Calling attention to the brutally obvious is a key element to President Trump’s use of Twitter.  In this example President Trump (the business executive) highlights how GM is shutting an Ohio auto-plant at the same time multiple auto manufacturers are expanding operations in the U.S.

President Trump is 100% correct.  In just the past few months, specifically as an outcome of the USMCA, six auto companies have decided to massively expand U.S. operations and spend over $20 billion on auto-manufacturing investments in the U.S.

It makes no sense for an existing auto plant to sit idle.  Come to terms with the UAW; make a good deal that helps membership and incentivizes ownership; sell the facility to a new group expanding U.S. investment; retool, and get people back to work.   Consider:

• Toyota –  $13 Billion Investment: Production capacity increases and building expansions at Toyota’s unit plants in Huntsville, Alabama; Buffalo, West Virginia; Troy, Missouri and Jackson, Tennessee. [SEE HERE]
  • Fiat Chrysler – $4.5 billion for a new assembly plant in Detroit and boosting production at five existing factories. Hiring 6,500 workers.  [SEE HERE]
  • Ford Motor Co – New expansion for 500 workers and investment of additional $1 billion in its Chicago assembly operations to help keep up with booming demand for sport and crossover-utility vehicles. [SEE HERE]
  • Volkswagen – New investment of $800 million by Volkswagen and the creation of 1,000 jobs in Hamilton County, Tennessee. [SEE HERE]
  • BMW – Reacting to changes (75% rule of origin) in the new USMCA, BMW announced exploration for a second U.S. manufacturing plant that could produce engines and transmissions, Chief Executive Harald Krueger said. [SEE HERE]

Those announcements are all this year.

It would appear one of the major problems for Lordstown, Ohio, workers is decision-making between GM leadership and UAW leadership that is centered on politics:

A political prism impacting decisions is especially annoying considering it was U.S. taxpayers who bailed out GM in 2009.

Like President Trump said about the blame game “I don’t care“.  In essence he’s calling out the political motivations behind GM CEO Mary Barra, and the insufferable UAW leadership who care about their own political power more than their workers.

It just doesn’t make sense to have an auto-plant idle, and an entire community of trained/skilled auto workers available, while multiple auto-companies are seeking to expand their operations.

The UAW needs to come to the table with a deal that works for everyone, and get the plant retooled and/or re-leased for a new operator and back on-line.

It was this interview earlier today that seemed to catch President Trump’s attention.  The typical labor union/Democrat politics just pours through the screen:

[Note to knuckle-headed UAW boss David Green: 75% of Nothing is NOTHING.  This is why you don’t have nice things.]

This entry was posted in Auto Sector, Donald Trump, Election 2020, media bias, NAFTA, Professional Idiots, Trade Deal, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized, US Treasury, USA, USMCA. Bookmark the permalink.

185 Responses to President Trump Rightly Tells General Motors and UAW to Get Their Act Together – Lordstown Ohio, Auto-Plant…

1. rustybritches says:

Love Our President He has his fingers in all things good

• WSB says:

I saw that Fox interview. It was insufferable. I yelled at the television throughout the entire thing. Then turned on OANN.

• The Devilbat says:

Disconnect the TV. Your life will be a lot happier. I use mine solely to watch old movies from my DVD player. You can get all the news you want from the treehouse and a few other sites. Stay sane, be more productive, save money, cut the damned cable.

• Mark L. says:

I watch TV for golf and baseball, muted

• olderwiser21 says:

Devilbat – going on three years now without tv except as a screen to play my movies on, just as you say. Words of wisdom….

• hoghead says:

I’ve got you all beat! Last tv I watched was Payne Stewart’s private jet flying across country with all aboard dead after decompression. I didn’t go digital with the change over. My old set collected dust for years, until I finally took it to the landfill for recycling.

Blow up your television. You CAN live without it. In the years since then, I weeded the msm crap out as well. They all can take the express to Sheol.

• olderwiser21 says:

Oh, man – that whole Payne Stewart thing was so sad! Funny about the dust – I just looked at the tv in my bedroom cupboard and it is covered with dust as well. I don’t even know the last time I used it. I do miss watching The Masters, though. I loved that!

• The Devilbat says:

hoghead. I tried to uptick you but something went wrong somewhere. What’s weird is that I had no trouble upticking everyone else. Needless to say, I liked your comment. Bat.

• Going on 25 years without watching the National/Area/Local News stations!!!!!!!!!!!

• mike says:

Turned off the TVs in 2004. I’m not paying cable to watch Hollyweed, CNN, MSNBC etc.

• litlbit2 says:

There is a great list on Intellectual Frogleggs if you want news sources. May need to stop or rewind. Great names.

• Pyrthroes says:

TV images are not framed pictures, as in cinema, but dot-matrices dependent on Muybridge’s “persistence of vision” effect to mentally construct moving patterns.

Studies dating from the 1930s have long determined that, although one’s conscious apperception renders TV’s shifting dot-arrays as “motion”, the so-called Deep Mind treats this rote exercise as a sort of “waking dream” hallucination, putting all survival-mechanism (“fight or flight”) systems on strict hold while lapsing into semi-conscious hibernation.

