Tuesday September 25th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

162 Responses to Tuesday September 25th – Open Thread

1. Deplorable_Infidel says:

The Cause Of Retarded Growth

In the physical realm retarded growth may be due to some mishap or may be simply one of the results of the curse, having no direct bearing on the behavior of the parents, and certainly not of the child itself. In the spiritual realm this is not so. God has made abundant provision for every child of God to grow to spiritual manhood, and Paul rebukes the Corinthian believers for not having grown.

The trouble with the Corinthians was that they did not have much appetite for the Word; they did not have a passion to know and obey the truth, for the babe in Christ who “desires” the pure milk of the Word will surely “grow thereby.” This was the trouble with the Hebrew believers too, for when the Apostle would have gone further into the great subject of Christ as “an High Priest forever after the order of Melchisedec,” he was forced to write:

“Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull [Gr., nothros, slothful] of hearing” (Heb. 5:11).

This is precisely the cause of the carnality among believers today. During World War II there were several occasions when parents came to the writer with letters from their sons in the armed forces, explaining that a code had been arranged by which “Johnny” could let them know to which theatre of war he had been sent, but that now it was difficult to understand his letter. Together we would sit down and study the letter in detail in an effort to make out exactly what it was that “Johnny” was trying to make his parents understand.

Such interest and concern over a letter from “Johnny”! And appropriately so, but do the majority of believers show such interest in the Word of God to them? They do not. They are satisfied with “the simple things,” with knowing only a few passages which “warm their hearts.” This is the root cause of the spiritual immaturity in the Church today.

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

2. citizen817 says:

HERZOGSTAND, BAVARIA, GERMANY

• nwtex says:

Herzogstand cable car near Lake Walchensee

• budklatsch says:

Thank you, Bavaria is a magical place indeed, beginning with the magic of NeuschwansteinSchloss that inspired Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom.. The Passion Play in Oberammergau every ten years is a remarkable Christian event undertaken since the mid-15th century. Wonderful memories of visits of years gone by.

• wondering999 says:

My favorite is Bamberg in the summer.

A relative also took me on a road trip to see an ancient Roman road that went from Bavaria to Salzburg.

I was old enough then to be startled by thoughts of Roman Europe, and what must it have been like THEN… the builders of the roads and aqueducts, coliseums and baths and towers… so glad my middle school offered Latin classes. My imagination would have missed so much without those Latin lessons

3. My Magic Wand says:

Restaurant and gift shop on the top of Mount Evans
    I was told it was struck by lightning and burned down, nearest fire dept is at least an hour away, uphill all the way too,

I’m sure these guys thought it sucked, as they would defiantly have to bring lunch from now on.

• czarowniczy says:

About 70 miles west of my grandparents place at Traunstein. The whole area’s gorgeous…but cold in winter.

• My Magic Wand says:

I was surprised on the wiki for Mount Evans that it rarely goes below Zero, it probably stays at Zero.
        The wind is probably what will get ya, and the all time high??…..65 degrees.
        It had a tornado touch down on it in 2012, it was big news too, I was in CO when it hit…no damage tho…only people around there are either tourist or those astronomers.
        It was the 2nd time a tornado hit while I was visiting, 1st time was in the rest stop right before Denver and the tornado sirens went off, guess we tornado alley dwellers have “Old Bob” follow us around….”Eerie”.

4. Lucille says:

Beautiful Full Moon Tonight…

5. dbethd says:

Reposting from yesterday as others may have missed it and might have some insight:

BigMamaTEA on September 24, 2018 at 3:03 pm
    I have contact info for crossthread. I just got off the phone with him. They have electricity, phone, lost a freezer full of food, have MRE’s & water at this point.

Anyone who may not know, they live on a fixed disabliltiy income. So, I am assuming that cash is short during this disaster time.

Does anyone have any experience with any fund-raising site? I have a paypal for him, but I don’t have any experience with the fund-raising sites, like fees, or which one is best.

• czarowniczy says:

I know a number of people who’ve used Gofundme and have not had bad experiences with it.

