The Third Sunday Of Advent, Gaudete Sunday

Advent Wreath 3The Latin word Gaudete means rejoice.  Rejoice Sunday, as we prepare for the birth of the Christ Child in our hearts.

Reading 1ZEP 3:14-18A

Shout for joy, O daughter Zion!
Sing joyfully, O Israel!
Be glad and exult with all your heart,
O daughter Jerusalem!
The LORD has removed the judgment against you
he has turned away your enemies;
the King of Israel, the LORD, is in your midst,
you have no further misfortune to fear.
On that day, it shall be said to Jerusalem:
Fear not, O Zion, be not discouraged!
The LORD, your God, is in your midst,
a mighty savior;
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
and renew you in his love,
he will sing joyfully because of you,
as one sings at festivals.

Gospel Lk 3:10-18

The crowds asked John the Baptist,
“What should we do?”
He said to them in reply,
“Whoever has two cloaks
should share with the person who has none.
And whoever has food should do likewise.”
Even tax collectors came to be baptized and they said to him,
“Teacher, what should we do?”
He answered them,
“Stop collecting more than what is prescribed.”
Soldiers also asked him,
“And what is it that we should do?”
He told them,
“Do not practice extortion,
do not falsely accuse anyone,
and be satisfied with your wages.”

Now the people were filled with expectation,
and all were asking in their hearts
whether John might be the Christ.
John answered them all, saying,
“I am baptizing you with water,
but one mightier than I is coming.
I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals.
He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
His winnowing fan is in his hand to clear his threshing floor
and to gather the wheat into his barn,
but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.”
Exhorting them in many other ways,
he preached good news to the people.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to The Third Sunday Of Advent, Gaudete Sunday

1. GB Bari says:

Thank you Menagerie!

May you, Sundance, Ad Rem and your families enjoy the blessings of this season!

2. MaryfromMarin says:

“Gaudete” — Libera

• Shelley Keith Childs says:

Gaudete, gaudete, Christus est natus
      Ex Maria virgine, gaudete

Tempus adest gratiae, hoc quod optabamus
      Carmina laetitiae devote redamus

Deus homo factus est natura mirante
      Mundus renovatus est a Christo regnante

Ezechielis porta clausa per transitur
      Unde lux est orta salus invenitur

Ergo nostra cantio psallat iam in lustro
      Benedicat domino salus regi nostro

Gaudete, gaudete, Christus est natus
      Ex Maria virgine, gaudete

He was born, Christ is born
      The Virgin Mary, rejoice

The time of grace we have prayed
      Songs of devotion

God became a man and Nature wonders
      The world has been renewed through the rule

Ezekiel passed through gate
      Hence the light of holiness is found

Therefore let our songs of joy
      Praise the Lord our

He was born, Christ is born
      The Virgin Mary, rejoice

• pacnwbel says:

Libera, imho, is one of the finest boy choirs, such a pity they have to grow up, but what a wonderful experience for them in those few precious years of pure voice.

3. Julia Adams says:

Prepare our Hearts and Minds O Lord as we ask you for your Grace. We prepare for this week by feeling his joy.

We move through this week feeling a part of the waiting world that rejoices because our longing has prepared us to believe the reign of God is close at hand. And so we consciously ask:

Prepare our hearts and minds and remove the sadness and iniquities that hinder us from feeling real joy and hope, which your presence Lord will bestow upon us. Amen

4. Snuzzy says:

I have been so caught up in the stress and tension of the vile, unaccountable corruption within our own government that I forget THEE season is almost upon us. The birth of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The reason for the season. Praying He truly is in control because no one else is bringing the evil down…

• sixtygunnuh says:

+1 Snuzzy. You’re not alone and bless you for letting ME know I am not alone. The visceral rage I have against these 3 letter serpents has likely loosed enough stress to have affected in some measure me lifespan. But I firmly believe this Treason committed against this good, kind, and generous Heartland. Yet, I’ve studied and surveyed well the character of the Mortal Enemy we face and in the end, like the odds as surely their Treason has reached God’s scrutiny. I pray every Day for Him to forgive my hatred for them and for justice born not of it, but so it will never be attempted again. Because my wife and I want our boys and their families to know and live in the most Noble Country we did. The past nearly two years, 10 actually, changed me. 2018 began with the loss of our Alpha male German Sheperd who graced our family for 12 yrs. 2 months. Real loss though we’re still blessed to have his sister. 2018 also brought the marriage of our youngest boy to a fine young wife. They met in high school, he’s 23, she’s 22, a newly minted petroleum engineer and RN respectively who just bought their first home. Neither owe (1) penny for those 8 1/2 combined years as we were able to fund the entire nut from savings where her family did the same combined with a two year scholarship. Both understand the events surrounding the 2016 election, and more, but it’s brings us joy to see them revel in their youth. We want them to know the Country we have as we await another grandchild next year.