Since the average American adult “watches” (sic) six hours of sleep-inducing moving-dots per day, critical faculties –call ’em “sentient awareness”– uniformly diminish from disuse. Just as nicotine addiction, “smoking”, causes carcinogenic rodenteria (“cancer in rats”), so spending three-eighths (six of sixteen) of one’s waking hours gazing wall-eyed at TV’s dancing-dots conducts one straight to Bellafonte’s “Zombie Jamboree”.

For the record, we gave up TV at age 14 to set off on “roads less traveled”, and never have looked back.

• WSB says:

I would if I were the only one in the house, but to no avail.

I did negotiate my bill down from $150 to $50. That is how desparate the satellite companies are.

• Mr. G says:

Devilbat-cut the cable 2 years ago….one of the best moves I ever made.

• Mark L. says:

I truly felt this story would be buried within all the news of the day. Yes, POTUS has the pulse of the USA at hand! GM is old school. Get your head out of the sand. Times have changed, the world is watching.

• Bert Darrell says:

Mary Barra is an incompetent politician who does not belong at the helm of an automaking company. A smart CEO would know that automakers need to make money to survive and thrive. getting into electric automobiles when gasoline is abundant and reasonably priced was a bad decision made to please ignorant Obama and also crooked Hillary; both global warming hoaxters.

• olderwiser21 says:

Maybe Ms. Barra will be seen soon drinking some wine on the top of a snow covered slope somewhere in Europe with Mr. Macron. You know, celebrating all the little people they have put out of work, etc.

• US car manufacturers stopped investing in design and engineering and spent all their money on marketing. They allowed their profitability to empower unions much as our government does today, relying on future managers to sort out the bankruptcies.
        They’ve all been lying catch up for decades and never quite get there.
        I recall back in the seventies when the car manufacturers were in trouble with the unions demands, that the employee car lots were full of imports. If union members have no loyalty to their brand, how do they expect anyone else to. But of course our divisive world now pits employees against management, making it almost a core principle that the company makes NO money from their efforts.
        Progressivism is suicide.

• Hoop says:

The State of Ohio could throw a Vacancy Tax on ‘abandoned automotive Factory and Plants’ – forcing the sale much quicker – say the Property Tax goes up 10 times etc…. The previous year’s unemployment taxes go up 10 times…. etc….

That would force the ‘owner’ to either sell it or go bankrupt QUICKLY – moving it to new owners QUICKLY – and hopefully to bring it back on line in some format.

• Kenji says:

THIS … is what a President should do! Be a bit of a cheerleader, and prompter of positive actions. Be a peacemaker. Be a Uniter. Be a proponent of American business and jobs. Donald J Trump is going to be remembered as the conservative FDR. I mean that in a very positive way … the Trump New Deal is to empower free enterprise … to empower the American people to be the BEST they can be. Well done, Mr. President …

2. jeans2nd says:

There are so many other plants, jobs, and companies that rely on Lordstown, and not just the little mom and pops and the restaurants..
    Believe me, we here on the North Coast affiliated with Lordstown are feeling the hurt, while celebrating other’s success in new prosperity.

The problem is NOT our union members, the problem is UAW leadership. They suck. Bigly.
    Our union guys are with Pres Trump, and worked for Pres Trump’s election in 2016.

• The Boss says:

Same goes for other unions. Rank and file is with Trump. The executive leadership sucks, Bigly, as you correctly point out.

• COlibertybelle says:

I worked for an electric co-op for several years – it was a closed shop meaning that when you went to work for the co-op, you had to be a member of the IBEW unless you were in management. 95% of union dues went to the democrat party, and the “protection” the leadership was supposed to provide was a joke. Dues weren’t cheap, and needless to say, I was thankful for the opportunity to be promoted into a management position after 2 months with the company. Union leadership really does suck.

• budklatsch says:

We the tax payers bailed out GM and the union because that SOB obama sucked. Not again. I owned Silverado’s for decades until that miscarriage. Never again.

• The Devilbat says:

The old bat drives a Ford F250 pick up truck. Ford never had to be bailed out like GM aka Government Motors.

• Dekester says:

This site is a real treat. Its posters are from all over the U.S. and Canada, and elsewhere. Yet we have so much in common.

Devilbat. I drove a 1979 F250 for nearly ten years, and I bought it when it was 15 yrs. I’ve been driving my 1995 GMC 2500 for the last ten or so.

Our youngest son who is in the car business, just shakes his head at me when I drive on to his dealership. They move a fair number new Dodge Rams and they are terrific rigs, but although we could ford one, there is something kinda fun about driving an older truck around.

That said, when I drive the new Dodge trucks, or the Fords the ride is something else.

