Saturday January 12th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

202 Responses to Saturday January 12th – Open Thread

1. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Are You a Servant of God?

“Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle…” (Titus 1:1)

Did you ever wonder why Paul, an apostle, began his epistle to Titus by first referring to himself as a servant, the Bible word for a slave? Well, it helps to learn why the apostle opened two of his other epistles this way.

First, he identified himself as a servant to the Romans (Rom. 1:1) because Rome was the capital city of the Roman Empire, and the citizens of Rome were used to owning slaves, not being slaves. Paul himself had been born with all the rights and privileges of Roman citizenship (Acts 22:25-28), yet he was humbly willing to acknowledge that he was a servant of God. So in writing the saints in Rome, the apostle introduced himself as a servant to remind them that they too might be free citizens, but that “he that is called in the Lord…being free, is Christ’s servant” (I Cor. 7:22).

Paul also introduced himself as a servant to the Philippians, where two of the ladies were feuding (Phil. 4:2), and everyone in the church was taking sides. When they received Paul’s letter, they probably thought that he was going to take a side in their squabble and settle it in so doing. But rather than siding with either faction, he made it clear that he was writing to them “all” (1:1), praying for them “all” (1:4), thought highly of them “all” (1:7), longed after them “all” (1:8), rejoiced with them “all” (2:17), and wished them “all” well (4:23). His marked and repeated use of the word all in this epistle shows that he refused to take sides in their feud. Instead, he told them to get on the Lord’s side, saying,

“…be likeminded…being…of one mind…let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God…took upon Him the form of a servant…” (Phil. 2:2-7).

When two believers are not of one mind, the only way they can become of one mind is to let the mind of Christ govern their lives—the Christ who “took upon Him the form of a servant.” If you have a dispute with a brother in Christ, I can tell you whose side Paul would be on. He’d be on the side of whoever was willing to be the other one’s servant. Lowliness like that will solve any and all disputes, but it is high spiritual ground. But then, isn’t that what you have in mind when you sing “Lord plant my feet on higher ground?”

Finally, the reason Paul called himself a servant in addressing Titus was because Titus was an intimidating man (II Cor. 7:15). Spiritual leaders like that sometimes need to be reminded that the strongest leaders of men are nothing more than servants of God. Titus might have been a tough man, but that’s not what made him fit to pastor a church. His fitness was found in his willingness to be a servant of God and lead His people in serving Him by example, and not by force (cf. I Peter 5:3). I’ve heard horror stories of pastors who act like little Napoleons—and some of you have lived such horror stories. Men like that would do well to remember the humility Paul displayed when he referred to himself as a servant, and stop dominating the faith of God’s people (II Cor. 1:22), and “by love serve one another” instead (Gal. 5:13).

By Pastor Ricky Kurth

Titus 1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

Acts 22:25 And as they bound him with thongs, Paul said unto the centurion that stood by, Is it lawful for you to scourge a man that is a Roman, and uncondemned?
    26 When the centurion heard that, he went and told the chief captain, saying, Take heed what thou doest: for this man is a Roman.
    27 Then the chief captain came, and said unto him, Tell me, art thou a Roman? He said, Yea.
    28 And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was free born.

1Corinthians 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord’s freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ’s servant.

Philippians 4:2 I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.

Philippians 1:1 Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:
    2 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
    3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,

4 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy,
    5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;
    6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.
    8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Philippians 4:23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen. <>

Philippians 2:2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
    3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
    4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
    5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

2Corinthians 7:15 And his inward affection is more abundant toward you, whilst he remembereth the obedience of you all, how with fear and trembling ye received him.

1Peter 5:3 Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.

2Corinthians 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

2. citizen817 says:

It’s Caturday!

3. Deplorable_Infidel says:

HAPPY CATURDAY TREEPERS!
    (BigMamaTEA insert stretch kitty here)

4. citizen817 says:

More 🐈

5. Payday says:

I just listened to today’s Dan Bongino podcast. Everyone should listen to it. He really connects the dots on today’s breaking news on spygate. I’m starting to wonder now if this whole border issue isn’t a giant democrat/swamp false flag event to soak up all the media airtime to prevent this info from getting out. Rational people know it’s insane to stand against a border wall.

