Saturday July 21st – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

301 Responses to Saturday July 21st – Open Thread

• olderwiser21 says:

Yup – it’s a Pretty, Great State. I believe this is a shot of Lake Powell. Been there many times over the course of my life, and it is an amazing place. Correct me if I am wrong. Still a great picture, no matter where it is.

• rrick says:

That is Reflection Canyon on Lake Powell. It is close to the north end of the lake at the confluence of the Colorado and San Juan rivers. Not too many miles away up the San Juan are the ‘goosenecks where the river meanders through the rock. It is very impressive whether by land, water, or air. The thing that stands out above all is that everything is gigantic. It is as if the creation were supersized. There is no sense of scale unless another boat or person is in view. It truly is amazing.

• Koot Katmando says:

Water looks very low.

1. smiley says:

🐱

2. citizen817 says:

ABIQUA FALLS OREGON

• cthulhu says:

Silver Falls State Park, in Oregon, has The Trail of Ten Falls. As you might imagine, there are ten beautiful waterfalls along the well-maintained trail, as well as occasional helpful staircases and railings. The trail passes behind several of the falls and is extremely well-marked for things like slope along the trail, slope across the trail, and distance to waypoints. In the cavern behind one of the falls, there are impressions in the roof above where volcanic outflow piled against now-missing trees. It’s a staggeringly beautiful, wondrous place.

The area is somewhat prone to the Disney Effect, where things start looking a bit too pretty and a bit too perfect and safe, and you twirl around thinking that there will be a bunch of movie cameras and a production crew behind you, or expect a cast member to be collecting fastpasses around the next corner. It’s a feeling similar to what you get in Firenze, Tuscany.

Be assured, however, that the drop-offs are real, the wet spots are slippery, and situational awareness is key. Hiking shoes with substantially more grip than casual shoes are highly recommended.

3. citizen817 says:

4. WSB says:

I posted little Ben’s photo once before about a year ago. And after kittendom, he is now a beautiful adult Norwegian Forest cat. I hope no one minds me posting this again.

Taken at Christmas at 9 weeks old, about 5 years ago. Christmas tree in his eyes. Not many cuter kittens, IMHO! Maybe I am just ‘biased’!

5. Garrison Hall says:

It’s Caterday, Trepers. Pet you kitties.

6. MontanaMel says:

We’re into the dog-days of summer…
    The twisters are winding up across our heartland,
    Why do I feel like something “untold” is going to happen — soon?

Are we all going to the big military parade in DC??? in mass ???

Check-6

7. Julia Adams says:

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He guides me in right paths
    for his name’s sake.
    Even though I walk in the dark valley
    I fear no evil; for you are at my side
    with your rod and your staff
    that give me courage.

Only goodness and kindness follow me
    all the days of my life;
    and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
    for years to come.
    The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

• Minnie says:

Amen 🙏

Thank you, Julia.

• cthulhu says:

I mentioned it before in the treehouse, but this is a psalm that merits much study — including various translations and renditions.

The classic line is “Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.” To a shepherd, these are specific tools, with specific uses. A shepherd’s rod is a tool to be used with his flock, to guide them to proper action. A shepherd’s staff is a tool to move from place to place, to indicate a center of action and reference for an area. There is a clear distinction, and a clear reason to reference both tools.

The author is celebrating that he is rightfully guided (“Thy rod”) in lands under God’s oversight and protection (“Thy staff”). It is left as a humorous intellectual exercise to contemplate the disquiet felt by those lacking one (confused in righteous lands) or the other (rightfully guided in lands of the wicked).

Few of us speak Aramaic, or Greek, or Hebrew. English speakers sometimes need to dig a little to find some of the beauty in the Bible (although the KJV did a magnificent job). But that there is so much knowledge in that tiny fraction of a psalm is wonderful.

• skeinster says:

One of our assistant pastors grew up on a sheep ranch in the West that has been in his family for four generations. We looked forward to his Good Shepherd Sunday homilies with anticipation and trepidation- he could get kind of graphic about life with sheep.
        A useful and humbling thought for us all – our frailties, stupidities, self-will and God’s unceasing care.

