Happy Thanksgiving Treepers!

Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians celebrated a harvest feast in 1621, but it was not until 1863 that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held in November each year.

Thanksgiving trivia questions. No prizes awarded because I know you guys are going to google it. Also, we cannot be taking money out of the bacon, coffee, and bar kitty for prizes. We have a budget. This is just for funsies!

Who was the governor who organized the first Thanksgiving feast with the colonists and Indians?

A. Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger

B. Sarah Palin

C. William Bradford

How long did the feast last?

A. Until the Pilgrim Democrat Party found out they did not have proper permits. There was also a problem with serving size, minority quotas, and excessive use of maple syrup.

B. Until the Indians took their turkeys and went home.

C. Three Days

What was the menu?

A. Bacon and Jack Daniels

B. Jack Daniels and bacon

C. Lobster, rabbit, fish, chicken, squashes, beans, chestnuts, hickory nuts, onions, leeks, dried fruits, maple syrup, honey, radishes, carrots, cabbages, eggs, and goat cheese are items thought to have been on the first Thanksgiving menu.

Fun fact about Thanksgiving

• Sarah Josepha Hale, an American magazine editor, persuaded Abraham Lincoln to declare Thanksgiving a national holiday. She is also the author of the popular nursery rhyme “Mary Had a Little Lamb”
  • Abraham Lincoln issued a ‘Thanksgiving Proclamation’ on third October 1863 and officially set aside the last Thursday of November as the national day for Thanksgiving.
  • The annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade tradition began in the 1920’s.
  • In 1939, President Roosevelt proclaimed that Thanksgiving would take place on November 23rd, not November 30th, as a way to spur economic growth and extend the Christmas shopping season.
  • Congress to passed a law on December 26, 1941, ensuring that all Americans would celebrate a unified Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday of November every year.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

198 Responses to Happy Thanksgiving Treepers!

1. Homesteader says:

We’ve been up since 4:00, had our coffee, said our morning prayers, played with Cloey the bunny and now have a nice fire going in the fireplace. Shined the flashlight on the garage windowsill and saw two eyes shining back. Jasper the cat wanted out. It is in the low 20s in this part of Ohio so he won’t be outside long. I hope the rest of you are having a cozy morning too.

Still alot of pain after a recent surgery so the husband unit will be making our Thanksgiving dinner. 😳

2. amwick says:

Happy Thanksgiving Menagerie and all the magical CTH peeps: SD, Ad Rems and the stealthy moderators. Happy Thanksgiving to the CTH community. Bless and keep you all.

So, it seems to me that the more tumultuous the times are, the more you grab on to some traditions and cling for dear life. For example,

Husband: what is that pan of appetizers in the frige?
    Me: That isn’t an appetizer, those are sweet potatoes, just like my mother used to make!
    Husband: Huh?
    Me:They have been boiled, peeled, and they have a dab of butter and a pinch of brown sugar. You heat em up and the butter melts with the brown sugar,, it gets gooey. *sighs

So I wracked my brain trying to remember if the brown sugar went on the butter, or if the butter went on the brown sugar, but I threw caution to the wind and went with the former. This is the last little bit of Thanksgiving from my childhood, and I will not, nope, no way, no how, not have that little pan of gooey sweet potatoes.

Enjoy everyone,,, count your blessings.

3. Dora says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Mr. Netanyahu!

4. Lanna says:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Loved the quiz, Menagerie, thank you!

5. JoD says:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!
    A time to give Thanks…Day 672

6. HollowofHishand says:

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Travel safe, eat well, sleep often!

7. Scott Lyddon says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all! We have much to be thankful for.

8. Jacaranda11816 says:

Truly wonderful clip reel, Menagerie, thank you; especially the first two.There’s nothing quite like archival footage to zap one out of the self-focus of the moment; to see earlier lives in earlier times, now gone, except as surviving artifacts…or, on a personal level, as our descendants’ memories of us. That’s not a sad thought to me. In fact, it reminds me to be so thankful for today. Very fitting.

