Saturday August 11th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

169 Responses to Saturday August 11th – Open Thread

1. Deplorable_Infidel says:

The Bible A Confusing Book?

We ran across an article recently, entitled: “Yes, the Bible is a Confusing Book.”

The article did not even attempt to dispel this “confusion,” or in any way help its readers to understand the Bible. It did not suggest even one basic rule of interpretation. Nor did it explain why the Lord Jesus Christ and the apostles constantly exhorted men to study the Bible.

The Bible is indeed a very large Book, so that the greatest of us will never understand it all. Moreover, it is God’s Book and must necessarily contain much that is “hard to understand.” But this makes it the greater challenge to the believing heart to seek divine aid in exploring its depths and the greater joy when precious stones are brought up from this exhaustless mine.

God does not reward lazy and indifferent Christians with light from His Word, but confusion invariably vanishes as we prayerfully obey His command:

“Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (II Tim. 2:15).

In studying the Bible there are basic distinctions to be observed; e.g., between the twelve apostles and Paul, the apostle for this age; between the “gospel of the kingdom” and the gospel for our day: the “gospel of the grace of God,” etc., but meantime there are many passages of Scripture so plain and simple that a child can understand them and no theologian can explain them away. For example, in John 3:35,36, we read:

“THE FATHER LOVETH THE SON, AND HATH GIVEN ALL THINGS INTO HIS HAND.

“HE THAT BELIEVETH ON THE SON hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him.”

At the other end from the spiritual poverty experienced by those who deem the Bible “a confusing Book,” we have what St. Paul, by divine inspiration, calls “all [the] riches of the full assurance of understanding” (Col. 2:2).

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

2. citizen817 says:

Happy Caturday!

3. citizen817 says:

4. Donna in Oregon says:

Irish Blessing

“May you be in Heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you are dead!”

5. Lucille says:

Happy Caturday!

6. Garrison Hall says:

Solera Flamenca is a guitar shop in Barcelona. Like NYC and LA it is a destination place for for musicians from all over Spain. However, where NYC or LA musicians might play jazz, in Barcelona the music is, of course, flamenco. Wherever you find really good musicians you’ll also find really good guitar shops and Solera Flamenca is one of these. The shop encourages talented visitors to stop in and play guitars. It’s, of course, good for business but since the shop also makes Youtube video this is also a great way from struggling local musicians to get their name before the public.
    There are obviously some killer guitar players living in Barcelona.

7. AgnesGoh in NZ says:

A pro-Trump tidbit from New Zealand: In my Catholic parish there is a petitions box. Twice in the last few weeks someone put in a petition for God to look after President Trump and to surround him with His angels. It’s good to know that I’m not the only VSGPDT fan in my parish. :- D

8. cheryl says:

Years ago, I wouldn’t have believed any of this. Now, I do. Isaac Kappy’s twitter feed is full of stories about pedophiles named. Stephen Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Hillary Clinton, and many more

This story is heartbreaking because it is supposedly about Heather O’Rourke. It’s the 2nd tweet down in black.
    What happened to Heather O’Rourke?

Down further on the page is another horrifying story about Judith Barsi

9. dbethd says:

❤️

10. Garrison Hall says:

Happy Caterday, Treepers!

11. The Devilbat says:

I know that most of us do not like Amazon BUT they are running a sale on the Kindle edition of the latest edition of the Harper Collins Bible Dictionary for only $2.99.

This is a truly excellent buy. A hardcover copy sells for $28.77. This is a fantastic book. You can look up anything in the bible and it is explained. Check it out, this one is a real winner.
    The Bat.

12. Lucille says:

Ostia Antica – Best preserved Roman city in the world.

• auscitizenmom says:

That was fascinating. I hadn’t planned to watch the whole thing because of time, but couldn’t turn it off. Hard to believe they were so advanced so far back. I mean, hot and cold running water??

13. millwright says:

An interesting Friday morning at the rancheria . About 0830 a pair of military jets came thru at low level on a heading for Bedminster. A second higher pair, was on a heading toward Trenton, a third pair ( much higher ) were on a similar heading as the second pair . Anyone know what that was about ? There’s at least eight airports ( plus a host of private fields ) within the 35nm exclusion zone when POTUS is at Bedminster . Did somebody not check the NOTAMs ?

14. Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Father of 7-month-old baby rescued in Lynchburg flood waters speaks out one week later

LYNCHBURG, Va. (WDBJ7)– It has been one week since flood waters rushed through Lynchburg, prompting evacuations and destroying homes.

We saw many images from that night, but one sticks out. The City of Lynchburg captured video of a 7-month-old baby and a 2-year-old boy being rescued from their apartment on Greenwood Drive by boat.

The video showed raging water, dramatic rescues, and the baby being cradled by a police officer.

One week later Jose Benitez sits outside a roped off Sandusky Square Apartments watching the video.