God bless PDJT

• Dave Radetsky says:

It’s wrong to just blame Obama. George W Bush was involved, too, and started the bailout ball rolling while he was still in office and Obama simply picked up and ran with it. It was clearly a globalist UniParty deal that put the unions in control of GM. I was a loyal GM customer for years but when the investors were burned in favor of the unions, I vowed to never buy a GM product again. Since that time I’ve chosen to buy vehicles that have far more American parts in them than GM vehicles. Currently, Toyota builds in America, hires American workers to do the building, and uses more American parts in cars like the Camry, etc., than any manufacturer in the world. And, I have to say, the reliability is great and raises the resale value. I’ll buy from companies that support America and at this point, it’s not the so-called American car companies any longer.

• olderwiser21 says:

jeans2 – I have no idea how unions really work, but I am assuming their leaders get elected by the rank and file. If this guy Green is so bad, why does he have the leadership role? Can they get rid of him and put someone else in that reflects the regular guy better or is it all rigged?

• Bill says:

” Can they get rid of him and put someone else in that reflects the regular guy better or is it all rigged?”

Ballot Box stuffing or manufacturing enough ballots to give the desired results. Think about the antics at Wayward county FL during the last elections.

When the criminals run the elections and count the ballots you cannot get rid of them!

• dallasdan says:

Is the executive leadership not elected by the rank and file membership? I don’t know the details of their election/appointment.

• Daniel says:

Nothing highlights the problem with unions quite like this.

• Hoop says:

Michigan became a Right To Work State – it did not end Unions, but ends the MONOPOLY POWER Union leadership has used to destroy factories everywhere.

OHIO needs to go RIGHT TO WORK.

3. Publius2016 says:

Sell the plant, GM or are you under orders from Globalists???

45 calling out two sides of the same coin!

4. booger71 says:

Fox will most likely let Shlep blast President Trump over his Shleppard remark, but he does that anyway

5. rustybritches says:

The President Second tweet is so right on, those people should have been fired off of Fox along time ago and other people put in their time slots but with Fox now being run by a couple of real foolish people Fox rating might not stay as they have been for a while now

6. Milo says:

Maybe Mr. Trump can convince China’s Geeley Motors to take over Lordstown after it closes shop.

7. Danny W. says:

Maybe GM needs a new CEO.

8. booger71 says:

Nissan should buy the GM plant and start making the Xterra again.

9. Sue Fowler says:

A double whammy. The President mailed the scummy union and the odious Shep Smith. I have not watched Fox since Smith’s disgraceful opinionating during the San Bernardino murders.
    Let’s not forget Bush 1 and his part in bringing NAFTA to America.

10. Sue Fowler says:

Let’s not forget Bush 1 and his part in bringing NAFTA to America.

11. ElGato says:

Best President Ever!

12. Charlie says:

Sell ALL assets, reimburse tax payers and re-lease property/plant to a serious business.
    GM abused American tax payers with full support from BO. Remember all the car company’s put out of business during GM tax payer bail out?

• geoffgo says:

Dealerships were selectively closed if they were leaning right. That was Obama;s doing. Don’t forget the screwing the bondholders/preferred shareholders got under the GM bankruptcy. The unions got stolen shares and then sold them to line management’s pockets. Then of course we had crushing perfectly good autos as policy.

• boogywstew says:

Ford weathered the crisis without a bailout. Chrysler payed the balance when they merged with Fiat and GM has never paid the whole loan.

• cthulhu says:

I was once a GM shareholder — not a huge amount, but I did it because I believed in America in a long-term, stable way (N.B. — Also lost money on Lucent, Xerox, and Sears). Just imagine my feelings towards these schmucks…..

• mac says:

Oh, I’m not likely to forget that. It cost me a lot of money. I haven’t had a drink in more than 30 years, but when that worthless, despicable anti-white racist slutpup kicks the bucket, I’m going to celebrate quite heartily. I fervently hope that God consigns him to the deepest and hottest corner of Hell. He deserves every bad thing that could possibly happen to him, because he did his best to destroy the country that generously elected him to its highest office. Whelp.

• Charlie says:

BO is not worthy of heart felt celebration he should be forgotten in the trash bin of history.
          And take the Presidential painting with him. Geezzzzz that thing is UGLY!

13. That company took massive bailout money and then benefitted from government contracts. Get your thumb out of your rear Mary and do something positive for the country or resign!

• Your Tour Guide says:

I’m still firmly convinced that Pontiac and Saturn were
      shut down because of the following reason. At the time, they
      were the only GM divisions with new, potentially
      competitive products. Pontiac G8. Pontiac Solstice.
      Saturn Skye, Saturn Astre . Chevy had nothing new.

Buick likewise. Hummer had been selling well, but they
      axed it for the enviro wackos. Saab had buyers offering
      to take it off their hands, but it would have kept jobs in
      Sweden. Obama helped them pick what was kept and
      what was shut down to do the most damage.

14. Austin Holdout says:

The best way to shame GM (which they deserve) would be to have one of their competitors take over the plant and school GM on how to make it profitable. Would be just like PDJT schooling DC on how to turn the country around. I hope he’s on the phone with Toyota making a deal.

15. Janice says:

Stupid interview. How is this our Presidents fault?

• Dekester says:

Janice, Cuz everything bad is PDJTs fault, and everything good was started by P44, and the Senator with no name is loved in a way that PDJT never will experience.😉

PDJT has really gotten under the skin of his detractors.

