Saturday February 23rd – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

223 Responses to Saturday February 23rd – Open Thread

1. citizen817 says:

It’s 🐈 Caturday!

• wendy forward says:

Magnificent!

• cthulhu says:

Fun little factoid…..both lions and tigers have the genetic capacity to be larger than they are. Lions carry their maximum size limit on their female sexual chromosome; tigers carry their maximum size limit on their male sexual chromosome……so when a male lion breeds with a female tiger, their offspring — the liger — is larger than either.

They don’t occur in nature (because their native habitats are so far apart), but ligers are the world’s largest cat.

2. citizen817 says:

Another Caturday…

3. citizen817 says:

Happy 🐈 Caturday

4. citizen817 says:

#GratefulLikeGary
    #ThankYouGary

• Rynn69 says:

None of those media people give one iota about America. To peddle the vile propaganda 24/7 over the last two years and pit American against American is all the proof you need.

That said, God Bless Gary Sinise for his tireless work. A true patriot.

• angellestaria6674 says:

Ok, there you went and done it and made this ole guy’s eyes well up!

Thank you, Citizen! Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this video of real heart, love, devotion, courage and 1000 other synonyms to that effect.

May God bless Gary for his generous life of giving.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Awwh angel…..so I sense a teddy bear underneath that hard shell?!

• angellestaria6674 says:

Yeah, BMT…it does come out and make an appearance sometimes for special occasions.

I thank God for that because without it, I would have been a stone-cold heart a long time ago. He knows how to keep us balanced amidst the cruelties and wounds of life. He is afterall, a God of lovingkindness and mercy!

Bless you and yours today.

Btw, between the music and humor, Treepers had some fun here last night.

5. citizen817 says:

6. montanamel says:

Mark your calendars… March 2nd … Start date.
    Oathkeepers org is going to the southern border for a long-term stay…
    Human line to stop border invaders…remain in place, camped out…
    South of Eagles Pass, TX.
    ROI’s will be issued when you get there…

IF you can’t come yourself – consider a donation via their website…
    Membership drive is on right now too… nice items in lottery for new members.
    Level headed like-thinking US Citizens are invited to join…
    You do NOT have to be LEO/MIL/1st Responder to join…
    AND…it’s way warmer down there than up north!
    Check-6

7. trapper says:

Seventh Sunday after Epiphany

8. Garrison Hall says:

I have to say I’m a bit smitten with Kat Edmonson. It doesn’t hurt at all that she like Lyle Lovett, but what really counts is that she likes the kind of music that transported me out of my small-town doldrums when I was a kid and introduced me to a wider and more sophisticated world. I was the kind of kid who’d sneak back into the living room at 1AM, long after my parents were asleep to watch “Playboy After Dark”. Kat would have fit right in there. Does anybody remember Playboy After Dark?

• rashomon says:

I remember as it was the one offering highlighting this style of music. We used to have lots of little piano bars tucked into alleys and basements around Chicago’s near north. Low lights, intimate spaces and friendly crowds. Good memories.

• Texian says:

I used to do that as a boy.. Except it was Mom and Dad’s classical music albums.. I of course had never heard them before because those songs sure were never on my portable transistor radio..

Two of my faves were Liebestraum by Franz Liszt and Danse Macabre by Saint Saens..

I kind of felt a little guilty listening to Danse Macabre.. Being a Catholic boy.. Because even back then I could tell that song sure was not “Catholic-ly”..

9. Lucille says:

Happy Caturday…

10. Garrison Hall says:

Happy Caterday, Treepers!

11. Pondering says:

Does anyone else think kamela Harris colluded with smallet about the fake attack to push her anti-lynching bill? Passed the day after the “attack.” I would not be surprised and the public has a right to know if she was involved.

• cthulhu says:

Considering that the bill had a four-factor test to be a “lynching” and the Smollett BS had each of the four factors? Yeah, I’m thinking that it’s coordinated.

• Jim in TN says:

I am torn. I doubt anybody would look into possible contacts unless Smollett confesses and rats them out. But those Senators sure did take advantage of his publicity ploy.

The key will be in his earlier letter hoax. Did the letter check off the same four factors? He reputedly did the second hoax because nobody was playing up the first hoax. But that includes the people in his TV show. They supposedly were mentioned as not hyping the threat letter.

Lots have written that he did it to get more money. But I have also heard that he has never asked for a raise. On the other hand, keeping the show alive could be the way to get more money. He was auditioning for a play. Did he think the show was ending and thought the hoax would give it the publicity needed to increase viewers and keep the show alive?

