Notre Dame Central Cathedral is Lost….

A horrific historic and cultural loss. The 850 year old architectural masterpiece is a central monument to the Catholic faith. A spokesman said the entire wooden frame of the cathedral has come down, and the vault of the edifice could be threatened too. ‘Everything is burning, nothing will remain from the frame,’ Notre Dame spokesman Andre Finot told French media.

The 12th-century cathedral is home to incalculable works of art and is one of the world’s most famous tourist attractions. Pictures showed enormous plumes of smoke billowing into the city’s skyline and flames engulfing large sections of the historic building as firefighters struggled to contain the inferno.

According to French newspaper Le Monde, the fire broke out in the attic of the monument before spreading across the roof. Officials in Paris said the fire could be linked to restoration works as the peak of the church is currently undergoing a 6 million-euro ($6.8 million) renovation project.

The cathedral is still ablaze during the night in Paris.  [More images here]

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Culture, Fire Crime, France, Religion, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

829 Responses to Notre Dame Central Cathedral is Lost….

1. chojun says:

Call me naive or uninformed but I thought that the fire had been burning at ground level. It appears that maybe the under-structure and halls below could be saved if they can get it put out?

At any rate this is a horrifying, terrible cultural loss for all of Western Civilization. My heart hurts for all Catholics everywhere and especially Parisians.

• andrewalinxs says:

The roof collapsed into the building the the outer stone walls of the building is all that is left from the sight of that photo. Its a really bad fire.

• Maquis says:

The heat of such fires can compromise and destroy masonry and stonework. It may well be truly a complete loss.

Si triste.

• JL says:

In that photo, the fire doesn’t appear to be burning at ground level. It appears that while the roof is gone, it’s burning in the attic space above the stone ceilings. I suspect that is not the case now, but best case scenario, the attic and the roof burn away rapidly like matchsticks, and the masonry remains.

• David A says:

At 800 C about 85 percent of the strength of limestone is destroyed at elements within limestone vaporise. I fear a total loss from that night time photo.

It is not unreasonable to question Islamist liability with recent church burnings and the very recent conviction of a Muslim woman who threatened a firebomb at the cathedral.

• Dutchman says:

IF the fire did start in the attic, in a ‘deserted’ cathedral, this is EXACTLY like the church arson described in Ken Follets book “Pillars of the Earth”, hauntingly familiar.
          Heartbreaking and, given the recent history of church vandalism, and threats against Notre Dame, the Catholic Church leadership, and the Pope were woefully derelict, security wise. Hence, if this WAS arson, they and the government will have strong motivations to discount it.

More likely, they will blame it on the yellow vesters.

• bocephusrex says:

Thanks for the reminder—one of my favorite books!~

• Daniel M. Camac says:

Dutchman, Like in the book, here someone wanted to create some architectural work for themselves at the expense of destroying something already beautiful. /Sarc off.
            I thought that was a great book.

• Niagara Frontier says:

Another tragedy is that the world no longer produces men with the knowledge, skills and abilities to build masterpieces like the Notre Dame Cathedral today.

Notre Dame Cathedral was lost today, but the skills that took to build it were lost many years ago.

• bocephusrex says:

I’ve always considered Prince Charles to be mostly obnoxious, but one of his charities promotes these skills–https://www.psta.org.uk/open-programme

• Dutchman says:

Niagara,
        Beg to disagree. With Ken Follets book, “Pillars of the Earth” as a starting point, along with some technical books on church architecture, I could rebuild it, and i’m nothing special!

There ARE people alive today who could rebuild it, just cost a LOT of money.

Probably will be replaced with an Islamic Cultural Center, though as a way to apologise to the muslims, for existing.

And, you know, being a bunch of infidel kefirs,…

• formerdem says:

grief stricken. If this was done by a person then may God grant him the grace of conversion and peace from all his wrongdoing. Lord have mercy. St. Louis pray for us. St. Genevieve, pray for us. St. Joan of Arc, Cure of Ars, St. Thomas, St. Dominic, all the saints of France, pray for us. May we forgive. May the hearts of France be healed. Mother of God pray for the hearts of France.

2. Apollo says:

What a tragedy. My thoughts of course go quickly to terrorism…

• Hoosier_Friend? says:

The very fact that the question is asked, “Was this an act of IslamicTerrorism?” should send a very clear message to the naive.

This possibility is included when the group in question does these kinds of horrible acts regularly.

3. Marcia says:

I am not a Catholic but the loss of all this beauty and history just moves me to tears.

4. Chuck says:

and Islam cheers…….