Man I so admire your President.

A real man.

God bless PDJT.

• PBR says:

Our POTUS promised the auto workers that their plants would shine again. However, he forgot to mention that they have to do their part.

16. WES says:

This auto plant is a dead man walking and will stay that way! The same goes for GM’s Oshawa plant in Ontario!

Nothing President Trump can do about it unfortunately. It is all about union politics. The union leadership don’t care about their workers one bit! Just like Dems! The union leaders prefers the plant shutdown in alignment with GM CEO! Just like CoC in DC!

No buyer will touch this plant until well after it has been shutdown. The union is the problem. They will demand any new buyer hire them! That destroys any motive for any buyer especially if they are on a tight production schedule. Who wants to be sucked into a legacy situation where you have no control? No one with billions to invest!

This auto plant has no current value for a new buyer. Simpler to build a new factory and avoid legacy legal issues. Life is just too short!

Wish this wasn’t so! Have seen first hand union corruption!

• Glenna McCormack says:

Are you speaking to pollution problems?

• Christine says:

Hi Wes

Here in Australia our entire car-manufacturing industry closed down a few years ago, due primarily to Unions.

The industry was heavily reliant on taxpayer subsidies, with Unions sucking the $$ up. Unioned auto workers had cushy work hours + conditions, on grossly inflated salaries for even menial roles, and huge superannuation + redundancy packages.

About a decade ago (just after the GFC) the global CEOs of the various car companies tried to introduce more flexible work hours with less Union control, to enable the companies to modernise in challenging financial times. Unions refused to allow it.

Coupled with our soaring power prices (they’ve doubled in 10 years since the carbon tax was introduced, so we’ve gone from some of the world’s cheapest power to most expensive), which dramatically increased costs in the energy-intensive car industry, it was all over Red Rover for Australian car manufacturers.

Please send President Trump to Australia to sort out this country’s mess once you’ve finished with him in 2024!

• olderwiser21 says:

Very interesting stuff, Christine – thanks for the view from down under. Hopefully, you will have your own version of Trump by 2024! I think our President is going to need a good long rest by then.

• Christine says:

My pleasure olderwiser. Sundance is bang on – 75% of Nothing is NOTHING.

If the Unions had allowed the workers more flexible hours & conditions (which the majority actually wanted, but the Unions rebuffed them), Australia would still have a car industry.

Interestingly, the non-Unionised car designers remain employed here by the Global car companies (including GM Holden, from memory).

Hey, President Trump can have his good long rest down here! Have you seen how gorgeous our country is for holidays?!

• Dutchman says:

Good reminder; Obama and Dems TRIED, and luckily failed, to get a Carbon Tax, here. How much harder it would have been for MAGA, if he had succeeded.

• Christine says:

So correct, Dutchman!

Australia’s energy/climate change policies over the last decade have been the most economically destructive, fiscally suicidal, environmentally ineffective policies since our country’s foundation in 1901.

USA dodged a HUGE bullet there! As a consequence, you still have cheap energy.

Conservative PM Abbott repealed the carbon tax in 2014, but sadly its 3 year implementation under a Green/Left Government utterly annihilated our energy markets; entrenched a destructive 24% renewable energy target; forced taxpayers to subsidise costly renewables $Billions every year, while shutting down coal mines + coal fired power stations which were producing the world’s cheapest energy.

AND we’re still stuck in the fraudulent Paris Climate Agreement scam.

AND we have the world’s largest uranium reserves, but the Government refuses to consider nuclear energy.

It’s pure insanity. It’s like the Globalist Socialist Elite control Australia, regardless of which Party is in power…. 🤔

• tarheel69 says:

Thats real good information and that’s what the USA has to look forward to if people don’t get there heads out of they behinds and start supporting our President .his MAGA polices have revived our economy and put people back to work . Our President is doing one outstanding job.he’s got the liberials cornered and going to show them what real power looks like.

• tarheel69 says:

• tarheel69 says:

• Geoffgo says:

It isn’t that the workers will demand to be hired by any new owner. It that those workers demand they be hired under the terms of their old union contract; which is of course why GM management is closing the plant.

• frances says:

All the cries of the worker’s wanting too much? Are you aware of the killer salary of the CEO? In 2015 CEO Mary Barra’s compensation for 2015 rose 72% from the prior year to $28 million. When they pay this kind of money to an executive and I assume other senior officers are paid equally well, you begrudge the workers a fair wage?? Trump should be telling the execs to take a cut to allow workers to have a fair and equitable wage, the union may be dragging their feet but with a salary like hers the union may well have valid reasons for their position.

• boogywstew says:

I love the Union workers who hire me, a non union subcontractor, because I’ll work more than 8 hours in a day and for less than union workers. I have NO benefits. There are union shops in western NY … but their “Buy Union Made” attitude disappears when they have to pay.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

I always wondered what happened to the American Auto industry until I went to Shanghai, China on business. The biggest auto plant I ever saw…Huge… .GM..
      Here let me just say…..The Chinese do not drive Chinese cars. They are no god building them at all…..As usual they steal or import the technology.