8. smiley says:

Late Night Jokes….and gags

no wonder she’s so miserable…

one word to describe her but it’s not fit to print.

• Minnie says:

🤢

I previously found her to be a nasty, aggressive lost soul.

After how she treated Judge Jeanine, she is downright despicable.

• Julia Adams says:

Roseanne lost her show over one tweet away from work; fast forward, on the same network abc, Whoopie uses vulgarity Against another woman and is applauded?

Enough already, I am tired of this persecution of conservative & Christian women.

• WSB says:

Oh, boy, yes, Minnie!!!!! It occurs to me that neither the network, nor Goldberg has had an adult moment to realize they must remove her.

Maybe they are too frightened of what Judge Jeanine will do.

Judge Pirro, with all due respect, we are beyond the other cheek, here. This type of bullying and harrassment must be prosecuted.

• Janie M. says:

What did Frank Langella ever see in her? 🤢 😱 😲 🙄

• Grassleygirl/Breitbartista says:

I have bags of pretty high quality dry cat kibble and twenty sm cans that I would love to donate.
      My kitteh Tanner was recently diagnosed with diabetes. She can only have Rx kibbles and I’m giving insulin.
      Email me an address and I will ship.cherylbramer1 atgmaildotcom.I hope it’s 👌 for me to write this..😎😸glad to help good luck.

• Grassleygirl/Breitbartista says:

Barrel of laughs??
      Not , just a selfloathing sad human being.

• olderwiser21 says:

I would be hard pressed to find a more unappealing human being, both inside and out. Once again, I have to comment on how a person’s inner being is soon reflected by their outer self. There’s no cure for an ugly soul.

• amwick says:

Back when, I thought she was pretty funny in those movies. Now, this new version,she is just another celebrity who has fallen off a cliff.

• Janie M. says:

amwick, I have only seen 2 of her movies, “Corrina, Corrina” and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash.” Had liked them both. Believe these came out early in her career before her nasty true self came to light.

• amwick says:

THat’s probably true. I remember her in a comedy where she pretended to be a nun.. I am not Catholic, I hope it didn’t offend them..

• Janie M. says:

I remember when that came out – didn’t see it. Am Catholic but wasn’t offended, just struck me as a ludicrous plot. Wasn’t she pretending to be a nun because she was running from criminals chasing her? Let me guess the ending. She came to appreciate the nuns/helped them out of some dilemma, they figured out she wasn’t an actual nun, they had a kumbaya moment, the criminals were arrested and everybody lived happily ever after.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

” There’s no cure for an ugly soul.”

…That can be fixed by any earthly doctor. The problem is SIN and that the reason the Lord Jesus Christ came to fix that problem by giving mankind a FREE gift that no one can earn or work for..

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
        2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Believing the gospel of grace saves us – reading the epistles of Paul gives us the knowledge to put the power of God to work in our lives.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

1Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

• carshop says:

I read the news and start to despair and then I get real and go to God. He is the author and finisher, the Alpha and Omega; the conquerer and overcomer.

• amwick says:

saw this last night:

• Your Tour Guide says:

Blouse by Sunsetter Awnings.

9. nwtex says:

• Ray Runge says:

My back yard abuts a 280 acre retention pond project in the middle of Houston and the Coyotes sing with regularity. the howling is certainly distinct from the circle of yips that are a vocal prelude to a meal. A challenge for the neighborhood. Stray animals—-no mam.

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

I love hearing our local coyotes yodel and yip and sing. Just heard them yipping away off to the south around 12:30 a.m. on Saturday morning. I always stand and listen–especially when one howls in that fine, silvery tone they can hit.

• I hate it because it often means dinnertime for them. I’ve lost many cats over the years to those buggers…and the bobcats. No matter how hard you try to get your kittys in at night, sometimes they just seem bent on suicide.

Have also known coyotes and bobcats to snatch chickens, small dogs and cats out of a yard in broad daylight. I don’t blame them, just hate our fallen world.