6. Garrison Hall says:

7. Lucille says:

Caturday Jokesters…

8. citizen817 says:

9. Troublemaker10 says:

Dwayne Johnson says that report on his snowflake comment was fake news. Never said it. Never even had the interview.

10. boogywstew says:

Any opinions on “Trumpy Bear” ? Anyone here own one or seen one in person? I don’t own one or even seen one nor have I bought one.

11. Lucille says:

NEW LEGAL STRATEGY CONSIDERED THREAT TO FACEBOOK
    Social media company ‘may pay through its digital nose’

The Hollywood Reporter reports a prosecutor in Illinois has outsourced to a private lawyer the enforcement of the state’s consumer protection law in a class-action lawsuit against Facebook alleging unfair and deceptive conduct.

12. Lucille says:

Alpha radiation startup eliminates 70% of cancerous tumors
    January 3, 2019 By Brian Blum

Now going into clinical trials for specific types of cancer, Alpha Tau’s technology shows potential for treating any solid tumor.

13. smiley says:

Join In….

🐱

14. dogsmaw says:

15. Beverly says:

Hello, Treepers. I have a prayer request.

My dear friend Edith, 64 years old, was diagnosed yesterday with metastatic lung cancer (tumors also on spine; lymph nodes). She’s in shock and I am too.

She lives alone, 5th floor walkup, NYC. Family in San Diego. Please pray for her. She also needs to find God before she goes.

love, Beverly

• Lucille says:

Prayers said for Edith, most assuredly. And prayers for you that you can be of the greatest comfort to her.

Be sure to put this request on the Prayer Request thread at the top right corner of this page. Lots of prayer warriors over there.

God bless you!

• amwick says:

She is blessed to have you as a friend.

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

I am praying that Edith will accept Christ as her personal savior. John 3:16
      Great that she has you for a friend.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“She also needs to find God before she goes.”

“Salvation

We believe that man is saved from eternal punishment, and is justified freely by grace through faith in the sacrificially shed blood of Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary (Romans 3:21-26, Ephesians 2:8-10, I Corinthians 15:1-4). This salvation is a totally undeserved “free gift” bestowed upon all who simply believe (Romans 5:12-21, 4:5). Everyone who believes the “gospel of the grace of God” (Acts 20:24), is eternally saved from the wrath of God and the power and dominion of sin.”

(“More” tab, than “About” tab)

16. andy says:

its real:

17. smiley says:

Cat’day …nothing’s impawsible

🐱

18. smiley says:

Germany and The Middle East…

Putin, Merkel Agree To Coordinate Syria Peace Efforts Amid US Troop Pullout

Jan 11, 2019

they agreed in a phone call to “coordinate efforts”…

“The desire was expressed to advance the political processes in close coordination with the United Nations , in order to solve the Syrian crisis in the long term”, says the Kremlin, according to the article.

Merkel and Putin also discussed “the formation of a constitutional committee for Syria…”

19. Dora says:

This is Love.

20. smiley says:

Impeach Tlaib !

Petition Surpasses 150K Signatures

Jan 10, 2019

152,588 signatures, to be exact…

“and gaining fast”

not just her foul-mouthed profanity and atrocious anti-Semitism but also serious allegations about her fraudulent residency claims where she used her father’s Detroit address…where she never lived….instead of her own Dearborn address….fraudulent…she did and does not live in that District.

she lies…..with a huge arrogant grin on her huge face..

she’s a foul-mouthed ant-Semitic Trump-hating liar.

and she can’t “apologize” her way out of it (imo) because that would be a lie, too.

21. Dora says:

When Hubby and I visited Paris in 2015, we stayed for a few nights in the hotel right across the street from this bakery.

Early each morning, we could watch the men baking bread in the kitchen and smell the delicious aroma.