Mini-vans in China…..All GM…..the Chinese workers ride share mostly because they do not have enough money to buy cars. So the companies provide “shuttle” service in the mini-vans……All or almost all are GM…..Do you ever want to know how many Chinese can fit in a mimi-van……A whole bunch of em….sitting on laps and hanging on the sides…..I got pictures!!
      All the taxis in Shanghai…Volkswagen

So for all intents and purposes it is not only the Unions…..GM does not care because China “IS” their biggest market….
      In the US GM does make their cash on mini-vans and trucks

Complicated Business…….Follow the money….

• MAJA says:

He seemed happy to report that people are selling their homes and leaving the state, as if that were a good thing. How’s Ohio’s budget looking with this exodus of jobs and people? What is dewine doing about it?

• Dixie says:

He named the shutting down of KMart distribution center as a side affect of the plant closing…..like all of the KMart stores everywhere aren’t closing.

17. Betty says:

I am so glad that President Trump jacked up that waste of space UAW boss David Green. I could almost finish his sentences for him. The people who are sticking by President Trump are doing it because of ego. Did that guy get elected by the rank and file?

18. The Devilbat says:

Damned corrupt, communist unions have always worked against the American people.

• Geoffgo says:

Then of course, we had (still have???) the Mob influence across the Union spectrum.
      President Trump dealt with the unions in NYC, and not just the building trades, which is why he’s been so successful as CiC.

19. sDee says:

GM is in deep with the globalists.

This Barra….she follows the globalists’ agenda. That is all.

20. TradeBait says:

Clueless GM and UAW. Synergy is produced when both sides work together, not when they screw each other over. Win – lose never works and the workers are the ones that lose out. Time to get with the MAGA .

21. Zorro says:

I read on somebody’s Twitter that Obamanites, Dem operatives met with GM prez to conspire to use Ohio unemployment as a 2020 issue. There will be no plant reopening.

• Kay Sadeeya says:

I heard also that the Dems., as part of their going full socialism, the logical move is to go full unions, since most unions are affiliated with socialism.

• dallasdan says:

I understand this to be true. Barra closed the plants to spite the President. As usual, people who attempt to humiliate the President are eventually shown to be foolish, corrupt, or both.

22. Kay Sadeeya says:

The difference between Government Motors (GM) and all those others is Obama got involved with Government Motors, bailed out their failed products, tried to get them to make cars no one wanted and allowed the socialist unionists to continue raping the company; just like Britishstan did over fifty years ago with all their manufacturing jobs and killed some pretty good companies.

23. JoeT says:

The president of the local is correct in that he doesn’t negotiate the national agreement. As he said “unallocated ” is legal cover for GM to keep the plant idle. Meanwhile your write up on Ford is only partly correct, they started laying off salaried staff in Dearborn last week. Round 3 off salaried cuts. You should look back at what Bill Ford said about Trump when he was first elected and just how big a gamble on the eco electric cars they are making. Those won’t sell well without being subsidized or regulated into being like the GND calls for . Trump won’t do either

• thesavvyinvester says:

Yes Joe T. Round one @ Ford. This goes on until May/June and many are on pins and needles. The Chicago plant job increases are more about FWD vs RWD, and the Explorer is now being made in the Chicago facility and it is now a RWD platform as it was a design change geared towards towing capabilities of that SUV, aka RWD is a better platform for towing. To me that also screams of a better economy, people are looking at either a boat or a trailer to tow, aka disposable income.

For more on Ford go to the following link, a scathing editorial by Pete DeLorenzo of the Auto Extremist:http://www.autoextremist.com/current/?currentPage=2

24. Drogers says:

No half measures, no focus groups, no testing the waters.
    Damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead … PDJT!
    🇺🇸🇺🇸MAGA🇺🇸🇺🇸

25. corkyboyd says:

Lordstown has been a problem child since its inception. GM designed it to produce substantially more than industry norm of 60 cars per hour. I think it was 75. The UAW would have none of it. As is typical in union-management disagreements of who controls the shop floor, union job actions won out. Some were outright sabotage. Electric systems’ wires were cut. Eventually GM closed the plant as unworkable, only to be reopened as part of Obama’s bailout deal. GM can’t sell it because Ohio isn’t a right to work state. No offshore auto company will touch it.

Trump should put the heat on the UAW to make Lordstown workable.

• olderwiser21 says:

Wow, Corky – so interesting. Thanks for the info.:)

• thesavvyinvester says:

Thank you Corky. I was tangentially employed by a dysfunctional GM subsidiary in the mid 90’s for a very short time and had heard about how militant Lordstown was, but not in this detail as to they why. At the time they were making the Cavalier in that plant and I do remember GM lost $2,000 / every Cavalier Convertible they made…

• neal s says:

There are a few different billboards in North East Ohio falsely proclaiming that “right to work is a lie”. I am guessing that these are paid for by Unions. While it may be the case that the Unions were appropriate at one time, I also think that we are now far past that time, and that the Unions are now a hindrance to the workers by insisting on too many goodies for them all, such that no employer wants to have a factory with Unionized workers.

