nikkichico7 says:

Responding to Accusation
    MAY 15, 2019

Luke 12:11-12
    11 When they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not worry about how or what you are to speak in your defense, or what you are to say; 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”

When conflict occurs, the natural reaction is to blame someone else and defend yourself. But believers must respond differently. Once, I was publicly chastised for a wrong I had not committed. Thankfully, the Lord enabled me to remain calm rather than react angrily. Praying before doing anything else is the best response in a crisis. When we do, God supernaturally provides that which we can’t muster up ourselves.

Spiritual discernment. The Lord, who perfectly understands the source of every problem, can give us insight beyond our limited perspective. Perhaps there’s been a communication breakdown, a feeling of jealousy on the other person’s part, or a mistake we unknowingly made. The Holy Spirit can show us how to approach our accuser and see beyond hurtful words or actions.

A quiet spirit. Our human nature wants to react quickly so that we can defend ourselves. That’s why we must first deliberately focus our attention on the Lord and experience the inward peace He alone makes available to us (John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful).

Wisdom. Jesus told His disciples the Holy Spirit would give them wise words to say when they faced hostile authorities. He’ll do the same for you. Ask Him to put a seal on your lips until He shows you what to say and when (Psalm 141:3 Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips).

We don’t have to react to criticism with anger and self-protection the way the world does. Instead, we are called to represent Christ in every situation by depending on Him. In responding as He directs, we bring Him glory and cause unbelievers to want to know the source of our strength.
    intouch.org
    Dr. Charles Stanley

27. BigMamaTEA says:

An excellent interview. (approx. 38 mins.) Curtis Ellis being interviewed by “Thought Leaders-the Epoch Times. Very simple, surface-explanation of the China-Trump negotiations…..

28. Dora says:

ChristianMingle loses lawsuit, must now include gay singles

ChristianMingle.com, an online dating service for Christian singles, must start allowing people to seek out same-sex relationships under a judge-approved settlement.

29. Sepp says:

To Ponder

Let me ponder on the Ascension of the Lord Jesus:

1. How His disciples worshipped Him.

2. How they returned to Jerusalem with great joy.

From “The Prologue from Ohrid” by Saint Nikolai (Serbian-born Bishop who reposed in the USA and was a former prisoner at Dachau) for May 2nd.

30. Mandy says:

So in reading around this fine morning, I see lots of ‘rumors of war’ floating about…

Apparently there is a lot of fear out there in some corners of the ‘net over the US moving from economic war (aka sanctions) into the realm of actual boots on the ground war against Iran.

The reasons I’m seeing bandied about for the ‘coming war with Iran’ run the gamut from ‘it’s all about the oil!’ to ‘it’s what Israel wants and we’re their tools!’ Like I said…it TRULY runs the gamut…anyways…

I got to thinking….how does China’s BRI figure into the picture? Looked up a map and yep, there it is….

• andyocoregon says:

If any U.S. military action is coming soon, it’ll probably be in Iraq where Iran has been installing numerous missile launch sites aimed at U.S. installations.
      We’ve pulled all non-essentials including from the U.S. embassy in Iraq. That’s a warning to Iran, I’d say. And they’d better heed that warning if they know what’s good for them.

31. PHC says:

New account, first post will probably go to moderation.
    Some problems with signing in on old account.
    Saying hello and thanking all for your kind thoughts and prayers.

phc

• Katherine McCoun says:

So happy to see you!!!

Isn’t that way we should be with all of family and friends? I see all of my usual treehouse friends posting and while I appreciate everyone’s posts I don’t get excited to see them from any particular person – because I admit take most of the people in my life for granted. I expect to see them. But when I am not sure if I will see someone, then I am delighted when I do.

Helps me understand the 99 sheep at home but the dedication of our Lord for the 1 that was lost. He loves all 100 equally but when one might be lost, He is determined to assure its safety.

I am learning lately to appreciate all of the people in my life and to be not take anyone for granted. When my husband comes home at night or my son wakes up, its not just another routine day/evening. Its one more day I get to spend with them. I don’t want the threat of loosing them to be the time I begin to realize their prized place in my life.

When the days are numbered and short, we become greedy and more, more, More. But have so many now that we don’t always appreciate. I want to appreciate them now with my family, friends and online community v. wishing I had appreciated the people in my life when they have passed.

For some days now I have been purposefully cultivating and developing a habit of gratefulness, appreciation and enjoyment of my husband and son –>> without them doing anything different. This is not out of fear or dread of the future or some kind of gloom/doom hanging over me but in delight of experiencing life with now and knowing, the joy of living and valuing the people God is letting me walk through life with at this time.

PCH – I continue to be blessed by and learn from you and from “knowing” you.

• PHC says:

Reminds me of a good song.
        Forward to 1.11

• Katherine McCoun says:

Perfect. Moved to tears and I have heard the song a thousand times. Loving people in our lives is a daily privilege, a “get to” not a “have to”.

Prayers for you and your family and prayers of gratitude for your example. I have learned so much in the last few months. Life changing and much appreciated. (of course, have learned much and enjoyed your humor re current events and politics as long as I have been reading your comments here.)

I have been around Christians my whole life, including my much missed Mother but I have never seen such peace, faith and proper perspective about transitioning from this life to the next phase of our life with our Lord in Heaven.