“That’s my baby,” said Benitez.

When the water reached the ceiling in some Sandusky Square Apartments, Benitez was helping his neighbors outside. He went back to get his baby, Esther, and the rest of his family, but the waters were too high.

“He said no, no more, no come back,” said Benitez.

Lynchburg Officer Collin Byrne responded to the flood.

“There’s a lot of things going through their mind and a lot of anxiety,” said Byrne.

He was allowed where Benitez wasn’t. You can see him hold Benitez’s son, Jonathan, in the video.

“He was crying. He was upset. I distracted him fairly quickly when I went to you-tube and turned on Tom and Jerry,” said Byrne.

And amidst craziness, the firefighters and police officers found some relief in baby Esther.

“The baby was precious. Just lying there as silent as can be,” said Byrne.

The first responders brought the kids back to their dad, everyone was safe.

The flood left its mark on the Benitez family. Both physically, their belongings are destroyed, and emotionally.

As the kids look back on the video from that night, the officer just hopes they take away one thing.

“That there’s a lot of people out there that are willing to help them at any point,” said Byrne.

The city estimates structural damage to private property like homes and apartments to be over $700,000. The City of Lynchburg Disaster Recovery Group will be assisting residents moving forward.

15. BSR says:

This is rather unreal and insulting to the intelligence so I’m posting to inform. Last Tuesday Prosecuting Attorney Bob McCullough in STL Co was defeated by a Ferguson Council Member named Wesley Bell. This would be an extension of the new Soros movement to fund PA campaigns for progressive platforms. So far they have been wildly successful btw. Our now soon to be ex PA’s father and brother was killed in the line of duty as officers of the law for those that didn’t know. Bell has challengers that do not stand a chance due to party affiliation. He will be the new PA.

After Bell’s victory the Wash Post published a story making a case for the re-opening of the Michael Brown investigation. It linked an already published online petition for newly seated Lieutenant Gov turned Gov Mike Parsons to appoint a special prosecutor for this matter. This propaganda movement was followed by the STL Post Dispatch today. There was very few on the petition until the Post story. Now it has over 16k signatures. Candidate Bell’s spokesperson has weighed in for him that he is now looking into the calls to re-open the investigation.

This is coming to a city near you whether you realize it or not…

Here is the petition. It was signed by MB’s mother who got a $1M settlement for his “wrongful death”. She has also announced her intentions to run for Bell’s Ferguson Council Seat. SD was spot on when he said Anthony Shahid was to blame for this mess – for the record. He is a professional $#!+ disturber.

Petition—————-> numerous factually dishonest “facts” to follow…

Heading

Appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the fatal shooting of my son, Michael Brown. Wesley Bell’s election win is a clear mandate from the people of St. Louis to reform the criminal justice system, which first begins with securing justice for my son.

Why is this important?

My name is Lezley McSpadden, the mother of Michael Brown, who was shot and killed by a Ferguson police officer on August 9, 2014. As lawyers, scholars, and commentators around the country have noted at length, my son’s killing was not properly investigated and Michael did not get the justice he deserved.

Over the course of three months, my family and I waited as the St. Louis County prosecutor’s office presented my son’s case to a grand jury before the police investigation was even over. So with less than half the evidence, the St. Louis County Prosecutor still chose to move full speed ahead and present evidence selectively designed to evade any criminal indictment of the killer of my 18-year-old son.

Since then, a provocative and revealing documentary titled ‘Stranger Fruit’ made its national television debut on Starz Network. “Stranger Fruit” unveils the untold factual account about what really happened to my son and the lack of any legitimate or honest investigation performed by Bob McCulloch and St. Louis County Police Department. My legal team is now asking for Governor Parson to review the case again because of the recent revelations uncovered by the documentary “Stranger Fruit.” It reveals both questionable judgment and failure to honestly pursue justice for my son and our family.

In addition to allegations of mishandling the investigation, a lawsuit was also filed by one of the grand jurors detailing challenges and exposing their experiences on the grand jury. The case has been reopened and is set to be heard soon here in Missouri.

To add to the disturbing list of disclosures, Bob McCulloch made an astonishing public admission after the grand jury failed to indict. He actually admitted that he knowingly allowed witnesses that he knew were NOT telling the truth to testify before the grand jury! In this case, you don’t have to just take my word for it. These egregious revelations have now come to light and the people of St. Louis County deserve to see equitable systemic practices in the criminal justice system as much as I need to see justice for my son!

To members of the public, I hope that you will consider signing this petition to re-open the local investigation of my son’s case. If you were a parent of a child who went through what Michael went through, you would never stop fighting for his justice. And you would do everything within your reach to ensure that our citizens experience fair treatment and equal justice under the law.

Will you help me continue to fight for justice for my son? Together we can ensure our government reflects the accountability, integrity, and interest of the people they are in place to serve.