Either way, Booker and Harris, or saving the show, he seemed desperate to get more publicity, so he pulled a second hoax. Who knows, maybe they will show both hoaxes were planned from the start.

Whoever was behind the plans, there were many potential beneficiaries. Not all had to be in on it to benefit. Just look at the way the media played it up for ratings while using it to attack their enemies.

But don’t forget who the real intended victims are. President Trump and his supporters. Not the Senate. Not the city and people of Chicago. Us.

• Bendix says:

I think absolutely, because Jussie otherwise had absolutely no reason to come up with this absurd stunt on his own.
          Yes, his motivation was anti-whites who support the president, which makes it a hate crime in my book, but this act went beyond all reason to portray a crime that doesn’t happen anymore.
          If he had showed up in tar and feathers, after having been ridden out of town on a rail, and close pals Kamala and Corey, who just happen to want to run against the candidate of the Trump supporters he was attempting to defame, had just come up with an anti-tarring and feathering bill, it could not be more obvious.
          Kamala’s motive was that she is running against Donald Trump. It was a campaign dirty trick.
          All parties involved are really stupid and of an entitled mindset, so the chances that they didn’t leave all kinds of evidence are very low.

• auscitizenmom says:

Absolutely!

• Linda K says:

Is Kamala’s number on his phone? Or Cory Booker’s, another choice subject? It would seem Jusse would be more careful if political players were involved but if they are, I am sure Bernie supporters, or the powers that be that want them gone, will out them.

12. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Did Christ Suffer in Hell?

The simple answer to this question is no.

The erroneous teaching goes like this: After His crucifixion, the Lord’s body was placed in a tomb, and His spirit went to hell. There He suffered all the torments of hell that we would have suffered. But Satan, death, and hell could not hold Him. Acts 2:24-27 is used to support this position: “Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that He should be holden of it. For David speaketh concerning Him…Therefore did My heart rejoice, and My tongue was glad…Because Thou wilt not leave My soul in hell, neither wilt Thou suffer Thine Holy One to see corruption.” It is taught that because Christ was not Himself deserving of punishment, the Lord was resurrected from hell and the grave by the power of God. Some will even go so far as to say that you have to believe that Christ suffered in hell to be saved.

This is a dangerous doctrine. It is actually an attack against the Cross of Christ. The word “hell” in Acts 2:27 is translated from the Greek word hades. Hades is in the center of the earth. At the time of Christ’s death, it had two compartments: Abraham’s bosom and torment. We see this in the account of the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31. After they died, Lazarus was in paradise in Abraham’s bosom (v. 22). The rich man was “in hell [hades]…in torments” (v. 23).

Christ fully faced the judgment of God against our sins upon His Cross during the three hours of worldwide darkness (Luke 23:44). As He did, Christ experienced the realities of hell at the Cross: separation from the Father, darkness, torment, thirst, and the fire of God’s wrath against sin. He was our blessed Substitute at the Cross; He paid sin’s penalty for us and took God’s wrath in our place. When Christ cried out, “It is finished” (John 19:30), He meant that the payment for sin was complete and paid in full. To say that Christ also needed to suffer the penalty for sin in hell for three days and three nights is to teach otherwise.

For three days and three nights our Lord was in the center of the earth (Matt. 12:40). We learn where His soul went after He died when He told the believing thief on the cross beside Him, “Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with Me in paradise” (Luke 23:43). He did not go to hell when He died. He did not suffer in torment in hades. His spirit descended into the paradise section of hades where the spirit of the penitent thief went also. Three days later, He rose again from the dead, triumphant over sin and death!

By Pastor Kevin Sadler

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

Acts 2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
      25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
      26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
      27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Luke 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
      20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
      21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
      23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
      25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
      26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
      28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
      29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
      30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
      31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Luke 23:44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.

John 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

• angellestaria6674 says:

That is absolutely correct.

And this too, Jesus executed the mission of preaching to the spirits in prison, that is, an order of spirits who were disobedient. I believe they were that group of chained, fallen angels who betrayed and left their first estate. I think the Scriptures give us adequate material to fairly conclude that without a lot of confusing debate. Until someone shows me something different, or something I’ve missed in the Word, I don’t see my thought changing.

• Jim in TN says:

Seems to me that looking upon what happens to us when we do not accept him would be a form of great suffering.

But does this mean that we can wait until after we die and still ask Christ for salvation?

And/or does it mean that all must go to hades, even those that rely on Christ for salvation?