• BigMamaTEA says:

10. nwtex says:

11. smiley says:

Peter Strzok’s “Insurance Policy” Is His Wife, SEC Director Melissa Hodgman, Who Has Blocked The FBI’s Probe Of The Clinton Foundation For 21 Months, And Counting

July 19, 2018

from the article…

“She was put in charge of the Clinton Foundation investigation 3 weeks before the last Presidential election. She has been blocking it ever since.”

“Spouses have no duty to testify against each other….the tag team of Strzok and Strzok can keep secret any meetings, calls or reports regarding any case files of the SEC, FBI or CIA. That goes for text messages, too. Everyone else has to keep records.”

more at the link plus videos.

12. smiley says:

flash back to the streets of San Francisco…

13. nwtex says:

Andrew Surabian@Surabees
    Jul 11

Weird how Democrats and the media have no problem telling American citizens that they need to “pay their fair share” when it comes to paying higher taxes, but when @realDonaldTrump says that other countries should pay their fair share to NATO, they scream bloody murder.

• nwtex says:

^ Aha. This tweet goes with the (4:19) above utube ^

Tammy Bruce
      ICYMI Video: Here’s my segment from @Varneyco today “Pirro getting kicked off The View proves the left is operating on emotion,” as well as last night’s segment on @cpayne.
      11:21 AM – 20 Jul 2018

14. nwtex says:

15. nwtex says:

Yep. I’ve been feeling, for some time, that it is in the offing.

16. Dora says:

The Orange Cat

17. dbethd says:

View this post on Instagram

Luke loves visiting his buddy Alvin! 😊😊

A post shared by Lara Trump (@laraleatrump) on

18. smiley says:

oil/canvas

artist : Daniel F. Gerhartz ~ American (b.1965 Wisconsin) ~ Contemporary ~ Figurative Impressionism

a lot more of his work, here…

(can’t find the title/date of the one I posted, however.)

19. nwtex says:

Where’s the outrage.

Arthur Schwartz Verified account @ArthurSchwartz
    Jul 18

20. nwtex says:

hahahahHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

21. Deplorable_Infidel says:

St. Paul And The Resurrection

The Apostle Paul, in discussing the resurrection of the dead, came to the simple and valid conclusion: “If there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen” (1 Cor. 15:13).

But the Apostle does not stop here. Hear him as he presses a further argument home: “And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain” (Ver. 14). And this leads to yet another conclusion: “If Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished” (Vers. 17,18).

These are frank words about stern realities. If there is no such thing as the bodily resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised from the dead, and if such is the case we have no living Savior.

But granting all this, can we believe in what is palpably impossible? Ah, but is resurrection palpably impossible? Paul answers this question quite simply in this same discussion, in I Corinthians 15:

“But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? And with what body do they come?” (Ver. 35).

Mark well, this is not an interested inquiry, but a challenge, meant to prove that resurrection is impossible, and the Apostle answers it as such:

“Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened except it die” (Ver. 36).

What a devastating reply! We may point out all the reasons why resurrection is “impossible,” but after all is said and done we are still surrounded by overwhelming evidence that it is a fact. Every blade of grass, every ear of corn, every beautiful flower bears witness to the fact of resurrection from the dead.

Yes, Christ is alive from the dead, and “able to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him…” (Heb. 7:25).

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

• rrick says:

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”
      C.S. Lewis from his book, Mere Christianity

22. Dora says:

All about the boardwalk. Since I was a child, I have loved walking on the boardwalk. There’s just something special about them. I even love the smell of the wood. Alright, so I’m a little weird. .:-)

======

Boardwalk Empire: Atlantic City and Coney Island

23. nimrodman says:

What with Stormy Daniels and now this one, I’m thinking Mueller and the FBI boys have a large-breasts fixation. And probably looking for a date, in that fumbling “I’m an FBI agent, you know” kind of way.
    Hey, I’m just sayin’

Mueller Subpoenas Ex-Manhattan Madam Kristin Davis

24. nimrodman says:

Europe hopelessly and irretrievably gone – latest addendum

Marauding hordes lie in wait to attack buses, assault passengers, loot luggage.