5. Carrie says:

It’s really a tragedy that this magnificent building withstood wars only to be burnt down in 2019. With such a historic building, I was shocked that the fire brigade didn’t have a specific plan for it in the event of fire. Particularly because so much of it was composed of wood.
    I really hope there is added security for the other cathedral in Rheims.

6. sundance says:

7. BocephusRex says:

Like most other historic cathedrals, many of which have also had major fires—it WILL be rebuilt–if the PC culture in France do not prohibit it—who thinks it was construction-related? Or…….?

• TMonroe says:

And who can trust that process given what they’re blaming on the current “renovation”?

• bocephusrex says:

Just came over the wire: “Paris officials have ruled out arson as a cause’. Boy the arson inspectors I know must be really DUMB since it takes them days and sometimes weeks to determine the cause of fires in a small building—those French must be REALLY smaaahht

8. flyboy51v says:

It’s tough not to assume terrorism … and to also assume there will be very strong political incentive to cover it up. My wife just reminded me of an ISIS attack at Notre Dame in 2016 when she was in Paris with her sister ….

9. Mandy says:

There is video of muslims in front of the burning cathedral screaming allahu akbar. I cannot bring myself to watch it, but it is out there.

• tuskyou says:

I saw that too but there is another version of it without the allahu akbar.

• bakocarl says:

Vengeance is Mine, and recompense;
      Their foot shall slip in due time;
      For the day of their calamity is at hand,
      And the things to come hasten upon them.’

Repay no one evil for evil. Have[a] regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.

10. conservalicious says:

Oh my gosh, this makes my heart sick. I hope this was not a terrorist event but this being Holy Week triggers my spidy senses.

11. TwoLaine says:

It was said it happened at rush hour and there were delayed getting fire teams on the ground. Time they didn’t have.

The question is, what if it was a high-rise building you were in? Does rush hour create a problem?

12. sundance says:

13. JMC says:

A poster on Zero Hedge who has an acquaintance in France who casts church bells says his French friend states the fire is now contained.

14. lolli says:

So, it started in the attic? Ya, I am not buying the “whoopsie” theory.
    Such a loss for the world.

15. Peter says:

France has abandoned its Catholic faith for the most part so perhaps God took away His cathederal.

• MTeresa says:

Honestly, I think you can find some French who are still quite faithful to the Catholic faith. They are few in numbers, but they are there (praise God). I immediately thought this fire might be terrorism. We will have to wait to see if anyone claims responsibility.

The French people need to wake up.

16. zozz1 says:

Are the rose windows destroyed? I have heard no mention of them.

17. bocephusrex says:

Interesting thread on the difficulties of fighting a fire in a place like Our Lady–the photo of the French firefighters on the burning roof is mind-boggling–

• Maquis says:

Bocephusrex, I believe that was not Notre Dame in that pic with Pompiers on the roof. It was an example of a “roof trench” cut through to allow access to a fire. He said Notre Dame was too steep to stand on.

Also, Notre Dame had a blackish roof, slate, I believe, the example pic is brown, quite uniform, likely a composition roof.

Other than that confusion, it was a great thread, very informative, thanks for posting it.

• bocephusrex says:

You know you’re right–Notre Dame’s roof was lead, right? Wonder if that’s now some sort of health hazard now-all that melted lead

• keeler says:

Excellent share.

Thank you.

18. So heart breaking…..😢

19. TMonroe says:

This has been a month where scores of attacks on churches in France have occurred, a woman was sentenced for trying to destroy what now is in ruins — one of the most visited landmarks in Europe, and general unrest has gripped Paris, which some might see as now the land of the no-go zones and the city of lights only by merit of the burning vehicles and buildings for which criminals relatively new to the region have often been the culprit.

Now, this building which represented to many from a particular worldview a symbol of Christendom which was built and stood through countless wars, weather challenges and the like has been decimated. Not the Louvre, not the Eiffel Tower, but a symbol of Christendom.

You’ll have to pardon me if I i unapologetically refuse to default to workplace oopsie when considering how this happened.

(Oh, and when the rounds of comments from officials come forward, feel free to go through the PC priorities on display by government officials and media enablers during previous terror attacks in France and the EU — as well as general investigative issues some allege to have occurred during the Diana crash matter.)

• Judith says:

Did you hear the Cardinal outside of St Patrick’s Cathedral commenting on this tragedy? He said that places of worship are where people bring their happy faces and their sad faces, and this is a sad face.

Talk about an understatement! Is he kidding me?

