Friday July 27th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

230 Responses to Friday July 27th – Open Thread

1. carole says:

I haven’t come to this Open Line very often, but today I come to share with my fellow Treepers that my husband passed on last Sunday. It was completely unexpected as he was feeling fine all morning. He was walking around the yard, looking at the plants and garden as he always loved to do when he began feeling sick and weak. He never is one to think anything is serious enough to go to the ER, but this time he did. There, his ekg, pb etc were all normal. He had no chest pain. But the doc suspected something and sent him for a ct scan. He didn’t make it that far as he stopped breathing. They worked for an hour to bring him back but he never regained consciousness. It was a likely problem with the aorta or an aneurysm but I did not have an autopsy. One of our sons lives 12 miles away. The other son had been on sabbatical, traveling around the world but as it happens, had been renting a cottage not far from us for the past 3 weeks, preparatory to ‘getting back to real life.’ Both sons, our daughter-in-law and grandsons ages 11 and 7, all know Grampa is now in Heaven. We miss him so much, but still: we are at peace knowing he is in God’s care, as are we. I love CTH and used to share many things from it with my husband and we would have some great discussions over the signs of these times. Thank you all for all that you are and do. Thanks for letting me share this.

• floridawoman4trump says:

My deepest condolences on the loss of your husband. God Bless you and your family and may your husband rest in peace.

• Linda says:

God bless you and your family as you go through this enormous loss. He will always be with you all in your wonderful memories and family times spent together. And he’s in GREAT hands now. hugs.

• benzy says:

My condolences as well… I know this can be a very difficult time but accept the love and comfort and help of those in your life.. your family, neighbors and friends (even those of us here). they will comfort you and guide you through the next few days and weeks.

• Ddanna says:

So sorry to hear of your husband’s passing Carole — May God bless you and your family with comfort, strength and wonderful memories!

• amwick says:

I am so very sorry for you loss… Your husband and I had something in common, Electrical Engineering. He had such interesting career, he left a mark on the world. Bless and keep you, and your family.

• Pat Frederick says:

i hope and pray you find peace and may your memories comfort you till you meet up with your husband again.

• nikkichico7 says:

I’m am sorry for the looks of your husband, please rest in the Peace of Jesus Christ …. till you meet again.

God bless and comfort you and your family.

• auscitizenmom says:

So sorry for your loss. May God comfort you.

• WeeWeed says:

Prayers for all of you, Carole.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

May you find comfort in reading the Word of God, which is how the Lord empowers us. Just as we need physical food to nourish our physical bodies, the Word of God is the “spiritual food” to nourish our spiritual bodies.

1Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

2Corinthians 5:6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
      7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
      8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Michael

• Thank you for sharing – so sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers. May God Grant you the strength, might and His Peace! The Lord knows your pain and is holding you gently in His Hands.

• trumpismine says:

God be with you and your family in this difficult time. Find comfort in all here praying for you

• BigMamaTEA says:

carole…..this is going to post at the bottom of a lot of condolences. Don’t know that there is anything that I could add….but, just know, WE are here for you…..as you need.
      We have other treepers who have lost a spouse. Don’t hesitate to reach out.
      Godspeed.

• Lucille says:

Carole, your loss is heartrending. He continues to live in your heart and in the hearts of all who loved him. Knowing your husband is with God will bring great comfort today and every day. May He bless your thoughts with wonderful remembrances.

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

We’re praying for you and your family. So sorry for your loss.

• Brave and Free says:

I am sorry for your loss my condolences to you and your family.
      God Bless

• LouisianaTeaRose says:

What a blessing and a gift you must have been to your husband, as it is quite apparent in your post…God Bless You, Comfort You, And Keep You, Carole >~}•

• JC says:

Thank you so much for sharing with us, Carole. What a shock for all of you, and I’m so sorry for your loss. My heart and prayers are with you. How beautiful to know your beloved husband beholds the face of God.

• Minnie says:

God bless you.

You are in my prayers and prayers are says for your cherished husband’s restful repose.

❤️

• singingsoul says:

Carole may Christ the Healer His Love be around you and within you.
        My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

2. nwtex says:

So sad for him and ALL the others.