With Love,
    Lezley McSpadden-Head

• nimrodman says:

Thanks for the heads-up on that. Disturbing.

I didn’t want to besmirch Caturday, but since you’ve brought up a thug-vs-police incident, I’ll make mention of this one.

Police should have just shot this MF-er way sooner.
      Way, way sooner.

Or they need tasers that actually incapacitate, maybe the wire/darts one AND the hand-held kind that arcs between 2 electrodes about 2 inches apart.

With settings from “stun” to “quite-a-damn-bit-more-than-stun”.
      Because the wire/darts taser didn’t do the job this time and officers got shot.

I’m really, really, really tired of Leftists and BLM-ers and NFL-kneelers second-guessing police who have to deal with these non-compliant, willfully resisting, murder-attempting criminals. Really tired.

Click thru to the article and watch the video there. You won’t believe how long
      TWO officers struggle with this guy without escalating to further incapacitating force.

And they were in error in their patience or hesitation or reluctance or whatever it was.

Because it nearly cost them their lives and who knows how disabled at least one of them will be on the downstream end of this.

Heart-stopping moment officer is shot by man pulled over for speeding

• Lucille says:

If I remember correctly…didn’t Obama’s Justice Department refuse to pursue the case? You know they would have if they thought there was a chance of putting the police officer in prison.

Not having an interest in seeing the film Brown’s birth mother is touting, does anyone know if the above was brought up in it?

• BSR says:

To say they refused to pursue the case is somewhat correct. The civil rights division of the DOJ crawled up Wilson’s rear end with a microscope and interviewed every witness themselves. I believe the FBI did also not sure but those were both in extension to the primary investigation. They found no evidence of MB’s civil rights being violated. What they did find was some of the practices of the Ferguson PD (not related to this case) were in need of revision. They signed the consent decree.

Ferguson’s riots happened by a matter of circumstance. Just prior to the use force that morning all STL Co were 20 miles away dealing with a gunman who seized a hospital pharmacy. Ferguson didn’t have the manpower to process the scene. In the time before STL Co arrived Anthony Shahid showed up on sight making comments. “They shot him in the back”. “He was unarmed”. He’s a mastermind of manipulation and was looking apoplectic and overly concerned. He single handedly tampered with nearly every witness prior to statements being given to police. The narrative of an “unarmed” teen being shot was the very first report in the news that day. Which is ironic because police don’t comment on ongoing investigations.

16. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.”
    Matthew 22:37 (KJV)

17. smiley says:

Happy Cat’day and….

…cake, too.

🐱

18. Dora says:

Look Into My Eyes

19. Dora says:

A slight delay. Try again tomorrow.

20. Dora says:

Oh my! That must have been some jolt!

I wonder what’s left of the island now.

21. Dora says:

Street Art? Whatever.

22. smiley says:

Drought Relief

pastel on paper

ca 2009

Misty Morning

pastel on paper

2014

artist : Lynda Robinson ~ Australian ~ Contemporary ~ pastels ~ Realism

completely self-taught…no formal art training.

🙂

23. amwick says:

I take my coffee black, no sugar, but, this is really cute.. Happy Caturday!

24. JRD says:

Perseids meteor shower will be brighter than EVER this year because it coincides with a new moon: Here’s how to get the best view, and when it starts

25. amwick says:

I took a giant leap and switched my smart phone to Straight talk. I had to put a sim card inside of it.. and guess what? There already was a sim card there… no one ever mentioned having to take the old one out… but,, I did it,, and registered and everything… I also suspended my auto pay to verizon. Oh… this was not as easy as they said…I guess that is true for just about everything..
    That tiny thing on the bottom was what I had to play with… the size of my pinky nail!!

Technology!!!! *sighs

• amwick says:

The reason I have a smart phone is for emergencies… I leave it turned off, and make about 10 calls a month. I could see where once in a while we might need to view a map, or look for a location, but other than that, it is for talking. My friends think it is really strange, but I don’t want to be bothered texting while I am away from home.. nope, please leave me alone, world… I’ll let you know when I want to join in the fun.

26. Jeff says:

I first heard this as the closing for the Hawai’i episode of “Aerial America.”
    It will stay with me forever.

27. JohnP says:

Yesterday was the best worst day of my life. After three years a judge finally admitted that I have been disabled since 2014. A long fight, I can’t believe
    i made it.

• JohnP says:

As Shakespeare said, “The law is an ass”. Social Security measures the disability of a patient with a fused spine by the amount of curvature. My back has fused straight, my neck has not. (Evidently the “expert” who came up with this idea what you can not do if your back no longer bends.)

• Fannie says:

Do you have a life insurance policy? Mine had a disability rider that converted the plan to whole life and waives the premiums.

28. getfitnow says:

Interesting stuff – hearing how people are evolving from non-thinker to thinker. This comment is representative.