• czarowniczy says:

They can use the food for a while depending on how long ago the power went out, food closest to the bottom will thaw last as long as they limit the number of times/length of time they open it. Cook and eat that which has thawed first. We loaded water jugs into our freezer and froze them ahead of time to increase the time food would stay frozen – you can also freeze extra jugs for the refrigerator for next time.
      One of my most stark memories is thousands of freezers and refrigerators lining every street in NOLA, all full of rotting food. If it gets to the point where the foods about unusable get it out and save the freezer/fridge. We got power back in late October at our house but it was late November before even the basic, bottom line refrigerators hit the stores. Luckily we had ice chests as ice hits fairly early so we could keep essentials like beer we had to drive 40 miles to by cold.

• millwright says:

I’ve often wondered why, when you have prior opportunity to prepare one wouldn’t scrounge up all the dry ice you can find and layer it on top of a chest freezer . Second, as time passes and food thaws cook it ! You can jerk just about every form of meat, fowl and fish with salt, some basic spices and smoke . While the dry ice may not be cheap or readily available, traditional preservation methods are .

• czarowniczy says:

As I said elsewhere, it had been a generation since the last big ‘un hit NOLA and everyone was complacent.
          Also, a few years before hurricane Georges had almost hit and for the 1st time ever the city had a mass evacuation. The huge emotional dustup the media caused in the days prior, the panic of the city hitting the roads before contraflow, the unreimbursed expenses incurred and how the thing missed the city completely all figured in to many folks decisions not to leave for Katrina. Media doesn’t like to talk about that as it casts a dark but true reflection on their panic reporting but it figured in.

• My Magic Wand says:

I found a chart somewhere, just reviewed all my visited sites, unable to find will keep looking, basically it said anything that is 40+ degrees toss, only exception was block cheese, everything else was refreeze with some warnings for certain things for taste or texture degradation.

• czarowniczy says:

We didn’t really prepare all that seriously pre-K because it had been decades since the last major storm. The city did nothing other than play at planning and serve us free beer at emergency planning missions while the first major government rescue operations were aimed at making sure the Bug Shots in the city were taken care of.
          We learned and we plan with food and water being a biggie. In the city the government can order a mandatory evac but can’t force you to leave. They can and will turn off all utilities, impose curfews and prevent you from leaving if you go out of their cordon for any reason.
          We have a lot of canned food we rotate thru during the year, stuff that you can eat at room temp if the need be, and when we buy it we look for the longest shelf life on the packages.
          We realize the dangers of not leaving but I remember how the city of New Orleans was one big open air shopping mall for looters for months and how we were basically powerless to do anything about it.
          One of our neighbors out here had rescue power linemen park their equipment on their farm and cooked them hot lunches with the food from their dying freezer and got power back weeks before anyone else did so where there’s a will…

• cthulhu says:

Been worried. Where is he and what is his status at the current time? My experience knowing someone with GoFundMe is that they might do good works, but not for immediate crises. If there is a Treeper who can drive over a tank of propane, it might be more good than any number of GoFundMes or other internet assists.

• BigMamaTEA says:

crossthread is in Wilmington, NC. I spoke with him on the phone yesterday. He now has cell service, electricity….water out of tap is questionable, so bottled water for now.

He lives on a fixed income. Fuel is a problem, in the entire area, but once again, the main streets are being cleared, but the neighborhoods are slow. Crossthread is a one-armed bandit. (literally) so he’s probably dangerous with a chainsaw, but someone has already helped with the cutting of the big tree. Said he’s got tons of chunks of what will become firewood, but he doesn’t have a fireplace!

He’s a very humble man when it comes to handouts….BUT I insisted he go sign up for some of those benefits that I continue to fund with my taxdollars. It’d be nice to actually know someone who gets them.

I am just looking for info for the long term, and wondered if anyone had experience with “fund me” was best to use, due to fees etc.

I guess we could take up a collection here. I have paypal for him. I’m not sure yet.

• smiley says:

worried about Ziggii …haven’t heard a word from him at all since Florence hit.

hope you’re ok, Z.