Viral Video Bus Operator Will Halt Service to Brussels No-Go Zone After Attacks on Passengers

“The Flixbus inter-city bus company plans to cancel its service to a station in Brussels North, citing frequent attacks on passengers and threats to drivers.

“Drivers say gangs lie in wait for their buses nearby to the station in the Belgian capital, which also serves as the European Union’s major administrative centre.

“Once they pull in, the criminals pounce, stealing luggage and robbing passengers at knifepoint, while threatening drivers who dare to intervene.”

• nimrodman says:

If that video doesn’t play when you click the > symbol, refresh the page and then right-click the > symbol and choose “open in new tab”. It should take you to the tweet where the video auto-plays.

25. Dora says:

They will sure have some story to tell their child. 🙂

26. amwick says:

Here in the mountains of North East GA:

Joe Diffie is the headliner at our little country fair. It is $12 to get in, and that includes the concert.

We are going to go either this afternoon or this evening.. One of his famous songs, which is just plain funny:

27. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.”
    Genesis 1:3 (KJV)

28. Mike says:

Happy Caturday, folks. Here’s my cat, Jack the Cat;

• Mike says:

OK, here’s a picture of Jack the Cat sitting behind my laptop. He’s watching me as I look at a picture of him on Conservative Treehouse: It’s a little dark and blurry, but oh well.

• Mike says:

Shaking my head. I sure messed the 2nd post up. let me try again:

• smiley says:

healthy good-looking kitty boy.

can tell you’re his best buddy ever. 🙂

• Mike says:

Hi Smiley.

He’s a good cat. Best animal I’ve ever had. When I got him, I think he was a little bit abused. Not badly, just a bit. .

He has a fear or a terror that I’ve picked up. He’s terrified of being abandoned. Like, left on the side of the road or something. I will never abandon him ever, but he has no way of knowing that,

I’m planning on taking him for drives in the car, or maybe camping with me, and then, of course, taking him home with me. That way he can see for himself that I’m not going to abandon him. We go out, but then we come home. Over time and a number of trips , I figure he’ll see that he has nothing to worry about.

I’m not looking forward to putting him in the car for the first time. That will be an ordeal. I’ll probably get scratched, but oh well, it won’t be the first time.

• smiley says:

sounds like a good plan.

except…better put him a carrier in the car…nevermind being scratched….if he panics, he might try to wedge under your feet while you’re driving…and get down under the gas pedal or clutch.

happened to me once driving a stick-shift Jeep w/ kitty in the car going only a couple of miles…kitty kinda freaked and tried to hide under my feet….I couldn’t brake or shift gears w/out smashing him…it was the last time I ever put a cat in a car without a carrier.

• auscitizenmom says:

Another problem with him being loose in the car. We were moving and had the kitty in the car loose. Things were fine until he hit an area where they were doing road work and had to stop. There was equipment and workers everywhere. My husband rolled down the window to ask a question, and……..whoosh, out the window the scared cat went. Luckily, my husband felt him go and grabbed him by the tail and jerked him back in the car or we would have lost him forever in all that confusion.

• Mike says:

Hi auscitizenmom, Deplorable_Infidel, and smiley again

I was thinking of using the car carrier I have, and I agree with the advice. I’ve tried a harness already, and he fought against it very hard. He won that round. He’s kind of semi-feral. I did try a regular collar – around the neck – and he had no problem with that.

Think I’m going to start small – a ride in the car – with the car carrier. And maybe get him used to the collar. Or try the harness again. And work my way from there. Camping may be a few steps down the road. Or I may just do a short camping trip upfront. I have a big tent and he may be OK with it.

Cat Logistics. man. They can be tricky. At least i have a place to go – CATURDAY – if I have questions.

OK, I gotta log off and keep doing things in meat space. See ya’ll later at some point in time, possibly. Remember, KYPD.