• sat0422 says:

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes we forget them and that individually, they left behind families, memories, and love that came from their family & friends. President Trump often says he wants world peace and I believe him. I believe he wants it in other courtries and in the streets of the USA.

• bud says:

Thanks for recognizing a true American hero.

3. getfitnow says:

The seventh reason is that Barack Obama single-handedly made good race relations terrible. We are still suffering the effects of that for which I will never forgive him.

FTA – By now you’ve probably heard of polls that say Americans believe that “Donald Trump is the worst president in history” or that presidential scholars have ranked Trump “dead last.” I can tell you right now to ignore the polls and the so-called experts. While it may be too early to properly gauge presidential rankings for recent presidents, I am confident that history will ultimately judge Barack Obama as the worst president our nation has ever seen.

Below, I present six abbreviated reasons, which, I can’t stress enough, are just the tip of the iceberg.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Here are 1,366 well sourced examples of Barack Obama’s lies, lawbreaking, corruption, cronyism, hypocrisy, waste, etc.”

….with references

• amwick says:

Most people here would rank VSGPotus at the tippy top..
      I lost my health insurance because of what he did, and I know I am part of a huge crowd. He lied to me,, it is personal. I also think he made race relations worse. I had hopes that as a person with one black and one white parent he would see things from both sides, but no, the opposite happened. Not to mention what he did with the DOJ and the FBI,,, I am pretty sure he was a criminal. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
      History will not treat him kindly, and it should not. No way!

4. getfitnow says:

Any person who has 227K in Credit Card Debt has demonstrated that they are incapable of managing their finances and should not be allowed anywhere near tax payer money.

FTA – Stacey Abrams is running for governor in Georgia. She would be the first black woman to be elected governor of a state in American history if she were to win the election. But she faces some major roadblocks.

Abrams wrote an op-ed for Fortune in April, in which she argued her personal debt shouldn’t disqualify her from running for governor. She owes more than $227,000 in credit card debt, student loan debt and back taxes. She also owes $178,500 in real estate debt and $4,434 on a car loan (but since those are assets as well as a debt, we haven’t included it in our breakdown of what she owes).

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

She says “Things happen, and credit cards form a bridge”. Lord, she is perfect for Illinois. Brian Kemp will do well.

5. Dora says:

Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner without the magic of Photoshop

Oh dear! Not a pretty picture.

6. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;”
    Ephesians 5:25 (KJV)

7. wtd says:

Sundance tweeted the following example of hilarious millenial frustration:

Enjoy…Micah Tyler sings “You’ve Gotta Love Millenials”

• amwick says:

Someone asked (on twitter) how to send texts.. 🙂

• nikkichico7 says:

HA! Like the hat!
      ….. both of my sons were born in the eighties (participants trophies 🏆 … 😣) … the mil’s brothers … I love my sons but …. 😳 … 😐😑
      He older one ❤️ does well tech (yeah I know ..) the younger … ❤️ …
      neither are anywhere near getting married and having kids …. 😞

Love the video … funny and sad …

8. Dora says:

Who would have thought that a shark could be so beautiful?

• nimrodman says:

Read a scientific journal article on blacktips one time, mentioned a small atoll islet with a long funny name in the local Micronesian or Melanesian language.

Literally it meant “where small blacktip sharks nip at your heels”.

There’s a flat reef rim around the atoll with shallows between emerged islets of sand and trees. Like the photo above but smoother bottom. People walk the reef flat from islet to islet at low tide but as the tide rises the blacktips will pester you and “nip at your heels”

9. Patriot1783 says:

Re the ridiculous plastic straw ban:
    When are the hospitals, rehab & senior living centers going to step up to disavow this practice? Straws are vital & sanitary for some patients & seniors who have difficulty in drinking from glasses.

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

I have a set of stainless steel ones that come with a brush for cleaning. They can be boiled if need be. I bought them because they were pretty. Set of 4- $4.99.

10. HHC - 2nd 16th says:

Schumer and Shiff have been awful quiet lately. What’s going on?