I am sorry to say that the Catholic Church has gone full on Marxist. The Cardinal reminded me of Big Ears Bush, doubling down on his storybook with that stupid look on his face, as he was informed that the Twin Towers and Pentagon were burning.

They may as well stick their fingers in their ears and yell LALALALALALALA!

• Robert Smith says:

It makes sense to me. Erase the past to usher in the Islamic France.

20. Daveokc says:

As a Catholic way out here in Oklahoma, this feels like a kick to the gut. All the wind has been taken out of my spirit today.
    I am praying for my Christian brothers all across Europe tonight.

21. The lost artwork, religious artifacts, stained glass, sculpture, and other treasures so important to the catholic faith……………….

22. Keeler says:

Looks like the main structure will not be a total loss, per Paris fire spokesman.

Still a catastrophic loss. To put 850 years in perspective, the collapsed portions survived two world wars (three, if we take the Napoleonic Wars into consideration), a siege during Franco-Prussian War, the French Revolution, the various religious wars of the 16th and 17th centuries, and the Hundred Years War.

23. sundance says:

• Fringe Dweller says:

Judging by the 2nd picture, it seems much of the wooden furniture survived at ground level. That’s fantastic news regarding everything else at ground level.

24. richq11 says:

I did read that firemen were able to save almost all of the artwork and relics inside… small consolation compared to a true monument of the Christian faith being lost. Ironically perhaps, today a Muslim woman was sentenced to 8 years in prison for trying to burn Notre Dame down. Could this be retaliation? With churches across Europe under attack by the Muslim invaders, I would be shocked if they weren’t responsible… I would be equally if not more shocked to have officials tell the truth about the cause.

25. anne simon says:

This great loss may alter the course of history, for it will arouse powerful feelings which may affect the outcome of the Yellow Vest movement, and that in turn will affect the fate of the EU.

26. tonyE says:

If the walls stay standing, then they ought to be able to rebuild it with a steel frame. Those flying buttresses are pretty strong. I believe Notre Dame is the best example of that construction. I’m not quite sure that the roof was even needed to keep the walls up. It surely provided some downforce and kept the ceiling up but the walls?

Medieval buildings with wooden roofs burned all the time. Sure it’s a tragedy but look at the bright side, no one died, no one was injured and we will rebuild it. Better and stronger.

27. Chuck says:

My job, before I retired, was restoration work on historic buildings. Very hard, here in the USA anyway, to accidently start a fire on one of these sites. On the other hand we were always chasing people off the sites, particularly in the mornings.

28. Herbert Kroll says:

Le Figaro: “Incendie de Notre-Dame de Paris: la structure est sauvée”. The structure is saved. The North towers had firemen on the roof checking for fires. The North towers have survived for sure.

29. Patricia Weir says:

I hope The Louvre is better prepared. This is tragic.

30. Zippy says:

Hmmmm, maybe “some people did something”?

“Nice cathedral you have there, sure would hate for it to have an ‘accident,’ especially during your holy week after surviving multiple wars and 850 years.”

I’m sure it’s just a coincidence because no one could ever have an intentional “accident” and I’m sure security was absolutely top-notch on the construction site. BTW, how many times was it renovated before France’s current immigrant problems?

It will be interesting to hear the true cause although if it was intentional I don’t think we’ll ever hear it.

31. USMC1833 says:

As they say in France . ALLAHU AKBAR .

• Dutchman says:

And, as we say in the U.S.
      “Just WHO the He!! is “allie”, and WHY do I care they have a SNACKBAR?

• mireilleg says:

I find this comment offensive. Yes the muslims in France rejoice. Not a French person does. I am not catholic and I am an expat but it hurts just the same. Today I feel horror the way I felt it when I saw the first airplane hit the trade center in 9/11. Of course I do not compare the 2. On 9/11 so many lives were lost, so many families were affected. It’s not comparable except for the initial shock. I mourn for my former country, and for all catholics in the world.

32. bigralphie says:

I’m Catholic and one of the landmark structures of the church ‘just happening’ to burn to the ground at the beginning of THE most sacred week of the year for our faith, well….I can’t help but put the tin-foil hat on. Yes, I understand architectural authorities and others have been warning for YEARS of the inherent defects of a predominantly WOODEN structure but…come on. It sounds materialistic to mourn the loss of something physical but this is devastating.
    Doesn’t this water source seem, I don’t know, IN CLOSE PROXIMITY to Notre Dame? And Trump – as usual – is completely castigated for stating the obvious (airborne tankers being used).