• JustCC says:

dbethd
      Thank you for what your doing for crossthread , I too am on a fixed income of 1120.00 a month and even though that’s not much , its way more that so many others receive …
      What I’m trying to say is ,its hard to make ends meet even without a storm like we just had pass..
      I also live in NC just up the road from the coast line at
      interstate 95 and interstate 40.
      we got it bad but NOT like others closer to the coast.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Thanks for reposting this dbethd!!!

Mornin’ Treeps.

6. Garrison Hall says:

7. nwtex says:

awwwww Poor baby ❤

8. WSB says:

So sorry to take this space, but I had the most unusually odd frustrating time this last weekend, yesterday and decided not to be angry about it. Thank you all for allowing my computer rant.

After four hours of time on Sunday purchasing a new computer due to unusual wet cicumstances affecting the existing steller one, today was basically seven hours of attempting to help my taller half, exhausting my novice new computer coordination with professional stock brokerage IT guys, of whom and which I know nothing about, but glad I learned a lot.

This morning will be fabulous because after seven hours, we figured everything out.

Oh, please always remember if you have logged on to your own password protected account on your own computer, you may not be able to complete company software access, because it may affect ANY downloads you may be attempting.

Argghhhhhh.

I did also realize that the full moon will be tonight.

Bless us everyone. Each day, we learn something new, and when we stop learning and making a difference in someone else’s life, God sends us home.

❤️🙏

😜

9. dbethd says:

Twosday

10. Lucille says:

India’s Geography Problem
    Published on Dec 5, 2017

11. flame says:

All the universal pain in the eyes…
    Lost…

12. An says:

ZeroHedge has a good new article analyzing Guccifer 2.0 & Wikileaks and showing the differences. Probably nothing you guys don’t know, but it’s a good analysis –

13. nwtex says:

awwwww….

14. nwtex says:

OMGoodness!!

15. nwtex says:

Okay that’s enough. Too many funnies. I’m movin’ on.

16. Earl & Pearl Tourist says:

Good take on the crap being spewed at our next Supreme Court Justice.

17. nwtex says:

Nope, don’t like it.

18. nwtex says:

To God be the Glory.

19. wolfrom1 says:

I just listened to PDJT speak about the new agreement with s. korea.
    Our President has made our country strong again and through strength
    he can negotiate deals to make us stronger. Win! Win!
    Thank God.

20. smiley says:

Moonlight, Wolf

1909

oil/canvas

A Pack Train

1909

o/c

Night Herder

1909

o/c

artist : Frederic Remington ~ American (1861-1909) ~ Impressionism ~ The American West

the most well-known painter of The Old American West, Remington died prematurely in 1909.

before his death he completed more than 70 paintings depicting night …exploring the technical and aesthetic challenges of painting “darkness” and night.

these paintings, however, are full of color and light ~ starlight, moonlight, firelight and candlelight.

those 3 above are from that Nocturne series ~ The Nocturnes .

they are his tribute, not only to the Old West of his youth that was quickly disappearing, but also to the character of night that was being transformed by new technologies…like electricity.

more about Remington and these paintings, here…

(click on the forward/back arrows at either side of the image, to navigate.)

🙂 ❤

21. You know your father and his men; they are fighters,
    and as fierce as a wild bear robbed of her cubs.

2 Samuel 17:8a

22. nwtex says:

23. nwtex says:

Awesome!! Keep him safe boys ❤

24. Dora says:

Thomas Eakins = ‘Singing Cowboy’ 1892

25. nwtex says:

If the media would only share more of these moments (and stories) our Country would take on a different tone….well, hopefully anyway.

26. swampratterrier says:

27. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.”
    1 John 4:4 (KJV)

28. Dora says:

29. Dora says:

30. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

31. duchess01 says:

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2018
    Under the God of this World!

32. Dora says:

Gorgeous building, but I still hate their coffee!

33. Help.

Anyone have advice on how to help people who are trying to stay in the USA and are having trouble ? Our next door neighbors are the nicest people from S, Africa, two sweet kids. I don’t know exactly what the issues are with green cards etc. but we would like to help them, get some advice. They are not keen to going back with the situation there.
    Any advice ?

34. dogsmaw says:

• dbethd says:

A lot has changed since I graduated. It used to be those who slept around were sluts. Media/entertainment, I believe, has played a huge part in that. Look at the who the media darlings are and how many babies they have with different men and none of them are married, and according to the media that is wonderful.