Much Christian love to you and your family, Patrick Henry Censored.

• nikkichico7 says:

…. 🙂👍❤️ … you’re a blessing PHC … and God bless you .. and your family ..

Numbers 6:24-26 New King James Version (NKJV)
          24 “The Lord bless you and keep you;
          25 The Lord make His face shine upon you,
          And be gracious to you;
          26 The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
          And give you peace.” ’

Psalm 91:1-2 New King James Version (NKJV)
          Safety of Abiding in the Presence of God
          91 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
          Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
          2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
          My God, in Him I will trust.”

• WSB says:

Beautiful, phc. For the loves of our lives. Yet it is the love that shall always keep them going…long after we may be parted.

God bless, phc.

• Hearing from PHC made my day

• andyocoregon says:

Ah, so it is you! Good seeing you again, PHC. We were all very worried about you.

I had hoped your computer broke, no offense. 🙂

• duchess01 says:

Hey, you! We all missed you! Nice to see you back in action, Pat! Welcome home!

• kyblue says:

Hey patrick…so so good to hear from you. You have made my day & I loved the song. We’ve missed you.

• Junebug says:

Love you PHC. Praying for you. My heart is happy – thank you God. Xoxo

• WSB says:

Hi, patrick!!!!! So glad to see you about!

32. Lucille says:

WordPress.com deplatforms those critical of Islam
    May 15, 2019 10:45 AM By Marc

WordPress.com has deplatformed those critical of Islam. I am very disappointed having been a contributor to the WordPress code in the distant past, and I have assisted in responsible disclosure of security vulnerabilities to them on a voluntary basis in the recent past. I did see it coming though.

33. Dora says:

• andyocoregon says:

I’ve been all but blinded by police officers’ cars at night when they have someone pulled over. Have to wonder if it has something to do with the rise in officer injuries and deaths from temporarily blinded drivers.

34. Dora says:

OMG! This is unbelievable!

35. Kathy says:

BRING BACK SUNDAY SCHOOL
    Student sees nothing wrong with stealing a pro-Life sign [4-minute video] … https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/05/priceless-watch-silly-snowflake-get-charged-cuffed-and-arrested-after-stealing-pro-life-sign-video/

36. duchess01 says:

ATTENTION TREEPERS: PHC citing on the Presidential Thread – 🙂

37. hard masada says:

I make a habit of looking throughout the Net to find young talented individuals. Especially those who do not have a large subscriber/fan base and after careful consideration I donate monthly to them in order for them to work on it full-time. This is one such person, she has originals as well as covers and this is her newest release.

38. andyocoregon says:

Pelosi and Nadler just caused a huge loss of Jewish votes from the Demonrat Party.

39. andyocoregon says:

If my Oregon Governor signs this stupid plastic straw ban law, I’m going to mail her a plastic straw with a short note telling her where she can put it.

40. BigMamaTEA says:

More WINNING! We have CONFIRMATION of Kenneth Kiyul Lee, of California, to be United States Circuit Judge for the 9th Circuit.

Y- 52 – N 45

41. Mandy says:

WOW. I just saw a clip of PAT ROBERTSON from TODAY’S broadcast (I don’t watch that guy and never have – I’m told it’s “the 700 club”).

He OPPOSES the Alabama abortion law. “They’ve gone too far!” etc etc etc.

Wow. wow. wow.

I can’t link it because it’s embedded on another site and I can’t figure out how to do it. I’m sure it will surface on youtube at some point.

I’m guessing this will be right up there with that time John Hagee denied that Jesus Christ is the Messiah in terms of controversy and sending devotees running for the exits. (JMO the Lord God Almighty causes this kind of revelation about what they are from their own mouths; His children will see it and be faced with a DECISION MOMENT. Many will make excuses and continue to support such an individual….but they’ve had that decision moment and employed their own free will to make their choice. Remember, He told us that the gate is narrow….)

• andyocoregon says:

TV evangelists are nothing more than con artists, IMO and he’s one of them.

• wondering999 says:

This is what I saw:
      ROBERTSON: “It’s an extreme law, and they want to challenge Roe vs. Wade, but my humble view is that this is not the case we want to bring to the Supreme Court because I think this one will lose,” Robertson said.

I agree with Robertson. Organizations like “Save the Storks” are changing lives, not by passing punitive laws, but by supporting people in desperate straits. I have seen example after example of social pressure against parents, who have been attacked and hurt. Change hearts, not legal punishments

42. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

43. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Col. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

44. Lucille says:

From The White House….

SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS should advance FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Yet too many Americans have seen their accounts suspended, banned, or fraudulently reported for unclear “violations” of user policies.

No matter your views, if you suspect political bias caused such an action to be taken against you, share your story with President Trump.

45. andyocoregon says:

How AOC got into politics

46. andyocoregon says:

The Catholic Church could end these child sex abuse problems if they would end the practice of horny priests hearing forced confessions from children who are told they represent Jesus.

• WSB says:

IMO, priests should be allowed to marry. As is now, they attract a certain set of candidates for priesthood which is a losing equation.

• andyocoregon says:

Yes, I agree they should be allowed to marry, but I don’t think that would stop the pedophile priests who become pedos once they begin hearing childrens’ confessions and become attracted to them as they can be easy prey. And it’s easy for a priest to groom children for sexual purposes.