Hold fast in Faith because the worst seems ahead of us. Temper this with hard hearts. By now all should have at least begun thinking through the potential for civil strife and real potential for armed civil insurrection. What’s fully needed to sustain Kith and Kin through each day? The warnings increase and with another just sanctioned against those of you in NJ by your “legislature”: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/12/new-jersey-magazine-ban-goes-into-effect/. Forget any “tin-hat” stupidity. History proves that during sporadic reign/s of tyrants they make certain to provide for those with the means to insure their reign. Think this through carefully. Imbeciles selling “reasoned arguments made through our democratic system” are at this point selling you poison. There is no reasoning with them – nor should there be. USN Vice Admiral Jim Stockdale (RIP) stated: “You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end – which you can never afford to lose – with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.”

Take time out with your families. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah as they commemorate the defeat Syrian tyrants and re-establishment of the Temple in Jerusalem – where it rightfully belongs.

5. Angelle Staria says:

What a different nation we would be if more people followed the simple instructions set forth in Luke 3.

And take notice of the line…

…do not falsely accuse anyone…

Well, that portion is like a heaven-sent nuclear bomb dropped on mainstream media!

Their sins will find them out. But the true and faithful people of God will bask in the Light of Life’s blessing, peace and glory!

SD, hang in there. Hold on to the horns of the Altar and the hem of the Lord’s garment. He will help you and strengthen you!

6. Albertus Magnus says:

I pray everyone has a blessed Advent and Christmas season filled with love, good food, family, friends and especially, HIM!

7. Grandma Covfefe says:

CHRISTmas blessings to everyone today and this coming week.
    Thank You, Menagerie for this post.
    Thank You Sundance for being the best investigative reporter. You deserve the “Trump’s Patriot Prize”
    Thank You, AdRem and others, for keeping the Treehouse clean and fun.

• Angelle Staria says:

I second your motion for Sundance.

He was one of the people I was thinking about in my prayer posted on the other thread referencing the men of Issachar. So also for Thomas Lifeson over at American Thinker, a man I count as friend.

As Christian’s, we must be awake and aware of the hatred of Hell and Satan against those who strain for truth and who work hard to expose and uncover the works of darkness.

Every soldier of truth has a red X on their back…

…but. BUT! a blazing CROSS as the mark of their shield of faith and truth.

Paul had a great understanding of this and covered the subject quite well in Ephesians 6.

Shalom and be blessed, always!

8. CornPicker says:

In performing works of mercy for others in need. If possible, we can even keep them secret so that they are known to the Lord alone.

• Menagerie says:

Saying the Divine Mercy chaplet frequently has changed my life, changed me. For every prayer I have prayed for others, my soul has been changed. I don’t believe anything in my life has brought me such spiritual benefits as this practice has, and I started it not for me, but others.

9. pnj01 says:

This is the Day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad!

10. Jeff P. says:

Amen, God Bless us all, and may CHRISTmas bring you all the wonderful things you are wishing and hoping for this CHRISTmas season.

1) First of all then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made for all men, 2) for kings and all who are in authority, in order that we may lead a tranquil life in all godliness and dignity. 3) This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our savior, 4) who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the Truth. 1 Timothy 2-1-4

I forget this message a lot and am guilty of being “the sinner” as well as being haughty as a Pharisee or Sadducee, and I am grateful to God and our Lord Jesus Christ when I am brought low and humbled as it brings things back into perspective for me.
    I get heated many times over what I perceive as wrongs to America and Americans and I say things that are un-toward at times. I would like to offer my sincere and humble apology to all Treepers, and all CTH staff as well. I appreciate having a place to get a better look and much better insight on our current events and the posts from all of the great minds I find here.
    I am making a resolution to do my very best Not to post negative or mean things no matter how angry the topic makes me.
    Wish me luck, I am a hard head so I am going to need it. 🙂
    Have a Blessed day ya’ll, Slinky

11. KittyKat says:

LIKE!

12. Psycho Monkee says:

At today’s Catholic Mass, the priest has an option to wear a rose (some say pink) chasuble. This color is only used twice in the whole Liturgical year: Third Sunday in Advent & Fourth Sunday in Lent. Both are a reminder of the ‘Joy in Preparation’

• pnj01 says:

And the newly lit candle in the picture accompanying this article is rose as well!

Christmas is still the biggest news of the Year. We still love it and it still excites our hearts! Every Year (at least until the Second Coming). That is why we call this the Christmas Season!

13. Sledge says:

Awesome!

14. vickitwi says:

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the GOVERNMENT SHALL BE UPON HIS SHOULDERS. and His name shall be called wonderful counselor, almighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace

15. eweturn8 says:

From the Bible Project.

… and the Sermon on the Mount
    “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Matthew 5:11-12, ESV)

16. Thank you! Just enjoyed our own little home advent using your readings here.