The Union leadership and blocking “right to work” are stumbling blocks in the way of having any automotive manufacturing in Ohio. I am hoping that PDJT will make this clear to all so that enough people in Ohio will insist on making it into a “right to work” state for the benefit of all.

We cannot get rid of subsidies for electric cars (and solar and windmills) fast enough. If electric cars really are economical, (and solar and windmills) then they should be able to compete fairly in an open market. The fact that these cannot indicate that for whatever reason, the technologies involved have not progressed far enough to make them feasible in general, but only for very certain specific applications. (For example electric vehicles for operation in enclosed spaces or mines, or solar and wind where the locations are far off grid)

Skewing free markets by subsidies leads to bad results. Unions similarly skew the free market for labor and also leads to bad results. Blocking “right to work” is also skewing the labor free market.

• So, your plan is to cut starting pay below the current UAW miserable $15.83 an hour. How many people commenting here are living on Trust Funds and have no clue what workers make in America? You honestly think Apple is good, and Unions are bad. A company makes their phones in China for $100 and sell the to morons in America for $1,200 and they call that “capitalism.” It’s called ho to Tim Cook the books. People whose mom’s give them 7 figure allowances are good people. Ugh!

26. Kay Sadeeya says:

The once all powerful auto-workers unions have cut their own throats. Cars can and will be built entirely with robots soon; and they don’t require health care insurance. Unions were too stupid to not see what they did to England and other countries, who used to make some good products, and learn from them.

Greed kills.

27. citizen817 says:

Trump is like the pyramid symbol on the back of a dollar bill. The all seeing eye top line…
    “annuit coeptis” means God has favored our undertaking. Bottom line “novos ordo seclorum” means “a new order of the ages” to
    signify “the beginning of the new American Era”
    President Trump personifies a new era under God, where jobs are plentiful, America is more secure, and strong growth is leading the way, for the world. He (for the next almost 6 years) sees everything, and knows even more since becoming President. Every thing he tweets is for a purpose. Like the bad trade deals (being reversed) that benefitted GM, Harley, and others…
    Like the dishonest media… same.
    Just looking for fair deals. Just looking for fair and honest press. I, personally, love it when he calls them out.

28. Athena the Warrior says:

Mary Berra is a Crooked Hillary crony and was on her short list to be VP. Of course this is being done to target areas where PDJT won for 2020.

29. wendy forward says:

GEPOTUS is bringing the smack today!!!!!!!!

30. Tiffthis says:

I love how savage he is when he KNOWS he right. Going for the jugular- I bet it works too 💯

31. Troublemaker10 says:

Sherrod Brown chimes in…sides with Union boss (of course), and trashes Trump.

———

Trump says he spoke with GM CEO about reopening Ohio factory

Excerpt:

Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, also weighed in on Trump’s tweet Sunday, defending Green and the union. “Mr. President, Dave Green and the workers at @UAW Local 1112 have shown grit and determination in the face of adversity, fighting for Lordstown from day one. Instead of attacking workers, it’s past time you stood up to GM and joined the fight,” Brown said.

• Snow White says:

This Sherrod Brown is so stupid. PT is not attacking the workers, but the corrupt, evil leader of the UAW. Big difference, but hey when did facts matter to a demoncrat?

32. GB Bari says:

One thing is for sure. This won’t go away quietly. We will here something big about this situation well before the 2020 election. Whether or not the Lordstown plant will reopen remains to be seen, but Ohio won’t lose out in the end. PDJT will see to that.

33. maga2004 says:

G.M. and UAW still want to believe that Obama and HRC are running the show. They still believe that, any day now, Trump will be politically tarred and feathered and run out of D.C., because that is what their puppet masters continuously tell them.

It reminds of a woman I used to work with who was married to an abusive man. Her son tried to tell her that he was also abusing him, pointing to his blood splattered on their kitchen wall. She refused to believe him, because if she did, her whole world would collapse.

34. Ray Runge says:

This is an ill advised take by POTUS. Youngstown and neighboring Lordstown have recent history of a similar illness. That is, both unions and management are in bed together to increase the cost of production. Basic industry and manufacturing in the Youngstown area has been afflicted by the socially entitled illness for some 40 years. I know. I left in 1978 when the best job to be had was unemployment benefits.

Compound the residual cultural malaise with GM building less than competitive products at Lordstown is the message that needs to be heard. Youngstown is a beautiful city with remaining infrastructure of schools and parks and road to delight any would be manufacturing prospect. The entitlement illness is real and residual beliefs will make pressured re start of a manufacturing facility a less than desirable bet.

35. My prediction is that this is a non-starter under GM ownership. Both Barra and the union are dug in. Unfortunately this means the workers lose out…it would be interesting to see how much $$ the union leadership has made over the years.

Union manufacturing is quite difficult to manage profitably. As others here have pointed out, it is not just heavy wages and pensions but also work rules that greatly inhibit productivity. Current MAGA economic renaissance depends upon productivity and willing workers. Union bosses insert themselves between workers and mgt to neither’s benefit.