9. covfefe999 says:

I am thankful that I and my loved ones are healthy, that Trump is President, and that this web site exists. 🙂 I hope you all have a lovely day.

10. Davenh says:

I’m thankful my friend escaped the camp fire. So many did not make it out. Please remember them in your prayers today.

11. Pyrthroes says:

“Here begineth the chronicle of those memorable circumstances of the year 1620, based on the account of (Plymouth Colony’s) William Bradford, sometime Governor thereof.”

“When they came to Delfts Haven they found the ship and all things ready. … so they lifted up their eyes to Heaven, where God hath prepared for them a city, and therein quieted their spirits, for they know that they were Pilgrims and Strangers here below. As tides called them away, with tears and mutual embraces they took leave of one another, departing that goodly city of Leyden the next day.

“Behind them lay a mighty ocean, separating all from civil parts. Here were no friends to welcome them, nor shelter to repair unto, for summer being ended their new country presented naught but a wild and savage hue. Winters there are sharp and violent, and what could they see but desolate wilderness, full of of wilde beasts and wilde men?”

“The desolate Wilderness, and the fair Land” has been published annually as a Wall Street Journal editorial from 1960.

And we respond:

America’s bounty, her vast wealth, lies not in earthly goods but in the enduring worth of Pilgrims and Strangers here below. Blessed with abundance, daring grim travails, our country remains a work-in-progress for which good hope, solemn remembrance, humble Thanks are due.

Gathered together, may we fulfill the destiny that smiled upon our forebears’ sea-of-troubles. Under Providence, opening unto Life and Liberty as by a golden door, may we resolve to make of desolate Wilderness a fruitful, fair, and pleasant land.

12. TigerBear says:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TREEPERS!
    May God always bless you with enough!!

A special blessing for Sundance and family!

He works very hard for us in presenting facts and truth. We need him too, as the lamestream media is clouded with deception and evil!
    Thank you SD!!! 😍🙂

13. G3 says:

Happy Thanksgiving!

14. Timmy- the-Ute says:

Low fuel prices, low food prices, likely have a job, only 8400 troops in Afghanistan, Trump is still President, and Jesus died for our sins. So much to be thankful for.

15. SandraOpines says:

Happy Thanksgiving Treepers!

I have a special Thanks today. I am happy to report that my fussing at State Rep, County Commissioner and CenturyLink was VERY effective.

Someone tied the CenturyLink lines to the Comcast lines and now we have more than 12 feet of clearance so FEMA trucks and Logging trucks can get to us again. It took about 24 hours to get it fixed after I started fussing. #SqueakyWheel I am a happy camper today!

16. TigerBear says:

Happy Thanksgiving Menagerie! 😎

17. GrandpaM says:

Happy Thanksgiving Sundance, Menagerie, and all the treepers.

18. Truthfilter says:

Happy Thanksgiving, Treepers. I want to ask for your prayers for my dad today. He lives alone and is recovering from a long series of cancer treatments that ended in August. Although he is cancer free, he still can’t taste food, doesn’t eat enough, and relies on a feeding tube which he hates. Yesterday, he learned that he wasn’t rehired for his part-time position at one of the local factories. This was a blow even though he expected it. He simply can’t work for more than 2 hours without becoming dizzy and nauseated. He is 71. He has had such a good attitude so far but lately I’m afraid his optimism is running on empty. Please pray for a faster recovery for him. Pray that the Lord will provide a source of encouragement to help him believe that it will get better, that he will be able to do things again. Thank you all.

19. repsort says:

Dad, why is it on the 4th Thursday of Nov?
    oh, you know…. because shopping.

20. pacnwbel says:

Our TG dinner is a little different this year as my DH is still in hospital recovering from a heart whoops, and for the first time I have gone the catered route, with what looks like a really good menu from the Market kitchen, just heat and heat (and enough for leftovers) after we have visited him.