(Excuse me for wandering off into the weeds. Who(or what)ever was with Christ in hades, we know it includes one repentant sinner who died with him, and who accepted him on the cross. We also know that Christ told Mary after the resurrection that he had not yet ascended to his Father. John 20:17.)

13. andyocoregon says:

Larry King interviews Jussie Smollett on Not CNN. 🙂

14. Lucille says:

Bunny Berigan & His Orchestra – I Can’t Get Started (1937)

I’ve flown around the world in a plane
    I’ve settled revolutions in Spain
    And the North Pole I have charted
    Still I can’t get started with you
    On the golf course, I’m under par
    Metro Goldwyn have asked me to star
    I’ve got a house, a showplace
    Still I can’t get no place with you
    ‘Cause you’re so supreme
    Lyrics I write of you, I dream
    Dream day and night of you
    And I scheme just for the sight of you
    Baby, what good does it do?
    I’ve been consulted by Franklin D
    Greta Garbo has had me to tea
    Still I’m broken-hearted
    ‘Cause I can’t get started with you

• RyderLee says:

Lucille , What a Wonderful Song 😊

• Lucille says:

Love Bunny! I was reminded of him recently when reading comments for a YouTube featuring Louis Armstrong. One of Berigan’s grandsons mentioned that Armstrong had admired Berigan’s playing. This song is mostly what Berigan is remembered for. Not a bad way to be remembered! And the lyrics are a hoot!

• Dora says:

That’s beautiful.

Thanks Lucille for all the 30s music you posted for us this week.

They are all great tunes.

15. nimrodman says:

series of photos at imgur

16. cthulhu says:

I think Insty’s totally wrong about this — https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/322612/ .

If this were some bunny ranch out in Nevada, with 22-year-old showgirls looking for sugar daddies, I might sympathize. But there are echoes of penumbras of foreign-source trafficking, underage girls, girls that don’t speak English to ask for help, and girls confined to the premises. I’m looking at the 48-hour rule before declaring things better or worse.

• cthulhu says:

As an example of how much worse things might get, think “try before you buy.”

48 hours.

• Jim in TN says:

I find it totally ironic, that this comes up as the left is attacking some appointee for hardly punishing the people involved with the lolita express.

I so want that appointee to start listing everyone he was protecting, starting with Bill and Hillary.

Meanwhile, Kraft is vile because he committed simple misdemeanors. And we start alluding to sins that suggest he would have fit right in with the express crowd.

Maybe Kraft is that bad. This is the first I have seen of such charges despite his being one of the most hated men in football.

The only thing I am sure of is that so many of the Bill and Hillary and Obama crowd are that bad. Yet they all get an eternal supply of get out of jail free cards, both in the press and in the justice system.

And poor Kraft isn’t even allowed the benefit of the doubt on these misdemeanor charges before we smear him with charges like what these Democrats do. But he must be guilty. He supports Trump.

How long before they use this to take away his team?

17. citizen817 says:

18. Lucille says:

A number of people have expressed the belief that they are getting smaller tax refunds this year and the newly lowered taxes are not helping them as promised. The following article should clear up the confusion.

Lower tax refunds show how the Republican tax cut is keeping money in your hands all year
    By Chuck Grassley and Kevin Brady, Opinion contributors – Published Feb. 20, 2019

The size of your tax refund has nothing to do with your overall tax bill. It merely reflects what you overpaid the IRS in your paychecks last year.

19. smiley2 says:

Leopards On The Lookout

oil/canvas

(no date)

Snow Leopards

o/c

(no date)

Silent Watchers

o/c

(no date)

artist : Arthur Wardle ~ British (London, 1864-1949) ~ Realism ~ Animals & Wildlife painter..

more, here…

🐱

20. Pointman says:

Looks like Toleration ceases to be a two-way street when you turn off Main into Dissent. In passing, she looks very happy.

Pointman

• smiley2 says:

Martina !

arguably, one of THE BEST female tennis players ever…

she moved like a spider on the courts.

awesome backhand and serve…and net playing.

tremendous athlete.

big fan here…loved to watch her play.

and she helped a lot of people with the sport.

nobody can take that away from her.

21. Dora says:

Norwegian Forest Cat

22. nwtex says:

Those poor, poor children! Children should not be used!!! They should be allowed to remain children and stay away from matters they are too young to understand. Shame, shame on the adults and young adults for doing this to the little ones. Sheesh they are either wanting to kill them in the womb (and also immediately after they leave what was designed to be the safest place on this earth) or indoctrinate them.
    I may be incorrect but going back into the recesses of my mind I vaguely recall the nuns, in grammar school, telling us that the Communists use children to further their objective.