In my banking days all the auto cos were clients; I learned a lot about the character of each of the big 3 here. GM, historically made its biggest $$ from the finance arm and that was where leadership grew. Barra was sold as a manufacturing/engineer type but looks like a go-along Dem via her decisions. Chrysler was always the most engineering oriented; Fords were proud of staying independent but Wm Ford became more eccentric over the years. Very ego led. Meanwhile Chrysler benefitted greatly from the energy and intellect of Fiat leaders; so far despite Marchionne’s death that is continuing.

All said, though, we were amazed when we went car shopping last year at how incredibly well made the Cadillacs are now…so somebody is doing something right. And these vehicles are made at the Spring Hill TN plant.

36. Anon says:

Local news in Detroit spun the initial news from GM saying “everybody is shrinking in these economic conditions, Ford and Chrysler will have to do it as well soon.” And it wasn’t “opinion” pundits saying it, and it wasn’t on the local antiTrump WXYZ ABC affiliate.

Local news is often the same msm garbage. Barra was Obama’s choice for CEO, a donor. Don’t forget Obama let auto companies and the city of Detroit go bankrupt after mocking Romney for saying it.

• Anon says:

Lost all respect for UAW leadership when they reendorsed Bill Clinton just after he passed NAFTA. And then endorsed Hilary after Trump called for ending NAFTA. WTF is wrong with them. Battered Wife Syndrome?

37. CountryDoc says:

He mentioned $30/hr for plant workers. That is more than many RN’s make in Tennessee a little less than what Nurse practitioners make. I wonder how much the other plants are paying. Local cost of living will adjust. They need to quit holding out, or they will keep the plants from being able to make competitive products. I love how the union leaders always wear pullovers to make them appear like one of the guys on the line. I wonder how much Mr. Green makes, including his under the table and “Perks”. His body language was of someone whose speech is controlled before he even got on the air.

38. Fools Gold says:

Hey Ohio, look at this map. All of the reps. they voted for in these states will welcome these jobs! But it’s up to the workers in each state to keep them. The POTUS don’t give you the right to work. That’s by choice. By the way this ain’t 1886.

39. concerned3 says:

The Ford Foundation
    Pay special attention to the last part of this video, the date and their intention. Did they accomplish, what was promised? If so, then I submit that this issue Mr President does not seem to be limited to General Motors.

40. Perot Conservative says:

When will Elon Musk / TESLA open a second plant?

One medium-sized plant in California can’t possibly take on a) new SUV model?; b) new high-end model; and c) sales growth.

• Alligator Gar says:

I’d like to see Elon sell his interest in Tesla and focus solely on SpaceX. The guy is a brilliant, if eccentric, engineer. My son is a big fan as am I. Is Elon a great role model? Uh, yeah, no.

He’s a basket case, but a genius basket case. I really admire the guy.

41. concerned3 says:

Are you Funding Sanctuary Cities and Illegal Immigration? Companies You Support Do! See some names you recognize? No, Mr. President, their is more to this problem. Cut off the funding, right?

CORPORATE SUPPORTERS OF LULAC AND LA RAZA

Ford
    GM
    Hilton
    Mars N.A.
    Mead Johnson Nutrition
    MillerCoors
    Nat’l Cable & Telecommunications Assoc.
    Nissan

Pfizer RxPathways
    Pharmaceutical Research and
    Manufacturers of America
    Polsinelli
    Procter & Gamble
    Prudential Financials, Inc.
    Raza Development Fund (RDF)
    REACH Healthcare Foundation
    The Raben Group, LLC
    The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
    The TJX Companies, Inc.
    The University of Kansas
    The Walton Family Foundation
    The Wyss Foundation
    Third Sector New England, Inc.
    Time Warner Cable
    Verizon Foundation
    Viacom
    W.K.Kellogg Foundation
    Walgreens
    Walmart

42. My Magic Wand says:

Having worked a decade in GM dealerships located in areas that had high concentrations of GM UAW workers, if any business ever NEEDED to go bankrupt GM was IT!!!

I had (RIP) a lot of family members who worked mostly at GM plants, these family members BRAGGED about how little they did at work. “The union says I only have to produce X number of parts a day and I can do that in 2 hours and I read the rest of my day”.

They (family UAW’s) wonder why jobs were leaving???

I can’t understand why. /S

I am not sure what the other 3 Assembly plants were producing but as I see it Lordstown was producing a throw away product that was only produced to meet CAFE standards of BHO.