11. Dora says:

• dreamguardian007 says:

Thanks for this, Dora. I remember walking through the graveyard at my grandfather’s funeral in Virginia many years ago, when I was about 10 years old. There were tombstones from the 1700’s, and it struck me that no matter how long each had lived, many more years had passed since they died. And of course even those many years combined pale in comparison to Eternity. As Fr Sweet encourages: each of us should choose wisely! And as Rush, a favorite band from my youth stated in “Freewill”: “If you decide not to decide, you still have made a choice.”

12. waltherppk says:

13. rrick says:

This is your money on socialism. They’ll be knocking more zeros off the denomination today. In two months they’ll do it again. https://twitter.com/CamEdwards/status/1021594384075243526/photo/1

14. nikkichico7 says:

Pvbs 3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    The Rewards of Wisdom
    3 My son, do not forget my [a]teaching,
    But let your heart keep my commandments;
    2 For length of days and years of life
    And peace they will add to you.
    3 Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
    Bind them around your neck,
    Write them on the tablet of your heart.
    4 So you will find favor and good [b]repute
    In the sight of God and man.
    5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    And do not lean on your own understanding.
    6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
    And He will make your paths straight.

🌹

15. blondegator says:

Here’s something fun to kick off your weekend. An old interview, shortly after our POTUS & FLOTUS married. A couple of things made me LOL, you’ll know when you see the first one. The very end, too, was fabulous…..which I found to be a bit of a surprise. Happy Weekend!

16. 17CatsInTN says:

Good morning, fellow Treeps! I think I’m going to coin a new phrase and call us the Winnables…. 😉

Today a bit of a fuzzy picture because I had to zoom in. I walked out onto the back deck last night to refresh the water bowls and came upon this scene, so had to run back in the house and grab my phone to take a pic. They were fixated on the two blobs towards the top that are actually rabbits. It was pretty funny, like a live still life painting. Nobody was moving; they were all frozen in time in a stare off contest. Starting at bottom with Sage who turned to look at me, then from the left, Sammy, Winkin and Ebby, Ethel at the top and Cicero off to the right.

17. Dora says:

Oh yes. These sayings are very familiar. They make me smile. I do miss the old days.

18. Robert Commings says:

ask yourself why some prominent people have had black left eyes.

19. smiley says:

Middle East…

Saudi Arabia BOMB THREAT : Oil Tankers BOMBED ~ Saudis BAN Exports Through Red Sea Straits

updated July 27, 2018

“…temporarily halting all oil shipments through Bab al-Mandeb Strait immediately until the situation becomes clearer and the maritime transit is safe.”

this comes after Iran-backed Yemeni “rebels” launched an attack on 2 oil tankers passing through Bab al-Mandeb… (no reported injuries…yet).

“The Bab al-Mandeb Strait, where the Red Sea meets The Gulf of Aden in The Arabian Sea, is only 20 km (12 miles) wide, making hundreds of ships potentially an easy target.”

a lot more about this, at the link.

20. Lucille says:

Islamic Republic of Iran: Christians seized from homes, pastor arrested and tasered despite offering no resistance
    July 27, 2018 9:54 AM By Robert Spencer

The Islamic Republic of Iran is deeply threatened by Christians and Christianity, and persecutes them harshly.

21. Lucille says:

33 LIFE HACKS THAT DESERVE A NOBEL PRIZE

22. Lucille says:

Twitter shadowbans prominent conservatives!

23. Dora says:

I’ve never heard of a firenadoe. Didn’t know such a thing existed. Yikes!

24. Lucille says:

Twitter CEO Defends Censoring Pro-Life Conservatives as Promoting “Healthy Conversation”
    By Corinne Weaver – July 27, 2018 | 10:47AM | WDC

25. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

26. GB Bari says:

Responding to a short thread over in Presidential Politics about spam attacks here on CTH.

On someones suggestion, I started to use Brave browser on my iPad and iPhone to read CTH. Haven’t had the pop up problem since. Brave has a problem when people post videos from twitter in the Comments, it crashes the rest of the page starting at that video, otherwise Brave runs ok.

When I run across the twitter video issue I switch to a private tab in Safari. Have to login to WordPress again, then refresh the CTH page to enable the WP login. Then it runs ok. Have seen the Amazon spam pop up infrequently in the safari private mode but it’s easy to navigate away from it and back to CTH. I also keep my safari history /cookies clear after every use, just make sure.