Not OK in my book.

• dogsmaw says:

actually things havent changed that much, they are still sluts…not the one you take home to momma eh?

• smiley says:

there have always been “sluts”…sexual promiscuity…

the difference these days is that today’s “sluts” and their slutty looks & behavior are shameless .

thanks to the FEMINISTS…

here’s a short but accurate article that talks about that..

“the feminists are succeeding in dragging down quality girls to their inferior level.”

…for the very same reasons the Left tries to drag everyone down to an inferior level.

I totally agree w/ the GUY who wrote that article.

• dbethd says:

I totally agree too.

That’s why I say media/entertainment plays a huge role. Just look at tv, movies, songs that play now that didn’t 10, 20, 50 years ago!

My sister asked me if I’d heard a song by Ariana Grande “Side to Side” (heard in passing on the radio but didn’t listen to the words). She does not actively listen to the radio but had started checking this song out due to an interview she saw of her with Ellen(?). It’s plain disgusting. And then girls as young as 9 are going to her concerts, listening to that garbage.

• dogsmaw says:

Check out what those kids did to Avenatti

• tessa50 says:

“A lot has changed since I graduated. It used to be those who slept around were sluts.”

Men have never been considered sluts for sleeping around.

• wondering999 says:

dbeth… What bothers me most is the breakdown of trust, not the taboo sexual activity itself.

When young lovers form a powerful bond, only to have it broken, and then to be shamed or ridiculed, it is very sad. This leads to depression in many cases. Worst case it leads to suicide. Often, careless or drunken or ill-considered sexual activity creates an opening for spreading STDs (including AIDS which hiked up insurance costs to astronomical levels in the 1980s).

I’m not about “slut-shaming”. I wish the adults would do a better job of protecting the newer generation by telling them simple truths — that all relationships are a constant negotiation, and that promiscuous sex puts you in a very vulnerable and disadvantaged position.

Sometimes sexual promiscuity is also a symptoms of bipolar illness, or the acting out of some major psychological problem. My weekend work with disabied people who must be supervised 24-7 has included some clients who were raped by parents and removed from parental custody (as hard to believe as most of us find that situation).

The promiscuous aren’t “sluts”. They are people who generally aren’t living their best life, and don’t even know how. I don’t know what Ms. Ford experienced as a teen, but it sounds sad, and definitely not something I’d want for my beloved daughters. Her mentors failed her, probably because they themselves were confused and didn’t know any better despite the power of their positions

35. dogsmaw says:

36. dogsmaw says:

37. Dora says:

38. pacnwbel says:

There is a photo of Miss Chrissy sans shades which shows a striking resemblance to HRC, it must be just coincidence of course, came across it while browsing Whatfinger, I believe it was courtesy of Diogenes Finger and related to a proposition that the letter to Di Fi shows signs of fakery…… just being conspiratorial

39. Dora says:

40. dogsmaw says:

• dogsmaw says:

Bill Cosby sentenced to 3 to 10 years in state prison for drugging,
      raping Andrea Constand (Fox)

• Maja says:

My brother dated Heather Thomas’s sister 35 years ago and he and my SIL are very close to her and the family. Tragic. Glad some justice was served.

Isn’t it interesting that this happens at the exact time the Kavanaugh charade is going on. There couldnt be a better contrast.

41. dogsmaw says:

42. smiley says:

Israel…UN…the “peace plan”…

Abbas Said Planning UN Event Aimed At Thwarting Trump’s Peace Plan

24 Sept 2018

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas will host a meeting…or “conference”…on Wednesday, “on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly…to review ways to torpedo the Trump administration’s plan for Israeli-Palestinian peace.”

all members of the UN Security Council are invited…

…all, that is, except the USA ( and, of course, Israel).

a lot more, at the link.

#KeepAbbasRelevant /s/

43. Sepp says:

“New Mexico AG Sues Google & Twitter Over Privacy as Marxists Move to Takeover U.S. Education”

This is the latest article from John Guandolo and his team at Understanding the Threat. The information from him and his team is always invaluable.