I am not sure they ever sold all of those Cruz at even below cost to produce prices, the policies of the government FORCING the meeting an average CAFE standard just INCREASED prices of products that were WANTED like SUV’s and crossovers. The price of building an econo-box was just included in the price of the SUV they never HAD to sell them, just produce them to meet applicable average CAFE standard for their fleet.
    SMH

“All of the products currently assembled at those three plants — Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6, Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Cruz and Chevrolet Volt — are scheduled to stop being produced for the U.S. market by the end of 2019.” credit to Car & Driver

After finding the above quote from C&D, those are all passenger cars on the base model end in my book and being produced for CAFE standards, the 2 Cadillac models I’m not sure on tho. Certainly the VOLT is only being produced to boost CAFE average since its electric, what kinda credit on CAFE do they get for that?? -100 mpg?? In Cadillac’s CT-6 online brochure it does not list its MPG rating with any of the 3 engines available for it, I’m guessing what they stick in a bunch of them is the 4-cylinder turbo for CAFE tho.

The “authority” Snopes claims that there are no big car parks of unsold vehicles
    it is total BS as a manufacturer paid just about everybody in our town(in the ’90’s) with large vacant parking space 4 bucks a day to store excess vehicles for them, employees were forced off our own lot so they could park more of them for the storage fees. The vehicles were finally removed after a few months, unknown to me what happened to them, I’m guessing they were not sold tho, more likely scrapped maybe exported.

43. millwright says:

All of this supposes the UAW has ” the best interests ” of its membership formost in mind. IPOF that’s not congruent with the UAW’s past ! The UAW, like the AFL-CIO, the UMW,and even the UFW have a history of manipulation of contracts and workplace actions more beneficial to union executives than the rank-and-file ( a commonly-accepted union term denigrating the dues-paying membership ) worker they claim to represent . Nor is that ” representation ” on a shop-by-shop basis so plants where labor is content are still ( if not highlighted /targeted ) subject to “shutdowns” to make the point ! Nor is this practice one-sided, which is PDJT’s point !

44. noswamp says:

Trump is telling GM to get out of the way for the true investors in America: Toyota.

GM will sell to Toyota or reopen it’s plant and sell its own vehicles, one or the other. I call it the TRUMP squeeze.

45. wodiej says:

Let them stay closed and a more reputable company use the facility to build something else. Unions are run by mob bosses. Employees have been caught on tape smoking pot and drinking on their breaks. Regular incidents of work slowdown to get paid overtime. A person in a factory should not be making more than a nurse, teacher or anyone with a bona fide college degree.

46. I cut the cable after 2016 President election,won’t miss it all,
    Trump is Best ever had,support Him 100%,
    GOD bless Him,

47. USMCLt says:

Call me a sexist misogynist if you will, but it’s going to take a real man to turn around General Motors. Maybe a Barry Mara….nah, that doesn’t work.

48. Ausonius says:

Concerning union workers not understanding that getting paid for 8 hours yet producing for only 2 hours eventually will result in disaster…

When I lived in Toledo, a company in the early 1990’s had a unionized work force. The company was struggling, yet the union went on strike and demanded more money. The company opened its accounting books, said that it needed to cut the work force and become more efficient or go bankrupt. The union claimed that the company was lying and went on strike.

The company went out of business within weeks. I still recall the shocked union workers being interviewed on local television, talking about how the company had to reopen and be fair to them.

Reopen? HOW?!

And even more bizarre, literally FOR MONTHS after the company expired, the union hired picketers to sit in lawn chairs outside the gates of the shuttered factory and hold signs saying “ON STRIKE”!!!

So yes, unions will cut off the noses of their members and move on to ruining another company.

49. snellvillebob says:

Unions are a parasite that kills it’s host. They are the reason why Detroit is a ghost town. To compete the companies had to move out of state due to many state regulations, prohibiting moving within a state, to dispose of a union. This is why GM shut that plant.
    After decades of economic extortion and regulations a union plant such as GM will be paying more in other costs of employing a worker, than that worker takes home before taxes, SS, Medicare etc. are deducted from their paychecks. GM is competing with companies who employ workers at 1/4 the cost or less and they have to compete.
    Mostly it is not the salaries of the workers that drives companies away, it is the COST of employing them. When one plant closes, the other plants in that area have to increase their payments to the union pension fund to keep it liquid. So what happens when 94% of the plants move, leaving one plant to support the pension program for both their and those who decided to retire?
    1950: 20,000 union machinists in local 68 of the AFL/CIO between San Francisco and San Jose.
    1984: 1,150 union machinists in local 68 of the AFL/CIO between San Francisco and San Jose.
    That is a 94% loss of jobs. Detroit is most likely higher.

• Your Tour Guide says:

The Moraine, Ohio plant was the newest GM plant around
      Dayton. Dayton was begging them to keep it open. The union
      managed to kill the deal. Where it sat is now a race track/casino.

One of the eight GM plants closed in Dayton.

• sDee says:

“Unions are a parasite that kills it’s host.”

Globalism does not need unions.

With unions now nothing more than an outdated wealth extraction scheme, fat private sector parasites have all jumped to new hosts and new sectors.

Globalism has enabled broader wealth extraction from America’s working/middle class, rural/farming and non-Union areas. The globalists use their “state capitalism” model to extract wealth via slave-labor based economies, like those of Mexico, China and other parts of Asia. Who needs Unions any more?

Regulatory schemes in insurance and heathcare are also more efficient ways to extract wealth from a very broad spectrum of American production/industries.

Government unions keep the gears well lubricated.