YIKES!

====

PARIS BLAST Paris bakery gas explosion: 12 people fight for life after massive blast rips through French capital and horrified witnesses flee

Firefighters pulled people from the burning building on Rue de Treviso after the blast at about 9am local time

22. smiley says:

she’ll be back…somewhere…on the News…sometime soon…

…but not at NBC…

Megyn Kelly Finalizes NBC Exit, Will Get Remainder Of $69 Million Deal

Jan 11. 2019

“…said to be between $25 million and $30 million…”

we’ll be seeing her, she says.

23. amwick says:

Happy Caturday!!!!! Tennis today, hopefully, if the rain stays away..

24. smiley says:

LIVE from central Paris now, following “gas leak” explosion…

25. amwick says:

My Uncle passed this along in an email.. I have been ticked off about this for a long time.

Letter to My Boss:
    I have enjoyed working here these past several years. You have paid me very well and given me benefits beyond belief. I have 3-4 months off per year and a pension plan that will pay my salary till the day I die, and then pay my estate one year salary death bonus and then continue to pay my spouse my salary with increases until he (or she) dies and a health plan that most people can
    only dream of having i.e. no deductible whatsoever!

Despite this, I plan to take the next 12 -18 months to find a new position. During this time I will show up for work when it is convenient for me. In addition, I fully expect to draw my full salary and all the other perks associated with my current job. Oh yes, if my search for this new job proves fruitless, I will be coming back with no loss in pay or status.

Before you say anything, just remember that my colleagues and I have set this up so you have no choice in this matter. I can, and I, and my colleagues, will do this. This sounds unbelievable, but it does, and will continue to happen! Thanks to you!

Sincerely,
    Every Congressman and Senator, including those running for re-election!!

I would have included Governors on the list… Just think about the time any elected official takes to run for president, and wonder how they are doing the job they get paid for

26. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
    Matthew 5:3 (KJV)

27. nikkichico7 says:

The Landmine of Pride
    JANUARY 12, 2019

Proverbs 16:17-20

The Christian life is like a long walk that begins at salvation and ends in heaven, and along the way are obstacles to overcome and dangers to avoid. One such hazard is the spiritual landmine of pride. It is like an explosive device that’s been buried in the ground to cause great physical harm—pride may lie hidden and unrecognized in our heart, causing great spiritual damage in both our life and our relationship with the Lord.

Our enemy Satan lays spiritual landmines in our path to trip us up, and one of his most effective ones is pride. Therefore, it’s imperative that we learn to detect it quickly in order to guard against sin. Often we are slow to see and admit that we have a problem with pride, because it tends to hide behind feelings of inadequacy.

Whatever the form, pride is all about self. It may be displayed with loud self-promotion or quiet self-reflection, but the root is the same. It’s a vain attempt to fill an area of personal emptiness. But God alone can fill that void, and the only way to come to Him is in humility.

Proverbs 16:5 says, “Everyone who is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord.” That’s why we cannot serve Him while clinging to our own self-importance. When God is given second place in our life, the work of the Holy Spirit is hindered. Then we make foolish mistakes because we are focused not on Him but on ourselves.

The key to overcoming pride is to fix our eyes on God and the depth of His character. He alone is worthy of all exaltation.
    intouch.org
    Dr. Charles Stanley

• nikkichico7 says:

Joshua 1:9 New King James Version (NKJV)
      9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
      Jeremiah 29:11-13 NIV

John 10:27-30New King James Version (NKJV)
      27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

Isaiah 49:16 New King James Version (NKJV)
      16 See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands;
      Your walls are continually before Me.