• nwtex says:

^The chick at the 1:01 mark is a dolt. I’m happy Feinstein did a smack down (of sorts) on her. Dolt.

• GB Bari says:

That woman on the left is truly of the Left. She is polluting those young children’s minds with propaganda and lies. Where are the parents? Are they also at the same level of ignorance as the brainwashed young woman?

God help our younger generation who are being turned into idiots with little to zero understanding of factual reality. Life will be harsh for them in the real world, full of shock and disappointments as their false education and misguided preconceptions are steadily and unmercifully buried by reality.

23. nwtex says:

• smiley2 says:

SSDD…

• Dave says:

“We’ll start with all the sewage, deposited by the city’s homeless, that is cluttering our sidewalks and store entrances! I promise to remove all the corn from our drinking water too! We’ll also outlaw plastic water bottles, which harm our sewer rats! Residents must drink our recycled “water” direct from the tap! This is for your own good!”

24. nwtex says:

25. smiley2 says:

North Side, Chicago + Ugo Okere

who ??

Ugo Okere…

Dem Socialist candidate for Chicago’s 40th Ward Alderman (City Council)..

21 yr old Nigerian immigrant, Loyola grad…wants to be one of the first Black Alderpersons on Chicago’s North Side…

Chicago Dem Wants Socialism To Have “Control Of Every Single Facet Of Out Life”

Feb 22, 2019

endorsed by the Dem Socialists of America, Burning Sanders, and Ocrazio…

…and not just total control politically but also over our relationships !

FTA,,,”…through a socialist lens, in how we treat people who are brown, who are femme, who are non-binary, who are gender-nonconforming and…working class.”

(((sheesh)))

…and it’s not enough to want to just “reform” the existing order…like the mainstream Left…but rather to “radically transform the way the world works.”….(like a good commie)..

he brags about being an ORGANIZER

#Sanctuary4All …

Ugo Okere

#Sanctuary4All Day Recap…. Feb 2019…

FYI

26. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
    John 1:17 (KJV)

27. Dora says:

The memorial fight will reach the Supreme Court on Wednesday. Since “you know who” is said to still be alive and on the court, I don’t have too much hope for a good result.

============
    War memorial or religious symbol? Cross fight reaches U.S. high court

28. Dora says:

We Americans can ask ourselves the same question.

29. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

30. Dora says:

Instead of people being horrified at this killing (like me) the idea seems to be spreading. Yikes!

31. duchess01 says:

32. getfitnow says:

And the last line speaks to all the dem hopefuls. Good review on Sen Harris.

FTA – What trips up Kamala Harris is an evident desire to please her audience. She wants no enemies to her left, no identity politics left untouched. She can’t run as a prosecutor—crime fighting is so 1990s—but she can run as brash, bold, and woke. Her verbal miscues are possible evidence that this latest political fashion doesn’t quite fit. She has made a habit of making unforced errors, and the game is only in its first month. Harris’s Democratic opponents may be too blinkered or bashful to exploit this weakness. That will not be a problem for her Republican opponent.

33. getfitnow says:

FTA – The Smollett verdict is not yet in, so I am not ready to convict. But the story at its core was hokey and raises questions broadly in at least two areas:
    (i) What’s with all the Left-wing cruel and vicious hoaxes that depict very good Americans as racist, sexist, homophobic, and xenophobic in order to tar-and-feather conservatives in general, and Caucasian heterosexual male supporters of President Trump in particular?
    (ii) What’s with the compulsion to be seen as a victim?

• Facts says:

Polls show more and more blacks favoring Republicans. The MSM is using the Smollett hoax in an attempt to reverse this drift in the polls.

• angieunderground says:

Why the compulsion to be a victim? Secondary benefits. Victims are never to be held accountable for their choices, including the choice to use fists or harsh rhetoric, because THEY are the victim, not YOU. Victims are entitled to a free pass for everything, because they are so victimized. Victims get to designate who their oppressor is, and must be believed. If you try to prove you are not _______(racist, sexist, fill-in-the-blankist) that is just further oppression of the poor pitiful victim. Some victims are so traumatized by their victimhood that your mere existence is enough to retraumatize them, so if you insist on remaining alive, you must keep a respectful silence at all times.