• Perot Conservative says:

On a firefighter post explaining how they fight fires, one reply claimed it took 2 hours to get water on the fire?!

• keeler says:

If the fire started in the attic as reported, it would have been extremely difficult to get water *directly* on the fire until the fire had reached the exterior of the building. That may have taken some time.

Thick roofing and all that wonderful scaffolding would have blocked a direct attack from the exterior, and the interior was not designed with modern firefighting access in mind. It likely took some time to figure how to get hosing in range and then deploy the personnel. By then it was probably too late. Structure fire often take less than minutes to create fatal flash over conditions. By the time a plan could be drawn up and implemented, it was probably too late to get up to the attic area.

The structure was also under renovation. We do not know if there was a concern about explosive or combustible fuels (paint, paint thinner, staining, etc) which further complicated a response or how the renovations may have blocked access to certain areas.

The larger questions are 1) what, if they did exist, were the fire prevention measures and fire response plans and 2) how, and why, did they prove inadequate?

• George Hicks says:

Keeler,
          With all due respect, I have to disagree on several points:
          If the Parisian Fire Dept. didn’t already have a plan in place to attack a fire at the Cathedral then they would be completely irresponsible. Every City/Town FD has a plan in place to combat possible situations at the structures in their community, especially the ones that would be more difficult than ‘standard structures’.
          I lived in the highest apartment building in my community and the fire dept. practiced on our building annually.
          The Renovation Contractor would be required to file a ‘Site Specific Safety Plan’ which would be reviewed with the fire dept. and would address the storage location of any combustibles, as well as any changes to egress. Plus, the fire dept. would make visits to the construction site on a regular basis to ensure the filed plan was being followed.
          The fire started due to renovations is just too easy and too convenient of an excuse at such an early time.

• Publius2016 says:

the whole thing…give us a break, ok? We now sabotage when we see it…

The proof will be in the pudding…do they rebuild it???

• Tl Howard says:

Their hoses did not reach the top of the structure.

• George Hicks says:

Looking at all the pictures of the ladder trucks spraying water on the fire, you can see they don’t have the altitude needed to douse the flames. Many news outlets are trying to make Trump look foolish by suggesting an aerial water attack, but if you view the photos and videos, it’s pretty apparent that, that was what is needed, despite the lack of resources.

33. NJF says:

I hope this proves true.

34. paulraven1 says:

Another wake-up call to be met with weepy candlelight vigils. More to come, but you only get so many chances to wake up.

• Mandy says:

I’m so sick of them all….

• mikeyboo says:

“weepy candlelight vigils where stupid idiots take selfies of themselves crying in order to virtue signal how fabulous they are.

I’m so sick of them all….”
        THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. Nigella says:

So far it looks like an accident. It was under restoration work.

36. chzheadproud67 says:

https://twitter.com/EduardHabsburg -hopefully this man is correct..most of the movable artifacts were out of the church due to construction….praying for some good news about this tragedy

37. Scott says:

Now would be a good time for an ontrepid reporter to ask The two congressional muslims what they think of this.,

38. Anon says:

Macron looked like a little boy who wandered to the microphone.

39. GSparrow says:

If the fire was caused by alleged “renovation carelessness” it is one of the worst examples ever of incompetence and irresponsibility. Any reasonably competent Reno crew are fully aware that working on old buildings, let alone ancient wooden structures like Notre Dame, requires extreme planning and maximum precautions.

This is a sad day for everyone that marveled at the structure of “Our Lady” (the blessed Virgin Mary) when we (whether Protestants and Catholic and others) were in Paris. The nighttime Seine River cruises will never be the same again.

Unfortunately, terrorism in France is a reasonable suspect because eliminating all Christian structures in Europe is what a few radical groups of newly invited people to Europe yearn for.

40. Perot Conservative says:

• Concerned Virginian says:

Watch out for:
      ILHAN OMAR will blame POTUS for the catastrophic fire at Notre Dame.
      But that will also depend on how soon the “ISIS claims responsibility / radical Muslim group claims responsibility” tweets start showing up.

41. Metro Hockey says:

I hope it is not, “some of those people” that did something.

42. Publius2016 says:

nothing to see here…move along…Easter???

So much love…and then suddenly, fires everywhere…

43. Justin Green says:

Timing of the fire makes it incredibly suspect.

44. Ilcon says:

Statues removed prior.

45. Carson Napier says:

Democrats, and their Deep State allies, are now furiously meeting behind closed doors, debating whether to blame the Nortre Dame attack on Donald J. Trump and Barron Trump or on Julian Assange and his Cat