John 16:33New King James Version (NKJV)
      33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will[a] have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

1 John 4:4New King James Version (NKJV)
      4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

28. nikkichico7 says:

Happy Caturday

🧐 .. optically looks like kitty is literally …. ummmmm 😐 … 💨

29. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

30. wtd says:

Extraordinary photos of Jane Austen’s family are discovered https://mol.im/a/6580879 via @MailOnline

31. Bob at Wendys says:

Tariffs not raising consumer prices
    Brietbart article

32. duchess01 says:

Tiny House Designed To Be Elderly / Disability / Mobility Friendly

• Mandy says:

Nice place! One thing to be aware of, isolation is not a good thing for most people. This lady has family right there and dropping in all the time – so she is not isolated. A single elderly person without family being basically ‘on site’ might not do so well even with all the accessibility features.

• duchess01 says:

Agree – not for everyone – think she was talking about privacy – independence – family near – she appears to be very happy with her new home – every convenience she needs – 🙂

• Lucille says:

Agree totally, Mandy. If you are single, without family near or at all, friends dying off, and isolated to boot…not good.

Sometimes even friends of many years begin to lose touch. As is my custom, I send Christmas cards to those without email and Christmas emails to those who do. This year one of my oldest friend’s card came back as “addressee unknown” though she’d lived in that same apartment for 30 years. Admittedly I’d not been in contact with her since February. Her close friends in the city where she lives are dead, at 85 she’s no longer employed, relatives are gone, phone no longer in service, no email, no notice of death.

This is the reason my relatives have a list of those to notify in case of my death…emails and addresses and phones of everyone who should know when I leave this mortal coil. I know I’ll see my friend again in heaven, but still not knowing what happened to her in this world is disturbing.

• auscitizenmom says:

I think this is really nice, but it would be like a trailer in Florida and I won’t live in a trailer because of the storms here. Also, I like the country and if I were like her and living near my family, that would be good.

• duchess01 says:

It is a personal decision – not everyone can live in a tiny home – but, she appears to be happy with her new digs – beats living in an apartment in the city – yes?

33. czarowniczy says:

And this AM I awakened to my local Fox – FOX mind you – station running yet another poof piece about furloughed Federal employees.

This one highlighted Trump being in New Orleans on Monday and how Federal employees who’ve been laid off will be outside of the Convention Center protesting being laid off and his building the wall…guess whom the majority of protesters will be? Interestingly they’ve had a slew Fed employees on TV criticizing Trump directly – this by people who in many cases couldn’t expect to receive a comparable job from a civilian business that has to make a profit to survive.

TheFox also had a piece by the local food bank that talked about how they expected laid off Federal workers to be applying for food benefits as their pantries empty. No, they haven’t had any apply, they ‘expected’ some to apply.

Then there were the ones wringing their furloughed hands about missing this month’s mortgage payment and losing their homes and apartment dwellers who were whining about being evicted if they don’t make this month’s rent. Our Fox station didn’t mention that the tortuous Louisiana and city process for eviction would take mortgage companies and landlord quite a while to work through even if they wanted to go up against the Feds and state who’d both make the process even more difficult for them.

This brings me right back to: these folks don’t have backup funds? I retired from that huge USDA center these employees are mostly from and when you first sign in as a newbie and each time the prospect of a layoff pops up you’re cautioned to have backup funds on hand. This isn’t only due to layoffs but, as Katrina showed, you can be caught without a paycheck quite easily. To prevent things like, during Katrina, the working stiff agency employee bobbing broke in the water, the reminders are a regular thing. This is an important issue the supervisors, and their families were relocated at taxpayer expense to nice digs in Texas, northern Louisiana and other places while many of the workers and THEIR families were just abandoned to their fates. They’ll still be abandoned but the agency doesn’t want them to be broke. But I digress.

So now Fox is getting news feed straight from the DNC? They’ve covered this layoff, favoring the furloughed while ignoring, or mildly panning, the reasons behind it. It looks to me as if Fox is getting the same prescribed feed as the rest of the MSM and just chipping most of the sharp edges off to make it easier to swallow.

34. andyocoregon says:

Signs of Nancy Pelosi’s Dementia.

35. thegoosefish says:

Cute French video I saw on Zero Hedge. Of course, anti-semitism; anti-whatever is being used against the Mechantes (the bad people); aka The Deplorables. Interesting comparisons.