• skeinster says:

Yes- wasn’t able to go to my sister’s to help make dressing this year – we had company- so she’s just going to get it from Luby’s…
      Did the pies yesterday and there’s a batch of Chex Mix in the oven. We’ll hit the road about noon.
      A blessed holiday and safe travels to you all. When I count my blessings, I include the whole Treehouse!
      Hope your hubs makes a full and speedy recovery.

• Sounds good to me pacnwbel.

My sweet husband is working on our broken kitchen sink as I write.

He fixed it last night at 10:PM but it did not “hold”.

This will be one of those “memorable holidays” for our family.

21. to my friends at the Tree House…. Remember no Romaine Lettuce and make sure your Turkey is Cook – CDC issues warnings about Turkey as well…..http://fortune.com/2018/11/14/thanksgiving-turkey-cdc-salmonella-outbreak/

22. Ausonius says:

“You will be made to care – and you will be made to accept – our Leftist, Communist, anti-life, pro-homosexual agenda.”

I just turned off ABC when the Philadelphia “Gay” Men’s Chorus came on, during their “coverage” of the “parade” in Philadelphia.

So far we have seen precious little of any parade: we have seen promos for countless no-talent warblers, no-talent crooners, and no-talent actors and actresses who just happen to be connected to shows on ABC or stage productions sponsored by The Mouse.

Switching to Hallmark…maybe they have not yet been infected.

23. tuskyou says:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here at CTH! This is our 3rd year (since 2015) with Donald Trump rooted deeply into our lives. We are truly blessed to have a real leader, a patriot who fights for us.

Later today I’ll go to my in laws house where the focus will be on food, NFL football and sadly not much more. Till then I’ll hang out here with people who get it. 😉😉

🇺🇸🇺🇸MAGA🇺🇸🇺🇸

24. Right to reply says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Thankful to Sundance for keeping me sane!

25. bluebongo says:

Blessings from one patriot to you all on this day of Thanksgiving.

26. Hrmfc says:

Happy Thanksgiving!
    We are so very blessed.
    May God be with us and shelter us in His love.

Thank you Conservative Treehouse for your inspiration, clarity and patriotism.
    🦃🇺🇸🦃🇺🇸

27. 300 says:

Good morning Treepers, Happy Thanksgiving to all. Say a prayer for our men and women serving our great nation. Time to fire up the smoker and get the bird on. Stay safe everyone

300
    out.

• JTR says:

I used my smoker to cook my bird! I injected it with marinade, and it came out beautiful! I didn’t use wood and smoke it, just used it as an extra oven, it’s electric. It sure gave me more room to cook in the regular oven, and the whole neighborhood could smell my Tom Turkey.

28. DT2020 says:

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. I am thankful for the Treehouse.

29. ForGodandCountry says:

30. trapper says:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here, and especially to our host. I offer you this piece, “God and Mr. Lincoln,” from Joseph Bottum at TAM. Read to the end.

31. fallingsnow says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all Treepers!
    Special Thanks to CTH team for your great effort so much and so long.

32. I am Thankful for God’s Love. Everything else is just Gravy! Happy Thanksgiving to All!

33. llamamama3 says:

Happy Thanksgiving to Menagerie, Sundance, Stella, WeeWeed, and all other ad rems! Happy Thanksgiving to all the treepers! Thanks for keeping me sane! God Bless you all!

I am thankful to be alive and able to share the blessings with loved ones.

He safe in your travels. Have a most wonderful day! 💖😘

34. NJF says:

Happy thanksgiving fellow treepers!

God bless to all. Have a day of love & laughter.

35. Pat Childs says:

Add chili peppers to the list. An early account leaves no doubt that the Indians introduced hot peppers to the pilgrims. As far as protein goes, add wild duck and the turkey, which had been long domesticated by the Indians. The Indians also brought 3 deer to the celebration, and these were the cornerstone of the meal. Two dishes likely served are still made today in New England, succotash a combination of boiled eating corn and beans, and baked beans, an Indian dish wherein dried beans are re-hydrated, mixed with deer fat, wild onions and maple syrup then sealed in an earthen pot and cooked in hot embers all night, With minor tweaking, both these dishes are immensely popular to this day.