“I never thought I’d say it, but I like Kanye now. I doubt he and I agree on a lot. But he is showing real mental toughness and personal growth. Respect.”

29. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels! Meet Captain on this Caterday.

30. Sepp says:

Although it is still August, there will be another early start to the so-called “holiday season” that truly, in its typical annual condition, has little connection to the Feast Day of the Nativity of Jesus Christ.

Saint Nicholas is the genuine “Santa Claus” who points the way to the Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ.

Although it seems early, it is worthwhile for adults to use the website of the non-profit Saint Nicholas Center to prepare and teach younger folks about Saint Nicholas and ultimately about Jesus Christ. It is possible to shift from the “holiday season” to a more authentic Christian mindset.

The website is has a few main topics that are divided into many subheadings.

There are sections with prayers, historical information, sacred art, hymns, articles, books, sermons, listings of events, Iconography, and a gazetteer of churches worldwide in honor of Saint Nicholas.

31. wolfrom1 says:

I have heard a lot about the corrupt senate select commity on intelligence. Plus misdeeds of many senators and house members. I know the order for replacing the President if he or she can not continue to serve. I am wondering what happens if all the corrupt elected congressmen were indicted, how this would affect the running of our country? A big problem for our President and DOJ to consider before handing out wholesale indictments.

32. Dora says:

33. SwampRatTerrier says:

Daily Mail: Photos prove Jeremy Corbyn honored Munich Massacre terrorists at 2014 ceremony in Tunisia
    William A. Jacobson | 8/10/2018 – 9:15pm

34. getfitnow says:

FTA – The Obama Presidential Center planned for Chicago is nothing more than a personal monument to Barack Obama and a center for political indoctrination in his radical views. It serves no public purpose the way that a presidential library would. Obama’s presidential papers will not be housed there, and no scholars will be afforded the opportunity to explore the history of his presidency.

And, this is receiving vast public subsidies, despite assurances that it would be privately funded. Barack and Michelle Obama have been playing a major role in its design, in a fashion reminiscent of a dictator putting up monuments to himself in some third world country. As the revised design stands, it will look like a cenotaph bizarrely erected before the death and burial of its principal.

35. LegionofOne says:

Hey, Sundance & co. check this out:

More CNN Fake News:

“Brown, then 18 and unarmed, was gunned down in 2014 by a white police officer while walking home from a convenience store. His death sparked nationwide protests, helped launch the Black Lives Matter movement and, now, has fueled his mother’s political ambition.”

36. 🍺Gunny66 says:

37. 17CatsInTN says:

Happy Caturday afternoon!

Miss Carolyn Appleby managed to push everything aside for her center of attention comfort. 😉 Can you spot Sunshine?

38. nikkichico7 says:

Happy Caturday / the Wall Cat …. 🤨👍

MAGA ❤️🇺🇸❤️

39. Lucille says:

Cute Japanese cat fails to catch virtual iPad goldfish, captures Internet’s heart anyway【Video】

40. youme says:

Told the little guy he had to walk the dogs…

41. Dogstar_K9 says:

Maybe someone can help out. I don’t use WP, FB or Twitter here for posting and reading comments. Is there a way to easily search my previous posts? I hate commenting and not being able to read if anyone replied and requested a reply.
    Thanks

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Is there a way to easily search my previous posts?”

You could keep a record of all your posts like I do. Start a new document with a word processor program and title and save it by date. When you make a comment after it posts on this website, there will be a date and time under your screen name. Right click on that time/date and select “Copy link location”. The paste that link onto your document and hit “space” or “enter” to make it a hyperlink. Then I hit the space bar a few times and copy and paste a sentence or two with the topic of the posted comment. Here is my entry today for my post at the very beginning of this thread:

The Bible A Confusing Book?

• covfefe999 says:

If they’re old enough (in my experience they have to be at least several days old) you can do a search in google specifically for CTH by specifiying the site and then your search terms. So like if I’m looking for my comment about Nellie Ohr, I could type:

site:theconservativetreehouse.com covfefe999 nellie ohr

It’s still a lot of work to find what you’re looking for though. From that search above I can see a comment of mine about Nellie Ohr from 4 days ago.

• The Tundra PA says:

Dogstar, do you see the black bar across the top of the page with the Word Press symbol on the left and the bell symbol on the right? If you click on the bell, it will open a drop down that will show you the beginning of your comment, what thread it was on (from all Word Press blogs, not just CTH), who “liked” your comment, and all replies to your comment. If you click on the start of your comment, it will open a new window and go straight to your comment. That way you can see all replies, to you and to anyone who replies to them. The drop down box goes back for several weeks, but not forever. The key element is that someone must either like or reply to your comment for it to be collected in the drop down. The admins have a way to bring up every comment you ever made, but we commoners don’t have that power.