• auscitizenmom says:

If you plan on going camping, you should probably get him used to a harness and leash. Cats tend to run away in the woods. I would put the harness on him at home and let him get used to it over time, like days or weeks before I took him out. Take short trips, too and then stretch them out if you want to.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“or maybe camping with me,”

You never know how a cat will react in different circumstances, especially if/when something unexpected or startling comes up. I would highly recommend that you get the cat used to wearing a harness around the house for a little every day so he gets used to it. Then when the cat is out with you outside of a carrier, you ALWAYS have a long, light leash on that harness -just in case.

• piper567 says:

Deplorable, a good friend is right now engaged in this exercise…kitties have not yet been outside…And she is doing the harness-thing with the second one now…in-house…really funny.
              But it shows how kitties much be acclimated…wise move.

• auscitizenmom says:

That’s cute. 🙂

29. Jeff says:

Trying again…

30. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

31. nikkichico7 says:

In Touch Ministries
    Daily Devotional

Godly Wisdom
    JULY 21 2018 SATURDAY
    Ephesians 5:6-17
    Life is really just a series of decisions. Most of them are small and seem inconsequential, while others could change the course of our life. Whether choices are major or minor, we need to know how to make wise ones that align with God’s will.

Our thinking is limited to what our finite minds can perceive and understand. Relying on our own assessment of the situation and possible options could easily veer us away from the Lord’s will. Even the smartest among us are foolish compared to an infinitely wise, omniscient God.

Godly wisdom requires the right perspective as well as the appropriate action—that is, it seeks to gain the Lord’s viewpoint and respond according to scriptural principles. Such wisdom asks, How would God interpret these events? What would He want me to do? Then it answers these questions, based on the truth of God’s Word. That’s why becoming very familiar with Scripture is so important. The time to prepare for future decisions is now. If we consistently read and study the Bible each day, we’ll acquire a sound base for making wise choices whenever they arise, because we’ll understand what pleases and displeases God.

The Lord has also given us His Holy Spirit as our guide and enabler. He gives us understanding of Scripture and wise direction, convicts us when we drift into sin, and empowers us to obey God’s commands.

All that we need to live wisely has been provided by the Lord, but it’s up to us to access it. Self-reliance will always lead us away from God’s will, but obedience to Him will make us wise
    Dr. Charles Stanley

🌹

32. nikkichico7 says:

Happy Caturday

😸

33. Mike says:

This guy is great – Kevin Richardson, the Lion Whisperer: He’s somehow made friends with wild lions and a hyena, too.

34. Your Tour Guide says:

This isn’t about Caturday ( although ours is keeping
    watch atop a spare mattress, lined up next to the wall).

It’s about aluminum. A few weeks back there was some
    discussion about steel and aluminum tariffs. The steel part
    I could fully understand. The aluminum end of it kind of went
    over my head. But, if it’s to fire up U.S. aluminum production,
    it could be a far more wonderful thing then we realize.

I grew up around boats and RVs. My dad and grandpa had
    boats from when I was in third grade. My uncle had a sucession
    of campers. First a fold down, and ultimately a 22 foot long trailer.

In the late 60s, we rented a houseboat, a 40 footer with aluminum
    out skin. All of the houseboats at the time had similar siding, with
    few exceptions. All of the fold down campers, travel trailers, and
    Winnebago motorhomes at the time similar siding.

Anybody ever see the movie “Tin Men?” It’s a movie with
    Danny Devito and Richard Dreyfus. They play a pair of unethical
    aluminum siding salesmen in the mid 60s. During that time, until
    maybe the mid 70s, many wood frame homes were resided with
    aluminum. Other then periodically needing repainting, it held up
    extremely well. Then it disappeared. Replaced by vinyl.

In the mid 70s, aluminum sheathing disappeared on houseboats.
    Replaced by fiberglass panels. It took awhile longer, but alimunum
    sheathing disappeared from mobile homes by the 80s. Travel
    trailers, fold down campers, fifth wheels all had different siding by
    roughly the 90s. Was it aesthetics? Was it the cost of materials?
    Was it lack of availabilty of the product due to smelting facilities
    being shut down? Or, maybe it was tariffs. Remember ALCOA,
    anyone? Aluminum Company of Canada? Canada was an
    aluminum powerhouse.