36. dallasdan says:

This community and the value of its news are blessings worthy of joy and contemplation on this Thanksgiving day. My love to all, and may God’s blessings fill your lives.
    Dan

37. Happy Thanksgiving American Treepers! Thank you for President Donald J. Trump!

38. jus wundrin says:

Happy Thanksgiving SD. Give thanks to the Lord everyday!

39. Brant says:

I like that first menu. I think folks would be a lot healthier eating that. Would be a good healthy diet going forward.

40. Richard Whitney says:

Sarah Josepha Hale did a lot more than lobby for Thanksgiving, and write “Mary Had a Little Lamb”.
    Her husband died early, leaving her with four small children and a fifth on the way. She became the editor of a start-up womens’ magazine and made it a success. The owner of another popular ladies’ magazine, “Godey’s” thought so highly of her that he bought the magazine she worked for so she could work for him. In two decades, her circulation went from about 10K to over 250K. But it had an even bigger post-circulation audience, because women shared it so readily. Thus it was a very influential magazine in the United States. She used it to promote women’s education, women’s admission to medical school, and many other causes that contributed to the life of the nation. She was the first to include recipes in her magazine. She published an engraving of Queen Victoria standing by her Christmas tree, which inspired Americans to incorporate a Christmas tree into their Christmas traditions.
    Sarah Josepha Hale was a force of nature, and more women should celebrate her accomplishments.

41. COlibertybelle says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you wonderful Treepers who have helped me keep my sanity intact in the darkest hours. Feels like family…and families are THE BEST!!

42. Molly Pitcher says:

Happy Thanksgiving to Sundance and the CTH crew and to all of the Treepers .

I give thanks daily that we are all here learning,sharing,sometimes tiffing…like a family!
    MAGA

43. Nathan Hale says:

Happy Thanksgiving!

This has been a growing experience for me. Even as we get older we must continue to listen to those younger than we are so we too can grow and move forward.

As example, I’ve learned from my youngest son that describing myself as a nationalist was terrible, an embarrassment to the rest of the family because that meant I was a bigot because the Nazi’s and white supremacist were nationalist. I didn’t know!

When I mentioned how great it was that Trump had finally made things better for working families, men and women were finding good paying job across the country, and unemployment was at an all time low I thought my family would also be pleased instead all I got were blank stares. Then my middle son pulled me aside to inform me that this was due to President Obama not Trump. I didn’t know!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Dumbo

PS- please don’t share this I’ve embarrassed my family enough

Sent from my iPhone

• Molly Pitcher says:

I understand that completely. Sometimes it skips a generation…my daughter would likely say the exact same thing but the other day I asked my oldest grandson what he’d like for Christmas .This was what he texted me….
      World Peace
      2nd term for Trump
      Never ending bull economy
      Reduced regulation….and a coffee

There’s hope yet!

44. antiqueiron says:

A very Happy Thanksgiving to each and every Treeper here and to Sundance & all his crew. It is a great pleasure to be back here with all of you. Each of you add your own measure of spice for all of us to absorb in one way or another. Thank you all for that. I look forward to learning what I can, and helping out wherever I see my thoughts might be worthwhile. I know, there are times when I should just keep my big mouth shut, but that just wouldn’t be me. The older I get, the less my filter seems to operate properly. We have much to be thankful for this day and I hope we all take the time to reflect upon that. I sincerely wish all of you the very best, and I’ll see you tomorrow, when the wars begin anew. God bless you all.

45. InAz says:

Happy Thanksgiving to The Conservative Treehouse and all Treepers!

46. Motzilla says:

Happy Thanksgiving!

47. Piggy says:

Taking a break from cooking for a minute and wanted to wish everyone a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Enjoy your food. Enjoy your family even though we don’t get to pick them.

Happy Thanksgiving!