• amwick says:

Dear getfitnow,
      I believe it is simple, something known as hatred. *sighs

34. amwick says:

This was in the twitterverse, I saved it for today… Take a close look at the little faces, take a deep breath, repeat… 🙂

35. No reason, just because………………

36. duchess01 says:

The Truth About the ‘ISIS Bride’

37. wtd says:

Under the guise of “mental health” ….now prescribing suicidal insanity:

“Cultural Humility” training scheduled for Feb. 28 in Poughkeepsie

“. . .The training is open to the public, but seating is limited and preregistration is required.
    Cultural humility is a willingness to suspend what a person knows, or thinks they know, about other people based on generalizations about their culture. Led by Department of Behavioral & Community Health Psychologist Christopher St. Germain, the program will take a look at historical influence on our cultural perspective, teach the importance of recognizing the culture of others, and review why cultural humility is vital.” . . .

And it only gets worse:
    Outrageous!!
    The Pedophile Project: Your 7-Year-Old Is Next On The Sexual Revolution’s Hit Parade

• nikkichico7 says:

Disgusting … and … watch you’re back … always be ready to

1 Peter 3:15 “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:” King James Version (KJV)

… need a big push to get rid of the commie teachers … 🤨👍‼️

38. nikkichico7 says:

Brokenness: The Plan
    FEBRUARY 23, 2019

1 Thessalonians 5:21-23
    21 But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; 22 abstain from every form of evil. 23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Humans are born “bent away” from the Lord. Our natural inclination is to please and serve self, which is the opposite of a God-honoring lifestyle. When we become believers, our Father begins to bend our will and ways back towards Him. But we must cooperate and yield to the process; otherwise, we are of little use to the kingdom.

The Lord wants to eradicate every thought pattern and activity promoting dependency on anything other than Him. This means that relying on oneself for security, salvation, or physical and emotional comfort are outside His will. Actions that advance a person at the expense of others are also ungodly.

In areas where we resist bending toward the Lord, He may break us by allowing pain into our life. As a result, we are driven to Him in surrender. To break a person may sound harsh, but God does this work in love. He sees beyond the hurt to the outcome—we will be more mature and faithful servants for having walked through trial (Rom. 8:28). And our loving Father takes each hard step with us, offering guidance and comfort. Seeing the benefits He has brought about through my own hardships, I can honestly thank Him for every period of brokenness I’ve experienced.

The truth is that we all have areas of self-focus that need to be bent or broken by God’s hand. When we honestly look inward to discover wrong habits and thought patterns, our heavenly Father will bring them to our mind. Then, we must surrender to His work in our lives so we can become wise and useful servants.
    intouch.org
    Dr. Charles Stanley

39. dogsmaw says:

40. trapper says:

Thought you might find this interesting. The Essay of the Day on DNA is blow-your-mind fascinating:

So, if DNA testing is not as infallible as we thought, how many of these guys we are releasing from prison based upon decades-old DNA samples, despite possibly having been convicted based upon eye witness testimony, may actually be guilty, despite non-matching DNA tests? Hmmmmmm……

• Bendix says:

That’s what I’ve been yelling about for years.
      It’s DNA theory, and it’s still questionable.
      It only works one way as well.
      Remember how the DNA in OJ’s SUV didn’t mean anything?

Related to that is the case of the Central Park Jogger. The media tried to use that against candidate Trump, as he allegedly called for the execution of innocent young men “of color”.
      Ann Coulter blows that out of the water:
      As well as the assertion that the boys were “exonerated” by lack of DNA evidence:

“While it blows most people away to find out that none of the suspects’ DNA was found on Meili, the whole trick is that they’re looking at it through a modern lens. Today, these kids’ DNA would have been found all over the crime scene. But in 1989, DNA was a primitive science. The cops wouldn’t have even looked for such evidence back then.”

• Jim in TN says:

Why are only half my genes like my father’s genes if 98% of my genes are the same as that of a Chimpanzee?

That pseudo science has been telling us fables for a long time. I especially like claims such as ‘only one person out of 800,000,000,000 could be a match. Completely unreal. With only 8 billion people alive, and probably not much more than twice that having ever lived, that is a flat out lie. Besides, how many people could have possibly donated? A lot less then the 1/3rd of a billion in this country.

The lie comes from treating each gene tested as being truly independent. We inherited them, and spent lots of time in tribal groups. Not a recipe for random independence of variables.

Take sickle cell anemia, Neanderthal, and Denisovan genes. I can say right away that those genes will be strongly correlated with African, European and Asian populations, respectively. Each gave local survival advantages. Natural selection is the opposite of random independence

41. dogsmaw says:

42. dogsmaw says:

So this showed up right before the weekend in an interview piece from the awards in the UK, I dont like the artist but can name it If I have to {hint:in the link} 😛