Anyway, if it was the cost of the product, lack of availability, or
    being taken out of production due to lack of smelting facilities,
    aluminum will be making a comeback. Could it start showing
    up in products such as motorhomes, campers, smaller
    houseboats and the like? Could it enlarge ( or reopen) plants
    in places such as Elkhart Indiana, Somerset, and Albany
    Kentucky? If so, think along these lines.

The RVs, campers, houseboats , motorhomes of the 60s and
    70s were for middle- middle to upper middle income households.
    People moving up, or empty nesters, or retirees. The product was
    smaller, less elaborate, less expensive. That buying public has
    been bankrupted by job loss, cost of living expensives. WIth the
    new jobs being created, the same demographic will be coming
    roaring back within the next five years.

Will we be seeing aluminum sided folds downs, travel trailers,
    smaller houseboats ( they’re all 60 feet plus now) being made
    for them to purchase? Everything smaller and more modest
    quite being built by the late 80s. If the cost of aluminum killed
    the modest camper and houseboat, we could be witnessing
    a renaissance. Keep a watch. Consider being on the ground
    floor if you see it happening.

• Jim in TN says:

ALCOA used to stand for the aluminum company of America. Started in Pennsylvania. Built itself a company town here in Tennessee and named it Alcoa. But now the tariffs are hurting their selling us Canadian made aluminum. Might as well be named the aluminum company of Canada.

• Your Tour Guide says:

Thanks for the correction, Jim.

Think I was basing that off of an all aluminum houseboat
        that was built in Canada, the Alcan. Memory’s faded a bit
        over the years. Thought that Alcan was a division of Alcoa.
        Probably wasn’t quite right. Alcan houseboats still go for
        quite a bit of money in good shape. Was considered superior
        product. If the smelting operations are moved stateside,
        then maybe we’ll see what I’ve outline above. Looking for
        others that are knowledgeable to continue the dialogue on
        industries that utilize aluminum in their construction.

Houseboats now predominantly use aluminum in the hull
        construction. But, almost all now built are enormous. Only
        the wealthy need apply.

• Jim in TN says:

Your memory is probably right. After all the ‘American’ aluminum company is making aluminum for America in Canada. That is why the tariffs are hurting them.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“During that time, until maybe the mid 70s, many wood frame homes were resided with
      aluminum.”

The nice thing about aluminum siding is that it can be electrified easily to keep out “undesirables”. Of course, nowadays there are “laws” against doing such things. However, in times of rioting and other civil unrest some people choose to be judged by twelve (a jury), rather than carried by six (pallbearers).

• Your Tour Guide says:

ALUMINUM PRODUCTS, part 2

A heavy discussion (literally)

A number of years ago YTG bought an older boat, An
        aluminum Starcraft Runabout. For a fixer upper product.
        Still have it. The money sort of dried up when the “Suprise!”
        child was born.

Anyway, it’s 16 feet long, fairly deep, and will take an 80hp
        engine. It only weighs 600 pounds. I think that the material
        used on newer hulls might be thicker, but aluminum boats
        now weigh a LOT more. Like 900 plus pounds for something
        of comparable size, without any extra heavy gold plated
        accessories. Again, don’t know if it’s due to material thickness,
        or maybe it’s a change in smelting formulations. But aluminum
        boats now weigh a lot more, so they’ve lost a prior advantage
        in regards to fiberglass ( less, weight, less engine, less gas).

The same phenomenon is happening with outboard engines.
        Of course, the technology has changed. Everything is now 4
        cycle, but the engines are much heavier. Again, the product has
        always been made with aluminum. A 40 hp outboard used to
        weigh 125 to 140 pounds. It’s now over 205. The technology
        has changed to 4 instead of 2 cycle, but I noticed that the last
        few years that 2 cycles were made, they were considerably
        heavier then their predecessors, also. DIfference in casting,
        material thicknesses? Anyone know? This is both for boats and
        outboards. And this is for something downline other then
        answers to trivia. Could the differences be because of using
        other then U.S. built aluminum? P.S. most U.S. outboards of
        40 hp or less are now rebadged Japanese built products.

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

Airstream’s new “Basecamp” looks like a fun thing to have.

• Your Tour Guide says:

Jackson Center, Ohio made.

A little town out in the cornfields. Airstream has done a
        lot for Jackson Center. Their city park, pool is named for
        Wally Bynam, the founder of the company.

35. Mike says:

Last Caturday post, as I have to get things done. Will probably check back for any replies, though.

Fritz the Cat represents the antifa commie personality. The police are not portrayed in a positive light, neither are the blacks. Fritz the Cat is a drug addict or on drugs in this scene. Note how when things get nasty, he runs away. Agitates, then runs away. Typical commie

Language is salty.

Here you go:

36. Jeff says:

I have an older laptop with a weak CPU and 4Mb of memory. I’m prepping to try out Linux for the first time. I’ve learned that I can “try before I buy” by running the OS from a USB stick. I’ve settled on Ubuntu and Mint, going to try them both. I value the insight of Treepers. Any thoughts before I start later today? By the way, I’m a lifelong Windows guy. I wouldn’t hit an Apple product with your….uh, nevermind.

• PaulM says:

I’ve been running linux on multiple systems for many years.
      I’m happy with it and there’s lots of applications available (many free). You do have to bump up your skills a little when it comes to system maintenance but there’s plenty of knowledge out there. I found it’s good to have two systems so you can go online with one to get information if you need to troubleshoot the other.
      I run Debian, it ticks like a watch and it’s secure unlike MS and Apple.

• Jeff says:

Thanks, Paul. One of my concerns is internet security. On my MS platform, I run a certain Russian (gasp!) app, you should be able to guess which one. Are there similar apps available on the Linux platform?
        I’m about finished with “reading up.” I’m going to dive in, skipping RTFM.

• PaulM says:

Here’s a link to a list of the apps that are available for my version of linux https://packages.debian.org/stable
          There are a whole lot more available elsewhere but some of those you have to be able to compile and build to install and that’s a little beyond entry level (but easy to learn).
          I wouldn’t skip the RTFM part as when you have to work from the command line (and you will at some point) it’s very helpful to have a couple of good books.
          Good luck and once you get comfortable with linux, you’ll never go back to the data mining operating systems.

• Jeff says:

“Cover me, I’m going in!”
            Thanks again, Paul. I’m about to burn the ISO’s to the sticks. I’ll let you know how it went in a while.

• Jeff says:

Update:
            Boot to Ubuntu – success
            Boot to Mint – success
            Interwebs connection established in both.
            Now I have to see if my password manager comes in Linux flavor, otherwise I have to do it the hard way.
            I forget which one, but I’m pleased to see that one of them comes with the Open Office suite; it’s what I use on my Win desktop. And photo editor and music player, one is pretty much like the others so no problem there, that’s pretty much all I’m going to need on the laptop.
            Now comes the fun part – tweaking and adjusting. That should keep me off the streets and out of trouble for a little while.
            In my preliminary investigation, I got the impression that Debian was geared toward the intermediate and advanced user, so I passed it by, settling for the training wheels for now. Later, as I grow more comfortable, I’ll check it out.
            Tangent: Do you remember Computer Shopper magazine back in the 90’s, when each monthly issue was the size of the Miami phone book? Ah, those were the golden days of computing! I learned more about computing from that book than from any other single source, except the MS-DOS Encyclopedia. I bought my first rig during those times, a Packard-Bell 486/SX-25 with a “cavernous” 210MB HDD. Nowadays, a single one of my photos would fill 5 of those drives.
            I remember reading once, if the auto industry had progressed like the computer industry, cars would get 1,000 MPG and cost 100 bucks.

37. Jeff says:

The forecasters are saying that we might exceed the highest temperature ever recorded in Dallas this weekend, at 113 degrees.
    I say, “Bring it! Is that all you got?!”
    “That which does not kill me, makes me stronger.”

38. BigMamaTEA says:

39. BigMamaTEA says:

40. BigMamaTEA says:

41. Dora says:

Michael spends the first minute or two promoting his website, but after that this Vortex is very interesting.

42. BigMamaTEA says: